Author Topic: The transfer committee; good or poor?  (Read 1376 times)

Offline Byrneand

• Kopite
The transfer committee; good or poor?
« on: February 11, 2014, 09:34:33 pm »
As the season has worn on, I'm trying to figure out if our transfer policy and practice is doing well or not.

Alberto and Aspas have been fairly underwhelming so far but leaving them to one side and looking at the "what might have beens" does this show promise or poor execution?

Looking at the three big summer signings we missed out on; Costa, Willian and Mkhitaryn hbrilliant seasons. Surely this shows that "the committee" are identifying excellent players who in all honesty are out of league cost wise now and are attracting attention from the big European spenders. This shows the committee are getting the right players but executing poorly on getting the them over the line. Hopefully CL will give us a bit mire draw and cash to build the squad.

Great effort so far!!
If you can't walk in a straight line.... you shouldn't be playing for Liverpool. End of

Offline Midekima

• Kopite
Re: The transfer committee; good or poor?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 09:45:30 pm »
I would love to know just how the committe works? Lots of hypothetical statements made, but is there anyone on here that has inside knowledge of the Committee actually works?

Offline suede lady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 09:52:06 pm »
I like that they won't pay more than they deem a player is worth. And that they don't buy just to buy.

But they seems to work very slowly. Salah took ages so when we lost out on him there was not enough time to get Kono. At some point you have to give your first target up and move on.

I agree they seem too identify the right players. Hopefully we have CL to offer next year which will make as more attractive to these players.

Offline Not A Scouser

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 09:59:42 pm »
Is the squad better than before they started?

The answer is "yes."

Therefore the committee is good.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 10:07:38 pm »
To be honest, I always prefer us to give youth a chance over buying average players. Average doesn't mean underperforming players with great potential. Countinho and Sturridge are the latter. Aspas unfortunately seems the former.

I think they're doing fine, and I like the push to create value with the talent we already have.

But I would like to think we would be in the market for the next Suarez type signing (2011 when we signed him from Ajax).

If we qualify for the Champions League, I'd like to think they will pull off a Mkhitaryan or / and Costa next summer.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline -Daws-

• Legacy Fan
  • No longer a teenage Rafa, still no goatee.
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 10:10:35 pm »
Scouting team and committee are excellent. Questions remain over our ability to finalise a deal, but considering the prices we paid for Sturridge and Coutinho, then you have to say fair play I think overall.
It's hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them.

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 10:10:46 pm »
I like that they won't pay more than they deem a player is worth. And that they don't buy just to buy.

But they seems to work very slowly. Salah took ages so when we lost out on him there was not enough time to get Kono. At some point you have to give your first target up and move on.

I agree they seem too identify the right players. Hopefully we have CL to offer next year which will make as more attractive to these players.

The problem is that players very rarely go for their worth, identifying the right players is all well and good, but if we're sticking to a very strict pricing regime, we're not going to sign too many top quality players, unless the selling club desperately wants to get rid, and no one else is interested
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 10:11:16 pm »
Not impressed so far.

Been incredibly hit and miss, and the cocking about over agreeing transfers is ridiculous
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 10:12:55 pm »
Is the squad better than before they started?

The answer is "yes."

Therefore the committee is good.

Sorry but this is so flawed. You could spend 500 million on dross, but as long as you originally had worse than dross than you'd reckon it was okay
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 10:30:29 pm »
What a weird time to start this thread. Save it for the end of the season, eh?
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline Not A Scouser

• Anny Roader
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 10:43:09 pm »
Sorry but this is so flawed. You could spend 500 million on dross, but as long as you originally had worse than dross than you'd reckon it was okay

What is the point of a transfer committee?

It's to make the squad better with the money available. Anything else is simply making up what they should have done without any real knowledge at all.  How much money is a reasonable amount to leapfrog Man Utd, Tottenham, and Everton? We're on pace to get 15 more points than last season, 24 more than the season before.

What more do people want?

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 10:46:40 pm »
Just enjoy the way the team's playing, there will be enough whining in the next transfer windows (let's be honest, we could sign Messi and Ronaldo and that wouldn't stop millions of threads like this popping up), so let's not think about it now...

Offline Mr_Morosoph

• Moaning bed wetter, cry wanks for Torres
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 10:48:11 pm »
They've been amazing. Thanks for asking.
"I was pleased also with Peter Crouch. We have been talking to him, before and after his nose operation, to show more confidence with his heading.

"Now it seems to have worked. Lets say that if he has a few games without scoring again, maybe we should arrange to break his nose again."

Rafa.

Offline princeoftherocks

• Legacy Fan
  • black sheep scouse
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2014, 10:55:56 pm »
I'm thinking that brendan is very specific in what he wants, and these kind of players don't grow on trees.  He's building, as he says, for the future.

endof.
dios esta buena

Offline MiserableP15

• Liable to get overexcited at the site of opposition goalie's rear
  • Legacy Fan
  • Certified thread killer - Best on the web.
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 11:05:41 pm »
Pood
"So Bierhoff’s got a short time to press his claims, now that the other two strikers who started the match have both been taken off……Kuntz."

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2014, 11:05:55 pm »
Poor?! They haven't got a pot to piss in .....they're so poor they had to have children just so they had something to eat at Xmas
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline Lockhart

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2014, 11:36:02 pm »
They worry me simply because they appear too keen on bargain hunting and too rigid in their valuations. Sturridge and Coutinho are two of the best deals in recent memory but there's a reason why those kinds of deals are so rare and it's because most of the time they don't work out. If they keep looking to score stars for 7-12 million pounds then we're going to see more players like Alberto and Aspas than Sturridge and Coutinho and that's not going to get us anywhere.

All we can hope for is that a spot in the Champion's League will raise their ambitions to where they should be; in line with Rodgers' ambitions.

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2014, 11:56:36 pm »
I was cleaning this up and going to leave it open to give it a chance but it needs a bit more thought and knowledge as to how the committee works. They certainly don't do the negotiations etc. If someone wants to do the work and open a thread with a bit of substance to it fair enough but this thread isn't going to work.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn