Author Topic: Awesome documentaries thread  (Read 279340 times)

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Awesome documentaries thread
« Reply #160 on: February 12, 2013, 07:04:14 pm »
The Beeb's Storyville platform, excellent resource for researching documentaries.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mfx6/episodes/guide
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #161 on: February 12, 2013, 08:04:21 pm »
Rules of Engagement about the Waco, Texas siege is bananas. Brilliantly put together. The FBI and the ATF come off as evil morons.  Bill Hicks was obsessed with their behaviour during it. Well worth a watch.

Haven't watched that one but wary of films telling 'the truth' about Waco. Maybe I'm tainted by 'the truth' about Jonestown and other cults.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: February 13, 2013, 02:37:54 am »
I have a request...has anyone ever found a documentary on Carl Brashear? I watched "Men of Honor" based on his life, and what an inspiring movie.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAGArBRD8ME

He became the first black US Navy Master Diver. He faced enormous racial prejudice, then lost part of a leg saving shipmates during an accident. And then he became the first amputee to regain his Master Diver status. Absolute legend of a man. I highly recommend the movie (Cuba Gooding Jr., Robert DeNiro, Hal Holbrook, Charlize Theron), and I'd love to find a documentary on him.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 02:39:38 am by soxfan »
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline thechulloran

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: February 13, 2013, 03:31:01 am »
California Dreaming - People dealing with the current bankruptcy and unemployment rate of LA / California

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dgka2wCYfVw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Dgka2wCYfVw</a>

Straight Outta La - relationship between Gangsta Rap and the LA Raiders

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Rb6Xjh8IfGk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Rb6Xjh8IfGk</a>
"Blackstone was targeted by Internet terrorists" - Tom Hicks

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: February 13, 2013, 08:54:29 am »
Thanks for California Dreaming.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline doc_antonio

• Legacy Fan
  • Always look on the bright side of life
« Reply #165 on: February 13, 2013, 08:59:46 am »
Watched the first of the Paradise Lost documentaries last night.... FUCK.
"When I’ve got nothing better to do, I look down the league table to see how Everton are getting along." - Bill Shankly

Offline theredguy03

• Put balls in his mouth and nearly choked
  • Legacy Fan
  • Coutinho- Used to be Man City's tormentor
« Reply #166 on: February 13, 2013, 12:03:35 pm »
I've been watching Penguins: Spy in the Huddle which I recorded from BBC on Monday.

Never knew that there was such a species called Humbolt Penguin, I'm intrigued by wildlife programmes about birds.
My favourite all time LFC player? Tough choice.

Offline doc_antonio

• Legacy Fan
  • Always look on the bright side of life
« Reply #167 on: February 13, 2013, 04:13:25 pm »
http://www.reddit.com/r/Documentaries/

There are loads of documentaries on Reddit if anyone's interested, majority of the YouTube links are posted too.
"When I’ve got nothing better to do, I look down the league table to see how Everton are getting along." - Bill Shankly

Offline Vork+The Knights of Good

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Macklin, you son of a bitch.
« Reply #168 on: February 13, 2013, 06:55:01 pm »
I'm sure it's been recommended in here, but "Spellbound" is brilliant.

My favourite documentary, hell film, of all time, though, is "The Endless Summer."
Justice For The 96

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #169 on: February 13, 2013, 09:55:24 pm »
The Race That Shook the World on BBC3 now. Stunning doc about Lewis/Johnson Olympic final.

Offline ashy9

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: February 14, 2013, 02:17:07 am »
Haven't watched that one but wary of films telling 'the truth' about Waco. Maybe I'm tainted by 'the truth' about Jonestown and other cults.

Actually it's pretty good with fairly expert analysis and footage from the committee hearings that were conducted after it was all said and done. I'd recommend it.

Watched a couple more now both good but fairly disturbing.

Mea Maxima Culpa - Regarding child abuse in the Catholic church and how the scandal unfolded. Pretty scary stuff.

The Cove - about Japans whaling culture and their systematic killing of thousands of dolphins each year. Incredible what lengths the film crew had to go through to get footage of what they do. Harrowing really and always interesting to see the corruption that goes on when persuading other countries to side with them on the issue!

Offline Owenjg77

• Main Stander
Awesome documentaries thread
« Reply #171 on: February 17, 2013, 06:50:32 am »
'Mea Maxima Culpa' is a very well done documentary about child abuse within the Catholic Church. Tried to keep an open mind whilst watching it and kept telling myself that this is one side to the story but was very convincing

'Daniel and the Devil' is a documentary about an American musician and artist who I had never heard of before. Wasn't really a fan of his very raw music (him singing with just a guitar or piano) but was an excellent watch. Some fascinating bits in it my favourite being was during the 80's when he was starting off he made an album but he had no way to do copies for people to buy. So every time someone wanted to buy a copy he would have to re-record it himself and then sell it. Can you imagine having to do that in our pro tools age. Also Kurt Cobain wore the guys t-shirt on stage for a whole tour

Next up to watch is Sound City (recording studio doc) and Side by side (digital or 35mm film doc)

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: February 17, 2013, 07:05:50 am »
I just watched Side by Side, a documentary by Kearny Reeves about film making using digital and film. Very interesting if you're into movie making.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: February 17, 2013, 10:08:06 am »
Add Marwencol to the list. Just watched it on Netflix. About a man who was badly beaten and copes by creating an alter ego and building a complete WWII Belgian town at 1/6 scale for his alter ego to inhabit... fascinating film and the final shots are brilliant.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline SenorGarcia

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria...
« Reply #174 on: February 17, 2013, 02:35:08 pm »

The whole thing's on Youtube in four parts I think.
"A football club isn't just made up of players, coaches and directors. More than anything else it's the supporters who make a club, and that perhaps is the ingredient which best distinguishes Liverpool Football Club from every other team. The supporters." - Luis Javier García Sanz

Thanks Kenny, for making us believe again. YNWA

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: February 17, 2013, 03:28:04 pm »
Restrepo is superb.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline stevied

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: February 18, 2013, 07:25:05 pm »
Walking Wounded Channel 4 Thursday 21st at 10 pm, just seen the subject on the One Show

While he was embedded with the US army in Afghanistan, British humanitarian photographer Giles Duley stepped on an IED (improvised explosive device).

The explosion left him with horrific injuries and, ultimately, as a triple amputee.

A year and a half after sustaining injuries that left him hovering between life and death for months, he kept the promise he made to himself on the day of the incident: to return to Afghanistan to complete his work documenting the impact of the invasion on civilians, and now focusing on the wounded who have sustained injuries similar to his.

This film documents Giles's courageous return to Afghanistan as he undertakes his first major photographic assignment since the explosion, in the country where he very nearly lost his life.
i can tip em but cant back em

RAWK Aintree tipping champ 2013

Offline RojoLeón

• Brentie's #1 fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: February 19, 2013, 12:29:07 am »
Saw a few docus recently.

You've Been Trumped

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1943873/
In this David and Goliath story for the 21st century, a group of proud Scottish homeowners take on celebrity tycoon Donald Trump as he buys up one of Scotland's last wilderness areas to build a golf resort.

Excellent, though depressingly predictable.

Oliver Stone's Untold History of the United States

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Stone%27s_Untold_History_of_the_United_States

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1494191/

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/25/magazine/oliver-stone-rewrites-history-again.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

re episode 7, which focuses on Vietnam

The carnage brought to Southeast Asia by the United States is mind-boggling, as Stone and Kuznick document:

*nearly four million Vietnamese killed.

*more bombs dropped on Vietnam than by all sides in all previous wars throughout history, and three times more dropped than by all sides in the Second World War.

*19,000,000 gallons of herbicide poisoned the land.

*9,000 of 15,000 hamlets destroyed in the South of Vietnam.

*In the North, all six industrial cities devastated; 28 of 30 provincial towns and 96 of 116 district towns leveled by bombing.

*The United States threatened to use nuclear weapons thirteen times. Nixon chided Kissinger for being too squeamish about this. Nixon said he, himself, just didn’t give a damn.

*After the war, unexploded bombs and mines permeated the landscape and took an additional 42,000 lives. Millions of acres of land have still not been cleared of live ordnance.

*Agent Orange and other defoliants have caused severe health problems for millions of Vietnamese.

*Nearly all of Vietnam’s triple canopy forests were destroyed.

*3,000,000 tons of ordnance struck 100,000 sites during the “secret” war in Cambodia, causing widespread social dislocation, destruction of crops, and starvation. The U.S. bombing campaign in Cambodia was directly responsible for the rise of the Khmer Rouge under Pol Pot and the genocide that took place afterward (The United States actually sided with Pol Pot when Vietnamese troops finally ended his reign of terror). Stone and Kuznick quote a Khmer Rouge officer:

Every time after there had been bombing, they would take the people to see the craters, to see how big and deep the craters were, to see how the earth had been gouged out and scorched … The ordinary people sometimes literally shit in their pants when the big bombs and shells came. Their minds just froze up and they would wander around mute for three or four days. Terrified and half crazy, the people were ready to believe what they were told. It was because of their dissatisfaction with the bombing that they kept on cooperating with the Khmer Rouge, joining up with the Khmer Rouge, sending their children off to go with them … Sometimes the bombs fell and hit little children, and their fathers would be all for the Khmer Rouge.

*2,756,941 tons of ordnance dropped in Laos on 113,716 sites. Much of the Laotian landscape was blown to bits.

At a news conference in 1977, in response to a reporter’s question asking if the United States had a moral obligation to help rebuild Vietnam, President Jimmy Carter infamously replied:

The destruction was mutual. We went to Vietnam without any desire to capture territory or impose American will on other people. I don’t feel that we ought to apologize or castigate ourselves or to assume the status of culpability.

Quality production, with a large number of audio and video footage of the main actors at play. Does not discuss JFK's murder beyond a cursory mention (no discussion of conspiracies). Overall is a compelling series and well worth watching.

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #178 on: February 19, 2013, 07:33:18 pm »
This thread is great, watched the imposter and it was brilliant.

I would recommend Black Tar heroin the dark end of the street,

Very very bleak but engrossing.

Mclibel, is not the best put together piece, but the story is really interesting.
Just watched this, very grim indeed. Well worth a watch.
At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: February 19, 2013, 08:53:40 pm »

The whole thing's on Youtube in four parts I think.
Watched this a while back. Pretty good. Beautiful valley, pity I'll never get to see it.

Offline ashy9

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: February 20, 2013, 01:58:48 am »
Thanks for The House I Live In - watched it the other day. Very good.

Watched a couple more that were really good.....

Overnight - this is brilliant and follows possibly one of the most obnoxious men you will ever see. Gets a big chance to release a movie and his ego spoils it all. He was the producer and writer of The Boondock Saints if you've ever heard of it. Well worth a watch and I bet there's loads more of these characters that have fallen by the wayside much the same way.

Hell and Back - about a US soldier who has come back from Afghanisthan injured and with PTSD.

Murderball - what a great doco, follows the US wheelchair rugby team. Incredible what these boys do and such a dangerous bash em up sport!

Undefeated - story of a Memphis school football team who are lucky enough to have an inspiring coach. The players all come from fairly difficult backgrounds. Really good.

Searching for Superman - about US education. Some of the way they do things are just incredibly crap.

On the other side of the coin do not whatever you do watch Hooligan narrated by Sean Bean. Dreadful! And next to the fantastic ones I've watched lately it was almost a comedy. SWERVE!

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: February 20, 2013, 03:12:17 am »
http://www.reddit.com/r/Documentaries/

There are loads of documentaries on Reddit if anyone's interested, majority of the YouTube links are posted too.
Thanks for this. Half way through this (two docs on Richard Feynman):

http://documentaryheaven.com/richard-feynman-no-ordinary-genius/

War Photographer - powerful images from James Nachtwey:

http://youtu.be/Eescl-Sa5wU
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 05:24:31 am by Twelfth Man »

Offline mccred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: February 21, 2013, 11:11:06 am »
Saw a few docus recently.

You've Been Trumped

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1943873/
Excellent, though depressingly predictable.

Oliver Stone's Untold History of the United States

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Stone%27s_Untold_History_of_the_United_States

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1494191/

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/25/magazine/oliver-stone-rewrites-history-again.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

re episode 7, which focuses on Vietnam

Quality production, with a large number of audio and video footage of the main actors at play. Does not discuss JFK's murder beyond a cursory mention (no discussion of conspiracies). Overall is a compelling series and well worth watching.

Was just going to post this. I think the Untold History of the United States was one of the best documentaries that I've seen in years.
Gives some fascinating insight into American's power brokers thoughts and their horrendous foreign policy since World War 2.
Don't think its been shown in the UK so far? It was also difficult at times to find torrents or cyberlockers to download it from.
Sadly the conclusion you come away from it after watching it is that the American powerful have learned nothing from their past and are repeating the same mistakes over and over.
The C.I.A. is just a legal form of gangsters who have committed or supported vile actions just about all over the globe.

Spoiler
Think one of Stones most memorial lines from many, is that " Bin Laden won, American forces may have killed him but he won. He bankrupted America in 2008 because America did exactly as he wanted them to and started wars they couldn't win. " The wars that were started because of his supposed actions, I don't know what really happened on 9/11 but never really seen one piece of solid evidence that showed Bin laden was the mastermind behind it. I know at first he denied any involvement but praised the Hi jackers, think he may of later said he was part of it but many terrorist groups claim responsibility for atrocities for many different reasons when they had nothing to do with it. 

Really interesting about the 2nd World War and especially the reasons for dropping 2 nuclear bombs on Japan. Pretty much states that all Japan wanted was a reassurance that the Emperor wouldn't be executed. Japan was on the verge of surrender because the day before the first bomb, USSR troops started an offensive in China against the Japanese, this shocked the Japanese to the point where surrender was inevitable. the bombs were dropped to show the USSR that America could piss further than them. Shameful.
Ironically after the Japanese surrendered, they left the Emperor in place.   
[close]

Sorry I'm no words smith but this was a great series. I knew a lot about what America had done in Central & South America from documentaries like John Pilger's "War On Democracy" and another from Oliver Stone which the name alludes me for, plus a lot I've read.
I'm not anti American or anti Israeli but its their people in power I hate and despise. I have no doubt their average man in the street is just the same as us, with the same goals, sadly their 1% let them down repeatedly. Just like most countries including ours.
Don't Ever,Ever Buy The S*n. Fucking Tory Scum.

FUCK OFF PUTIN!

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: February 21, 2013, 05:34:58 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/b01qxmwp/

Storyville on Anonymous 4chan etc.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/b01qxms3/

Storyville on Pirate bay

http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/b01qxmqc/

Storyville on Google and the World Brain.

All worth a watch.

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: February 28, 2013, 07:17:42 am »

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: February 28, 2013, 06:34:53 pm »
Another extraordinary Storyville "I will be murdered"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01qyvbp/Storyville_20122013_I_Will_Be_Murdered/

I won't say anything except that it's a bizarre story.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: March 6, 2013, 09:44:25 pm »
Just watched this:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2354205/

I thought it was excellent.

Agree with Alan-X about the Storyville 'I will be murdered'.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #187 on: March 6, 2013, 09:54:35 pm »
Doing a documentary module at university so I'm currently being theme-led through a range of classics:

- Began with Flaherty's 'Nanook of the North' - widely considered the first 'documentary'.
- Then we met Grierson, who first attemted to define the platform, and the films of the Documentary Film Movement...notably 'Coal Face', 'Night Mail', and 'Housing Problems'.
- Moved on to observation and the Maysles Brothers...'What's Happening: The Beatles in the USA' and 'Salesman'.
- Then journalistic forms...'World in Action: The Demonstration' and 'Panorama: Drugs - the Phoney War'
- Last week was testimonial documentary...'The Life and Times of Rosie the Riveter' and 'The Thin Blue Line'
- This week onto drama-documentary with 'Cathy Come Home'.

Brilliant module so far - brilliant films.

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: March 7, 2013, 07:14:48 pm »
Goodness.

Not been in this thread for some time, (not sure why really..  anyhoots), lots to catch up on I see.

Thanks!
@Yvanicuzz

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: March 7, 2013, 08:07:53 pm »
Forgot about this

Watched the imposter the other day. Pretty fucked up really

Also watched the Ali frazer documentary someone posted in here which was brilliant and also the documentary about the guy saying he will be murdered by the government - whiah was great as well
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Angelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: March 8, 2013, 07:05:21 am »
Great thread.

Based on recommendations by fellow posters and others, I have been on a bit of a documentary binge over the past couple of weeks and checked these out - The house I live in; Restrepo; Beats, Rhymes and Life - a documentary about the American hip-hop group, A Tribe called Quest; Searching for Sugarman; and something I had watched a while back which I don't think has been mentioned in this thread yet - Chasing Ice.

All of them are great shouts and wonderful documentaries.

Offline aaronaldo

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA
Re: Re: Awesome documentaries thread
« Reply #191 on: March 10, 2013, 08:47:22 pm »
Another extraordinary Storyville "I will be murdered"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01qyvbp/Storyville_20122013_I_Will_Be_Murdered/

I won't say anything except that it's a bizarre story.

Been looking everywhere for this but cant find a link, not even on the bbc anymore.

Anyone know of any places to watch this, sounds like a really good documentary.

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #192 on: March 22, 2013, 01:14:05 am »
Dramatisation of the investigation of the challenger disaster on iplayer was very good, based on real events.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p00zstkn/The_Challenger/
YNWA

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #193 on: March 22, 2013, 01:25:27 am »
What destroyed the Hindenburg.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/what-destroyed-the-hindenburg

No one knows why the Hindenburg airship crashed in 1937. Now, a team of experts build three scale models to put the leading theories to the test.

Offline NOTBORNIN1982

• and neither is he the best poster on here, not even close in fact. Maybe the 1982nd.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand
« Reply #194 on: March 22, 2013, 02:37:27 am »
I’m naturally drawn to stories of pain, destruction, death and the ongoing tragedy of life.

The Cove, How to Die in Oregon, My Flesh and Blood, Dear Zachary, Capturing the Friedmans, Children of Leningradsky and The Bridge are all devastatingly sad in their own way.

I don’t know why I watch this sort of stuff, I honestly don’t. I defy anyone to watch these documentaries without completely breaking down emotionally. No Hollywood film, fiction or non-, can ever prepare you for the reality of what goes on in the real world. As depicted in most of the above films, human dignity in the face of the unspeakable really is so powerful, it seems to draw out your emotion from a place you never knew existed.

In short, if you want to be left feeling heartbroken and overwhelmed then go ahead and watch them.
"How much do you smoke, sir? Two packs a day, is that right? Pussy. I go through two lighters a day. That's right, two lighters! You're a health nut compared to me."

Offline gerrardsarmy

• Wouldn't say no to a spanking
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: March 23, 2013, 07:16:28 am »
Just watched Mea Maxima Culpa:Silence in the House of God.

Documentary by renowned filmmaker Alex Gibney (did the Enron documentary and Taxi to the Dark Side, another brilliant film, which won the oscar for documentary feature.)

Chronicles the story of Lawrence C. Murphy, who was a preist and head administrator at St John's school for deaf children in Milwaukee and the first known protest of clerical sexual abuse in the USA. Follows four victims who testify to Father Murphy's wrongdoings and their subsequent battles with the Catholic Church and the law to bring him to justice.

Goes into depth about the above case and has information on similar cases along with the role of the Vatican, and now retired Pope Benedict in facilitating years of sexual abuse scandals around the world by their apparent priority to protect their image rather than seek help and justice for the victims. It is hard, when watching a documentary like this, which contains no Vatican testimony (they declined all interview opportunities), you wonder if both sides are being properly presented, but the overwhelming weight of facts presenting the behaviour of the Catholic Church as twisted, perverse and wrong just left me feeling angry, confused and quite staggered at the levels of apathy towards this issue.

It's quite a brilliant documentary, but watch it for yourself and you can make your own minds up.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 07:18:35 am by gerrardsarmy »
“I always think that there’s something unpleasant lurking in people who avoid drinking, gambling, table-talk and pretty women. People like that are either sick or secretly hate their fellow-men.”

Offline ashy9

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: March 25, 2013, 01:59:16 am »
Yep Mea Maxima Culpa is a good one. Very disturbing though.

Watched a few more over the weekend that I'd recommend. Also got Dear Zachary lined up for tonight which promises to be a fairly harrowing if thye reviews I've read are true.

Anvil. The Story of Anvil - this is brilliant. It's like a real life Spinal Tap! Was in a lot of best doco lists from 2008 I think.

Storyville - Murder on a Sunday Morning. This is long, nearly two hours but that time flies by. Details a court case involving a 15 year old african american accused of shooting a woman whilst on his way to apply for a job. They show the entirety of the court case which is really interesting and the incompetence shown by the police in particular is staggering. Well worth a watch.

Online .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: March 25, 2013, 09:16:29 am »
I've really been getting in to my nature documentaries recently.

Two of note include Secret Brazil which follows jaguars in Brazil's Pantanal region and Naked & Marooned with Ed Stafford. The title says it all really but Ed Stafford (the guy who hiked the length of the Amazon river a few years back) is marooned on an island 200km off the coast of Fiji without any clothes or supplies. He has a camera to film himself and has to survive for sixty days. It's a great watch.

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #198 on: March 25, 2013, 10:17:23 am »
Anything about Bobby Kennedy would be great. Any ideas? :)
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: March 25, 2013, 01:12:49 pm »
What destroyed the Hindenburg.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/what-destroyed-the-hindenburg

No one knows why the Hindenburg airship crashed in 1937. Now, a team of experts build three scale models to put the leading theories to the test.

It was really good this one, wasn't it?

In a similar sort of vein, and actually better than the Hindenberg one in my opinion, try and have a look at these 2. They are both brilliant:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2011/may/03/review-dowling-dambusters-bouncing-bomb

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/escape-from-colditz/4od