Author Topic: Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4,SIE)  (Read 29658 times)

Offline pezzzer

• Kopite
  • Club first country second
Re: Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4,SIE)
« Reply #120 on: March 7, 2017, 08:05:59 am »
I'm really enjoying it so far, I'm very old school when it comes to games as I'm from the day when the Amiga ruled and even the early PlayStation/Xbox games were pretty simplified unless you went for a final fantasy like game/RPG which I've always stayed away from, and I've struggled to get to grips with a lot of the new stuff that's out, I tried far cry 4 and fallout 4 but I cldnt get my gaming head around this crafting bollox but this game makes it much easier and I'm determined to make it second nature as thats the way open world games are getting. I've loved all the Zelda's though (no crafting in them lol) and km regretting cancelling my pee order, this game will do nicely for now though :)
On a side note in 4K and HDR this is simply the best looking game I've ever played.
metallic on psn, cod4 buddies welcome

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #121 on: March 7, 2017, 09:41:49 am »
So I finally found out the backstory to the game (via the main story) anyone who's up to the Heart of the Nora questline reply with your thoughts in spoiler tags! The story has really capture me holy shit!

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: March 8, 2017, 11:08:03 pm »
Still loving this. I just find the the thunderjaw much difficult to take down than the other enemies. Any tips? Came across my first stormbird and was a piece if piss in comparison.

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: March 8, 2017, 11:50:13 pm »
Still loving this. I just find the the thunderjaw much difficult to take down than the other enemies. Any tips? Came across my first stormbird and was a piece if piss in comparison.

The tear ammo is king when taking down the Thunderjaw, I always start by using it to knock its radar component off so it can't detect me when I'm hiding in long grass.

Offline PhilV

• Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #124 on: March 9, 2017, 09:31:39 am »

Check out my video on it on my TouTube channel, you can see it here: http://youtu.be/AEL7ENC41gM

In text form, for me what works is, first of all trap wires around the place they prowl, this will give you escape routes to make him run into when he's moving.

Secondly you'll need a ropecaster.

Thirdly - the plan - after the traps are set use a Tear arrow or the Tearblast arrow and take out both his Disc Launchers mounted on his back, omnce they are off you tie him down with the Ropecaster and once he is tied down pick up the disc launcher and ruin his day.

Always works :)

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: March 9, 2017, 10:00:57 am »
Nice one!

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: March 9, 2017, 10:02:13 am »
The tear ammo is king when taking down the Thunderjaw, I always start by using it to knock its radar component off so it can't detect me when I'm hiding in long grass.

Yeah i knocked his components off with the tear arrow but it's health is ridiculous. I didn't know you could pick up the disc launcher like Phil mentioned and I always forget I've got a ropecaster!!!!

Online Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: March 9, 2017, 10:21:14 am »
Yeah i knocked his components off with the tear arrow but it's health is ridiculous. I didn't know you could pick up the disc launcher like Phil mentioned and I always forget I've got a ropecaster!!!!

Yeah I didn't bother with the ropecaster, though I still have the one I bought very early in the game so I'm not sure it'd work anyway!

I got through it's health by using the tear ammo to remove the armour around its heart and then hitting it repeatedly with armor piercing arrows (the icon for them is the arrow head with extra lines below the tip). The double/triple arrow ability was really handy here as I could basically hit it with three arrows, all boosted by mods, at once. Each hit takes off a huge amount if you get it right in the heart.

Using the disc launcher is a pretty good strategy too, I've been trying to take the stealthy approach but for balls out damage that thing does seem ridiculous. I might try taking one down while riding a broadhead at some point too, that could be pretty cool, or a total disaster.

Offline PhilV

• Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #128 on: March 9, 2017, 10:42:11 am »
Yeah I didn't bother with the ropecaster, though I still have the one I bought very early in the game so I'm not sure it'd work anyway!

I got through it's health by using the tear ammo to remove the armour around its heart and then hitting it repeatedly with armor piercing arrows (the icon for them is the arrow head with extra lines below the tip). The double/triple arrow ability was really handy here as I could basically hit it with three arrows, all boosted by mods, at once. Each hit takes off a huge amount if you get it right in the heart.

Using the disc launcher is a pretty good strategy too, I've been trying to take the stealthy approach but for balls out damage that thing does seem ridiculous. I might try taking one down while riding a broadhead at some point too, that could be pretty cool, or a total disaster.

Depends which one you got and ammo, the Ropecaster has Light, Medium and Heavy ropes, corresponds to the type of Machine you use it on, Thunderjaw and Behemoths, etc require Heavy Rope or they will just break it :)

Disc Launcher takes a huuuuuuuge chunk of health, one disc launcher takes him down to about 1/4 health and the second one finishes him

One of the funnest things I've dfone is pure two Thunderjaws against each other, it was pure carnage, I will upload that video onto youtube soon, it was BBC2 Robot Wars all over again!  8)

Online Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: March 9, 2017, 02:12:39 pm »
Depends which one you got and ammo, the Ropecaster has Light, Medium and Heavy ropes, corresponds to the type of Machine you use it on, Thunderjaw and Behemoths, etc require Heavy Rope or they will just break it :)

Disc Launcher takes a huuuuuuuge chunk of health, one disc launcher takes him down to about 1/4 health and the second one finishes him

One of the funnest things I've dfone is pure two Thunderjaws against each other, it was pure carnage, I will upload that video onto youtube soon, it was BBC2 Robot Wars all over again!  8)

The basic ropecaster only has one kind of rope so it's a no go, I'll probably go and get the items for the shadow variation soon I've just been focusing on other stuff first. I've also been really, really hoping the Thunderjaw can be ridden when you override it, but I'm guessing that's probably not possible sadly.

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #130 on: March 9, 2017, 02:34:21 pm »
Is there a way to increase the amount of weapons you can carry and have ready or is that limited to four? I thought I had seen a video where there were more than four weapons available in the weapons wheel, but I might have gotten that mixed up with the different kinds of ammunition...

Online Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: March 9, 2017, 04:59:32 pm »
Is there a way to increase the amount of weapons you can carry and have ready or is that limited to four? I thought I had seen a video where there were more than four weapons available in the weapons wheel, but I might have gotten that mixed up with the different kinds of ammunition...

Limited to four, the later weapons have more ammo types which is probably what you saw. You can swap them out mid-fight by equipping them from the UI but it's a bit of a hassle, kind of a shame as I've neglected the war bow a bit purely because I haven't had it equipped.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: March 9, 2017, 10:19:26 pm »
Completed all the Hunting challenges with 15 blazing suns, weapons are a slight improvement but i'm not sure it was worth my effort ;D
STFU and agree with me.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #133 on: March 10, 2017, 09:01:22 am »
Its very Games of Thronesy isn't it? Certainly the music.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline PhilV

• Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #134 on: March 10, 2017, 09:45:37 am »
The basic ropecaster only has one kind of rope so it's a no go, I'll probably go and get the items for the shadow variation soon I've just been focusing on other stuff first. I've also been really, really hoping the Thunderjaw can be ridden when you override it, but I'm guessing that's probably not possible sadly.

Basic ropecaster works on Thunderjaw, just needs more ropes, it worked for me, you can see I am using a green one in my vid. Unfortunately you cannot ride a Thunderjaw BUT it is amazing overriding one and seeing it go to town against other machines!

Also - finished the game last night, managed to get Platinum trophy first time (to be honest it's not overly hard) and yeah, amazing, blown away, for an original title it's probably my tied favourite with TLOU - absolutely intriguing story, I LOVED the lore about the world and the way they reference to everyday things (what were cups for, for example) and so on.

The only thing I don't get is this:

Metal Flowers....
Spoiler
what are they for, Aloy says they are recent so not ancient... and you find Elizabet at the end and her body is surrounded by a flower arrangement like you get around the metal flowers....am I missing something?

Post credits sequence...wow...deffo setup for a second game, I get why Sylens did it though but I am not sure I can understand how he'd have the technical know how to capture an AI in some rudementary device and so on, yes HADES taught him stuff but I doubt complex AI control/code etc were one of them, he doesn't even have a computer and they mentioned that the focus is basic!?
[close]

Online Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: March 10, 2017, 09:59:30 am »
Basic ropecaster works on Thunderjaw, just needs more ropes, it worked for me, you can see I am using a green one in my vid. Unfortunately you cannot ride a Thunderjaw BUT it is amazing overriding one and seeing it go to town against other machines!

Ah that's cool, I just assumed those piddly ropes would do nothing. I did get the shadow ropecaster last night, I needed it after finding the site with two Thunderjaws and deciding to take them both down. That disk launcher is insanely powerful!

Has anyone had issues with their mods disappearing? I have the tinker ability which allows me to remove and replace them but I've lost multiple rare damage/fire mods recently. My assumption is that with the tinker ability you still have to remove the old mod before adding a new one, which if correct is a horrible flaw.

Completed all the Hunting challenges with 15 blazing suns, weapons are a slight improvement but i'm not sure it was worth my effort ;D

I got 3 blazing suns on the first lodge and then decided I never wanted to do another hunting lodge again. Ditto for collecting flowers/cups/figures/etc and climbing Tallheads. As great as this game is it hasn't managed to avoid some of worst open world mission types. Also what I wouldn't give for a way to filter the icons on the map!

Online stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: March 10, 2017, 10:40:43 am »

Some of the stuff in this game is insane. On my way to a quest location yesterday, I heard fighting noises from afar. When I arrived at the place, there were some human thugs, some Tramplers, some Longlegs and Sawtooths engaged in a huge fight...   :o

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: March 10, 2017, 12:26:35 pm »
Some of the stuff in this game is insane. On my way to a quest location yesterday, I heard fighting noises from afar. When I arrived at the place, there were some human thugs, some Tramplers, some Longlegs and Sawtooths engaged in a huge fight...   :o

I over-rode a couple of those big antler things (Broadbacks?) and then left them behind as I went hunting, then heard a bit of a disturbance and came back and the pair of them had battered a load of bandits and a Sawtooth.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Chirpy Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Anfield might be million miles away but it's home
« Reply #138 on: March 11, 2017, 06:01:23 pm »
23 hours in and level 21. I feel I can now give a good assessment of the three pillars that make this game truly great:

The open world: Probably my favourite open world for an RPG bar none. Simply breathtaking it is not superficial, it has lots of depth through its ambiance and the weather effects. The sandstorm blowing through the desert and the wind in the forest add so much to the personality of this world. Absolutely incredible foliage that makes the world feel alive and a pleasant experience to blend into. A ton of diversity with mountains,forests,jungle,deserts,canyons,lakes and so on. A good array of interesting towns and villages to explore depicting each tribe differently and Meridian is also a very cool place. But it is the stories in the world that really adds another layer to the game. Walking through the deserted and destroyed cities,ruins of the old ones and exploring the cauldrons; the sense of wonder and mystery is in so many locations.This is world you want to explore rather than fast travel.

Controlling Aloy and combat: This is not even about how cool of a character she is - which does add to it - but more about the fluidity of combat and traversal of Aloy. The satisfaction you get from shooting the bow and getting a great shot or the delight you feel when you place a set tripwires it comes off. The wry smile that comes across ones face every time performing a silent kill. The sheer joy of rolling and dodging enemies as well as traversing up mountains. The progression tree on the face of it seems boring but most of the skills are very useful and will be beneficial in tougher battles and there will always be a skill you look at and think I could do with that ability.

The machines: Undoubtedly some of the coolest and most unique enemies faced in a game. Each machines is different, they coexist in the world so well and every time you explore the world there is always a constant presence of danger. Even watchers and grazers will give you trouble if you misfire too many arrows. Every time you come across a new machine, I have a palpable feeling of concern and cautiousness to the fight as you never know what weapons or attacks they could inflict on Aloy. Seeing a thunderjaw in the distance in a canyon or a sawtooth prowling in the night and sound of the mechanical feet trudge through a forest is always a heart pounding moment. As the game tells you: respect the machines.

These 3 elements truly make the game special for me. I like the story and I have found some great side quests but I cannot say yet whether it is worth buying the game just for the story yet. Buying it for the world,combat and machines though is worth it.

Offline Teapot

• Legacy Fan
  • Smile....It confuses people!!
« Reply #139 on: March 11, 2017, 07:46:58 pm »
Are the modifications important to use? I dont have a clue which is best and what to use.  I have a few mods on my weapons, but like i say im not sure whats good to equip.  I've put about 2-3 hours in and i still havent reached the proving yet. Im currently killing things and doing the side quests, tho i think ive done all the quests now.  Its a really enjoyable game, the graphics look so good and the game play is superb, it just feels so slick and smooth.

Any advice for a first play through?  What i should be collecting or doing to help me further down the line?

Loving it.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: March 11, 2017, 08:35:21 pm »
Are the modifications important to use? I dont have a clue which is best and what to use.  I have a few mods on my weapons, but like i say im not sure whats good to equip.  I've put about 2-3 hours in and i still havent reached the proving yet. Im currently killing things and doing the side quests, tho i think ive done all the quests now.  Its a really enjoyable game, the graphics look so good and the game play is superb, it just feels so slick and smooth.

Any advice for a first play through?  What i should be collecting or doing to help me further down the line?

Loving it.

Obviously different mods do different things, at first you will only get uncommon mods with small damage modifiers etc but take down the bigger beasts and you'll unlock rarer ones. I tend to equip high damage on my regular bow (the one you started with) and also fire damage because that bow has fire damage. Basically as you buy or find weapons and the same with outfits, they'll be geared towards damage, tear, freeze, shock etc so I usually equip mods which improve there base attribute. So if I have a sling with shock damage I'll equip another shock mod on top of that, or a sharpshooter bow with tear damage I'll add more tear damage.

With outfits I usually add mods which offer melee resistance but there's no set way in which to mod hour weapons and outfits, ultimately just try and collect more rarer mods with the bigger percentages and you won't go far wrong

Offline Rattleduser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #141 on: March 12, 2017, 10:15:51 pm »
Just picked up the shield weaver armour and it makes you a tank, can take anything down with ease. think I'm on the last mission, gonna clear the map of side quests and everything before I start it. Been boss this.
PSN: white-of-my-eyes

Online Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: March 13, 2017, 12:04:48 am »
Just picked up the shield weaver armour and it makes you a tank, can take anything down with ease. think I'm on the last mission, gonna clear the map of side quests and everything before I start it. Been boss this.

I think I'm around the same point, just got the last power cell too and the shield weaver armour is pretty badass, I'll avoid using it in the story missions because I can see it making things too easy.

Not sure I can be bothered with the rest of the side missions, it's been a brilliant game to play through and piecing the history together has been great, I think I'd rather just finish it up than try to clean up all of the bits I've avoided so far now. I might go back later and do some when I get the itch again instead.

Offline Teapot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: March 13, 2017, 07:59:07 am »
Thanks upinsmoke.  i really need to pay more attention to the mods, i have loads that i'll never use, best sell them i think!

I've been struggling to kill some of the bigger/tougher enemies, after watching a few videos last night i realised i need to buy some weapons.  I never bought anything, i've been using the 2 basic weapons you get from the start d'oh!  Do all the vendors sell the same weapons?  Im wondering whether i need to look up guides on where to buy certain weapons.  Once i get kitted out im going to do the hunting grounds, if you get the high tier completion on all of them you get the 3 best weapons in the game.

Need to find out where these power cores are too.

Immensely enjoying the game, so easily to get side tracked.  I feel like ive barely touched the main story quests.  The big radar dinosaurs are massive, unlocking them is next on my list, need to see the whole map! :)

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: March 13, 2017, 09:14:03 am »
Just had an epic set of kills, set a load of carefully laid traps to take out two Ravagers, about six Watchers and then three Behemoths a little further into the valley. Took about half hour to set it all up and then execute the plan and it went perfectly and took about a minute to finish them all off. Then some unseen Broadhead came and charged me down a canyon and I lost all my progress  :'(

Online stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: March 13, 2017, 10:24:27 am »
Thanks upinsmoke.  i really need to pay more attention to the mods, i have loads that i'll never use, best sell them i think!

I've been struggling to kill some of the bigger/tougher enemies, after watching a few videos last night i realised i need to buy some weapons.  I never bought anything, i've been using the 2 basic weapons you get from the start d'oh!  Do all the vendors sell the same weapons?  Im wondering whether i need to look up guides on where to buy certain weapons.  Once i get kitted out im going to do the hunting grounds, if you get the high tier completion on all of them you get the 3 best weapons in the game.

Need to find out where these power cores are too.

Immensely enjoying the game, so easily to get side tracked.  I feel like ive barely touched the main story quests.  The big radar dinosaurs are massive, unlocking them is next on my list, need to see the whole map! :)

Vendors in the same regions have the same stuff to sell. So, a guy in Meridian has different weapons and gear compared to a guy in the area where you start the game. However, the guy in Meridian village has the same ones as the bloke in Meridian. That is the one big thing I'd criticise about the game. It is not doing a good job in making you care about your gear. First of all, I all find it a bit hard to know which weapon is better (clearly blue ones are better than green ones and purple ones are the best), but it is still a bit hard to tell a difference in terms of how much damage they do. I know there is a difference, but you just don't really "feel" it in the game. Same goes for armour. I still have no clue what kind of armour to wear. Will probably go for the purple one that gives you a bit of protection against everything. Currently, I'm wearing the one I got for pre-ordering the game and have loads of stealth on it. Not sure, how much a difference it makes though. And again, the game just misses out here, in making you feel a difference.

Had a boss fight last night where I struggled for the first time. Had to fight a huge machine in a quarry and just couldn't beat it. It said that it was vulnerable to ice, but that didn't really do anything. It also said, that the body was strong against fire, so it didn't make much sense using my fire-arrows. Took the sharpshooter bow and tried to tear of the machine's parts, but that wasn't any real use either. So, I died a couple of times having shot loads of arrows into the thing without doing any real damage. Then I decided to use blast-wires and all it took was getting the thing to run into four or five of them and it was dead.
The quest was supposed to be for level 24-characters and I think I'm at 26 at the moment. And the levelling system seems a bit all over the place like the weapons and armour. Main quests are all still well below level 20. I've not deliberately stopped doing them, they just take me into areas of the map, where I don't want to go without finishing the stuff I've left in and around the places I know...

Offline Rattleduser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: March 13, 2017, 11:16:41 am »
I find main quests are a drag at times and more often than not I just skip all the talking, couldn't give a fuck if I miss something. The Cauldrons are the best bits for me.

Online Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: March 13, 2017, 02:04:46 pm »
Vendors in the same regions have the same stuff to sell. So, a guy in Meridian has different weapons and gear compared to a guy in the area where you start the game. However, the guy in Meridian village has the same ones as the bloke in Meridian. That is the one big thing I'd criticise about the game. It is not doing a good job in making you care about your gear. First of all, I all find it a bit hard to know which weapon is better (clearly blue ones are better than green ones and purple ones are the best), but it is still a bit hard to tell a difference in terms of how much damage they do. I know there is a difference, but you just don't really "feel" it in the game. Same goes for armour. I still have no clue what kind of armour to wear. Will probably go for the purple one that gives you a bit of protection against everything. Currently, I'm wearing the one I got for pre-ordering the game and have loads of stealth on it. Not sure, how much a difference it makes though. And again, the game just misses out here, in making you feel a difference.

Had a boss fight last night where I struggled for the first time. Had to fight a huge machine in a quarry and just couldn't beat it. It said that it was vulnerable to ice, but that didn't really do anything. It also said, that the body was strong against fire, so it didn't make much sense using my fire-arrows. Took the sharpshooter bow and tried to tear of the machine's parts, but that wasn't any real use either. So, I died a couple of times having shot loads of arrows into the thing without doing any real damage. Then I decided to use blast-wires and all it took was getting the thing to run into four or five of them and it was dead.
The quest was supposed to be for level 24-characters and I think I'm at 26 at the moment. And the levelling system seems a bit all over the place like the weapons and armour. Main quests are all still well below level 20. I've not deliberately stopped doing them, they just take me into areas of the map, where I don't want to go without finishing the stuff I've left in and around the places I know...

The weapons are pretty straightforward I thought, better weapons allow a wider variety of ammo to be used (or better ammo in the case of the ropecaster), and there are only three tiers to them. Personally I just went ahead and bought all of the purple weapons quite early on to give me more flexibility.

I don't think you're necessarily supposed to pick an outfit either, all of them have different attributes that suit different situations. I tend to default to the stealth outfit with extra stealth weaves attached, then in the bigger battles I swap it out for outfits that offer resistance that best fits the enemy strength, so against a fire bellowback I use the Carja Blazon because it protects against fire, with extra resist fire weaves applied to protect me further. The outfits make a huge difference to the damage you sustain.

Also the weapon mods tend to only affect certain types of ammo, so for example a tear damage mod will never add tear damage to a fire arrow because fire arrows don't do tear damage. For that reason I tend to stack them and swap them out often, like against a Thunderjaw I might stack my bow with tear mods initially to take off its weapons, then remove them and stack damage mods to get the kill. You need the tinker ability to remove mods.

Offline Rattleduser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: March 14, 2017, 02:24:47 pm »
I think I'm around the same point, just got the last power cell too and the shield weaver armour is pretty badass, I'll avoid using it in the story missions because I can see it making things too easy.

Not sure I can be bothered with the rest of the side missions, it's been a brilliant game to play through and piecing the history together has been great, I think I'd rather just finish it up than try to clean up all of the bits I've avoided so far now. I might go back later and do some when I get the itch again instead.

spent a full day trying to get side missions and collectables done, more just keep popping up. 73% complete.

Offline pezzzer

• Kopite
« Reply #149 on: March 14, 2017, 03:05:56 pm »
Is it best to upgrade the weapons to purple asap and does this get you the freeze arrows?

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: March 14, 2017, 07:16:20 pm »
Is it best to upgrade the weapons to purple asap and does this get you the freeze arrows?

Not unless you use them regularly. I only use the bow and tripcaster so upgraded them to purple as soon as I could. Then I concentrated on getting a purple Nora Silent Hunter Heavy (stealth) outfit for bezzing about the open world in and Nora Survivor Heavy that I switch into for fisticuffs.

As well as keeping everything fully stocked that's pretty much taken me upto about Level 25 spending to the limit. Think you might find yourself short if you try to buy everything from the off.

Freeze arrows I haven't come across.

Offline Teapot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: March 15, 2017, 10:24:06 am »
I completed all the trials yesterday and got those purple weapons. They seem ok, I'll have to buy a few more by the looks of it.  The bows you get rewarded don't exactly do damage as such, basically applies elemental damage etc.

I want to get that suit which requires the 5 power cells. I'll try and progress through the story a bit too unlock those missions. I completed the cauldron area, that place looks great in 4k.

So many things to do in this game ,it's hard to know where to start.  At this point I'd like to get the platinum, but I'm not entirely sure what's involved in the long run. Cracking game.

Offline pezzzer

• Kopite
« Reply #152 on: March 15, 2017, 11:09:17 am »
Not unless you use them regularly. I only use the bow and tripcaster so upgraded them to purple as soon as I could. Then I concentrated on getting a purple Nora Silent Hunter Heavy (stealth) outfit for bezzing about the open world in and Nora Survivor Heavy that I switch into for fisticuffs.

As well as keeping everything fully stocked that's pretty much taken me upto about Level 25 spending to the limit. Think you might find yourself short if you try to buy everything from the off.

Freeze arrows I haven't come across.
Thanks for the advice mate, I need three more skill points so I can add the Tinker perk as I think that is supposed to come in handy with weapon customisation.
I need to get more tear damage to my bows as there not doing a lot against the bigger foes, are the potions a decent option in combat too?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 11:29:17 am by pezzzer »

Online Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: March 15, 2017, 02:31:57 pm »
Thanks for the advice mate, I need three more skill points so I can add the Tinker perk as I think that is supposed to come in handy with weapon customisation.
I need to get more tear damage to my bows as there not doing a lot against the bigger foes, are the potions a decent option in combat too?

Are you using tear ammo? The tear effect of regular arrows is pretty miminal, but the tear ammo you can use with the second/third sharpshot bow will rip components off enemies with ease.

And yeah the tinker ability is brilliant, it allows you to swap out all of your mods for each fight without losing any.

Offline pezzzer

• Kopite
« Reply #154 on: March 15, 2017, 03:02:47 pm »
Are you using tear ammo? The tear effect of regular arrows is pretty miminal, but the tear ammo you can use with the second/third sharpshot bow will rip components off enemies with ease.

And yeah the tinker ability is brilliant, it allows you to swap out all of your mods for each fight without losing any.
Do the normal vendors sell the tear ammo mate? I've just been using the standard arrows and the fire ones. Is it worth upgrading my bow to the next level as I've just got the one I started with?.

Online Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: March 15, 2017, 03:25:31 pm »
Do the normal vendors sell the tear ammo mate? I've just been using the standard arrows and the fire ones. Is it worth upgrading my bow to the next level as I've just got the one I started with?.

It's not about buying ammo, you need a weapon that has that ammo type available, it's all a bit backwards. There are three bow weapons, the Hunter bow, Sharpshot bow and War bow. The Sharpshot bow is the one with the Tear ammo, and you need to buy the Carja or Shadow version of the Sharpshot, not the cheap one.

http://horizonzerodawn.wikia.com/wiki/Sharpshot_Bow

There's also another weapon called the Tearblaster which does tear damage but only at close range, I didn't end up using it but it's probably pretty good.

http://horizonzerodawn.wikia.com/wiki/Tearblaster

The War bow is the one that has shock, freeze and corruption arrows.

Offline pezzzer

• Kopite
« Reply #156 on: March 15, 2017, 04:59:13 pm »
It's not about buying ammo, you need a weapon that has that ammo type available, it's all a bit backwards. There are three bow weapons, the Hunter bow, Sharpshot bow and War bow. The Sharpshot bow is the one with the Tear ammo, and you need to buy the Carja or Shadow version of the Sharpshot, not the cheap one.

http://horizonzerodawn.wikia.com/wiki/Sharpshot_Bow

There's also another weapon called the Tearblaster which does tear damage but only at close range, I didn't end up using it but it's probably pretty good.

http://horizonzerodawn.wikia.com/wiki/Tearblaster

The War bow is the one that has shock, freeze and corruption arrows.
Ahhhh that makes sense now :) so if I get the the sharpshot bow (the carja one for now) then I can just craft the ammo for it from the resources I collect? And I'm guessing I can use the tear arrows if I'm up against a heavily armoured beast or switch it for other ammo as required with the tinker skill?
Is it pretty easy to switch out the mods?.
Thanks for ur help with this dude, I think I've been neglecting the right bow and arrow configuration, hence I'm struggling lol.

Offline Rattleduser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: March 16, 2017, 06:00:51 pm »
was gonna trade this in, but dlc is coming out

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: March 18, 2017, 12:36:46 am »
i found the sheild weaver armour underwhelming, oh a shiny effect on normal armour

nice stats though ;D
STFU and agree with me.

Online stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: March 18, 2017, 03:59:25 pm »
One thing that is pretty annoying is the ressource system. I've fully upgrade my pouch, but it's still too little. My problem is, that I don't know what ressources I might still need and what I can sell. I'm trying not to have too many stacks from one particular item, but then again I have no clue what I might need and what I should probably sell. The game does a horrible job in terms of telling you or making you aware (think about) what materials you need to craft certain ammo. On the one hand, it is convenient to just get out the weapon wheel and craft the ammo with one button press, but at the same time, it also makes you less aware of the stuff your using. I know that I need Blaze for fire-arrows, shards for regular ones, but that's about it. It is also awful that they have somehow made this connection between ressources and the things you can buy. I want a certain bow, but I need to get various animal-parts first to buy that. It's fucking annoying...