Author Topic: Fat Scouser's Favourite Player #11 The Great Peter Thompson.  (Read 13293 times)

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Fat Scouser's Favourite Player #11 The Great Peter Thompson.
« on: December 4, 2012, 11:37:43 pm »
In collating the list of advent's players, there was one or two writers I really wanted to get on board, and Mr Fat Scouser was one of them.
Fats is similar to my way of looking at football in that we deal in feelings not facts, and I really love to read his stuff so am very delighted to present to you on the 11th thread of Christmas, Fats' wonderful memories surrounding Peter Thompson, a brilliant player and someone you young'un's should check out if at all possible. If you aren't moved or stirred by his words then you've a brick for a heart, or you're David Moyes.

Thanks Leo and enjoy this great piece of writing of his:

When I defend managers of our club, against smart arses that think they actually know better than them, I always come out with the same old chestnut... “Insert manager's name here, has forgotten more about football in a five minute nap than you'll ever learn in a life time, you.. insert string of expletives here.”

If I was talking to meself, it would be true. So, I don't know why I was asked to write for this. My football memory is absolutely atrocious... “ Remember that time in Newcastle, Lad?” I can't remember if I was in New York or the New Year, let alone St. James' Park.

But one thing I can never forget, my first match... freezing cold, pitch black,1965, Goodison Park, midweek, night game, Everton, against some other team or another. My Father and Uncle Alan took me. And after leaving me for an hour or so, on the step of The Blue House, or some alehouse or another, they lashed me under, or tossed me over, a turn style onto the Bullens Road. At least, I think it was the Bullens. I'm not sure. I don't even know who they were playing.

I just remember looking at, and listening to, the Gwaldys Street... “Ohhhhh, we hate Bill Shankly and we hate Saint John, but most of all we hate big Ron. An' we'll hang the Kopites one by one on the banks of the royal blue Mersey!”

I loved it. I loved it that much, I couldn't wait to go again on Saturday. But... “The other shite are at home on Satdee, Lad. Yer'll have to wait till next week.”

I couldn't. I didn't. Treachery or not, I still don't know how they could. All I remember is harrishing me poor old Nina, (another week in, week out, match going Toffee), until she finally gave me a few coppers to go to Anfield on the Saturday.

Fuck Gwaldys Street. After queueing up, gripping and hiding my few pennies in my short trousers pocket, for what seemed like months, I was in, this was it, The Boy's Pen... “Kopites are Gobshites!”

Who we were playing? I don't know. I haven't got a clue, but I know I've never enjoyed a match so much ever again. Just as much, yeah, of course, but never more. It's true. There's nothing like the first time, and you never forget it.

It was that good, I can't even remember how long the big lads in The Pen hit me and picked on me for. I just remember, after they'd welcomed me, singing with them for what seemed like a lifetime. And watching the more daring ones climb up to the roof, way up in the heavens, and climb down onto the Kop, on the other side of the railings, that kept the aul fellas safe from us.

Without a word of a lie, I thought The Kop was on fire. I don't know when, but I finally twigged... it was the smoke off a million Woodbines, and the steam off the 25,000 bodies and all the pints they'd drunk.

I can honestly still remember staring at it all in total awe... “I don't know what they do to the enemy, but, by God, they put the living shites up me.” “OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!” The Drone, I found out it was called. I can still hear it in my head, and thinking it was going to bring the roof of the huge Spion Kop embankment crashing down upon it.

The Drone seemed to go on forever, rattling the ground from top to bottom, upside down, inside out and back to front. Then the noise really started, “BRING OUT THE CHAMPIONS! BRING OUT THE CHAMPIONS!” The last title we'd won was the 2nd division, but it didn't matter to us... “When you walk through a storm....”

The place was absolute bedlam. But, as I soon learned, there was an order to it all and how we done things. We called for The Champions. The Champions ran onto the pitch as we sang our anthem. A big fat scruffy aul fella, with a bird's nest of a beard, (probably with youngies still in it), was the only one of us The Walrus didn't chase off the pitch. In fact, the big, handle barred, Moustachioed Dragoon of a Copper, just stood by, watching and laughing, as Johnny Walker took a penalty. I swear the roof near did come off The Kop when John whacked it past Tommy Lawrence. Then he dived back into the crowd, swallowed up until the next home match, when he put us one up again, before a ball was even kicked.

Well, as the great man, Shanks himself, said, we were worth a goal start against anyone. But God himself only knows how we made them players feel. Before they kicked off, every single one of them had to be serenaded with his own song or chant, even if it was only 50 odd thousand of us, harrishing them into giving us a wave.

Strange thing, I was having a pint with a mate of mine the other week. He's a little older than me, and a life long red. So, I expected an answer to something that's evaded me for years, “What was Thommo's song?” Seems my memory isn't the only shot one. (If anyone remembers, please put me an Franna out of our misery).

What I do remember is, (probably because some of the aul arses were talking about it just the other day), “Brazil, Cha-Cha-Cha,” every time Thommo ran down the wing with the ball at his feet. Well, no. That's a lie. Thommo didn't keep the ball at his feet. Jairzhino, Rivelino, he wasn't. Pedro was an absolute speed demon, simply knocking the ball past lead footed defenders, and leaving them, choking in the dust of his wake. That's not to say, Thommo couldn't dribble. He couldn't head a ball to save his life, that's true. I remember one game when the ball came firing at him, way above head height. Thommo leapt like a mentalist contortionist of a ballet dancer, caught the ball on his foot, pulled it down and killed it, stone dead on the deck, all in one move, before sprinting up the wing with it, at a gazillion miles an hour. But as for his dribbling, it thrilled me to bits and drove Sir Bob Paisley crackers, beating about 40 defenders, 40 odd times, with his left foot before getting a right footed cross in. Yep, the mind boggled at the man.

Thommo also got a bit of stick for not scoring enough. But here's what Shankly thought of that... “Good as Tom Finney and George Best, people said he didn't score enough goals. True, but if he had, he'd have been ranked with Jesus Christ.”

To be honest, Thommo was a bit higher in my estimation, but who can argue with the great man. Not me, for sure. But Peter, Pedro, Thommo, Thompson... the man who turned me on to the beautiful game, and showed me just how beautiful it can be. I could go on and on about him for ages. And, in me drunken, sentimental, “modern day football, bah cack,” mood, I sometimes do. But I'll leave with a word from Shanks. Well, it's a story about Shanks, told by Thommo himself...

Thommo had just played a blinder, scored a hat-trick. He was showing off in the bath, giving it a bit of the big I am's. Shankly came marching in... “Thommo, my office, now!” Thommo was that scared he never even got dry, just threw on his suit, tie, the lot, and fixed his hair. Well, had to look respectfully presentable and respectable for Mister Shankly. Running to Bill's office, Thommo nervously tapped on the door... “Come in!”

Proper shitting himself, Thommo done what he was told, when he was told... “Sit down, sit down, Peter, Son.” Caught off guard by the niceness, but still wary, Thommo sat done in front of the big boss...“You were magnificent today, Thommo Son, bloody magnificent!”

Thommo started to unwind a bit, just a bit, though. “I tell you Peter Son, strong... you were strong, strong as a Carthorse.” Relaxing a bit more, “Thank you, Boss. Thank you, very much.”

Shankly smiled, “And fast Son, fast as a Race Horse!”

Now at his ease, even feeling a bit cocky, “I was fast, wasn't I Boss?”

“Aye. Aye, you were Son, you were that. And you was thick as a bloody Rocking Horse! Now get oot my office, an' you won't be playin' next week!”

Oh yes, those were the days to be a young Kopite. If I never remember anything else, I'll never forget them. And I'll never forget Peter Thompson, my first hero, and the lad that taught me to appreciate football as something more than over paid shitehawks wellying a bladder up and down a field.

And if I ever get the enthusiasm back that Thommo and Shanks gave me for that beautiful game, I'll tell you all about Peter, Pedro Thommo, Thompson, left winger, LFC legend, my first footballing hero. And most importantly, the man that saved me from a life time of royal blue bitterness and disappointment. And, possibly, probably, maybe, still to this day, my all time favourite LFC player. Well, no. But some fantastic footballer, non the less, and the poor fella Missus Fat Scouser blames for my life long Liverpool Football Club addiction.

Fat Scouser.

brilliant and thanks Leo:hinesy
« Last Edit: December 5, 2012, 05:10:07 pm by hinesy »
Yep.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
Re: Fat Scouser's Favourite Player #11 The Great Peter Thompson.
« Reply #1 on: December 5, 2012, 11:19:03 am »
it was the smoke off a million Woodbines, and the steam off the 25,000 bodies and all the pints they'd drunk.

Cracking read, FS, thanks.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #2 on: December 6, 2012, 12:57:04 pm »
 :wellin

Bravo.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: December 6, 2012, 02:32:02 pm »
Cracking piece.

royhendo

« Reply #4 on: December 6, 2012, 02:41:14 pm »
Yup. Magic. :)

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #5 on: December 6, 2012, 10:44:02 pm »
Beautifully written.

"and climb down onto the Kop, on the other side of the railings, that kept the aul fellas safe from us."

;D So true.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: December 9, 2012, 11:48:19 am »
Brilliant that, mate.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 11:46:13 pm »
There's always one player that hooks us in to the drug of Liverpool Football Club

It's the rest of it that affects us long term and returning for more!

Excellent write up as expected FS :thumbup
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 11:48:04 pm »
Today's Advent piece is from that fine writer and re-creator of memories: Fat Scouser.

The reason I wanted him to do it is at the top of the piece, but I think he's done a cracking job and on the 11th day of RAWK we give you young'un's a proper lesson in wingers and old style players wrapped up in a fabulous memory of match going days:

Fat Scouser on Peter Thompson.

enjoy.
Yep.

Offline Vork+The Knights of Good

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Macklin, you son of a bitch.
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 12:15:19 am »
That was glorious. Thanks, FS!
Justice For The 96

Offline Neil D

• The new Kop pin-up model. Met Momo in the ASDA.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 12:32:51 am »
Loved it

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 02:22:03 am »
Excellent. One of those players that many older fans still cherish to this day.

Offline pepe_carra_stevie_nando

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 06:35:14 am »
Absolutely fantastic. I love reading Fat Scouser's work and this is up there with the very best of it. I hope there is more to come from him.
Thing is, if you're going to have a massive beard then you simply MUST have a 'tache with it. Otherwise you just look like you've dipped your sticky chin in to a box of fannies.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 08:24:33 am »
Wonderful. You should write a book  ;)

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 08:39:55 am »
Quality stuff. Very enjoyable

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 09:03:51 am »
Thanks for all the nice words. Next time, I might get round to actually writing about the player. In all honesty, Thommo wasn't even the best winger in that team, let alone the best we've ever had. But, if you enjoy watching flying wingers, leaving defenders, (especially the thugs back then), looking like mugs, then Thommo was the man.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline stevedo

• Lacks Emotion.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muddling through.
  • Super Title: Corbyn Circle Jerker
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2012, 09:07:26 am »
Great read FS.  :)

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2012, 09:10:07 am »
Thanks for all the nice words. Next time, I might get round to actually writing about the player. In all honesty, Thommo wasn't even the best winger in that team, let alone the best we've ever had. But, if you enjoy watching flying wingers, leaving defenders, (especially the thugs back then), looking like mugs, then Thommo was the man.

Who was the other winger in the team at that time - Callaghan? I remember watching him on an old Liverpool in Europe video I had.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Aurrera begiratzen ez duena, atzean dago.
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2012, 09:14:54 am »
Powerfully evocative as always.

Far from blaming Thompson for your addiction to LFC, Missus Fat Scouser should be forever grateful to him that she didn't end up hitched to a bitter bluenose.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2012, 09:16:31 am »
Wonderful that was. Love it when the auld arses come out.

Thank you.
@Yvanicuzz

Offline Warks Moustache

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2012, 09:35:42 am »
I wonder what Thommo did to be to be left out of the next game...

A wonderful read Fat Scouser, thanks for sharing.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 09:43:42 am by Warks Moustache »

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2012, 01:10:07 pm »

Absolute poetry FS

And Thommo. What a player. In an era when a winger was exactly that (though probably at his peak around the time some, like Alf Ramsay, thought you could do without them)

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2012, 01:13:18 pm »
Who was the other winger in the team at that time - Callaghan? I remember watching him on an old Liverpool in Europe video I had.
Yeah. It was Cally, fantastic player. Unlike Thommo, he was able to adapt his game, still holds the record number of appearances. But I still reckon we sold Thommo too early. He had a few great seasons with Bolton after leaving us, in 72, I think. He was sort of unlucky that his career collided with the days of Ramsey's Wingless Wonders. In my opinion, he should have had a World Cup Winners medal. But old Sir Alf liked a more pragmatic style of football, meaning, boring, grinding stuff. But, honestly, if anyone likes flying wingers, Thommo was the Daddy. It's a shame there's no film of him knocking about. I've checked the youtube and other gaffs. He's just one of them lads that seems to have slipped under the radar. But anyone who seen him play, will tell you the same thing... "Nuisance, beating the same defender 5 times before delivering, but what a player to watch." I swear the touch lines used to go on fire as he legged it along them.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2012, 01:14:35 pm »
Absolute poetry FS

And Thommo. What a player. In an era when a winger was exactly that (though probably at his peak around the time some, like Alf Ramsay, thought you could do without them)
I must have been writing my comment when you posted that and missed it. You're bang on. An out an out winger that you just don't see nowadays.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2012, 01:30:55 pm »
Yeah. It was Cally, fantastic player. Unlike Thommo, he was able to adapt his game, still holds the record number of appearances. But I still reckon we sold Thommo too early. He had a few great seasons with Bolton after leaving us, in 72, I think.

I saw him in an FA Cup tie at Huddersfield playing for Bolton in 1976. He must have been getting on in years by then but he was still a fine player. I must have first seen him at the same ground, six years earlier, playing for Liverpool but it was the '76 game, oddly, which stood out. Every time he got the ball there was a sharp intake of breath. I can still see him now, so beautifully balanced, just primed to throw a shoulder and go. 
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2012, 01:35:20 pm »
There was a bit more to him, Yorky mate. But that was just about it in a nutshell, get the ball to Thommo and get in the box sharpish, because he'll be bearing down on goal in seconds, either slinging in a cross or cutting inside and whacking in a shot.
Simple, but beautiful. I think I cried when he left.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2012, 01:49:20 pm »
There was a bit more to him, Yorky mate. But that was just about it in a nutshell, get the ball to Thommo and get in the box sharpish, because he'll be bearing down on goal in seconds, either slinging in a cross or cutting inside and whacking in a shot.
Simple, but beautiful. I think I cried when he left.

I missed him in his pomp Fats, but I've read a lot about Thommo and have got Liverpudlian pals, like yourself, who still shake with excitement when you mention his name. But even in '76 he was clearly an excellent footballer. Years later I saw Jimmy Case play against us for Southampton. You probably remember that. A different type of 'winger' Jimmy, but he had some of that same aura even in the twilight of his career. Both Thommo and Case had slowed up of course. But they still had TIME on the ball and seemed to be ahead of the game somehow.   

Offline lfcderek

• Palooka basher Go ed Del Boy lid. Your right to point out wear I am wrong. Deffo more derek than lfc.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2012, 01:49:55 pm »

True. The trouble with Thompson was that one week he would be completely unplayable - if they double marked him it wouldn't make any difference - and then he wouldn't turn up the for the next two games. On the other side of the park would be Callaghan - playing superbly and giving 100% every time he played.

As you say though, seeing him go past the full backs was a thing of beauty and, although he wasn't prolific, the goals he did score were inevitably 25 yard screamers.

Or is that an old fart looking back through hooded eyes?

Happy memories .   :)  :)  :)
"Don't let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what's right."
"True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing."
"I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn`t learn something from him."
"People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do."

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2012, 01:53:10 pm »
Great read Fats.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2012, 01:57:39 pm »
Casey, another simple type of player, get the ball to him, and get in the area, cos he'll whack it like a cannon ball. Like Shanks said, it's a simple game.
Don't get me wrong, I can't bear hoof ball. But then we never played that. It was all about getting the ball on the deck and into the danger area as quick as possible, while keeping possession and getting players in on the goal.

Yorky, I bet you remember Dave Thomas, the QPR winger that was unlucky to spend some time with that shower over the park. No, just messing there. He was devestating at Goodison when he played with Latchford. Well, he's the closest I ever seen to Thommo, even closer than Heighway. But he never had a patch on Thommo. He'd have left him in the starting gate and been carrying the ball back from their net to the centre circle.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2012, 02:01:30 pm »
Great write up mate and a great player. I hardly remember him except that he seemed to be a flying winger?

I do recall the overlap when Phil joined and there use to be a P next to Phil's name to distinguish them - is that right or did I make that up in me head?

Anyway here's a bit more from Mark Platt.................

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/features/peter-thompson-wizard-of-the-wing

(that song is annoying me now, surprised yorky can't remember it - where's Terry?)

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2012, 02:01:50 pm »
True. The trouble with Thompson was that one week he would be completely unplayable - if they double marked him it wouldn't make any difference - and then he wouldn't turn up the for the next two games. On the other side of the park would be Callaghan - playing superbly and giving 100% every time he played.

As you say though, seeing him go past the full backs was a thing of beauty and, although he wasn't prolific, the goals he did score were inevitably 25 yard screamers.

Or is that an old fart looking back through hooded eyes?

Happy memories .   :)  :)  :)
Not at all, mate. He was something to watch. But you're right, he could drive you crazy. I believe he used to do Bob Paisley's nut in.

Oh well, enough reminiscing from me. But I hope the young lads can dig up some old film of Thommo. He should be seen by every red, at his best.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2012, 02:07:15 pm »
Not at all, mate. He was something to watch. But you're right, he could drive you crazy. I believe he used to do Bob Paisley's nut in.

Oh well, enough reminiscing from me. But I hope the young lads can dig up some old film of Thommo. He should be seen by every red, at his best.
Features a bit on here mate http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNlXhzNQFr4

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2012, 02:09:08 pm »

Yorky, I bet you remember Dave Thomas, the QPR winger that was unlucky to spend some time with that shower over the park. No, just messing there. He was devestating at Goodison when he played with Latchford. Well, he's the closest I ever seen to Thommo, even closer than Heighway. But he never had a patch on Thommo. He'd have left him in the starting gate and been carrying the ball back from their net to the centre circle.

I do remember him. Graduate from the famous Burnley academy wasn't he? Socks always round his ankles and a bandly-legged little fucke*.

It's interesting you mention Heighway. I've often wondered about Shanks and his left-wingers. Both Thompson and Heighway were right-footed really and yet they were played on the left. Nowadays we accept this as normal, but I don't remember any other manager in the 1960s and 70s consistently playing his wingers on the 'wrong side'. I'm wondering if Shanks did this because he remembered how his favourite player - Tom Finney - had been so devastating on the right wing even though he was a lefty?

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2012, 02:18:34 pm »
I do remember him. Graduate from the famous Burnley academy wasn't he? Socks always round his ankles and a bandly-legged little fucke*. 

If I remember rightly, if he'd been on the right wing for Burnley, Steve Kindon must have been on the left. Talk about making the pitch 'big'!

Offline Carlos: Very Kickable

• Pompous Twat. Scourge of Pinko Liberalism. Attitude to Cyan Conservatism is unclear. Lives in a Monochrome world and is baffled by colours.
  • Legacy Fan
  • As Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus would say...
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2012, 02:34:05 pm »

Great read - poignant and made me laugh out loud - thanks FS.
I know you struggle with reading comprehension Carlitos, but do try to pay attention

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2012, 10:26:22 pm »
Great read - poignant and made me laugh out loud - thanks FS.

Poignant. Good way to sum that up.
Yep.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2012, 10:33:26 pm »
Brilliant read, love to see how the auld fellas got into Liverpool - such a different world back then, gutted I couldn't sample the boys pen for meself! Not a bad write up of the player himself either!

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2012, 12:13:58 am »
Great stuff
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline forrest1980

• Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2012, 12:35:10 am »
Great read, thanks
"If you can't support us when we lose or draw , don't support us when we win" - Bill Shankly.......the best quote the great man ever said.