Author Topic: RAWK Design circle / committee.  (Read 80718 times)

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
  • Super Title: Loves Ron Dennis
Re: RAWK Design circle / committee.
« Reply #200 on: July 3, 2007, 08:53:20 am »
I would love to answer myself Paul, but it will long winded and this hospial remote is a bastard to type with

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #201 on: July 3, 2007, 08:54:17 am »
I would love to answer myself Paul, but it will long winded and this hospial remote is a bastard to type with

Are you answering yourself now?  Are you answering your own questions? Can you hear voices in your head?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #202 on: July 3, 2007, 09:14:38 am »
Couple of quick questions

Why is this thread on the Technology and Science board? Wouldn't Media and Art be more appropriate?

And this one directed at nidgemo, but open to all....
How well defined is 'what looks good'. Things like all upper case, or all lower case. Bigger font, different font, more colour, less colour. Are most of these rules/guidelines ones you've 'taught' yourself during your career, or are they taught at graphic school? Do these rules change over time?  Sorry if this sounds like an accustory/slagging question, but it is borne on the back of genuine curiosity.

Bit of everything, but generally it's just an "eye" for this kind of thing. Of curse, not everyone will agree all the time, but, generally (in work at least) I'm able to look at something, say "it would look better if you done..." and have the designer come back to me half an hour later and say "you're right"

It's partially taught stuff (distances, alignments etc) as well, but there are certainly no "rules"...

The upper / lower case stuff depends on the job - uppercase will suit best for this (when harry tries the fonts I'm telling him) but another logo, uppercase wouldn't suit at all.

I said to harry not to use avant garde based solely on this job - but I could use it myself today for another one.

The rules, as they are, always stay the same in as much as how things should be aligned, relative sizes etc, but also are constantly changing all the time with trends / fashions / colours / and even differing technologies!
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: July 3, 2007, 09:22:29 am »

Looking a lot better harry (I like the addition to the pint - which, BTW, CLEARLY looks like a pint!) and the thicker lines work well too.

I still have a few issues with the type, both the face and some of the curving - for example in the est 1988 bit, (and this will sound weird) if you imagine the text at the centre will be along a line at 12 o clock, then the text at either end should be at 1 o clock on the left, and 11 o clock on the right for balance, but they seem very uneven.

Also, the very squashed "football club" doesn't work too well - generally in two parts like that (see the LFC badge) you have the same typeface, in the same format (ie - not stretched, squashed etc) but simply in a different size.

Also, in the space area below the green banner and above the ribbon - the graphic might be better equidistant from both top and bottom of the area.

Some of the stuff is hard to explain - if you want to bang me over an eps file, I could give it a little tweak to best explain what I mean!
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: July 3, 2007, 09:32:58 am »
I'm agreeing with Nidge about the 'football club' part, and also what he says about the positioning of the graphic. Fine art wise, we're always told either center it, or leave more space at the bottom than the top, leaving more space at the top draws the eye to blank space.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: July 3, 2007, 09:58:01 am »
Do the words 'Football Club' have to be on the logo?

I am seeing the pint glass now, but it combines with the football to look like an elongated , elaborate 'Fc'

(and bear in mind, a new viewer to it wouldn't expect to see a pint glass on a footie logo).

"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: July 3, 2007, 10:21:08 am »
Do the words 'Football Club' have to be on the logo?

I am seeing the pint glass now, but it combines with the football to look like an elongated , elaborate 'Fc'

This is the bit where the designer says "yes, I've done that deliberately so the individual elements combine to give a secondary meaning"

:D

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• Michael Pain the tittie-fixated inflatable doll salesman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: July 3, 2007, 11:50:14 am »
Looking a lot better harry (I like the addition to the pint - which, BTW, CLEARLY looks like a pint!) and the thicker lines work well too.

I still have a few issues with the type, both the face and some of the curving - for example in the est 1988 bit, (and this will sound weird) if you imagine the text at the centre will be along a line at 12 o clock, then the text at either end should be at 1 o clock on the left, and 11 o clock on the right for balance, but they seem very uneven.

Also, the very squashed "football club" doesn't work too well - generally in two parts like that (see the LFC badge) you have the same typeface, in the same format (ie - not stretched, squashed etc) but simply in a different size.

Also, in the space area below the green banner and above the ribbon - the graphic might be better equidistant from both top and bottom of the area.

Some of the stuff is hard to explain - if you want to bang me over an eps file, I could give it a little tweak to best explain what I mean!

I know what you mean about the typeface, i think i'll try a little skewing and move the graphics around, this is all useful to me so keep it coming, I used to be very annoyed by feedback (criticism) which isn't really a good thing if I want to work in that area.

I've forwarded you on a EPS file to the e-mail address on here

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: July 3, 2007, 11:59:49 am »
If Greenbank are half as good as their logo , then Rafa should line them up for a friendly  ;D

Offline corbyRed

• Kopite
« Reply #209 on: July 3, 2007, 12:08:50 pm »
Sadly not ;)

will have the best badge in the whole pub league though.

Cheers Harry and all others for their contributions :thumbup

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: July 3, 2007, 12:09:44 pm »
I've forwarded you on a EPS file to the e-mail address on here

What sort of eps was that? ;)

I wasn't able to sample the colour correctly, or move the pint/ball motif because those sections of the logo were placed images rather than vector files, but I've done a little with the fints - look much more balanced, and I think Albertus looks better for the font.

Also made the ribbon slightly smaller.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: July 3, 2007, 12:10:45 pm »
Have forwarded you the eps back again as well!

:wave

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: July 3, 2007, 12:16:47 pm »
the pint glass it too close to the top now, it feels squashed
STFU and agree with me.

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: July 3, 2007, 12:32:11 pm »
Have forwarded you the eps back again as well!

Could you just not have asked for the .PSD file you fucking illustrating c*nt :P

Yeah I agree about the albertus it's nice, but didn't have it installed, will try later got work today

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: July 3, 2007, 01:52:35 pm »
Could you just not have asked for the .PSD file you fucking illustrating c*nt :P

you'll need to be supplying it as a illustrator file for embroidery :wave

the pint glass it too close to the top now, it feels squashed
I wasn't able to sample the colour correctly, or move the pint/ball motif because those sections of the logo were placed images

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: July 3, 2007, 01:54:16 pm »

Yeah I agree about the albertus it's nice, but didn't have it installed, will try later got work today

Do you see what I mean about the angling of the letters, and the font proportional height staying the same throughout though, and how a slightly serif typeface looks better?

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #216 on: July 3, 2007, 02:57:06 pm »
If you're going for the sneaky FC, any way you can get a sneaky G in there as well? That would be great.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: July 3, 2007, 05:37:26 pm »
you'll need to be supplying it as a illustrator file for embroidery :wave

Do i not just need to supply corby with a cymk version or does the machine work with those specific files?

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: July 3, 2007, 09:16:16 pm »
Do i not just need to supply corby with a cymk version or does the machine work with those specific files?

generally the machines will work best with .ai files (or other vector format) - if you supply any other format, generally, some monkey will re-draw the logo in vector format for the machine (and duly fuck it up)

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #219 on: July 7, 2007, 01:04:01 pm »
struggling with a freelance project just now. The uni want to put a 'Southampton wall of fame' on the side of their building in the middle of town to tie in with the development of guildhall square which is next to it, and they want me to design the proposal. I came up with a very graphic solution but it seems they want something more photograph based But this guy expects me to be able to find pictures to do with spitfires, cruise ships, amongst other Southampton iconography on the internet. What am i supposed to do with tiny images off google!

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: July 7, 2007, 01:29:19 pm »
If they're paying you, buy some stock images.

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #221 on: July 7, 2007, 01:36:14 pm »
had a quick look earlier as I couldn't find any decent football club images - still couldn't find any on the stock image sites recommended on here. This sort of thing isn't really my specialty to be honest, but I could use the experience! Its very difficult as all the images on the stock image sites seem to be newer, and I need old images.
« Last Edit: July 7, 2007, 01:47:08 pm by Matt S »

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: July 7, 2007, 01:54:11 pm »
In work we use jupiter images, they pull feeds from a few different agencies, so you get a good range, or Getty for certain things, Getty is probably best bet for football stuff. Not sure of costs, I don't pay the bills :D

Because this is going to be used in a public space, as an exhibition or sorts, the licenses might be a sticking point though, so you'll have to give them a good look over, Getty/Jupiter etc will have more comprehensive terms than say SXC, and I can't remember off the top of my head if in their general terms it stipulates in what form any works can be publicly shown.

Copyright is a pain in the arse.

Would you not be able to take any yourself? It's one sure fire way of dodging all the copyright nonsense.

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #223 on: July 7, 2007, 02:05:31 pm »
Would you not be able to take any yourself? It's one sure fire way of dodging all the copyright nonsense.

If i had a time machine :P It would be ideal. Unfortunately all the things southampton is famous for is pretty much in the past - cruise liners, spitfires, flying boats, jane austen apparently lived here for a while. As I said before, I produced quite a nice graphical image which just involved tracing stuff in illustrator but he said he was looking for more of a photo montage style.

The guy actually told me not to worry about image rights etc... But I don't think he knows much about it. Saying that nor do I really as I usually create my own imagery.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: July 7, 2007, 02:18:41 pm »
If the images are really old, I think he's right and you won't have to worry, I *think* after 50years copyright is relinquished and you can use it for nowt.

It's finding a good quality scan of them though :-\

Local museum will probably have books of old pics of Southampton and you could scan from that, email the publisher and clear the usage of the images, jobs a good'un. If the museum produced the publication themselves, the images should be property of the crown, so wouldn't be any worries about using those.

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #225 on: July 7, 2007, 02:35:23 pm »
If the images are really old, I think he's right and you won't have to worry, I *think* after 50years copyright is relinquished and you can use it for nowt.

It's finding a good quality scan of them though :-\

Local museum will probably have books of old pics of Southampton and you could scan from that, email the publisher and clear the usage of the images, jobs a good'un. If the museum produced the publication themselves, the images should be property of the crown, so wouldn't be any worries about using those.

ahha. Cheers for that claire.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: July 8, 2007, 03:30:27 pm »
had a quick look earlier as I couldn't find any decent football club images - still couldn't find any on the stock image sites recommended on here. This sort of thing isn't really my specialty to be honest, but I could use the experience! Its very difficult as all the images on the stock image sites seem to be newer, and I need old images.

Matt - best way to generally get round things like this is to contact the local tourist board (not an information office, the local tourist board themselves) explain it, and ask what they have (of course, going into a local info office and grabbing loads of stuff will show you much of what is in their stock, and will help you in getting certain pics - eg - "the one on page 20 of the cycling guide")

Generally we find local tourism authorities are quite happy to let people access their image libraries for things like this which are positive for the town, and essentially advertise them for free.

http://www.visit-southampton.co.uk/
http://www.southampton.gov.uk/
« Last Edit: July 8, 2007, 03:32:55 pm by nidgemo 3.11 »

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #227 on: July 9, 2007, 11:50:05 am »
Seriously considering getting a Wacom now..... The mouse/touchpad is becoming far too restricted for me (always had good control but feel CS3 is restricted because of not having this).

Would an A6 or A5 Intuos3 be ok or should I really be looking at A4 and above?
Infact should I even be looking at Intuos3, is there another one that you would recommend?
Also where would people suggest getting one from?

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #228 on: July 9, 2007, 06:40:15 pm »
Matt - best way to generally get round things like this is to contact the local tourist board (not an information office, the local tourist board themselves) explain it, and ask what they have (of course, going into a local info office and grabbing loads of stuff will show you much of what is in their stock, and will help you in getting certain pics - eg - "the one on page 20 of the cycling guide")

Generally we find local tourism authorities are quite happy to let people access their image libraries for things like this which are positive for the town, and essentially advertise them for free.

http://www.visit-southampton.co.uk/
http://www.southampton.gov.uk/

thanks nige, very helpful :wave

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Big Mac Whopper. Proud owner of "mods-are-cunts" account. Strangely no longer with us.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: July 9, 2007, 06:44:16 pm »
Seriously considering getting a Wacom now..... The mouse/touchpad is becoming far too restricted for me (always had good control but feel CS3 is restricted because of not having this).

Would an A6 or A5 Intuos3 be ok or should I really be looking at A4 and above?
Infact should I even be looking at Intuos3, is there another one that you would recommend?
Also where would people suggest getting one from?

A5 is fine. A4 is huge unless you have a 23+ monitor - even then you are still good with the A5 Wide.

A6 is a bit small but does the job.
* WARNING - The above post may contain sarcasm. Maybe some irony, if you're lucky.

AS ALWAYS, WE ARE FOCUSED ON SUPPORTING OUR MANAGER

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #230 on: July 9, 2007, 07:32:22 pm »
A5 is fine. A4 is huge unless you have a 23+ monitor - even then you are still good with the A5 Wide.

A6 is a bit small but does the job.

Sound, it'll only be for use with the laptop at the moment, so will prob look for a 2nd hand A5 :wave

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #231 on: July 11, 2007, 10:51:04 am »
Hi All,

Do any of you have a vector of a world map at all?

Just a flat basic one?

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #232 on: July 11, 2007, 10:52:00 am »
Ignore me :wave

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: July 11, 2007, 10:54:29 am »
Hi All,

Do any of you have a vector of a world map at all?

Just a flat basic one?

Hasn't anyone told you yet? The world isn't flat.

Ignore me :wave

We usually do  ;D

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: July 11, 2007, 12:15:46 pm »
Brad, I finally got those applications from FACT, and they're wanting designers to apply to show there aswell (only 'rules' are technology has to have featured in the process at some stage, has to have been created in last 3 yrs, and the artist/designer is NW based), might be worth putting an app together, cos it's fantastic exposure if they pick you.

Applications close on the 20th, so it's fairly short notice, but worth a go, they'll take an age to send the forms/breif out so if you want it, I can forward them on to you, and anyone else who's interested send me a PM with an email addy.

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #235 on: July 11, 2007, 12:25:07 pm »
Brad, I finally got those applications from FACT, and they're wanting designers to apply to show there aswell (only 'rules' are technology has to have featured in the process at some stage, has to have been created in last 3 yrs, and the artist/designer is NW based), might be worth putting an app together, cos it's fantastic exposure if they pick you.

Applications close on the 20th, so it's fairly short notice, but worth a go, they'll take an age to send the forms/breif out so if you want it, I can forward them on to you, and anyone else who's interested send me a PM with an email addy.

Go ead Claire :)

email is in my profile :)

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: July 11, 2007, 06:56:59 pm »
Go ead Claire :)

email is in my profile :)

Getting mailbox unavailable ???

Stuck 'em up here

Brief
Form

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Big Mac Whopper. Proud owner of "mods-are-cunts" account. Strangely no longer with us.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: July 11, 2007, 07:07:25 pm »
Had a really exciting enquiry today, big indian ad agency wanting large orders doing - they have asked me to keep all projects under wraps for the moment but it looks promising and could be a quality lead into that market.
* WARNING - The above post may contain sarcasm. Maybe some irony, if you're lucky.

AS ALWAYS, WE ARE FOCUSED ON SUPPORTING OUR MANAGER

Offline sanj

• Anny Roader
    • BOX NIGHTCLUB
« Reply #238 on: July 11, 2007, 10:10:01 pm »
Hey guys,

Any of you guys/gals have experience in nightclub flyer design?
Been using a few different companies, keep getting let down.
Looking for for someone with lots of ceativity and good experience.
Anyone?

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #239 on: July 11, 2007, 10:13:32 pm »
Hey guys,

Any of you guys/gals have experience in nightclub flyer design?
Been using a few different companies, keep getting let down.
Looking for for someone with lots of ceativity and good experience.
Anyone?

What sort of club?
What sort of money?
How many colours etc etc