The Liverpool FC Forum > Technology and Science

Boosting WiFi signal

<< < (24/28) > >>

Elmo!:

--- Quote from: Danny Singh on December 20, 2021, 08:03:03 pm ---Which out of the two would be faster, even though they will both be shit?

--- End quote ---

You can probably get better speed on satellite but it's expensive, will have small data caps and the latency is very high (so hopeless for gaming, and not great for VOIP/Teams/Zoom etc).

It might be worth taking it up with Ofcom. My mum and her partner are in a similar situation and Openreach are quoting something like £90k to install fibre to them and their neighbours (about 10 households). They can get a grant towards it from the government but the total amount between all households comes to about £30k. They have lodged an appeal with Ofcom to get it done or force Openreach to do it, I'm not sure on the exact details.

Danny Singh:

--- Quote from: Graeme on December 20, 2021, 08:08:55 pm ---Starlink does about 300Mbps I think but expect to pay a fair whack

--- End quote ---

Had a look at this and it does look good, but priced at almost £500 upfront and £89/month it's not cheap! It definitely seems better than ADSL though..

--- Quote from: Jolly Elf? on December 20, 2021, 08:09:45 pm ---You can probably get better speed on satellite but it's expensive, will have small data caps and the latency is very high (so hopeless for gaming, and not great for VOIP/Teams/Zoom etc).

It might be worth taking it up with Ofcom. My mum and her partner are in a similar situation and Openreach are quoting something like £90k to install fibre to them and their neighbours (about 10 households). They can get a grant towards it from the government but the total amount between all households comes to about £30k. They have lodged an appeal with Ofcom to get it done or force Openreach to do it, I'm not sure on the exact details.

--- End quote ---

Thanks, i've messaged ofcom so let's see what they say. I won't get my hopes up.

Danny Singh:
Happy New Year reds,

Quick update - I have purchased the TP Link AC 1200 Dual Band Archer MR600 V2 and now looking for an O2 sim.

There seems to be conflicting information whether a normal phone sim works in a 4G router, some say yes and some say only a data sim will work.

On the O2 website, a phone sim with unlimited data is available for £30/month (12 months) but they also have a mobile broadband sim with unlimited data available for £34/month (12 months).

Has anyone tried a normal sim in a router and can confirm if it works?

Thanks

Graeme:
Have you looked at Sky Mobile? They use the o2 network, you get to keep any unused data each month in a piggybank and their sims definitely work in a 4G router.

Danny Singh:

--- Quote from: Graeme on January  1, 2022, 12:51:58 pm ---Have you looked at Sky Mobile? They use the o2 network, you get to keep any unused data each month in a piggybank and their sims definitely work in a 4G router.

--- End quote ---

Looking for unlimited data as it will run everything in my house. Had a quick look and can only see 50GB on their website..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version