Author Topic: The 2021 Formula 1 “Gives you whinge…”  (Read 314878 times)

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
Re: The 2021 Formula 1 “Gives you whinge…”
« Reply #4520 on: September 14, 2021, 11:13:26 pm »
Why don't they use that camera in the broadcast? Don't think I've ever seen it.

They have been experimenting with new cameras alot this season. Alonso and Russell have been testing with helmet cams that give you a driver's eye view of the race.

It will problem roll out to some sort of app before they let broadcasters have control

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #4521 on: September 15, 2021, 10:22:56 pm »
Mark claiming that Hamilton is exaggerating having neck pain..

He did have a car land on him, give him a break
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #4522 on: September 15, 2021, 10:56:54 pm »
More from us new American fans:

Alanis King
@alanisnking
If I didn't know anything about Formula One and you asked me what these men did for a living, I would probably say this

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4523 on: September 15, 2021, 11:05:31 pm »
Haha some of those are right on the money.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #4524 on: September 16, 2021, 12:36:30 am »
Local DILF  :lmao
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Online Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4525 on: September 16, 2021, 08:41:24 am »
More from us new American fans:

Alanis King
@alanisnking
If I didn't know anything about Formula One and you asked me what these men did for a living, I would probably say this

I love it that Verstappen is middle management. For some reason, that tickled me

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #4526 on: September 16, 2021, 12:09:46 pm »
Aston Martin unchanged for next season

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4527 on: September 16, 2021, 12:28:05 pm »

Makes sense.

Heard they still haven't given back their 3rd place trophy from Hungary.

Online paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #4528 on: September 16, 2021, 12:33:35 pm »
Makes sense.

Heard they still haven't given back their 3rd place trophy from Hungary.
hahaha brilliant
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #4529 on: September 16, 2021, 12:46:13 pm »
Glad Vettel is staying at Aston. He's someone I've struggled to like for a number of years, at Red Bull he was ruthless and calculating and at Ferrari he seemed to have a crisis in confidence and became reckless.

But at Aston he seems to be more relaxed and he’s now letting his personality shine through and he actually seems a genuinely nice guy.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4530 on: September 17, 2021, 04:03:04 pm »
While we have a week's gap, who, from the past, would be in your ultimate 20-driver line-up?  And in which 10 cars (don't necessarily base this on speed, just your favourites) past or present?  So two drivers per classic F1 car, but you can't put a driver in one they actually raced in.  So no Senna or Prost in an MP4/4 or Mansell in an FW14B.

I know I made the question, but I'm going off to have a think myself.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #4531 on: September 17, 2021, 08:19:23 pm »

You could have just said Vettel to stay at Aston Martin as they sure as hell ain’t getting rid of Lance Stroll!
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4532 on: September 17, 2021, 08:59:15 pm »
Believe Netflix were filming with McLaren at Monza which should make for a really good episode (apart from the parts where Will Buxton is chatting absolute shite)

Online paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4533 on: September 17, 2021, 09:57:50 pm »
While we have a week's gap, who, from the past, would be in your ultimate 20-driver line-up?  And in which 10 cars (don't necessarily base this on speed, just your favourites) past or present?  So two drivers per classic F1 car, but you can't put a driver in one they actually raced in.  So no Senna or Prost in an MP4/4 or Mansell in an FW14B.

I know I made the question, but I'm going off to have a think myself.

Senna and Hamilton in a Jordan 191

M. Schumacher and mansell in McLaren MP4/4

Hakkinen and Montoya in 2004 Ferrari

Vettel and prost in 2006 Renault

Lauda and hunt in 2013 red bull

Gilles Villeneuve and Fernando Alonso in a 95 Benetton

Need a few more

Offline kloppismydad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4534 on: September 18, 2021, 05:23:09 am »
You could have just said Vettel to stay at Aston Martin as they sure as hell ain’t getting rid of Lance Stroll!

I'm aware Lance Stroll is in F1 due to daddy's money but how good of a driver is he? I've seen glimpses of him being fairly good, much better than the likes of Mazepin, Albon (barely), and others but I don't think he's as good as the likes of the obvious drivers and others like Gasly, Checo, Sainz.

What is everyone's opinion about Lance Stroll as a driver?
Mark my words. Top 8 will be a massive struggle.
We won't make any big signings this season and we will go back to being a top4 club.

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4535 on: September 18, 2021, 07:46:38 am »
Bang average.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #4536 on: September 18, 2021, 08:27:01 am »

Medium-good in the wet, mediocre in the dry. Good enough to be on the grid and would collect some on-merit podiums in a top car but definitely not the kind of prospect he seemed to be during his F3 days.
Linudden.

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #4537 on: September 18, 2021, 09:33:24 am »
he's not exactly world champion material but he's also nowhere near as shit as some make him out to be.

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4538 on: September 18, 2021, 10:57:33 am »
he's not exactly world champion material but he's also nowhere near as shit as some make him out to be.

He's been in F1 for 5 years now and the only team mate he's managed to beat is Sirotkin who was dreadful. He's losing to Seb this year despite Seb having 3 or 4 DNF's. He's got 1 pole and 2 or 3 podiums which all came about as a result races with drama and safety cars / red flags. In fairness to him maybe he's got a good eye for avoiding the big accidents / dramas. He wouldn't have a race seat without his Dad's money. Same goes for Mazepin.

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #4539 on: September 18, 2021, 11:02:57 am »
He's been in F1 for 5 years now and the only team mate he's managed to beat is Sirotkin who was dreadful. He's losing to Seb this year despite Seb having 3 or 4 DNF's. He's got 1 pole and 2 or 3 podiums which all came about as a result races with drama and safety cars / red flags. In fairness to him maybe he's got a good eye for avoiding the big accidents / dramas. He wouldn't have a race seat without his Dad's money. Same goes for Mazepin.

pick and choose whatever stats you like to back up your argument mate.

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4540 on: September 18, 2021, 11:17:28 am »
There’s no better measure of performance than a head to head with the other side of the garage. It’s been used in here to beat Bottas with for years.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #4541 on: September 18, 2021, 11:24:19 am »
I think he’s at the better end of the pay drivers….but there’s no way he’s one of the top 20 F1 drivers who could be in a car right now
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4542 on: September 18, 2021, 12:17:53 pm »
I'm aware Lance Stroll is in F1 due to daddy's money but how good of a driver is he? I've seen glimpses of him being fairly good, much better than the likes of Mazepin, Albon (barely), and others but I don't think he's as good as the likes of the obvious drivers and others like Gasly, Checo, Sainz.

It gets complicated, he definitely wouldn’t be there without his dads money, but to a greater or lesser extent that’s true for a lot of drivers at some point in their career because it’s not a cheap sport to get into even as a kid or at the junior levels (and let’s not forget how many past and current drivers have fathers in motorsport), and then you have ones like Tsonda are probably only in F1 because he’s Japanese and has Honda’s backing although obviously Stroll Sr took it to another level by buying an entire F1 team.

I’m terms of talent for me hes probably somewhere between 10-15 if we ranked the drivers in terms of talent on the grid.

Edit: Thinking about that, I’m maybe be long a bit generous there.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 12:19:34 pm by west_london_red »
Thinking is overrated.

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #4543 on: September 18, 2021, 12:54:33 pm »
It gets complicated, he definitely wouldn’t be there without his dads money, but to a greater or lesser extent that’s true for a lot of drivers at some point in their career because it’s not a cheap sport to get into even as a kid or at the junior levels (and let’s not forget how many past and current drivers have fathers in motorsport), and then you have ones like Tsonda are probably only in F1 because he’s Japanese and has Honda’s backing although obviously Stroll Sr took it to another level by buying an entire F1 team.

I’m terms of talent for me hes probably somewhere between 10-15 if we ranked the drivers in terms of talent on the grid.

Edit: Thinking about that, I’m maybe be long a bit generous there.

seems about right. as things stand now I'd say he's better than:

mazepin
schumacher (obviously he has far more potential though)
latifi
tsunoda
giovinazzi

and kubica too if you want to include him. though kubica would have been much better had he not had his rallying faux pas

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4544 on: September 18, 2021, 01:06:41 pm »
There are probably 4 class's of F1 driver

World class
Able to get more out of their car than they probably should
Get just about what the car can do
Mazepin :P

Stroll is just about in the 3rd class

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4545 on: September 18, 2021, 03:33:14 pm »
Why don't they use that camera in the broadcast? Don't think I've ever seen it.

I've seen them used in MotoGP before, they're brilliant, we also have Gyroscopic cameras for when the bike is leaning, keeps the picture level
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4546 on: September 18, 2021, 03:54:57 pm »
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #4547 on: September 19, 2021, 08:49:38 am »
I would still venture that Stroll would be a very strong title contender in IndyCar considering drivers who were let's just say it not great in junior categories like Palou and O'Ward are fighting for the title there. That's part of IndyCar's problem, the racing is great but the quality of driving is so low that Ericsson has won multiple races in one season.

So, I would still say that Stroll is the best open wheel driver from the US/Canada region but it doesn't say much nowadays.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 08:52:13 am by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline kloppismydad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4548 on: September 19, 2021, 08:56:50 am »
I would still venture that Stroll would be a very strong title contender in IndyCar considering drivers who were let's just say it not great in junior categories like Palou and O'Ward are fighting for the title there. That's part of IndyCar's problem, the racing is great but the quality of driving is so low that Ericsson has won multiple races in one season.

So, I would still say that Stroll is the best open wheel driver from the US/Canada region but it doesn't say much nowadays.

Funny you mention Ericsson since I'm rewatching the episode with him and Leclerc on Drive to Survive right now, and it leads me to seek my next driver opinion:

Charles Leclerc.

Where does he rate among the drivers in F1? He's deservedly driving in F1, that's for certain but is he that good that Ferrari gave him a huge contract? Ferrari haven't been that great in the last couple of years but they're still a powerhouse.

Where does Leclerc rank in comparison with Verstappen, Russel, Lando, Gasly?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 08:58:48 am by kloppismydad »
Mark my words. Top 8 will be a massive struggle.
We won't make any big signings this season and we will go back to being a top4 club.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #4549 on: September 19, 2021, 09:03:48 am »
I think if you adjust for equipment had Leclerc is as good as Hamilton at this very moment but I'm out before the Hamilton dunk brigade shows up :boxhead You're not supposed to be able to even take a restart at P2 in a Ferrari at Monza this year and only lost the podium due to the low battery recharge of the engine meaning he was a sitting duck.

He's better than Gasly with ease not even a contest, for sure faster over a long run than Russell and is doing better versus Sainz than Norris did.

Don't think anyone is better than Verstappen right now though. He's got a couple of tenths on everybody right now but not sure that'd still be the case in a different car than a Red Bull.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 09:09:00 am by Linudden »
Linudden.

Online sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4550 on: September 19, 2021, 09:46:51 am »
Funny you mention Ericsson since I'm rewatching the episode with him and Leclerc on Drive to Survive right now, and it leads me to seek my next driver opinion:

Charles Leclerc.

Where does he rate among the drivers in F1? He's deservedly driving in F1, that's for certain but is he that good that Ferrari gave him a huge contract? Ferrari haven't been that great in the last couple of years but they're still a powerhouse.

Where does Leclerc rank in comparison with Verstappen, Russel, Lando, Gasly?

For me I'd go:

1. Verstappen
2. Russell
3. Leclerc
4. Norris
5. Gasly

I think there's very little between 2 to 4 though. Any of the first 4 are world champions in the right car for me. I think ferrari are right to have pinned their future hopes on Leclerc too, he's a top driver.

Lando is having the best season of the lot for me based on where he should be and where he actually is in the Championship but I wouldn't put him higher until he's doing this for longer.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #4551 on: September 19, 2021, 09:56:49 am »
the future of f1 as it is does seem pretty bright.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4552 on: September 21, 2021, 05:45:27 pm »
Martin Whitmarsh is returning to F1, joining Aston Martin.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #4553 on: September 21, 2021, 07:11:16 pm »
Martin Whitmarsh is returning to F1, joining Aston Martin.

My conclusion for a former McLaren boss to join AM is that he must've been bored  ;D Wonder how he, old man Stroll and Sznaufer will avoid running over one another though.
Linudden.

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #4554 on: September 23, 2021, 10:28:44 am »
somewhat predictably, if still unfortunately, mazepin is staying at haas.

as is schumacher.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #4555 on: September 23, 2021, 10:39:49 am »
somewhat predictably, if still unfortunately, mazepin is staying at haas.

as is schumacher.

A touch surprised at that - though Ferrari would want to put him in something more competitive and that Haas would be happy to separate Schumacher and Mazepin.  Leaves only the Alfa seat, doesn't it?  I don't think that Giovinazzi has been particularly poor, nor that he deserves 'dropping', but I can see why Ferrari might want to use their leverage to get a future prospect in - Giovinazzi probably hasn't show that he's that driver.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #4556 on: September 23, 2021, 10:42:40 am »
Alfa seem to want the Zhou money but Giovinazzi going to consecutive Q3's and Piastri still leading F2 over him are making it hard for them.

I assume they want a bit of under the table money to keep Gio there. Ferrari have no interest in being the Alpine driver academy for a driver not good enough to be on the grid on merit so to speak. F2 looks more depleted than ever now that the stars of the past few years have firmly moved on. Piastri would deserve the seat more though, since he's won consecutive championships and is an F2 rookie now. I suppose the lack of demand for Aussie F1 drivers will be a big issue for him though. Alpine won't take him straightaway and where is he supposed to land?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 10:46:06 am by Linudden »
Linudden.

Online paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4557 on: September 23, 2021, 10:55:40 am »
Giovanazzi had some decent quali runs recently, might be worth another go

very surprised schumacher and mazespin stay put

speaking of schumachers what did you lot think of his netflix

great insight into him, could have been more (I dont mean show current pics or videos of him) but only so much one can cram into an hour and a half

The Schumacher Hakkinen rivalry really was fantastic wasnt it?

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #4558 on: September 23, 2021, 10:59:16 am »
giovinazzi has had 3(?) years now to show that he isn't good enough. his recent quali speed shouldn't mask that.

Online paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4559 on: September 23, 2021, 11:49:08 am »
giovinazzi has had 3(?) years now to show that he isn't good enough. his recent quali speed shouldn't mask that.
true

if you put a gun to my head id say in all honesty i dont rate him