Author Topic: ‘The Fanboy’ phenomenon - hating is the new loving  (Read 10679 times)

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
Re: ‘The Fanboy’ phenomenon - hating is the new loving
« Reply #80 on: December 15, 2018, 10:14:00 am »
Henderson seems to be one of those who a lot of fans of other clubs think is shit, which is fine but a lot of our own feel the same way - I know a Liverpool fan who legitimately thinks Henderson isn't good enough to be a professional footballer let alone play for us. Whether he's informed by social media or has come up with that on his own, it's difficult tell (he does tend to get his opinions from the likes of Gary Neville). There are certain players that do get that. The other things is that it seems like a some people would rather be right a player being awful than have them play well, seems like a lot of people are pretty steadfast in their opinions and it generally takes a lot to persuade them otherwise and with Henderson, maybe it's also the stigma of being bought alongside Charlie Adam and Stewart Downing as well. Who knows, it's a weird phenomenon though, one which applies to Karius too (that people seem to enjoy continuing to take pot shots at him is odd).

If my memory is still functioning weren't we after the gurner that is Phil Jones the summer we signed Henderson?

Now that would be cause for complaint.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #81 on: December 15, 2018, 10:17:07 am »
Henderson seems to be one of those who a lot of fans of other clubs think is shit, which is fine but a lot of our own feel the same way - I know a Liverpool fan who legitimately thinks Henderson isn't good enough to be a professional footballer let alone play for us. Whether he's informed by social media or has come up with that on his own, it's difficult tell (he does tend to get his opinions from the likes of Gary Neville). There are certain players that do get that. The other things is that it seems like a some people would rather be right a player being awful than have them play well, seems like a lot of people are pretty steadfast in their opinions and it generally takes a lot to persuade them otherwise and with Henderson, maybe it's also the stigma of being bought alongside Charlie Adam and Stewart Downing as well. Who knows, it's a weird phenomenon though, one which applies to Karius too (that people seem to enjoy continuing to take pot shots at him is odd).

I've genuinely sat there on countless lunchtimes with people who I'd classify have a decent knowledge of football, having debates about how Danny Drinkwater is miles better than Henderson and it was a scandal that he wasn't starting for England ahead of him.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #82 on: December 15, 2018, 03:20:54 pm »
Mods should merge this with the Corbyn thread.

Good post, Fitzy, lad

Good shout for oh so many reasons
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #83 on: December 15, 2018, 03:23:47 pm »
Didn't know about this but that's pathetic. The smugness of superfans under the pretext of just backing the players is far more annoying than even the idiots calling for players to be sold at the drop of a hat. Moreover, I think this tendency is more for them to show just how super they are as fans as opposed to everyone else, which makes it all far more pathetic.

Yeah it's definitely the people supporting the players that are the problem.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #84 on: December 15, 2018, 03:34:05 pm »
I backed Karius and questioned whether Alisson was worth it, I was wrong and think Alisson is the best goalkeeper we've had in my lifetime. Easy to admit when you were wrong. You won't get the moaners from the half time threads admitting they were wrong though.

I was the same but then i thought Karius needed to go for his sake, he would have been a total wreck this season, i did also question the cost of Alisson,  as for Alisson being the best, early days for that Ray Clemence for me still is the best i have seen in goal for us.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #85 on: December 15, 2018, 03:43:34 pm »
I was the same but then i thought Karius needed to go for his sake, he would have been a total wreck this season, i did also question the cost of Alisson,  as for Alisson being the best, early days for that Ray Clemence for me still is the best i have seen in goal for us.

I'm not that old Geoff  ;)
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #86 on: December 15, 2018, 06:21:24 pm »
I'm not that old Geoff  ;)
Neithers he.Hes much much older.

Geoffs postcode is BC

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #87 on: December 15, 2018, 07:54:04 pm »
It's among the worst elements of modern day football supporters. Lovren is still ridiculed even by many Liverpool fans, even though he's been immense for over a year now. People get entrenched in their opinions and never change them because you're not allowed to be wrong on the internet, humility is not allowed.

The wider problem is that the internet has had a negative effect on football supporters as a whole. I haven't posted in this forum since January. I switched off, stopped getting into arguments over players, reading opinions and just watched the games. Before I knew it I had fallen in love with football again. I didn't even blow a fuse over Karius, which I certainly would've done if I was posting 5 times a day on here.

It's not healthy spending that amount of time dissecting everything for hours on end. It's just football, it's not that complicated.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #88 on: December 15, 2018, 11:29:02 pm »
The wider problem is that the internet has had a negative effect on football supporters civil society as a whole.

FTFY
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: December 16, 2018, 02:02:17 am »
Yeah it's definitely the people supporting the players that are the problem.

Yes because that's what I said.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #90 on: December 16, 2018, 09:19:10 am »
It's among the worst elements of modern day football supporters. Lovren is still ridiculed even by many Liverpool fans, even though he's been immense for over a year now. People get entrenched in their opinions and never change them because you're not allowed to be wrong on the internet, humility is not allowed.

The wider problem is that the internet has had a negative effect on football supporters as a whole. I haven't posted in this forum since January. I switched off, stopped getting into arguments over players, reading opinions and just watched the games. Before I knew it I had fallen in love with football again. I didn't even blow a fuse over Karius, which I certainly would've done if I was posting 5 times a day on here.

It's not healthy spending that amount of time dissecting everything for hours on end. It's just football, it's not that complicated.

Good point.