Author Topic: Fowler: Prodigal Son Returns - a Great Gamble  (Read 17205 times)

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
Fowler: Prodigal Son Returns - a Great Gamble
« on: January 27, 2006, 05:43:59 pm »
Robbie Fowler is back at Liverpool, reportedly on loan until the end of the season. The Reds are a little short of strikers, and while it appears Fowler is well past his best, this could be the environment where he rediscovers his 'old' self ... if it still lies within him.

When Rafa said he needed to be inventive this winter, he wasn't lying. Djibril Cissé isn't helping himself off the field at least, with his arrest in the last 24 hours for common assault, and you have to wonder what his future holds; as I said the other day, I haven't given up hope on the current number nine, but I don't see the harm it can do to have one of the club's greatest number nines back at Anfield, as part of the attacking roster.               

Of course, it could also end up being a huge anti-climax, but it's not really Liverpool who have anything to lose, given it's a short-term loan deal. It's Fowler, and the regard in which he is held, who is most likely to suffer if things go wrong. In his youth he had comparisons with Ian Rush to contend with; now it will be comparisons with his former self.

Fowler is the finest finisher I've ever seen. I was at Craven Cottage for his first goal for the Reds in 1993, and at Leicester in 2001 for his last, and saw the vast majority in between. So I'm incredibly excited by this news, if fully aware that we are not getting the 21-year-old Fowler, but an altogether different beast.

If the Reds only need a 'finisher' to make the difference, there is none more natural in the game than Fowler; or rather, there was none. Why shouldn't Benítez, with all his own renowned qualities, try to find out if it's still in there? This will without question be the finest side Fowler has ever played in, so he should find chances falling his way. I don't see him being a first choice, but you never know. He would certainly enjoy playing off Peter Crouch.

His leaving Liverpool in October 2001 was a major shock. I remember where I was when I heard the news. But he was also looking far from his best in 2001/02, becoming increasingly peripheral under Gérard Houllier. Having said that, he had contributed 17 goals the season before, many of which were key in securing the Treble and the Champions League spot, and scored a hat-trick at Filbert Street the week before his final appearance in the famous red shirt, when he was ignominiously hauled off at half-time with Liverpool down to ten men against Sunderland.

I never thought I'd see this day. If I'm perfectly honest, I would rather have seen Owen, who still is unquestionably a class act, return if I had to choose between the two former stars. But there's something about the relationship between Liverpool fans and Robbie Fowler that defies a rational explanation. And unlike Owen, there is no massive financial outlay at stake.

Fowler and Liverpool: maybe it is like all those double-acts in history where together a chemistry undoubtedly exists, exceeding the sum of its parts, when apart there is far less to get excited about. Lennon and McCartney are an obvious local example.

Will 'God' only taint the memories we hold so dear? Maybe. But when wearing a red shirt he has an aura, a magic about him, that could lift the players (especially Carra and Gerrard), and certainly lift the fans. In a strange way, it could end up being a masterstroke by Benítez, but that is said in full awareness that it is, first and foremost, a gamble. With Fernando Morientes another class act failing to live up to past glories, it may look even more risky, but there is so little to lose, with no transfer fee involved.

Would Fowler suit Benítez's style of play? Yes. Certainly so at Anfield.

Robbie was at his best when the Reds weren't looking to counter-attack, but played possession football that involved building pressure on the opposition defence. Many of his goals were about reacting first in a crowded penalty area, or finding space in a crowded penalty area. He was not someone who could chase balls over the top, as the Reds increasingly looked to do under Houllier.

He is excellent at linking play, and is an intelligent footballer. As the Reds aim to play intelligent football under Rafa, he therefore has a decent chance of succeeding. He would obviously need to stay fit, and that's something he's had trouble doing for the last eight years, with a succession of often odd collision-based injuries (clattered by Everton keeper, then the hip injury for Leeds) hampering him.

Does he still have the desire and hunger? He's apparently the richest footballer in the country, with more properties than the Queen. He has other priorities in life, with a young family. But maybe he will rediscover his passion, at his spiritual home and without his old manager and assistant manager present.

You know he can handle the pressure of playing in front of the Kop from experience, but this time it'll be different. He was someone who enjoyed the freedom of playing for fun as a kid; as he got older he seemed to be carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders.

I'd give it only a 50-50 chance of success, and maybe that's being generous. Class is permanent, but that doesn't mean I'd want to see Kenny Dalglish brought out of retirement. While class is permanent, fitness is not. Having said that, Fowler is only 30, which is still far from being too old, and has been back playing for Man City for a few weeks, so he'll arrive in decent condition.

But even at 50-50, it's a great gamble to take. I'm happy, I'm hopeful, but above all I'm fascinated. We can only hope it proves a success and leads to a permanent deal, but whatever happens, it will be certainly be interesting.

© Paul Tomkins 2006

The latest reprint of 'Golden Past, Red Future' is available from February 1st. More details: www.paultomkins.com.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Fowler: Prodigal Son Returns - a Great Gamble
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 05:45:17 pm »
once again the penchant for sentimentality and nostalgia has seemingly overswept any rational view here.
I'm not sure he's a Gary Mac figure, providing nous and wisdom. Nor do we necessarily need one right now.
Fowler for me belongs in my memory and he ought to stay there. Thomas Wolfe wrote you can't come home, and though Rushie broke that rule, I'm not sure Robbie is equipped to be the prodical son.
What do we need ? A natural goal scorer ? That our current strike force aren't really doing that great ?

our recent very good run has seen goals and good play. And quick play. And a forward thinking team.
I worry that Robbie is a little like Mori, very talented but the right thing for our team ?
If he were sharp as a nail, why are Manchester City, less blessed with forwards than us, letting him go ?
If he is there to teach, how can you teach instinct ?
He doesn't play like Crouch nor Cisse, so I'd be interested to see him play in our team. But only as a boost. Yet as Rushian says, we are Champions of Europe, what boost do the team need ?
Rafa has never done anything out of popularity, so he must have a good footballing reason, and in that I'll trust him. But I'm not convinced nor over joyous at the return of some god.
Yep.

Offline Scarlet`

• Low profile with wide rims
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96!!!
    • Laconius Arts and Design
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 05:51:07 pm »
Holy shite you're fast :)

I'm going to read this before I comment ;)
If Ayre got £25m out of them he's willing to fuck all the female members of my family on Sunday's.

Offline Mark R

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 05:51:33 pm »
Yes I would have liked Owen too, but 16 million for Owen versus Fowler for nothing is an easy decision to make.  Seems like a win-win for everyone.
YNWA
Mark

Offline Dearg

• Main Stander
  • Beer Monster
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 05:52:54 pm »
Have to say I'm a bit scepticle, but like you say the stakes are minimal, so it has to a be a gamble worth taking right?
“If you play in the final, it's for winning, not for losing”

Offline kevinbrodie

• Anny Roader
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2006, 05:53:23 pm »
great article. Well said. It's a gamble that is well worth taking.
Rafa is my Shankly

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2006, 05:54:05 pm »
If any other manager had signed Fowler again, I'd be hugely sceptical about the motives behind the signing.

However.

Rafael Benitez, ignoring his triumphs and successes, is a shrewd man when it comes to handling players. He's not perfect but he is one of the best in the business.
He knows that just by putting Fowler in the line up, expecting him to score every game, he's going to undo all his good work from this season. I'm sure he's well aware of the risk from Fowler's fitness problems. We've seen to what extent he will go to for a player's fitness (Kewell) and we've seen to what extent he feels he can use a player relative to the situation at hand.

Benitez has shown us that he has the balls to make brave decisions in both signing and jettisoning players, so we don't have to worry about watching a half-fit Fowler wheezing around the field, clear to all and sundry that it's just not working. Spanish fans may also remember how long Carboni managed to play for in La Liga under Benitez - and how quickly his form deteriorated after Ranieri joined.

Fowler could be 20, 30 or 40 but the key man here is Rafa. If Rafa can't get the best out of Fowler, no one can.

I have a feeling that this may be the turning point in our season, hopefully in a good way.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline Helsinki Red

• ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2006, 05:54:16 pm »
Brilliant post Paul! I've over the moon!°

Offline jhogg

• Wikidi woo. Act like a twat. look like a twat
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2006, 05:55:02 pm »
Sounding great :P
JFT 96

Offline neddynoonoo

• Main Stander
  • the future is ours
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2006, 05:55:42 pm »
I TOLD YOU THIS YESTERDAY, BUT KNOW ONE LISTENED.  :butt :butt

Offline The Fletcher Memorial

• Feels mildly violat.................. ed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reality is hard to find
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2006, 05:56:13 pm »
Can someone explain the gamble???
The sky does not know of east or of west;
it is in the minds of men where such distinctions are made, and then they believe them to be true.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2006, 05:56:59 pm »

Alright soft lad turn it in, there were a few of us who knew!!!!
it is in the minds of men where such distinctions are made, and then they believe them to be true.

Offline redhot-robbie

• Kopite
  • and could he play!
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2006, 05:57:05 pm »
Going to cry !! So happy 15goals of robbie this season.  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Sooo happy gonna cry!! Robbie Fowler :D
"What you achieve in life, echoes in eternity"

Offline Scarlet`

• Low profile with wide rims
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96!!!
    • Laconius Arts and Design
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2006, 05:58:50 pm »
Comments time :)

Great article once more...as we've been crying out for a natural finisher the past few matches, we have found one in Robbie Fowler.  Our tactics doesn't REQUIRE pace but pace is more like a RECOMMENDATION.  If we have pace in our game, it would be better for us. 

Watching Fowler score a hattrick and then the winner against Man United is really emotional for a Liverpool fan - even though he was playing for another team.  However, could he do the same for us?  It probably is a gamble but can he finish off the stray ball heading Cisse's way against Man United?  Definately!  If we were 1 - 0 up, it might be a different story (but I think Fowler might be the one charged for his celebrations instead :D but that's okay, he's our Robbie!)
If Ayre got £25m out of them he's willing to fuck all the female members of my family on Sunday's.

Offline koolkamal

• There's a kind of hush
  • Legacy Fan
  • Our dreams are what make us who we are.
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2006, 06:00:35 pm »
Whether or not Fowler is going to work or not time will tell, but just saying it out loud... "and Robbie Fowler scores for Liverpoo" sends shivers down my spine.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them". Walt Disney

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2006, 06:01:41 pm »

You're hardly the Oracle, there were 30 page threads about it on TLW and YNWA !!

Offline Paul_h

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2006, 06:02:31 pm »
if it can give our current strikers a kick up the nether regions, then it would have been worthwhile...

Offline ksparks063

• Anny Roader
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2006, 06:05:14 pm »
Can someone explain the gamble???

putting fowler in the game as a sub with 15 20 min left and the cop going crazy, i dont see too muc of a gamble.  i also believe the only person who would be able to get the best out of Robbie is Benitez, but also, the city of liverpool

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2006, 06:06:33 pm »

Would Fowler suit Benítez's style of play? Yes. Certainly so at Anfield.

Robbie was at his best when the Reds weren't looking to counter-attack, but played possession football that involved building pressure on the opposition defence. Many of his goals were about reacting first in a crowded penalty area, or finding space in a crowded penalty area. He was not someone who could chase balls over the top, as the Reds increasingly looked to do under Houllier.

Think that is the main point with him signing- we can get in good positions but really no-one is there to finish them off- he won't need to be quick on his feet- but quick with his mind which IMO he never has lost.
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Offline bellinter

• Infamous author of 'The Joy of Hate'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2006, 06:06:49 pm »
I just hope it works out. I really dont want to think about it not doing so though.

Welcome back Robbie

Can't wait to hear the reception he gets!!
In ceremonies of the horsemen, even the pawn must hold a grudge.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2006, 06:08:03 pm »
There is no gamble!!!

Offline bellinter

• Infamous author of 'The Joy of Hate'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2006, 06:09:06 pm »
In ceremonies of the horsemen, even the pawn must hold a grudge.

Offline Rizla

• Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Once a knob always a knob
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2006, 06:12:54 pm »
Well there was a part of me that thought that this was a possible scenario, but at the same time quite suprised someone as hard headed as Rafa would go down this route but...

Whilst remaining sceptical for now, at the same time there is the growing impression that there is more to gain than lose in the short term with this. He may well turn out to be a shadow of his former self but one thing he wont lack this time is effort and desire...if he stays injury free and out of the bars, and hopefully an older and wiser Fowler we have now back on board from the one that left us under Houllier

Have no expectations, but plenty of hope that this could turn out to be a shrewd move by Rafa. He's rarely been wrong before, he may be this time but maybe, just maybe... :)

« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 06:16:55 pm by Rizla »

Offline RI-Red

• Legacy Fan
  • What the fuck is Goony Goo Goo?
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2006, 06:13:49 pm »
To date Robbie Fowler has scored 171 goals in 330 Liverpool appearances.

His last appearance for Liverpool was against Sunderland at Anfield on November 25th 2001.

His last goal for Liverpool was the one that completed his hat-trick at Leicester City on October 20th 2001.

Robbie made a goalscoring debut for Liverpool with an effort against Fulham at Craven Cottage in 1993.

In the second leg he scored his first goals on home turf as he hit all five in the 5-0 win over Fulham.

Fowler has scored nine hat-tricks to date for Liverpool with seven of them coming in the Premiership.

He is sixth in the all-time list of record goalscorers for Liverpool, one goal behind fifth placed Kenny Dalglish.

The Young Player of the Year in both 1995 and 1996, he scored 18 goals in his debut season, and became the first Liverpool player for six years to pass the 30 goal mark in 1994-95.

In February 2001 he became the first Liverpool captain to lift a trophy since 1995, holding aloft the Worthington Cup in Cardiff, after he had spectacularly opened the scoring against Birmingham.

Robbie holds the record for the fastest Premiership hat-trick against Arsenal in 1994. His treble against the Gunners came in four minutes and 33 seconds.

Stolen from Offal Site http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N151280060127-1734.htm
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 06:15:27 pm by RI-Red »
That ginger haired twat looks like a proper manc c*nt!

Offline Buster 'Hook Hand' Bluth

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm a monster!
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2006, 06:21:58 pm »
There is no gamble!!!

All signings are gambles to a degree. If Robbie plays and plays badly during his time back at the club, it will mean another striker will have been omitted to house him. If any player you field doesn't do the business, it doesn't matter how much they cost, as a manager you may pay the consequences.

So it is a gamble, but not in a financial sense.
Who is this man, where is he from?
Defenders ask "Where has he gone?"
He fools them all, there is no doubt
This is the man this song's about,
And like the Kop, you'll hear me shout
"Give it to Heighway."

Offline Wendi

• Kopite
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2006, 06:24:14 pm »
I have an alternate view.

Fowlers finished.

It wont even be interesting.

And its not risk free. We're paying wages I assume which would have to be at least 3/4 of a million for 6 months. Thats probably more than what we haggled over for Simao in the Summer. Count the pennies eh Rick?!  :butt

Something thats free is only useful if you can use it. Otherwise its tits on a bull. Im not sure a broken down old footballer fits that bill. Albeit one who was brilliant. Was.

Sack Parry.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2006, 06:25:17 pm »
RAFA: ROBBIE CAN TAKE US TO A NEW LEVEL
Paul Rogers 27 January 2006

Rafael Benitez has spoken with delight about the signing of Liverpool legend Robbie Fowler and admitted that he's never seen a player happier to join a club. 
Speaking at Anfield on Friday night, Benitez told liverpoolfc.tv: "My idea is for Liverpool to take one step forward and I think Robbie can help us make that step.

"We have signed a player with so much passion for this football club and I think he will act as an example to every player here in how much he loves Liverpool.

"It is a boost for the team, a boost for the supporters and a boost for Robbie himself. I'm not sure I've ever seen a player quite so happy to be joining a club before.

"I think it's a signing that will lift everyone who loves Liverpool Football Club because Robbie is a great finisher who can help us reach a new level.

"He hasn't been signed because he loves the club; he's been signed because he's one of the best goalscorers ever to play in the Premiership and he can score goals for us right now. He's got a wealth of experience and he gives us more attacking options. He's a different kind of striker to what we have at the club and that is good for the team.

"People can talk about having a lot of money to buy players but we've just signed a player with a passion and a heart for this club that no amount of money can buy. We are close to a very high level right now but with Robbie we can go even higher." 

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N151283060127-1816.htm

Offline Buster 'Hook Hand' Bluth

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm a monster!
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2006, 06:28:34 pm »
And its not risk free. We're paying wages I assume which would have to be at least 3/4 of a million for 6 months. Thats probably more than what we haggled over for Simao in the Summer. Count the pennies eh Rick?!  :butt

It was a £3m transfer fee hike with Simao, on top of the £10m we'd already offered. That's £13m. PLUS Simao's wages. So no comparison, really.
Who is this man, where is he from?
Defenders ask "Where has he gone?"
He fools them all, there is no doubt
This is the man this song's about,
And like the Kop, you'll hear me shout
"Give it to Heighway."

Offline Hattori Hanzo

• Thinks people playing with lego shouldn't throw stones.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2006, 06:31:01 pm »

Fowlers finished.

Something thats free is only useful if you can use it. Otherwise its tits on a bull. Im not sure a broken down old footballer fits that bill. Albeit one who was brilliant. Was.

unless we are paying him 156k per week, then your talking bullspit

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2006, 06:32:39 pm »
There is no gamble!!!
Totally agree with that, a proven goalscorer and still is. 

He's got some unfinished business at the club he and we love..

Offline Hattori Hanzo

• Thinks people playing with lego shouldn't throw stones.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2006, 06:33:14 pm »
Isnt it obvious to everyone why we have signed fowler?

Passion, experience, lethal finnish.

His pride for playing here will rub off on everyone - rafa has always spoken about MENTALITY - well this is a signing that will set out mentality on the right track... it sure aint because of sentimental reasons, im pretty sure rafa coulnt give a shit.

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2006, 06:34:15 pm »
Why don't we all just give the lad a chance before we start saying he's past it.

I welcome him back home. But that welcome will only stay as long as he does the business.

If it doesnt work out then the summer will see others in. Its not as if he's gonna damage us.
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline Wendi

• Kopite
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2006, 06:36:02 pm »
unless we are paying him 156k per week, then your talking bullspit

You need a calculator my friend.
Sack Parry.

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2006, 06:36:26 pm »

Fowlers finished.

We'd originally offered around £8m. They took us up to £10m. Then wanted £3m more.

Plus, £750,000 isn't the same as £13,750,000.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline Wendi

• Kopite
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2006, 06:41:48 pm »
We'd originally offered around £8m. They took us up to £10m. Then wanted £3m more.

Who knows? But with all Parrys 'we wont pay a quid more than what a players worth' rhetoric who knows how many players we have lost due to not wanting to pay the extra half a mill. And now we piss it on the wall for Fowler. mmmm.

This makes no sense. Im talking incremental, haggling amount that has cost us deals on players. Obviously!!
Sack Parry.

Offline scottishRED

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2006, 06:49:16 pm »

Good post.

Also, there's the fact that linking signing Fowler and not signing Simao is absurd because, arguably, we needed a striker just as much as we needed a right midfielder.

My reasoning in thinking this is that Gerrard has done so well at right mid, that we don't desperately need to sign anyone out there (though obviously we need to keep looking). But it has been becoming increasingly apparent that we needed a good finisher; an out and out goalscorer.

So even if we do / did sign Simao or a right-midfielder, we'd still need a striker.

Fowler's that man. Signing him doesn't mean we're not still looking for a right-winger.

It might work out; it might not. But if it doesn't, we cut our losses this summer.

Great signing by Rafa; great deal for the club. Big risk on Robbie's part; not ours.

But he'll be trying his heart out. He loves the club. Let's get behind him to make a success.

As with most of Rafa's signings, it seems like we have everything to gain, and little to lose. So we might as well back it and hope it works out well.

Offline scottishRED

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2006, 06:58:23 pm »
Who knows? But with all Parrys 'we wont pay a quid more than what a players worth' rhetoric who knows how many players we have lost due to not wanting to pay the extra half a mill. And now we piss it on the wall for Fowler. mmmm.

"piss it on the wall" is a bit strong. Fowler's ability was never coached or based on speed / fitness.

He needs sufficient fitness / training to enable him to realise his natural ability on the pitch, but if he's fit, he'll score goals.

As Paul said, it's a risk; but just as it's not a guaranteed success (how many signing are?) it is by no means a guaranteed failure.

And as for your comments about paying over the odds, fuck off and support leeds if that's your attitude. That's what happens to your club if you take that attitude.

Thank god we've got parry in charge and not you.

We're building for long term success; not "pissing it all up the wall" as you seem to deride and then advocate in the same breath...

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2006, 06:59:32 pm »

This makes no sense. Im talking incremental, haggling amount that has cost us deals on players. Obviously!!

No, I know. But what I mean is, you can't just say that the lump sums are the same. If a large chunk of our transfer budget is going on one player, then any increase is going to strain the coffers. Say we had £20m in the summer and we were prepared to spend half of that on one player. To then go up by £3m is to spend almost a third of your remaining kitty on that player, without taking into account wages or other fees.

However, if you're starting from zero and all you need to pay are fees, the risk is a lot, lot lower and if come the end of the window the rest of the budget is still there, then you can maybe stretch a bit. I don't think that Rafa would've been so stringent had we made all the signings we wanted in the summer bar Simao.

Offline Ole Gunnar

• Legacy Fan
  • In it to win it!
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2006, 07:13:36 pm »

He is excellent at linking play, and is an intelligent footballer. As the Reds aim to play intelligent football under Rafa, he therefore has a decent chance of succeeding.

This is what has impressed me the most the last few games I have seen him play. He's got first class vision, and makes intelligent runs, he simply got a brilliant football brain.
There is a lot more to his game than just finishing, he's not a Andy Cole type player.
I'm exited now, always hoped this would happen, so it feels great!!

And by the way, very "fast" article! ;D
Bart: Dad, what's a Muppet?

Homer: Well, it's not quite a mop, not quite a puppet, but man... (laughs, then pauses) So, to answer you question, I don't know.

Offline FOURFORKS

• Kemlynite
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2006, 07:25:35 pm »
At first I was thinking lack of ambition on our part.  He's an easy option - he is cheap, available without too much of an auction being involved and he will be very popular with the fans, but he's not the stellar signing we were promised.

Then again he's not European cup tied and will do as a stop gap until the next transfer window, when I pray that we sign the class striker which we so need.