Author Topic: Classic Car choices  (Read 36635 times)

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
Re: Classic Car choices
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2017, 11:54:22 am »
This was the sexiest car I ever saw

Until this:

Kill the humourless

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2017, 11:54:31 am »
Although the Quattro still does it for me....

And Gulley's XJS harbours very fond memories.  I used to clean cars for a bit of money as a kid, and the XJS I used to clean was a dream.  The length of the bonnet and the boot, and the two wings running down onto the boot..

It's still beautiful (apart from the headlamps which I have never been a huge fan of).

I have to admit that when the Quattro turned up in 'Ashes to Ashes' I loved it :D
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2017, 12:06:53 pm »
Round 2..

More difficult..the Mk2 was pap but for me they certainly upped their game with the 2.8i Mk3.

Cousins husband had a Mk1 RS3100 in the early 80's, rare car that. I had a MaIL Cortina when I passed my test, then got a MKIII Capri  2.0GL, which I wrote off 12 months later.

When you see these old cars now they are tiny compared to modern monsters
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2017, 09:28:12 am »
That Mk1 Capri is boss..proper stunner.
As for the Xjs the twin headlamps are much better too G.

Posting from my fone so hopefully i dont fuck up with the Golf..still going strong Mks 1-7 here.
I have to say its one of those models i have to go modern with.

Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2017, 09:48:28 am »
Mk 5&6 were ugly.  Things getting a bit better with the mk 7
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2017, 11:18:02 am »
My mates brothers collection Lads... I would take just one of these :-)
During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.

Online Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2017, 06:24:52 pm »
560 SEC 1990 5.6 V8

Absolute beauty, my favourite ever car. I always knew Corkboy was a man of wealth and taste. 1990 must have been pretty much the last year of that model?

In the theme of classic German coupes, also a big fan of this one:

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2017, 06:57:46 pm »
Absolute beauty, my favourite ever car. I always knew Corkboy was a man of wealth and taste. 1990 must have been pretty much the last year of that model?

Yeah, or 91 maybe. I bought it with 100k on the clock for about six grand!

And yes, that 6 series was gorgeous too.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #48 on: June 1, 2017, 10:38:44 am »
The Ford Fiesta..

Most of us will have had one at some stage,i had a Mk1 & to be honest i kicked fuck out of it..terrible motor for me.

Here we have Mks 1-3.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: June 1, 2017, 11:52:20 am »
Way better than the fiesta...

I learned to drive in one of these and drove one for a few years...

Absolutely phenomenal on country roads.  Hung on like it was on rails...just a perfectly balanced little car...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #50 on: June 1, 2017, 03:46:54 pm »
The Ford Fiesta..

Most of us will have had one at some stage,i had a Mk1 & to be honest i kicked fuck out of it..terrible motor for me.

Here we have Mks 1-3.

Yes a mk I for me too. 50 notes it cost me in 1988 for the base 900cc model (I think it was over 15 years old and was caned - holes all over the place). My dad was a mechanic though and did a nice engine tune up, valve lapping etc. And I got a top of the range XR3 cassette radio from a nice man in the Leather Bottle so that was all legit  :P

Offline TomDcs

• Cross dressing, pant shitting, clothes thief
  • Legacy Fan
  • Six times...
« Reply #51 on: June 1, 2017, 11:01:49 pm »

I always lusted after one of these...

Me too, good ones to for Ł50k now!

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: June 3, 2017, 04:51:21 pm »
The Fiesta XR2 was a lovely, meaty little car.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #53 on: June 3, 2017, 05:09:32 pm »
A car I quite liked back in the 70's was the Alfa Romeo 1750.

Like most Alfa's of the period, absolute rot boxes, but georgeous engines.

I was offered one in the early 80's for pennies, totally shagged out and it would have needed a bare shell rebuild but at the time, they really just weren't worth it.

It would seem that restored examples have since become collectable though, probably largely due to rarity now..someone's asking 30K for this one!!.

Still quite a pretty looking car.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #54 on: June 3, 2017, 06:16:50 pm »
mmmmmmmmmmmm
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: June 3, 2017, 06:27:25 pm »
W

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: June 3, 2017, 07:31:41 pm »
I darent say or ill get banned
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: June 3, 2017, 07:36:16 pm »
I darent say or ill get banned
I'm not sure how you could get banned for Bergerac?!
W

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #58 on: June 3, 2017, 07:40:43 pm »
|My first car, not sure if it counts as a classic, mind...
This is indeed a classic car. A stunning little car that is one of the most original in the history of car manufacturing. A car as art, a beautiful piece of minimalism in car form, imo...and I don't drive, but if I did...

Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: June 3, 2017, 07:41:34 pm »
This is indeed a classic car. A stunning little car that is one of the most original in the history of car manufacturing. A car as art, a beautiful piece of minimalism in car form, imo...and I don't drive, but if I did....
It would break down ;D
W

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: June 3, 2017, 07:42:39 pm »
Its a beaut:)

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #61 on: June 3, 2017, 10:13:06 pm »
It would break down ;D
;D

I'll take your word for that....it would still be aesthetically pleasing though.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: June 3, 2017, 10:14:40 pm »
;D

I'll take your word for that....it would still be aesthetically pleasing though.
I hate them, but I do recognise the genius of their design at the same time...
W

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #63 on: June 3, 2017, 10:15:38 pm »
Its a beaut:)
Talking of beauts.... :P I was thinking abar you the other day as I rode to Haworth out of Hebden Bridge...I saw two C130 Hercules flying overhead as I rode up the moors there...it was pretty fucking cool.

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #64 on: June 3, 2017, 10:19:30 pm »
Any old Merc SL convertible from the late 70's to the mid 80's would be a fantastic buy in my opinion.

They can still be found for reasonable prices and their value has only been going one way - up. An early 80's Merc SL hardtop convertible for up to Ł7k-Ł10k would be a solid investment to sit on for even just 2-3 years, and still sell at a hefty profit. And you can still use it and enjoy it and then sell it on for a profit later on.

« Last Edit: June 3, 2017, 10:21:57 pm by Caligula? »

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #65 on: June 4, 2017, 02:28:35 pm »
What an amazing looking car the SL is & the one posted above iswhere the stylists fucked up..those headlamps,nah not at all..im a big fan of round lamps on classic cars but they have an adverse look on that SL.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: June 5, 2017, 03:21:56 am »
There's an SL on display in the Trafford Centre, belonged to peels owners Ma or something like that
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #67 on: June 5, 2017, 05:29:09 am »
What an amazing looking car the SL is & the one posted above iswhere the stylists fucked up..those headlamps,nah not at all..im a big fan of round lamps on classic cars but they have an adverse look on that SL.

I think that's the American spec one - complete with the ugly headlamps and bumpers. But you can easily swap the newer headlamps on it and get rid of those ghastly things. They are truly fantastic automobiles and pieces of engineering and in a decade or so they'll be worth a fortune.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #68 on: June 5, 2017, 09:06:15 am »
/\

Goung back a few years one of my mates had one of these..

Very similar..now a quite famous actor,been a long time since i seen him & i bet he will be gutted if he shifted it on.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #69 on: June 5, 2017, 09:39:48 am »
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: June 5, 2017, 09:50:21 am »
:)

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #71 on: June 5, 2017, 01:08:10 pm »
/\

Goung back a few years one of my mates had one of these..

Very similar..now a quite famous actor,been a long time since i seen him & i bet he will be gutted if he shifted it on.

That is a beauty of a car.

I was always partial to the old Alfa Romero Giulietta Spiders from the 60's. Sure they broke down all the time but they broke down in style.

I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #72 on: June 5, 2017, 01:29:46 pm »
/\

Very stylish motor indeed mate.

I like watching Wheeler Dealers..sure Mike Brewer is an annoying fecker but it's great seeing old classics get a new life.
I watched one i had recorded yesterday about a VW Karmann ghia he brought back from the the states..Ed whatsisface knows his stuff,great mechanic.
Your post reminded me of it..quite similar.

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: June 5, 2017, 01:56:12 pm »
This was the sexiest car I ever saw

Until this:

I drove one of those a couple of years back. I think it was a '60?

You're basically lying flat as you drive it. It was absolutely terrifying... mainly because it still had the original brakes.
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #74 on: June 5, 2017, 03:23:54 pm »
Was gonna do a series on the Mini but their wasn't a great deal of change.  :D

Mk1.

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: June 5, 2017, 03:24:12 pm »
/\

I like watching Wheeler Dealers..sure Mike Brewer is an annoying fecker but it's great seeing old classics get a new life.
I watched one i had recorded yesterday about a VW Karmann ghia he brought back from the the states..Ed whatsisface knows his stuff,great mechanic.

Beautiful car, pig to drive though, in reality, it's just a fancy Beetle.

The Type 3 Razor edge was just as pretty, and ever rarer.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: June 5, 2017, 04:17:43 pm »
/\

Ed's gone now, quit the show as the focus was switching away from the mechanics, so lost what made it. Brewer is an utter cock, but they did some great cars on it. The Lambo and Ferrari ones were good.

Offline Cheshire_Cat

• Anny Roader
« Reply #77 on: June 5, 2017, 04:56:17 pm »
Some stunning cars in here. For those of you in Liverpool you should check out the Cars & Coffee meets every month at the Chung Ku restaurant. I couldn't make yesterday's meet, but I was there last month. Everything from a brand spanking new Aventador S to a 1964 Austin 1100 .... and just about everything in between.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz2SW76hgjg

Offline Cheshire_Cat

• Anny Roader
« Reply #78 on: June 5, 2017, 05:00:49 pm »
That is a beauty of a car.

I was always partial to the old Alfa Romero Giulietta Spiders from the 60's. Sure they broke down all the time but they broke down in style.

That's gorgeous. Always had a soft spot for an old Alfa. Hired a 1969 Spider in Italy last year and fell in love.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #79 on: June 5, 2017, 06:39:26 pm »
Phwoar!

1974 Jaguar E-Type Series III Roadster

It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.