Author Topic: The Top Six Mini-League Thread... Sponsored by TENA  (Read 344092 times)

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
Re: The Top Six Mini-League and the Run In...
« Reply #80 on: March 18, 2017, 03:49:26 pm »
On form I have Manu slightly ahead of Arsenal now.
You try me once you beg for more.

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: March 18, 2017, 07:29:00 pm »
We should be aiming for 2nd or 3rd as Mau Utd and Leicester (I know it's unlikely) still in Europe

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: March 18, 2017, 07:48:47 pm »
Well well well. Starting to look tangibly realistic now.

I'll be more optimistic if we get the win as both Arsenal and utd have games in hand against us. 

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #83 on: March 18, 2017, 09:10:36 pm »
I'll be more optimistic if we get the win as both Arsenal and utd have games in hand against us. 

Yep win our next two games and we will be in a great position. Don't even want to think about it going the other way.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• You will always find him in the kitchen at parties (most likely alone in a corner with a half-empty glass of Tizer keeping his powder dry...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
« Reply #84 on: March 18, 2017, 09:16:06 pm »
At least it's in our own hands...but then again that does nothing to settle the nerves!
"Salahs in here......"

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2017, 07:02:15 pm »
I had us down as a 2-1 loss to City and didn't see the Arsenal result coming. I thought they'd fuck up but not there.

I think it's down to five clubs now. I can't see Arsenal making the top four. United are the real threat of the teams below us but they have a difficult run in plus Europe and two games in hand to fit in.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: March 19, 2017, 07:34:27 pm »
Everton
Bournemouth
Palace
Southampton
Middlesbrough

Surely we'll pick up maximum points here. That's us on 71 if we do.

Stoke
West Brom
Watford
West Ham

Got to expect minimum of 3 there. That's us on 74 if we do.

United would need 22 points from 11, 2 PPG, to match us, then overturn a -6 goal difference on us. That's with fixtures against

Everton (H)
Chelsea (H)
Arsenal (A)
Spurs (A)
City (A)

They might get 6 out of that, but I can't see it. Then they would need 16 from their other 6 games. 5 wins and a draw for a team that couldn't beat a 10 man Bournemouth. And also have European games to throw in. 

Arsenal need 24 from their 11 games.

City (H)
Spurs (A)
United (H)

I think they'll get 4 out of that.

So they would need 20 points from their other 8 games. 2.5 PPG In that 8 games they have tough trips to Palace and Stoke to contend with.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 07:36:01 pm by not trying anymore. Don't care. »
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline nayia2002

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • http://www.victoriacreperie.co.uk/
« Reply #87 on: March 19, 2017, 07:45:16 pm »
It will need a complete fuck up by us again(see January/Feb) to not finish in top 4 after this weekend results.

Really confident finishing 3rd as man city, utd, arsenal all play each other
who are you to judge the life i live?
i know im not perfect-and i dont live to be,
but before you start pointing fingers make
sure your hands are clean!.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: March 19, 2017, 07:48:21 pm »
Apart from Chelsea i think Spurs are strong favourites to finish top four. They may have lost Kane but they have some decent fixtures and their defence will always give them a chance.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #89 on: March 19, 2017, 07:48:44 pm »
Everton
Bournemouth
Palace
Southampton
Middlesbrough

Stoke
West Brom
Watford
West Ham

Got to expect minimum of 3 there. That's us on 74 if we do.

United would need 22 points from 11, 2 PPG, to match us, then overturn a -6 goal difference on us. That's with fixtures against

Everton (H)
Chelsea (H)
Arsenal (A)
Spurs (A)
City (A)

They might get 6 out of that, but I can't see it. Then they would need 16 from their other 6 games. 5 wins and a draw for a team that couldn't beat a 10 man Bournemouth. And also have European games to throw in. 

Arsenal need 24 from their 11 games.

City (H)
Spurs (A)
United (H)

I think they'll get 4 out of that.

So they would need 20 points from their other 8 games. 2.5 PPG In that 8 games they have tough trips to Palace and Stoke to contend with.
As I said in the other thread, its our away form that worries me. We'll need to pick up a handful of points on the road and it's going to be easier said than done. We've won 16 games this season, with six away. That's not disastrous on the face of it, but the last of those wins was three months ago. To make matters worse, three of the four matches are against teams who notoriously like a fight; Stoke, West Ham, WBA. We'll need two away wins or one and two draws to be absolutely sure, providing the home form holds up.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #90 on: March 19, 2017, 07:53:24 pm »
Pointless exercise trying to second guess the results of our remaining games, let alone Utd's or Spurs'.

Take one game at a time. As true today as its always been.
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Goalposts for Jumpers

• Mon Ranager's Alter-Ego.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #91 on: March 19, 2017, 07:53:32 pm »
Everton
Bournemouth
Palace
Southampton
Middlesbrough

Really?

the Ev and Palace are in very good form, not saying we won't beat them, but certainly not gimmes. Southampton and Bournemouth have already beaten us 3 times this season between them.

Seems inexplicably optimistic to say that we'll "surely" get maximum points from these fixtures.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: March 19, 2017, 07:55:49 pm »
Really?

the Ev and Palace are in very good form, not saying we won't beat them, but certainly not gimmes. Southampton and Bournemouth have already beaten us 3 times this season between them.

Seems inexplicably optimistic to say that we'll "surely" get maximum points from these fixtures.

We'll be favourites for every game, and we should be winning each one of them. Of course it's possible that we won't, but it's hard to see which one will be the game we don't win.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: March 19, 2017, 08:02:18 pm »
Apart from Chelsea i think Spurs are strong favourites to finish top four. They may have lost Kane but they have some decent fixtures and their defence will always give them a chance.

I agree.  Chelsea and Spurs are locks as, I think, are City.  It'll be one of us, Utd, Arse for the final spot in top 4. 

Offline Suareznumber7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: March 19, 2017, 08:03:00 pm »
Really?

Thankfully, Palace will be without their best defender when they play us. 

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: March 19, 2017, 08:15:21 pm »
I agree.  Chelsea and Spurs are locks as, I think, are City.  It'll be one of us, Utd, Arse for the final spot in top 4.

If it's down to us and those two, we're pretty much guaranteed top four.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #96 on: March 19, 2017, 08:20:04 pm »
Beat Everton and Bournemouth our next two games as we should because they suit us and Top 4 spot is ours to lose.

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: March 19, 2017, 08:24:04 pm »
Beat Everton and Bournemouth our next two games as we should because they suit us and Top 4 spot is ours to lose.

For sure. That'll be 2 less games that they can make points on us if we win them. It's all well and good having 1 or 2 games in hand. That doesn't mean you've got the points.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #98 on: March 19, 2017, 08:28:17 pm »
For sure. That'll be 2 less games that they can make points on us if we win them. It's all well and good having 1 or 2 games in hand. That doesn't mean you've got the points.
Utd and Arsenal are big teams we are most likely to finish above. We've only got Everton left while Utd has City and Arsenal away, Chelsea and Everton at home. Arsenal has Utd, City, Everton at home and Spurs away. We definitely have a good chance if we handle our business.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #99 on: March 19, 2017, 08:41:24 pm »
The worry is that the majority of our remaining games are against the middle third of the table and that is where our worst points total has come. We are 2.2 ppg against the top six, 1.92 ppg against the bottom third but only 1.82 against the middle third.

The only thing that has kept us in contact in the Top 4 race has been taking points of our rivals. We haven't got any more chances left so need to up our form against the middle third.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: March 19, 2017, 08:46:19 pm »
The worry is that the majority of our remaining games are against the middle third of the table and that is where our worst points total has come. We are 2.2 ppg against the top six, 1.92 ppg against the bottom third but only 1.82 against the middle third.

The only thing that has kept us in contact in the Top 4 race has been taking points of our rivals. We haven't got any more chances left so need to up our form against the middle third.

I think beating Burnley would have had a positive mental effect on the team, so hopefully that is a good sign for the rest of the season.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: March 19, 2017, 08:51:20 pm »
I dont know how City are a lock, when they have matches against Chelsea,Arsenal, and United. Chelsea are a lock. Even 2nd spot is open, not as much as 3rd and 4th place but its there.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #102 on: March 19, 2017, 08:52:51 pm »

I don't entirely agree. We have beaten a lot of the smaller teams already. While its true we have problems against certain tactics used by some smaller teams, doesn't mean we cannot still find a way to win. I am quite optimistic about getting a top four placing, our rivals will be taking points of one another, so there is plenty to play for. We can and I am sure will up our form, the important thing is the players have something to play for.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #103 on: March 19, 2017, 08:55:53 pm »
Agree with some of the posters. There is no point guessing as there are too many variables. We should go for a win for every game and let the other teams worry about us.

Ideally, we have to be in the Top 3 just so we don't get bumped out by Leicester winning the CL (shudder).

Offline bailey90

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #104 on: March 19, 2017, 09:05:41 pm »
Utd and Arsenal are big teams we are most likely to finish above. We've only got Everton left while Utd has City and Arsenal away, Chelsea and Everton at home. Arsenal has Utd, City, Everton at home and Spurs away. We definitely have a good chance if we handle our business.

Utd have to go to Spurs as well.
Twitter: @Bailey_90

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: March 19, 2017, 09:05:44 pm »
Ideally, we have to be in the Top 3 just so we don't get bumped out by Leicester winning the CL (shudder).

They won't win the Champions League, they've done well but there are too many big teams for them to get through. They play Atletico Madrid next, I would be surprised if they can get past them.

Offline DyingAtheist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: March 19, 2017, 09:07:54 pm »
If I had to guess I think we'll get 4th with Arsenal and United just behind us. Obviously it's not totally in our control but United and Arsenal have a much tougher run in than we do and United still have the Europa to compete with.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: March 19, 2017, 09:08:59 pm »
I think we'll get third - Chelsea, Spurs, us, City, Arsenal and United in that order. If Spurs collapse, we can get second/third.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: March 19, 2017, 09:10:30 pm »
If it's down to us and those two, we're pretty much guaranteed top four.
not sure how anyone could be that confident. Our fixture list is terrible
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline DyingAtheist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: March 19, 2017, 09:10:59 pm »
I think we'll get third - Chelsea, Spurs, us, City, Arsenal and United in that order. If Spurs collapse, we can get second/third.

If we can get some decent form you could be right. Didn't realise City had such a tough run in - Southampton, Arsenal and Chelsea all away in their next 4 games? Ouch.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: March 19, 2017, 09:13:38 pm »
not sure how anyone could be that confident. Our fixture list is terrible

Compare it to our rivals for top four and it's not that bad. We've shown that we can beat the smaller teams this season, I think the win against Burnley will have had a positive effect on our team.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: March 19, 2017, 09:15:32 pm »
They won't win the Champions League, they've done well but there are too many big teams for them to get through. They play Atletico Madrid next, I would be surprised if they can get past them.

Both teams play a similar smash and grab kind of game. Of course Atletico being more experienced but not sure if they had ever played against teams like Leicester that makes sucker punch their bread and butter.

If the fluke gods decide that Bayern and Real Madrid should go out, then Leicester has every chance to go even further than last 4.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: March 19, 2017, 09:16:16 pm »
Compare it to our rivals for top four and it's not that bad. We've shown that we can beat the smaller teams this season, I think the win against Burnley will have had a positive effect on our team.
The problem with the Burnley game was we were still pretty bad

I still think we'll do it though
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: March 19, 2017, 09:18:06 pm »
If we can get some decent form you could be right. Didn't realise City had such a tough run in - Southampton, Arsenal and Chelsea all away in their next 4 games? Ouch.

Arsenal is a write off now with a manager about to leave and players downing tools. They started to gift every team 3 points around 2 weeks ago.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: March 19, 2017, 10:15:25 pm »
The problem with the Burnley game was we were still pretty bad

I still think we'll do it though

You can't play well in all matches.

We should aim for 2nd, aim as high as possible right now, we got plenty to play for. No excuses.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: March 19, 2017, 10:17:21 pm »
You can't play well in all matches.

We should aim for 2nd, aim as high as possible right now, we got plenty to play for. No excuses.

Mathematically, even first is still possible!

(yes, yes, I know bar a collapse that Chelsea will win the league).

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #116 on: March 19, 2017, 10:27:42 pm »
Mathematically, even first is still possible!

fuck me Cheggers, even for you that's a stretch  ;D
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: March 19, 2017, 10:32:03 pm »
fuck me Cheggers, even for you that's a stretch  ;D

;D

Being realistic, I think we'll get somewhere between second and fourth.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #118 on: March 19, 2017, 10:34:14 pm »
FWIW a lot of these lesser teams will be on the beach having secured their PL status when they play us. I remember last season games like Stoke, Watford, Wba were practically friendlies and it was evident they weren't as motivated as usual. There will be easy games there for all of us, Utd and Arsenal but we only have one game left within the Top 7 - Arsenal and Utd have 4 and 5 respectively.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: March 19, 2017, 10:36:17 pm »
FWIW a lot of these lesser teams will be on the beach having secured their PL status when they play us. I remember last season games like Stoke, Watford, Wba were practically friendlies and it was evident they weren't as motivated as usual. There will be easy games there for all of us, Utd and Arsenal but we only have one game left within the Top 7 - Arsenal and Utd have 4 and 5 respectively.

Arsenal have the opposite problem to us in that they are poor against the big teams, whilst United won't beat the likes of Chelsea and City.