Author Topic: Marvel Musings. Now with Spidey Spoilers.  (Read 631861 times)

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Marvel Musings. Now with Spidey Spoilers.
« Reply #7560 on: September 29, 2022, 04:44:58 pm »
I have mixed feelings too because I'd like to see more of Josh Brolin's Cable.

It's a bit of a strange move for Marvel/Disney - they had their chance to give Wolverine a fresh start and get another 10+ years out of the character but now that they pulled Jackman back in, if/when they do recast it will make the comparisons stronger again. Bit short-sighted although admittedly they will probably never find anyone better than Jackman.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #7561 on: September 29, 2022, 04:59:43 pm »
Will it just be a cameo or something completely meta like him playing himself? Still assume they'll recast when they bring the X-Men into the MCU proper?

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #7562 on: September 29, 2022, 05:10:57 pm »
Will it just be a cameo or something completely meta like him playing himself? Still assume they'll recast when they bring the X-Men into the MCU proper?
Dunno mate I've not seen the script.

Offline redwillow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7563 on: October 3, 2022, 12:06:36 pm »
She Hulk is awful, i really like Jen / She Hulk but everything else is getting worse episode by episode. I honestly don't know what is going on anymore, just wasted an episode looking at her phone.

It looked like it had potential when
Spoiler
Hulk flies off in the space ship and the Abomination is her first client - it would have been a great way to introduce or bring back characters each week but its just turned into an awful 'lets get Jen laid' show
[close]

all of the talk about addressing issues in the real world, is making a series about a strong, independent female lawyer chasing d*ck and getting rejected not a bit.. ironic?

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7564 on: October 3, 2022, 02:19:18 pm »
All caught up with She Hulk and yeah it is pretty crap.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7565 on: October 3, 2022, 03:21:26 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/9vFWnbocU7E" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/9vFWnbocU7E</a>

Good looking film. And definitely a female Black Panther... Shuri?

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7566 on: October 3, 2022, 03:34:19 pm »
It's looking like Shuri, unless the trailer was a bit of a bait and switch. It feels like a bad choice, not least because of her vaccine views, but it seems people are into the idea of her as a successor.

The trailer in general looks really good. I'm not a comics reader but presumably that was Ironheart we saw in the mech suit?

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #7567 on: October 3, 2022, 03:34:50 pm »
Lobo baiting another poster he doesn't get on with in a random thread?  That's new.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7568 on: October 3, 2022, 04:14:56 pm »
Letitia Wright is also front and centre of the poster which suggests she'll take up the Black Panther mantle. Feels like the logical choice 'in-story', main reason most don't want it is the views of the actress.

Namor looks decent.

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7569 on: October 3, 2022, 04:42:18 pm »
Unless i am mistaken in what you said but Killmonger screamed out anything but democratic.

What I meant was that Killmonger exposed what a flawed system they had, so I would expect some changes to how they select a leader and protector going forward. It's possible they have but then I don't see how Shuri becomes Black Panther without resorting to some heir/bloodline reasoning.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7570 on: October 3, 2022, 05:51:35 pm »
Such a tragedy Chadwick Boseman died as he was great in the role.

Offline redwillow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7571 on: October 3, 2022, 07:21:07 pm »
I’m not sure that’s true. They’ve presented her in every movie so far as a geeky, awkward ‘Q’. It doesn’t really ring true that she’s suddenly this badass masked superhero.

The chosen black panther gets enhanced abilities

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7572 on: October 3, 2022, 07:28:10 pm »
T'Challa was the Black Panther when his father was still the King, so you could conceivably have the next Black Panther not be the King/Queen/Ruler. I'd rather like to know who was running things after the snap seeing how both T'Challa and Shuri were dusted.

Booked my ticket for opening day as well.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline NightDancer

• Anny Roader
  • Bleep Bloop Bleep Bloop
« Reply #7573 on: October 4, 2022, 08:50:13 am »
The chosen black panther gets enhanced abilities

But is also a highly trained warrior without those abilities.

At no point in the original film or in any of the Avenger films she popped up in has Shuri  been portrayed as such a warrior.

She relies on gadgets to fight from range for the most part. She has never been presented as a talented hand to hand fighter, with or without the enhamced side of things as T'Challa was or how characters like Carol Danvers, Nakia and Okoye have been shown to be highly trained combatants.

Shuri has been shown to be, as El Lobo said, to be the Q type character in Wakanda. Their Tony Stark almost when it comes to intellect and tech.
Maybe it will be a thing that she creates a Black Panther outfit that is closer to an Iron Man suit than the Black anther ones we have seen so far and the Black Panther armour then does the fighting for her (maybe it is programmed to be able to fight like T'Challa or something) but then Black Panther just becomes the suit and rehashes Tony Stark.
What's your pleasure?

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #7574 on: October 4, 2022, 03:51:51 pm »
Lupita Nyong'o is who i'd want as Black Panther if i were Marvel.

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7575 on: October 4, 2022, 04:02:59 pm »

Yeah I suggested the same above, though it got deleted for no reason I can fathom.

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7576 on: October 4, 2022, 09:04:08 pm »
If it is her, totally the wrong call imo as reasons explained above and seemingly rewarding her idiotic social media posts

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7577 on: October 6, 2022, 07:46:04 pm »
Spoiler
Oh my god they’ve massacred my boy.
[close]

I think She-Hulk is the worst MCU show to date.
« Last Edit: October 6, 2022, 07:49:35 pm by AndyMuller »

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7578 on: October 6, 2022, 08:08:08 pm »
Intrigued to watch Werewolf by Night, which is out on Disney+ tomorrow.

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7579 on: October 6, 2022, 09:48:32 pm »
Spoiler
Oh my god they’ve massacred my boy.
[close]

I think She-Hulk is the worst MCU show to date.

Yeah, looks like they're not satisfied with keeping their destruction contained to one show.

Spoiler
I was worried before what a Disney Daredevil season might look like and I'm really worried now.
[close]

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7580 on: October 6, 2022, 10:24:31 pm »
Spoiler
Thought the Daredevil stuff was fine? He’s appearing in what’s an incredibly light show, of course he’s not going to be the brooding conflicted character he was on the Netflix show. Still felt like the same person to me, just a version of Matt who’s in a good place in his life which was their apparent aim.

His own show will clearly not be lighthearted like that. But there will have been plenty of comic runs with Daredevil as a light character, in the same way you get serious versions of Batman and more comical ones. All are valid. [\spoiler]
[close]

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7581 on: October 6, 2022, 11:00:48 pm »
Spoiler
Thought the Daredevil stuff was fine? He’s appearing in what’s an incredibly light show, of course he’s not going to be the brooding conflicted character he was on the Netflix show. Still felt like the same person to me, just a version of Matt who’s in a good place in his life which was their apparent aim.

His own show will clearly not be lighthearted like that. But there will have been plenty of comic runs with Daredevil as a light character, in the same way you get serious versions of Batman and more comical ones. All are valid. [\spoiler]
[close]
Spoiler
I see what your saying but the man was quipping like he was Spider-Man and his new suit is horrendous. I don’t think the Disney show will be anywhere near as dark or even as good as the Netflix one.
[close]

Offline demain

• Shambolic
  • Kopite
  • 'à quoi bon ?'
« Reply #7582 on: October 7, 2022, 06:39:59 am »
Spoiler
I see what your saying but the man was quipping like he was Spider-Man and his new suit is horrendous. I don’t think the Disney show will be anywhere near as dark or even as good as the Netflix one.
[close]

Spoiler
I didn't necessarily think the quips were out of character, even in the netflix iteration he used to joke around fairly effortlessly when he was with Foggy, Karen Page or Jessica Jones.

The only thing that bothered me slightly was the god awful walk of shame (in costume especially) as it was tonally jarring with how the character had been portrayed previously. But even that can be somewhat excused given the show is essentially a formulaic harmless sitcom.
[close]
'Ever bought a fake picture, Toby?'
'Sold a couple once.'
'The more you pay for it, the less inclined you are to doubt its authenticity.'

Offline ianburns252

• RAWK Economist not the MP spelling and Crosby background differentiate
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gentleman in the streets; freak in the spreadsheet
« Reply #7583 on: October 7, 2022, 08:20:19 am »
I think a lot of the tonal issues can be attributed to the 4th wall breaking nature of the show and how Jen is essentially the narrator/POV character so things like
Spoiler
the walk of shame, quippiness etc
[close]
can be written off to how Jen remembers/chooses to tell it etc

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7584 on: October 7, 2022, 08:23:43 am »
Spoiler
Agreed on the walk of shame, but otherwise his appearance had me excited for his own show. Although I agree that I don’t think it’ll be near as good as the Netflix one.

Have to say, the bit where the theme music came in from the Netflix show had me very excited. [\spoiler]
[close]

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7585 on: October 7, 2022, 09:44:36 am »

I would say Lupita or Danai Gurira.

When I watched the original Black Panther I never would have thought of Shuri as a future Black Panther: while she was a good part of the movie she was always to me the Q, the support, not entirely adept at fighting.

On the flip side, Nakia and Okoye where both warriors and strong protectors for Wakanda, even without the suit and the powers of the Black Panther - people who were so strong they could keep up with a literal super hero in fights. It doesn't make sense to me that one of then wouldn't become the protector of Wakanda, but the scientist sister who needs saving could be.

Also I think as pointed out earlier, the fact that Wakanda, the strongest most advanced country in the world, still has a tribal Monarchy system which was decided by a fight, and is now decided by hereditary lines now, seems a bit backwards. I could see possibly for the role of Black Panther decided by combat but why also King/Queen?

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #7586 on: October 7, 2022, 10:20:07 am »
I said to the missus that She-Hulk feels like one of the TV shows where we're watching it waiting for something big to happen....and it never does.

So

Spoiler
Was good to see Daredevil in it. And he was pretty cool. Lets be real, the whole MCU is 'softer' than the Netflix series, so it stands to reason his character is going to have to be watered down a touch if he's to be a regular character in it. Its just...not great though. As someone said, it does feel like its essentially been eight episodes of her trying to get some dick and now the 'big bad' of the series is...slut shaming her. I'm still sort of hoping it ends up being Blonsky and he keeps a role in the MCU cos Tim Roth is great
[close]

I would say Lupita or Danai Gurira.

When I watched the original Black Panther I never would have thought of Shuri as a future Black Panther: while she was a good part of the movie she was always to me the Q, the support, not entirely adept at fighting.

On the flip side, Nakia and Okoye where both warriors and strong protectors for Wakanda, even without the suit and the powers of the Black Panther - people who were so strong they could keep up with a literal super hero in fights. It doesn't make sense to me that one of then wouldn't become the protector of Wakanda, but the scientist sister who needs saving could be.

Also I think as pointed out earlier, the fact that Wakanda, the strongest most advanced country in the world, still has a tribal Monarchy system which was decided by a fight, and is now decided by hereditary lines now, seems a bit backwards. I could see possibly for the role of Black Panther decided by combat but why also King/Queen?

Its tricky because it feels a little like they think people don't want her to be Black Panther because she's a woman....and so are going to push ahead with it regardless. Whereas I think people don't want her to be Black Panther because she just doesn't work as Black Panther. I still hold a faint hope that the movie is about her struggles with it and it ends up going back to Michael B Jordan, but again extremely doubtful because I dont think Disney would like the optics of a woman taking over a 'mans job' and not being able to do it so giving it back to another man.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7587 on: October 7, 2022, 11:44:41 am »
All caught up with She Hulk and yeah it is pretty crap.
The adverts for it were pretty shit. Glad I never watched it.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #7588 on: October 7, 2022, 12:26:47 pm »
Trying to save the series Boba Fett style I see.

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7589 on: October 7, 2022, 12:34:57 pm »

Its tricky because it feels a little like they think people don't want her to be Black Panther because she's a woman....and so are going to push ahead with it regardless. Whereas I think people don't want her to be Black Panther because she just doesn't work as Black Panther. I still hold a faint hope that the movie is about her struggles with it and it ends up going back to Michael B Jordan, but again extremely doubtful because I dont think Disney would like the optics of a woman taking over a 'mans job' and not being able to do it so giving it back to another man.

I agree, I feel Michael B Jordan is the best option to be Black Panther, but if Disney want to go with a woman that's cool too. But there are much better options available, both in terms of characters in the film and also in terms of actresses.

Of all the options available, I feel Letitia Wright is like the 5th or 6th best one available but will likely be the future Black Panther

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7590 on: October 7, 2022, 01:38:12 pm »
Spoiler
Agreed on the walk of shame, but otherwise his appearance had me excited for his own show. Although I agree that I don’t think it’ll be near as good as the Netflix one.

Have to say, the bit where the theme music came in from the Netflix show had me very excited. [\spoiler]
[close]
Spoiler
In the comic books (especially the earlier ones), Daredevil is a fun character, and is probably the biggest "man-slut" in Marvel comics.  Just because the netflix show was needlessly too dark because of some more recent DD comics, doesn't mean that him enjoying his time, and walking away happy means that it is "off character" for him.  Equally, he actually seemed to be a competent lawyer, in this - more so than in the netflix show for the majority of it
[close]

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7591 on: October 7, 2022, 02:53:02 pm »
Spoiler
In the comic books (especially the earlier ones), Daredevil is a fun character, and is probably the biggest "man-slut" in Marvel comics.  Just because the netflix show was needlessly too dark because of some more recent DD comics, doesn't mean that him enjoying his time, and walking away happy means that it is "off character" for him.  Equally, he actually seemed to be a competent lawyer, in this - more so than in the netflix show for the majority of it
[close]

Spoiler
Yeah, not a biggie for me. It's a throwaway joke, just threw me a bit as the character wouldn't walk down the street in costume. No issue with him hooking up with Jennifer or being happy. He hooked up with plenty of people in the Netflix show!

In fairness, I think the Netflix show was too serious at points. In fact, can say the same of most of the 'Defenders' shows. Moments of levity in there for sure, but most of them enjoyed wallowing in misery. Hoping the new show can find a way to straddle the line, but I think it'll be hard to recapture what made the Netflix show so good. Should be more comic accurate though, was notable in She-Hulk how much more acrobatic Daredevil was. They did the same with Kingpin in Hawkeye, way more powerful than he was in the Netflix run while still being the same character.

The way I see it, I'd rather get more of Cox as Daredevil and D'Onofrio as Kingpin, even if it doesn't hit the heights of what came previously.
[close]

Offline ianburns252

• RAWK Economist not the MP spelling and Crosby background differentiate
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gentleman in the streets; freak in the spreadsheet
« Reply #7592 on: October 7, 2022, 05:41:02 pm »
Spoiler
Yeah, not a biggie for me. It's a throwaway joke, just threw me a bit as the character wouldn't walk down the street in costume. No issue with him hooking up with Jennifer or being happy. He hooked up with plenty of people in the Netflix show!

In fairness, I think the Netflix show was too serious at points. In fact, can say the same of most of the 'Defenders' shows. Moments of levity in there for sure, but most of them enjoyed wallowing in misery. Hoping the new show can find a way to straddle the line, but I think it'll be hard to recapture what made the Netflix show so good. Should be more comic accurate though, was notable in She-Hulk how much more acrobatic Daredevil was. They did the same with Kingpin in Hawkeye, way more powerful than he was in the Netflix run while still being the same character.

The way I see it, I'd rather get more of Cox as Daredevil and D'Onofrio as Kingpin, even if it doesn't hit the heights of what came previously.
[close]
Spoiler
I agree that in Hell's Kitchen he wouldn't do so but it is established here than nobody knows who the hell he is - he is a proper low level vigilante effectively - and with the law firm have a division for powered people maybe it just isn't a big deal in this city?
[close]

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7593 on: October 7, 2022, 08:50:42 pm »
Werewolf by Night is great!

Offline markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7594 on: October 8, 2022, 11:01:10 am »
Shuri as Black panther is perfect, you might say in some ways even better than T'Challa, although that is a high bar

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #7595 on: October 8, 2022, 11:19:53 am »
Must try harder
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7596 on: October 8, 2022, 11:58:26 am »
I might have this wrong but didn’t Shuri become Black Panther in the comics?

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #7597 on: October 8, 2022, 01:22:20 pm »
Still think it's a misdirect
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline NightDancer

• Anny Roader
  • Bleep Bloop Bleep Bloop
« Reply #7598 on: October 8, 2022, 02:17:55 pm »
I might have this wrong but didn’t Shuri become Black Panther in the comics?

She was a highly skilled fighter with powers in the comics as well as being a tech genious.
What's your pleasure?

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #7599 on: October 8, 2022, 03:26:24 pm »
Still think it's a misdirect

That's my instinct too. After Disney point blank fired Gina Carano (who was popular in The Mandalorian - arguably more so than Shuri was in Black Panther) for her controversial social media posts and political views, I'd be amazed if they then went and put a climate change denier/Covid denier/peddler of misinformation front and centre of one of their biggest movies.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.