Author Topic: Match Preview: UCL Final Real Madrid v Liverpool [26 May 2018, KO 19:45 GMT]  (Read 293634 times)

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written

Date: Saturday 26 May 2018

Kick-off: 21:45 Kiev / 19:45 Liverpool

Venue: NSC Olimpiyskiy Stadium, Kiev

Referee:  Milorad Mažić (Serbia)
Assistants: Milovan Ristić and Dalibor Đurdević (lines) Nenad Đokić and Danilo Grujić (behind goals) (all from Serbia)
4th Official: Clément Turpin (France)

The Road to Kiev

Didn't I tell you all before the Hoffenheim games I would be back here writing the preview for the final in May? Didn't I reinforce this statement in my preview for the Man City games? Ye of little faith! :D

I have successfully bribed begged Tito Camara to give me a shot at RAWK's preview for the final. What does he need a silk sombrero for? Seriously! But this will be a preview like no other because instead of having to read through my spreadsheet of an OP interspersed with gifs of Mane ending defenders careers leaving them on their arse, we figured we would open it up to all the RAWK writers to each contribute their own preview piece.

Therefore, this OP will merely act as a link page for all the previews posted in this thread. I will be contributing later in the form of a countdown of the 13 reasons we are beating Madrid which will include a statistical analysis of the starting XI of both sides including the very first attempt at our own radars, produced by the legend that is JCB and myself.

But there is a time and a place for numbers, graphics and gifs of Gini "putting a little hat" on the Roma midfield, it's not now. Instead, let's get this started with a preview from a man who needs no introduction, "Eet-Wok" to his friends, our very own Eoin!

1. E2K
2. Nessy
3. Hellrazor
4. BabuYagu Intro, 13. Klopp, 12. Travelling Kop, 11. Karius, 10. Trent, 9. Robertson, 8. Big Virg,
                  7. Dejan Lovren, 6. Gini Wijnaldum, 5. Hamez Millynar, 4. Hendo, 3. Bobby, 2. Oh Mane Mane, 1. The Egyptian King
5. Mercurial
6. Davelast
7. Hunts Cross
8. J-Mc-
9. Scouse Neapolitan

Rafa Benitez
Jürgen Klopp(LFC)
Quique Setién(Real Betis Manager)
Rory Smith(NYT)
Paul Cope(TAW)

*As always, thanks to Capon once again for his excellent work in the preview banner. Man is a genius!

« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 03:55:00 pm by BabuYagu »
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline E2K

• A seriously talented
  • Legacy Fan
I wouldn’t normally trust any part of the Sky apparatus — not its news outlet nor any of its fifty-something sports channels — or any single individual within it to strike the right note with regard to a memorable event or special occasion, but 13 years ago next Friday they somehow managed it. “Even a stopped clock…” I guess.

“That was Rome, back in 1977,” began a certain presenter, hairy of hand and now formerly of that parish, as the dust settled on the small hours of a Turkish Thursday morning in May, “when Emlyn Hughes lifted the trophy aloft. He did it again 12 months later, at Wembley. That was 2. In 1981 Phil Thompson did it in Paris, and in 1984 Graeme Souness, back in Rome”. And as he spoke, a montage of red jerseys, giant silver trophies and smiling faces flickered across the screen, before the camera returned to him for the final word. “But this has been the greatest comeback of all time in the European Cup, this without doubt has been Liverpool’s best. I hope you’ve enjoyed it, you might never see another night like it”.

This was all delivered in a low-key fashion, about as dispassionate as you would expect from an individual who likes Liverpool so much that his “early shout” last summer was Jürgen Klopp’s European Cup finalists finishing below Everton, a club which will soon have won as many Merseyside Derbies this century as Liverpool have played European finals (thanks to Phil Blundell for that mind-boggling stat, by the way). But the words nonetheless rang true and carried with them a sense both of the momentousness of what the world had just witnessed and the exquisite fortune that had been bestowed upon Liverpool supporters: not only was the manner of its attainment once-in-a-lifetime in nature, both literally incredible and absolutely unforgettable, the prize itself was intimately familiar to an extent that few clubs ever get to experience.

Then he faded out and there followed a slow, soft piano intro playing a familiar air, the soundtrack to a second montage that was odd at first, featuring as it did what appeared to be a couple of elderly Turkish gents smiling to camera and clad in Liverpool red and AC Milan white. And the Twin Peaks vibe didn’t end there — the tune was a spoken-word version of In My Life by the Beatles performed by Sean Connery which, although it was my first time hearing it, was apparently released in 1998.

Now, on paper, it’s a concept that shouldn’t work, and I dare say that many a music critic has probably argued that it doesn’t, either on paper or tape. But it did. It does. If context truly is everything, then the aftermath of the 2005 Champions League final was the perfect time to become acquainted with Connery’s version of the Beatles classic, his Scottish drawl meticulously caressing words that suddenly took on additional layer of meaning that was surely never intended. “There are places I’ll remember all my life, though some have changed. Some forever, not for better, some have gone, and some remain. All these places have their moments, with lovers and friends, I still can recall. Some are dead, and some are living. In my life, I’ve loved them all”.

And then the original “Fab Four” took it away as the highlights of the match played once more, led, of course, by John Lennon singing about memories losing their meaning when he thinks of love as something new, before giving it back to Connery, accompanied by a gorgeous string arrangement, to finish: “Though I know I’ll never lose affection for people and things that went before, I know I’ll often stop and think about them, in my life I love you more”. And then once more for emphasis as Rafa Benítez held the trophy aloft onscreen: “In my life I love you more”.

Wow. Music and football: they just go together, don’t they?

Of course, music goes well with almost any activity, but it has a special and obvious connection with football.

From the moment you first set foot inside a ground, you’re either listening to thousands of people singing or singing yourself, ideally both. Indeed, music is indivisible from the very concept of “support” itself: in football, song is elemental. And leaving aside the very public act of singing for your club, your city or your country inside the stadium or in the streets and pubs outside, there is also a very inward, personal quality to the relationship between music and football: remember the good times, or the bad, and there’s probably a soundtrack playing somewhere in the back of your mind, even if it’s only a line of a verse or a snippet of a chorus. The crucial extra dimension it adds to one of life’s great pleasures can neither be denied nor overestimated.

As the players stood in the tunnel in Rome before the 1984 European Cup final, they didn’t know what it was but they loved it. The taste of love was sweet when hearts like ours met in 2005. In 2016 it was three little birds singing sweet songs of melodies pure and true, facilitated by the arrival of a manager who had once used musical terms to explain the differences between his tactical philosophy (“heavy metal”) and that of Arséne Wenger (“an orchestra”). There was, of course, many a song sung over the years about the big, “fuckin’ ‘ard” midfield colossus from Huyton who lifted number five 13 years ago (such an impact did both player and song have that variations still ring out in stadia across England today, some 3 years after his retirement and very often not from the mouths of Liverpool supporters), and a time when we just couldn’t seem to get enough of the Uruguayan no. 7 with magic in his feet.

We’ve had La Bamba, She Loves You and the best midfield in the world, and Brian Reade even recalls being sat in front of his granny’s black and white TV in 1964 watching footage of Liverpool supporters going through customs in Brussels airport singing “HP baked beans, they’re the beans for me, HP baked beans, they’re the beans for me, what’s the treat we all love best…HP baked beans” ahead of the club’s second ever away trip in Europe. Yes: Liverpool’s legacy in this competition stretches all the way back to the days when baked beans were considered a treat.

Alongside these, of course, have stood the standards about the glory ‘round the Fields of Anfield Road, about the golden sky and sweet silver song of the lark, borrowed from Pete St. John and Rodgers and Hammerstein respectively. And it hasn’t just been one-way traffic: the legendary Pink Floyd sampled the Kop singing You’ll Never Walk Alone for their 1971 song Fearless, and a paraphrased line from it adorns the masthead of this very website: “You pick the place and I’ll choose the time, and I’ll climb the hill in my own way”.

More recently, Allez Allez Allez has become another fantastic addition to the canon, but the song that has (understandably, given how many goals he’s scored) come to dominate the 2017/18 season for Liverpool supporters goes like this: “Mo Salah, Mo Salah, Mo Salah, running down the wing, Salah –la –la –la –la –la –la the Egyptian King” to the tune of Sit Down by James. And it’s perfect, especially when that Scouse twang meets those la’s and the name of said Egyptian King suddenly slips effortlessly into the local dialect. Gloriously perfect. And, naturally perhaps, it will have prompted a few of us to go back and reconsider the tune that it’s based on.

Sit Down was originally released in the summer of 1989, a period of time that would in retrospect be recognised as the end of an era. I’m sure we’re all aware of the raw numbers by now, but here, for the sake of completeness, are a few of the choicer ones: since their return to English football’s top division ahead of the 1962/63 season, Liverpool had been crowned champions of England 12 times in the previous 27 years; the club had finished in the top-2 on 19 occasions during the same period, including for the previous 8 consecutive seasons; 4 European Cups had been claimed in 8 years from 1977 to 1984, 7 European finals reached in 12 years from 1973 to 1985, and 4 League Cups in a row won between 1981 and 1984.

The late, great Brian Moore had it right the previous year when featuring on yet another song associated with the club: Liverpool did indeed have “more silver than Buckingham Palace”. They still do, of course: trophies do not simply disappear. But as the 1989/90 season dawned, changes as imperceptible as they were tectonic were happening.

Crystal Palace were famously dispatched 9-0 at Anfield in September 1989 but by the following April had figured out a way to redress the balance, winning the FA Cup semi-final between the sides 4-3 after extra-time in a game where Liverpool twice lost the lead. Manchester United would beat them in the final after a replay, Alex Ferguson’s first trophy at the club (best wishes to him on a speedy recovery, by the way) and a victory that would prove infinitely more significant in the years to come than it perhaps seemed at the time. The seeds for manager Kenny Dalglish’s eventual exit from the club had already been sown, and captain Alan Hansen would retire at the end of the season.

Liverpool’s 18th League title triumph in May 1990 might have appeared to be business as usual, but it wasn’t. By the time James re-released a shorter version of their song to far greater acclaim in 1991, the club was in the early years of a title drought that has been ongoing for 28 years and counting.

It has now been 56 years since Bill Shankly brought Liverpool up from the old Second Division, a period that splits nicely into two halves of 28 years each. The first half (1962—1990) saw 13 League titles, 4 European Cups, 2 UEFA Cups, 4 FA Cups and 4 League Cups won; the second (1990—2018) has, to date, seen 0 League titles, 1 European Cup, 1 UEFA Cup, 3 FA Cups and 4 League Cups won. Excluding those awarded for once-off games (e.g. Charity/Community Shield, European Super Cup), that’s 27 pieces of major silverware in the first 28 years, reduced to 9 in the last 28, albeit with a chance to make it 10 next on Saturday 26th May.

Given all of this, you might be forgiven, especially the older heads whose eyes saw the glories of the 1960’s, 70’s and 80’s first-hand, if you were tempted to take another line from Sit Down, one that doesn’t feature in the version dedicated to the 2017/18 PFA and FWA Player of the Season, and relate it back to Liverpool: “Now I’ve swung back down again and it’s worse than it was before, If I hadn’t seen such riches I could live with being poor”.

You might be forgiven but, while it’s a wonderful line, on closer inspection it doesn’t really fit Liverpool, does it? Everton, maybe, or perhaps Nottingham Forest or Leeds United, clubs whose last major trophies arrived in 1995, 1990 and 1992 respectively, and the latter of whom have split the last 19 (Forest) and 14 years (Leeds) between the Championship and League One. But not Liverpool. Never Liverpool.

I believe one of the more popular jokes about the club that does the rounds amongst opposition fanbases is this idea of “next year will be our year”, the concept being that Liverpool supporters are caught in an endless annual loop of anticipating success that never arrives. A related dig is the accusation that we live in the past, which is, I suppose, understandable coming from supporters of clubs like Chelsea and Manchester City whose status as “big clubs” only really began to develop, respectively, from 1997 and 2011 onwards — a staggering 18 of Chelsea’s 22 major trophies have arrived in the most recent 21 years of their 113-year history (it could become 19 of 23 before the end of the season), while 7 of Manchester City’s 16 have been won in the last 7 years of their 124-year existence, again excluding trophies awarded for single games.

History must be a lot less palatable for them, right enough. But while all of this, I’m sure, falls under Alan Partridge’s definition of “great banter”, there is a sizeable misapprehension involved all the same. What’s missing is an understanding, or perhaps a basic acceptance, that this club has never fallen. Not truly. At its weakest over the past 28 years, and I mean on its knees or at least as close as it ever got (October 2010 the undoubted nadir, with Hodgson managing expectations on the pitch as financial doom approached off it), the club was less a giant sleeping than it was a giant stumbling. Slightly: enough to allow others move ahead, but never out of sight.

As disappointing as it felt whenever the good times turned to relative drought, it was never bad. We never had to “live with being poor”. Not even close, not on the pitch anyway. As an example, in the 56 years since Shankly led Liverpool back to the top division the club has never finished outside the top-8 of English football. Chelsea, meanwhile, were in the second tier as recently as 1989, Manchester City in the third as recently as 1999. Even Manchester United, Liverpool’s greatest rivals who have consistently set the bar for where this club should be aiming, were relegated during that period. Counting international tournaments alone, the club has won 4, finished runners-up in 3, and reached the semi-final of 3 more since its re-admittance to European football in 1991. Add in domestic trophies, and by my count the club has gone to the semi-final, or further, of 23 major competitions in the last 28 years. That’s not poverty: that’s riches.

9 major trophies in the last 28 years (throw in a pair of European Super Cups to make it 11 if you wish) only tells a fraction of the story. When I mention places like Rome, Cardiff, Dortmund, Turin, Istanbul, Monaco, Barcelona, Marseille, Milan, Madrid, London, Manchester and Porto, those are the very definition of “places I’ll remember all my life”, each one invested with glorious memories that immediately come flooding back in the same way as names like Fowler, Owen, Gerrard, Carragher, Torres, Alonso, Suárez, Sturridge, Coutinho, Reina, Hyypiä, Litmanen, Agger, Mascherano, McManaman, Garcia, Sterling, Berger, Rush, Barnes, Beardsley (I could go on), all of whom have pulled on the red shirt post-1990 and contributed to the continuous sense of joy we’ve felt following this great club. Then there’s Houllier, Benítez and Klopp, all of whom have led the club to European finals in that time. There are very few fanbases in the world who have been so blessed, and this during what has been a lean period relative to what went before.

Now other names will join that list. Kiev will, hopefully, forever hold fond memories after the 26th, but others have already secured that legacy: most notably the goal heroes against Porto, Manchester City and Roma (Mané, Salah, Firmino, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Wijnaldum), but also the captain and vice-captain who have led brilliantly (Henderson and Milner), the members of a defensive unit that has, perhaps, overcome individual shortcomings at times to collectively get the job done (led by Van Dijk and Robertson, ably assisted by Lovren, Karius and local lad Alexander-Arnold), and an assortment of supporting characters — Can (whose goal against Hoffenheim at Anfield in August had his manager excitedly shrieking “That’s football!!”), Matip, Lallana, Clyne, Gomez, Moreno, Klavan, Mignolet, Ings, Solanke.

Collectively, all of these lads have contributed to varying degrees and broken records while doing so (Salah may yet break an individual one too, of course, even if it would take something truly spectacular in the final). And as unexpected as this turn of events has been, in so far as very few of us would have tipped Liverpool to reach the Champions League final as they lined up against Hoffenheim on 15 August, it doesn’t exactly feel like a surprise either. That’s because competing for the game’s top prizes continues to be stitched into the club’s DNA, something to which this campaign has simply remained true. If, as Liverpool supporters, we typically end one season burning with frustration at whatever trophies have been left behind and immediately look ahead for the next opportunity to right that wrong, then we are merely doing the same.

Nights like the visits of Manchester City and Roma to Anfield last month, Kiev on the final Saturday in May, or indeed Istanbul in 2005 or Athens in 2007, are not a right, yet they always seem distinctly possible. The club, aside from a 6-month period under that arch-steerer of ships Roy Hodgson, has never given us a reason to see them any other way.  Liverpool have now reached 5 European finals this century — the same number as Arsenal (2), Chelsea (3), Manchester City (0) and Tottenham (0) combined. Manchester United have reached 4 in the same period. This, remember, during a relatively unsuccessful period.

There remains a straight road, patched in places but still very much intact, between the present and the past, and everything that has happened this season is part of it. So when it becomes clear that Mo Salah is chasing Ian Rush’s 47-goal haul from 1984, it doesn’t seem like distant history but instead something you can reach out and touch. Ian Rush, watching the first leg against Roma alongside Gérard Houllier and Kenny Dalglish. Ian Rush, nearly looking young enough to still do a job for some lower-division side. Graeme Souness, working on Irish TV the same night, looking fresher than Neil Lennon sat beside him. These are still relatively young men, whose greatest triumph in Liverpool red, 34 years ago next Wednesday, is inextricably and absolutely part of the same journey as this current one.

There is no “past” here, no far-off point or lost era in the club’s history before it all went wrong and the reset button was pressed. There is no “now” and “then”. There is only one straight, unbroken road upon which Jürgen Klopp and Joe Fagan, Mohammed Salah and Ian Rush, Jordan Henderson and Graeme Souness, fathers and sons, mothers and daughters who support and have supported this club, are all walking, albeit 34 years apart. And when you look at it like that, Liverpool no longer seem like quite such an underdog in this final.

Jürgen Klopp’s last five finals as a manager have all ended in defeat, so the story goes, but his team has very often been the outsider in those games, certainly in the 2013 Champions League final (lost 1-2 to Bayern in the dying minutes of normal time), the 2014 DFB-Pokal (lost 0-2, to Bayern again, aet) and the 2016 League Cup final (lost on penalties to Manchester City aet), while in the 2016 Europa League final (lost 1-3 to Sevilla) he was managing the 8th-best team in England against a side going for an unprecedented third Europa League in a row. It doesn’t reflect on his abilities as a manager so much as it reflects that he has yet to manage a truly superior squad of players in a final.

The 2018 Champions League final will be no different: Real will justifiably enter the NSC Olimpiyskiy Stadium as favourites on the 26th. I’ll leave the bulk of the tactical analysis for others infinitely more qualified to do so than me, but the obstacles that Liverpool face are significant.

For example, they will, for all intents and purposes, be choosing from only 6 players who have the requisite quality, fitness and experience to fill the 6 midfield and forward positions, that is unless Jürgen Klopp fancies throwing a player severely lacking match sharpness (Lallana) or a 19 year-old right-back with limited midfield experience at this level (Alexander-Arnold) into the fray against the likes of Kroos and Modrić, or feels that Solanke and Ings can somehow outgun Ramos and Varane (while Divock Origi has had a tough season on loan at relegation-threatened Wolfsburg, it’s a pity that he hasn’t been available these past few weeks). The only outfield position with any real depth was right-back, that is until Joe Gomez went down. What’s more, this has been the case for weeks, the physical and mental strain falling upon the same shoulders time and time again. If the game goes to extra-time, it certainly won’t favour the team in red.

This is Real’s fourth trip to the final in 5 years (only one La Liga title since 2012, mind, and two in 10 years). They ooze experience, quality in depth (e.g. two of Isco, Bale and Asensio will likely be available from the bench) and ruthless know-how. Every decision in Liverpool’s favour from the officials, contentious and otherwise, will no doubt draw their ire, while the only one of their opponents likely to do the same will be stood in the technical area, far away from the referee. As for the occasion, it’s difficult to imagine them being daunted by something that virtually all of them have experienced 3 times already. No Liverpool player has anywhere near that kind of top-level experience — each one of those games against City and Roma was arguably the biggest occasion of their careers, until the next one, and then that became the biggest. So too now, unquestionably, becomes this one.

Liverpool have a few potential advantages too, of course, including youth (their likely starting XI will comprise an average age of 25.8 vs. Real’s 29.1, with Milner the only player over 30 vs. five in Madrid’s), pace (in particular Salah and Mané, of course), and arguably the best manager and best player, on form, in the world this season, along with the most expensive defender in history who has regularly played like it since his arrival in January.

They also possess a style of play that has frequently epitomised the military maxim that no plan survives the first shot fired (or, perhaps more aptly for Klopp’s brand of football, Mike Tyson’s famous comment that “everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face”). At its best, it represents more than just an equalising force. It was once good enough to ransack a Real Madrid team that included Ramos and Varane in the heart of its defence (4-1), a result and performance that were perhaps unexpected, but when the “Gegenpress” works the outcome is very often shocking — it put Liverpool 5-0 up in a European Cup semi-final, for example. It has also typically excelled against top quality opposition (e.g. to the tune of 9 goals in 3 games against Pep Guardiola’s record-breaking Manchester City team), a category which very much includes Real Madrid. While it may not be enough on the 26th, if Liverpool do win it will almost certainly be a victory built on running that high octane engine until it’s fit to combust.

Liverpool won’t be the least bit complacent either, as could conceivably be the case with Madrid. Even if the Spaniards aren’t (they probably won’t be, in fairness), I would expect Zidane to set his team up to play their own game and not make any particularly intricate plans to blunt their opponents. And while you certainly couldn’t criticise the manager of the reigning double-European champions for setting his team of superstars up to play in their usual way, I don’t think I need to tell anyone here that the tried and trusted way to beat Klopp’s team since his arrival on Merseyside, for everyone from relegation-battlers to championship contenders, has been to sit deep and frustrate the shit out of them. The fact that Real are unlikely to do that is a positive thing in and of itself: I certainly don’t relish the prospect of Marcelo attacking the right-hand side of Liverpool’s defence, for example, but I do like the idea of him leaving Mo Salah for his centre-backs to pick up. Liverpool’s front three thrive on space: I beseech Real to give it to them.

Perhaps the most important ace in Liverpool’s deck is that unbroken road. Aside from AC Milan (with whom Liverpool have relatively recent history, of course), the only club with more European Cup pedigree is the opponent in this final. Liverpool’s players will be wearing a patch with the number 5 on their arms, theirs will be wearing 12. And yet ever since Joey went Munching Gladbach in Rome on 25th May (that date again) 1977, 41 years ago next Friday week, the clubs are virtually neck-and-neck in this competition: Liverpool won in 1977, 1978, 1981, 1984 and 2005, Real in 1998, 2000, 2002, 2014, 2016 and 2017, and should the Reds win on the 26th the tally will become 6-6 over that time period (in fact, 6-6 since 1966). They name their European Cup triumphs (la Décima, la Undécima, la Duodécima, etc.), well so do we — Istanbul was simply “number five”, a win in Kiev would be number six.

If Real Madrid — players, management and fans — feel at home being one-half of world football’s biggest club occasion, then so should we. This remains Liverpool, one of only 2 clubs (the other being Chelsea in 2012) to win a European Cup final in their opponents’ own stadium. This remains Liverpool, looking to move back into sole possession of third place on the all-time European Cup roll of honour, ahead of Barcelona and Bayern Munich. This remains Liverpool, the club that beat Real Madrid in Paris in 1981 (a season where the Reds finished off the pace domestically having drawn too many games — sound familiar?), and then humbled them 5-0 across two legs in 2009 as one of their friendly Spanish publications arrogantly wondered “Esto es Anfield…¿Y que?” on its front page. The depth and experience of their squad trumps Liverpool’s, but their pedigree in this competition most certainly does not.

In other words, historically, our players have no more reason to fear them than they do us. The weight of history should be a boon rather than a burden in that context. It’s what should serve as a sharp reminder to these players, every bit as much as the Champions League-record 46 goals scored in this year’s competition, that they belong here, in this final, on this night. It comes with the territory, you see. If they remember that, then I’m confident they’ll be able to leave the nerves at the door where they belong and play to their potential right from the start, and if they do that much…then Real will have their hands full, regardless of the result. I’m sure we’d all take that right now.

There’s a scene in the film The Shawshank Redemption, where Tim Robbins’ character commandeers a record player, places it in front of the prison intercom and locks the door so that Wiley, the Corrections Officer supervising him, can’t get in. Then he flips the switch and suddenly the corridors and cells of the bleakest place imaginable — the plate shop, the laundry line, the wood shop, the kitchen, the loading dock, the exercise yard — are filled with the exquisite sounds of Mozart’s Canzonetta Sull’aria. The movie script describes Andy Dufresne’s reaction to the music as follows: “Andy sinks into Wiley’s chair, overcome by its beauty”.

It isn’t long before the warden shows up and, through the glass of the locked door, commands his prisoner to “open the door…open it up!” Then “turn that off!” The smile on Andy’s face momentarily dims at this intrusion of grim reality. He sits up, shifts uncomfortably and fidgets with his hands, perhaps considering the consequences of not obeying. The blissful smile now replaced with a frown, he leans over and reaches towards the record player, then hesitates. “I am warning you Dufresne, turn that off!” comes the command again, and you’re sure that he’s about to meekly comply. Instead, he reaches for the volume and turns it up while looking the warden dead in his eyes, the smile now returned to his face.

Personally, I’m at the point where I’ve considered turning the music off and now I’m doubling down. It’s easy to be pessimistic. It’s easy to focus on the enormity of what’s at stake and how difficult it will be to achieve, and the sense of disappointment that will surely follow if Liverpool lose. But there are 2 key points to remember: (a) there’s nothing more exciting in football than your team being in a European Cup final, nothing; and (b) this is the only part of the experience that’s guaranteed, right here. I’ve fallen prey myself to thoughts of Real Madrid dominating the game, doing what AC Milan did so many times in 2005 and opening Liverpool up at will, but honestly, what’s the point? This is not the time for worrying, this is the time for dreaming. Otherwise, if the worst does happen, the only memories we’ll be left with, out of the whole experience of Liverpool reaching club football’s biggest occasion once again, will be defined by fear and worry followed by crushing disappointment.

“Dufresne, you're mine now” the sadistic Captain Hadley leers, tapping the glass with his baton. But what does it matter if, like Andy Dufresne, we get the equivalent of 2 weeks in the hole afterwards for daring to dream? If Andy had “Mr. Mozart to keep me company”, then we too will have some worthy companions to remember fondly, whatever comes to pass on the 26th. So enjoy these moments, be proud, defiant, and hope these lads do the same. The last time Liverpool played Real Madrid, then-manager Brendan Rodgers saw fit to rest key players, a controversial move that many took to be a tacit acceptance of defeat. Whatever else it was, it suggested fear. I expect nothing of the sort this time, the only acceptance of anything by these Redmen, hopefully, being that of a big silver trophy by Jordan Henderson.

I suppose what I’m trying to say, if I was to distil all of this down into a few lines, is that we’ve conquered all of Europe, and we’re never gonna stop. From Paris down to Turkey, we’ve won the fucking lot. I’m trying to say, bring on your Internazionale, bring on your Roma by the score. Barcelona? Real Madrid? Who the fuck you trying to kid? I’m trying to talk about the dreams and songs we still have to sing, of the continuing glory to be found ‘round the Fields of Anfield Road. Most of all, to paraphrase the song that has come to soundtrack a dream this season, I’m saying that I believe this wave will bear our weight. So let it flow.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 02:23:25 pm by E2K »
Twitter: @e2klassic
Blog: theredstar.home.blog

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night

So here it is folks. May 26th 2018 and we are in our 8th Champions league final having won 5 of the previous 7 including one against our opponents.

It’s hard not to get excited. So much so I start writing this the morning after the Roma match!

Real Madrid
Path to the final:
GROUP STAGE:

Apoel 3-0 (h) Ronaldo (2), Ramos
Dortmund 3-1 (a) Ronaldo (2), Bale
Spurs 1-1 (h) Ronaldo
Spurs 1-3 (a) Ronaldo
Apoel 6-0 (a) Modric, Benzema (2), Nacho, Ronaldo (2)
Dortmund 3-2 (h) Mayoral, Ronaldo, Vazquez

A fairly handy journey through, 13 points from 6 games and they finish 2nd but an absolute mile clear of Dortmund and Apoel.

LAST 16:
PSG 3-1 (h) Ronaldo (2), Marcelo
PSG 2-1 (a) Ronaldo, Casemiro

QUARTER FINALS:
Juventus 3-0 (a) Ronaldo (2), Marcelo
Juventus 1-3 (h) Ronaldo

SEMI FINALS:
Bayern Munich 2-1 (a) Marcelo, Asensio
Bayern Munich 2-2 (h) Benzema (2)

TOP SCORERS:
Ronaldo 15, Benzema 4, Marcelo 3

Everything ok until a quarter final against Juventus they did their best to fuck up, and they just barely got over the line vs Munich.

Liverpool

Path to the final

QUALIFYING
Hoffenheim 2-1 (a) Alexander-Arnold, Nordveit OG
Hoffenheim 4-2 (h) Can 2, Salah, Firmino

GROUP STAGE:
Sevilla 2-2 (h) Firmino, Salah
Spartak Moscow 1-1 (a) Coutinho
Maribor 7-0 (a) Firmino 2, Coutinho, Salah 2, Alexander-Arnold, Oxlade Chamberlain
Maribor 3-0 (h) Salah, Can, Sturridge
Sevilla 3-3 (a) Firmino 2, Mane
Spartak Moscow 7-0 (h) Coutinho 3, Firmino, Mane 2, Salah

Although hard work is made of some games, Liverpool are pretty impressive with two 7-0 wins.

LAST 16:
Porto 5-0 (a) Mane 3, Salah, Firmino
Porto 0-0 (h)

QUARTER FINAL
Man City 3-0 (h) Salah, Oxlade Chamberlain, Mane
Man City 2-1 (a) Salah, Firmino

SEMI FINAL
Roma 5-2 (h) Salah 2, Mane, Firmino 2
Roma 2-4 (a) Mane, Wijnaldum

A goal flurry, sometimes at both ends, a relatively straight forward run to the Quarters, things then got tough but in truth by the end of both the Man City and Roma ties Liverpool had built up considerable advantages, the 7-6 aggregate win over Roma not telling the story as to how much Liverpool had actually dominated the tie, one goal made it look closer than it was and should have been.

TOP SCORERS: (incl qualifiers)
Salah 11, Firmino and Mane 9, Coutinho 5

Opponent watch:

Real have dominated this competition in recent years, 3 wins from the last 4, they will end up a mile behind Barcelona this season in La Liga but the priority lays here, our record of 5 champions leagues/European cups is impressive, theirs even more so with 12, ok they won the first 5 handy enough with nothing put in front of them but 3 between 1998 and 2002 and 3 between 2014 and now is pretty damn good. Their last 6 finals have all been wins, the last team to stop them was Liverpool in 1981.

Their big danger is to no surprise Cristiano Ronaldo, a player we once could have had only Houllier baulked at the idea of paying nothing down and nothing for a very long time to allow Man United to steal in, as well as Ronaldo’s demands of covering his Tresemme bill for the week. Ah fuck it Houllier probably would have played him right back anyway, anyway not just now but this guy is one of the best players ever ever ever, there I said it, please no comparisons with Messi, that is just tiresome at this stage.

What we will have to stop too is the set piece strength not just of Ronaldo, but also Sergio Ramos, a player who has scored in 2 Champions league finals, the guy is just as liable to score a header as he is to chop someone’s head off and get sent off, hopefully Firmino and Mane just wreck his head.

Marcelo is another who is pretty handy at coming forward, he has some engine on him, whoever starts right back for us will need to be at the top of their game to stop his rampaging runs. Though he may have to do some defensive work with that Egyptian lad who plays for us.

The centre of midfield is also a concern, Toni Kroos bossed us a few years back, probably because we weren’t good enough, probably because Steven Gerrard was getting on and spent most of them game looking for a wifi signal to WhatsApp big Toni going “please sign for us”.

Luka Modric is one of those players who doesn’t get plaudits, he doesn’t score many, he doesn’t assist many, but the lad can play and is the type that keeps it flowing and retains possession and just pings the ball here, there and everywhere.

Weaknesses for me are defensively, is the team up to much there? This team can be got at, if our defence is criticized then what about this lot? Their did their absolute best to get knocked out against Juventus, the first leg they cruised it, the second leg they probably thought it was job done, but some awful defending and goalkeeping suddenly wiped out their advantage and they needed a very very late penalty from Ronaldo to advance.

Their home game with Bayern was again another game they did their best to fuck up, Sergio Ramos is good but the guy is a fucking headbanger let’s face it, Raphael Varane is quick, but is he convincing?, Keylor Navas in goal was absolutely dreadful against Juventus but if it weren’t for him in the semis I would be writing this about Bayern Munich. A big problem is the right back area, Dani Carvajal has been injured, Nacho is more of a centre half and Achraf Hakimi is just not very good.

A 4-3-3 formation is their usual set up.

Likely to be

NAVAS
                               CARVAJAL   VARANE    RAMOS    MARCELO
                                       CASEMIRO      MODRIC   KROOS
                                             RONALDO BENZEMA ASENSIO

Isco or Gareth Bale are other possibilities to play where Asensio is, Mateo Kovacic could also go where Casemiro is.

The Liverpool team will pick itself due to the injuries and form. Our weakness tends to be at the back, which Dejan Lovren will show up? The one that played like Sami Hyypia at Man City or the one that tends to have a meltdown.

Right back is another area of concern, Joe Gomez is injured, is Nathaniel Clyne ready to start or is Trent Alexander Arnold gonna tear shit up or shit his pants, see Lovren, which version is going to show up?

Danger wise even I am scared what Mo Salah, Bobby Firmino and Sadio Mane might do, Ronaldo might be the top scorer in the competition but these boys are second, third and fourth.                           

The midfield trio Henderson, Milner and Wijnaldum are in for the game of their lives, can they stop Real’s midfield getting on the ball? Wijnaldum keeping possession is going to be huge, and Milner and Henderson can always be relied to work hard, but let’s hope it’s not because they are chasing shadows.

Again Liverpool’s defence is going to have work overtime and cut out silly errors, but going forward is where Liverpool are possibly the most dangerous side in Europe, the Reds ability to attack with pace and numbers and find gaps is simply terrifying. Marcelo’s commitment going forward is likely to leave gaps; one defence is as unconvincing as the other.

A similar formation to Real is likely as is the following

KARIUS
    ALEXANDER-ARNOLD, LOVREN, VAN DIJK, ROBERTSTON   
                               HENDERSON, WIJNALDUM, MILNER
                                  SALAH            MANE
                                               FIRMINO       

Injury news: Liverpool fans would no doubt have nearly wet themselves when Cristiano Ronaldo went off injured against Barcelona but his injury was never thought to be serious, Dani Carvajal is the big doubt for Real Madrid.

Liverpool’s own injury problems have little sign of letting up with Joe Gomez, Alex Oxlade Chamberlain and Joel Matip already long term absentees while it looks like contract rebel Emre Can won’t be fit enough and has probably played his last game for the club. There was some welcome relief when Adam Lallana came on for a few minutes against Brighton; a place on the bench is most likely for Lallana.

Omens: in years Liverpool won the European cup/champions leagues in the past, like this year there were royal weddings in 1981 and 2005, all 5 of Liverpool’s successful finals were when wearing all red and against a team wearing all white, incidentally Tiger Roll’s grand national win this year was my first grand national win since 2005, mind you it still left me about 5 grand short for the price of a flight and match ticket to go here.

Match odds:

To lift the trophy: Liverpool 5/4, Real Madrid 4/6

Match betting 90 mins: Real Madrid 11/10, Draw 13/5, Liverpool 9/5

More Match betting: Real Madrid in extra time 17/2, Liverpool 11/1, Real Madrid on penalties 10/1, Liverpool on penalties 10/1

First scorer: Ronaldo 11/4, Salah 10/3, Bale 11/2, Firmino and Benzema 13/2, Mane 15/2

2018 UEFA Champions League final refereeing team (credit to 4pool)

Referee: Milorad Mažić (SRB)
Assistants: Milovan Ristić, Dalibor Djurdjević (SRB)
Fourth official: Clement Turpin (FRA)
Additional assistant referees: Nenad Djokić, Danilo Grujić (SRB)
Reserve assistant referee: Nemanja Petrović (SRB)

Best of luck red men, if you made the trip travel safe, and bring home number 6.

:scarf :scarf :scarf :scarf :scarf :scarf

« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 03:00:28 pm by Hellrazor »
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
Champions League Final (dah-dah dah-daaahhhhh)

Real Madrid vs Liverpool FC

There are certain moments you remember with total clarity for the rest of your life. A first kiss. Your wedding day. Getting a piece of tragic news about an elderly relative. These moments don't come along often, and sometimes they come right out of the blue, a total shock to the system. But when they happen, you know. You know that the person you were before and the person you are now will always be separated by what you saw, what you heard. What you felt. It will change you.

It is rare for a sporting event to have such life-shaking significance. For all we enjoy a late winner, or wince to recall an undeserved red card, or a goal scored off a beach ball, they don't change who we are, how we see ourselves, present ourselves. Not normally.

But winning the European Cup. That's different. That is massive.

I have met people who don't like football. They look at you like you're a child, caught up in a meaningless passtime that has no real value. I pity those people. Because whatever else happens in their lives, they will never know anything like the relief of a late won penalty, or the absolute all-encompassing joy that follows a rocket into the top corner leaves the keeper with a crick in his neck from spinning his head to follow where his hands were never getting. That instant when you jump off your seat, grab the nearest person and go into a frenzied combination of hugging and dancing and jumping up and down. That instant you let go of yourself and become a conduit of pure joy. Like your heart is having an orgasm.

And usually it passes. Too quickly.

But not in the final.

Winning the final stays with you forever. It's with you when you wake up the next day, rough and hoarse, bruised and aching. It's with you every time you see the colour red. That's us. Champions of Europe. That's us. It's with you when things are going bad. When you're tired, when you're stressed, when you're angry, when you're lonely, when you're lost, when you're confused, when you're broken-hearted, it's something to hold, something to lift you, something that connects you to so many others. Even years later, you see Robbie Fowler give the five finger salute to Manchester United fans. Nice one, Robbie. He wasn't on the pitch, but neither were you. It's ours all the same. Five times. We've won it five times.

And now we go to make it six.

And who stands in our way?

Only the biggest club in the world. Only the team who won it five times before anyone else even got a hand to it. Only the team who invented the galactico project, hoovering up the world's finest talent and stacking world players of the year in every position.

But who the fuck are Real Madrid, anyway?

For the first eighteen years of their existence, they were just Madrid Football Club, until King Alfonso XIII gave them his royal seal of approval and they became Real (royal) Madrid, an extension of the Spanish state as much as Manchester City is an extension of the UAE and Everton is an extension of the Mayor of Liverpool's office.

Gifted with a silver spoon, these toffs soon set about dominating the game in Spain although mainly, let's be plain, by cheating. Under Spain's fascist leader Franco, Real managed to sign legendary player Alfredo Di Stefano from under the noses of their great rivals Barcelona. Rumour had it Franco had significant influence in this, from suggesting overseas players signed by Barca also had to play for Real, to strong-arming Di Stefano's selling club. Whatever the truth, meddling in football was hardly Franco's greatest crime, but the perception remains that Real are a club of the establishment, the right wing, while Barcelona, with their famed support for Catalan independence, represents the left.

None of which takes away what a special player Di Stefano was. It was his Real side that won those early European Cups, back when the competition was seen by many as a sideshow, a curiosity that had little chance of lasting. Without such an impressive Real team, the Cup itself may have floundered rather than becoming the jewel in the crown of club football.

And in any case, the current Real side can't be blamed for the actions of a dictator who died over forty years ago.

The present team is managed by Zinedine Zidane.

Like most people my age, I assume that nobody interested in football needs any introduction to the magic that was Zidane, but he stopped playing in 2006, so it's likely some here know very little of what made him so special.

Zidane was the greatest player in the world. His exploits with Juventus and Real were impressive enough, but he was also the inspiration, the beating heart of the France team that won back to back World and European Championships. There are many things that can be said about the man, his famed smoking habit, his iconic bald head, that headbutt, the way he moved across the field like a half-human half-spider, a low centre of gravity allowing his legs to move something like a cross between a cossack dancer and a ballerina, elegant but baffling, always seeming to stride away from the ball, but never losing control, his legs an ever moving cage from which no football could escape until he hit it with a power not quite of this earth. To watch Zidane was to see how football might be played on another world, one where our laws of physics and anatomy no longer hold quite true.

He was on great terms with Liverpool manager Gerard Houllier, and for years some among us held out the hope that he might choose to spend the twilight of his career making those perplexing runs across the Anfield turf. But it was not to be.

But that was Zidane the player, and Zidane the coach is another matter entirely.

The galacticos we need to concern ourselves with are quite a different breed.

I remember one summer long ago, I decided to make a list of every player Liverpool were linked with over the course of the transfer window. One name caught my eye, as a paper declared that another Galactico, this time a Brazilian legend, had given a "come and get me" plea to Houllier and wanted to sign for Liverpool. Reading on, with eyebrow raised, I soon realised that it was not actually the Brazilian legend who wanted us to pick him up, but a precocious and highly rated Portuguese teenager of the same name. I wrote him on my list with (Not that one!) after his name, mostly for my own amusement.

The story goes that it was Phil Thompson who travelled to Portugal to see the young prospect. Thommo was impressed by the lad, but as the clubs agreed a fee, it was his wage demands, £1m a year, that made Liverpool pause. The feeling was that wages like that for a teenager would upset the young "gems" already at the club, and for fear of alienating Antony Le Tallec and Florent Sinama Pongolle, the reds passed on the opportunity to sign Cristiano Ronaldo. Manchester United came in with a far higher transfer offer, met his wage demands, and the rest is history.

Still, he's an irritating little prick, right? We wouldn't have wanted to see him line up with Gerrard and Owen.

I hope someone's wiped that.

Moving forward to another young prospect, this one closer to home. Rafa Benitez was always trying to get the club to sign exciting, pacy players. He wanted Simao, Queresma, David Silva. He wanted young players like Walcott and Oxlade Chamberlain. And he wanted us to sign Gareth Bale. But the club decided it was too much to spend on a kid, and he went to Spurs instead.

The press have linked us with Benzema in the past, and all, but I don't think we were ever actually interested there.

Nonetheless, we as a club have something to prove to Real Madrid. It's been a while since we were regularly competing at this level, and while we've been away they have been making hay in it. They took Alonso away from us. They took Arbeloa away from us. Arbeloa! I mean, fair enough, we foisted Michael Owen onto them, but that was only after they picked up Steve McManaman on a free.

Fuck Real Madrid, I suppose is what I'm saying here.

And, over the years, that is exactly what we've done. In 1981, in 2009.

And so to Kiev.

Jurgen Klopp's Liverpool has finally arrived. We've known for a while. We've known since before he got here. We've known since we tracked his plane to JLA and talked in excited whispers about gegenpressing and heavy metal football.

We knew at "Boom" and we know more know.

The team Klopp has assembled is chaotic and brilliant. The main feature is the front three, who arrive like a wing of fighter planes, banking and rolling, sending defenders spinning into loops.

Roberto Firmino, the human wrecking ball, who opens spaces in defences, tearing rifts between centre backs, pulling and tugging them where he wants them, not with his hands, but with his presence. Sadio Mane, who can arrive from nowhere, dance past his man and hit a shot like a rocket, and of course, the Egyptian King himself, Mo Salah.

Here's what I wrote about Mo on another site before he had played for us.

Last season, Liverpool started well with a win away at Arsenal. Right up until the Christmas period we were right up at the top of the league, and looked like we might be in the title race.

And then Coutinho got injured, Mane went to the AFCON, Henderson got injured. Matip was unavailable thanks to a row with the Cameroon FA and the whole thing kind of fell apart.

We saw that Liverpool had a first team that could beat any side in the league. We didn’t lose a single league match against the rest of the top seven.

We also saw that the squad was light, and that taking any single player out of the team seriously affected the way we could play.

We especially missed Mane. For a long time, Liverpool have lacked that sort of player. A pacy wide man, who can cause defenders problems and score goals. Mane ended the season as the top scorer at the club, despite being on another continent for a month. And while Origi, Sturridge, Firmino and Coutinho aren’t exactly slow, that sheer pace of Mane gave us a huge advantage whenever he played, and whenever he didn’t, we missed it.

I think this was one reason we went for Salah. Although he is not just a Mane clone, he does also have a lot of pace, he can run at players and he scores goals.

So, is he just a backup to Mane?

Far from it. With Salah and Mane on either side of a front three, and a false 9 in Firmino, who is a master at making space for others through the middle, defenders are going to be stretched to breaking point. Some teams try to counter players like Mane by marking him out of the game. But if you have two players to mark out of the game, you have seriously distorted your defence and runners from midfield like Coutinho and Lallana are going to play havoc with the space they’ll open up.

And it's fair to say, he has lived up to what I hope for. And then done a lot more. Broken goal scoring records. Liverpool goal scoring records, at that. Not bad for a winger.

But we're not all about the attack. Our midfield comes in for a fair amount of stick, but it's no coincidence that James Milner has more assists than anyone else in the Champions League, and it's no coincidence that Wijnaldum and Henderson keep on playing and we keep on winning games. We're all keen for Keita, yes, but let's not lose sight of what we have right now.

And then there's the defence. The terrible, creaky, unreliable defence. It would surprise many to learn that Liverpool's defence has been tighter than Real Madrid's this season. That since Van Dijk and Karius came into the side, Liverpool's back line has been tight as a drum. Real Madrid present a threat, certainly, but nothing this team can't deal with. Every preview I have seen of this game cites Liverpool's defence as a problem, but none seem to point out that Real's leaks more goals, at domestic and continental level.

Van Dijk cost a lot of money, but nobody even thinks about that any more, because he has stabilised us.
Karius has been so good that we're not even surprised any more, and nobody with half a brain is looking for an alternative.
Robertson has been the surprise package of the season. The best left back we've had since, well, anybody's guess, really.
Lovren, you is easy coz you're beautiful, and Terence Trent Alexander Armstrong is keeping the Scouse heart of the team beating.

If Real think they are going to get an easy time against that lot, they are in for a shock.

So the task before us is difficult. We stand at the gates of glory. We see before us the chance, the opportunity, to carve our names into history, to take Europe for a sixth time. And we will be glorious as we throw everything we have at them. Liverpool supporters around the world will gather, in bars and cafes, around tv screens, some staying up late, some getting up early, and wherever we watch, we will be together, we will have one foot on the pitch in Kiev. We will not pause, we will not wait for invitation. We will not fear Zidane's overpaid squad of weaklings, or Ronaldo's fading powers. We will stand tall and proud and we will shout and we will sing. We will not cover our mouths in fear if it gets edgy at the end. We will not go on and on about shitting ourselves before kick off, for fear breeds fear and there is no room for cowards here. There is nothing to fear, for WE ARE LIVERPOOL and we stand around the world as one.

And fans of other clubs will watch, and whether they wish us well or ill we will not care, coz they're not there. And years from now we'll ask them, as we'll ask Coutinho, where were you in Kiev? And they will bow their heads low, with no words to hide their shame.

This game, this mad and wonderful game, this soaring, thumping, beautiful game, is ours to take. And we will have it.

Come in number six, your time is now.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
A game so big we needed four writers to handle it :wave

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I demand the topic is left open during the game, like the good old days...

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=68112.0

;)

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Bravo Chaps!
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Excellent posts! I can't wait for this, even if we don't end up winning this is proof that we are returning back to where we belong!

I demand the topic is left open during the game, like the good old days...

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=68112.0

;)

*looks at the half-time section*

The more things change, the more they stay the same eh? ;D

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
I had a dream that it was 0-0 and then Mane gave away a penalty in injury time and got sent off, and then he started absolutely bawling his eyes out and then I woke up. Don't know if they scored it....
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
What to say where to start, fantastic OP by everyone involved.

Not bricking it yet, probably will once the weekend is over as the time gets closer to the 26th. This final reminds me a lot of 2005, where Milan had a tremendous side who had won the European Cup practically with the same side two years prior to facing us, and their line up that day, well I am sure everyone remembers.

Real are even the bigger favorites than Milan were back then, they've won 2 in a row, 3 in 4 years, this is their 4th final in 5 years, something that hasn't been done since Bayern and us in the 70's and 80's. They have done something that Barca despite their dominance, have not done in Europe as impressively in terms of doing it so many times.

They have numerous match winners within their side, I am not even going to bother to name them, they're all obvious, they have so much experience and they know how to win and get through the match regardless of how they are playing. They are the favorites they should be and they'll feel like it going into the match and in the game itself.

However, we have the ability to hurt them,we have the work-rate, the hunger, the desire and the attitude to perhaps put them into more pressure than they have faced in their last 3 finals. We can at least go toe to toe in terms of the final third, I don't expect for a second that we will be hesitant to put our foot down their neck when given the opportunity.

I imagine the midfield will be the main area of battle, as they have top quality midfielders and we don't however we know how to move and do what we need to do as a unit, as we shown against City who had a better midfield on paper than us then as well. We know that workrate will not be an issue and that effort will be put in, whether or not it's enough on the night, remains to be seen.

I expect we will have chances to score, I hope we take them. I expect they will cause us problems, and hopefully we hold on as best as we can. I expect that they will dive and moan and pressure the ref. I expect us to ride through it as best as possible.

I hope that the occasion doesn't overwhelm some of the lads in our side as we have quite a young team, but we've been in big games this season and we've played in a European final two years ago. This side,this club, this team and our manager have not had the best of luck in cup finals since the carling cup final 2012.

A potential triumph here would propel us into a new stratosphere as a team as a club, and we would be in a much better position than we were in 2005 when we beat Milan, financially, player wise, I think it would push us in the best possible way. It would be beyond belief, it would be as impressive as beating that Milan side, if not more considering their recent success.

If we dont, I still remain confident in our ability to keep going forward, but let's win the 6th and talk about the options later, eh?

COME ON YOU MIGHTY REDS!!!! WHAT WE DO NOW ECHOES IN ETERNITY!

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Strike first.
Strike hard.
No mercy.

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
I had a dream that it was 0-0 and then Mane gave away a penalty in injury time and got sent off, and then he started absolutely bawling his eyes out and then I woke up. Don't know if they scored it....

They did. But then from kickoff Firmino played in Trent who was 1-on-1 with Navas. He went round the keeper to Navas' left and was about to shoot with this right while falling over and then I woke up. Don't know if he scored it...
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Lunch reading sorted here in about an hour. Cheers for the efforts of the writers!
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
With apologies to all the other writers, thank you E2K, I feel grateful to have read your piece.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Strike first.
Strike hard.
No mercy.

Can you imagine how hard this team will strike with 2 weeks' worth of rest? I'm getting giddy already.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
 :wellin :thumbup

Lets get after Fake Madrid...  Come Together!!!!  Hello, goodbye.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 04:52:41 pm by Trendisnotdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
Great start , going to be classic thread and final ;)

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
A game so big we needed four writers to handle it :wave
  8)
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
 :thumbup

Absolutely outstanding OP's there fellas.

E2K - that is a truly wonderful piece of writing and should be compulsory reading for all Liverpool fans.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
Great read(s).  Well done all.  Onwards to number 6.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Online ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
Come on you reds, play fast from the start we can win this!

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Aye, you could raise an army from a graveyard if you sent E2K to rouse them.

Offline scouseman

• Legacy Fan
  • aspiring mod of RAWK
Make us dream mighty reds. Thank you to everyone involved in making this thread, This will be epic. No time for negative thoughts just positive with hope in are harts bring home big ears number 6. The Istanbul song needs a new chapter. I cannot think of a more proud moment for us as fans then to see your team in the biggest game in club football. Now lets go out with there and get the job done. We got this time for Spanish domination in cup finals to end. We are European royalty and we are back where we belong. Now lets win this thing and have the biggest party the world has ever seen.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
With all those wonderful opening posts this just makes everything seem very real. How the hell am I going to wait for another eight days. Come on wonderful, mighty Reds, let's make history.  :scarf
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
Great OPPPP.

What the fuck we are in the European Cup FINAL. How the hell did that happen?

Might as well just go win it then.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline gravy red

• Kopite
Great OP.

Can’t wait for this. Me and the misses arrive next Tuesday evening and can’t believe how much I’m counting down the days, hours Minutes. Come on Red Men, be strong mentally be strong physically and attack in the way we know we can and please bring us number 6. :scarf

Offline Kennys from heaven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
Bastards.

The lot of you.

How the FUCK and I supposed to sleep between now and the 26th after reading that? If I wasn't already dizzy with excitement (moreso than I was in 2005 and 2007) you've just gone a sent that to another level.

Bastards.

Love it. Truly love it. Besides myself with anticipation. I've not felt like this since I was in my teens. Fucking great innit?!?!

:scarf :champ ;D

The most important people at Liverpool Football Club are the people who want to be here

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
Come on Redmen!!
Wow, well done writers, I am ready now! Just can’t see us losing this unless they cheat. Think our energy will be maximised due to rest. Just be clinical, up and at ‘em and solid in defence and we will have number 6 on the Coach to Olympia on 27 th.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Superb opening gents, well done!

I'm savoring every morning during the buildup. Not long after I wake I realise we're back here, where we've so many times before, then I dream again and let my imagination run wild once more. I don't mind it's dragging in. I love the anticipation and refuse to take it for granted.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Superb opening gents, well done!

I'm savoring every morning during the buildup. Not long after I wake I realise we're back here, where we've so many times before, then I dream again and let my imagination run wild once more. I don't mind it's dragging in. I love the anticipation and refuse to take it for granted.

Same here, I was more an anxious wreck leading up to City and Roma, right now I'm still in disbelief, probably the nerves will kick in next week

Online red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
OMG. thanks in advance chaps, when my sons in bed and the wifes asleep, im gunna crack a beer and indulge.

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
Too long, can't be arsed reading.

Just kidding. Absolutely belting writing from all involved. The week leading up to the game will be awesome. I'm off work for all but 3 days before the final.
Love Ren & Stimpy

• Legacy Fan
Punch them in the mouth first, we seem to do our most damage between 15-30 miinutes in the first half, make them bleed, score and keep the pressure up.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I've been mightily calm watching us all season (not like me normally) and it's been a thoroughly enjoyable experience. 

I've had a "que sera sera" feeling since the start, that something big would happen and the way we've dispatched the opposition so far in the CL games it's no surprise we find ourselves in the final.

Of course I'll be gutted if we don't win but I'm also confident we will and even if we don't it's only a matter of time before we do.

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
Never mind all that, what I want to know is whether chicken Kiev is really a dish from Kiev, or is it like English Muffin in America - something we don't have in England?
You try me once you beg for more.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Never mind all that, what I want to know is whether chicken Kiev is really a dish from Kiev, or is it like English Muffin in America - something we don't have in England?

Not had a chicken Kiev in years.

What do we make of the parade route? Seems a bit shite

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

It's from what was once the Russian Empire but not necessarily from Kyiv. It might even be French in origin.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
What a collection of OP's!!

Shameless self promotion here but I wrote an article which is in my bio all about Real Madrid a while back, what they stand for and the various myths surrounding them. Even if you don't read the article I'd really urge people to look into the subject, because there's a lot of fashionable misinformation about our opponents that are worth challenging.

I'd love it if we could look at this for what it is; two genuine footballing giants, institutions in their own right, going head to head. I'm already seeing people on Twitter talking about taking Catalan flags to Kiev with them and it just seems so unneccesary. While there are cultural differences between us and Real Madrid there are similarities too and I hope the final will display plenty of mutual respect.

Obviously hope we fucking stuff them but there ya go.

Offline bogrollsbike

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
E2k,I was worried.Now I'm not.