Author Topic: The Serial Podcasts - 3rd series out now (April 2017)  (Read 29496 times)

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Serial - The Podcast
« Reply #200 on: February 9, 2016, 03:58:52 pm »
The first one was more organic, with a ton of stuff coming to light while it was being released. So even Sarah was surprised week to week. This one seems more after the fact, which makes it less interesting, plus it's already well known.

I don't think the success of Making a Murderer has helped its general reception as that is probably more in line with what most of us wanted to see in series 2, compared to what we got.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #201 on: February 9, 2016, 04:04:59 pm »
I've still enjoyed Season 2 but it's nowhere near as compelling.

I'm annoyed that Sarah won't be seeing out the rest of Adnan's hearing this week because she needs to get the next episode ready, think people would much rather hear updates on that than have another episode of Season 2.

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: February 9, 2016, 04:41:09 pm »
I don't think the success of Making a Murderer has helped its general reception as that is probably more in line with what most of us wanted to see in series 2, compared to what we got.

That is it for me. This Bergdahl story is too big, already hit the news and clearly many people have already made their mind's up about Bergdahl.

I guess most people wanted another small town America crime which would grip them week after week. For me this is not what series 2 is doing. The few people I know who listened intently to series 1 have already given up on this.
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #203 on: February 9, 2016, 04:49:19 pm »
Yeah there's really no intrigue there like season 1, i've given up on it

I don't really feel that Sarah herself is all that invested in it.  She definitely had a personal connection to Adnan after all the phone calls.  She's intrigued by the Bergdahl story, but maybe more on an intellectual level (how he made the escapes, where he went, what attempts were made to track him), rather than on an emotional level.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline realtarragona

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: February 9, 2016, 06:24:57 pm »
I quite enjoyed the last episode but it's probably the first time all season. I'll stick with it though, just for the production quality I guess and it's only an hour every two weeks. But it's not remotely as gripping or intriguing as the first series.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #205 on: February 10, 2016, 11:16:44 am »
Nothing like season 1. Nowhere near as engaging and gripping as Adnan's story. A whole month passed by and had forgotten I had an episode to listen to.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline ncred

• ble
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #206 on: February 18, 2016, 01:24:38 pm »
This last episode (#7 - Hindsight, Part 1) was pretty good.  Raises lots of questions about Bowe, about why he wanted to join the army, about his upbringing.  Also sets the table nicely for whether the army should have let him in, which is apparently going to be discussed in episode 8 which comes out tomorrow.

Offline Shepnois

• Legacy Fan
  • Livin' in the Sunshine, Lovin' in the Moonlight
« Reply #207 on: February 18, 2016, 03:25:48 pm »
Another decent episode, shows how he should never have been allowed to join the military. Was thinking 38mins after 2 weeks was a bit short but then we're told there’s another episode tomorrow for some reason.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #208 on: February 21, 2016, 09:53:45 am »
This American life is superb. I am back to 2003 now, having listened to most weeks of every year since about last October. Because this serial is fortnightly, I played a load of the last one this week, just to remind myself where I was at, then when I opened this weeks, I find it was a two parter, and the overload really showed. I just kept losing my attention to the detail, I may have given up before the end of the 2nd one.
The only thing that really pricked up my ears was the diagnosis, and that was mainly because it sounded like my wife, to a tee.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #209 on: February 21, 2016, 11:09:55 am »

The only thing that really pricked up my ears was the diagnosis, and that was mainly because it sounded like my wife, to a tee.

It sounded like me. A couple of those clues for the diagnosis.

Offline markedasred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: February 21, 2016, 05:47:26 pm »
Yiannis, I am thinking of leaving you. Life is too short, oh if it wasn't for the kids I'd be gone
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: February 22, 2016, 12:59:16 pm »
he should never have been allowed to join the military.

Ain't that the truth!
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #212 on: February 22, 2016, 10:02:42 pm »
I take it people have heard of this in relation to the first Season of Serial? http://undisclosed-podcast.com/

Sorry to be late to the party. Just working through undisclosed.

Christ alive. It's much more a miscarriage than Avery in "making a murderer"

The prosecution case has more holes than well. A big hole that's made up of lots of tiny holes. That are in fact lots of really tiny holes.

I actually mentioned to a friend who's a big Wire fan (as I am) that the tapping reminded me of when they are pointing Keema to her shooter.

I'm in no doubt that anyone in a normal state of mind couldn't have convicted Syed

Offline Andy_lfc

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #213 on: February 24, 2016, 08:57:41 pm »
I'm in no doubt that anyone in a normal state of mind couldn't have convicted Syed

That's the thing though, it was a jury of 12 that convicted Syed of premeditated murder after a deliberation that lasted around an hour in total.  Not sure where you've got to in Undisclosed, but when you get to the episodes covering the trials you can kind of see how the jury thought he was guilty based on what was presented to them and how.  If we are to take the information on undisclosed at face value (there is some bias no doubt), then Adnan was basically screwed by everyone around him - Jay, the police, the prosecutor and, most upsettingly, his own defence team. 

I think it's telling that Kevin Urick wasn't called as a states witness to refute his alleged witness tampering with Asia Mclean, or the lack of disclosure of complete cell tower information.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #214 on: February 24, 2016, 09:28:42 pm »
^

Fair point. I do forget I'm listening to this as someone who has listened to Serial and is part way through Undisclosed.

The very issue at the heart of it apart from the ping data from AT & T is that Adnan didn't have competent defense.

Which is pretty obvious

Offline Andy_lfc

• Kopite
« Reply #215 on: February 25, 2016, 04:20:17 am »
^

Fair point. I do forget I'm listening to this as someone who has listened to Serial and is part way through Undisclosed.

The very issue at the heart of it apart from the ping data from AT & T is that Adnan didn't have competent defense.

Which is pretty obvious

This is right.. if you haven't got to it yet, just wait until you listen to the "Tina" Episode of Undisclosed.  I won't spoilt it but it sheds light on how his defence was such a mess and its easy to see how the state was aware of this and took full advantage.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #216 on: February 25, 2016, 07:20:10 am »
This is right.. if you haven't got to it yet, just wait until you listen to the "Tina" Episode of Undisclosed.  I won't spoilt it but it sheds light on how his defence was such a mess and its easy to see how the state was aware of this and took full advantage.

Up next mate

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #217 on: March 10, 2016, 03:37:35 pm »
Having listened to all of Undisclosed now, a thought I had during Serial is even stronger now. How has every trial she lost post 1995 not been re-tried?
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Andy_lfc

• Kopite
« Reply #218 on: March 14, 2016, 04:31:08 pm »
Having listened to all of Undisclosed now, a thought I had during Serial is even stronger now. How has every trial she lost post 1995 not been re-tried?

Unfortunately that would involve the State growing a conscience. Due to the way the system works, once a guilty verdict is reached, the onus is on the defendant to find new evidence that was not considered in court.  That takes time, determination, lawyers and buckets of money.  Most don't have access to such resources.  Adnan, for example, got nowhere for 15 years until Serial came along and raised the profile of the case raising money and lawyers working pro bono to help him.  Even now he is not guaranteed a retrial.

Offline markedasred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: April 9, 2016, 04:47:57 pm »
Not sure if anyone noticed, and surely not in need of spoiler, but the 2nd series just fizzled out. I wonder if they pulled it for it being panned (didn't read reviews but would be surprised if they were glowing, especially compared to series 1) or loss of audience. Hope they learned that a. two weeks per episode kills it. b. a soldier gone missing and found is not as interesting as a whodunit.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: April 9, 2016, 05:06:13 pm »
They talked a little about it on The undisclosed podcast - which is worth sticking with, btw. They said thought season 1 was so twisty and turny, it made Sarah want to go with something much more controlled and safe. Unfortunately that also meant boring.

Offline HighSix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: April 9, 2016, 05:16:50 pm »
Season one also seemed to tail off in the later episodes for me but really whatever story they picked season two Making a Murder probably stole the main stream media attention they thrived on first time round.

Have they already made season three? Though I read seasons 2 & 3 were being worked on at the same time but cant see any info on it now.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: April 9, 2016, 05:36:06 pm »
I loved it, but I could also  listen to her reading the weather forecast over the wonderful plinky plonky, atmospheric theme tune quite happily :D

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #223 on: April 10, 2016, 10:55:59 am »
Season one also seemed to tail off in the later episodes for me but really whatever story they picked season two Making a Murder probably stole the main stream media attention they thrived on first time round.

Have they already made season three? Though I read seasons 2 & 3 were being worked on at the same time but cant see any info on it now.

That's what I had read too.

Oh well, I listened to the podcasts of season 2 like out of "necessity". Mostly boring stuff apart the time they mentioned his mental issues.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #224 on: June 30, 2016, 09:54:05 pm »
Breaking news...

@CJBrownLaw
WE WON A NEW TRIAL FOR ADNAN SYED!!! #FreeAdnan

@CJBrownLaw
We will hold a press conference at our office at 5:15 pm today. 231 E. Baltimore St. suite 1102.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline gerrardsarmy

• Wouldn't say no to a spanking
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: March 29, 2017, 11:15:24 am »
Is anyone listening to this?

https://stownpodcast.org/
“I always think that there’s something unpleasant lurking in people who avoid drinking, gambling, table-talk and pretty women. People like that are either sick or secretly hate their fellow-men.”

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: March 29, 2017, 11:22:23 am »

Offline Igor Tripod Biscan

• Got it, got off it, got on with it. Is rice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #227 on: March 29, 2017, 11:50:58 am »

Half way through the 1st episode based on your post - Am HUGELY sucked in - Fascinating already!

Cheers la
Liverpool is the pool of life.
Carl Jung, 1961.  Alan Partridge didn't ask for a second season you meff

Offline Shepnois

• Legacy Fan
  • Livin' in the Sunshine, Lovin' in the Moonlight
« Reply #228 on: March 29, 2017, 11:53:48 am »
Listened to the 1st ep last night & really enjoyed it. This John character is fascinating. I’m looking forward to delving more into the story.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: March 29, 2017, 12:11:38 pm »
Listened to the 1st ep last night & really enjoyed it. This John character is fascinating. I’m looking forward to delving more into the story.

I'm already bang into this after the first episode. Sounds absolutely bonkers the place they're in.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: March 29, 2017, 02:17:04 pm »
I've done the first three episodes, and it's fascinating.

Sort of a spoiler for episode one...

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #231 on: March 29, 2017, 04:20:34 pm »
Thanks for that? Getting right on it!

Offline Igor Tripod Biscan

• Got it, got off it, got on with it. Is rice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #232 on: March 29, 2017, 06:08:43 pm »
Just finished it

Spoiler
Am left a bit flat/perplexed

I guess that's kind of the feeling they intend?

If I understand, there was most likely no gold/money or the cops got it somehow or Tyler or the court lady?

He was clearly troubled throughout his life due to repressed sexuality mixed with the madness of genius plus the likely mercury poisoning?

[close]
Liverpool is the pool of life.
Carl Jung, 1961.  Alan Partridge didn't ask for a second season you meff

Offline Andy_lfc

• Kopite
« Reply #233 on: March 30, 2017, 02:08:22 pm »

Listening and loving it, it is very artfully done, you can feel the time and effort that has gone in to creating this.  Well worth giving this some time.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #234 on: March 30, 2017, 07:39:34 pm »

Thanks for this. That's a few hours sorted....

Offline BRdispatch05

• Avian maculation. Aural Tetanus Fetishist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: March 30, 2017, 10:44:46 pm »
Not going to read any posts in here afraid of spoilers. Listened to season 1 episode one yesterday due to an entire thread dedicated to one podcast so thought it must be good. I thought yea it seems ok. About 7 hours ago I listened to episode 2...and am currently finishing episode 10. This is seriously like crack. Cant...stop...listening.

Spoiler
I'm not the best judge of people so might be biased due to her presentation of it all. In fact she hints the next episode might be evaluating whether he's a psychopath or not, which would change everything if he is. But at this point I just don't see any way he did this. Not so sure it was Jay either, the fact he has an entire sketchy story if Adnan is proven to be innocent raises a huge red flag, but she hinted it could've been someone else and Jay is just replacing his name with Adnan. I don't buy the random serial killer, otherwise Jay would have no reason to have made up this elaborate story. So much information. This is the making of a murderer version of a podcast. Really hope to not be let down by the last episode. Also very cool information  is changing as the show progresses and it's not all pre recorded. Makes me believe we will get some new info by the end of it. I hope at least!
[close]
Are the following seasons as good?

[Nobody cares what phone you have and that you are using the free version of Tapatalk]

The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek. - Joseph Campbell

Offline electricghost

• Might haunt your wiring, but will usually stop if requested to. Lives in a spirit house in Pra Kanong.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: March 30, 2017, 10:50:34 pm »
http://www.untoldmurder.com/

Can highly recommend this podcast
“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.”
― Steven Weinberg

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #237 on: March 30, 2017, 11:27:21 pm »
I'm now 2 episodes into S-Town.

So far it's not what I thought it would be, but in a way it's actually better.

It's like a Southern Gothic Serial, with more of a focus on the Southern Gothic.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #238 on: March 31, 2017, 03:26:24 am »
Not going to read any posts in here afraid of spoilers. Listened to season 1 episode one yesterday due to an entire thread dedicated to one podcast so thought it must be good. I thought yea it seems ok. About 7 hours ago I listened to episode 2...and am currently finishing episode 10. This is seriously like crack. Cant...stop...listening.

Spoiler
I'm not the best judge of people so might be biased due to her presentation of it all. In fact she hints the next episode might be evaluating whether he's a psychopath or not, which would change everything if he is. But at this point I just don't see any way he did this. Not so sure it was Jay either, the fact he has an entire sketchy story if Adnan is proven to be innocent raises a huge red flag, but she hinted it could've been someone else and Jay is just replacing his name with Adnan. I don't buy the random serial killer, otherwise Jay would have no reason to have made up this elaborate story. So much information. This is the making of a murderer version of a podcast. Really hope to not be let down by the last episode. Also very cool information  is changing as the show progresses and it's not all pre recorded. Makes me believe we will get some new info by the end of it. I hope at least!
[close]

[Nobody cares what phone you have and that you are using the free version of Tapatalk]

Season two is very different.

I'd highly recommend undisclosed if you like season one of serial. Think of it as another look at it by other people. It's a little legal heavy at times but fantastic

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #239 on: March 31, 2017, 11:03:11 am »

Spoiler
[close]

Hi!

Please let me know when you have finished!

Serial did not even scratch the surface where Adnan is concerned. Serial did a good job of telling the overall story, but do you remember Rabia and Saad from episode one? They brought the story to Sarah? Rabia is a lawyer herself, and after Serial she started a podcast called Undisclosed - this carries on the story and delves so much deeper into the case and the evidence around it. Some of the stuff they have uncovered has been monumental... so much so, and I don't wish to spoil anything, Adnan has been awarded a new trial which will probably happen later this year or the start of next year. Undisclosed Season 1 is about this case. The first 2/3 episodes aren't great in terms of production quality but the content is superb. The audio quality gets better and then it just flies - the episodes are brilliant and as I said, some of the stuff they have uncovered and tapped into is brilliant.

Really, no-one should listen to Serial and then just stop there. Undisclosed cannot be ignored.

I am so excited at where you are! Just finishing Serial and not even tapped into Undisclosed yet... I wish I could be back there!!!

There is a thread which takes it a bit further with some of the Undisclosed happenings posted, so maybe avoid this... but it's here: http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=325928.msg14443339#msg14443339
http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=325928.msg14443339#msg14443339
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 11:06:25 am by Ciara (with a capital "C") »