Author Topic: Bruno Cheyrou  (Read 83282 times)

RedLoner

Re:Bruno Cheyrou
« Reply #80 on: August 26, 2002, 04:08:48 am »
I hope he doesn't get influenced by his wife when we play Chelsea  ;)  

Interesting article; Cheyrou caught my eye in the few minutes he played on Saturday, I think he's got a bright future with us.

Offline Stevo

• Not unique in his worship of Erik Meijer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: August 27, 2002, 05:36:23 pm »
As long as hes wearing bright white boots his future will be very bright!

Think he looks a class act, tipped as the next Zidane my many.

Twinkle Toes Cheyrou

Offline Morgue

• Kemlynite
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop ... and in hope
Song for Cheyrou (If we get to see him) ...
« Reply #82 on: September 5, 2002, 03:25:47 pm »
I posted this on the liverpoolfc website and got a reasonable reaction - like to hear your views ...

Appreciate your thoughts (feel free to amend, adjust, slate) ....
To the tune of "Three German Officers in a tank - taboo taboo" (if any of you remember that one) - I believe originally it was "The animals went two by two" but I'm not sure.

"The Kop was look-ing for some class Cheyrou Cheyrou,
The Kop was look-ing for some class Cheyrou Cheyrou
The Kop was looking for some class, plenty of vision and able to pass
So Gerard went out and found Bruno Cheyrou"

Ta

Four - it's a magic number ..... and so is eighteen  :scarf

Offline Aidan_B

• Trust me, I am a doctor. HJC Champions - Nov 2003
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gone, perhaps forgotten
    • EnviroBuild
Re:Song for Cheyrou (If we get to see him) ...
« Reply #83 on: September 5, 2002, 03:33:30 pm »
It fits nicely to the tune, and is a lot better than the Mary Poppins song.  

Offline Adam

• Ballboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • A Liverbird Upon My Chest
« Reply #84 on: September 5, 2002, 03:50:29 pm »
I like it. But  like "were singin for you, coz you're Bruno Cheyrou" to the tune of that song off the car advert at the mo, "i'm stickin to you, coz im made out of glue"
She Loves You Yeh Yeh Yeh

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #85 on: September 5, 2002, 03:52:46 pm »
i like it too

Offline Adam

• Ballboy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: September 5, 2002, 03:59:58 pm »
Couldnt think of any other bits for it tho...

Offline Adam

• Ballboy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: September 5, 2002, 04:58:14 pm »
Hmm...to the tune of "I'm stickin to you, coz' I'm made out of glue"

We're singin for you, Coz' your Bruno Cheyrou
We know what you can do, if we give the ball to you

Hmm, just a thought! Amendments are welcome

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #88 on: September 5, 2002, 05:04:17 pm »
i think it smells, its just not got a good tune, deffo wont be sung by anyone...

do like the other one though
« Last Edit: September 5, 2002, 05:05:00 pm by Ben S »

Offline Morgue

• Kemlynite
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop ... and in hope
« Reply #89 on: September 5, 2002, 05:14:00 pm »
Any other comments?

Also - I've posted this in RAWK and liverpoolfc.tv message boards - anyone any other ideas as to well used boards (especially those used by people who actually go to the games) ?

Ta
Morgan
Four - it's a magic number ..... and so is eighteen  :scarf

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #90 on: September 5, 2002, 05:16:41 pm »
Try RAOTL and YNWA sites as people on there go to games as well.
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline Farman

• Heading off for a fruit based orgy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: September 5, 2002, 05:30:03 pm »
Good luck to ya - anything's better than that fucking "BROOONO, BROOONO".
The eternal silence of these infinite spaces frightens me

Offline Adam

• Ballboy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: September 5, 2002, 07:19:30 pm »
i think it smells, its just not got a good tune, deffo wont be sung by anyone...

do like the other one though

:'(

Offline -Duffy-

• HJC Champions - Nov 2003
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kop for Kopites
Bruno Cheyrou
« Reply #93 on: January 2, 2003, 08:30:03 pm »
Cheyrou was a player that i was looking forward to seeing especially when i heard great things about him against Lazio in pre-season but over the last couple of games, whilst he has been given his chance he hasn't done anything for me. He doesn't seem to know whats going on  ! He doesn't use the skill he has to beat a mean, his control is dire and he just seems to be a man that stands and watches.

I suppose this is something all French players will have whilst adapting to the Premiership because the two leagues are a total contrast to one another.

I believe that we hold a young Pires with us and i hope that he develops into one. He has the potential and he looks a very flairey and skillful player, its just a matter of time when it starts to pay off. Maybe next year we could be looking at the player of the year - as Pires was.

Offline alan j

• Main Stander
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #94 on: January 2, 2003, 09:02:56 pm »
I wasn't impressed with his performances either, but it's worth bearing in mind that not only is he still getting used to English football, he has also been out injured for the last 4 weeks and was pressed into action because of a lack of other options.

On the subject of Pires, I remember during the FA cup final against Arsenal there was one moment when I started to believe we could get back into it.

I think it was about 10 minutes from the end and Pires was standing wide on the left when a pass came to him. Instead of just playing a simple pass to a team mate he did a step over and let it roll by, obviously expecting a team mate to run onto the ball. The pass ran out of play and I remember thinking at the time that it was a sign of a lackadaisical and slightly arrogant attitude that could fire our players up a bit. That incident pretty much summed up his first season in England for me.

Of course 3 months later he started playing like a slightly more mobile Zidane and the rest is history...

Bruno has a hell of a lot of improving to do but I think he's got the ability to be a success. Probably not in time to save this season though.

Offline Byrnee

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool are Magic, Everton are Tragic
« Reply #95 on: January 3, 2003, 09:21:10 am »
Bruno will come good at the start of the season he said it will take time as he was surprised at how physical the Premiership is... but he promised Houllier he would work hard to settle in. Lets not forget he's been injured which affects any player let alone those who are new to this country...

8)

Give All The New Lads A Chance Or You May Rue Your Criticism
« Last Edit: January 3, 2003, 09:33:13 am by Byrnee »
'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.'
Bill Shankly

01 06 22 23 47 64 66 73 76 77 79 80 82 83 84 86 88 90 20

77 78 81 84 05 19

At The End Of The Storm I

Offline Barrettski

• No longer stuck to a goat or anything else with a beard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A teenage dream is so hard to beat
« Reply #96 on: January 3, 2003, 10:28:55 am »
Agreed Alan...

If you put yourself in Bruno's position then it's not a nice place to be at the moment.  You join a new team, in a new country, in a new league.  The team is a culture shock (albeit a pleasant one), the country is a culture shock (and probably not all nice to him) and the league is manic and fuck have things speeded up since pre-season...

Then you get injured for four weeks just as you think you've weathered the storm.

Then your first game back is when Liverpool desperately need something to smile about - so your performance is under so much more scrutiny.

Then on top of that your first game back is on a shitty quagmire of a pitch that you're simply not used to and by the looks of things haven't been told how to adapt to.

So you're subbed and panned by the critics... not easy to take for a young lad in a strange place, regardless of how talented you might be.

But that's the game... and his reaction and improvement now will make his career.. and probably make the man.

No pressure Bruno.   ;D
Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple - Bill Shankly.

Offline Life

• goes on.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: January 3, 2003, 11:05:40 am »
Cheyrou is class (unlike his chant) and will prove it one day.  Thought that day would have come by now, but still have every confidence he'll turn it around and prove to be a bargain.
"Why should they be used in any other way? It wouldn'a be fair for one thing. Natural ability is far too precious tae be messed about wi'."

Offline Ted Maul

• Under Cover
  • Main Stander
« Reply #98 on: January 4, 2003, 04:20:38 am »
after the lazio game i thought that cheyrou was going to be the final player that we needed to go from being title challengers to title winners. he looked extremely good in that game.

since then in the premier league games which he has played in he has been dissapointing. but yes it will take time for him to adjust to the pace of the premier league and also his injuries have not helped.

i still feel that cheyrou will be the creative spark that we need in our team. and hopefully like pires we will see the best of him in his 2nd season in england.

Offline Colum

• I'm looking for a row to happily settle down with
  • Legacy Fan
  • No more YES men!!!
« Reply #99 on: January 4, 2003, 06:10:42 am »

I believe that we hold a young Pires with us and i hope that he develops into one. He has the potential and he looks a very flairey and skillful player, its just a matter of time when it starts to pay off. Maybe next year we could be looking at the player of the year - as Pires was.

I believe that we hold a young Zidane with us and i hope that he develops into one. He has the potential and he looks a very skilled player, it is just a matter of time when it all starts to pay off. Maybe in the next few years we could be looking at the world player of the year - just as Zidane was.

:)
"in a universe that defies description, all systems of belief can only be false." -spare

Offline JayWay

• Main Stander
  • Godspeed you glorious Red warrior
« Reply #100 on: January 4, 2003, 10:18:27 am »
"I believe that we hold a young Zidane with us"

What makes you think that? Did you see him before he arrived at Liverpool?

hoonin

« Reply #101 on: January 4, 2003, 02:54:58 pm »
Sorry Duffy, but the first part of your post is crap, backed up by the fact that you negate your own starting points further down the post!!

You say you wanted to see him play after hearing so much about him, then in the same breath declare you feel disappointed by him because "he has done nothing for you".

As well as some bright pre-season performances he showed enough skill in one fleeting second against Soton for me to believe we have a quality player who should develop into something special.

Why has it become fashionable now to take the first opportunity to pick holes in new  players? Have we run out of established ones?

FFS, give the lad a chance before you pass judgement on him, he's had no more than a handful of chances - the same applies to Diuof and Diao.

Offline buckshee

• Sponsored by Apache Pizzas, Drumcondra
  • Kopite
  • I don't have a drink problem....honestly
« Reply #102 on: January 4, 2003, 05:17:33 pm »
he's class he is.......the whole team look decidedly shaky at the moment and he's only back from injury.....

GIVE HIM TIME .....you won't regret it
"We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" - Oscar Wilde

Offline -Duffy-

• HJC Champions - Nov 2003
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kop for Kopites
« Reply #103 on: January 4, 2003, 10:07:40 pm »
How is it crap?

In pre-season i heard a lot of positive facts about Bruno Cheyrou and hearing great things about a player you had just bought makes you want to see him in action.

I didn't go to the Lazio game but many people have said that he looked great. All these opinions from people obviously made an image on what sort of player he is.

I saw very little of him when he was at Lille and the parts that i saw (Champions League) he looked good.

So when he started to play for us, i was expecting more, thats how i have those two views.

Offline Morpheus

• Boys Pen
  • Our time will come again
« Reply #104 on: January 7, 2003, 08:21:00 pm »
We shouldn't be thinking that these new players would have got us the title this season. It seems that all the young foriegn players take at least a season to adapt so next season should have Diou, diouf & cheroyu fully adapted to both the them & the league.  Then we'll all be waiting for Le Tallac & Pongolle to do the samething.  
Next season we will challenge.

Offline KFC

• Legacy Fan
  • We go again.
« Reply #105 on: January 8, 2003, 03:00:04 am »
There is no way Cheyrou will be the next Zidane -- just look at the way he shoots : remind me of a certain Rivaldo.

But I can take the next Rivaldo at any date.... ;)
We won it 6 times

Offline Bob Kurac

• Cares.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Modern football is shit
Interesting Cheyrou piece ...
« Reply #106 on: February 23, 2003, 02:40:21 am »
Bruno fights the red corner

Ben Lyttleton

WHEN Bruno Cheyrou was at Lille with his younger brother Benoit, the pair were often confused for each other. "They called me Bruno," laughed Benoit, "and they called him Benoit. Of course that annoyed us but we ended up turning it to our advantage. Sometimes I answered journalists’ questions which were meant for him just to get my revenge."

Benoit went to Liverpool during France’s winter break over Christmas to watch his brother’s team in training. It was when the Anfield club were in the middle of their Premiership 11-game winless slump, and he did not dare pretend he was Bruno.

After all, it was Bruno who was criticised after Liverpool’s FA Cup defeat to Crystal Palace (fans bombarded local radio stations wondering why Danny Murphy and not Cheyrou had been substituted) and it was also Bruno who earlier this month lost his place in the France national squad.

He was back in France with Liverpool on Thursday, but stayed on the bench in Liverpool’s 1-0 UEFA Cup win at Auxerre, which moved a step closer the mouthwatering prospect of a quarter-final against Celtic. This afternoon, he will face Birmingham in a game Liverpool must win if they want to play Champions League football next year.

"I thought my adaptation would be easier," Cheyrou conceded this week. "When you arrive, you say to yourself, ‘I know football, the ball is round and there’s no reason for things not to go well’. The truth is somewhat different. You have to almost start again from zero, learn a new type of football and get used to a new culture."

Perhaps Cheyrou was fooled after a successful debut in a pre-season friendly against Lazio, when fans in the Kop started chanting his name. "I almost fell over when I heard them," he laughed.

But he has never regretted his decision to turn down French champions Lyon in favour of Anfield. "In some ways Lyon may have been a more logical step in that it would have been taking one step forward rather than two. But when you’re a footballer you don’t have your whole life ahead of you and I think my choice shows how ambitious I am.

"Competition is tough at Liverpool, where we have about 25 players who are all internationals. It’s ferocious but I knew what I was doing when I joined. When I arrived, I was just a good player in the French league, not yet an inter-national player.

"Liverpool is a big step up and that’s helping to bring on my game. When you’re at a club like Liverpool, it’s all about winning and trophies. I want to score goals and mark the history of Anfield. I’m realistic and I know what I’m worth, and that my progression and the chance to realise and achieve my goals can only come through hard work.

"It shouldn’t be too difficult to improve my CV," he added, "seeing as until now, the only thing on it is that I was a champion of the French second division."

When Liverpool coach Gerard Houllier spent £3.7 million on the 24-year-old last summer he declared he was buying "someone who could play like Zinedine Zidane". What he didn’t say is that in 1997, Cheyrou was kicked out of the Lens youth academy and was lucky to find a club prepared to take him on.

That’s when Vahid Halilhodzic stepped in. The discipline-obsessed Bosnian gave Cheyrou a trial at second-division Lille and played him in central midfield. Three years later, the tiny northern French club were in the Champions League. "After my failure at Lens," said Cheyrou, "if Lille hadn’t opened their doors, I would have ended up as a used car salesman, a long way from my dreams. It just goes to show how thin the line is between success and failure. When you get an opportunity, you have to grab it.

"When I look back now, I can only be grateful to Vahid for the years I spent at Lille - even though we often clashed. When I joined, we were being called clowns; by the end, we were in the Champions League and there were 20,000 fans for every home game."

Halilhodzic explained: "I had to shake him up a lot, which he didn’t always appreciate. He used to get pissed off when I got angry with him. I found him too nonchalant at times and I did not want to see him waste his talent. He ended up understanding what I was getting at; you need to be able to suffer a lot to be able to succeed in this career. At first he wasn’t capable of it, but he dug in and he ended up succeeding.

"He has made an enormous progression since being dumped by Lens. I’m convinced that he possesses the individual technical ability to be in the France team. He has exceptional ball control and a fantastic left-foot shot. But he still needs to work to increase his aggression and develop a nastier side to his game.

"It’s fine to be cool in life but it’s a handicap on the field. He has chosen the best possible championship to progress, as England will give him another dimension."

Cheyrou agreed that he has struggled to cope with the physical demands of the Premiership. "It’s very different to in France. Here, every ball is a combat. Whether it’s a match or in training, the English always give their all. Sometimes, it’s wild. To impose your creativity, your technique, you first have to be able to resist the physical combat and to hold your own. On the field, my principal weakness is that I am too nice. That’s something I have to correct.

"Robert Pires is a model for me. It’s the enormous work that he put in that enabled him to overcome the nice guy tag. Maybe I’m still a bit tender - even when I get stuck in and give it my all, I don’t always come out on top. I need to be even more aggressive, almost nasty even."

Cheyrou is confident that he can ‘do a Pires’ and has already learnt some lessons from the Arsenal winger after spending time at Clairefontaine during the Euro 2004 qualifying matches in October. "There’s nothing better in the world than training with Zidane, Pires, and Henry. It’s a higher level than anywhere else and playing alongside them is like learning at the speed of light."

If he needs any more motivation, he only needs to look over his shoulder at the success of Benoit. The younger Cheyrou has won international honours at Under-18 and Under-20 level and is currently captain of the Under-21s. "I would have loved to have gone through the same path as him, playing for the national team at all those levels. If he carries on the way he’s going, he might even end up taking my place."

For now, Cheyrou is focused on keeping his place in the Liverpool side and improving enough to earn another France call-up for the March qualifiers. "Six years ago, I was thrown out of the academy at Lens and I had no place in the football world," he said.

"Today I’ve got two international caps, I’m playing for one of the biggest teams in Europe and we’re ahead against French opposition for a place in the UEFA Cup quarter-finals. It’s a sweet revenge."

Even Benoit would agree with that.

Offline Fat-Sami

• Jack of all trades, master of NONE
  • Kopite
  • CCCCCCRRRRRAIG DAVIS
Re:Interesting Cheyrou piece ...
« Reply #107 on: February 23, 2003, 04:30:28 am »
There's only so much he can do, and a player like him is gonna be limited so start giving him a chance by playing him to his strengths and see how he does.

Offline Fanxxxxtastic

• Will be very sadly missed on RAWK and elsewhere.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a proud cyber terrorist!
« Reply #108 on: February 23, 2003, 01:08:47 pm »
Very interesting piece there Bob.  

Goes to show how realistic and level headed Bruno is.  He's recognised that it's not turned out as easy as he thought it would be, and that he's got aspects of his game he needs to work on.  Mind you, I didn't realise he'd had so many problems back in France.  I think given time, he will prove to be an asset to the team.
http://twitter.com/Fanxxxxtastic

"A big heart has space for everyone" - Rafa Benitez

Smash the cull!  Smash the BNP!

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #109 on: February 23, 2003, 05:00:25 pm »
Alan Green is giving him a hard time on 5live, and is misquoting some of the above, saying that Cheyrou has admitted that he is not physical enough for the Premiership. Bruno doesn't actually say that, although I don't think it is the most inspiring or committed interview I have read with one of our players.

I hope that Cheyrou does develop into a player of the stature of Zidane or Vieira, rather than another Diomede. Time and experience will tell.

Offline KFC

• Legacy Fan
  • We go again.
« Reply #110 on: February 23, 2003, 05:03:48 pm »
He has not played well 1st half -- apart from the through ball he gave to Heskey which Emile should have shot on 1st touch.  He took 1 touch too many, but good ball from Bruno.

I think Traore is a bit shaky as well.

We won it 6 times

Offline lfcdave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: February 23, 2003, 08:47:39 pm »
Where do people think his best position is?

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #112 on: February 23, 2003, 08:53:22 pm »
The dressing room according to half the  :wanker on here tonight.

Pheeny

« Reply #113 on: February 23, 2003, 09:03:14 pm »
The dressing room according to half the  :wanker on here tonight.
Yea remember a few saying the same about Baros when he first got here :wanker

Offline Chris M

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #114 on: February 23, 2003, 09:19:21 pm »
It's hard to be positive about him though isn't it?

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: February 23, 2003, 09:57:47 pm »
It's good that Bruno has overcome difficulties before in his career. I reckon he will get through this period too, as long as people have a little faith in him.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline joepunter

• 100% Behind Le Boss
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #116 on: February 23, 2003, 11:48:10 pm »
bruno cheyrou is a quality player. i can't understand the hard time he gets from so many fans. his first touch oozes quality - our best midfielder after gerrard. anyone who saw him play for lille in the champions league knows how good he can be - he was like ballack was for leverkusen, an inspirational goalscorer from midfield, a creator, a leader.

his best position would be playing in the centre alongside gerrard. he would score and create as many as murphy without giving the ball away as often as murphy does. he thinks a lot quicker than most of the other players on our team and i think that's been part of the problem.

i am amazed to see how quickly the fans have got on his back, especially when with heskey, smicer et al they have proven losers on whom to vent their spleen. i think it's a pity and maybe these fans will only realise what a good player he is when he's doing well for another club.

it also can't help for him to be punishment-substituted in every match. so much for feeling like you're part of the group.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: February 23, 2003, 11:56:41 pm »
joepunter, I reckon a big part of the problem is the ZZ tag he got early on. When he doesn't play as well as ZZ, too many people see him as a failure. He can't meet their high expectations. Compare him to Baros. Milan was hidden in the Reserves or a long time and surprised everyone in August. He came from nowhere, while Cheyrou had the ZZ ghost to compete with. I wish people had a bit more faith with Bruno.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Fat-Sami

• Jack of all trades, master of NONE
  • Kopite
  • CCCCCCRRRRRAIG DAVIS
« Reply #118 on: February 24, 2003, 12:10:19 am »
But you can understand that Baros has played a lot better than Cheyrou has.  I reckon Cheyrou is another player that could go down the drain coz we didn't play enough to his strengths, and as I said before, there is only so much he can do to make himself this hardman he aspires to be.  Use him correctly and as he gains in experience he could become a top quality player.

Offline joepunter

• 100% Behind Le Boss
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #119 on: February 24, 2003, 12:19:51 am »
i agree with both those posts. although he's not as good as zidane (though zidane wasn't as good as zidane till he was 25 or 26, if you know what i mean) cheyrou will eventually be recognised as an excellent player, either at liverpool or somewhere else.