Author Topic: The RAWK Football Coaching Circle  (Read 109259 times)

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
Re: The RAWK Coaching Circle
« Reply #200 on: February 16, 2011, 06:36:24 pm »
Was working on one of the clubs football clinics. Was a brilliant couple of days. Standard Chartered really looked after us. Seen a little of London on the way back home Sunday night. I'm definitely going to pay it a tourist type visit. You should go to Tottenham mate and tell me where's good to go in London :)

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: February 22, 2011, 11:34:55 am »
Just spent two hours understanding the FA's new coaching development structure. Bit of a joke how it's been changed. Hardly any coaching courses in the North West after completing the Level 2. This seriously needs changing. I understood the courses needed to be adapted but I didn't believe they had to be changed of where they where delivered. I don't understand how placing a lower percentage of courses, with a complicated coaching structure, will help with the development of improving coaching in this country and helping the development of players.

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: February 22, 2011, 11:45:01 am »
Just spent two hours understanding the FA's new coaching development structure. Bit of a joke how it's been changed. Hardly any coaching courses in the North West after completing the Level 2. This seriously needs changing. I understood the courses needed to be adapted but I didn't believe they had to be changed of where they where delivered. I don't understand how placing a lower percentage of courses, with a complicated coaching structure, will help with the development of improving coaching in this country and helping the development of players.

Is this the structure you're on about?

If so, I'm wondering why they've either scrapped / ignored the psychology pathway?

Oh and also, what's the deal with claiming the L2 is the first part of a B licence? The two structured delivered in the courses are astonishingly different, and the gap in difficulty between the two is huge.

If I were being hopeful, I'd say the UEFA B Prep course could be very useful... but the cynic in me would suggest that perhaps it's just another course for the sake of making some money and keeping the instructors busy.

Edit: I've just had a look and apparently there are no UEFA B courses within 100 miles of Liverpool or Manchester. That can't be right?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 11:53:36 am by Col »
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: February 22, 2011, 12:31:14 pm »
It's pretty similar to before Col but now you have to apply to do the top end coaching course. That's understandable considering what I've heard from your self and other coaches regarding the B Licence. My disappointment is that their are two B Licence course in the North West only, non in Merseyside. Also the Youth Module route is slightly mixed because now they say you either need your Level 2 + Youth Module 1 & 2 to enrol on the Youth Module Level 3. UEFA don't recognise the English Youth Development Modules. So the only way of improving with a 'recognised' qualification is doing the B Licence, with one course unatainable and the other in Knutsford. I find it slightly embarrassing when the FA Discuss coach development. Also they haven't stated when and where these Youth Module 3 courses will be. I think they will be nationally so again I can't see Merseyside being represented again.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #204 on: February 22, 2011, 12:44:31 pm »

If so, I'm wondering why they've either scrapped / ignored the psychology pathway?

Because all coaches trained by the FA are confident...  ;)
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: February 22, 2011, 01:11:48 pm »
It's pretty similar to before Col but now you have to apply to do the top end coaching course. That's understandable considering what I've heard from your self and other coaches regarding the B Licence. My disappointment is that their are two B Licence course in the North West only, non in Merseyside. Also the Youth Module route is slightly mixed because now they say you either need your Level 2 + Youth Module 1 & 2 to enrol on the Youth Module Level 3. UEFA don't recognise the English Youth Development Modules. So the only way of improving with a 'recognised' qualification is doing the B Licence, with one course unatainable and the other in Knutsford. I find it slightly embarrassing when the FA Discuss coach development. Also they haven't stated when and where these Youth Module 3 courses will be. I think they will be nationally so again I can't see Merseyside being represented again.

So, say you go the FA Youth award route, get the L3, then do the FA Award 17+, does that get recognised as the same as a UEFA A?

If so, surely the Youth Award L3 should get recognised as it's UEFA equivalent? Plus to get the Youth Award L3, you need to do the L1 and L2, as well as having your FA Level 2, right?)

I'm confused ;D

Because all coaches trained by the FA are confident...  ;)

This, my friend, is true.

I fully believe I haven't got a clue what's going on.

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: February 22, 2011, 04:50:50 pm »
After the Module 3 Col I believe they are recognised but they aren't haven't declared even if they are doing Module 3 Badges. Even if they do, am guessing it will be National Courses or if Local it will be in Greater Manchester again.

I'm just dissapointed with the B Licence and no courses in Merseyside.

Offline Pepe Reina Is Rafas Son

• This must be Pepe's Mother, who else would know?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: April 11, 2011, 11:17:15 pm »
We are just a group of mates and we have entered an 11 A Side team in an Astro League.

The problem we have is that we are quite a small team in terms of height so when it comes to attacking and defensive corners we struggle.

Anybody any tips on how to improve both our attack and defence at set-pieces?

We don't do any training as it's just an Astro League and more for fun.

We at present have a man on each post when defending corners and it has saved us a few times.

:wave
Stabbed your boss in the back, the man who made you fucking European Champions, and got in the man you wanted as manager. Just because Rafa wouldn't fucking cuddle you enough and fucking wank you off while telling you how fucking great you are.

Offline scousepower

• Legacy Fan
  • A Child of The Rafalution
« Reply #208 on: April 25, 2011, 12:48:51 am »
I'd say to try and just get bodys in the way when defending set pieces, like when the opposition player jumps up for a header, force him off balance, back into him, shove him, whatever you can do to make it more difficult. Go height for height, get your biggest player marking their biggest player when defending a set piece.

When attacking set pieces e.g. a corner, I would get your taller players around the back post, benefits of this being that if the ball is played high they can put it back into the mix and make it more difficult for the opposition to defend.

good luck with it.
'Hi Paul im from The S*n' 'Im from the Earth, now fuck off'

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: May 7, 2011, 03:16:45 am »

Offline Walshy7

• metete un palo por el culo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Its evolution baby
« Reply #210 on: May 7, 2011, 05:37:50 am »
Set this up here in New Zealand, going quite nicely so far... www.kindykickers.com

'You two scousers are always yappin, im gonna teach you some serious rappin, i come from Jamaica my name is john barnes, and when i do my thing the crowd go bananas'

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: June 8, 2011, 03:11:05 am »
Did anyone else get the FACA email about the new UEFA B course then?

I had a bit of a mooch around the site, and found the listings for this years courses.

Have a look at the locations. Only two courses (Knutsford and York) north of the Midlands. That's a joke.

07/08/2011 Wokefield Park, Reading

29/08/2011 Royal Navy FA, Portsmouth

29/08/2011 Worcester University, Worcester

29/08/2011 Egerton Football Club, Knutsford

12/09/2011 Gresham Playing Fields, Nottingham

19/09/2011 Hillingdon Athletics Stadium, Uxbridge

10/10/2011 Cobdown Sports & Social Club, Aylesford

23/10/2011 York College, York

24/10/2011 Tavistock College, Tavistock

31/10/2011 Herts FA, Letchworth

Refresher course: 06/09/2011 Wokefield Park, Reading

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: June 8, 2011, 09:00:50 am »
That's what I was on about while back Col. Considering all we hear about is how the English players aren't technically developed compared to other countries, I find it amazing how the coaching development structured isn't being delivered to the whole of England.

Frustrating considering they have offered plenty of Youth Development Modules up North. Maybe I'm being cynical but they are placing more courses in between the Level 1, 2 and 3 to possibly make more money. I could be wrong though :)

Offline scousepower

• Legacy Fan
  • A Child of The Rafalution
« Reply #214 on: June 8, 2011, 01:48:33 pm »
Has anyone here been abroad and got their coaching qualifications? I've been entertaining the idea of going to somewhere like Holland to do my level 3, obviously I'd have to learn the language and that but I'm wondering if it could be done without having to get their equivalent of a level 2 before. Also is the qualification that much better than the one which I would be doing in England?
'Hi Paul im from The S*n' 'Im from the Earth, now fuck off'

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #215 on: June 8, 2011, 01:49:31 pm »

Frustrating considering they have offered plenty of Youth Development Modules up North. Maybe I'm being cynical but they are placing more courses in between the Level 1, 2 and 3 to possibly make more money. I could be wrong though :)

We feel the same way about the USSF and its multiple layers of courses over here.

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: June 8, 2011, 02:24:06 pm »
Has anyone here been abroad and got their coaching qualifications? I've been entertaining the idea of going to somewhere like Holland to do my level 3, obviously I'd have to learn the language and that but I'm wondering if it could be done without having to get their equivalent of a level 2 before. Also is the qualification that much better than the one which I would be doing in England?

The UEFA B as delivered over here is considered stronger than most associations.

When I had it, we had people come from Qatar, Holland, USA, India and even Scotland to take part.

We feel the same way about the USSF and its multiple layers of courses over here.

I'm still undecided whether to go for the USSF 'C', or NSCAA National, as neither will let me start any higher... does it make much of a difference either way?

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #217 on: June 8, 2011, 05:01:37 pm »

I'm still undecided whether to go for the USSF 'C', or NSCAA National, as neither will let me start any higher... does it make much of a difference either way?

do the C, will find getting a gig far easier with USSF accreditation...

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: June 9, 2011, 03:00:48 am »
do the C, will find getting a gig far easier with USSF accreditation...

Thanking you.

How's the spring season gone?

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #219 on: June 9, 2011, 02:26:47 pm »
Thanking you.

How's the spring season gone?

Meh.  Finished up at the small club in Darkest Alabama, commuting between Daphne and Atlanta this summer for camps and tryoputs at Tophat, a much better set-up.  Although the girls, and their parents, are a bit posh, i.e. very entitled. 

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: June 9, 2011, 02:35:52 pm »
Meh.  Finished up at the small club in Darkest Alabama, commuting between Daphne and Atlanta this summer for camps and tryoputs at Tophat, a much better set-up.  Although the girls, and their parents, are a bit posh, i.e. very entitled. 

That's not a commute, it's a bloody vacation!

Are you going full-time at TopHat in the fall then?

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #221 on: June 9, 2011, 03:26:24 pm »
That's not a commute, it's a bloody vacation!

Are you going full-time at TopHat in the fall then?

Yeah, and it's a pretty good gig. Staff Coach, which basically means I cover training and matches for the Technical Director and Coaching Director when they are away with one of their three teams. So I'm not running my own show with any of the three teams with which I will be working, which might be seen as unfortunate.  On the other hand, when some budding parental football genius gets her panties in a twist, it won't be me who is her target because I'm not the coach.

Now if we can only sell the house in Alabama... :D

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: July 27, 2011, 04:13:36 pm »
I was coaching kids from South Africa the other day. Was refreshing to see players appreciative and respectful to the sport provision they were provided. It's crazy how facilities and equipment are treated by the young and old from England.

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: July 30, 2011, 07:19:51 pm »
I was coaching kids from South Africa the other day. Was refreshing to see players appreciative and respectful to the sport provision they were provided. It's crazy how facilities and equipment are treated by the young and old from England.

Did you say you were doing the community stuff with the club mate?

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: July 30, 2011, 09:47:38 pm »
Did you say you were doing the community stuff with the club mate?

Yes mate. To be honest it was the first time I've coached non British youngsters. It was amazing to see the difference.

How are you getting on, sorted your Level 3 assessment?

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: July 30, 2011, 11:43:37 pm »
Yes mate. To be honest it was the first time I've coached non British youngsters. It was amazing to see the difference.

How are you getting on, sorted your Level 3 assessment?

No mate not yet - been granted a 6 month extension because I'm never in the country. I'll look to do it over the winter sometime as I'll no doubt be back for a few weeks. What was the deal with the South African kids?

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: July 30, 2011, 11:50:56 pm »
No mate not yet - been granted a 6 month extension because I'm never in the country. I'll look to do it over the winter sometime as I'll no doubt be back for a few weeks. What was the deal with the South African kids?

Where abouts are you now?

It was a club who had come over to play in a tournament in Scotland. After finishing that they had a few spare days and were flying home from Manchester. One of the few days they took the kids to Anfield for a tour and I had to coach them for an hour down the road, I'm guessing this was all organised by the club. Was good mate, had a laugh with them.

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: July 31, 2011, 12:42:11 am »
Where abouts are you now?

It was a club who had come over to play in a tournament in Scotland. After finishing that they had a few spare days and were flying home from Manchester. One of the few days they took the kids to Anfield for a tour and I had to coach them for an hour down the road, I'm guessing this was all organised by the club. Was good mate, had a laugh with them.

Currently in America mate, about to start the Fall season with my 800-player club and a women's college team. Should be fun!

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: July 31, 2011, 08:30:22 am »
Currently in America mate, about to start the Fall season with my 800-player club and a women's college team. Should be fun!

Wow that's good that.

800 players! That's going to be some registration list.

The woman's football is a good standard out there isn't it?

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: July 31, 2011, 01:33:54 pm »
Yup, glad I don't deal with registrations!!

The womens stuff should be a decent level - the college teams essentially feed the Pro setup as there's no real semi-pro or academy setups as such, and that's generally how all American sports work anyway. My team is a Division II school but we haven't started pre-season yet so I'm not quite sure what to expect... I know a few D1 players though and they'd safely run rings around 95% of the lads I know! ;D

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: July 31, 2011, 07:55:05 pm »
It's mad isn't it when girls are better than you. I was on a course the other week with a few girls from Everton, they were very good!

Offline Degs

• sy's midnight runners.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: July 31, 2011, 07:59:29 pm »
Yup, glad I don't deal with registrations!!

The womens stuff should be a decent level - the college teams essentially feed the Pro setup as there's no real semi-pro or academy setups as such, and that's generally how all American sports work anyway. My team is a Division II school but we haven't started pre-season yet so I'm not quite sure what to expect... I know a few D1 players though and they'd safely run rings around 95% of the lads I know! ;D
Genuine query but does this not instill an attitude that sports should be run by academic organisations from primary school right up until University, I'd imagine schools have more important things (or even more important sports) to worry about.

I'm an U8 (about to go U9) manager and because our club isn't anything but a football club that's what we're focused on.

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: August 3, 2011, 12:52:37 pm »
Genuine query but does this not instill an attitude that sports should be run by academic organisations from primary school right up until University, I'd imagine schools have more important things (or even more important sports) to worry about.

I'm an U8 (about to go U9) manager and because our club isn't anything but a football club that's what we're focused on.

Whilst playing through middle school and high school, players will play club soccer as well - this can be at any level from 'recreational' to 'premier'. The playing year is split into two seasons, spring and fall - and only played in the schools in spring.

When they get to college level, the players are treated as full-time athletes during the spring and fall, but have time off from it over winter and summer - although they might have fitness programs to  adhere to.

I'd say you're looking at it from the wrong angle - it instills budding athletes with academic knowledge and something to fall back on if they don't make it.

University sport is a massive deal here, especially the (american) football - players are treated as pros, play televised games, have 60-odd thousand seater stadiums to play in, and generally live like kings - all while still being in university. If the players' academic grades drop, they often aren't allowed to play come the weekend.

Like all systems, it has its pros and cons - the pros being that the players get a full education whilst working towards their athletic goals, but obviously the cons are that they don't belong to a soccer-specific academy or play competetive club games all year round after the age of about 13 or 14.

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #233 on: August 3, 2011, 02:06:28 pm »
Whilst playing through middle school and high school, players will play club soccer as well - this can be at any level from 'recreational' to 'premier'. The playing year is split into two seasons, spring and fall - and only played in the schools in spring.

When they get to college level, the players are treated as full-time athletes during the spring and fall, but have time off from it over winter and summer - although they might have fitness programs to  adhere to.

I'd say you're looking at it from the wrong angle - it instills budding athletes with academic knowledge and something to fall back on if they don't make it.

University sport is a massive deal here, especially the (american) football - players are treated as pros, play televised games, have 60-odd thousand seater stadiums to play in, and generally live like kings - all while still being in university. If the players' academic grades drop, they often aren't allowed to play come the weekend.

Like all systems, it has its pros and cons - the pros being that the players get a full education whilst working towards their athletic goals, but obviously the cons are that they don't belong to a soccer-specific academy or play competetive club games all year round after the age of about 13 or 14.

The USSF, in its typical ham-handed fashion, is trying to fix the club competitive games problem with the Development Academy, within which many clubs are insisting on a year-round commitment from players, removing them from high school soccer. The California and Texas clubs have already done so, and more geographical groupings within the Academy are expected to follow suit. 

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: August 3, 2011, 10:50:36 pm »
The USSF, in its typical ham-handed fashion, is trying to fix the club competitive games problem with the Development Academy, within which many clubs are insisting on a year-round commitment from players, removing them from high school soccer. The California and Texas clubs have already done so, and more geographical groupings within the Academy are expected to follow suit. 

How do you think that's going to work out?

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: August 3, 2011, 10:53:30 pm »
Interesting posts these lads. Learnt some stuff there. Keep up the good work!

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: August 3, 2011, 10:58:47 pm »

Sorry about the late reply mate. I've just been reading through these posts again. What is the structure like where you are?

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #237 on: August 4, 2011, 12:24:05 pm »
How do you think that's going to work out?

I don't, really. Clearly, it would be better from a player development perspective for players not to play high school football, since the general standard is so poor. But parents want them to play so they can sit in the stands and feel proud, blah, blah, blah. And since the money flows from parental purses to clubs, the parents tend to get what they want.

I'll be surprised if many regions follow the Texas/California lead in Development Academy...

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #238 on: August 4, 2011, 12:26:54 pm »
Sorry about the late reply mate. I've just been reading through these posts again. What is the structure like where you are?

Courses with letters, with the F license being the lowest and the USSF A License being the highest level license one can obtain. But there are all sorts of secondary licenses popping up, goalkeeper training, fitness training, coaching director, audit courses to maintain your A License accreditation, the USSF does appear to be squeezing the coaching teat in a fairly rough manner...

Offline Flinstone

• Whatever you like. Would like to slip it in without making it awkward... Chinese Information Minister
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #239 on: August 4, 2011, 07:28:34 pm »
Interesting thread.

the structure in england/america/australia seems to be a bit messed up.the cost of coaching badges according to some of the posts here are around 300 quid.after which its difficult to get a job unless you know someone.is it true that the only way you can make a living having this as your primary and sole occupation are from roles such as DOC onwards?

the way the game is progressing does anyone see the upper level roles going to highly specialized candidates leaving a sort of glass ceiling unless off course you land a gig at the top tier clubs which realistically very few will be able too?
The West is finished, China is the future