Author Topic: What was the last book you read?  (Read 586047 times)

Pheeny

Re: What was the last book you read?
« Reply #200 on: November 25, 2004, 11:24:47 am »
Just finished 'The Cameo Murders' - docu-book about the infamous shooting outside a Wavertree cinema in the 40s.

Also in the past month, have read The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Nighttime and Edward Christian's account of his brother's famous Mutiny on The Bounty.

Pheeny - I'll gladly send you some stuff over if you IM me your address. My library regularly outgrows my apartment but I'm always loathe to get rid of books, so if I know they're safe at someone else's place, however temporary, that would be grand. Just let me know your 'preferences'... ;)
off to work now but I will get back to you :wave

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #201 on: November 25, 2004, 11:26:48 am »
Yeah.  Me too Pheeny.
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline Smiffy

• Legacy Fan
  • Yesh Yesh Yesh
« Reply #202 on: November 25, 2004, 11:32:53 am »
I keep meaning to read the da vinci code, i have had it on my pc for ages, till i said fuck it and downloaded the audio book in mp3 :)

now i can listen to it on the bus :D
May I present to you, the very sexual, the very toite, Austin Power's fassia.

Offline Emmy

• Anyone got a crate for sale?
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #203 on: November 25, 2004, 11:34:57 am »
Big Bad Wolf - James Patterson.

Finished it last night.
It would be rude not to...

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #204 on: November 25, 2004, 11:42:55 am »
Just finished "I, Claudius" by Robert Graves and "King of the World" by David Remnick. Have started on "Claudius the God" by Robert Graves.

"King of the World" is a great read if you like boxing books. It's about Muhammed Ali in his early years as Cassius Clay, from his early fights to his refusal of the draft. Looks at the other fighters of that time such as Sonny Liston and Floyd Patterson.

I used to love reading Sven Hassell books when I was a callow youth, but after reading "The Forgotten Soldier" by Guy Sajer they all seemed a bit stupid. Good entertainment though I suppose, a bit like Clive Cussler - absolute rubbish but still worth a read.
Legacy fan

Offline Redders

• Wish mine was wood
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #205 on: November 25, 2004, 01:06:56 pm »
If anyone has got some good books that they don't want send them over to me as English books here are expensive :P

Join an English Book Club!     :wave

Offline Ian H

• Kopite
« Reply #206 on: November 25, 2004, 01:10:23 pm »
I was reading Vernon God Little - by some twat- its bollox, no really i hated it!
now reading - Ilium by Dan Simmons, cracking Pseudo greek mythology sci fi nonsense!
more lurking than posting

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: November 25, 2004, 01:38:09 pm »
Danny Boys Dad - Have you read "I Only Talk Winning" by Angelo Dundee?  Its donkeys years since I read this but I do remember it was an excellent book. 

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline Reeves

• Back from the dead. Bit simples.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "THE DISTANCE BETWEEN INSANITY AND GENIUS.........
    • RAWK
« Reply #208 on: November 25, 2004, 01:40:14 pm »
Other than legal books, phil neal's autobiography- about 10 years ago. Don't like books.
..........IS MEASURED ONLY BY SUCCESS"

RAWK - HJC Champions 2003
Former RAWK Scribe 2002 - 2004

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #209 on: November 25, 2004, 01:41:32 pm »
Addicted by Ronnie O' Sullivan.

Offline singaporered

• Kopite
  • Anyone that plays for me should be a bad loser
« Reply #210 on: November 25, 2004, 01:56:59 pm »
michael owens autobiography
i don't read much
What man believes, man can achieve

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #211 on: November 25, 2004, 01:58:12 pm »
Have a few on the go, all re-reads  :-[

'The Innocent'- Ian McEwan

'Striptease'- Carl Hiaasen

The Gospel of St Mark- with an introduction by Nick Cave

Offline Mirra

• The Cock of RAWK. desperately seeking two fat ladies. His ass found glass in the grass.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No one on the corner got a swagger like me
« Reply #212 on: November 25, 2004, 02:03:34 pm »
The Krays- The final Countdown
Mirra, 7777 wake up the thread needs you!

Offline Smiffy

• Legacy Fan
  • Yesh Yesh Yesh
« Reply #213 on: November 25, 2004, 02:07:02 pm »
I have bill shankleys, "its much more important than that" autobiog

is it the best autobiog or are there others, i hear this one deals a lot with games and facts and such, i want one that more about shanks the man
May I present to you, the very sexual, the very toite, Austin Power's fassia.

Offline Paul Ando

• Legacy Fan
  • Bring Back Anfield Arnie.
« Reply #214 on: November 25, 2004, 02:08:38 pm »
I read Ronnie O'Sulivans autobiography, but it might have been Boys from The Mersey... cant remember.
***** BBA! BBA! BBA! BBA! BBA!*****

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #215 on: November 25, 2004, 02:11:21 pm »
I read Ronnie O'Sulivans autobiography, but it might have been Boys from The Mersey... cant remember.

well, ronnies is about snooker, boys from the mersey is about robbing round england and europe, and bragging abiut being harder than everyone else.

does that help your memory?

:) ;)
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #216 on: November 25, 2004, 02:19:21 pm »
boys from the mersey is about robbing round england and europe, and bragging abiut being harder than everyone else.

Not a fan then Nidge?

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #217 on: November 25, 2004, 02:19:21 pm »
Danny Boys Dad - Have you read "I Only Talk Winning" by Angelo Dundee?  Its donkeys years since I read this but I do remember it was an excellent book. 

Haven't read that one but will look out for it.
"The Fight" by Norman Mailer is a good one about the Rumble in the Jungle, and I've read George Foreman's autobiography as well. Interesting how he went completely off the rails after losing to Ali. I've just taken Frazier's autobiography out of the library and I've been flicking through it.
"War, Baby" is a good book, about the Benn/McClennan fight.
Never been a boxer myself (too soft) but when I was little I always used to watch the big fights on TV with my dad and I've always been interested in it.
Legacy fan

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #218 on: November 25, 2004, 02:23:49 pm »
Not a fan then Nidge?

It was OK, but i DID think the tone was very bragging... which would have been OK if not preceded most times by, "I'm not bragging, but we really were the hardest"

I'm not the type who thinks picking fights with infinately smaller numbers of oppo fans is hard...

Much prefered Alan Edges and Evos books.
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: November 25, 2004, 02:24:33 pm »
Two others you may be interested in (depending what era you like) are Champion Joe Louis and Papa Jack (about Jack Johnson).  Again, donkeys years ago but excellent reads if that is your taste.

STEVEMCQUEEN

« Reply #220 on: November 25, 2004, 09:18:32 pm »
Boys From the Mersey is not about bragging, being cocky is more realistic. It says early on that the author has tried to write it like he felt when he was 20 or so.

Most Scousers around this time were cocky and chipped-up - we had reason - being hated and villified by the press and Thatchers rotten government alike, it was a two fingered salute attitude, seeing as we always had the best team and the wisest fans and we werent 'darn sarf' - sounds cliched today - but I'll tell you, theres deffo no battering little mobs just cos we had a bigger mob in those pages - sure you read the right book Nigey boy?

Its about making the most out of an unemployable situation, with a red machine in full effect and one unemployed lad stopping at nothing to get him to where they were playing.

The lad hardly missed a game home and away for years - and that takes some doing in jobless Liverpool.

The other authors were more 'home game fellas' and if you werent about at the away games then, then you wouldnt know about the weekly threat of violence wherever you went to catch your team.

Its a fucking great book - HA!

Another goodun is Pileggis Wiseguy and Nick Tosches Night Train was my last read - it was brilliant. Dylans book, Chronicles is also a fine read. If you wanna read lies and bullshit, read any Kray books. Read Bernard OMahoney, 'dya wanna be in my gang' to put you straight about Kray books.

Anything by Hunter S Thompson is always a laugh and near the knuckle.

Offline Mirra

• The Cock of RAWK. desperately seeking two fat ladies. His ass found glass in the grass.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: November 25, 2004, 09:28:11 pm »
This Kray book ive been reading came out after all 3 of them died like, bloke called Fry wrote it. It was interesting if that is what really happened. I never swallowed the shite they used to talk about what nice people they were. Was just a bit interested in how they were so famous etc.

Got tons of boxing books like, personal favourite to read was the Dark Destroyer by Nigel Benn. Read it in a day it was that good. Fire and the Fury is about Mike Tyson, Jose Torres wrote it and thats a good one as well, though its old and might be hard to get hold of.

Offline Tosh

• Legacy Fan
  • El Argentino
« Reply #222 on: November 25, 2004, 09:32:27 pm »
Have a few on the go, all re-reads  :-[

'Striptease'- Carl Hiaasen

Hiaasen is brilliant, a real shame the movie was so awful.

Currently reading Franz Kafka's Amerika, then have La Gran Aldea lined up.

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #223 on: November 26, 2004, 08:41:17 am »
Hiaasen is brilliant, a real shame the movie was so awful.

Currently reading Franz Kafka's Amerika, then have La Gran Aldea lined up.

Refused to even watch the film..................
Read all of his except Sick Puppy, about to start his critique of Disney Corp.
Kafka- superb, though not read that one. The opening sentence of Metamorphosis is, for me, the single greatest opening gambit in Western literature

Offline poorboy

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #224 on: November 26, 2004, 10:04:28 am »
Michael Watson - My Biggest Fight  -   quite touching and what a determined man who wanted to battle back and not be defeated

Hallelujah!- Shaun Ryder - a story of a fucked up smackhead manc, quite funny

h

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: November 26, 2004, 11:06:57 am »
Michael Watson - My Biggest Fight  -   quite touching and what a determined man who wanted to battle back and not be defeated

Ive got that one upstairs, havent read it yet but im looking forward to. Watson really should of died, nearly every doctor he seen said he would never walk again or be normal again and they dont know how he survived it. But he did and the things hes achieved are amazing. Great person, cant wait to read that  :wave

Offline Tosh

• Legacy Fan
  • El Argentino
« Reply #226 on: November 26, 2004, 12:50:19 pm »
Refused to even watch the film..................
Read all of his except Sick Puppy, about to start his critique of Disney Corp.
Kafka- superb, though not read that one. The opening sentence of Metamorphosis is, for me, the single greatest opening gambit in Western literature

Good move on the film. Awful. Elmore Leonard is another good writer, slightly more serious.

Yeah, just started with Kafka, this is the first I've read but I've enjoyed it and will have to read more. Reading in Spanish which is slightly slower than in English though!  :)

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #227 on: November 26, 2004, 12:52:09 pm »
You're in Argentina aren't you? Well impressed with the Kafka in spanish- hope he's less depressing in another language  ;D

Offline Tosh

• Legacy Fan
  • El Argentino
« Reply #228 on: November 26, 2004, 12:56:18 pm »
Yep, me engańó. It's quite strange actually as the language used in the book is verging on archaic.. when I discuss things from the book with my girlfriend she laughs at the words I use. Not sure if that is a reflection of how Kafka wrote, but then again all of his books were translated from German into English in the first place weren't they?

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #229 on: November 26, 2004, 12:57:05 pm »
The Beatles ( Hunter Davies ) Muhammad Ali ( unseen archives ) and lots of kids 'bed time' stories !
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #230 on: November 26, 2004, 12:58:24 pm »
Yep, me engańó. It's quite strange actually as the language used in the book is verging on archaic.. when I discuss things from the book with my girlfriend she laughs at the words I use. Not sure if that is a reflection of how Kafka wrote, but then again all of his books were translated from German into English in the first place weren't they?

Yes they were- good point that about the archaic, formal tone of the writing  :wave

Offline Tosh

• Legacy Fan
  • El Argentino
« Reply #231 on: November 26, 2004, 01:20:28 pm »
Yes they were- good point that about the archaic, formal tone of the writing  :wave

Well my girlfriend has got his complete works, so I'll have to borrow metamorphosis and give it a read!

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #232 on: November 26, 2004, 02:27:27 pm »
Well my girlfriend has got his complete works, so I'll have to borrow metamorphosis and give it a read!

It's superb mate- the opening sentence will blow you away. Guarantee you'll have to read on!

Offline Paul Ando

• Legacy Fan
  • Bring Back Anfield Arnie.
« Reply #233 on: November 26, 2004, 02:43:34 pm »
well, ronnies is about snooker, boys from the mersey is about robbing round england and europe, and bragging abiut being harder than everyone else.

does that help your memory?

:) ;)

Yeah it was Ronnies...I think. :D I thought BFTM was quality. Although its harder for me as not actally seeing it for myself i habve to trust such books.

Thinking about it I read Ricky Tomlinsons book not long ago- it might have been that.... ;D
***** BBA! BBA! BBA! BBA! BBA!*****

Offline Tosh

• Legacy Fan
  • El Argentino
« Reply #234 on: November 26, 2004, 02:48:19 pm »
It's superb mate- the opening sentence will blow you away. Guarantee you'll have to read on!

Cheers! Will tell you how I get on.

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #235 on: November 26, 2004, 02:49:11 pm »
You'll love it  :wave

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: November 26, 2004, 04:36:52 pm »
Have you read "Redcoat" by Richard Holmes Erik?  I was thinking of getting that for Christmas.  :wave
Got that one, brilliant book. You read it before Maggie?
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: November 29, 2004, 02:33:27 pm »
Got that one, brilliant book. You read it before Maggie?

Sorry for the delay in replying BIGdava - been away for a few days.  No, I've not read it but I was going to get it for Christmas.  I'm delighted to find someone who's read it and enjoyed it.  It might sound daft, but what's it like?  Is it purely a textbook or is it lighter than that?  Thing is, as I said above,  I'm heavily into WW1, and excellent as "Tommy" is I wouldn't recomend it to anyone who wasn't - purely as just a good read.  I am interested in Wellington's campaigns generally, but not hugely interested (if you know what I mean).  I'd be very grateful for your opinion mate.  :wave 

Roddysul

« Reply #238 on: November 29, 2004, 02:38:32 pm »
Currently reading  "The men who stare at goats"  and piss myself at it regularly

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #239 on: November 29, 2004, 02:42:01 pm »
Currently reading  "The men who stare at goats"  and piss myself at it regularly

I loved 'Them'- must get that one