Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 387682 times)

Offline Dr Manhattan

• I discovered and developed fucktron. That's right, me. It's my word and, frankly, anyone trying to take credit for it is nothing short of a fucktron.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Officially the 7th best poster you'll see on here.
Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #40 on: October 8, 2010, 05:41:23 pm »
That's ilgeal, I'm gonan report you.

I knew someone was gonan say that.
I trust the King, but if we lose a few more on the trot now - he may have to step aside, and we have to purchase another manager in the middle of the season. If we are relegated, this could be the end of our ambitions to win any title the next 100 years.

Offline Myshkin

• Kopite
« Reply #41 on: October 8, 2010, 05:46:04 pm »
You on a private torrent site Dr Manhattan?

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2010, 11:18:25 pm »
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 11:20:14 pm by Macphisto80 »

Offline Jack the Red

• Legacy Fan
  • ...Never forget...
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2010, 06:30:53 pm »
I hear the UK version is going to be an "extended director's cut".

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2010, 04:13:02 am »
The first episode is already floating about the internet, and I just found it on Youtube by accident which was a very nice surprise. Not sure if the pre-air episode will be any different to the official release, but regardless, it's fucking fantastic. It's out there via torrent and on megavideo just in case this link gets ripped down anytime soon, which no doubt it will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjWkvUjPQT0

Enjoy.

Offline Jack the Red

• Legacy Fan
  • ...Never forget...
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2010, 10:54:15 am »
Just heard about the leak. I might try and wait, but I'm an impatient bastard.

Offline ollick

• Huge Dick..and a Big Knob too!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Arghhhh
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2010, 11:45:54 am »
Just watched the first episode on youtube, definatley gonna watch it on telly too, excellent start, showed more in one episode that a whole series of Lost would have, hope that pace keeps up.
Why do people quote other people for the sigs?  What' the point?

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2010, 05:44:30 pm »
Just watched the first episode on youtube, definatley gonna watch it on telly too, excellent start, showed more in one episode that a whole series of Lost would have, hope that pace keeps up.
If you've read the comic books, the show more or less follows it exactly, or almost exactly. Even some of a dialogue is the same in places. The thing about the story in the comics is that it's pace doesn't relent at all. Maybe in the last few issues it's slowed down a little, but some of the scenarios the characters find themselves in should make for some amazing TV if it continues on as the momentum keeps building.

Must say, I was very impressed with the effects in this. It puts to shame most of the bigger budget films in the genre. The scene between Rick and the bycicle girl was brilliantly done.

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2010, 10:39:27 pm »
Nice one. Might hold off and watch it on Halloween though. Just now i won't have to wait until the day after. Has it been picked up by anyone in the UK yet?

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2010, 12:17:53 am »
Nice one. Might hold off and watch it on Halloween though. Just now i won't have to wait until the day after. Has it been picked up by anyone in the UK yet?
FX have, and I'm fairly certain I seen it advertised for Sky 1.

Offline Jack the Red

• Legacy Fan
  • ...Never forget...
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2010, 09:02:58 am »
Watched it last night. I have to say, it was fucking brilliant. Can't wait til I can see it in HD.

Offline Mivi

• Strawberry-flavoured Jayne Torvill ; 3,000,000 not out
  • Legacy Fan
  • By the way..........It's been emotional.
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2010, 07:37:05 pm »

Deffo FX

Starts November 5th in the UK
It's cause he loks like a badger. Women fucking love badgers.

Offline AdamR

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2010, 07:54:01 pm »
downloaded and gonna watch it this weekend

looks great

Offline litliper

• Legacy Fan
  • Does anybody wanna buy a country?
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2010, 06:38:30 pm »
Fucking loved that pilot. Epic stuff.
"My country is the world, and my religion to do good." (Thomas Paine)

Offline ianfb25

• Legacy Fan
  • KK7
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2010, 06:40:19 pm »
Be waiting till I can HD DL it. Gonna be special this, on the best channel for TV drama currently too.

Offline Ginamos

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2010, 07:22:14 pm »
Enjoyed the pilot episode, even though it was hugely derivative of the master post-apocalypse story, "The Day Of The Triffids" and spawn like "28 Days Later".

Andrew Lincoln was excellent, the plot is well set up, expecting good things.

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2010, 01:09:57 am »
watched the first ep that's been leaked for a bit now, last night. Have to say i was really impressed. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with this story. I haven't even heard of the comics, let alone read them. If anyone's read them, do they have a good plot and definitive end? My main worry for this series is that the writers don't know before hand where it's all supposed to head. It's happened with a few series's that i've enjoyed until the final few episodes where it all goes shit. I'd love for this to avoid it.

Anyway, i digress. Great, great start to the show. Loved it!
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2010, 03:37:39 am »
watched the first ep that's been leaked for a bit now, last night. Have to say i was really impressed. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with this story. I haven't even heard of the comics, let alone read them. If anyone's read them, do they have a good plot and definitive end? My main worry for this series is that the writers don't know before hand where it's all supposed to head. It's happened with a few series's that i've enjoyed until the final few episodes where it all goes shit. I'd love for this to avoid it.

Anyway, i digress. Great, great start to the show. Loved it!
There is no end to the comics. Well, not yet anyway. The story is still going. As for the plot, there isn't really any apart from the group's day-to day struggle to adapt and survive the world of the living dead. Ther's a few big set peices and you really aren't certain what will happen next or what will become of the characters. Rick Grimes is now vastly different to the person you seen in the pilot episode. Over the course of time, the things they see and are forced to do changes them. The Walking Dead is more to do with character development rather than shock horror and zombies. I won't give anything away, but there's some parts in the comic that are sure push the envelope for TV if they are converted properly.

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2010, 03:43:29 am »
There is no end to the comics. Well, not yet anyway. The story is still going. As for the plot, there isn't really any apart from the group's day-to day struggle to adapt and survive the world of the living dead. Ther's a few big set peices and you really aren't certain what will happen next or what will become of the characters. Rick Grimes is now vastly different to the person you seen in the pilot episode. Over the course of time, the things they see and are forced to do changes them. The Walking Dead is more to do with character development rather than shock horror and zombies. I won't give anything away, but there's some parts in the comic that are sure push the envelope for TV if they are converted properly.
Thanks for that mate, that's interesting. I've no problem with a show being more about character development, as long as it's believable (if you know what i mean)

Still, as far as first impressions go, this is one of the best for me, really, really enjoyed it. I thought the musical score for the ep was amazingly good if i'm honest, really helped to set the tone properly, and also thought it was very well acted. Dunno the names of the characters (i'm shit like that) but the bloke who helped grimes (the main guy, is that right?) who had his kid was fucking brilliant.

Spoiler
when he was having trouble trying to shoot his wife was amazing i thought, very believably acted
[close]
Gratitude

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2010, 11:24:53 am »
I think I'm going to stockpile these, catch up on some other shows, put off the absolute quality for later.

Is it worth reading the comics before seeing the show? Or is the adaption going to be that faithful that you're really not going to miss out. I'll probably end up finding them anyway, just to see if there's any discrepancies, extra back-stories, etc.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline Myshkin

• Kopite
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2010, 11:27:43 am »
Is it airing in the U.S. tonight? I didn't bother with the leaked episode 'cos I guessed it wasn't good quality 720p.

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2010, 11:56:03 am »
Yeah 10pm US premiere tonight, so about... 17 hours from now.

Offline Ginamos

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2010, 12:07:53 pm »
Yeah 10pm US premiere tonight, so about... 17 hours from now.

Hmm, I might download and watch it again, the pre-release version was quite poor quality.

Also thinking about trying the the comics.

Offline Jack the Red

• Legacy Fan
  • ...Never forget...
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2010, 01:49:27 pm »
I think I'm going to stockpile these, catch up on some other shows, put off the absolute quality for later.

Is it worth reading the comics before seeing the show? Or is the adaption going to be that faithful that you're really not going to miss out. I'll probably end up finding them anyway, just to see if there's any discrepancies, extra back-stories, etc.

From what I've heard, the show isn't going to stick exactly to the story of the comics, rather take the best bits and expand on them. The comics are great in their own right, I'd say read them anyway.

Offline Dr Manhattan

• I discovered and developed fucktron. That's right, me. It's my word and, frankly, anyone trying to take credit for it is nothing short of a fucktron.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2010, 02:59:31 pm »
Thought the pilot was fucking boss. Absolutely spot on in all aspects. The feel of the show is very bleak, as it should be, the effects are terrific, and above all you already give a shit about the few characters you've met. That's the hardest thing to do with any show - make the audience care about them. They managed to do that in just one episode.

The acting is top notch too. Always loved 'Egg' from This Life. ;D
I trust the King, but if we lose a few more on the trot now - he may have to step aside, and we have to purchase another manager in the middle of the season. If we are relegated, this could be the end of our ambitions to win any title the next 100 years.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2010, 03:09:40 pm »
Thanks for that mate, that's interesting. I've no problem with a show being more about character development, as long as it's believable (if you know what i mean)

Still, as far as first impressions go, this is one of the best for me, really, really enjoyed it. I thought the musical score for the ep was amazingly good if i'm honest, really helped to set the tone properly, and also thought it was very well acted. Dunno the names of the characters (i'm shit like that) but the bloke who helped grimes (the main guy, is that right?) who had his kid was fucking brilliant.

Spoiler
when he was having trouble trying to shoot his wife was amazing i thought, very believably acted
[close]
Yeah, Rick Grimes is the main character. He becomes sort of an unwilling leader of a group of survivors.

You're right about the music. The scene with the bicycle girl and Morgan (played by another English actor Lennie James) with the rifle was extremely well done. Normally in horrors of this kind, the zombie is supposed to be the thing that you fear. You don't feel any kind of remorse for them, but in that scene I felt sorry for that one as it dragged itself along the grass as Rick looked at it with a sorrowful expression.

That's the main difference in this show for me. It goes deeper than just your usual shock value that most horrors go for. The thing that annoyed me about the remake of Dawn of the Dead, for example, was that the lead female character at the start had her little daughter take a chunk out of her husband's neck, who then came after her to kill her, yet no more than 10 minutes after this all happened, it was as if she didn't give a fuck about them. She wasn't distraught in any way which wasn't at all believable. A lot of people rated that film highly. That reason alone is why I don't rate it at all.

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2010, 11:50:04 pm »
Yeah, Rick Grimes is the main character. He becomes sort of an unwilling leader of a group of survivors.

You're right about the music. The scene with the bicycle girl and Morgan (played by another English actor Lennie James) with the rifle was extremely well done. Normally in horrors of this kind, the zombie is supposed to be the thing that you fear. You don't feel any kind of remorse for them, but in that scene I felt sorry for that one as it dragged itself along the grass as Rick looked at it with a sorrowful expression.

That's the main difference in this show for me. It goes deeper than just your usual shock value that most horrors go for. The thing that annoyed me about the remake of Dawn of the Dead, for example, was that the lead female character at the start had her little daughter take a chunk out of her husband's neck, who then came after her to kill her, yet no more than 10 minutes after this all happened, it was as if she didn't give a fuck about them. She wasn't distraught in any way which wasn't at all believable. A lot of people rated that film highly. That reason alone is why I don't rate it at all.
I fucking hated the remake of DOTD with an utter passion, and pretty much because after about half an hour i knew that i just wanted to watch them all have horrible deaths, which makes it a shit film.

It was weird watching it as the only thing i've ever seen the bloke who plays grimes in was Teachers and it's difficult to put it out your mind at times ;D Looking forward to the second ep!
Gratitude

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: November 1, 2010, 02:01:30 am »

That's not her daughter it's the neighbours kid, but yeah, I did find it odd that she never mentioned it again. Overall I think the remake is pretty solid in it's own right (and I say this as someone who's favourite film of all time is the original), it's obviously not as good but it's not a shit fest either. The leads are solid, it's quite funny and harrowing at times, there are a number of excellently shot setpieces (the opening 10 minutes are fantastic) and someone accidently gets chopped in half with a chainsaw.

By the way FX are showing Frank Darabonts directors cut of the pilot with extra scenes next Friday night with no adverts.
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: November 1, 2010, 02:05:53 am »
Boss new avatar sir.

Online Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #69 on: November 1, 2010, 12:21:32 pm »
That was excellent. The last 5 minutes were enthralling and tense.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline -Nay-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: November 1, 2010, 05:05:50 pm »
WOW!!! Honest, that was one of the best Pilots I have ever watched

Absolutely brilliant !!!!

Thought the part were he had his wife in his sight was incredible

Cant wait till next weeks now :D

Online Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: November 1, 2010, 05:08:20 pm »
The level of graphic violence considered the network it was on was great too!

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: November 1, 2010, 08:50:47 pm »
Wow, great stuff!

Shame about the poor horsey though. I thought that might have been a thing, him riding about the place like a cowboy.

Offline Dr Manhattan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: November 1, 2010, 10:11:38 pm »
Found this last week, which is a fan made version of the opening credits by Dan Kanemoto, made using the actual comic. It has the music to True Blood over the top of it, so probably couldn't have been used exactly like this, but it just goes to show that there are people out there who really should be consulted when it comes to making things like this.

Compare the two. First up is the actual opening title sequence...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/U0MiQIlUJ_c?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_GB" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/U0MiQIlUJ_c?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_GB</a>

And here's the fan made version...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/phLVlvMKVi8?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_GB" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/phLVlvMKVi8?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_GB</a>

I like the one they've used, it's ok. But the fan made version is much cooler by a long way.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: November 2, 2010, 01:19:24 am »
I did like the fan made version. It's fun and very well done. When I first seen the actual opening sequence, I wasn't that impressed, but now I'd take it over Kenemoto's version any day. Reason being is that it just doesn't fit at all whatsoever to the style and mood of the TV show. It would be ideal for an animated version of the comic, but not a ominous live action show. Also, it's best to keep as little reference to the source material as possible. Splashing the comic images all over the place just before the show starts is detracting from the shows own identity IMO. It's a good intro, but I'm glad they never went near it to use on the series.

Online Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: November 2, 2010, 01:20:06 am »
Where is that music in True Blood?

Online Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: November 2, 2010, 01:22:20 am »
I did like the fan made version. It's fun and very well done. When I first seen the actual opening sequence, I wasn't that impressed, but now I'd take it over Kenemoto's version any day. Reason being is that it just doesn't fit at all whatsoever to the style and mood of the TV show. It would be ideal for an animated version of the comic, but not a ominous live action show. Also, it's best to keep as little reference to the source material as possible. Splashing the comic images all over the place just before the show starts is detracting from the shows own identity IMO. It's a good intro, but I'm glad they never went near it to use on the series.
Agree with that.

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Filmed in front of a live studio audience
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #77 on: November 2, 2010, 01:57:04 am »
Where is that music in True Blood?
Its by Eels, from Hombre Lobo, got used for the end credits on one episode in the first season.

I agree with Macphisto as well, great job, but wrong feel for what they have made, its too quirky the way they have done it, no fanfare and very bleak is the right tone, got to remember they are trying to hook more than the fan boy audience and I think an opening like that would put some people off and cause them to dismiss it as a comic book thing, when its shaping up and trying not to be.

Always liked Andrew Lincoln as well, ever since This Life, even if he is a manc :P
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Jurgen! What is best in life?

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Online Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: November 2, 2010, 02:13:15 am »
I liked him in that Christmas film where he was trying to bang kyra sedgewick

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: November 2, 2010, 02:30:41 am »
I love the fan one, but agree it probably wouldn't match the tone of the show. The one they've gone with doesn't really blow you away, but it'll probably end up growing on me.

Maybe for the closing credits?