Author Topic: A time to reflect honestly or nothing to worry about ?  (Read 54855 times)

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: A time to reflect honestly or nothing to worry about ?
« Reply #160 on: June 26, 2022, 10:59:25 am »
Not just new personnel either, though I am sure we will make a signing here or there. I think we really fatigued toward the end of the season, and I wonder if we can utilise the wider squad more next season. 

That'll happen when you play every single game possible in a really long and overpacked season.  Not only did we play every game, but every game mattered, and the physical and mental toll that takes is simply exhausting. 

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #161 on: June 26, 2022, 12:39:20 pm »
I hate that we need to win so many games to be in with a chance every year. It's bordering on inhuman. The financial doping is like us on a bicycle and City on a motorbike. The idea of Newcastle joining in at some point over the next few years is also tedious. What a pity the authorities don't have the balls to call them out.
At the same time, the new line up from after all of the summer horse trading we will have is still a speculative entity. Whoever goes or stays is going to be in a thrilling team, that much already looks sure. So that means I am miffed rather than worried, with far more anticipatory pleasure. Compare that with my Blackburn Fan neighbour, who nearly ended up with big Dunc from across the park as their manager.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 12:41:17 pm by markedasred »
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline Barrow Shaun

• Legacy Fan
  • Off the coach, through the park.....
« Reply #162 on: June 26, 2022, 02:17:40 pm »
I said when we won the League that anything that follows is a bonus in my life. Just enjoying it and glad at least someone (us) are giving City a challenge in recent years or else the Premier League becomes very boring very quickly.
officially accepted RAWK source of information

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #163 on: June 26, 2022, 03:05:41 pm »
We're some way into seeing 2nd generation under Jurgen Klopp. Replacing the orginal front 3 is a mammoth task, what we can say is through previous experience is we've got more decisions right than wrong in terms of personnel so far. On that basis, I'm happy to give the club the benefit of the doubt when it comes to managing the transition.

Offline Barrow Shaun

• Legacy Fan
  • Off the coach, through the park.....
« Reply #164 on: June 27, 2022, 12:32:13 am »
We're some way into seeing 2nd generation under Jurgen Klopp. Replacing the orginal front 3 is a mammoth task, what we can say is through previous experience is we've got more decisions right than wrong in terms of personnel so far. On that basis, I'm happy to give the club the benefit of the doubt when it comes to managing the transition.

Exactly. We've got a new 100m euro striker, Carvalho and the young Scottish lad at the back, already.

Things change, that is a certainty, and I trust these lads to manage that change. On we go.....
officially accepted RAWK source of information

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #165 on: June 27, 2022, 10:46:01 am »
I hate that we need to win so many games to be in with a chance every year. It's bordering on inhuman. The financial doping is like us on a bicycle and City on a motorbike. The idea of Newcastle joining in at some point over the next few years is also tedious. What a pity the authorities don't have the balls to call them out.
At the same time, the new line up from after all of the summer horse trading we will have is still a speculative entity. Whoever goes or stays is going to be in a thrilling team, that much already looks sure. So that means I am miffed rather than worried, with far more anticipatory pleasure. Compare that with my Blackburn Fan neighbour, who nearly ended up with big Dunc from across the park as their manager.
:thumbup

In ordinary times we'd be looking at the sorts of transitions we did in the 70s and 80s with the sales of Keegan (money used to sign Dalglish, Souness and Hansen!), Souness (Molby) and Rush (Aldridge).  It's all a bit skewed because of the bottomless nature of what we're up against that it almost feels like we *need* the front five from last season and Darwin - just not possible in a world where accounts need to balance.

Realistically something beyond our control needs to change - the stupidly conceived European Super League felt like a bit of a cry for help from the traditional powerhouses of European football - but until then those running the club, very much inclusive of Klopp, are working wonders to keep our pedal bike up and around the motorbikes!

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #166 on: June 27, 2022, 11:01:24 am »
:thumbup

In ordinary times we'd be looking at the sorts of transitions we did in the 70s and 80s with the sales of Keegan (money used to sign Dalglish, Souness and Hansen!), Souness (Molby) and Rush (Aldridge).  It's all a bit skewed because of the bottomless nature of what we're up against that it almost feels like we *need* the front five from last season and Darwin - just not possible in a world where accounts need to balance.

Realistically something beyond our control needs to change - the stupidly conceived European Super League felt like a bit of a cry for help from the traditional powerhouses of European football - but until then those running the club, very much inclusive of Klopp, are working wonders to keep our pedal bike up and around the motorbikes!

yet the clubs that need ousting would have been in it too.

Whole thing needs ripping up and starting over at this rate. But it will just get worse now that Saudi Arabia have been welcomed into the premier league.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: June 27, 2022, 11:38:19 am »
yet the clubs that need ousting would have been in it too.

Whole thing needs ripping up and starting over at this rate. But it will just get worse now that Saudi Arabia have been welcomed into the premier league.
Yes, it was undoubtedly a stupid idea and I'm sure the motives were different for each club sucked into it.  I think for FSG the prospect of assured and forecastable income would have played a big part as the current alternative is spending a few seasons outside the CL, making the gulf to the state owned clubs unbridgeable (does anyone realistically expect Arsenal, for example, to be contending with Man City at any point in the next decade?!).  It felt the ESL proposal was pretty much the "ripping up and starting over" proposal.

I think the ESL was a terrible idea and it still stings that we as a club were involved.  With FFP evidently entirely toothless I'm not sure what other options are left for retaining a playing field based on merit and not endless wealth.

When people talk up how Man City are well ran it always conveniently overlooks the many bad transfers they have made or that they let so many valuable assets drift to the point of worthlessness (Aguero, David Silva and Fernandinho, for example).  No club run with a sustainable model could have sucked up those losses without having had a penalty in terms of not signing somebody or having to sell someone they'd rather not in order to balance the books.  Man City just replaced, indirectly, the three that left on free transfers with £200m+ of new signings (Haaland, Grealish and Phillips).

Offline Razors Razor

• Sworn enemy of Occam's Occam.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #168 on: July 4, 2022, 07:46:52 am »
Last season...

In regards to the finals the players were at the tale end of a long hard season. What was it, 60 odd games played? That's a lot. Going into the new season and the subs situation should address players who are knackered. 5 subs allowed means if we are winning comfortably, we could chuck on squad player or kid who's on the bench.

In regards to the midfield lack of creativity, the lad from Fulham could possibly address that, Harvey also perhaps.

I wouldnt be worried. Salah has signed, we have Nunez where City have an injury prone striker along with a south american kid that could take a while to adjust. They are also selling 2 great players in Sterling and Jesus. That to me is a bit mad, but I'm happy about it as I truly think that will weaken them, if only by a percent/1 point, which may be all we need to get the title.

Up the fucking reds.

Offline nerdster4

• Anny Roader
« Reply #169 on: August 22, 2022, 10:15:10 pm »
Some of what’s happening was staring us in the face

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: August 22, 2022, 10:20:31 pm »
Nothing to worry about. I can’t believe we are even having such a debate. How spoilt is our supporter base thag we can’t contextualise this start to the season? I think it says more about our supporter base than the club quite frankly.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline nerdster4

• Anny Roader
« Reply #171 on: August 22, 2022, 10:53:40 pm »
By contextualise do you mean injuries ? Because that in no way explains what’s going on .

Offline KirkVanHouten

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: August 22, 2022, 10:54:56 pm »
Nothing to worry about. I can’t believe we are even having such a debate. How spoilt is our supporter base thag we can’t contextualise this start to the season? I think it says more about our supporter base than the club quite frankly.

This is a terrible start and it’s not spoilt to acknowledge that. There is no ‘context’ that makes these three results against these three teams acceptable. The results are one thing but they actually flatter us. We could justifiably have 0 points. The performances have been disgraceful and we’re yet to spend a minute of a game leading the opposition.

I just don’t see how a Liverpool supporter wouldn’t be worried right now. We start games looking like we’ve already played 90 minutes but we haven’t played in over a week. We create no chances and teams let us have the ball. We lose every second ball. We’re slow and easy to predict. We’re being pressed more than we press. We’re playing players who haven’t been good enough to start for years at this point in Firmino and Milner. When I look at our injuries only really Thiago and Jota seem like they could change our play at all. The rest of them are just squad players. 

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: August 22, 2022, 10:55:48 pm »
The beauty of it is that there's time to dip into the transfer marjet and/or modify our gameplan. It has been found out.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: August 22, 2022, 10:58:36 pm »
We shouldnt really worry about it because a) we have had a great run, b) we have a world class manager, c) we have loads of amazing footballers who are good ages.

But of course right now its shite and we do need a few more players but we will be challenging again.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: August 22, 2022, 11:02:16 pm »
It's been a terrible start to the season. We need to wake up, realise the season has started and focus on the job. Yes, we're unlycky having so many players out. All teams will go through a tough period. This is one for us. We have enough quality to get out of it and start winning games. That however requires our best players to lead the way. Too many are not there yet. Our options are limited so it's down to the ones on the pitch to get their act together. We know they have it in them.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: August 22, 2022, 11:04:26 pm »
We shouldnt really worry about it because a) we have had a great run, b) we have a world class manager, c) we have loads of amazing footballers who are good ages.

But of course right now its shite and we do need a few more players but we will be challenging again.

Exactly. I just don’t get why people are in such a tizz right now. Many should listen to Klopp’s interview after the game - he speaks such sense and thankfully cut from the right cloth. Got to take the rough with the smooth and iron problems out on the training pitch. I always have supreme confidence in our management to do just that. Thankfully they don’t listen to the nonsense supporters spout after a game.

Supporters should enjoy the journey a bit more. I really believe this. We got beat tonight and it really isn’t a big deal when the club is run so well. I was more concerned in the past before Klopp arrived because we were always a bit of a shambles off the pitch.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Oh Jimmy Jimmy

• Main Stander
« Reply #177 on: August 22, 2022, 11:35:11 pm »
The upside of tonight’s defeat is that it’s better not to be in a title challenge, than to lose it on the last day ( twice). That Manager and those players have given us 3 title challenges and 3 CL finals in the past 4.5 years and it’s probably beginning to show…even the likes of Robbo are looking jaded.

Sadio went for an easier life and it’s hard to go full pelt again. Use this season to bed in Diaz, Nunez, Konate  and maybe Harvey, and move Trent to midfield to become our DeBruyne rather than our Cafu…Joe will be a much better right back than centre back.

Pep goes at the end of the season after another procession ( see PSG and Bayern) and then try and win two leagues in 3 of Jurgen’s remaining seasons to go ahead of United….with Jurgen's second great team.

This season  should be about the transition without the match by match title pressure, and go all out for the Cups.

Offline nerdster4

• Anny Roader
« Reply #178 on: August 22, 2022, 11:48:02 pm »
Are we flexible enough to manage the next few matches until jota konate Thiago are back , until Nunez is settled ? Can we play 3 at the back , take the heat off vvd , Trent , rest Roberson , stop starting Milner and firmino ? Can we get a loan in ?

We don’t normally do these things but we need to do something .

Because unless there is a transformative change in many players performances and quick we are going to see a prolonged version of 20/21..

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #179 on: August 23, 2022, 03:22:58 am »
Exactly. I just don’t get why people are in such a tizz right now. Many should listen to Klopp’s interview after the game - he speaks such sense and thankfully cut from the right cloth. Got to take the rough with the smooth and iron problems out on the training pitch. I always have supreme confidence in our management to do just that. Thankfully they don’t listen to the nonsense supporters spout after a game.

Supporters should enjoy the journey a bit more. I really believe this. We got beat tonight and it really isn’t a big deal when the club is run so well. I was more concerned in the past before Klopp arrived because we were always a bit of a shambles off the pitch.
Well said mate.

I guess being philosophical and patient and taking both triumph and disaster equably isn't as emotionally satisfying as shouting and screaming and stamping one's feet and telling the would how YOU would do it better than the best manger in the world.

Sport comes with no guarantees, not if you are a non-doped, non-cheating, normally funded team. Maybe things will continue to be tough for us for a while. If so then so be it, take the rough with the smooth and remember all the joy we've had from this team, these players and this manager, while you're sharpening your knives.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Xanderzone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: August 23, 2022, 03:28:43 am »
I'd name a newborn after Jurgen but I couldn't understand why he put the players through such a hard preseason given the amount of games we played last year, the nations league, the EC incoming etc

This is not me being wise after the event by the way. When Milner gave that interview saying it was the toughest preseason he ever done, I was baffled.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #181 on: August 23, 2022, 05:27:57 am »
Is it possible for everyone to be out of form at the same time?
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: August 23, 2022, 05:50:05 am »
I'd name a newborn after Jurgen but I couldn't understand why he put the players through such a hard preseason given the amount of games we played last year, the nations league, the EC incoming etc

This is not me being wise after the event by the way. When Milner gave that interview saying it was the toughest preseason he ever done, I was baffled.

We dont really know what happened behind the scenes and it feels like its something players would say. Interestingly City have opted for a lighter approach apparently.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #183 on: October 7, 2022, 06:08:38 pm »

'‘The whole system has failed’: five Liverpool fans on the Reds’ rocky start':-

Jürgen Klopp’s men head to Arsenal on Sunday off the pace in the title race and performing poorly – we ask supporters why that is and what needs to be done for them to get back on track

www.theguardian.com/football/2022/oct/07/the-whole-system-has-failed-five-liverpool-fans-on-the-reds-rocky-start

^ decent piece in the Grauinad - some familiar names contributing too.
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #184 on: October 7, 2022, 07:25:32 pm »

Jürgen Klopp’s men head to Arsenal on Sunday off the pace in the title race and performing poorly – we ask supporters why that is and what needs to be done for them to get back on track

www.theguardian.com/football/2022/oct/07/the-whole-system-has-failed-five-liverpool-fans-on-the-reds-rocky-start

Rob Gutmann, writer and host for the Anfield Wrap
For a team regarded in May as potentially being the greatest in Liverpool’s history to become unrecognisably mediocre inside four months is hard to process.

I think this gets glossed over too much in how true it is. It's one thing to say maybe we couldn't stay on pace with ManC who are seemingly even better than they were last year but nobody expected the drop off we've seen regardless of any recruitment complaints about midfield. I think this is doubly true about the club itself. Maybe there'd be some variance to be expected but to have it to where your struggling to even compete in games outside of certain windows is a huge shift that there's no way anybody could have predicted. After Sunday's game we'll be at the quarter point of the season and it will probably be fair to say this is what the team is going to be. Maybe there will be games we roll back the clock or moments but otherwise it's probably going to take some real soul searching come next summer on whether more drastic action with the squad needs to be done.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #185 on: October 7, 2022, 07:47:25 pm »
I was out with me Da and me uncle this week and we all agreed that we'll never get back to that mad footie we played for a few seasons .
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Aldo1988

• Legacy Fan
  • Superduperfan & Whopper. Ooh sexist.
« Reply #186 on: October 7, 2022, 08:08:18 pm »
I was out with me Da and me uncle this week and we all agreed that we'll never get back to that mad footie we played for a few seasons .

Never ever or never in the next few seasons with Klopp?
"Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?"

Offline lfcred1976

• Anny Roader
« Reply #187 on: October 7, 2022, 08:09:45 pm »

Need a massive shift in policy from the owners to replace an aging squad. And we all know that won’t happen.

Offline Aldo1988

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: October 7, 2022, 08:11:34 pm »
Think the squad is just drained both physically and mentally (the injuries don't help either).   Maybe a pre-season closer to home and less fitness based would have helped us, but hindsight is a wonderful thing etc.
"Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?"

Offline Aldo1988

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: October 7, 2022, 08:14:48 pm »
Need a massive shift in policy from the owners to replace an aging squad. And we all know that won’t happen.

I'm not on the blame the owners bus, they could put their hand in their pocket a bit more, but they have bought big and successfully bought big (I'm a firm believer that Nunez will come good).  Not sure what would have happened if we did get Tuochamei (sp?!) in the summer, maybe we wouldn't have seen Nunez sign, but who knows?

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: October 7, 2022, 08:48:17 pm »

Rob Gutmann, writer and host for the Anfield Wrap
For a team regarded in May as potentially being the greatest in Liverpool’s history to become unrecognisably mediocre inside four months is hard to process.

I think this gets glossed over too much in how true it is. It's one thing to say maybe we couldn't stay on pace with ManC who are seemingly even better than they were last year but nobody expected the drop off we've seen regardless of any recruitment complaints about midfield. I think this is doubly true about the club itself. Maybe there'd be some variance to be expected but to have it to where your struggling to even compete in games outside of certain windows is a huge shift that there's no way anybody could have predicted. After Sunday's game we'll be at the quarter point of the season and it will probably be fair to say this is what the team is going to be. Maybe there will be games we roll back the clock or moments but otherwise it's probably going to take some real soul searching come next summer on whether more drastic action with the squad needs to be done.

To be honest I don’t think it will take the summer. If we lose both games upcoming to Arsenal and City then that conversation I believe will be close to settled that far more surgery is needed.

Is it a question now? We need a few midfielders. Defence could do with another body come next season. Attack will be losing Firmino. I think we are already looking at 4-5 players.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: October 7, 2022, 09:32:31 pm »

Why does one speke such quandry ?

« Last Edit: October 7, 2022, 09:35:44 pm by kesey »

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Xanderzone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: October 7, 2022, 09:39:58 pm »
I'm not on the blame the owners bus, they could put their hand in their pocket a bit more, but they have bought big and successfully bought big (I'm a firm believer that Nunez will come good).  Not sure what would have happened if we did get Tuochamei (sp?!) in the summer, maybe we wouldn't have seen Nunez sign, but who knows?

We only ever 'buy big' with these owners with player sales.

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: October 7, 2022, 10:15:56 pm »
Well, it's a different challenge for us this season and it may be a different experience to the one we have been lucky enough to have had over the last 5 years or so. Klopp getting the team fine tuned again is what we will be watching or hoping to watch. its what we have got and for me it will be fascinating. It might come soon or maybe it will come later, but it will be interesting all the same and amazing when it does.

hope thats come across right. its meant to be positive.

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #194 on: October 7, 2022, 10:55:30 pm »
To be honest I don’t think it will take the summer. If we lose both games upcoming to Arsenal and City then that conversation I believe will be close to settled that far more surgery is needed.

Is it a question now? We need a few midfielders. Defence could do with another body come next season. Attack will be losing Firmino. I think we are already looking at 4-5 players.

I don't really agree with that. Away at Arsenal and home against ManC aren't games you should be deciding your future on. There is also the fact that there may be nothing that could have been done to catch ManC so if losing both games means our competing for the title is over and that's the bar your setting then maybe it was an impossible bar in the circumstances to begin with and not something you should be making choices off of. I'd say this is more about just struggling for top 4 which clearly seems is going to be a thing.

To that end I'd say in the clubs mind it probably would be a change if there are 4-5 players needed. I doubt they are planning to replace player for player considering the amount of youth filler we have for non-PL/CL minutes. To sign that amount of players would involve actually moving on from some current starters which I doubt is currently under consideration.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: October 7, 2022, 11:17:15 pm »
I don't really agree with that. Away at Arsenal and home against ManC aren't games you should be deciding your future on. There is also the fact that there may be nothing that could have been done to catch ManC so if losing both games means our competing for the title is over and that's the bar your setting then maybe it was an impossible bar in the circumstances to begin with and not something you should be making choices off of. I'd say this is more about just struggling for top 4 which clearly seems is going to be a thing.

To that end I'd say in the clubs mind it probably would be a change if there are 4-5 players needed. I doubt they are planning to replace player for player considering the amount of youth filler we have for non-PL/CL minutes. To sign that amount of players would involve actually moving on from some current starters which I doubt is currently under consideration.

If we lose both games then most likely we will be bottom half having played 9 games, so pretty much quarter of the season. Thats quite frankly a disaster in terms of this season.

The City and Arsenal game give us opportunity to show and the players to have belief that they havent lost everything in terms of still being a top side. Lose both, especially the Arsenal game, and you really get a kicking confidence wise.

In terms of transfers, none of the players we are losing are starters consistently. However, we have to be signing starters in the summer. Not all 4-5 need to be first names on the team sheet, but most of them need to be senior players able to play.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: October 7, 2022, 11:30:48 pm »
If we lose both games then most likely we will be bottom half having played 9 games, so pretty much quarter of the season. Thats quite frankly a disaster in terms of this season.

The City and Arsenal game give us opportunity to show and the players to have belief that they havent lost everything in terms of still being a top side. Lose both, especially the Arsenal game, and you really get a kicking confidence wise.

In terms of transfers, none of the players we are losing are starters consistently. However, we have to be signing starters in the summer. Not all 4-5 need to be first names on the team sheet, but most of them need to be senior players able to play.

That's a nice way of saying we're fucked .

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #197 on: October 7, 2022, 11:36:44 pm »

Even if we were undefeated entering this stretch it still wouldn't be anything out of the norm to drop points to an Arsenal or ManC team in the forms they are in. So the problem in saying your season and future of the squad hinges on these games is all the reasons why your season hinges on these games. The result in those games doesn't change that. You could dominate both games in almost every conceivable statistic but still drop points, what does that then tell you?

For the transfers, if your starting XI is no longer able to obtain a top 4 level of output then what good does signing 4-5 non-starters do? If the worst comes to pass then Keita, Ox, Milner and Firmino being out of contract are the least of the clubs problems. You still have a shit load of money going to players that no longer are playing to the level they are paid at. You're then signing 4-5 players because you're selling some of them or loaning at minimum, not because the others are out of contract.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #198 on: October 7, 2022, 11:39:36 pm »

Surprisingly decent and measured. Only the first guy repeated bollocks. The rest gave quite thoughtful responses. 

The Grauniad must have been disappointed at the lack of apoplexy and blame. Though as usual they were shameless enough to take Jackson's phrase 'The system as a whole has failed' and twist it into the very different and sensationalised 'The whole system has failed' for the headline.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: October 7, 2022, 11:48:13 pm »
not sure fatigue is the issue. surely the coaching staff would have noticed that and acted accordingly.

think we havent got over losing the champions league and league last season.

we will come good again and i do believe that the world cup will have a massive bearing on this season. out of the top 6 we are probably in the best position in terms of players involved in that.