Author Topic: NBA Discussion  (Read 603846 times)

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: NBA Discussion
« Reply #5360 on: July 22, 2018, 01:04:42 am »
Pick up ball is some serious business. ;D
gives me an excuse for this

https://youtu.be/aPKDSQP6MvQ

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5361 on: July 22, 2018, 10:19:57 am »

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5362 on: July 24, 2018, 10:42:43 am »
I certainly think Kawhi’s game will drop a cliff or two this year, Raptors fans will consider themselves lucky when he signs with a Los Angeles team. Basketball gods just do not forget.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5363 on: July 28, 2018, 03:50:28 pm »
Capela signs 5 years 90M. I think Rockets did very well there, they probably saved about 20M.

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #5364 on: July 29, 2018, 08:26:07 am »
Assuming he comes back healthy and actually plays next season, not sure I'd agree with the assumption that he stats would drop off a cliff. Not unless you think Pop's system covered up his flaws and made him play above his level?
He might even increase his output,  if healthy.  His game wasn't based on spot up shooting or playing off thr ball, he's more than capable of getting his own points, and fundamentally sound and intelligent enough to thrive in probably any offensive scheme. This isn't Melo shifting to another team. ;D

And agree, the deal for Clint was a steal. Not sure how his agents didn't push for more. I'm not comfortable with theidea that players should be okay sacrificing on their deals for the sake of the franchise and team building. Probably the only issue I had with Duncan is that he seemingly set the benchmark for the 'right way ' a player should sacrifice for their franchise by signing contracts below value. Still remember how much flak Kobe got for signing a max rather than sacrificing. The owners are the billionaires,  let them sacrifice costs.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5365 on: July 29, 2018, 03:38:50 pm »
Melo: OKC just wasn't a good fit

http://www.nba.com/article/2018/07/26/carmelo-anthony-says-stint-oklahoma-city-thunder-wasnt-good-fit

"At the end of the day, it wasn't a good fit," he said. "I think last year -- and I haven't talked about this before -- everything was just so rushed, going to the team for media day and the day before training camp. Them guys already had something in place, and then I come along in the 25th hour like, oh s---, Melo just come on and join us. Like, you can figure it out since you've been around the game for a long time. That's why it was so inconsistent. At times, I had to figure it out on my own rather than somebody over there or people over there helping me."

Paul George acknowledges that playing with Carmelo Anthony "just didn't work"

https://www.givemesport.com/1362805-paul-george-acknowledges-that-playing-with-carmelo-anthony-just-didnt-work

“As much as I loved playing with Melo and having Melo alongside us, I understand the decision of both sides,” George said, per Michael Lee of Yahoo Sports. “It just didn’t work. It didn’t work.”

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5366 on: July 29, 2018, 03:40:47 pm »
Assuming he comes back healthy and actually plays next season, not sure I'd agree with the assumption that he stats would drop off a cliff. Not unless you think Pop's system covered up his flaws and made him play above his level?
He might even increase his output,  if healthy.  His game wasn't based on spot up shooting or playing off thr ball, he's more than capable of getting his own points, and fundamentally sound and intelligent enough to thrive in probably any offensive scheme. This isn't Melo shifting to another team. ;D

And agree, the deal for Clint was a steal. Not sure how his agents didn't push for more. I'm not comfortable with theidea that players should be okay sacrificing on their deals for the sake of the franchise and team building. Probably the only issue I had with Duncan is that he seemingly set the benchmark for the 'right way ' a player should sacrifice for their franchise by signing contracts below value. Still remember how much flak Kobe got for signing a max rather than sacrificing. The owners are the billionaires,  let them sacrifice costs.
And Dirk. They are probably the only ones who got much less than they should've.

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5367 on: July 29, 2018, 05:53:50 pm »
And Dirk. They are probably the only ones who got much less than they should've.

Yup, him too.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5368 on: July 29, 2018, 06:40:13 pm »
It never ceases to amaze me that players are supposed to make sacrifices for the team when the owners enjoy a salary cap.  Well, technically, what amazes me is that the public seem to side with owners so often.  Millionaire players are greedy, but the Billionaire owners somehow aren't.

God knows how Marvin Miller would be received by the sporting public these days.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5369 on: July 29, 2018, 06:44:53 pm »
What did Marvin miller do?

As for the owners getting the % of BRI for the salary cap down when there was a lockout fuck ‘em over what players want to get paid, just bin off the max deal and let teams pay whatever they want for guys, and that cap is why a lot of basketball teams who make far less than the top football clubs are worth a lot more generally, clippers went for $2bn which is more than what LFC would and they are literally the third tenant after the lakers and kings in their building and aren’t relevant unless when they’re decent (unlike the Knicks/Celtics/lakers)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 06:46:45 pm by Lush is the best medicine... »

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5370 on: July 29, 2018, 07:07:18 pm »
What did Marvin miller do?

As for the owners getting the % of BRI for the salary cap down when there was a lockout fuck ‘em over what players want to get paid, just bin off the max deal and let teams pay whatever they want for guys, and that cap is why a lot of basketball teams who make far less than the top football clubs are worth a lot more generally, clippers went for $2bn which is more than what LFC would and they are literally the third tenant after the lakers and kings in their building and aren’t relevant unless when they’re decent (unlike the Knicks/Celtics/lakers)

Marvin Miller allowed baseball players to earn something like they deserved, and to have something like the rights of the average worker, in that they could take their talents to the highest bidder.

And that cap, yes, allows teams to be valued so highly.  But who's benefitting from a team being valued in the billions?  Fans?  No.  Already rich men buy teams because they have a system in place that allows them to make money off the back of the people who are playing the game.  Even worse in America is that these owners expect to have the public pay for new stadia when they fancy it.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: NBA Discus
« Reply #5371 on: July 29, 2018, 08:37:21 pm »
Marvin Miller allowed baseball players to earn something like they deserved, and to have something like the rights of the average worker, in that they could take their talents to the highest bidder.
cheers

Even worse in America is that these owners expect to have the public pay for new stadia when they fancy it.
theres a clip of David stern from around 1994 in the new Seattle arena talking about how great it was, and a decade later expecting the local government to build a new one, enormous pisstakers those who do stuff like that, Atlanta braves gettingthe Olympic stadium knocked down and rebuilt and 20 years later saying they need to get out is another one

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5372 on: July 30, 2018, 10:42:52 pm »
BT sport have lost the NBA rights, rumoured to eleven sports who have the rights in a few countries and also have the La Liga and serie A rights. Hope they show the jump as that’s one of the best sports shows out there, but I doubt it if bt still have that espn partnership

Offline Working Class Hen-Pecked Hero

• Is something to be...Lives at 999 Letsby Avenue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5373 on: July 30, 2018, 10:44:30 pm »
BT sport have lost the NBA rights, rumoured to eleven sports who have the rights in a few countries and also have the La Liga and serie A rights. Hope they show the jump as that’s one of the best sports shows out there, but I doubt it if bt still have that espn partnership

Who will that go through now then in the UK, are they Sky then?
I'm telling you, Bowie died and it's all gone to fuck.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5374 on: July 30, 2018, 11:21:05 pm »
Yeah and they lost the UFC. Shite I used to record a lot of matches and watch them the next day. If it does go to Eleven Sports they’ll surely have to set up a channel or 2 on Sky, Virgin etc., and not just have online streaming.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5375 on: July 31, 2018, 12:31:12 am »
Yeah and they lost the UFC. Shite I used to record a lot of matches and watch them the next day. If it does go to Eleven Sports they’ll surely have to set up a channel or 2 on Sky, Virgin etc., and not just have online streaming.
im sure I read the original plan was to do online only at the start, can see them possibly doing a free/low sub price for a year or two to get subscribers and then jack up the prices

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5376 on: July 31, 2018, 10:50:44 am »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/basketball/45018003

All-time great basketball player, just as good a person.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5377 on: July 31, 2018, 11:07:41 am »

Yep, this should be talked more and more. His charity is spending 41M$ on children. Hope all athletes have that sense of giving back.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5378 on: July 31, 2018, 02:34:30 pm »
In mentioning historic franchises in sports he mentions the Manc tarts, but doesn't mention us, the day before he wears our gear.

Come on Bron get it together

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #5379 on: July 31, 2018, 10:08:15 pm »

LBJ >> MJ.

Don't @ me.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline LFC_1981

• Legacy Fan
  • The Glory round Anfield Road!
« Reply #5380 on: August 1, 2018, 12:25:30 am »
In mentioning historic franchises in sports he mentions the Manc tarts, but doesn't mention us, the day before he wears our gear.

Yeah he let me down with that.

Offline LFC_1981

• Legacy Fan
  • The Glory round Anfield Road!
« Reply #5381 on: August 1, 2018, 12:26:55 am »

No way first I’ve heard. No need to restart my BT now then.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5382 on: August 1, 2018, 12:59:38 am »

to be fair Liverpool isn’t a franchise as that’s what American teams are, man united is as close as a European team is to one

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5383 on: August 1, 2018, 03:46:34 am »
If it was meant as a backhanded compliment to the Mancs then he's just become my favourite human being ever (oh yeah, and for the charity stuff).

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5384 on: August 1, 2018, 11:59:37 am »
NBA Reaches Gaming Partnership Agreement With MGM

The NBA has reached agreement with MGM to make the company their first official gaming partner.

As part of the deal, MGM will use official NBA data on its betting platform and work with the league to detect and prevent fraud and game-fixing.

The value of the partnership with MGM was not disclosed.

The NBA will also look to sign similar agreements regarding its data with other sports betting operators.

MGM has sponsored the NBA's Summer League in each of the past two years.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/31/sports/nba-betting-mgm.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytsports

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5385 on: August 1, 2018, 12:26:52 pm »
LBJ >> MJ.

Don't @ me.

Certainly a discussion to be had concerning their off the court influence.
Jordan was the benchmark and perfect role model on shifting from only being an athlete to becoming a sporting/business brand. He in turn followed Magic's example in that aspect. But he's not a social warrior, very silent on social issues, and though incredibly generous with his charities is certainly a step away from the likes of Jabber before him and Lebron after him in terms of how they view their role as athletes. Shouldn't be anything that protrays him in a negative light, it is unfair to always assume minority athletes will always be beacons of social debate and stances.

Lebron is something else. Incredible that he lacks a formal education beyond highschool, and has never played for a coach within the top tier of the game. Resisted pressure from outside to build his own empire whilst plugging in his own peers and childhood friends in places of power. To their credit, they've run with it and built their own respectable business outside of his umbrella. Just shows, sometimes people just need opportunity.

H's really grown on my over the latter half decade or so. Privilege to have seen his era unfold (and Magic, Bird, Jordan, and Zeke!).

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #5386 on: August 1, 2018, 03:56:50 pm »
Certainly a discussion to be had concerning their off the court influence.

H's really grown on my over the latter half decade or so. Privilege to have seen his era unfold (and Magic, Bird, Jordan, and Zeke!).

@SBondyNYDN
On CNN, LeBron James said Donald Trump created an environment where people are more comfortable being racist. Asked what he’d say to Trump if he were seated at the interview, LeBron answered, “I would never sit across from him.”

Popovich/LeBron/Kerr 2020. Not particlarly bothered who goes where on the ticket, but Steve Kerr would make a great Secretary of State.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5387 on: August 1, 2018, 05:27:33 pm »
Carmelo Anthony on coming off the bench: “I know how to play this game of basketball... I’m not going to do that.”

They really shouldn't have signed this guy imo. PJ Tucker should start imo withoit question or Green if Tucker is rotated to PF.
Melo just doesn't realize he is far from his peak years just like Allen Iverson didn't want to accept in his last few years. He is no longer a star, should stop talking as if he is 3rd star of Rockets. There is a reason you are signed to minimum. He should've signed for last big pay day for a Chinese team anyways.

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5388 on: August 1, 2018, 07:53:13 pm »
Melo has always been about Melo. Always.
Talented as they come putting the ball in the basket, but he's not a team player.
Always makes his future decisions solely on where he can get paid the most. And no harm in that, being successful at getting paid is it's own merit, but he's not concerned as much with team success as he is with "Melo" success.

He said the same thing last season when he joined OKC, of course he'd say the same this season.
At least the likes of Kobe, players that could never accept not being good enough to start, you knew he gave his absolute all on the court and even more off the court preparing his mind and body for the game. Melo's just mellow about that sort of committment.

Dumb move by Houston, in my opinion. At this stage of their careers, best to stay away from the likes of Melo and Wade. They're living off their reputation at this stage of their careers, yet too stubborn/proud to accept a new role that would benefit their team.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5389 on: August 1, 2018, 07:55:06 pm »
Would go as far as saying I’d favour OKC over Houston in a series next season if all are healthy

Offline Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #5390 on: August 1, 2018, 08:22:29 pm »
I have never liked Melo. He was never going to be the number one guy on a Championship team, despite his talent. He doesn't seem to have that killer instinct or the urge to win either
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5391 on: August 1, 2018, 08:26:54 pm »
Dumb move by Houston, in my opinion. At this stage of their careers, best to stay away from the likes of Melo and Wade. They're living off their reputation at this stage of their careers, yet too stubborn/proud to accept a new role that would benefit their team.
Not a fan of Wade here by any means but is there a case his ego doesn't accept coming off the bench?

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5392 on: August 1, 2018, 10:27:57 pm »
I have never liked Melo. He was never going to be the number one guy on a Championship team, despite his talent. He doesn't seem to have that killer instinct or the urge to win either
not the only one to be fair, Dwight Howard being another example

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5393 on: August 2, 2018, 06:01:31 pm »
I dont understand this 'not accepting bench role' talk. What is he gonna do if he is made to come off the bench? Go on strike?

Do players now decide when they start? Please enlighten a newbie to the game

Offline Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5394 on: August 2, 2018, 06:21:33 pm »
not the only one to be fair, Dwight Howard being another example

Yup, he definitely fits into that mould. Their egos are too big to accept they are not the best of the best.

Offline Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5395 on: August 2, 2018, 06:25:17 pm »
I dont understand this 'not accepting bench role' talk. What is he gonna do if he is made to come off the bench? Go on strike?

Do players now decide when they start? Please enlighten a newbie to the game

I think a lot of it has to do with player power. Most of these guys know each other very well, and in many cases have played with each other either as kids or professionals, and teams are small compared to other sports (football, American football, baseball), so ultimately players have more influence in the locker room.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5396 on: August 2, 2018, 07:04:34 pm »
I think a lot of it has to do with player power. Most of these guys know each other very well, and in many cases have played with each other either as kids or professionals, and teams are small compared to other sports (football, American football, baseball), so ultimately players have more influence in the locker room.
This case is easy as he'll do what coach says in this case as he is playing for the minimum and they will ship his ass out if he makes a noise. He will probably not get another chance in the NBA given how his OKC and Rockets experiences turned out.

But in his mind, he is saying this to kind of force the coach to give him starter minutes imo rather than being a starter. Otherwise Mike D'Antoni can start him for 6 minutes and not play him whole game afterwards.

Offline Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5397 on: August 2, 2018, 08:24:54 pm »
This case is easy as he'll do what coach says in this case as he is playing for the minimum and they will ship his ass out if he makes a noise. He will probably not get another chance in the NBA given how his OKC and Rockets experiences turned out.

But in his mind, he is saying this to kind of force the coach to give him starter minutes imo rather than being a starter. Otherwise Mike D'Antoni can start him for 6 minutes and not play him whole game afterwards.
It's probably difficult for him, but he could be huge off the bench by alleviating the need for Harden and CP3 to constantly be on the court and either score or create baskets. He still won't replace the impact Ariza had on the team, but at least he will add some sort of depth to their bench.

With that being said, I fully expect him to start alongside Harden, CP3, Tucker, and Capela.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5398 on: August 2, 2018, 09:42:47 pm »
Yup, he definitely fits into that mould. Their egos are too big to accept they are not the best of the best.
when you consider guys like nowitzki, ginobili, wade, Barkley (albeit he was shot at the end when he came off the bench), all better and greater players could handle it (ginobili was happy to do it when he was at his peak and he was an obvious first ballot HoFer at that point!!!)

indeed, basically one more fuckup and he’s a taller, non Vaseline eating Stephon Marbury

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5399 on: August 3, 2018, 02:08:14 pm »
Damn, Blake Griffin will pay 280k a month child support bill