Author Topic: Darwin Núñez (Darwin Gabriel Núñez Ribeiro)  (Read 985294 times)

Online Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Darwin Núñez (Darwin Gabriel Núñez Ribeiro)
« Reply #14200 on: Today at 07:10:18 pm »
‘Variance’ is just a nice way of distilling all the other things people are talking about (shot selection, composure, decision making) and removing all player agency in these situations. There’s a good example of it just this season where Michael Owen (he was good at scoring goals like) was critical of Nunez after the Brentford game because even though Nunez scored he felt the shot selection (lobbing the keeper) was an insane choice of shot. Fast forward a few weeks and Nunez tries the same thing against Atalanta and fluffs his lines. Variance ennit, he scored one and missed one. But it ignores the question of whether it was even the right shot selection to begin with, or could he have rounded the keeper etc? All those other factors that come into play but we’re sat here pretending don’t.

Owen quote:
That finish from Darwin Nunez yesterday was insane. I can’t stop watching it. And I can’t begin to explain how difficult a skill that is. Moving at pace, the ball running away from you, being inside the box with no room for error. Incredible. BUT, it is also further proof that if he is to get closer to becoming the great player many people think he can be, he has to adapt his way of thinking. I mean, to even consider that finish is madness. It’s a 1 in 10, 2 in 10 finish at best. Learning to slot, dink or go round the GK is a far more productive way to score and will increase his chances to 4 or 5 in 10, thus massively increasing his end return. I’m really not trying to rain on his parade as that goal was pure class. But I’d rather see it when Liverpool are 3-0 up, not at 0-0😂

Online Paul_h

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14201 on: Today at 07:29:30 pm »
to be fair to Nunez, the current 1st choice front 3 don't have much chemistry, synergy between them. They are almost playing as individuals, and don't trust each other.
Salah is going for the golden boot, and would rather shoot from anywhere in case it deflects and goes in. Its not a bad goal to have, but the team should come first.
Diaz is showboating to catch the eye of the 2 big Spanish teams., its almost like he would rather go for the most difficult route to the goal for himself, fail, than set up a teammate.

Having said that, Nunez composure can be improved for sure, he's snatching at chances, and often doesn't relize he has more time than he thinks. Its almost like his brain is thinking too fast for his body to keep up. Reckon he needs cut down on that  mate he drinks all day..full of caffeine that.. ;D

« Last Edit: Today at 08:01:11 pm by Paul_h »

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #14202 on: Today at 07:45:35 pm »
‘Variance’ is just a nice way of distilling all the other things people are talking about (shot selection, composure, decision making) and removing all player agency in these situations.

It isn’t
Variance means variation from a mean (that will be reverted to) 
What we know is that in top level football finishing reverts to the mean with a known margin of variance … again this is proven out which is why xg works

Shot selection, for example, is almost entirely player agency and so bad shot selection over time wouldn’t be variation from a mean it would be a worse player

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14203 on: Today at 07:47:11 pm »
It's a matter of very little relevance because even if it did cost us the title (it hasn't) its impossible to control how many "big chances" (whatever the arbitrary measure of that is)  you convert... so there's nothing you could do or put in place to increase your chances of higher big chance conversion next season

Perhaps the most hilarious post in this thread.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #14204 on: Today at 07:48:46 pm »
Perhaps the most hilarious post in this thread.

Feel free to explain how you’d do it …. But not in here to big football clubs
If you can do it you’ll make millions

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14205 on: Today at 07:56:15 pm »
Feel free to explain how you’d do it …. But not in here to big football clubs
If you can do it you’ll make millions

Cloning prime Messi 4 times and playing him as the left forward, right forward, false 9 and most attacking 8 would do it. If anyone can do it, Mikey can do it.

Online skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14206 on: Today at 09:09:18 pm »
Sorry we were 1-0 down, then we got it to 2-1 then missed a bucket full of chances. I never said Nunez missed the big chances in the FA Cup, I said the team did. I said Nunez over the season has missed the most chances by a significant margin hence why he's being discussed.

The chance against Atalanta at 0-0 where he should have rounded the keeper is a good example for Nunez.

Interesting you say the Trent 5 v 2, it was a poor pass from Salah which made his chance harder than it should have been. You also missed Nunez's miss against Utd but again that wasn't the easiest chance due to poor passes in the counter.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1779947344240521502

Lots of examples, as a team we need to be far better.

Thanks for the examples!  Appreciate it.  I think we're mostly on the same page.  I get frustrated by some of these misses, and it goes beyond stats really, so I do get your concern on the big chance misses.

The Atalanta one is a good one as that could've changed the tone entirely.

There's always just something off with everyone, with Darwin no exception.  Perhaps we were just blessed for a while with a truly dominant front 3 and also with great strikers in our history.
King Kenny.