Author Topic: Atmosphere at Anfield  (Read 1757558 times)

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
Re: Let's Improve the Atmosphere at Anfield (split from Fortress Anfield)
« Reply #8120 on: May 21, 2017, 03:56:20 pm »
I know it's a nervy situation, but sort it out Anfield. Fuck what's happening elsewhere, yous aren't helping.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #8121 on: May 21, 2017, 10:25:48 pm »
Had to sell me ticket :( (face value of course) looks like I missed an excellent day today.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At this particular moment in time
« Reply #8122 on: May 21, 2017, 10:43:56 pm »
Was in U2 today, high up, not terrible when it comes to general chanting ('oh when the reds' etc) but only a handful know the wider songbook - struggled to get 'bring on yer Internazionale' going at 3-0, a few lads joined in
'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #8123 on: May 22, 2017, 12:36:19 am »
Never thought I'd see Pyro in the main stand 😀

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8124 on: May 22, 2017, 12:40:27 am »
Bit of a lame effort though
'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'

Online swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8125 on: May 22, 2017, 12:45:11 am »
Never thought I'd see Pyro in the main stand 😀

2 lots infact ;D

Offline Tjfruits

• Anny Roader

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8127 on: May 22, 2017, 07:30:58 am »
1 lad got turfed out, another appeared and had a few seconds uninterrupted holding up his pyro.

304 was very solid yesterday I thought.

Offline koptommy93

• Legacy Fan
  • @tharris113
« Reply #8128 on: May 22, 2017, 10:17:05 am »
Was good in patches. Bit annoying that everybody shut up when it went to 3-0. That was the perfect time to sing in my opinion.
I for one welcome our new insect overloads

Offline PoetryInMotion96

• Anny Roader
  • His First Name Is Lucas
« Reply #8129 on: May 22, 2017, 10:20:37 am »
Great lot round me in 105 today. Genuinely believe the 3pm KO makes a huge difference

Offline ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #8130 on: May 22, 2017, 10:29:31 am »
Was good in patches. Bit annoying that everybody shut up when it went to 3-0. That was the perfect time to sing in my opinion.

Yeah it was a strange one really! At 3-0 up it went silent, we had pretty much done the job and that was our chance to celebrate...

Was in U1, thought the atmosphere was good for most of it up until 3-0

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8131 on: May 22, 2017, 10:39:46 am »
Was in U2 today, high up, not terrible when it comes to general chanting ('oh when the reds' etc) but only a handful know the wider songbook - struggled to get 'bring on yer Internazionale' going at 3-0, a few lads joined in

Expecting a bit too much.  The Main Stand, historically as never got behind the team and when a match is tight general chanting is the best.  It's general chanting that helps the players.

Never went but that sounds to me exactly what I'd want in an important match.  Doesn't surprise me at all that the singing stopped at 3-0.  More of a case of job done, rather than ey aye adio we've finished fourth.
With me 3 star jumper half way up me back!

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #8132 on: May 22, 2017, 04:14:24 pm »
Thought it was really good, the whole Kop being allowed to stand all game helped a lot. One of the best of the season.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #8133 on: May 22, 2017, 09:40:58 pm »
Thought it was really good, the whole Kop being allowed to stand all game helped a lot. One of the best of the season.

Deffo. some good renditions of old favourites and concerted attempts to get Every other saturday going for about the 323rd time. as loud as its been all season for me in parts, great YNWA and applause for Dicko as well.

Good day all round, helped by a load of ale afterwards
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline AnnieRoad93

• Main Stander
« Reply #8134 on: May 22, 2017, 09:55:49 pm »
My ST is in the main stand but for one reason or another sat in the kop yesterday. I was impressed with the amount of singing to be honest I thought it was a good atmosphere.

But after the game I spoke to my dad who sat in his usual main stand seat and he said it was quiet from the kop. Maybe the noise doesn't travel well I don't know. This season has improved in terms of atmosphere. Still not perfect but it's going in the right direction
Underneath the floodlights down in Düsseldorf...

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #8135 on: May 22, 2017, 10:13:35 pm »
My ST is in the main stand but for one reason or another sat in the kop yesterday. I was impressed with the amount of singing to be honest I thought it was a good atmosphere.

But after the game I spoke to my dad who sat in his usual main stand seat and he said it was quiet from the kop. Maybe the noise doesn't travel well I don't know. This season has improved in terms of atmosphere. Still not perfect but it's going in the right direction

I am really hoping that getting some European nights under our belts will improve the atmosphere. But it's good to hear that some have felt an improvement.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline MinnyRed

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8136 on: May 23, 2017, 12:09:29 am »
Sorry, really curious and have to ask...

Why have our player songs become so...well, basic?

Exact same songs for Origi, Lallana, Bobby. Similar (name only) songs for Gini, mane, and Klopp. Half hearted KK song for Daniel. Are we just missing that "star" or fan fav?  Miss the days of Stevie, Luis, Torres, Garcia, etc.

Offline Tjfruits

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8137 on: May 23, 2017, 08:07:31 am »

Exact same songs for Origi, Lallana, Bobby. Similar (name only) songs for Gini, mane, and Klopp. Half hearted KK song for Daniel. Are we just missing that "star" or fan fav?  Miss the days of Stevie, Luis, Torres, Garcia, etc.
Echo this. Could we have a thread for coming up with some new belters

Offline OzBomber

• Favourite manager Tommy Tootchel favourite Player Naby 'lid' Kyta
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8138 on: May 23, 2017, 08:16:20 am »

Could it actually be down to the fact that we haven't been in the Champions League? Back in the 2000s you get those big away trips so you have thousands of Reds drinking for hours in foreign cities coming up with new chants which then kick on at Anfield. All the recent half decent chants (Gini, Mane, Suarez) were all started on away trips. Hopefully if we can qualify for the CL this will have a positive effect on player songs.

Offline Tjfruits

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8139 on: May 23, 2017, 10:14:44 am »
Could it actually be down to the fact that we haven't been in the Champions League? Back in the 2000s you get those big away trips so you have thousands of Reds drinking for hours in foreign cities coming up with new chants which then kick on at Anfield. All the recent half decent chants (Gini, Mane, Suarez) were all started on away trips. Hopefully if we can qualify for the CL this will have a positive effect on player songs.
Hopefully, If sturridge stays fit his song needs to return

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8140 on: May 23, 2017, 10:49:08 am »

Having different songs for each player is fairly new, started around 2,002 a year after the treble.  Before that we only ever did have basic chants for all players with just a very few exceptions, e.g. Dalglish, who had two songs.

Some of our best ever players have had basic songs, e.g. Rush, Barnes, Souness, Hansen.  Some of those did have other songs that were sung on the coaches / pubs but never in the ground.  United were always into a wide range of songs and we just the piss out of their nursery rhymes.

Simple chants are the loudest and always have been.  I prefer sing songs to stay in the pubs and lots of general noise in the ground, with some of our traditional songs being sung in the right circumstances.  I hate it when we're trying to defend a free kick and 306 decide to belt out Every Other Saturday when everybody should be laying into the ref for giving a free kick. 

Offline Aldo96

• Anny Roader
  • Scousers Rule The Country - Kop STH
« Reply #8141 on: May 23, 2017, 03:31:46 pm »
Great lot round me in 105 today. Genuinely believe the 3pm KO makes a huge difference

Much better in 105 today, a lot to do with not getting told to sit in my opinion!
Liverpool is a soul mate, you can never fall out of love.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Offline PoetryInMotion96

• Anny Roader
  • His First Name Is Lucas
« Reply #8142 on: May 23, 2017, 03:53:23 pm »
Much better in 105 today, a lot to do with not getting told to sit in my opinion!
Great shout that 😂😂

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #8143 on: May 23, 2017, 03:54:27 pm »
Having different songs for each player is fairly new, started around 2,002 a year after the treble.  Before that we only ever did have basic chants for all players with just a very few exceptions, e.g. Dalglish, who had two songs.

That's not true. Many of the simple chants were handed down from player to player, for sure. Alan Hansen inherited the Alun Evans song, for example, and Mark Lawrenson inherited Ray Kennedy's. But other players had songs that were unique to them and not heard on any other football terrace in England. Off the top of my head I can think of Bobby Graham, Tommy Lawrence, Ian St John, Roger Hunt, Emlyn Hughes, Ian Callaghan, Tommy Smith, Kevin Keegan, John Toshack. I'm sure there are more.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8144 on: May 23, 2017, 04:58:42 pm »
That's not true. Many of the simple chants were handed down from player to player, for sure. Alan Hansen inherited the Alun Evans song, for example, and Mark Lawrenson inherited Ray Kennedy's. But other players had songs that were unique to them and not heard on any other football terrace in England. Off the top of my head I can think of Bobby Graham, Tommy Lawrence, Ian St John, Roger Hunt, Emlyn Hughes, Ian Callaghan, Tommy Smith, Kevin Keegan, John Toshack. I'm sure there are more.

St John - Dalglish clap.
Roger Hunt is wonderful, or ee eye adio.
It's Cally, da da da da
Toshack - Dalglish clap - unless if you're on about 'Toshack is our King'.  I'd class that as more of a Liverpool song than a player song.

Emlyn, yes he had his own song.  All of the others I'd say are pretty generic.  Although I couldn't comment on Bobby Graham or Tommy Lawrence.  Thinking of Lawrence, Grobbellar had his own song.

All the effort to have a different song for each player in the team began around 2002.  You've just given a list of people who had slightly different songs going back to the beginning of time.

I'd prefer people to just chant the players name rather than thinking too hard about whether it's shit or not.  Leave that sort of bollocks to United like we used to.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #8145 on: May 23, 2017, 05:34:58 pm »

All the effort to have a different song for each player in the team began around 2002.  You've just given a list of people who had slightly different songs going back to the beginning of time.

Are you sure?  ;D....

Aloette, When the Saints Go Marching In, The Mighty Quinn, Men of Harlech, Trumpet Voluntary, Viva Bobby Joe, Na Na Hey Hey, Ee Aye Addio, Jesus Christ Superstar, Aintree Iron.

That's quite a variety of songs. The world didn't begin in the Premier League era y'know.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Tjfruits

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8146 on: May 23, 2017, 06:52:29 pm »
St John - Dalglish clap.
Roger Hunt is wonderful, or ee eye adio.
It's Cally, da da da da
Toshack - Dalglish clap - unless if you're on about 'Toshack is our King'.  I'd class that as more of a Liverpool song than a player song.

Emlyn, yes he had his own song.  All of the others I'd say are pretty generic.  Although I couldn't comment on Bobby Graham or Tommy Lawrence.  Thinking of Lawrence, Grobbellar had his own song.

I'd prefer people to just chant the players name rather than thinking too hard about whether it's shit or not.  Leave that sort of bollocks to United like we used to.
Fair enough, personally think we can do better than a clap and chant. Nothing better than bouncing to the Torres or Suarez song.

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8147 on: May 23, 2017, 06:52:45 pm »
Been going since the late 60's with my mates from 72 and while there are things I think you're right on Superwool and I agree with the jist of what you're saying, I thought the same as Yorkie, we invented it and where the most productive and making both chants and songs. Man U were never anything more than a pale intimation of us.

As the players came out we had a simple chant for every one of them as they were warming up but by then we'd been in the ground an hour and we always sang a mixture of simple chants and songs. They key was it wasn't either or, but both, and we knew when to sing and when to chant and build up the atmosphere. Poor Scouser Tommy was sang in full from, I am a Liverpudlian, we sung things like 'we don't carry bottles' and 'the Reds are coming up the hill boys', 'Those were the days my friend' in full every week, we made up songs all the time Chrimbo would bring out Carols like 'oh come let us adore them, we were a million times more inventive than today. your right that we'd would launch into the ref, 'his arse is on his head' etc and away fans were shut up quickly with wit or intimidation, 'you're going home in a fucking ambulance' etc, there's a wooly over there', none of them taking the piss like they do today.

Today I totally agree with you about some chants today, the demographic has changed, just after the goal this week, we get the Rangers dirge 'every other satdee'  a shite song that was hardly ever sung in the ground during the 70's as a badge of honour, which killed the atmosphere as half the ground don't know it and it kills an atmosphere that needs building. sad when half the ground don't know, the words to the generic Lucas song when it needed singing, in the past he'd have had a spontaneous Lucas is a Scouser etc as well as his song., the thing though is two have both in the repertoire, chants and chorus's to get the ground going at key events and songs that are a bit more inventive than an old Rangers Song.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline Tjfruits

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8148 on: May 23, 2017, 06:57:18 pm »
Been going since the late 60's with my mates from 72 and while there are things I think you're right on Superwool and I agree with the jist of what you're saying, I thought the same as Yorkie, we invented it and where the most productive and making both chants and songs. Man U were never anything more than a pale intimation of us.

As the players came out we had a simple chant for every one of them as they were warming up but by then we'd been in the ground an hour and we always sang a mixture of simple chants and songs. They key was it wasn't either or, but both, and we knew when to sing and when to chant and build up the atmosphere. Poor Scouser Tommy was sang in full from, I am a Liverpudlian, we sung things like 'we don't carry bottles' and 'the Reds are coming up the hill boys', 'Those were the days my friend' in full every week, we made up songs all the time Chrimbo would bring out Carols like 'oh come let us adore them, we were a million times more inventive than today. your right that we'd would launch into the ref, 'his arse is on his head' etc and away fans were shut up quickly with wit or intimidation, 'you're going home in a fucking ambulance' etc, there's a wooly over there', none of them taking the piss like they do today.

Today I totally agree with you about some chants today, the demographic has changed, just after the goal this week, we get the Rangers dirge 'every other satdee'  a shite song that was hardly ever sung in the ground during the 70's as a badge of honour, which killed the atmosphere as half the ground don't know it and it kills an atmosphere that needs building. sad when half the ground don't know, the words to the generic Lucas song when it needed singing, in the past he'd have had a spontaneous Lucas is a Scouser etc as well as his song., the thing though is two have both in the repertoire, chants and chorus's to get the ground going at key events and songs that are a bit more inventive than an old Rangers Song.
Brilliant post. Don't think those levels will ever be reached again   :(

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8149 on: May 23, 2017, 07:53:23 pm »
btw changed your name back. Can't call you super wool ;D

Online andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8150 on: May 23, 2017, 09:00:15 pm »
Need to stop singing Every Other Saturday every second song.   Needs to be sung with a bit more passion too rather than degenerating into "Oh Kenny".    Poor Scouser Tommy dies the death too with a desperate rush to get through the words as quickly as possible. 
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8151 on: May 23, 2017, 09:29:42 pm »
They key was it wasn't either or, but both, and we knew when to sing and when to chant and build up the atmosphere. Poor Scouser Tommy was sang in full from, I am a Liverpudlian, we sung things like 'we don't carry bottles' and 'the Reds are coming up the hill boys', 'Those were the days my friend' in full every week.

Knowing when to sing and when to chant, is kind of what I was getting at. 

Separately, when I started going songs like 'carry bottles' 'coming up the hill' 'Those were the days', people sang it like they meant it.  Half of them really did mean it, and a proportion of those went down the Road End at ten past nine to deliver on their promise.  Thankfully, that's all gone but it's a bit of a double edged sword.  If you're singing it like you don't mean it then you're probably in block 306 ticking it off your hymm sheet, just to prove how knowledgeable you are.  Stick to songs you mean.

I've stopped going.  I can't get away with singing 'Who's the Bastard in the Black' or 'Die You Bastard Die' when an opposition player is rolling around like he's had a stroke after being brushed against.

I do wish people would sing instinctively rather than trying to be clever.  Some songs are great after  few pints before the match, or when we're three nil up.  The same songs are completely shite when we're only 1-0 up and trying to defend a corner but 306 need to fit in their full repertoire. 

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8152 on: May 23, 2017, 09:31:03 pm »
btw changed your name back. Can't call you super wool ;D

Ta, fuckin' Claire!

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8153 on: May 23, 2017, 09:41:15 pm »

Separately, when I started going songs like 'carry bottles' 'coming up the hill' 'Those were the days', people sang it like they meant it.  Half of them really did mean it, and a proportion of those went down the Road End at ten past nine to deliver on their promise.  Thankfully, that's all gone but it's a bit of a double edged sword.  If you're singing it like you don't mean it then you're probably in block 306 ticking it off your hymm sheet, just to prove how knowledgeable you are.  Stick to songs you mean.

I've stopped going.  I can't get away with singing 'Who's the Bastard in the Black' or 'Die You Bastard Die' when an opposition player is rolling around like he's had a stroke after being brushed against.

I do wish people would sing instinctively rather than trying to be clever.  Some songs are great after  few pints before the match, or when we're three nil up.  The same songs are completely shite when we're only 1-0 up and trying to defend a corner but 306 need to fit in their full repertoire.

'Those were the days' last season in Europa League at OT being the perfect example of fitting the song to the circumstances

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8154 on: May 23, 2017, 09:54:43 pm »
'Those were the days' last season in Europa League at OT being the perfect example of fitting the song to the circumstances

Well, kind of.  If you feel angry, let it out and get it off your chest.  But if you're in 306 when we're 3-0 up at home to West Brom and nobody's feeling angry then don't be surprised if people can't be arsed to join in.  'Oh I do Like to be beside the seaside', if you're feeing nostalgic.

Offline the 92A

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8155 on: May 23, 2017, 11:29:53 pm »

Know what you mean. I'm still like a little kid trying to get songs going in the main stand and it pisses me off when you're fighting to get something going and you hear 306 faintly singing to themselves.The RTK was a great idea but  without young kids in the ground making up their own culture it ends up just a gang of granddads with their Adidas trainees stuck in aspic, dressing like when they were 16, if we could regrow our wedges we would The kiddas all wear Nike now. It's not our fault we tried to pass on our traditions but there was no one there to pass it onto. Even if they could get tickets you're not getting gangs of mates going together on the bus at £50 a throw, we were 15/ 16 when we fucked off the old guard in the Kop and they were in their twenties ot their 40's and 50's. The only way longterm I can see the atmosphere improving significantly is  when we get safe standing and cheap tickets.

Offline the 92A

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8156 on: May 23, 2017, 11:31:45 pm »
Ta, fuckin' Claire!
Proper Scouser Claire. Hard as nails when she's angry ;D

Offline Tjfruits

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8157 on: May 24, 2017, 08:02:53 am »
Know what you mean. I'm still like a little kid trying to get songs going in the main stand and it pisses me off when you're fighting to get something going and you hear 306 faintly singing to themselves.The RTK was a great idea but  without young kids in the ground making up their own culture it ends up just a gang of granddads with their Adidas trainees stuck in aspic, dressing like when they were 16, if we could regrow our wedges we would The kiddas all wear Nike now. It's not our fault we tried to pass on our traditions but there was no one there to pass it onto. Even if they could get tickets you're not getting gangs of mates going together on the bus at £50 a throw, we were 15/ 16 when we fucked off the old guard in the Kop and they were in their twenties ot their 40's and 50's. The only way longterm I can see the atmosphere improving significantly is  when we get safe standing and cheap tickets.
We need SOS to get behind the safe standing

Offline hawkwind

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8158 on: May 24, 2017, 08:15:31 am »
A simple bounce chant used to be "we are the kop"

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8159 on: May 24, 2017, 08:43:28 am »
Well, kind of.  If you feel angry, let it out and get it off your chest.  But if you're in 306 when we're 3-0 up at home to West Brom and nobody's feeling angry then don't be surprised if people can't be arsed to join in.  'Oh I do Like to be beside the seaside', if you're feeing nostalgic.

I meant in response to the shenanigans when the 'magnificent 7' revealed themselves but yes, get your point