Author Topic: Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4,SIE)  (Read 29901 times)

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4,SIE)
« Reply #200 on: January 27, 2021, 05:05:42 pm »
I really enjoyed the art design in horizon. Thank you Mike, RIP

Offline Judge Redd

• Kemlynite
« Reply #201 on: January 29, 2021, 03:42:03 pm »
Nice to see this thread bumped. One of my favourite games of this generation, and to date my only PS4 platinum. I had an immense amount of fun with this, loved the story, Aloy's character and the setting.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #202 on: January 30, 2021, 01:43:29 am »
Nice to see this thread bumped. One of my favourite games of this generation, and to date my only PS4 platinum. I had an immense amount of fun with this, loved the story, Aloy's character and the setting.

By this, do you mean trophy?  Christ.  I was looking at them the other day and I've only got about three more that I can preview - the rest are all hidden trophies ;D

Think I'm about 35% through the main story.  Been to Daytower and Meridian, and I can't really do anything story-wise but open up some new-to-me areas in the north of the map.

Actually having a few days off it, as I was feeling a bit burned out by it - between a quiet new year, Covid, work being quiet, and there being nowhere to go in the evenings, I think I'd played about 25 days straight.  Only an hour or so, but I was starting to feel like it was where I was most focused so a few days in the real world is good for me ;D  Tomorrow night, I reckon...

Offline Judge Redd

• Kemlynite
« Reply #203 on: January 30, 2021, 07:55:11 am »
Yep, my one and only platinum trophy. I don't have a lot of time to game these days (job, kids etc.) so usually I don't have the time or the will to sink the effort into going after a platinum. Had so much fun in H:ZD though that it didn't seem like a chore... except the Hunting Ground that's supposed to be a test of stealth, and is nothing of the sort  ??? ???

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #204 on: January 30, 2021, 08:11:01 pm »
My only platinum is on Spyro ;D

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: May 28, 2021, 04:57:45 am »

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: May 28, 2021, 08:54:57 am »
Graphically that's really impressive. They've made everything a lot more dense like the foliage. Much higher LOD. In terms of gameplay it just seems like an evolution of the first which is great for me as I really enjoyed that aspect of HZD. I already thought there was a good bit of variety in approaching enemies and how to take them down differently and they've added a grappling hook which will give you more options along with a glider.

I was actually intrigued with the story (not the characters so much) in the first as well as the world Guerilla had built so I'm interested to see where that goes.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: May 28, 2021, 09:34:31 am »
It looks gorgeous. I really need to play the first one before this comes out!

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #208 on: May 28, 2021, 09:50:16 am »
Looks awesome that, can't wait.

I take it there's still no release date?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #209 on: May 28, 2021, 12:09:32 pm »
One thing I’m not a fan of is the constant lighting around Aloy. She’s lit completely independently from her surroundings, even when I shadows. Looks so odd, like she’s in front of a green screen. 

Apart from that (and the overall cartoony aesthetic they’re going for this time), it looks great.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: May 29, 2021, 05:07:31 am »
It looks gorgeous. I really need to play the first one before this comes out!

It's a fantastic game mate. Interesting story, beautiful open world and one of the best protagonists in any open world game in my opinion.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: May 29, 2021, 01:35:31 pm »
One thing I’m not a fan of is the constant lighting around Aloy. She’s lit completely independently from her surroundings, even when I shadows. Looks so odd, like she’s in front of a green screen. 

Apart from that (and the overall cartoony aesthetic they’re going for this time), it looks great.

Noticed that myself, especially on the hair.

May be a way of making sure she’s always able to be seen by the player though.

Play a game like Hood for example and you can’t see a fucking thing when you’re hiding in the bushes so it’s tough to judge what way you’re facing ect.

Online Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: December 17, 2021, 03:35:59 pm »
Giving this a bump as I’ve finally gotten round to playing it having downloaded it for free a few months back.

Absolutely fantastic game, shades of Zelda Breath of the Wild in terms of the story but obviously a touch less fantasy about it. Really really enjoying it, I’ve just got to the point where Aloy is told that she is a seeker, the cutscene at the end of the proving took me by surprise to say the least.

Offline GiorgosCarraGoonies

• Kopite
« Reply #213 on: December 17, 2021, 04:35:41 pm »
Giving this a bump as I’ve finally gotten round to playing it having downloaded it for free a few months back.

Absolutely fantastic game, shades of Zelda Breath of the Wild in terms of the story but obviously a touch less fantasy about it. Really really enjoying it, I’ve just got to the point where Aloy is told that she is a seeker, the cutscene at the end of the proving took me by surprise to say the least.
It's incredible.  I only played it during the first lockdown and couldn't get over how much I loved it.  The sequel is going to be absolutely unreal.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: December 21, 2021, 10:59:26 pm »
Horizon Forbidden West, 95gb download on PS5 without the day one patch.

Going to be a massive game that!

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #215 on: February 13, 2022, 03:50:56 am »
Five more days until we are in the Forbidden West; I noted the game has already been downloaded to my Playstation on Friday. Press reviews are released tomorrow.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 03:59:47 am by kopite321 »
During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: February 13, 2022, 05:29:23 pm »
I'm sad it's PlayStation only, would love to play that on release. Hope they bring it to PC faster than the original! Interested to see what they do with the story, seems unlikely to match the gravity of the first one.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: February 13, 2022, 07:01:40 pm »
If the world is as big as the first (and it sounds like it’s bigger) then it’s gonna be a big time consumer!
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: February 14, 2022, 09:02:25 am »
Reviews are out, currently sitting at an 88

A fair few reviews saying it’s a lot better and more alive than the first one, but then giving it a low score which I don’t understand.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: February 14, 2022, 06:06:49 pm »
This looks and sounds wonderful. I really need to play the first one though.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #220 on: February 14, 2022, 07:30:16 pm »
I don't think the first one got a PS5 upgrade so I'm never gonna play it now

This new one seems good though

https://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps5/horizon-forbidden-west

Overall, Horizon Forbidden West is a huge improvement on its predecessor. The map is diverse and full of stunning sights; characters and conversations are so much better; and the already great gameplay is enhanced with new weapons, more options, and better melee. The story doesn't have quite the same element of surprise as the first game, but it still builds upon things with some daring twists of its own. Any minor quibbles we have melt away when the game's firing on all cylinders. It's a gorgeous, wildly fun action RPG, and there's nothing else quite like it.

Offline Disregarder

• Andshe'llripyerknackersoff
  • Anny Roader
  • TV's own
« Reply #221 on: February 14, 2022, 07:55:36 pm »
I enjoyed the first game and thought its story, lore and world ideas original and captivating. The graphics, especially of the landscapes were stunning. What let it down for me a bit was some of the gameplay mechanics like the fact that upgrading weapons and armour was pointless after a while and that it was too easy to take down huge monsters and entire bandit camps by hiding and sniping. It also suffered from a lack of variety of side quests, something that I find with lots of open world games. The Eurogamer review I read suggested that these issues remain with the Forbidden West so I might wait until its on sale before shelling out . Would love to hear what it's like from someone on here when they've put a bit of a shift in on it.
My 8k rig goes boom
PSN: OireCocobean

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: February 14, 2022, 08:57:31 pm »
I don't think the first one got a PS5 upgrade so I'm never gonna play it now.

It got a 60fps upgrade, well worth a play.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: February 16, 2022, 02:00:21 am »
I enjoyed the first game and thought its story, lore and world ideas original and captivating. The graphics, especially of the landscapes were stunning. What let it down for me a bit was some of the gameplay mechanics like the fact that upgrading weapons and armour was pointless after a while and that it was too easy to take down huge monsters and entire bandit camps by hiding and sniping. It also suffered from a lack of variety of side quests, something that I find with lots of open world games. The Eurogamer review I read suggested that these issues remain with the Forbidden West so I might wait until its on sale before shelling out . Would love to hear what it's like from someone on here when they've put a bit of a shift in on it.
Exactly the problem I had with it. Didn't really care much for the side characters or quests, but then again, I rarely do in other similar games either. It felt like the game became really unbalanced past a certain point. Some of the progression system became pointless, under-utilized, or just redundant because the game just didn't seem to be designed well enough to make use of them. Once you got the sharp-shooter arrows, you could basically just cheese most of the dino bots, including the big T-Rex one. Just target the fuel tanks on every one of them with those arrows. No need for tactics or the other weapons that were supposed to be used in a enemy specific tactical sense, or were, at least early on.

Hopefully this new one fixes these things, or at least makes them more engaging.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: February 16, 2022, 11:36:34 am »
I found the training ground areas pretty good for diversifying the combat with specific requirements against the monsters. But once you completed those and got that hunter lodge bomb-slinger thingy I was just blowing the fuck out of everything with it, using it 80% of the time because it was so strong and very satisfying. Despite that criticism I still think the ranged/projectile based combat, with the variety of different ammunition and element types, felt fresh and innovative compared to most games though.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: February 16, 2022, 12:37:19 pm »
Maybe its just me but I always thought that was part of the fun. You could spend a good twenty minutes trying to take down a Thunderjaw at one point in the game, and then return later and absolutely batter it in about two. Or override it and get it to cause some havoc. This sort of open world game where you level up is always going to have that sort of thing. Had a playthrough of the Witcher 3 recently, went to try and do the Byways murder quest and got killed by a ghoul with one hit. Go back a bit later and slice them up quickly.

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #226 on: February 16, 2022, 04:09:05 pm »
Patch 1.04 just released
During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: February 17, 2022, 01:40:59 pm »
Cant wait to get on this after work tomorrow. Apart from the match got the weekend free so planning on smashing through as much as I can, especially side quests as read they are massively improved. Bought a PS5 specifically for this so hopefully lives up to expectations.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: February 17, 2022, 02:14:22 pm »
So where would one get the cheapest PS4 disc version?

Offline GiorgosCarraGoonies

• Kopite
« Reply #229 on: February 18, 2022, 01:11:44 pm »
Booked a day off for this game.

Postman couldn't get to the house due to snow.

FML

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: February 18, 2022, 05:58:54 pm »
This looks and sounds wonderful. I really need to play the first one though.

Yup.  From everything that I've seen on the new one, it's very much a sequel in many respects.  For example, there are deffo a number of characters from Zero Dawn other than Aloy who you won't properly know if you jump straight into the second game.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #231 on: February 18, 2022, 07:26:01 pm »
Playing through this now in preparation for Forbidden West. Took me a while to get into it mainly due to the combat not being great but love the exploring and foraging round the map. Heard the combat is much improved in the new one as well so looking forward to it

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #232 on: February 19, 2022, 02:45:30 am »
Been worth the wait… outstanding.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: February 19, 2022, 09:23:45 am »
My copy arrived yesterday but I've been replaying the first in preparation. Two quests left of the main game and then I'll try frozen wilds which I never played. I'm glad I replayed it though, I literally forgot most of the characters in the game, even Ted Faro.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: February 19, 2022, 02:14:23 pm »
My copy arrived yesterday but I've been replaying the first in preparation. Two quests left of the main game and then I'll try frozen wilds which I never played. I'm glad I replayed it though, I literally forgot most of the characters in the game, even Ted Faro.

Frozen Wilds is a great DLC. 

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #235 on: February 19, 2022, 02:48:20 pm »
God I wish Aloy existed when I was a little girl.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: February 19, 2022, 09:57:03 pm »
Frozen Wilds is a great DLC.
Just started it mate. It's good so far, I know it's probably not needed for Forbidden West but feel like I'm not ready unless I've clocked it.

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: February 19, 2022, 10:32:56 pm »
So finally entered the forbidden west properly so had a good bit of playing as been meandering plenty. Definitely seems more polished than the first one on most things. Although not sure the new climbing is a step up from the last one. It's not all out climbing as there are still definite hand holds that light up when you do a focus pulse although there are a lot more of them, they all lead on the same if not similar route with a touch more choice. While it looks more natural than the last title it's no more free. And because there's a choice it does the same frustrating stuff as assasins creed and jumps a direction you don't expect. I've had to climb back down to go across to be able to go up. Just a minor frustration though. Everything else so far has just felt crisper and I'm still only getting started

« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 09:12:37 pm by macca007 »

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: February 19, 2022, 11:07:44 pm »
Tempted to get another Station for this,Ghost of T & TLOU
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: February 20, 2022, 09:12:47 pm »
So finally entered the forbidden west properly so had a good bit of playing as been meandering plenty. Definitely seems more polished than the first one on most things. Although not sure the new climbing is a step up from the last one. It's not all out climbing as there are still definite hand holds that light up when you do a focus pulse although there are a lot more of them, they all lead on the same if not similar route with a touch more choice. While it looks more natural than the last title it's no more free. And because there's a choice it does the same frustrating stuff as assasins creed and jumps a direction you don't expect. I've had to climb back down to go across to be able to go up. Just a minor frustration though. Everything else so far has just felt crisper and I'm still only getting started

In fact I've now changed my mind slightly on this. While it is frustrating when you go a different direction, annoying rocks you couldn't get up previously are now in bits climable. Remember in zero dawn around the west of the map there was a giant lake with cliffs off it. But you couldn't climb them so had to swim right around. This is all despite aloy being a boss climber, unless you found hand holds you had no option but to swim right till you could carry on. Now that problem is solved at least