Author Topic: Premier League Preview - Liverpool vs Manchester United, 16th December 16:00  (Read 29982 times)

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Liverpool vs Manchester United

Tuesday 16th December 2018
Kick-off: 16:00 (GMT)
Venue: Anfield, Liverpool
Referee: Martin Atkinson

Derby or no Derby?

This particular discussion on this fixture has always fascinated me. There always those who say it's not a local rivalry & hence it's not a derby. If you consider Borussia Dortmund, Schalke is their local rival. But in recent years, Der Klassiker has been given a special note of importance with a special name despite not having a historical rivalry. Multiply this 'rivalry' and extend it into decades & decades back & add historical rivalry to it with the two most prestigious and successful clubs competing & it equates to Liverpool vs Manchester United, which is one of the biggest fixtures in world football, not just in the Premier League.

So, are all Derbies local? Alternatively, there are sources which refer to this fixtures as the North West Derby. See below link for reference.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liverpool_F.C.%E2%80%93Manchester_United_F.C._rivalry

Regardless of what we think about calling this fixture (and the reverse one), this is one of the first fixtures that pundits, media & both clubs & sets of fans look up for in the Premier League fixtures list when it is announced every year.

What do we think of them?

We all know where they stand this season, the controversies, the usual 'throwing under the bus', power fights within the club, & the manager's tactical weapon, bus parking, the luck of which had worn out by the end of last season.

This game still stands alone and we have a lot of work to do to win this game. Mourinho's focus is all on who makes the least mistake, so we're likely to have most of the ball, but he will look to give his team 'moments' where they can threaten us and try to keep us at bay for as long as possible.

I'm not going to talk about Mourinho's past associations with us like I did with Ancelotti, first there's been enough said and done about him, and I don't prefer giving him any more attention, that he seeks from everywhere.

Is the APLT looking tasty?

With games coming thick and fast, and us at the Top of the League now, it's getting harder & harder to keep a steady mind, I'm feeling dizzy right now, so dizzy that I want to keep looking at our upward curve in the APLT. That's for another day though.

Oh look! Now I'm just rewriting lines from my Napoli preview. But no, that's not for another day. That's for right now. Right now. I've even removed the strike-through on the heading, see?  :D

If we need to maintain a +8 number on the APLT for as long as possible, and least, by the end of this game, we need to win it & we need to prepare for this in a different way to Napoli game. 

Another big Anfield presence?

We gave a perfect atmosphere midweek against Napoli and we needed to as well to get through that challenge. We have another challenge, a different kind of challenge on the pitch, but what is required from Anfield in terms of atmosphere is the same. We still need a big big effort and this as much an important game as midweek, if not even more, in both fixture perspective as well the significance in maintaining a lead at the top of the table, albeit in a different competition.

Klopp recognized & praised the atmosphere against Napoli & I hope we give it all to recreate it and give our team more strength and scare the Mancs on the pitch away. Let Anfield be at its best we have ever been in the Premier League and I hope Klopp is again satisfied.

What's up at Manchester?

The press conferences & news suggest placing the likes of Luke Shaw, Marcos Rojo, Chris Smalling, Diego Dalot, Matteo Darmian, Scott McTominay and Anthony Martial under the injuries/doubts list.

But I think, a few of those like Martial & Dalot etc. could be part of mind games from their camp? What do you think? There's a chance some of these may lineup on the field on Sunday.

Lineups, Formations, Tactics & my Birthday. Eh?

Matip & Gomez are out and we're wafer thin at CB & RB with Alexander-Arnold being a doubt as well. As usual, you're free to play with the tactics board, but I've to talk about my birthday last week as well :P

The last two games at Anfield against these ended with a scoreline of 0-0 with 1 shot on target in each game from them. I'm not expecting it to be a lot different, so to break them and avoid mistakes, we need full concentration and effort from the lads. I'm sure Klopp will have them prepared.

It was a great way to end my birthday with a win over Napoli & I hope we end the week with my birthday in the same manner as well. Liverpool, please put a big cheer on all our faces. There was a bit of relief felt midweek, but it's time for me to pick the next finger & continue the nail biting.

On a final note, apologies for not being able to put this up earlier. I know there a few calls on other threads for this, but coincidence did a good job in getting me two Previews in a row ;D and fate played its part by breaking my internet for two days & my day job did not fail to have knives at my throat. So, there you go.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 11:48:35 am by Tinselli Camera »

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
The Scottish Team, Sunday
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 06:56:54 pm »
Need this more than ever and we're well due a win over this shower. Our luck has to change, surely to christ. 

I definitely picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Scottish Team, Sunday
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 07:01:07 pm »
Glue sniffing was needed for the whole week but we did the first part of the job very well. Its just one more challenge.

Offline Goalposts for Jumpers

• Mon Ranager's Alter-Ego.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 07:02:15 pm »
Need this more than ever and we're well due a win over this shower. Our luck has to change, surely to christ. 

I definitely picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

Excellent OP, that's got me right up for this.

Let's twat these twats  ;D

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 07:03:18 pm »
Best op ever. Short and sweet. Just like I imagine you chops [emoji23]
bollocks

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 10:41:40 am »
Eloquently crafted OP there.  Would love us to demolish them but suspect it'll be a tight, cagey affair with very few goals, if any.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 10:47:11 am »
Best pre-match thread ever. It is going to be a great day!
Hats off to Bill on his throne,
He set the club's standards in stone.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2018, 10:47:27 am »
Eloquently crafted OP there.  Would love us to demolish them but suspect it'll be a tight, cagey affair with very few goals, if any.

One will do. Mo’s got his first goal scorer mojo back.

Really unfortunate timing to have all hear injuries at the back at once. Think we are better suited getting one of the midfielders to fill in at right back rather than a not match fit Clyne. Just have to get through the next couple of weeks as best we can there.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2018, 10:53:15 am »
The injuries put a damper on things but it looks to be that Trenr will miss out only 2 weeks. Milner,Clyne or Fabinho to step in the meantime.

The Manc mutants will park the bus play aggessive and try to nick it on the counter. We got to be patient and take our chances when presented.

Becker

Milner
Lovren
Van Dijk
Robertson

Henderson
Wijnaldum
Keita

Mane
Firmino
Salah

I hate this fixture as much as the derby. We havent beaten this lot at Anfield in the league since 2013, we are long due a win over thwm

Offline vicar

• Legacy Fan
  • Free at last!
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2018, 11:11:34 am »
Given that they will pack the defence and look for break-aways (or long balls to Lukaku or Fellaini), we need someone with guile, so I think Shaqiri will play, probably as RM?

Shame about 3 key defensive injuries at the same time, but Milner will be fine at RB, only issue might be pace if Martial is fit or he puts Rashford on him. I know Fabinho plays there for Brazil but get the impression that Klopp is looking to drill him as as midfielder only. But guess its an option.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 11:13:42 am by vicar »

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2018, 11:16:44 am »
Fab at RB to counter their only attacking threat, the flicks on they would have been relying on against Trent.

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2018, 11:18:08 am »
The injuries put a damper on things but it looks to be that Trenr will miss out only 2 weeks. Milner,Clyne or Fabinho to step in the meantime.

The Manc mutants will park the bus play aggessive and try to nick it on the counter. We got to be patient and take our chances when presented.

Becker

Milner
Lovren
Van Dijk
Robertson

Henderson
Wijnaldum
Keita

Mane
Firmino
Salah

I hate this fixture as much as the derby. We havent beaten this lot at Anfield in the league since 2013, we are long due a win over thwm

That is still an excellent team, hope it is the one who starts. Even with quite a few injuries, we should have the likes of Fabinho, Lallana (don’t know if he’s fit), Shaqiri and Sturridge on the bench. Mourinho will park the bus but play to our potential and we should beat them.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2018, 11:19:47 am »
One of the great OP's.

Fuck em and their shitehawk manager. Maureen will out Maureen himself and invite pressure which we will gladly provide. If they play to their standard this season then we will batter them. They are shite, make no bones about it. Whilst the old cliche of 'form goes out of the window' in these games is partly true, there is a calm efficiency about us that sees off the most determined of opponents. I have no doubt that we will see a motivated united (which is unusual at the moment) but are we just too good for them.

I hope TAA is fit for this one. I can see the cube starting as well.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2018, 11:20:49 am »
Allison, Milner, Robbo, VVD, Lovren, Fabinho, Henderson, Naby, Mo, Bobby, Mane.

Shaq off the bench early 2nd half if we're not breaking them down. Any doubts over tiredness up top and bring Shaq in for mane/mo or sturridge in for bobby [he's got a decent record v united].

They have 1 plan - park the absolute fuck out of the bus, and try and expose our right hand side which is why I'd go for Milner ahead of Fabinho at RB as Fab hasn't played there for us yet and in big games Klopp likes players he can trust.

We score first and we should win this at a canter, and the earlier we score the better. We're massively overdue a league win against them and the gap between us hasn't been this wide in some time. Up the fucking reds.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2018, 11:24:57 am »
I want to see a "I had Young in my pocket" GIF on Monday.

Offline Robert_B

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2018, 11:24:59 am »

Becker

Milner
Lovren
Van Dijk
Robertson

Henderson
Wijnaldum
Keita

Mane
Firmino
Salah

I agree with that lineup.

It's been far too long since we beat them in the league; this is the perfect time to put that right.

We really can't afford any more defensive injuries or we will start to see a real drop off in quality of replacements.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2018, 11:47:12 am »
I am hesitant to be over-confident but this fixture really, really suits us for the first time since the days of Rafa. The reason why is, no matter how good we have been against them we have always been prone to conceding but now we have the best defence in Europe. I don't see anything other than a win to nil.

Offline Brain Potter

• Embarrassing. Likes to listen through the walls....Auralist Extrodinaire!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2018, 11:47:44 am »
These are genuinely shite...it’s only the name that leaves me a bit nervous. I wouldn’t put a single member of their team in ours...maybe Martial and De Gea get on the bench.
We are a better team, have a better manager, better form,better everything..We have beaten these with far inferior Liverpool teams against better United teams...I know Mourinho likes nothing better than to piss on our chips, but I just can’t see us not winning.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2018, 11:48:16 am »
Would be tempted by Fabinho at RB for his aerial ability and extra height he brings to team.

It's time we beat this lot. Won't be easy, expecting a dog of the game, but think we'll manage 3 points.

Offline Brain Potter

• Embarrassing. Likes to listen through the walls....Auralist Extrodinaire!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2018, 11:51:34 am »
Reading Red Cafe forum they aren’t very confident at all. But I wish Liverpool fans would fuck off from posting on there....there are some who post non stop..it’s like Stockholm Syndrome...I once registered and got banned after one post for calling Gary Neville an inbred twat. I wasn’t lying.

Offline Nice one, Barney lad!

• Main Stander
  • Take me to your Klopp.
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2018, 11:56:26 am »
Reading Red Cafe forum they aren’t very confident at all. But I wish Liverpool fans would fuck off from posting on there....there are some who post non stop..it’s like Stockholm Syndrome...I once registered and got banned after one post for calling Gary Neville an inbred twat. I wasn’t lying.

Son of Neville Neville inbred!

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2018, 11:56:43 am »
Would be tempted by Fabinho at RB for his aerial ability and extra height he brings to team.

It's time we beat this lot. Won't be easy, expecting a dog of the game, but think we'll manage 3 points.

if we score in the first half I'd be confident we'll beat them by 3 clear goals. If we don't score all that early then it could turn a bit ugly. But he'll be coming here for a point, and if we score that's that plan done. Also their morale isn't exactly high at present so if/when we nick a lead they'll shit themselves. This game rests entirely on that first goal, and in particular the time of it.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Offline The Final Third

• Brought to you from 15 minutes in the future :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2018, 11:56:45 am »
Presser..starts 10:15 in..

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/1awJ_Jblvws" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/1awJ_Jblvws</a>
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 12:48:15 pm by The Final Third »

Offline End Product

• doesn't always come out of the right end
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2018, 12:01:50 pm »
Allison

Milner
Lovren
Vvd
Robertson

Henderson
Gini

Shaq
Firmino
Mane

Salah

Bench: fabinho,  sturridge, origi, moreno, mignolet,Keita, lallana

Think we will go as if we are playing the bottom 13 at home. Back 5 picks itself. Feel we will keep fabinho on the bench as klopp likes to have height on the bench last 5-10 if there is goal in it and the keeper launching free kicks to felliani, also having a option for centre back in the unfortunate event that we lose a centre back.

Keita? Would be shocked if he starts,  his red card record and lack of experience in a game of this intensity in England means he may get lashed on if we need a goal. If he starts expect herrera to be giving needle like Piers Moron at a dinner party with some fee paying oxford cotton.

Lallana will come on of we have a lead to freshen up of for Shaq, feel we have decent options on the bench considering the injuries that have hit this week

No time for caution.

Offline Phatz

• Clean and serene... Yeah right...RAWK's Resident Pet Shop Boy?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Not being funny right, but...
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2018, 12:04:16 pm »
These are genuinely shite...it’s only the name that leaves me a bit nervous. I wouldn’t put a single member of their team in ours...maybe Martial and De Gea get on the bench.
We are a better team, have a better manager, better form,better everything..We have beaten these with far inferior Liverpool teams against better United teams...I know Mourinho likes nothing better than to piss on our chips, but I just can’t see us not winning.

That's the fucking spirit. Good lad  ;D
'Nuff said...

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2018, 12:14:54 pm »
Glue sniffing was needed for the whole week but we did the first part of the job very well. Its just one more challenge.
The really encouraging thing so far this season is that (almost) every single challenge we've face this season, we've risen to.
Sometimes we've smashed it.
Sometimes we've passed with flying colours.
Sometimes we've got through it.
(and it feels like)
quite often we've somehow found a way to do what's needed.

I've actually been most impressed by the latter, and it's something that the Scottish Team were experts at under He Who Shall Not Be Named. Origi's Everton winner was so amazingly out of their playbook - sixth minute of injury time, unheralded sub, they all count for the same 3 points but some winners give a boost to the whole team and a cutting blow to all your rivals.

I won't get stressed even if, god forbid, we lose - we're in a great position regardless - but as the OP said (thank you) we're due a win, and we've really got the right stuff about us to do so this year, beit by hook or by crook.

Though, of course, I'm hoping (as we all are) to inflict the kind of defeat that could lead to Mourinho being sacked by text during his post-match interview.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2018, 12:18:40 pm »
Incidentally, if I were putting money on this I'd bet on a very low scoring game, for sure. But it's also the kind of game where, if we could get a couple of earlyish goals, they could crumble completely. None of them are playing for each other and nearly the whole squad seems to hate their manager almost as much as he despises them. It being us will give them plenty of motivation and fighting spirit - but a very fragile kind that will melt away to be replaced by craven despair if we can kill that initial sense of 'fuck you Liverpool'. And Mourinho sure as hell isn't going to have any tactical tricks up his sleeve beyond double parking the bus and throwing brutes up front.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2018, 12:28:18 pm »

Would it be radical to have a very attacking midfield since they will sit back

Alisson
Milner Lovren VVD Robbo
Keita Fabinho
Shaqiri
Front 3

Offline Working Class Hen-Pecked Hero

• Is something to be...Lives at 999 Letsby Avenue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2018, 12:33:02 pm »
They're not coming to play are they. If they play Mata that is the only time I'm arsed, he's a fucking anomaly against us
I'm telling you, Bowie died and it's all gone to fuck.

Offline Smellytrabs

• Sme-llytrabs....what are they feeding you? It's not your fault! Has an anus that looks like a *
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2018, 12:34:31 pm »
I'm anticipating a tetchy, tense, low impact boring game and 1 - 0 win to us. Which I will be more than happy with.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2018, 12:42:46 pm »
Just as long as the ref doesn't let Young headlock Salah with impunity all game long, I think we'll be in business.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2018, 12:49:35 pm »
Come on Redmen!!
Klopp confirmed Clyne fit but stopped short of saying he will play. Suspect he will be on the bench. Hope Shaquiri starts in front of Fabinho and Gini with Milner right back again.
Not too bad a ref on Sunday, won’t be surprised if Fellaini or Young get sent off and make it easier for us to beat them.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2018, 12:54:42 pm »
So who will be playing....Allison, Alison or Alisson?

I'm going to hand out 100 lines to the next person who cannot spell Alisson.
#JFT97

Online proudred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2018, 12:56:01 pm »
Come on Redmen!!
Klopp confirmed Clyne fit but stopped short of saying he will play. Suspect he will be on the bench. Hope Shaquiri starts in front of Fabinho and Gini with Milner right back again.
Not too bad a ref on Sunday, won’t be surprised if Fellaini or Young get sent off and make it easier for us to beat them.
Milner against Rashford/Martial that is a worry for me.Felliani will be key those long balls & the second balls are crucial to control the midfield & the game.

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2018, 01:27:33 pm »
The presser suggests it wont be Clyne.

Given the pace threat, is there any chance of something more radical - playing both Moreno and Robbo?  We often see right footers at LB, rarely the other way around.  But both are quick.

Or should I be sectioned?

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2018, 01:31:53 pm »

Given the pace threat, is there any chance of something more radical - playing both Moreno and Robbo?  We often see right footers at LB, rarely the other way around.  But both are quick.

Sectioned

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2018, 01:33:08 pm »

If I see Moreno starting at right back ill section klopp myself.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2018, 02:23:20 pm »
            Alisson

V I R G I L  V A N  D I J K

Milner    Fabinho        Robertson

Shaqiri   Keita

Salah  Firmino  Mane

Sorted.   :scarf :scarf
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2018, 02:25:13 pm »
Just beat them.

Offline vicar

• Legacy Fan
  • Free at last!
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2018, 02:26:30 pm »
Good press conference from Klopp, very positive about them and totally focused on us. Seemed relaxed, no matter how much he was questions about them.

Compare to Mourinho who had to try and play his pathetic 'mind games' talking about being measured by trophies. He is such an insufferable twat.