Author Topic: Roy Hodgson tells Glen Johnson to get his act together  (Read 129086 times)

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Roy Hodgson tells Glen Johnson to get his act together
« Reply #240 on: November 13, 2010, 12:59:15 am »
Johnson has been SO poor this season I've struggled to believe my eyes, and that accounts for him not being rated defensively last season. He's potentially really good but the lack of progression in his defensive play is terrifying. He can either sulk or buck up after this, up to him.

Offline subroc

• cut at you with a clipper? Gas Face given, I beg to differ.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #241 on: November 13, 2010, 12:59:18 am »
As well, does he have to use Johnson's status as England right back to hit him over the head with? All he needs to say is "Glen knows that he has to do better and that he is capable of doing a lot better" or something like that.

Offline RedinExile

• credulous ingratiating simpleton
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #242 on: November 13, 2010, 12:59:26 am »
Had his replacement in for trials already.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PCrrJLZnVc
There are always more fortresses to torch.

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: November 13, 2010, 01:00:34 am »
Johnson needed a kick up the arse, but there are a few players ahead of him in the list that Hodgson could have picked on.
But yeah, Johnson should be realising that the best years of a terrific career in professional football are, currently, just passing him by. 

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?

Offline subroc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: November 13, 2010, 01:03:47 am »
Rafa did to Alonso around a month before the whole Inter away game even happened.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_3108751,00.html

I remember being surprised at the time to see Rafa saying that Alonso needed to improve because he never went public with these sort of things.

I'm not a fan of managers calling out their players in public unless it is absolutely necessary (due to bad behaviour or actions) but Johnson hasn't been playing as well as we know he can. Perhaps whatever Roy's said to Johnson in private hasn't had an effect on him so feels it's necessary to highlight his concerns in public hoping it might wake up Johnson, similar to what Rafa did with Alonso (alas it took a shop window experience for him to wake up and perform to his expectations).

Pretty much this.

Yes, but notice that Benitez was very restrained in his criticism of Alonso. IMHO Hodgson went over the top when he used Johnson's status as England right back and said his playing did not merit his England place. What does that have to do with how he is playing for Liverpool? As well, his failure to say the same kind of things to Poulsen and Konchesky will cause resentment at perceived unfair treatment.

Offline astowell1

• Legacy Fan
  • Klopp!
« Reply #246 on: November 13, 2010, 01:04:00 am »
I just don't see how this benefits anyone at all the more I think about it.

Offline fishfingers15

• Kemlynite
« Reply #247 on: November 13, 2010, 01:04:28 am »
120,000 a week?  :o

Surely, THAT is the talking point of the thread? If it's true, Glen Johnson is a  ridiculous signing in the first place.

Online Cracking Left Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: November 13, 2010, 01:04:33 am »
Well done Roy. Way to alienate yet another member of your squad (and an English one to boot....well, suppose nobody can say you're anti-foreign players now).

He's obviously lost that 'Liverpool manager for Dummies' book that someone at the club gave him recently.

Offline GoldenSky

• Kemlynite
« Reply #249 on: November 13, 2010, 01:05:52 am »
I just want to pan Roy's face in every time I see it or hear about what he has said this time ...never ever felt that way about a LFC manager before!  Not saying I'm proud of feeling that way but surely we deserve a better manager than this now that NESV are here ... Think I'm going stop reading about what Roy said next,  I was hoping we had moved away from the media circus but when you have bobo the friendly clown in charge.  Goodnight and cmon let's stuff Stoke (dreaming)!

Offline Rossie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: November 13, 2010, 01:07:18 am »
So much for the arm around the shoulder approach then!

yep, so much for a lot of things we were promised.  Ah well, trying to not get annoyed anymore, we've won the biggest battle getting our new owners, they're wise men and they don't suffer fools, they'll sort things out.
"Some people cannot see a priest on a mountain of sugar."  Rafa Benitez, 01/Nov/'10.

Offline robbie96

• Legacy Fan
  • Cometh the hour, Cometh the man!
« Reply #251 on: November 13, 2010, 01:09:49 am »
Glen Johnson is on £120k a week?

Ignoring all other points in this post, that is absolutely ridiculous if true.

I guess Henry has decided to trim the wage bill .... shame really, Johnson's never been the same since his knee injury last season. Although I wish Hodgson kept his opinion "in house" and not in the public domain.
Iain Macintosh via Twitter:
Bosingwa almost starts a riot by getting subbed and trudging off the pitch like a old border collie making his final trip to the vet.

Offline DM Red

• no it wasnt a knee jerk - just a jerk....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: November 13, 2010, 01:10:14 am »
im not sure if going public with this is wise. obviously he is trying to get a reaction from the player.

id be surprised if he got the one he is looking for though. Glen Johnson has been a poor signing for us and he seems like the type of player who will throw a strop and sulk over this rather than playing out of his skin to tell his manager to shut the fuck up.

Offline common

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: November 13, 2010, 01:10:21 am »
The plan for January window is to get rid of both Agger&Johnson (alongside Lucas, Maxi, Babel, Pacheco, N'Gog and Jovanovic)

Offline downtown

• abbewy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Sarina
« Reply #254 on: November 13, 2010, 01:11:31 am »

Offline subroc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: November 13, 2010, 01:14:09 am »
Another thing - notice how Benitez never questions Alonso's worth to the team nor his worth as a player? Benitez was telling Alonso - "You are coming back from injury and need to get fitter and more sharp. That comes through playing more games. However, I can't guarantee your place because the others are playing well. Give me a selection problem by playing better."

By contrast, Hodgson words reflect what he really thinks of Johnson. What difference is there between Hodgson said, and what opposition fans could be jeering Johnson with "Call yourself England Rightback?! Yer havin a laugh!"

What I learn from this is how much we have taken for granted the care and the self-control with which Benitez made his press statement, to the point of even writing down what he wanted to say to make sure he got the right point across.

Offline stoopid yank

• Legacy Fan
  • Bird is the Word
« Reply #256 on: November 13, 2010, 01:14:14 am »
This is tragic.  Can't believe some on here think Kelly is a better option, better player. Don't get me wrong, Kelly will be a great centerback, and has loads of potential and lots of fight to him, and yes he looks good when we are under siege and booting the ball upfield at every chance, like against Chelsea 2nd half.  But his dribbling, touch and crossing skills are no where near a fit Johnson.

IMO we desperately needed Johnson in the Wigan game to create chances.  Have people forgotten he drew the penalty that won the Napoli game? Hell, I would prefer him over Konchesky on the left any day.

Shame on Roy for doing this yet again to another good player.  :butt

I don't always listen to Black Sabbath, but when I do, so do the neighbors.

Offline common

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: November 13, 2010, 01:15:35 am »
when is it from ?

and wtf

just a joke from a couple weeks back. won't happen mate. cheer up. NESV are not stupid

Offline sirKennyDaggers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: November 13, 2010, 01:19:39 am »
Maybe its a last resort because Johnson has been taking the piss,and inhouse warnings have gone unheeded.
Whatever, think Glen is on his way out.

Offline lafuriaroja

• Kopite
  • Bazinga!
« Reply #259 on: November 13, 2010, 01:19:57 am »

Sounds familiar, didn't another rag just say that Jova was on 120k per week? Quite sure this is made up shit-stirring.
"I think Jose should have brought a double decker rather than the mini bus."

Offline Promised to never post on RAWK again

• Might be Estonian_Red, but I wouldn't trust a word he says. In fact don't trust anything anyone says... EVER.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Where Amazing Happens
« Reply #260 on: November 13, 2010, 01:20:02 am »
NESV are not stupid

Well, their time to prove that is running out ... Roy is seriously alienating our squad, and if he continues this way, we will be in deep shit when the transfer window opens in January ... With Inter targeting Agger, and Juventus targeting Johnson, it could get ugly ...
The internet is a bad place - People like Mac Red are on it.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #261 on: November 13, 2010, 01:21:13 am »

I was told that figure a while ago so apparently it's true

I wish he hadn't done it in public but if there's a player that needs a kick up the arse its Johnson

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: November 13, 2010, 01:22:23 am »
I guess Henry has decided to trim the wage bill .... shame really, Johnson's never been the same since his knee injury last season.

He does seem to be rather prone to injuries now, I wonder if it's had any bearing on his form, perhaps being unsure of opening up 100% when sprinting and then turning.
Anyway, regardless of Johnson not being at the races, Kelly deserves his place on merit.  But, then again, so do Skrtel and Soto ahead of Carragher but I doubt we'll get such revelations from Roy this weekend.
And where was Hodgson's scathing comments earlier in the season when Carragher, Gerrard, Torres and Maxi were labouring? 
Nasty shite this one.

Rafa's criticism of Xabi was absolutely essential as the lad had coasted for the past two years, not for two months as in the case of Johnson, when he was even fit.
For me, I'm guessing the idea to criticise Johnson wasn't Hodgson's.  Considering the verbal volleys that Kelly gets, it seems a lot more likely that Cllr Carragher wants an £18m right back next to him rather than the upstart youngster.

Offline Ambrosia

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: November 13, 2010, 01:23:34 am »
IMO we desperately needed Johnson in the Wigan game to create chances.  Have people forgotten he drew the penalty that won the Napoli game?
...or that shot which led to that famous victory against Trapzonspor? how can anyone forget that, Roy most of all? there would have been no famous victory had there been no Glen.

Offline rafa4sure

• Anny Roader
« Reply #264 on: November 13, 2010, 01:25:15 am »
I'm knackered now mate, can't be arsed going through all this. I've got work in the morning. But I'm not swerving anything. I'll chat to you about it anytime, and anyway go read the two statements on both players. You'll see what I mean.

That's enough for me. Hopefully I'll wake up and the poor old fella's cracked and done a flit back to London where he's comfortable.
Not having a go, not at all. I happen to agree with you about Roy and voiced my displeasure about him quite early on. I'll admit, I've been too eager to have a go at Roy in the past but I'm trying to reign those urges in now. Anyway always interesting viewing your comments FS. Full of passion and for what it's worth I share your thoughts about the previous manager, really liked and respected the guy. Maybe all we can do now is put our trust in NESV and support the team. Whatever will be, will be etc.

Offline Rattleduser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: November 13, 2010, 01:25:45 am »
fuckin sick of roy mouthin off
PSN: white-of-my-eyes

Offline Didi_ram

• Legacy Fan
  • Only 9900 kms away
« Reply #266 on: November 13, 2010, 01:26:16 am »
Cant he just grill him behind closed doors?This is a disgrace.Glen is very talented.Yes he hasnt been performing,but that was at a time when the whole team was rubbish.And this isnt the way to speak out.Glen,Agger-phew.What next!
Roy is just stupid.

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: November 13, 2010, 01:27:19 am »
"We" can judge with our own eyes.
"We" don't need to be told.

Glen Johnson hasn't been playing very well. I'd say most of us agree on that.
He picks up an injury and gets told by someone who should be managing Cammell Laird reserves the he needs to get his act together?
Not only that, but he announces it to the World?

Nah, sorry..

I'm getting out of here before I get banned.

Shithouse!   :D

Don't worry anyway Terry. I'm sure VdM with arm-round-the-shoulder style of modding will just make a new topic saying something like Terry's posts aren't up to scratch any more, and if he wants to keep his place in the RAWK legend brigade, he'll need to make better comments. I preferred it in the good old days when the detached style of mod like Gareth would PM you and tell you to stop being a nob. We ask for change and this is what we get.

Anyway, piss-taking aside, how would Hodgson feel if Mr Henry made a press statement saying something along the lines of "This fella is supposed to be a world class manager with 35 years experience up his sleeve. If that's the case, why the fuck are we playing shite footy and why are we 9th in the league for fucks sake? If this fucking pretender who wants to be the England manager in waiting doesn't get his head from up his arse, Ol' 'Arry will be in there like Boris Becker in a broom cupboard. Sort yourself out Roy."

The more I see of him, the more I hear from him, the more I want him gone. Everything he says is designed to make sure he stays blame free for anything and everything. And I think this finally puts his nice guy image to bed doesn't it? People saw through that veneer weeks ago, and anyone who can't see it needs to get themselves to Specsavers.
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline Rohit

• nol
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: November 13, 2010, 01:44:16 am »
This is tragic.  Can't believe some on here think Kelly is a better option, better player. Don't get me wrong, Kelly will be a great centerback, and has loads of potential and lots of fight to him, and yes he looks good when we are under siege and booting the ball upfield at every chance, like against Chelsea 2nd half.  But his dribbling, touch and crossing skills are no where near a fit Johnson.

IMO we desperately needed Johnson in the Wigan game to create chances.  Have people forgotten he drew the penalty that won the Napoli game? Hell, I would prefer him over Konchesky on the left any day.

Agreed

Offline t0nylfc

• Main Stander
« Reply #269 on: November 13, 2010, 01:51:23 am »
tell Roy Hodgson to get his act together and buy a very defensive minded midfielder with pace to back him up!!

Offline common

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: November 13, 2010, 02:02:29 am »
tell Roy Hodgson to get his act together

he's useless mate

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: November 13, 2010, 02:04:50 am »
Well, their time to prove that is running out ... Roy is seriously alienating our squad, and if he continues this way, we will be in deep shit when the transfer window opens in January ... With Inter targeting Agger, and Juventus targeting Johnson, it could get ugly ...

Ugly indeed. Give Roy a few more months and a few million in January and he may have dismantled most of the squad.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Heighwayondawing

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on The Reds
« Reply #272 on: November 13, 2010, 02:06:28 am »
Perhaps giving Johnson a trial as a winger would serve to work this situation out on it's own?
The one most important thing that we all must remember, in case it slipped our mind, is this club is much more important and bigger than anybody. I'll never forget that and anybody that does is being a wee bit irresponsible and stupid I think because the club is more important than any one individual. The Club is, The Club.

Offline CorKopite

• a tool who can't spell
  • Legacy Fan
  • The house that Shanks built.
« Reply #273 on: November 13, 2010, 02:11:01 am »
My god Roy when will you learn to shut your fucking mouth, the frustrating thing is that its right that Johnson needs a kick up the ass and start putting in better performances but why does he have to come out in public and say it, why not a trip to the managers office and discuss it with him there rather than through the papers. Fucking irritating and stupid.  :butt I actually cant believe it like.

On the point of Glen he does need to pick it up, I certainly believe he has the ability and also think he seems like a decent guy but he just needs to start upping his performances. Go on Glen show us what you can do. Would like to see him given a shot at right mid,whats the worst than can happen really.
Bill Shankly-"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"

Mitch Hedberg-"Dogs are forever in the push up position"

Offline Promised to never post on RAWK again

• Might be Estonian_Red, but I wouldn't trust a word he says. In fact don't trust anything anyone says... EVER.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Where Amazing Happens
« Reply #274 on: November 13, 2010, 02:12:30 am »
Perhaps giving Johnson a trial as a winger would serve to work this situation out on it's own?

Johnson is not a winger ... He is a quality attacking full-back, currently off form ...
The internet is a bad place - People like Mac Red are on it.

Offline subroc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: November 13, 2010, 02:16:05 am »
Before a manager can do something as strong as publicly criticising one of his players, it is common sense that he has to firstly prove that he has what it takes to bring the bacon home. In other words, the boss has to earn the respect of the players and the support of the fanbase first before he presumes to be able to have the right to blast one of his players. We see this all the time in our own work situations and offices. If you can be disqualified with an accusation that you are doing the same thing that you are accusing a worker of, it is a good idea to keep your mouth shut.

Hodgson has not earned anything except horror, skepticism and downright distrust over his performance so far. If anything, the approval rating of his managerial reign is far more negative than Johnson's performance.

Amazingly, his 35 years of management experience have not taught him this basic rule that you have to earn the respect first, it cannot be given by the club by merely appointing you to the position.

Offline ziggyy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wums should remain underground...
« Reply #276 on: November 13, 2010, 02:20:10 am »
When Hodgson has Carlos Alberto Carragher, who needs Johnson and Kelly...

Offline Fanxxxxtastic

• Will be very sadly missed on RAWK and elsewhere.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a proud cyber terrorist!
« Reply #277 on: November 13, 2010, 02:22:25 am »

Anyway, piss-taking aside, how would Hodgson feel if Mr Henry made a press statement saying something along the lines of "This fella is supposed to be a world class manager with 35 years experience up his sleeve. If that's the case, why the fuck are we playing shite footy and why are we 9th in the league for fucks sake? If this fucking pretender who wants to be the England manager in waiting doesn't get his head from up his arse, Ol' 'Arry will be in there like Boris Becker in a broom cupboard. Sort yourself out Roy."

The more I see of him, the more I hear from him, the more I want him gone. Everything he says is designed to make sure he stays blame free for anything and everything. And I think this finally puts his nice guy image to bed doesn't it? People saw through that veneer weeks ago, and anyone who can't see it needs to get themselves to Specsavers.

Loving this.
http://twitter.com/Fanxxxxtastic

"A big heart has space for everyone" - Rafa Benitez

Smash the cull!  Smash the BNP!

Offline milankakabaros

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: November 13, 2010, 02:22:26 am »

Couldn't agree anymore.

A few months into his Liverpool career people were labeling his fee as a bargain. No attacking fullback will succeed in Roy's tactical setup just ask Roberto Carlos.

Not many of our players can offer the following attacking threat out wide;
http://www.footylounge.com/films//glen-johnson/analysis-v-stoke-video_1846387fe.html
Keep up to track with the video compilations.
http://twitter.com/milankakabaros

http://www.footylounge.com/films/

Offline subroc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: November 13, 2010, 02:28:02 am »
That is a good point - he froze out Roberto Carlos too when he was at Inter. How can his judgement over Johnson be trusted when he cannot even accommodate or use effectively a fullback of Carlos' quality?

Also, that points to another possibility - is it Hodgson's method to push out of the club players whom he believes are not part of those he can fit within his "system"? If so, then his press statements are part of his strategy to force the player out. After a blast like that, how can Johnson find his way back into the team? Suggesting that Torres may be pinched byManchester United may be his way of flagging what he really wants - to be able to sell Torres and sign a "super Zamora" type player instead. I will be observing Hodgson's future press statements to see if there is a pattern to this.