Author Topic: Knee injuries - And injuries in general advice.  (Read 1074 times)

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• Duchess of Crackers, Mermaid of the Caribbean Sea and Amazon goddess (Current Empress of Tenochtitlan)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Available for parties and dinners.
Knee injuries - And injuries in general advice.
« on: May 3, 2020, 07:41:10 pm »
Dear Reds,

I know I'm not a regular anymore, but I've been searching in these threads about some advice or just read about people's experience through post-op and rehab from physical injuries/surgeries and there was none, so I opened this one.

I had a bad knee injury, complete tear of the ACL and chondral fractures in my knee (I was doing my best Fabio Aurelio impersonation). So, long story short, I had surgery last week.

Now that I lie in bed, with the brace and all the machinery on, what should I expect? how long did it take you to recover? what was difficult? what was easy? When did the bruises went away? When were you able to walk properly? did you get your muscular mass around the area back? I know internet is full of some of this info in general, but I would like some first hand info.

I look forward to do sports again after this.

I read you reds, any experience?
« Last Edit: May 4, 2020, 01:20:43 am by Lady_brandybuck »
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies"

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
Re: Knee injuries - And injuries in general advice.
« Reply #1 on: May 3, 2020, 07:59:35 pm »
Just a heads up, it's worth sharing this somewhere on the fitness forum within the general footy section too. I'm sure the guys in the running thread will have some experience.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #2 on: May 3, 2020, 08:02:50 pm »
Welshred is the one to ask.  He’s a physio.  (Or claims to be anyway ;D)

That sounds bloody painful, my sister did both her acls but didn’t fracture her knees... that sounds terrible.

She drove home after the operation and did her own physio, but she’s a physio too.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3 on: May 3, 2020, 08:04:33 pm »

That sounds bloody painful, my sister did both her acls but didn’t fracture her knees... that sounds terrible.

She drove home after the operation and did her own physio, but she’s a physio too.

He’s not really a physio, that’s just what he tells the police whenever they catch him doing something inappropriate in public.

Get better soon Kat!

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: May 4, 2020, 01:13:07 am »
Holy cow. That sounds like a bad-one lady B.

PS my dad had a knee surgery and the Physio he received was I think as important as the procedure in getting him back on his feet. good luck with the rehab

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• Duchess of Crackers, Mermaid of the Caribbean Sea and Amazon goddess (Current Empress of Tenochtitlan)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: May 4, 2020, 01:21:08 am »
Just a heads up, it's worth sharing this somewhere on the fitness forum within the general footy section too. I'm sure the guys in the running thread will have some experience.

Is there a fitness forum here?

He’s not really a physio, that’s just what he tells the police whenever they catch him doing something inappropriate in public.

Get better soon Kat!

I lost contact with him ages ago. When he was discussing something about a girl's photo on snapchat.

WOW! I know I have to do most exercises myself, as physios here are expensive... but I can barely bend it 90° now, and she just drove her car after surgery! wowsers!

Holy cow. That sounds like a bad-one lady B.

PS my dad had a knee surgery and the Physio he received was I think as important as the procedure in getting him back on his feet. good luck with the rehab

Cheers mate
« Last Edit: May 4, 2020, 01:24:40 am by Lady_brandybuck »

Offline The Bournemouth Red

• 43 year old Muppet fan and proud. I decide. And so does my wife!
  • Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
« Reply #6 on: May 4, 2020, 08:34:17 am »
Dear Reds,

I know I'm not a regular anymore, but I've been searching in these threads about some advice or just read about people's experience through post-op and rehab from physical injuries/surgeries and there was none, so I opened this one.

I had a bad knee injury, complete tear of the ACL and chondral fractures in my knee (I was doing my best Fabio Aurelio impersonation). So, long story short, I had surgery last week.

Now that I lie in bed, with the brace and all the machinery on, what should I expect? how long did it take you to recover? what was difficult? what was easy? When did the bruises went away? When were you able to walk properly? did you get your muscular mass around the area back? I know internet is full of some of this info in general, but I would like some first hand info.

I look forward to do sports again after this.

I read you reds, any experience?

Pretty basic, and probably stuff you cane home with, but this at least gives some timeframes of what to expect and do;

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/knee-ligament-surgery/recovery/

As mentioned already, keeping to the physio regime, either at home or with a therapist, is the most important thing.

Here's hoping it goes okay.
Falling down, getting up, always Red.

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
« Reply #7 on: May 4, 2020, 10:46:02 am »
First of all, ouch!! I did my ACL and it took me about a year to fully recover. First few weeks after surgery was just resting and letting swelling and pain go down. Once that was done I was given some exercise by the physio, really simple ones to get the leg moving other than walking. My physio said I could probably do some light swimming at this point, but I was so nervous about it I didn't. Although, it may have shortened my recovery time in the long run. I did however, go to the pool couple of times and just walked up and down. Looked bit of a twat but nothing new!

I think it was around the 4 months mark where I actually went for a swim and did a bit of light running, definitely all straight line stuff. My biggest regret is that I didn't do more and get myself really fit. I had a lot of issues mentally with confidence and was very anxious about using it. It took me about 11 months to actually want to kick a football again with any power, I just had this fear my leg would fall off if I kicked a football too hard.

One thing I would recommend, during the first month where I wasn't doing too much I read a lot to keep my mind active. I'd definitely suggest getting a hobby similar.

Hope your recovery goes well!
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Offline CaseRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8 on: May 4, 2020, 11:14:14 am »
I did mine in 2003. Complete disruption of the ACL in my last pre season game of rugby that year. We had just been promoted to London League 1 at the time so I missed playing at that level for a couple of years as a result!!

It was exactly a year to the day before I played rugby again.

1st couple of weeks will be painful. I had a machine on that bent and straightened my leg 24 hours a day for the 1st few days. Push it to the edge of the pain but no further and if the swelling gets worse dial it back. I was on crutches for a month. When I came off them it was everything in straight lines to build the muscles back up. I had been doing static muscle clenches while off my feet as well which helped. Squats and proper lunges were good and I spent a lot of time running in a swimming pool. People look at you funny but sod em!

I started light jogging again about 4 months later on a flat surface (astroturf football pitch) so that it was all controlled and again built it back up really slowly.

There are a lot of mental hurdles to get over, especially for me going back to rugby and it took a couple of years of playing again and all being ok to fully trust it.

17 years later and the knee is strong and I still play when I can. Last game was in January and I got a neck injury so missed a few weeks before the lockdown started anyway. I have had another op on my other knee, probably as a result of compensating a bit for 15 years post the ACL reconstruction.

Basically its painful, boring and repetitive but if you have a good physio who guides you through everything step by step you will be fine.

Good luck with the rehab.

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #9 on: May 4, 2020, 09:11:21 pm »
I think I just about covered all my experience with you on Twiiter ;)

My physio sessions started the day after the op, I was back on my bike and running after 3 or four months,

Doc told me not to play team sports for at least a year but at my age I gave them up anyway :P

It's now a couple of years later and although I still get the odd twinge in the knee (probably an age thing though) I'm back doing everything I was doing before the injury.

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #10 on: May 4, 2020, 09:17:21 pm »
https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=308569.40

Some 6 weeks ago I had surgery on my knee,ACL replacement and meniscus tidy up.

Before I had the op I did some google research and seen all these videos of people walking without crutches and leg braces just a couple of days later.

What a load of bollocks that was.

For the first 2 weeks I was using two crutches and the leg brace 24hrs a day.

Week 3 still leg brace 24hrs but with one crutch.

After 4 weeks I was finally allowed to adjust  the brace so I could bend the knee slightly so I could then walk with no crutches.

Week 5 - slowly build up to walk etc with no brace and could finally sleep without it.

Week 6 and can now get back on the bike albeit just indoors and only for 10/15 mins easy.

For the first 4 weeks I had physio 5 days a week, now on 3 days a week but more intensive.

Went to see the surgeon last week and he was well pleased with my progress and send my recovery time was above average.     

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #11 on: May 4, 2020, 09:41:22 pm »
Loads of bran, pogoing and prune juice, usually gets me more regular.

Haven't got a clue abar knees.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: May 5, 2020, 07:46:46 pm »
https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=308569.40

Awesome! Cheers Tony!

The first one about walking without crutches the first few days... So true! Walking is my new everest these days

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2020, 02:09:10 pm »
About 3 weeks ago, I sorted through all of our DVDs (over 700 for an idea of how long this took!). I sat on my bed watching TV crossed legged, surrounded by DVDs - cleaned the boxes, made sure DVDs in the right cases and them put them into piles. It was a lot of sitting on the bed cross legged and then reaching down to the floor on my right side for hours.

Since that time, I have had really bad hip pain on my right side.

We have a footstool thing with our sofa that I sometimes sit on when the football is on or if on Zoom, with the laptop on the coffee table, so it's alot lower than a sofa and when I stand up from that, immediately I get pain in my left hip.

Since the right sided hip pain 3 weeks ago, I have been struggling to run. I get about 2.5-3 km into the run and I am in pain. It's like a burning effect on the outside of the thigh/hip. I went out on Monday to test it, did a 6km loop and was largely fine - felt it but was able to run through it at an easy pace. Today I decided to do a smaller 4k loop at a fast pace to try it out and I got 2.5km in and had to stop. I was start/stop the whole way home.

Any ideas? It feels like it burns kind of. But not like a burn when you exercise and you push through it. It doesn't feel like something stretching could solve :/