Author Topic: Lucas  (Read 143135 times)

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
Re: Lucas Leiva
« Reply #120 on: April 1, 2017, 07:58:35 pm »
Much prefer himin the midfield role. Was very good today!
Well he's no CB and he shouldn't really be played there (good game against spurs tho)

It's funny though, everytime I'm worried about him starting he does great
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Klippity Klopp

• LFC. For life! Yes! Not just for Kloppmas.....nooo.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #121 on: April 1, 2017, 07:59:56 pm »
People are obsessed with pace now days.

In a midfield two that might be an issue.

But in a midfield three, with two players ahead of him doing the energy & pressing.

Then he is a fine DM, with his reading of the game, tackling and heading ability.

Some of the criticism he has got over the years (when our win % is often better when he's in the side) is very sad.

Nice to see him get some credit.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #122 on: April 1, 2017, 08:10:11 pm »
Well he's no CB and he shouldn't really be played there (good game against spurs tho)

It's funny though, everytime I'm worried about him starting he does great

Against the park the bus teams though do we actually need two centre backs. As we develop then maybe Matip or Can could end up as a DM/Centre back.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #123 on: April 1, 2017, 08:17:53 pm »
Gini was his legs today and Lucas in that role, supported is the best DM at the club.
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: April 1, 2017, 08:23:10 pm »
Lucas has the best defensive brain and reading of the game of all our midfielders. He has lost his legs but when you tell him to sit and put two mobile runners alongside him in midfield, he is still a great DM.

Is the correct answer.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #125 on: April 1, 2017, 08:38:40 pm »
Exactly today showed how important a natural six is.

Hendo and Can are quality midfield players but they just don't have the defensive instincts or the calmness that Lucas brings to the game. Beating Lukaku in the air one moment and demanding the ball in tight situations the next. He completely bossed the midfield today.

Not sure using one good performance by Lucas to dig out our other - better by the way - CMs is really the point is it?

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #126 on: April 1, 2017, 08:54:05 pm »
Not sure using one good performance by Lucas to dig out our other - better by the way - CMs is really the point is it?

It wasn't meant to mate.

For me it just highlights the value of a natural six. I think when fit we have a really good front three but the mixture of the midfield three hasn't quite been right. I think Hendo, Gini, Can and Lallana are all quality players but none of them are entirely comfortable playing the six role.

They are all good enough to play the role but none of them are natural sixes. Put a natural six into the mix and for me it will transform our play. Lucas is now a squad player but sign a natural six of the ability of the aforementioned quartet and watch us fly.   
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #127 on: April 1, 2017, 08:56:14 pm »
thought we were guaranteed a loss today with him playing?
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: April 1, 2017, 09:00:01 pm »

Lucas often gives a good performance, he just seems to be the scapegoat for a lot of people.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: April 1, 2017, 09:05:06 pm »
Lucas often gives a good performance, he just seems to be the scapegoat for a lot of people.

Because he's given a ton of bad performances over the last 3 seasons.
Don't think he's scapegoated at all personally - if anything the opposite. 
Glad he played well today - hope he doesn't play during the run in; especially against the poorer teams.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: April 1, 2017, 09:13:31 pm »
Glad he played well today - hope he doesn't play during the run in; especially against the poorer teams.

He was scapegoated by a lot of our fans in his first few years, to be fair.

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #131 on: April 1, 2017, 09:16:41 pm »

Very much this. You'd rather not knock the guy after a good performance but the hyperbole that swells on here after a good performance from him means it needs to be balanced by a solid dose of realism.

Henderson is as much a natural 6, Emre is a natural 6 (or a CB for some, but certainly not an 8 ) but one has played that role significantly less and the other hasn't really had a consistent run as one since last year. He was very good today for a player who's legs went about 5 years ago and he's for the most part done an admirable job as a fill in central defender, but that's it.
« Last Edit: April 1, 2017, 09:18:44 pm by Chalky Boots »

Offline liverpool185

• Kopite
« Reply #132 on: April 1, 2017, 09:34:23 pm »
Klopp seems to love him and in all honesty i can see him staying for next season and being a back up.

He was fantastic today and looked so much better in the middle rather than at center back.
David Moyes, a woman beater without actually beating a woman.

Online ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #133 on: April 1, 2017, 09:36:09 pm »
Great performance from him although I hope it's his last season! You've been loyal Lucas and I'll remember you happily for today  :)

Offline stuartheal

• Kopite
« Reply #134 on: April 1, 2017, 09:44:03 pm »
Klopp gave him a big hug at the end of the game. He knew he did a really good job today. Fantastic professional and role model.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #135 on: April 1, 2017, 09:46:41 pm »
He was brilliant today, seemed to be all over the pitch and made a lot of vital interceptions and headers. Felt a bit like he knew he was probably playing in his last derby game, which made me feel a bit sad.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: April 1, 2017, 10:10:30 pm »
He was brilliant today, seemed to be all over the pitch and made a lot of vital interceptions and headers. Felt a bit like he knew he was probably playing in his last derby game, which made me feel a bit sad.

Not necessarily. Klopp has kept Sebastian Kehl at Dortmund in the same role as Lucas until the age of 35.

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: April 1, 2017, 10:18:28 pm »
Boss.
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: April 1, 2017, 10:19:19 pm »
Not necessarily. Klopp has kept Sebastian Kehl at Dortmund in the same role as Lucas until the age of 35.

A lot slower league.

Lucas was good today. Credit to him.

Online TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #139 on: April 1, 2017, 10:20:23 pm »
Immense today. Would be more than happy to see him stay for another season.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Kopite B205

• Loves Siemen. And Judge Judy. But not at the same time.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In my life, we've won them all.
« Reply #140 on: April 1, 2017, 10:25:15 pm »
Rolled back the years today. Well done Lucas lad!
Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #141 on: April 1, 2017, 10:27:27 pm »

Was not surprised by his performance with Gini and Emre running ahead of him. There is a reason that Klopp likes him.

As others have written, it was a showcase of what a real DM can do to calm the defence and coolly build the attack from deep.

As much as I love Lucas, I don't see him staying. He'll want to play every day this late in his career. And he'll be better in a slower league that is more forgiving. Unless he wants to stay in the area for family reasons like Kolo did.

"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: April 1, 2017, 10:45:31 pm »

Read the pre match thread from.today. people touting Woodburn to start ahead of him . Ridiculous stuff

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #143 on: April 1, 2017, 10:46:32 pm »
Writing Lucas off too soon is a summer tradition among LFC fans.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: April 1, 2017, 10:59:20 pm »
He's fucking mint. I love him.

Offline lucid-tentacles

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Living for the moment
« Reply #145 on: April 1, 2017, 11:20:55 pm »
I love the guy. Didn't give Lukaku a sniff all match
I don't mind waitin', don't mind waitin'
Cause no matter how long it takes
All of us know
That it's getting better
Growing stronger, warm and wilder
Getting better everyday,

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: April 1, 2017, 11:33:14 pm »

I think this is pretty harsh mate, to be fair. There's been games where he hasn't done much, and games where he's made the odd mistake (as all players do) but I've seen very few "bad performances" and he's always given his all. I just don't think, since his injury, that his all is quite enough for the level we aspire to, but the stick he gets on here is a bit over the top in my opinion, especially for a player who loves the club and seems like a thoroughly decent bloke and a top professional.

I'm not meaning to have a go, but the downer people have on Lucas has always really pissed me off - he's never, ever deserved it.

I tend to agree, however, that I'd rather he didn't play against the poorer teams - he's not exactly the most creative. Against sides who'll have a go though, he can be very useful. I know Everton weren't particularly great today but I thought he did a fantastic job shielding the back four.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: April 1, 2017, 11:55:59 pm »
Read the pre match thread from.today. people touting Woodburn to start ahead of him . Ridiculous stuff

It wasn't ridiculous at all. They're completely different players. Playing an attacking player like for like for Lallana (coutinho, woodburn or milner) and keeping Can at the 6 was a perfectly good option for us. 

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: April 2, 2017, 12:19:38 am »

I think the way it is now is that people are so entrenched in their own opinion of players that the chances of them ceding any ground on what they think is virtually nil. Sakho and Lucas are particularly strong examples of that in that they'll always be criticised or at best given backhanded complements regardless.

The pre match thread discussion/whinging concerning Lucas and Can was sad at the time but quite funny in hindsight.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: April 2, 2017, 12:29:49 am »
I think the way it is now is that people are so entrenched in their own opinion of players that the chances of them ceding any ground on what they think is virtually nil. Sakho and Lucas are particularly strong examples of that in that they'll always be criticised or at best given backhanded complements regardless.

The pre match thread discussion/whinging concerning Lucas and Can was sad at the time but quite funny in hindsight.

I was surprised that the usual mass whinging and whining about the lineup once it was announced was actually very low this time.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #150 on: April 2, 2017, 12:47:57 am »
Rolled back the years today. Well done Lucas lad!
Yep. A foreign lad who knows what the derby means. He's always been key to the derbies- from the day Rafa took off Gerrard for him and his first derby where he woulda scored if not for that ratfaced twat handling it on the line.

You need a bit of class to score goals in a derby, but guys like Lucas and Kuyt will run themselves into the ground and get down in the dirt; and that's why they shine in derbies where it's all about fight, spirit and endurance.
« Last Edit: April 2, 2017, 12:58:28 am by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #151 on: April 2, 2017, 12:48:43 am »
I love the guy. Didn't give Lukaku a sniff all match

UNLUCKEEE!!!
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline me76

• It's all in the reflexes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Believer
« Reply #152 on: April 2, 2017, 01:00:16 am »
Brilliant performance today Lucas!  Great job!  Great attitude. 
Jürgen Klopp: "I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #153 on: April 2, 2017, 05:50:53 am »

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: April 2, 2017, 06:28:12 am »
One more year!

One more year!

One more year!

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: April 2, 2017, 07:56:54 am »
I was surprised that the usual mass whinging and whining about the lineup once it was announced was actually very low this time.

I think that's because people got it out of their system in the preceding 24 hours.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #156 on: April 2, 2017, 08:03:11 am »
It runs out at the end of this season, and there's no sign that Klopp wants it extended. After being overtaken by Henderson for the base CM role last season, his best chance of earning an extension was to grab the switch to 3rd CB, but he's been overtaken there by Klavan as well. The only chance I can see is that Henderson's injury proves chronic and Klopp doesn't want to rely on chances in the transfer market, but that relies on wishing bad luck on one of our players and wanting inactivity in the summer window. Not something I'd want to see in either case. Let's just appreciate the effort he's put in over the years, and his record as the ultimate professional (I don't think anyone in the PL era has shown a more exemplary attitude, whatever one's doubts about him as a player).

We need another 6 or 7 now to add to the squad with Europe next season given the shocking lack of depth. If we let a few like Lucas, Sturridge and Moreno go then we'd need 9 or 10.

Just look at the bench against Bournemouth if Origi starts for Mane.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: April 2, 2017, 08:19:46 am »
For all the stick he took in the pre match thread.. Lucas say FUCK YOU..  :wave
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline WaterfordRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #158 on: April 2, 2017, 08:23:50 am »
Lucas did exactly what was needed and did it well.
Good performance and should be around for another year.
SOS 8040

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #159 on: April 2, 2017, 08:45:46 am »
Lucas did exactly what was needed and did it well.
Good performance and should be around for another year.

Depends on a few things really. He's good for that sort of game, he's clearly a model pro and is good to have around the place. But he's on pretty big money (considering how often he plays) and he's clearly not about to improve. We need to be looking at signing at least one new CM and one new CB IMO this summer anyway, minimum, so just don't see how we could really justify signing him for another year. But maybe.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.