Author Topic: Harry Maguire considering his options thread  (Read 3261928 times)

Offline mainone

• Anny Roader
  • this is the end.....
Re: Man United thread. Revolution Number... 6?
« Reply #39080 on: August 11, 2022, 06:53:48 am »
especially if you're on the jury

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #39081 on: August 11, 2022, 06:55:24 am »
They were jizzing after they got Ten Hags, talking about winning the league and stuff. What happened?
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39082 on: August 11, 2022, 07:06:20 am »
I think the penny might be dropping. They're starting to understand that they are the second team in Manchester. They are Everton around about the year 1971.

It's a hard road back from there.

Well both clubs had the same number of titles back in 71 I think, so that fits. :D

The glorious thing is that it didn't have to be this way. They could have still been there, slugging it out with City,matching them in the transfer market. But they've been mismanaged into the ground, and even if it squeezes the dividend those in charge don't have the house to fix it.

I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39083 on: August 11, 2022, 07:07:24 am »
They were jizzing after they got Ten Hags, talking about winning the league and stuff. What happened?

The season started.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #39084 on: August 11, 2022, 07:37:38 am »
I think the penny might be dropping. They're starting to understand that they are the second team in Manchester. They are Everton around about the year 1971.

It's a hard road back from there.

I don't think that penny is dropping. If City are set to dominate over the next 10-20 years and Bayern Munich the PL, United fans are merely cheering them on because at present they're stopping Liverpool. United may consider themselves the biggest club in the country but they did in the 70s and 80s when we dominated and they were nowhere. It really affects their halo if long term they're not the top team in their own city.

Glazers have ultimately always been let off because United fans are easily bought off with big signings. They do seem at the point where they can't afford to just throw 250+ mill on players right now, albeit mainly because they're not in the CL this season which will be rigged for them from 2024. They can't raise sales like other clubs either because of how poor their squad has been assembled. At some point Glazers will cut their losses/cash in and then a Gulf State (or a Boehly) will take it on and chuck 350+ million on players for them and they'd expect eventually they'll get it right.  Right now though they're a shambles and propped up by the league being rigged. They finished 6th last season despite being horrific all season. What happened when they were horrific all season in the mid 70s? They got relegated. Now they're in a position where they can at least get back in the CL by winning a much weakened Europa League (just look at last season's semi finalists). They may as well write the league off this season, finish 6th anyway, and then go all out for that.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 08:03:53 am by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online Romford_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39085 on: August 11, 2022, 09:26:13 am »

Because they were yet to actually see what that meant.

It's like how when there's something wrong with our team and a certain player is injured, they become a superhuman who would fix everything if fit. Then they come back and it's positive but nowhere near the levels that people were purporting.

Kinda like how getting rid of Johnson was seen as a great thing. Then we listened to Sunak and Truss and went 'Oh'.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39086 on: August 11, 2022, 10:05:53 am »
Because they were yet to actually see what that meant.

It's like how when there's something wrong with our team and a certain player is injured, they become a superhuman who would fix everything if fit. Then they come back and it's positive but nowhere near the levels that people were purporting.

Kinda like how getting rid of Johnson was seen as a great thing. Then we listened to Sunak and Truss and went 'Oh'.

They were expecting wholesale changes as well which haven't happened and their usual bottomless pit of cash spent. The squad needed gutting.

Online Romford_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39087 on: August 11, 2022, 10:39:30 am »
They were expecting wholesale changes as well which haven't happened and their usual bottomless pit of cash spent. The squad needed gutting.

That is where the fanbase harms the club.
They need to be of the mindset that this might take 5 years. They can carry on as they are and stay exactly where they are for 5 years, or they can sacrifice short term success for success on a solid foundation in 5 years time.

That might mean Arnautovic (or someone of a similar playing profile) right now because while he is not the answer to make you a top team, he might be the right player (along with a few others) to help stabilise the team so that they can build form that position of stability, brick by brick. Just how Klopp did.

Wont happen though because they're yernited and it's not good enough for a club the size of yernited.

Happy days.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #39088 on: August 11, 2022, 10:44:48 am »
The fanbase harms the club because they have no real desire to have 'good' owners. They dont give a shit if the club is haemorrhaging money, and if they're sold they'd only want it to be to a sports washer so they could 'do a City'. They're protesting now not because they particularly want the owners out, they're protesting because they haven't signed big name players this summer. They didnt say a peep last summer when they were spending megabucks on Ronaldo, Varane and Sancho and as soon as they flopped....best protest again. They're a laughing stock, none of them have any idea of what they actually 'want'.

Well they do....they want it to be the late 90s again.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #39089 on: August 11, 2022, 10:51:56 am »
Just as Klopp needed Lovren, Sakho, Clyne, Mignolet, Klavan, Moreno, Can, Coutinho, Solanke and Ings to get him through 2017/18 (his second season really)
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39090 on: August 11, 2022, 11:01:13 am »
They need to be of the mindset that this might take 5 years. They can carry on as they are and stay exactly where they are for 5 years, or they can sacrifice short term success for success on a solid foundation in 5 years time.

That might mean Arnautovic (or someone of a similar playing profile) right now because while he is not the answer to make you a top team, he might be the right player (along with a few others) to help stabilise the team so that they can build form that position of stability, brick by brick. Just how Klopp did.

Wont happen though because they're yernited and it's not good enough for a club the size of yernited.

Happy days.

The last sentence is spot on and sums up their fans and ex players in the media like Scholes and Ferdinand. The self entitlement is off the scale. I mean, but for a 20 year period under a one off manager, this is the norm for Man United now, not the exception. The idea they deserve to challenge "because they're United" is arrogance in the extreme.

Online thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39091 on: August 11, 2022, 11:11:11 am »
Just as Klopp needed Lovren, Sakho, Clyne, Mignolet, Klavan, Moreno, Can, Coutinho, Solanke and Ings to get him through 2017/18 (his second season really)
It was the season before that when Klopp and the players got loads of bantz from rival clubs for celebrating the last minute Origi equaliser against West Brom.  That's where we were as a club right then and we've since gone on to get so many points (and trophies!) due to those last gasp goals.  With hindsight Klopp understood that journey from where Rodgers left us to the pinnacle of European football better than anybody else in world football.

I'm not sure ten Hag has the personality to do what Klopp did that day.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #39092 on: August 11, 2022, 11:51:43 am »

Happy days.
As you've pretty much said, they are too arrogant, too entitled and far too pompous to accept that they need to first stop the free-fall, then just establish a solid base before rebuilding gradually and steadily. They are now back to their pre-Ferguson days but still believe they are special. Well, they aren't. They are just another football club that had a cycle of success then became too big for it's boots, too arrogant and too entitled.

Their outrageous arrogance, entitlement and self-aggrandising might have been fine when they were actually good, but all that substance has evaporated now. All that's left is the pomposity, and it makes them look incredibly stupid.

They now seem to think they are above a period of consolidation and then a rebuild. They just want it all, and they want it yesterday, and without the necessary skill and hard work. They always were the most entitled and arrogant bunch of arseholes in football, and I held the same opinion way back in the 1970s. They are the football equivalent of Tories, thinking they should rule by birthright.

Well, this bunch of pompous, overblown peacocks had their time in the sun, but it's gone now. It's time to knuckle down, completely change their ridiculous mindset, drop the arrogance, bin the deadwood, form a solid base on which to build, then work hard and build something new.

Of course, they think they are too big to actually work for it, so now they want the cheat code that comes in the form of a nation state to rescue them.

The changing world has basically told them, you might be Man Yernartid, but no, you can't do what you want. Computer says no, so fuck off.

Of course, they can't accept this, so they just want the cheat codes now. Hard work is so yesterday.

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39093 on: August 11, 2022, 01:18:09 pm »

Happy days.

It is easier to do and show the patience when you know you've got the right manager. It was quickly evident Moyes was out of his depth, Van Gaal was a short term solution and Mourinho is the ultimate short term fix, while Ole should never have been more than a caretaker. That's 9 years of fucks up with managers and they need to give this fella a proper chance. I've said before they need someone to do what Houllier did with us and to give him the authority to do that as a club and patience as fans.

But it even took Ferguson 4 or 5 years to turn a failing Manchester United around. This should be their year zero with their new manager, but instead you'll have the likes of Neville inciting riots because they're not signing 100 million players.

Online Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39094 on: August 11, 2022, 01:25:40 pm »
Always easier to say you'll be patient for a few years than actually being patient,particularly in the age of social media.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39095 on: August 11, 2022, 01:33:55 pm »
But the United fans aren't protesting that the club aren't spending money, they're protesting that the money is being spent badly and the club run incompetently while their stadium is falling apart. I doubt they'd be making a fuss if they had our owners, manager and backroom staff.

how would protesting help then? these hypocritical c*nts weren't protesting when shoulder shitter was backing the owners up and winning trophies. They weren't protesting when they wanted shit coat. They weren't protesting when they they splurged on the world most expensive defender and "last piece of the jigsaw". They weren't protesting when they signed sancho for 80m. They weren't protesting when rashford won the penalty that sealed ole fate as saviour. The glazers have been giving them everything the fans/board and management have demanded.

Their reasoning for protest is so paper thin that i am shocked that no media is picking a middle ground on it and everyone is on the neville narrative that they are being screwed over. Mental gymnastics of flip flopping from not enough spend to spending badly to whatever next. there isn't even a set agenda on what they are protesting on.

These fucking c*nts are so devoid of morals that i guess even if a billionaire genocidal psychopath were to buy them over they be celebrating on the streets and defending that they have passed the fit and proper test. We have already seen cases of it unfortunately.

I really hope to see more of them fighting in the stands and imploding on each other. Better than taking it out on other teams and innocent public. Somehow even then the FA would turn a blind eye surely as seen last season.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #39096 on: August 11, 2022, 01:36:02 pm »

Happy days.
They'll start demanding Zidane soon...
The fans' attitude is toxic atm.
I agree, they need to settle in, accept where they are and let Ten Haag do his job. If that meant Arnautovic, then so be it. With a club and the resources of their size, they would be off that diet in a few years, but noooo...
"We're United! We ... ermmm want what we want!"
1 Game!? 1, Freaking, Game! and they're already up in arms.

It's unbelievable how spoilt they are!
Any other club would be over the moon with half of what they have... and to have Ten Haag at the helm, but these are rotten.

It almost seemed as though they had accepted their predicament, but I thought that too soon.

The fanbase harms the club because they have no real desire to have 'good' owners.
100%!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 01:44:38 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Online Romford_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39097 on: August 11, 2022, 01:58:58 pm »
It is easier to do and show the patience when you know you've got the right manager.<snip>

I seem to recall us, as a fanbase (the closest parallel for where Utd have been, where they are and where they look like going) Patiently waiting on Evans. Then patiently waiting on Houllier, the patiently waiting on Rafa. Each and every time it was presented as a project. Each and every time we gave them patience and time up to the point (probably way past the point) that is obvious the project had stalled had to be started again.

In all that time, I don't recall our fans booing off our team except for that West Ham home game where the result meant we were languishing in the depths of 1st place. Not saying it didn't happen more but I don't recall it, which is telling.

That team needs absolutely gutting and starting again. Young and hungry players along with a few old heads (Eriksen, De Gea and Varane would be a good nucleus of that group) and the understanding that it will likely get a bit worse as they steer that oil tanker of a ship onto a better course.

Won't happen though because the fans won't have that because they're yernited.

Personally I'm glad. Napoleon had a great remark about what not to do when your enemy is making a mistake.

Online Romford_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39098 on: August 11, 2022, 02:17:48 pm »
The fans' attitude is toxic atm.

to be honest, that's the vocal side of most fanbases these days.
In a few seasons, with a few years of EL footie and CL footie just a couple of league places away, West Ham fans will complain that the manager has done well but lacks the ability to take that next step into the CL. Ignoring of course that the non-winning winner will have been batting way above the average (just as he did at Everton).
They'll get their way and a couple of seasons later will plummet back to bottom mid table. The manager will get replaced with this decade's fat sam or Tony Pulis, who will keep them up buy building a base (a boring base but a needed base) to build from, but that won't be good enough. The fans don't like boring footie. They'd rather play nice and lose (despite me never hearing how much a relegated team was happy that they got relegated as playing nice was more important to them)...

Bit of a rant I know. Today's toxic culture of 'bantz' and short-termism is just another nail into the coffin of my love for the game. Another reason why I'll likly follow Klopp out of the door when he goes. [/segue]

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39099 on: August 11, 2022, 02:26:04 pm »
I seem to recall us, as a fanbase (the closest parallel for where Utd have been, where they are and where they look like going) Patiently waiting on Evans. Then patiently waiting on Houllier, the patiently waiting on Rafa. Each and every time it was presented as a project. Each and every time we gave them patience and time up to the point (probably way past the point) that is obvious the project had stalled had to be started again.

In all that time, I don't recall our fans booing off our team except for that West Ham home game where the result meant we were languishing in the depths of 1st place. Not saying it didn't happen more but I don't recall it, which is telling.

That team needs absolutely gutting and starting again. Young and hungry players along with a few old heads (Eriksen, De Gea and Varane would be a good nucleus of that group) and the understanding that it will likely get a bit worse as they steer that oil tanker of a ship onto a better course.

Won't happen though because the fans won't have that because they're yernited.

Personally I'm glad. Napoleon had a great remark about what not to do when your enemy is making a mistake.

I remember Houllier's first home game in his first full season. We lost at home to newly promoted Watford. We also lost at home to Everton and United in the next month. United were the reigning treble winners. The crowd still stayed with the team.

Ten Hag has had one game in charge and Brighton are a useful side. Already it's a shitstorm brewing. Their ex players don't help but we had ex players with the knives out for Houllier as well.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #39100 on: August 11, 2022, 02:47:25 pm »
It is easier to do and show the patience when you know you've got the right manager. It was quickly evident Moyes was out of his depth, Van Gaal was a short term solution and Mourinho is the ultimate short term fix, while Ole should never have been more than a caretaker. That's 9 years of fucks up with managers and they need to give this fella a proper chance. I've said before they need someone to do what Houllier did with us and to give him the authority to do that as a club and patience as fans.

But it even took Ferguson 4 or 5 years to turn a failing Manchester United around. This should be their year zero with their new manager, but instead you'll have the likes of Neville inciting riots because they're not signing 100 million players.
The thing is though, they heralded most of those managers as the second coming when they were appointed. They always do that with players too. As soon as they sign they are heralded as the best in the world in that position. It used to be a standing joke that the Old Trafford cat was the best cat in the world. Same with their tea lady. Didn't Wenger even join in with a similar type of comment.

Look how they heralded the arrival of the absolutely appalling Slabhead. He was suddenly 'better than Van Dijk'.  ::) They big everything and everyone to do with them up to ridiculous proportions.

I only know one Manc fan personally. A southerner who married a friend of mine. Lovely guy he is too. But on a night out with him he was almost in tears about their club and was absolutely desperate for Mourinho to be brought in. Well, they got him, and look how that turned out. He thought Mourinho would be their saviour though.

Their entire club, from boardroom to fanbase need a complete reset. They desperately need to adjust their absurdly pompous and arrogant mindset and learn how to focus once more. If there was ever an example of a club believing its own hype and taking it's eye off the ball as a result, it's them.

They are the girl next door who surprisingly grew up to be a supermodel. Thing is, we all age. The Yernartid supermodel is no more. She is 80 now, but still thinks she's 23.

To be honest, I'm absolutely loving their demise. they were shite for decades as I was growing up. A laughing stock. What makes it all the sweeter is they watched our own empire take on the world before going into a decline of its own. They also watched avidly as we struggled to come back, yet they learned absolutely nothing from doing so.

The lessons are all there if only we choose to acknowledge and heed them. They were far too arrogant to heed any lessons at all, and are now reaping what they've sown. It's a bitter harvest, but one they cultivated and nurtured to fruition so well.

Eat up, boys and girls...
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 02:50:25 pm by Son of Spion »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #39101 on: August 11, 2022, 02:53:01 pm »

It's a bitter harvest, but one they cultivated and nurtured to fruition so well.

The beauty of that sentence!
alf a pound of braeburns!

Offline RAWK Meltdown #1

• "Assume they got our phones, assume they got our houses, assume they got us, right here, right now as we sit, everything. Assume it all..."
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • " When You Have To Shoot..Shoot...don't TIKI-TAKA"
« Reply #39102 on: August 11, 2022, 03:00:43 pm »
The beauty of that sentence!

"They..(gulp)....they should have sent a poet.."

~ Contact ~
YNWA

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39103 on: August 11, 2022, 03:19:03 pm »

Reality walked up to them, looked them dead in the eye and laughed straight in their face.

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39104 on: August 11, 2022, 04:10:55 pm »
They were jizzing after they got Ten Hags
That was just Wayne Rooney.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39105 on: August 11, 2022, 04:19:24 pm »
Right now they have the worst squad they've had since the day Ferguson walked away and a manager with a job that's far too big for him. Their team is packed with over rated over priced turds and then players like Fred and McTominkick who wouldn't be the starting midfield for Sunderland. They have a goalkeeper who was good 5 years ago and is on a par with our 3rd choice keeper.

Proper fucked they are.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #39106 on: August 11, 2022, 06:08:27 pm »
They are the football equivalent of Tories, thinking they should rule by birthright.
As I've said many times they're the establishment club
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #39107 on: August 11, 2022, 06:11:35 pm »

Bit of a rant I know. Today's toxic culture of 'bantz' and short-termism is just another nail into the coffin of my love for the game. Another reason why I'll likly follow Klopp out of the door when he goes. [/segue]
I agree it's shite. I don't let it affect my love of the game, though, but it does effect my view of fans, as is becoming ever more evident.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #39108 on: August 11, 2022, 07:43:35 pm »
Right now they have the worst squad they've had since the day Ferguson walked away and a manager with a job that's far too big for him.
The worst disjointed squad that I have seen, and that includes their 1974 squad.

Offline beardsleyismessimk1

• Owner Of A Messy Room!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is for living, so live it
« Reply #39109 on: August 12, 2022, 08:13:16 am »
Brentford will do these. Far more hungrier.  And will want to prove a point to erikson.
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #39110 on: August 12, 2022, 08:18:06 am »
Brentford will do these. Far more hungrier.  And will want to prove a point to erikson.
They’re always a dodgy referee away from being salvaged remember.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39111 on: August 12, 2022, 08:39:27 am »
It was the season before that when Klopp and the players got loads of bantz from rival clubs for celebrating the last minute Origi equaliser against West Brom.  That's where we were as a club right then and we've since gone on to get so many points (and trophies!) due to those last gasp goals.  With hindsight Klopp understood that journey from where Rodgers left us to the pinnacle of European football better than anybody else in world football.

I'm not sure ten Hag has the personality to do what Klopp did that day.

I'm 100% sure that Ten Hag doesn't have the personality to do what Klopp has done. This is a guy Tottenham thought didn't have the charisma to manage Tottenham.

There isn't another manager in football who could've taken the 5th/6th best team in England to outstrip a Guardiola-coached team with essentially unlimited funding (that has bent or broken the rules of every competition it has been in), and who could with a couple of different bounces of ball have three league titles from the last four.

Regarding Ten Hag, I have a sneaking suspicion that he might be completely out of his depth and might have a really short reign as United boss.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 08:44:26 am by lamonti »

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39112 on: August 12, 2022, 08:40:28 am »

If they can finish the chances they make, yes. I can see if being quite similar to last week's game. Brentford have all the play, but it's hugely important that they cash in when they have their moments.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #39113 on: August 12, 2022, 09:15:19 am »
Regarding Ten Hag, I have a sneaking suspicion that he might be completely out of his depth and might have a really short reign as United boss.

I actually think he's probably a good coach, and would do well at a big club that wasn't a complete basket case. What they needed was a sacrificial lamb to gut the squad, take the punishment for a shit season but at least lay some decent foundations. Ironically they had it with Rangnick. He's got no connection to United, no connection to the fans, no connection to any ex-players. Give him a two year contract when he started and have him fuck off the likes of Ronaldo, Pogba, Varane, Maguire, Mata, Matic etc etc. But the one who's now going to have to take the pain...is Ten Hag, who won't last long. And the process will continue, all the while avoiding the truth that they're just not the dominant biggest club in the world Disneyland destination that the hard shoulder shitter convinced them they were.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39114 on: August 12, 2022, 10:12:24 am »
I actually think he's probably a good coach, and would do well at a big club that wasn't a complete basket case. What they needed was a sacrificial lamb to gut the squad, take the punishment for a shit season but at least lay some decent foundations. Ironically they had it with Rangnick. He's got no connection to United, no connection to the fans, no connection to any ex-players. Give him a two year contract when he started and have him fuck off the likes of Ronaldo, Pogba, Varane, Maguire, Mata, Matic etc etc. But the one who's now going to have to take the pain...is Ten Hag, who won't last long. And the process will continue, all the while avoiding the truth that they're just not the dominant biggest club in the world Disneyland destination that the hard shoulder shitter convinced them they were.

I agree that the Ajax team he coached from what I saw of them in the CL a couple of seasons ago looked well coached, but coach isn't the job he's taken. He's manager at United and that is a far more complex gig.

Offline beardsleyismessimk1

• Owner Of A Messy Room!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is for living, so live it
« Reply #39115 on: August 12, 2022, 10:57:29 am »
If they can finish the chances they make, yes. I can see if being quite similar to last week's game. Brentford have all the play, but it's hugely important that they cash in when they have their moments.

At home. In London.  First home game on the back of a great comeback which will have left them feeling buoyed by the result. Think they will have too much energy and fight for this spineless United team. At this point they are serious relegation contenders.

Referees can only influence the game so much. They still need to get up the pitch to score. This lot look devoid of every ingredient to be a team.

After that they play us. I'm predicting 0 from 3 😁
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Offline BigCDump

• Kopite
  • Let's Klopp Til' We Drop
« Reply #39116 on: August 12, 2022, 10:59:12 am »
Yep. "Hated, adored, never ignored" isn't working anymore. They have become irrelevant and ignored. Soon they won't be the biggest club even in their own city.

Haven't City already become the most supported club in Manchester? The majority are so called Utd fans. They've been passionately/emotionally supporting Pep and Abu Dhabi for the past 2+ seasons and since Klopp and Pep aren't going anywhere for the next few years City will continue to be the ONLY club for them to support going forwards.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Utd shirts in the next City supporters video production.
Nineteen Six. Believe it now, baby!

Offline grenny158

• Main Stander
  • Be kind.
« Reply #39117 on: August 12, 2022, 12:18:22 pm »
I must say that I find it refreshing that the ape cadets at Red Cafe seem to be evolving a little in their honest evaluation of their team.

Where their midfield has for some time now been referred to (and not in a particularly good way) as 'McFred', it would seem that, with the impending arrival of Monsieur Adrien Rabiot, they have now changed it - quite endearingly, I might add - to:

McFrediot.

;D

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #39118 on: August 12, 2022, 12:24:52 pm »
Reminds me I haven't played Ape Escape in a while
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #39119 on: August 12, 2022, 01:03:02 pm »
I'm 100% sure that Ten Hag doesn't have the personality to do what Klopp has done. This is a guy Tottenham thought didn't have the charisma to manage Tottenham.

There isn't another manager in football who could've taken the 5th/6th best team in England to outstrip a Guardiola-coached team with essentially unlimited funding (that has bent or broken the rules of every competition it has been in), and who could with a couple of different bounces of ball have three league titles from the last four.

The more interesting question is whether someone like Klopp or Guardiola would have been able to make them a top club.
I doubt it. As much as I love Klopp, it's a pretty long and partially experienced list of managers that have failed there now.
They seem to have too much mediocre people pulling the strings in management, and they're not willing to replace those with competent ones.