Author Topic: What Car Do You Own/Drive?  (Read 478167 times)

Offline Brissyred

• RAWK's Great Uncle Google......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: What Car Do You Own/Drive?
« Reply #6080 on: August 1, 2022, 11:47:37 pm »
Yep....there's a phone app that lets you do all that....plus, if you leave the car unlocked, you'll get a text and be invited to lock it remotely. You'll then get a confirmation text to say the car's now been secured.

I think all of these features are definitely going to be the new battleground for future buyers who are evaluating different cars in similar classes. Ironically....MG lost MY potential custom immediately because their cars didn't even have an "outside temp" display on the dash. I mean...man....such an easy, standard thing (nowadays) but they opted to leave it out for reasons best known to themselves....and made me (a potential customer) an instant "walk-away."

I mean...it really was a deal-breaker for me!!

Why was that a deal breaker? Surely it makes no difference to the driving or functionality of the vehicle and if you really really need to know what the temperature is you could use a weather app on your phone.

Offline RAWK Meltdown #1

• "Assume they got our phones, assume they got our houses, assume they got us, right here, right now as we sit, everything. Assume it all..."
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • " When You Have To Shoot..Shoot...don't TIKI-TAKA"
« Reply #6081 on: August 2, 2022, 07:15:55 am »
Why was that a deal breaker? Surely it makes no difference to the driving or functionality of the vehicle and if you really really need to know what the temperature is you could use a weather app on your phone.

Inside my house, I have outside temperature gauges (LED) that I wired up years ago. At a glance, I can see what I....(or my disabled wife, OR...the other two disabled people I support professionally) ...are going to be dealing with in terms of outside excursions, clothing requirements etc. Planning to keep vulnerable people warm enough....or cool enough is part of my daily ckecklist. Naturally...this is something I've insisted on being replicated inside the cars I use....as that becomes the "safe place" when they're out and about, but there's still an ongoing need to appraise the changeability of the UK weather.

As for weather Apps....their temperature data is often grossly unreliable, and/or doesn't update quickly enough in "real time" to be trustworthy enough for my purposes.

Trust me...I'm a weather anorak and have tested this extensively.

The BBC weather site for this area is a running joke in our house.

I think they basically do the temperature forecast for London, then knock a few degrees off that for our more northern longitude...and then knock a couple more degrees off because we're "near the coast" and likely get a sea-breeze...and I honestly think THAT is their working formula!!

So...if the "driving and the functionality" of the vehicles I look at gives me a short list of say 4 options to go for....but ONE of these can't be arsed to fit an external temperature gauge in the cab, then for me, that's an easy rejection.....and now I'm only contemplating 3 vehicles.

I realise it's not NASA and we're not going to the moon in these vehicles, but an external temperature gauge has surely got to be seen as "standard" nowadays within the design specs of any modern vehicle?

(Sorry for the length....you DID ASK tho...lol )

YNWA

Offline Brissyred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6082 on: August 2, 2022, 08:01:27 am »
I realise it's not NASA and we're not going to the moon in these vehicles, but an external temperature gauge has surely got to be seen as "standard" nowadays within the design specs of any modern vehicle?
Doesn't it have one at all? On one of my cars it's not there by default, you have to press a button on the steering wheel to access the outside temp.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #6083 on: August 2, 2022, 08:16:03 am »
So...if the "driving and the functionality" of the vehicles I look at gives me a short list of say 4 options to go for....but ONE of these can't be arsed to fit an external temperature gauge in the cab, then for me, that's an easy rejection.....and now I'm only contemplating 3 vehicles.

Yes I get that but I still dont get why it is a deal breaker for you. I dont agree with such a feature being left out, but its certainly not a deal breaker for me.

Does it matter what the outside temperature is? If your car has an "auto" mode for the aircon, its going to do everything for you. It doesnt matter if its 10 degrees or 30 degrees. Its going to keep the occupant cell more than comfortable enough and thats all that matters.

Offline RAWK Meltdown #1

• "Assume they got our phones, assume they got our houses, assume they got us, right here, right now as we sit, everything. Assume it all..."
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6084 on: August 2, 2022, 12:36:34 pm »
Doesn't it have one at all? On one of my cars it's not there by default, you have to press a button on the steering wheel to access the outside temp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPXbR1i5xog

Short 3 minute vid showing "work-arounds" for the absence of a factory fitted external temperature gauge in the MG..

I mean really....why should you even have to worry about this?....and if an external temperature gauge is something that (like me) you want and insist upon, then why lose sales over something that's so cheap to install as standard?

Also, what other areas of the car are they shaving "pennies" off to try and keep their build-costs down?

YNWA

Offline RAWK Meltdown #1

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6085 on: August 2, 2022, 12:44:15 pm »
Yes I get that but I still dont get why it is a deal breaker for you. I dont agree with such a feature being left out, but its certainly not a deal breaker for me.

Does it matter what the outside temperature is? If your car has an "auto" mode for the aircon, its going to do everything for you. It doesnt matter if its 10 degrees or 30 degrees. Its going to keep the occupant cell more than comfortable enough and thats all that matters.

Because the people I have in transit often have to go "out" of the car and into the external environment....and suddenly becoming too cold (or too warm) can and often does.... trigger their anxiety levels believe it or not. So with respect...NO...the internal temperature of the car is really not... all that matters!!
YNWA

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6086 on: August 2, 2022, 02:35:48 pm »
Because the people I have in transit often have to go "out" of the car and into the external environment....and suddenly becoming too cold (or too warm) can and often does.... trigger their anxiety levels believe it or not. So with respect...NO...the internal temperature of the car is really not... all that matters!!

Amazing how what most of us take for granted and causes no issues, can be so important to someone else. I've never realised and I bet 99% of us haven't either, that changes in temp can affect some peoples anxiety. Having suffered anxiety and depression, I can understand why it is so important to you.

It is very strange that a modern car doesn't have a temp sensor for the outside, got so used to them being fitted as standard
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #6087 on: August 2, 2022, 02:37:00 pm »
Alright.. Although I am surprised that a modern car doesnt have a temperature guage. Seems bizzare.

Anywhoo.. Ordered a Smart ForFour for my wife. Public transport to her work place is unreliable at best and completely absent at worst. No other choice because WFH is unavailable.

Her requirements were..
1. Short nose --> Easy parking
2. 4 seater with ISOFIX on the 2 row
3. Cruise control
4. Seat heating
5. Automatic transmission

Test drove Twingo, i10 and this one. But we liked this one. Comes with a 1.0l 71HP 3 pot petrol motor with Euro 6 emission norms. Has 33k on the odo but motor is good enough for 300k minimum. This generatrion of Smart was the last one of Mercedes internal development before they were sold to a Chinese OEM.

Offline RAWK Meltdown #1

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6088 on: August 2, 2022, 06:23:29 pm »
Alright.. Although I am surprised that a modern car doesnt have a temperature guage. Seems bizzare.

Anywhoo.. Ordered a Smart ForFour for my wife. Public transport to her work place is unreliable at best and completely absent at worst. No other choice because WFH is unavailable.

Her requirements were..
1. Short nose --> Easy parking
2. 4 seater with ISOFIX on the 2 row
3. Cruise control
4. Seat heating
5. Automatic transmission

Test drove Twingo, i10 and this one. But we liked this one. Comes with a 1.0l 71HP 3 pot petrol motor with Euro 6 emission norms. Has 33k on the odo but motor is good enough for 300k minimum. This generation of Smart was the last one of Mercedes internal development before they were sold to a Chinese OEM.

The SmartForFour looks like a tidy little motor.

:)
YNWA

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6089 on: August 2, 2022, 06:57:37 pm »

Proper car, it's nice to see someone buy an economic motor.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6090 on: August 2, 2022, 08:08:12 pm »
Urgh. How much to fix? This is why I switched to leasing. Fixed monthly amount and the car will always be under warranty.
Over £700, bloody ridiculous. Thought BMW's were meant to be quality cars.

My workplace just introduced a salary sacrifice scheme which I have to admit sounds great. Can get a brand new electric car for £320 p/m with insurance, tax, MOT/servicing all included. It's a shame I'm currently looking for a way out of this company otherwise I'd be all over it.

Offline Brissyred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6091 on: August 2, 2022, 11:39:10 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPXbR1i5xog

Short 3 minute vid showing "work-arounds" for the absence of a factory fitted external temperature gauge in the MG..

I mean really....why should you even have to worry about this?....and if an external temperature gauge is something that (like me) you want and insist upon, then why lose sales over something that's so cheap to install as standard?

Also, what other areas of the car are they shaving "pennies" off to try and keep their build-costs down?

That's weird, talk about spoiling the ship for a ha'porth of tar.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #6092 on: August 3, 2022, 07:16:49 am »
The SmartForFour looks like a tidy little motor.

:)
Proper car, it's nice to see someone buy an economic motor.

Thanks mate. :)

Its solid, nimble, agile, peppy, frugal and perfect for anywhere in the spectrum of city usage to medium distance rides. 2nd seat row is not really for adults on the longer drives but its perfect for her. We drove some 30 kms yesterday and she already has a gauge of the dimensions of the car thanks in part to the taller seating profile and height adjustable seats.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #6093 on: August 23, 2022, 01:46:18 pm »
My Mercedes E220 goes back in exactly one week.

I'm normally excited to change cars, but I'm gutted about this one.

It's the first Mercedes I've had, and I adore it. Over the years, we've had a couple of BMW's, an Audi, two Jags, and many more. This has been the single best car by a country mile. Exactly the right mix of luxury and performance. 9-speed auto gearbox, have averaged almost 50mpg (and not driven it frugally), a 'Sport+' mode that makes it feel decently rapid. Have driven it to France, Highlands of Scotland, London, Devon and multiple times to the Lakes & Wales.

I'd have had another one in a heartbeat, but the lease deal I got it on was an absolute song back in 2018, and to get the equivalent model now would be almost £300 a month more (nearly double) that what I've been paying. Couldn't afford it.

I shall really miss her.  :'(

Next chapter is an EV, although given the delivery date (ordered in March) keeps getting moved back, feck knows when I'll get it
« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 01:47:59 pm by Nobby Reserve »
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #6094 on: August 23, 2022, 02:47:56 pm »
Considering the electric BMW i4 M Sport through work - anyone have any experience of it?
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #6095 on: August 25, 2022, 11:52:15 am »
I'm part of a group on facebook for the BMW 5 Series, a lot of the the lads there have exchanged their 530e's for i4's, and are largely happy, I think the "40" battery is meant to be as good as a tesla? I'm unsure.

I've got a VW Scirocco, and its probably only worth about £4k, and cars arent really dropping in price, want to buy a 530e for around £16k, cos my kids are getting older, and the 5 series comes with a lot of features out of the box, when compared to the 3 series.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6096 on: September 21, 2022, 12:10:34 pm »
I was at the dealership yesterday getting a service, and there was a Polestar P1 on the forecourt.

I think the massive tech screen on the dash looks a bit tacky, but the outside is stunning. A proper beauty.

I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
« Reply #6097 on: September 25, 2022, 04:35:27 pm »
Getting this sometime next week  :wave

Offline Rymildet

• Boys Pen
« Reply #6098 on: October 2, 2022, 09:26:29 pm »
Jeep Renegade, I really like it!

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #6099 on: October 3, 2022, 08:39:22 am »

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6100 on: October 3, 2022, 09:41:33 am »
I'm still waiting for my car.

Back in March it had an expected delivery timeframe of September, but it's not even been built yet, and then has to come from South Korea (8-10 weeks).

I'm using a mix of my wife's X1 and daughter's 10 y/o Hyundai i10 (she's at uni)

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #6101 on: October 14, 2022, 11:31:24 am »
Ended up getting a 17 plate Mondeo Vignale from the dealer round the corner from the new house. Lovely spec in it, bit high mileage but my usage will average that down.

Dealership had an 03 M3 cabriolet on display. That's only going up in value.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #6102 on: November 23, 2022, 05:49:19 pm »
Last week I took my Mini in for the MOT. I work in IT support for the chain of dealerships so I was expecting to spend the morning dealing with calls in the area or using their wifi to remotely deal with tickets. After an hour, the boss called and said I needed to get to head office and he'd spoken with the BMW used car manager to sort me out a demo model to get there (it's only 3 miles up the road).

The guy gave me the keys to...

An i4 M50.

£75k as specced, around 550HP, fully electric. I've never driven anything remotely like it! You just had to dab at the accelerator and the thing jumped forward, instantly went from about 35mph to 50.

As soon as I got to the office the boss demanded the keys so he could take it out for a spin!
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6103 on: November 23, 2022, 06:18:27 pm »
Last week I took my Mini in for the MOT. I work in IT support for the chain of dealerships so I was expecting to spend the morning dealing with calls in the area or using their wifi to remotely deal with tickets. After an hour, the boss called and said I needed to get to head office and he'd spoken with the BMW used car manager to sort me out a demo model to get there (it's only 3 miles up the road).

The guy gave me the keys to...

An i4 M50.

£75k as specced, around 550HP, fully electric. I've never driven anything remotely like it! You just had to dab at the accelerator and the thing jumped forward, instantly went from about 35mph to 50.

As soon as I got to the office the boss demanded the keys so he could take it out for a spin!

Fucking scary to think that average, very bad drivers, will all be driving around in cars that out accelerate Lamborghinis. I predict a massive rise in road deaths unless they restrict the things.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6104 on: November 25, 2022, 02:22:48 pm »
Fucking scary to think that average, very bad drivers, will all be driving around in cars that out accelerate Lamborghinis. I predict a massive rise in road deaths unless they restrict the things.

You say that like people who drive Lamborghinis are good drivers...

When I was choosing my [still un-fucking-delivered] EV, I test-drove a few. When I was out in the Tesla 3 I had the kids with me. I slowed right down on a straight bit of road with nobody around and then floored it. Wahaaaaaaay! Was lovely. Pinned you right back in your seats. And that was only a 0-60 in 4.8 secs quick.

EV's are really fun to drive.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6105 on: November 25, 2022, 02:42:38 pm »

You say that like people who drive Lamborghinis are good drivers...

When I was choosing my [still un-fucking-delivered] EV, I test-drove a few. When I was out in the Tesla 3 I had the kids with me. I slowed right down on a straight bit of road with nobody around and then floored it. Wahaaaaaaay! Was lovely. Pinned you right back in your seats. And that was only a 0-60 in 4.8 secs quick.

EV's are really fun to drive.

No, I say that like people who drive Lamborghinis tend to stuff them into trees and lamposts ;D

I ride a Superbike, so I know what 0-60 in under 3 seconds is like and how at times it still takes my breath away. I also know that people who have never felt that kind of acceleration tend to shit themselves. Plenty will plant their right foot and then piss their kecks and smash into something.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6106 on: November 25, 2022, 02:51:22 pm »
My Cupra does 0-60 in about the same as the Tesla, probably fractionally less. It’s the first car that I’ve had that can do anything like that and sat in the drivers seat it feels insanely quick and I have wondered what a poor driver with that amount of power at the foot could be capable of accident wise.

Offline RAWK Meltdown #1

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6107 on: November 26, 2022, 12:27:55 pm »
My Cupra does 0-60 in about the same as the Tesla, probably fractionally less. It’s the first car that I’ve had that can do anything like that and sat in the driver's seat it feels insanely quick and I have wondered what a poor driver with that amount of power at the foot could be capable of accident wise.

Bad decisions in powerful cars are often punishable by death. It's just one of nature's immutable laws..... it's sad to say.
YNWA

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6108 on: November 26, 2022, 12:36:27 pm »
My Cupra does 0-60 in about the same as the Tesla, probably fractionally less. It’s the first car that I’ve had that can do anything like that and sat in the drivers seat it feels insanely quick and I have wondered what a poor driver with that amount of power at the foot could be capable of accident wise.

I can image there are going to be a lot of massive accidents in the future until they roll back on the power of these cars. Kids in Corsas are bad enough as it is.

Offline M7 Heckler

• Anny Roader
« Reply #6109 on: November 30, 2022, 01:03:15 pm »
some lovely shiny new cars on this thread. just some advice for anyone who has a relatively new car - car thefts are soaring.

i had mine taken last week from outside my office. i had been parked for 10 minutes, my app told me the car was unlocked, when i looked out the window it was gone. they stripped the tracker out on the other side of town and later smashed the windows when i locked it remotely from my phone. I am grateful to the police that they were able to find it later that night despite it carrying cloned plates.

I've had a ghost immobiliser fitted on my wife's car now. mine is in for repairs now, and as soon as its back I'm getting one fitted. Obviously i had heard of it happening but thought if i've got a tracker i'd be ok. but you really should invest in a steering lock and/or ghost immobiliser to protect yourself. its not worth the stress.

Stating the obvious but dont leave anything valuable (or dear to you) in the car, you might not see it again. luckilly i got my daughters little things back but they took some of my valuables which i really shouldnt have left in there.

Be careful!

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6110 on: November 30, 2022, 01:13:58 pm »
some lovely shiny new cars on this thread. just some advice for anyone who has a relatively new car - car thefts are soaring.

i had mine taken last week from outside my office. i had been parked for 10 minutes, my app told me the car was unlocked, when i looked out the window it was gone. they stripped the tracker out on the other side of town and later smashed the windows when i locked it remotely from my phone. I am grateful to the police that they were able to find it later that night despite it carrying cloned plates.

I've had a ghost immobiliser fitted on my wife's car now. mine is in for repairs now, and as soon as its back I'm getting one fitted. Obviously i had heard of it happening but thought if i've got a tracker i'd be ok. but you really should invest in a steering lock and/or ghost immobiliser to protect yourself. its not worth the stress.

Stating the obvious but dont leave anything valuable (or dear to you) in the car, you might not see it again. luckilly i got my daughters little things back but they took some of my valuables which i really shouldnt have left in there.

Be careful!

They're utter scum.

Need manufacturers to develop a spike that fires upwards out of the seat to skewer the shitbag that's stolen it. An app to control it, with a small cam to record it and share.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #6111 on: November 30, 2022, 01:25:03 pm »

Be careful!

Sorry to hear that mate. Mine was stolen from the front drive. It was the one thing I spent money on as I don`t spend on anything else - a BMW 330d msport. They broke into my home when my wife and daughter were asleep and took the keys. They also removed the tracker and the car was found burnt out on a trading estate near the city. Utter scum who do this. What I would give to get my hands on them

I always use a steering lock now, and make sure the keys are safely stored at night - not that I should have to do those things. I was also told that to access my home it took them seconds on the UPVC back door because I didn`t have anti snap locks. I didn`t even know that was a thing so for anyone out there without antisnap locks I would suggest getting them changed. It isn`t expensive to do.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline M7 Heckler

• Anny Roader
« Reply #6112 on: November 30, 2022, 01:44:04 pm »
yep get the keys in a faraday pouch but would suggest you put them in an obvious place- if someone wants your car enough to break in while your family are asleep, its probably best to let them find the keys and take it while you're asleep. much better than being woken up by them and the trauma that comes with that. that being said, the pouch wouldnt make it so easy that they can take the car with their gadgetry whilst stood on your drive. I've had someone break in ours as well but were scared off by the alarm (we didnt have anti snap locks either!) - got the lock changed and also picked up some of these to go on the back windows and door. if they do snap the lock they'll have to smash the double glazing as well to get these off:

https://www.toolstation.com/sash-guard/p44641

The police caught the gang that broke into my house last year, they had recorded videos of themselves going into peoples houses and driving the stolen cars etc. idiots

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6113 on: November 30, 2022, 03:11:30 pm »

Be careful!

Problem is they know where the trackers are fitted and by robbing the cars in the middle of the night, it gives them enough time to get the tracker out. If they don't know where the tracker is, they just park the car up and come back a couple of days later and if the car is still there, its not tracked, so off it goes.

Its the fucking courts fault, give the c*nts the fucking maximum sentence, but no, they let them off with all kinds of fucking shite. "I got off with community service" is a thing I heard loads of times off scallies growing up.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6114 on: November 30, 2022, 03:53:01 pm »
I definitely don't hide the keys to mine. The way I look at it there's two types of car thief, the ones who try and clone the key from the driveway, and those that will break into the house and look for the keys.

The ones who clone keys I'm less worried about. Mine has the newer VAG Kessy system and I believe the keys stop transmitting when they aren't moving so if they're in a coat pocket or on the table then they stop transmitting a signal.

The ones that will go as far as entering your home do worry me a bit, and I don't leave the keys in plain sight but don't hide them either. If the scumbags are in the house then the safety of the family comes before the car. Done what I can though - anti snap locks, alarm, cameras as a deterrent etc.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6115 on: November 30, 2022, 05:27:51 pm »
Way back in 2005, one August Saturday night I was watching MOTD. We had an integral garage with a door leading into the utility; the door used to only be locked last thing at night or when we went out, really. I used to keep my smoke in a tub in there and so, when I went in I saw the up & over garage door slightly ajar. It was breezy, so figured I'd not closed and locked it properly so pulled it closed and locked it from the inside. Had a smoke at the back door. Went back to MOTD. About an hour later, had another 'nightcap' smoke, locked everywhere up, and went to bed.

Next morning was my sleep in (our eldest - only at the time - kid wasn't yet 2, so we each had a lie-in on the weekend with the other getting up early with daughter) and ambled down about half-10. Plonked myself in the chair in the living room, casually glanced out of the window... and spotted my car wasn't on the front (an Audi A4 I'd had since the March). In a bit of a panic, I rushed into the kitched where my missus was and told her. We couldn't find the keys, which were usually next to the toaster. She then told me that, when she'd come down that morning, all the drawers and cupboards wre open in the kitchen and shed put it down to me being drunk or something. I searched the house - the sideboard in the dining room had its doors and some drawers open. A few bottles of drink were missing. The patio door - which we didn't use that often - was unlocked. Outside, just round the corner, was an empty Jack Daniels bottle that had been in my sideboard.

Called the police to report it. Whilst I was on, they informed me that my car had been found. They'd send someone round.

Turns out that a bloke on a rough estate a couple of miles away had been woken at about 3am by noise outside. When he looked outside, he saw a lad and a girl unloading everything from a car unto a golf trolley with clubs (my fucking golf trolley and clubs, which had been in my boot) and walking off, leaving the car doors open. He'd got it on CCTV and called plod.

MEanwhile, I'm piecing together events. They must have come in through the garage and into the house whilst I was watching telly. They must have gone into the dining room, as it's the one room I didn't go in that night (there's only the living room, kitchen/utility, hall, downstairs bog and dining room) and either waited in there, or outside the door.

What's worse is that our next door but one got done the same night. They'd had friends round and, pissed up, forgot to lock the front door. The wife had passed out on the sofa in the living room. They'd been due to have a stall at a car-boot sale the following morning and had stacked stuff like an old video console in the hall - anything of any value was taken.

But they took my frigging car.

It had to go to a special compound for forensics. The police also tried to take prints from my house. And they viewed the CCTV.

These scumbag thieves are mostly known to the police but, oddly and annoyingly (or suspeciously...) no prints were possible, and the CCTV was ruled not to be of sufficient quality.

He was probably an addict and a grass - and they tend to get let off these 'minor' offences (had first-hand experience of that, too  >:()

Online paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #6116 on: December 1, 2022, 09:02:46 am »
bloody hell this thread has turned

scary stuff

Does anyone else admire Duncan Ferguson for the time he caught and absolutely battered two burglars?
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6117 on: December 1, 2022, 09:51:58 am »
bloody hell this thread has turned

scary stuff

Does anyone else admire Duncan Ferguson for the time he caught and absolutely battered two burglars?

Yes.

I got told a story about 20 years ago, one of the members at our gun club had caught a burglar and him and his mate had given the fella a kicking, then called the Police. Copper comes, asks what had happened to the fella, tells the copper and he's like "no, no, no, he was attacking you and its was self defence wasn't it"....

Another one which I think I've posted before on here. Fella in Kirkby caught some scrote trying to rob his car, this was late 70's/early 80'. Anyway, gives this lad a hiding, throws him in the boot, drives out into the countryside, drags him out, rips his shoes off and batters the soles of his feet with a bar or stick and then dumps the fucker and drives off.

I used to have a mate, he was Scouse/Portuguese and he was telling us that in Portugal, if you caught a burglar you gave them a kicking then when the coppers came, they would give them a kicking too.

In America, you just shoot them.

Online paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #6118 on: December 1, 2022, 10:04:47 am »
yep no sympathy for anyone who gets a hiding or is even killed in that manner

scum of the earth

yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #6119 on: December 1, 2022, 11:01:59 am »
Think I'm going to get me a steering wheel lock! I never bothered before as I thought it would too much of a faff every day but my own car is now just an occasional driver and I'd be heartbroken to lose it.

It's a 2013 Mini, I don't have it linked to any apps etc but I do have a button to open it and the fob just has a little slot to sit in rather than a key. I don't think it's the most obvious thief-attracting vehicle in the world (I'd be interested to know what the stolen ones were upthread) but you never know what they're looking for I guess.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?