Author Topic: Qatar's True WC Legacy: news and reports on the human cost of sportswashing.  (Read 395203 times)

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Re: World Cup 2022 - Qatar
« Reply #200 on: October 3, 2013, 09:04:38 pm »
What a fucking disaster this is.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: October 4, 2013, 02:59:33 pm »
What a work of art  ::)

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #202 on: October 4, 2013, 03:03:43 pm »
Utter clusterfuck. No one saw this coming at all, nope.

Offline Dubit10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: October 4, 2013, 03:42:01 pm »
Have to say i'd welcome a world cup in the winter. Will make a change they need to change it up a bit. The last world cup was a shocker.
Robbie Fowler is God

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: October 4, 2013, 03:52:04 pm »
Have to say i'd welcome a world cup in the winter. Will make a change they need to change it up a bit. The last world cup was a shocker.

The last world cup was in winter (African winter)

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: November 9, 2013, 12:12:04 am »
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/sepp-blatter-qatar-world-cup-in-2022-could-be-shared-in-gulf-8930196.html

Qatar World Cup in 2022 could be shared in Gulf

Sepp Blatter has admitted he is open to the possibility of staging the 2022 World Cup in more than one Gulf nation after revealing several countries had offered to co-host the tournament with Qatar.

With a formal decision still to be made over whether it will be staged in the winter, Blatter also indicated that his preference is to start it in November or December rather than January or February.

Asked about the prospect of matches in the tournament being played elsewhere, he said: “I keep a big question mark on this. I have just passed through Iran and, even on a political level, people told me they would be happy to host some of the matches.

“So not even in the Gulf state but in the Middle East in general. The UAE would also be very eager but let’s go step by step. The first step is to see how it can be played in November-December and this shall be until the next World Cup: we have six, nine months to do so.”

Blatter’s comments came before he watched Nigeria beat Meixco in last night’s Under-17 World Cup final in Abu Dhabi and 24 hours before he travels to Doha to meet the Emir of Qatar to discuss the scandal over the alleged mistreatment of foreign workers building the infrastructure necessary for the country to host the World Cup.

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #206 on: November 9, 2013, 12:19:53 am »
What an utter disaster this is. FIFA need to realize they made the wrong choice in picking Qatar and change it immediately, regardless of any work done. Its simply not plausible and very unsafe.

Instead they are sending us and the players on a fucking merry go round with how they are going to change it to a Winter world cup. All this is very, very embarrassing for FIFA. Obviously had to under-the-table money involved for them to pick Qatar.   
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #207 on: November 9, 2013, 12:26:00 am »
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/sepp-blatter-qatar-world-cup-in-2022-could-be-shared-in-gulf-8930196.html

Qatar World Cup in 2022 could be shared in Gulf

Sepp Blatter has admitted he is open to the possibility of staging the 2022 World Cup in more than one Gulf nation after revealing several countries had offered to co-host the tournament with Qatar.

With a formal decision still to be made over whether it will be staged in the winter, Blatter also indicated that his preference is to start it in November or December rather than January or February.

Asked about the prospect of matches in the tournament being played elsewhere, he said: “I keep a big question mark on this. I have just passed through Iran and, even on a political level, people told me they would be happy to host some of the matches.

“So not even in the Gulf state but in the Middle East in general. The UAE would also be very eager but let’s go step by step. The first step is to see how it can be played in November-December and this shall be until the next World Cup: we have six, nine months to do so.”

Blatter’s comments came before he watched Nigeria beat Meixco in last night’s Under-17 World Cup final in Abu Dhabi and 24 hours before he travels to Doha to meet the Emir of Qatar to discuss the scandal over the alleged mistreatment of foreign workers building the infrastructure necessary for the country to host the World Cup.

Blatter hasn't a clue has he?  Chewed on one too many brown envelopes for even his own good.  It's vaguely amusing just to sit back and see what mess becomes of this disaster.  World cups in November ffs.  Share it around the gulf states.  Lol.  What planet do these jokers live on.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #208 on: November 9, 2013, 07:26:11 pm »
What was the point of bidding for this?

The bid is irrelevant.  The bid should basically have said, "look, give it to us, we've got loads of money".

The bidding process is a joke.

To be honest, his comments in Iran are laughable.  In some ways, it's a far better venue than Qatar, they have a population, they love and play football really well.
It's just that small problem of them being run by a load of ficking lunatics mr blatter, did you miss this?

How could the British of American fans go there?  I mean, people are used to having stuff lobed at them during footbal matches, but seldom by the authorities.

Bloody ridiculous.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: November 19, 2013, 12:06:22 am »
The 2022 World Cup Will Be Played Inside Of A Vagina  (you've got to see the pic! WORK SAFE PIC) :lmao

"Regardless of the weather outside, it will be comfortable inside of the (what I assume will be climate-controlled) Vagina Stadium they will play in. (To be sponsored by Vagisil, probably.) Sources say this would be the first major sporting event to be played inside of a vagina (besides the 1968 World Series, of course). Sources also say that 97% of prospective World Cup participants once hailed from a vagina and thus home-field advantage will be universal."

http://www.sportsgrid.com/soccer/2022-qatar-world-cup-stadium-looks-like-vagina-photos/
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: November 19, 2013, 12:10:37 am »

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: November 19, 2013, 12:29:20 am »

Players will be going down quicker and more often than usual there.

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: November 19, 2013, 12:32:45 am »
 haha ;D

Offline Sindri

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: November 19, 2013, 07:37:40 am »
This being held in Qatar surely the stadium will be covered up and no men not married to it will be allowed near it?

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #214 on: November 19, 2013, 09:43:31 am »
This being held in Qatar surely the stadium will be covered up and no men not married to it will be allowed near it?
Yes, that's an artist's concept before it's smothered in a huge black tarp.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: January 8, 2014, 11:15:12 am »
BBC:

World cup 2022 in Qatar not to be held in June-July says FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke.

"The dates for the World Cup (in Qatar) will not be June-July," Valcke, the second most powerful man in international footbal's governing body, told Radio France.

"To be honest, I think it will be held between November 15 and January 15 at the latest.

"If you play between November 15 and the end of December that's the time when the weather conditions are best, when you can play in temperatures equivalent to a warm spring season in Europe, averaging 25 degrees.

"That would be perfect for playing football."
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #216 on: January 8, 2014, 11:17:42 am »
African Cup of Nations is pushed back to directly after the World Cup then?

This is nuts.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Dubit10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: January 8, 2014, 11:21:14 am »
Only sensible option really. I suppose it's fair enough as FIFA have suited Europe by having a summer world cup for years now.
Robbie Fowler is God

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: January 8, 2014, 11:24:04 am »
Going to be chaos for the PL, the season will probably finish in November following year.

Offline RedInside

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: January 8, 2014, 11:26:46 am »
World cup final on christmas eve yeahh...

Every league in the world has to make adjustments now... Still ridiculous Qatar got it in the first place obviously.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #220 on: January 8, 2014, 11:29:43 am »
Winter Olympics
Africa cup of nations
League around the world

All the best FIFA.

Offline Kochevnik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: January 8, 2014, 11:34:03 am »
Going to be chaos for the PL, the season will probably finish in November following year.

I honestly think, not a word of hyperbole, that the PL should just ignore the World Cup if they do this.

Treat it like the ACoN, just keep scheduling matches at the same time.  It would take some serious bollocks, but I would love to see Blatter's folly here just completely exposed, and what better way to do it than by scheduling Liverpool - Man United at the same time as the World Cup opening ceremonies or something like that.  Risky, for sure, but I would be in favour of anything that demonstrated just how bad an idea it was to give the WC to Qatar.
Managers who have won fewer than three European Cups: Ferguson, Mourinho, Guardiola, Saachi, Hiddink, Hitzfeld, Clough, Happel, Trapattoni, Cruyff, Michels, Lobanovsky, Capello, and many more.
Managers who have won three or more European Cups: Bob Paisley

Herby

« Reply #222 on: January 8, 2014, 11:35:01 am »
Will this thread still be used in 2022?

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: January 8, 2014, 11:37:29 am »
the most annoying thing about all this is that most of the fellas who took bribes to give the world cup to qatar will be dead by 2022 as they're all old men. i'd like to see the fa and the spanish fa stand up to fifa and say this isn't happening. get the top few nations to form their own federation and the rest will follow. this whole thing is disastrous for club football. worst case scenario: we change the football season so the season ends before november every year
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline mactifosi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: January 8, 2014, 11:37:42 am »
Will this thread still be used in 2022?

We'll probably have to move it.

Offline Kochevnik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: January 8, 2014, 11:42:27 am »
Some aspiring journalist should really write an article exposing how this was obviously Blatter's intent from the beginning.

The lies were so transparent.  I can't even count the number of articles that were written when the subject of moving it to the winter was broached that basically said "No, that's not an option - we'll use this cooling system or whatever and it will be fine."  All just to justify a vote that obviously, from the beginning, was never based on how suitable Qatar was for hosting the WC.  There have got to be a treasure trove of quotes from top FIFA officials all about how a winter World Cup would never be considered during the time voting was going on, if someone would bother to look them all up.
Managers who have won fewer than three European Cups: Ferguson, Mourinho, Guardiola, Saachi, Hiddink, Hitzfeld, Clough, Happel, Trapattoni, Cruyff, Michels, Lobanovsky, Capello, and many more.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #226 on: January 8, 2014, 11:46:43 am »
A corrupt farce from beginning to end.

As the original proposal was to stage the WC in June and July 2022, FIFA should re-open the bidding process for 2022 for those dates.

But there's infinitely more chance in having the tournament staged on the moon than re-opening bidding.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #227 on: January 8, 2014, 11:48:01 am »
I honestly think, not a word of hyperbole, that the PL should just ignore the World Cup if they do this.

Treat it like the ACoN, just keep scheduling matches at the same time.  It would take some serious bollocks, but I would love to see Blatter's folly here just completely exposed, and what better way to do it than by scheduling Liverpool - Man United at the same time as the World Cup opening ceremonies or something like that.  Risky, for sure, but I would be in favour of anything that demonstrated just how bad an idea it was to give the WC to Qatar.

It's an interesting idea. I know it's a much smaller sport on a global scale but the Rugby World Cup takes place in the Autumn and the English League (and presumably Celtic League too) continues at the same time, obviously without all the internationals.

I can't see that happening for football. There would be too many complaints. The teams with the most international players would obviously be handicapped for the best part of 3 months (training camps before the WC, then then the tournament itself, then another month or so to recover in some cases). Clubs are too powerful to allow that to happen I think, even though it would throw up a more open than normal League season.

Not sure how this will play out at all. Are the European Leagues expected to start, and then just take a 6-8 week break? Will they not start until the WC finishes? It's a really well thought out plan from FIFA this. :D

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: January 8, 2014, 12:14:52 pm »
Regardless of when it finishes the dates of transfer windows will have to be shifted alongside the dates of the league itself. The same applies for any other league who alters its schedule. So if we get different countries coming up with their own different solutions to accommodate this WC you'll get transfer chaos across Europe in particular because it may be that not everybody's window is open at the same time.

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #229 on: January 8, 2014, 12:18:03 pm »
Its a farce (as anything related to football) but at least summer 2023 will be more entertaining with PL games :D
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline cox3100

• Would love to congratulate Siralex.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • justice for the 96
« Reply #230 on: January 8, 2014, 12:21:29 pm »
BBC:

World cup 2022 in Qatar not to be held in June-July says FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke.

"The dates for the World Cup (in Qatar) will not be June-July," Valcke, the second most powerful man in international footbal's governing body, told Radio France.

"To be honest, I think it will be held between November 15 and January 15 at the latest.

"If you play between November 15 and the end of December that's the time when the weather conditions are best, when you can play in temperatures equivalent to a warm spring season in Europe, averaging 25 degrees.

"That would be perfect for playing football."
which has now been denied by Jim Boyce(vice-president of FIFA)

at least if your gonna announce something make sure that the rest of FIFA know about it  :lmao

FIFA really are a farce

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: January 8, 2014, 12:24:21 pm »
There won't be a world cup in 2022. Its a joke and many nations probably won't even bother
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #232 on: January 8, 2014, 12:41:31 pm »
Only sensible option really. I suppose it's fair enough as FIFA have suited Europe by having a summer world cup for years now.

The thing is, this would have been a reasonable argument in my view. But it should have been brought up before actually giving the WC to Qatar. Why not just say "Look folks, we want to try something new and would consider moving the WC to the end of the year when it's summer in other parts of the world. For the time being, it will be a one off, but it might happen more frequently, if it works out." I'm sure there could have been found a solution for this. Yes, the Premier League-schedule would probably have been a huge problem with the lack of a winter-break and the traditional games during the holidays. However, I think something could have been worked out.

I'm not saying that Qatar was the right choice or that Fifa are squeaky clean. I'm just saying that having the WC at a different time of the year could have actually been worth a try. Not in the way it seems to be done now though...

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: January 8, 2014, 12:54:02 pm »
As someone on another forum just summed up for, there's no way this was ever going to be a summer World Cup and FIFA knew it. But if it had been sold as a winter one, it wouldn't have got the support. They likely lied, made up some bullshit about air conditioned stadiums and took the money. Bunch of corrupt fucking wankers.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: January 8, 2014, 01:09:13 pm »
I'm not saying that Qatar was the right choice or that Fifa are squeaky clean. I'm just saying that having the WC at a different time of the year could have actually been worth a try. Not in the way it seems to be done now though...

Why should there be a need to try something so radical when it more or less works in its traditional summer scheduling and has done so throughout the history of the competition, the only reason it needs to be in the winter this time is because Fifa took massive fucking bribes to award it to a country with a tiny population just because they are stupidly rich.

Since the winning bid was based on a summer world cup then if they want to move it, the initial bidding process should be invalidated and new bids should be submitted and then countries could bid on a level footing with those going for a summer bid competing against one that has to justify why their bid is so much better that it merits fucking over the global football schedule for at least 2 years.

Offline Kochevnik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: January 8, 2014, 01:29:40 pm »
It's an interesting idea. I know it's a much smaller sport on a global scale but the Rugby World Cup takes place in the Autumn and the English League (and presumably Celtic League too) continues at the same time, obviously without all the internationals.

I can't see that happening for football. There would be too many complaints. The teams with the most international players would obviously be handicapped for the best part of 3 months (training camps before the WC, then then the tournament itself, then another month or so to recover in some cases). Clubs are too powerful to allow that to happen I think, even though it would throw up a more open than normal League season.

Not sure how this will play out at all. Are the European Leagues expected to start, and then just take a 6-8 week break? Will they not start until the WC finishes? It's a really well thought out plan from FIFA this. :D

There are lots of hurdles that would have to be overcome, no doubt.  The issue of teams being without players for up to 2 months in the middle of the season would no doubt be the biggest (though I would love to see England just boycott the whole thing altogether, though it would never happen it would be a brilliant way of sticking it right in Blatter's eye).

Really what I'd like to see happen is for the FA to just come out with an announcement that they wouldn't pause the season if the WC were held in the winter.  If they got together with La Liga and maybe a few other leagues to make their announcements at the same time, and if it were done very early (as in this year sometime) it would surely make FIFA rethink a winter World Cup.

In other words, use the threat of the leagues continuing to prevent the move from happening.  If the bluff were called and they continued on course to change the dates, there's plenty of time to negotiate, but it would be a very strong move from the leagues if they did it.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #236 on: January 8, 2014, 01:34:14 pm »
FIFA in not thinking things through shocker.

Offline E2K

• A seriously talented
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: January 8, 2014, 01:59:34 pm »
This kind of shit has been happening for years unfortunately, the award of the 2022 World Cup to Qatar is just (arguably) the most high-profile, and therefore brazen, example. Read David Yallop’s compelling 1999 book ‘How They Stole the Game’ for proof, particularly the part detailing how and why the 1986 World Cup was switched to Mexico from Colombia (I was always under the impression that it was because of an earthquake, turns out there may have been a lot more to it than that), or the bit about every Argentine journalist getting up and walking out of a press conference during that same World Cup after President Havelange invited along one of the Generals who had ruled so brutally in their country, yet who had nonetheless been allowed to retain the mandate to host the 1978 competition despite widespread human rights concerns internationally. FIFA stays out of politics, though. Damn right they do, especially when it suits them to see no evil and hear none either. They own the World Cup, a fact that they’re happy to rub our noses in every chance they get, and the reality is that they can do whatever they want with it and for whatever reason.

The Mexico ’86 example above is, however, proof that they can move tournaments if they want to, which begs the question why they’re forcing the lunacy of rearranging the football calendar to suit their choice. They’ll do it simply because they can. No offence to the country itself, but the choice of Qatar stinks, in fact it’s almost like Blatter and a few of his cronies were sitting around one night, maybe smoking cigars, playing poker and drinking whiskey, trying to think up of just how far they could push the envelope and how much they could get away with, Blatter perhaps reminiscing fondly about his idea to make the goals bigger or make female players wear skirts or move to quarters instead of halves and bitterly bemoaning how awesome it all would have been, when one of them came up with the idea of awarding the World Cup to a country with dangerous heat during the summer months and virtually no stadiums. It’s almost as if they were trying to troll the world and, if you think about it, they kind of are. There is simply no logical, good reason for Qatar to be awarded this competition ahead of bids from Japan, South Korea and the United States (who have all successfully hosted the competition in the past) and Australia (which would appear to have the perfect infrastructure for it), certainly not the typically empty rhetoric of spreading the game’s reach worldwide (Ireland has never hosted a World Cup but I’m pretty certain of the game’s popularity here).

The only solution is to hurt them in the only way they understand, their pocket, and in my view, the only way to do that is for the footballers themselves to say ‘enough’. FIFA know that they’ll always get huge numbers of viewers worldwide, that will never change, but the product they sell to their sponsors can and that’s defined by the players. It may not be Messi and Ronaldo in 2022, but you can be sure that there will be a new generation of larger-than-life superstars (not mere footballers, you understand) created by the advertisers and marketing men by then, and these are what the ‘FIFA Family’ really cares about. It’s simply unrealistic to expect the entire world to turn off en masse because the competition is being held in a particular place, but all it would take is for a few high profile players to say no and stay at home to sour the milk a little bit (just a little bit) for sponsors and maybe give FIFA a reason to change, because once those profits (which seem to have been breaking records every four years for as long as I can remember) go down, then that’s the only time we might see a corrective reaction. The truth is that, right now, they’ve got no reason to change, so they won’t. Sadly, the scenario outlined above is unlikely to happen because it’s a hell of an ask to expect players to give up what could be their only chance to play in a World Cup, along with the associated earnings boost that its profile can give them whether through a lucrative transfer or sponsorships, not to mention potentially standing alone, no doubt facing criticism from their own supporters for not going and with every likelihood that their stand will have no effect anyway. And so the story will continue into the future, and who, genuinely, can say where we’ll end up before they're finished?
Twitter: @e2klassic
Blog: theredstar.home.blog

Offline Durlmints

• Kicks Ass. Categorically denies being the now infamous antihero 'Chris from Wavertree'. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. Who knows? Henry the Mild Mannered Janitor? COULD BEEEE!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mané & Salah, your defence is terrified!
« Reply #238 on: January 8, 2014, 02:11:08 pm »
I actually hope that it is in the Winter.

It would be so so chaotic for the whole of world football and I think that the chaos will be fantastic to watch.
Crows attacked a pensioner in Hamburg after she mimicked a crow's call.
You claim a Wagon Wheel is a biscuit and you have the audacity to stick a Kit Kat in goal? You sir are a du

Offline Acaustiq

• Statistically the biggest dick waver and has quotes to prove it. Bitter revisionist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Finally, Danone Actimel cured him.
« Reply #239 on: January 8, 2014, 02:39:14 pm »

Corruption in an in unregulated industry? CONSPIRACY THEORIST, TINFOIL HAT MERCHANT, I'LL SEND YOU TO THE SALT MINES.
When your Mum used to pick you up from school and you'd run out and be like 'Mummy I got 9/10 in the spelling test today', would she go 'phenomenal, son'.

Cos if she did she's a stupid fuck.