Author Topic: Little big planet 2  (Read 9035 times)

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
Little big planet 2
« on: May 13, 2010, 08:48:13 pm »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gallery/2010/may/11/games-playstation?picture=362496926

for pictures

Sandbox game creator, LittleBigPlanet 2, will be released in 2010 for the PlayStation 3, Sony announced.
Unlikely hero SackBoy returns in the title which lets gamers design and share their own creations - already, over two million user-created levels have been uploaded to the PlayStation Network.
And the sequel to the multi-million selling game allows even greater creativity in the editing suite, according to its developers.
Gamers can create a variety of challenges for SackBoy, from racing games, shooters, platform challenges... even cookery simulators.
New characters, machines, vehicles and puzzles can all be created from scratch and - if you're feeling particularly inspired - the game engine even allows the creation of cinematic cut-scenes for better story-telling.
The game will be released later this year with backwards compatibility for all existing LittleBigPlanet content.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
Re: Little big planet 2
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 09:16:57 pm »
There is a trailer out, too.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline N-Red

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 10:31:42 pm »
Looking really good this, heres my post about it from ps3 thread if people want to know more:

Littlebigplanet 2 announced if anyones interested.

Trailer: http://www.littlebigplanet.com/en-gb/2/

New features:

- LBP 2 has less of a focus on platforming altogether and it's more of a platform to actually create games with
- There is an all-new level creator and it is not just a tool to create platform games.
- As examples, the game 100% encourages the player to create game types and wants you to make a shooter, a racer, puzzle games, Space Invaders clones, even RPGs
- A player can even customize a HUD. The example given is a health bar for a fighting game.
- A Media Molecule developer has created a fully-functioning Command & Conquer Clone
- Media Molecule loves that a lot of user-created levels in LBP1 were homages to classic games and laments that so many manipulations of the creation tools were necessary to do them. Sackboy won't need to be "hidden behind the curtain" when you make games with LBP2.
- There is a new super-important creator tool called "direct control seats"
- (from previous point) In LBP1, lots of people made rudimentary "hold R1 to accelerate" vehicles. Mark Healy created a car out of rubber wheels and a bottle, then placed a direct control seat in it. He pulled up an interface that resembled a PS3 controller and assigned commands to buttons.
- Example given was assigning Sixaxis tilt for forward and reverse, horn on the X button.
- You are no longer limited to the game's stock sound effects. You can record your own sounds and voices, attaching them to characters or objects. Magic Mouth from the original LBP is gone
- Direct control seat's control scheme is instantly accessible and you can attach it only to the part of the vehicle you want it to control.
- Example was given about the 8/16-bit remakes/tributes having to use the signature gameplay mechanics of LBP. That is no longer true in LBP2. A creator can place a direct control seat on their own platforming protagonist and complete it with a customized control scheme.
- Example of the previous was Yoshi's Island. If a player creates the perfect recreation of the SNES-era jump they can share it with anyone in the community.
- There is an in-game microchip that functions as a calculator and it is a direct response/homage to PSN user Upsilandre (seriously, he's mentioned by name)
- Enemies in the original title could only be programmed with super-basic commands and most resembled marionettes.
- Users will be able to take a template for an enemy called a Sackbot, tweak the AI and dress it in any way they choose.
- Creators can choose the weak points on the Sackbot, determine if it is scared of heights, and even program acting routines.
- A disco scene was set up by Media Molecule and two employees recorded together on a single Sackbot. They moved its arms and bobbed its head in a dancing routine. JUST the AI was copied and pasted onto twenty different Sackbots. Each Sackbot was given its own unique look.
- There are now movie editing options as well.
- Every LBP2 player will receive their own profile on LBP.me. It will display your activity feed as well as previews of their own stages
- There will be user-created integration in QR codes as well. They can be printed on advertisements, business cards, and automatically load a level when held up to the PlayStation Eye. There is no special menu to do this. Any time the PS3 is turned on and running LBP 2, you can wave it in front of the Eye.
- If you are not near your PS3 you can take a quick photo with your smartphone to see an online preview of the level and add it directly to your level queue.
- For creators of multiple levels, you will be able to string your stages together so that they flow from one level to the next.
- Sackbots can be drastically increased or decreased in physical size.
- Sackbots can be controlled by direct control seats as well.
- There is a new gadget (like the MGS paintball gun). It is a big-ass grappling hook.
- Media Molecule says explicitly there are multiple more gadgets coming.
- All DLC from LBP1 transfers over to LBP2. Including downloaded content packs, costumes, etc.
- There is a major overhaul to the story level as well. There's the same 3-plane perspective for the story mode and the levels so far have a similar run-jump-grab platform style.
- Storyline is not country-based like last time, but is based in periods of time
- Creators can make full-on cutscenes. Camera angles and voice-overs included. Creators can even make little five-minute short films. These levels are clearly marked on the stage select screen so you can tell whether you're watching or playing the level.

plus i read it will support mouse and keyboard.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 09:38:19 am by N-Red »

Offline TheoRacle

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC Supporter
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 12:20:47 am »
Looks cool. Theres some really creative people out there, so really looking forward to the user created stuff...

Offline Mikuss

• Dynamo Midfielder
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • PSN- Mikuss
« Reply #4 on: January 2, 2011, 07:29:14 pm »
Bump!

This game is coming out in a few weeks, and I can't wait. First game in a long while where I've anticipated it's arrival.
The demo is out on the store now for those that ain't got it, and here is a little bit written about it a while back witha trailer;

I’m pleased to share some exciting news involving our crafty, stitched-together character we all know and love – that’s right, I’m talking about the one and only Sackboy. Today, we are officially announcing that our cloth friend and all of his fellow Sack-people will be back for a completely new adventure in LittleBigPlanet 2, which will be released later this year for PS3!

LittleBigPlanet established the Play, Create, Share creative gaming genre and we can’t thank the fans and critics enough for the praise and support we’ve received. The game continues to grow and evolve, helped by countless players around the globe. In fact, the sharing nature of the game has become so embraced, it has attracted fans to publish more than two million levels to the PlayStation Network since the award-winning game was released!

To show you what you can expect from LittleBigPlanet 2, here’s an exclusive look at our spanking new trailer:

<a href="http://www.viddler.com/player/33f2cc9/" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.viddler.com/player/33f2cc9/</a>
So, what can you expect from LittleBigPlanet 2?

First of all, it’s developed by Media Molecule, the extremely talented team that brought you the first game, so you know you’re going to get a special experience. LittleBigPlanet 2 will provide a whole new collection of tools and rules for fans to Play, Create, and Share, including an evolved approach to control and customization that has never been seen before.

LittleBigPlanet has always empowered users to create their own levels by utilizing the same tools as the development team. Now in LittleBigPlanet 2, we’ve upped the ante, giving players the ability to not only make better levels, but completely new games – think top-down racing games, multiplayer shooters, flying side-scrollers, RPGs, etc. The possibilities are really endless.

LBP2 will also have a loads of new features, including revamped graphics, a fresh storyline, added accessories and equipment for Sackboy, and much, much more – trust me I’m only scratching the surface here!

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 03:12:13 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/5YnrAWGOgFw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/5YnrAWGOgFw</a>
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 03:13:53 pm »
I haven't played LBP1 and have no idea what it actually is or what you do. Is it a game or is it a platform game creator? Can someone try and sell it to me in a paragraph or two?

Offline Mikuss

• Dynamo Midfielder
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • PSN- Mikuss
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 03:17:54 pm »
I haven't played LBP1 and have no idea what it actually is or what you do. Is it a game or is it a platform game creator? Can someone try and sell it to me in a paragraph or two?
Its a platform game with a story mode, but the real beauty about it is you can create your own platform levels and upload them online for others to play. Hours and hours of fun with plenty of things to do. Creating levels can be a bit tricky at times but it's worth it even if you just play other peoples.

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 03:19:33 pm »

Basically, if you want to pick up and play, there are levels made by the developer in the game. They are fun, with a good difficulty curve and enjoyable.

The main aim is to get the end and collect the collectables. This is where the game then changes.

With the collectables, which are basically all the items in the levels the developers have made, you can make your own levels, or play ones created by friends, or random people.

You never have to touch the creation system if you dont want to, you can just play the developer ones then the best ones online.

The creating the level is quite interesting, though takes time, effort and patience. There are some fantastic levels created by others that are fun to play.

It is certainly worth picking up the old one as is cheap now, but i reckon you may as well go for the new one as im sure there is enough in it for anyone.

Also, as you see from the vid smd posted, the possibilties are only limited by your imagination or the imagination of others, within reason
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 03:23:29 pm by Something Else »

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 03:33:41 pm »
The pick up 'n' play sounds good, but the level creation etc. looks very involved. Would you recommend it for someone who is finding less time to actually play games these days?

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 03:43:49 pm »
The pick up 'n' play sounds good, but the level creation etc. looks very involved. Would you recommend it for someone who is finding less time to actually play games these days?

Im in the same boat, i wont be getting this just yet as I am still playing through 1.

The story will be worth it but i cant see you creating levels, as i dont bother

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, 03:52:23 pm »

There are millions of levels created by other people online :wave
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline AdY

• Anny Roader
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2011, 04:11:56 pm »
wow, that history of videogames trailer is brilliant! why are there so many gamessssssss, I bought arkham asylum, castlevania and demon souls about a month or so ago and still havent finished arkham asylum!

Offline Mikuss

• Dynamo Midfielder
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • PSN- Mikuss
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 02:27:48 pm »
So who is playing this then? Bought it on release day and played every day since. I'm amazed at some of the creations on it, some people must have a lot of times on their hands. Looking to create a level myself but don't have the knowledge about most of the tools yet so will have to goof around for a bit.

Offline cissepower

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2011, 02:37:01 pm »
That video game history trailer was amazing!
~~Justice For The 96, You'll Never Walk Alone~~

Offline stescouse100

• Anny Roader
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2011, 03:14:20 pm »
So who is playing this then? Bought it on release day and played every day since. I'm amazed at some of the creations on it, some people must have a lot of times on their hands. Looking to create a level myself but don't have the knowledge about most of the tools yet so will have to goof around for a bit.

Picked LBP2 up the other day, not had too much time on it thus far. Completed a few of the "Alliance" trial levels, but thats it. Loved the first one, thought it really brokered new ground in terms of video games and online play. So I'm sure the second will be even better, all hail Sackboy!    8)

Offline Mikuss

• Dynamo Midfielder
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • PSN- Mikuss
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2011, 03:16:04 pm »
Picked LBP2 up the other day, not had too much time on it thus far. Completed a few of the "Alliance" trial levels, but thats it. Loved the first one, thought it really brokered new ground in terms of video games and online play. So I'm sure the second will be even better, all hail Sackboy!    8)
It is, when you get to know all the new things they've introduced to the game you can see the endless possibilites. Some of the remakes of old games are a joy to behold. For me this is the greatest idea for a game in many, many years.

Offline stescouse100

• Anny Roader
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2011, 03:22:05 pm »
Good to hear that mate, got the day off work today so planning abit of a LBP session after.  ;)

Really do think people overlook the game sometimes, due to its somewhat "Cartoony" appearance. And just brush it off as a title for young kids, when you play the game though you really discover that is most definitely not the case.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2011, 03:39:14 pm »
some great ideas but i thought the story mode was a bit too short, managed to complete it in a few hours but still need to go back to try and get 100%, at least i reckon i'll be able to ace the final boss on this one

really need to try and come up with some ideas for levels but feeling a bit overwhelmed with some of the tools and options, might just try to make a simple platformer first

Offline Mikuss

• Dynamo Midfielder
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • PSN- Mikuss
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2011, 03:44:26 pm »
some great ideas but i thought the story mode was a bit too short, managed to complete it in a few hours but still need to go back to try and get 100%, at least i reckon i'll be able to ace the final boss on this one

really need to try and come up with some ideas for levels but feeling a bit overwhelmed with some of the tools and options, might just try to make a simple platformer first
Yeah, felt it was short too, but some of the levels are tricky to get 100% from my experience so far. Just trying to ace the Larry Da Vinci bit by myself but there are a few 2 player bits on there

Offline djphal

• Is Angry. But merked Daniel Sturridge. High Protector of Gavin's Almighty Midweek Erections.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2011, 03:48:13 pm »
My old levels are still on there!!

Does my head in that I have to do all tutorials before I can build another though

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2011, 03:51:33 pm »
Probably gonna stick this on later tonight - is it possible to make your own game using this 'game'? i.e. Let's say I had an idea for a multiplayer small game within a world and had a character with special abilities; how does all this work?

I'm reading some stuff on google now like, just wondered if anyone could just answer it though from experience?

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2011, 03:54:06 pm »
My old levels are still on there!!

Does my head in that I have to do all tutorials before I can build another though

go into the tutorials menu and scroll right down to the bottom, you can unlock all the tools without watching the videos

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2011, 04:01:31 pm »
Would be nice to get a Heart group going, from memory you need so many hearted levels to get the plat in original.

I am missing one bloody trophy - the "complete a level with 4 players".  Dammit.

So lets get to gether and get our levels hearted and the 2/3/4 player stickers found.

Offline Mikuss

• Dynamo Midfielder
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • PSN- Mikuss
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2011, 04:19:13 pm »
Would be nice to get a Heart group going, from memory you need so many hearted levels to get the plat in original.

I am missing one bloody trophy - the "complete a level with 4 players".  Dammit.

So lets get to gether and get our levels hearted and the 2/3/4 player stickers found.
I'll be happy too

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2011, 04:53:47 pm »
Probably gonna stick this on later tonight - is it possible to make your own game using this 'game'? i.e. Let's say I had an idea for a multiplayer small game within a world and had a character with special abilities; how does all this work?

I'm reading some stuff on google now like, just wondered if anyone could just answer it though from experience?

might be possible, depends on what sort of abilities you want

you need to use sackbots & the controlinator but at the moment i'm not 100% sure how to make it all work, what you can do easily is place a block with a controlinator on it and set it to remote and transmit, then place a sackbot and set it's microchip to view and place a controlinator on it set to remote and recieve, make sure both controlinators use the same colour, the thing i'm having problems with at the moment is the camera, you can put a movie camera on the sackbot's controlinator microchip and connect it to the output on the center on the controler diagram, you can control the sackbot and the camera follows it ok for a while in create mode but doesn't in play so i need to figure out what i'm doing wrong

you can place emmiters on the sackbot's microchip and connect them to buttons on the controller so it should be possible to make them fire projectiles etc

i'll play around with it a bit more and try to figure out how to get full control of the camera and control actions other than movement

edit: sorted the camera problem, use the advanced method here, there's issues though if the sackbot gets killed but someone has made a checkpoint system for them but i've not had chance to try it out but it should help you with what you want to do

i've also got an emitter on my sackbot's microchip connected to the circle button on the controlinator that fires electric bolts, set frequency to 0.0 and make sure the projectile doesn't touch the sackbot otherwise it'll kill it, anyway it's given me an idea to make a side scrolling shooter using the gravity tweaker as well
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 05:55:42 pm by FiSh77 »

Online jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2011, 05:00:07 pm »
Is it a 'new game' enought to warrant £35-45 outlay?

There's a bit of me that thinks that games developers/publishers would be much better going down the subscriptions route - or discounted upgrades (at least for the annual games).

Not enough of the games are completely revised and updated from year to year - particularly looking into things like football and F1 that I'm interested in.  Why not charge top price of £45 for the one-off purchases but, if you can provide your registration/receipt for the previous title, you get a discount for the new one...or even, before getting the first one, you can opt to spend £90 and pre-order the next three titles.

I've had four versions of Pro Evo on the PS3 and, though not a good game, can appreciate that the first one was a 'new game' - however, until this season, there was barely any change.  Those four games must have cost £140 but, aside from squad updates, little changed.

Similarly, I can't see any difference between the two virtua tennis titles...

The F1 game last year was a brand new game...first F1 title since 2006 and I was looking forward to ordering and receiving that.  It's a good game but was a bit buggy.  I don't know what Codemasters' record of sequels is like but judging by previous F1 titles (by other developers) they tend to evolve with small steps (and a standard teams/drivers/circuits) update.  I'll want the next one, at £40, because I'm a sucker for it.  And the next and the one that follows.  I'd happily pay in advance (or set up a payment plan) if loyalty was rewarded by discounts.  For every sucker like me going out and updating every year, there must be some hard-nosed buyer who thinks 'sod this minor update for £40'.

I've not played LBP2 and can't comment really (making this whole post a bit daft) but I don't see how much they could have improved on the original (aside from minor updates that could have been provided in DLC's).

Anyway...

Offline djphal

• Is Angry. But merked Daniel Sturridge. High Protector of Gavin's Almighty Midweek Erections.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2011, 05:43:33 pm »
go into the tutorials menu and scroll right down to the bottom, you can unlock all the tools without watching the videos

I'm sure I did that!!

I'll try again!

Offline Mikuss

• Dynamo Midfielder
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • PSN- Mikuss
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2011, 05:51:11 pm »

For me it's worthy of it's own new title, there is a lot of new features in this game. If you're a fan of LBP you'll love it no question.

Here is a list of all the new features and upgrades to the game;
http://www.lbpcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?28726-New-Tools-Features-and-Updates-in-LittleBigPlanet-2&p=497957#post497957

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #29 on: February 6, 2011, 03:51:17 pm »
Questions - why is the grapple so shit? I press left/right to swing and it makes the cord shorter/longer.

Also, I've just finished da vinci hideout. Can I just go and create my levels or do I have to unlock everything as I go through the game?

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: February 6, 2011, 03:52:17 pm »
Questions - why is the grapple so shit? I press left/right to swing and it makes the cord shorter/longer.

Also, I've just finished da vinci hideout. Can I just go and create my levels or do I have to unlock everything as I go through the game?

you can just create them, ive nearly finished my first level on lbp2, got a few on 1 that have been pulled through

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: February 6, 2011, 06:48:59 pm »

Up and down shorten and lengthen the grapple, it's difficult not to change that while going left and right. When you are bouncing on panels while trying to get higher up, the best thing to do is let go of the stick as soon as you bounce off the panel rather than try and guide sackboy.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: February 6, 2011, 07:18:39 pm »
Quality little game this, loved the first lbp and this just improves on it, some great levels made by the community too

Offline rotistgeil

• Unflabbable in the face of lesbian scenes in public park.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #33 on: February 9, 2011, 11:26:00 am »
Really enjoying this so far, still need to get online but having fun with the single player for now.

Offline Mikuss

• Dynamo Midfielder
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • PSN- Mikuss
« Reply #34 on: February 9, 2011, 12:27:11 pm »
Anybody got any levels to recommend?

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2011, 09:00:45 pm »
I think there's a Mario level knocking about, might be under MM picks not too sure

seen a video for it tho, looks great considering its user created

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2011, 09:14:54 pm »
On teh single player, there is a level

Spoiler
where you are righting a caterpillar virically up the screen. I am missing two prizes and cannot find them. I suspect they may be on the short part before you get on the caterpillar. Anybody found a couple that were particularly well hidden on that level?
[close]

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2011, 09:39:29 am »
On teh single player, there is a level

Spoiler
where you are righting a caterpillar virically up the screen. I am missing two prizes and cannot find them. I suspect they may be on the short part before you get on the caterpillar. Anybody found a couple that were particularly well hidden on that level?
[close]

Check the bubbles you have.  I've only played the first game but on that one they showed in order of how you collect them.  So if you had number 3 missing and number 23 missing you could be sure one was at the start and the other was nr the end.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2011, 05:00:17 pm »
Check the bubbles you have.  I've only played the first game but on that one they showed in order of how you collect them.  So if you had number 3 missing and number 23 missing you could be sure one was at the start and the other was nr the end.
they're random this time, unfortunately

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2011, 12:06:07 am »
Just played the first 5 mintues and I just have a big smile on my face.

Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/