Author Topic: Will we ever see a British Isles breakaway league?  (Read 1358 times)

Offline Lynx the saucy mynx

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Will we ever see a British Isles breakaway league?
« on: August 19, 2023, 01:30:58 pm »
I was reading about the Atlantic League that had UEFA approval. It would of contained 5 teams from Scotland, 4 from Denmark and Norway and one from Ireland.

But Celtic chairman Dermot Desmond said he would prefer to wait for a British Isles breakaway. But what I’m trying to wonder is - what would this be or look like?

I am assuming it would be us and Manchester United, the Old Firm and a few from Scotland. But who else would be a part of it? Would it be a case of big clubs outside the top flight like Derby, Leeds Sunderland who are in some sort of purgatory joining together to make up the league, so they can leapfrog their way to the top? And would it be a closed shop or a new football pyramid?

https://www.67hailhail.com/news/celtics-dermot-desmond-encouraged-to-rethink-atlantic-league/

The point I’m making is, Celtic would not have kiboshed the Atlantic League idea if there wasn’t any smoke to this fire. So I guess I’m wondering where that smoke has come from, because I’ve only ever heard talk of an ESL.

And would we benefit?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2023, 01:33:25 pm by Lynx the saucy mynx »

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Will we ever see a British Isles breakaway league?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2023, 01:37:01 pm »
Dermot can do one.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2023, 01:37:10 pm »
No. Nor should it happen.

Celtic should try to think of ways to make their own domestic league better, not hang off the coat tails of Liverpool and United to try to become a big club.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2023, 01:38:32 pm »

Celtic should try to think of ways to make their own domestic league better, not hang off the coat tails of Liverpool and United to try to become a big club.

They bring it up every couple of years & it always falls on deaf ears  ;D
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2023, 01:43:29 pm »

Agreed.
Let them and Rangers forever spout their sectarian shite North of the border forever more and leave us alone.

• Kopite
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2023, 02:36:32 pm »

They bring it up every couple of years & it always falls on deaf ears  ;D

That was actually the premise of me making this thread. Because every few years the talk of the Old Firm joining England is brought up, but I’ve never ever heard anything about a British Isles breakaway.

I’m curious as to what that would look like, because it seems something more than an Old Firm request.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2023, 02:47:37 pm »
A North Sea League with clubs from Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Holland, Belgium, Denmark, Norway and Sweden (maybe also Finland) would make more sense. I can't see England, Germany and France being interested in a regional league ...

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2023, 02:48:53 pm »
A North Sea League with clubs from Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Holland, Belgium, Denmark, Norway and Sweden (maybe also Finland) would make more sense.

It really wouldn't.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

• Kopite
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2023, 03:10:49 pm »
A North Sea League with clubs from Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Holland, Belgium, Denmark, Norway and Sweden (maybe also Finland) would make more sense. I can't see England, Germany and France being interested in a regional league ...

This definitely will give big city clubs like FC Copenhagen, Malmo, and even a future Dublin based football club a better chance at becoming big names with big success.

I will always want Liverpool to be top of the tree, but what I don’t like is how modern European football stops clubs like this ever being at the epicentre of the game unless they get a human rights abusing cheat code.

I’d love the big money from media rights for a North Sea league showcase Club Brugge vs FC Copenhagen as a heavyweight clash. I understand that may seem like a pipe dream though.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2023, 03:13:11 pm by Lynx the saucy mynx »

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2023, 02:06:36 am »
This definitely will give big city clubs like FC Copenhagen, Malmo, and even a future Dublin based football club a better chance at becoming big names with big success.

I will always want Liverpool to be top of the tree, but what I don’t like is how modern European football stops clubs like this ever being at the epicentre of the game unless they get a human rights abusing cheat code.

I’d love the big money from media rights for a North Sea league showcase Club Brugge vs FC Copenhagen as a heavyweight clash. I understand that may seem like a pipe dream though.

Well, the proximity of the 3 big leagues (England, Germany, France) will force the clubs from these countries to do something about it. A joint Holland/Belgium league, a Scandinavian league (Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Finland) and a Celtic league (Scotland, Ireland, Wales and Northern Ireland) might be a good start. Eventually, these 3 regional leagues can merge into one bigger league ...

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2023, 07:53:57 am »
North Sea league would have a big carbon footprint and will price more fans out of away games. We shouldn’t be creating new leagues that require regular flights for fans and teams.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2023, 08:49:02 am »
Instead of all that, I would like for the monopolies, the obscene amounts of money, and football club ownership to be regulated and amended.

I have no concerns about Liverpool. We know we can still function as a top club because of our ethos.

The problem we have in football, is the money, the power and politics. It's the "greed", and people tap-dance around the elephant in the room, trying to come up with solutions that are not necessary.
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

• Kopite
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2023, 02:51:49 pm »
Bumping this based on the discussion in the Newcastle thread.

I think we could have a good conversation about this without mentioning the Celtic Rangers stuff.

• Kopite
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2024, 02:22:42 pm »

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2024, 02:24:14 pm »
I wish they’d just go, and take all their issues with them. But who’d have them?
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.