Author Topic: Coutinho  (Read 505249 times)

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Coutinho
« Reply #7360 on: January 9, 2018, 12:20:04 am »
I think most rational people get that he wanted to go to Barcelona, and can understand why. And most people won't think a player from Brazil has to hold some sort of special attachment to Liverpool and see it as a career long commitment.
But on the other side, they see a player who could have stayed 5 more months and still had the best years of his career ahead of him leaving, and they think him doing so puts this season in jeaopardy*, and that is what people are really angry at.  And that is why they wont look kindly on this sort of PR exercise from him.

*Not saying he has by the way, but that is a common view I've seen expressed a lot the last couple days!

I get that too but why should any professional stay with an employer if they don't want to? Obviously, things work differently in football in that they cannot just resign and then sign for another employer but in the absence of the ability to do that, which most of us in "regular jobs" have the option of doing, what do we expect apart from transfer requests and agents pushing through deals?

I think the club and Klopp's statement indicates that they've acted reasonably in respecting the individual's view. They forced him to stay for a period but given how set he was on moving, there was nothing the club could do and I've come around to thinking that it was best that we let him go regardless of how special a player he is. No hard feelings.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #7361 on: January 9, 2018, 12:23:44 am »
Thanks for your courteous and proportional response.

I admit that I didn't bother to google whether or not the phraseology was boilerplate, probably because (ironically) I'm not really that bothered. But that is now established at least.

I still don't understand what "the exceptional circumstances behind the player’s departure" are, though, because it looks just like any other transfer to me. Presumably Alf's general point is correct; ie there are no "exceptional circumstances", they've just made a calculation that in this high-profile case, the positive PR value of the offer will outweigh the negative financial effect. That then seems unfair unless they consistently apply it to any other such departures, however. Do they care? Probably not. Do I, any more? Not really.

The exceptional circumstances are that he agreed to stay after the summer window but left halfway through the season. Coutinho’s was by far the most popular shirt, especially with youngsters, so they’ve done the decent thing and agreed to offer the refund.

If you weren’t arsed why did you post? There’s enough shite doing the rounds without making an issue out of standard terms and conditions. It took maybe two, possibly three seconds to cut and paste that wording into google. Less time than it would have taken you to write your post.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #7362 on: January 9, 2018, 12:29:39 am »
He is gone lets move onto someone else.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline trimore

• Legacy Fan
  • Dastardly and Muttley with sick laughter
« Reply #7363 on: January 9, 2018, 12:31:44 am »
As for the club, they would have sold Moreno if the right price was offered. Sturridge hasn't stepped on the pitch for ages will likely be sold and IF there comes a time where we buy a better goalkeeper Mignolet is out of the side instantly and probably out of the club too. That's just the nature of the game.

Few if any ex-players speak in terms of loyalty anymore. Those days are gone as sports have become increasingly professional bringing with it increased scrutiny and competition. This is how things are now whether or not we like it.

A lot of other clubs would have dropped or sold those players years ago. We've kept them around longer than most. There is no point mentioning a high fee for Mereno, no one other than China was going to pay that for him. He is lucky we didn't flog him to West Ham for half the fee we paid after the Europa League debacle. He was that bad at times. It's all relative, we are not going to keep Sturridge here till he's 34 but we kept him here years longer than we should have gave him, chance after chance to rehab and regain his spot. Maybe Coutinho could have stayed a few months longer than he should have as well.

Loyalty is not entirely dead. Barcelona was desperate for Koke for a while there but he has committed fully to Atletico and Griezzman gave a full year to Atletico desptie not being from the Madrid region.

« Last Edit: January 9, 2018, 12:59:09 am by trimore »
Go off to sleep in the sunshine, I don't want to see the day when it's dying

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #7364 on: January 9, 2018, 12:33:56 am »
Maybe irrational, but I'm more angry about that Daily Mail article than about Coutinho going. Everything that's wrong with modern football, wrapped up in a copy and paste PR puffpiece.

Yeah I found the idea of tracking every moment of his transfer with videographer and photographer in tow to be rather distasteful
« Last Edit: January 9, 2018, 12:40:08 am by rafathegaffa83 »

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7365 on: January 9, 2018, 12:59:53 am »
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #7366 on: January 9, 2018, 01:03:27 am »
i think its legitimate to be pissed at a player who submitted a transfer request 6 months after signing a 5 year deal.

Would you prefer it if he submitted a transfer request with 1 year left on his contract?

In practice, if he's going to leave, the earlier he leaves in the deal, the more money we get.

So I'm not terribly upset about that. Far better than Owen leaving with a year left on his contract and landing us 8m + Antonio Nunez.

Offline E2K

• A seriously talented
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7367 on: January 9, 2018, 01:31:35 am »
Andrés Iniesta’s successor was always going to cost a hefty wedge. Barcelona certainly tried not to pay it — even as they were reportedly in the process of handing out close to £100m (guaranteed) to Borussia Dortmund for a mere teenager as part of August’s £135m deal for Ousmane Dembele, they were clearly putting in one hell of a shift to try and short-change Liverpool on the proposed transfer of Iniesta’s would-be replacement, Philippe Coutinho. In the intervening months, a mooted £118m deal (£82m over 4 years and £36m laughably based on Champions League and Ballon d’Or victories) has apparently become £142m (with £105m supposedly arriving upfront and the rest dependent on a more realistic set of milestones). And so they’ve finally landed their man.

It certainly wasn’t a cheap piece of business (Coutinho becomes the second-most expensive transfer of all-time), but no one can accuse Barcelona of not trying to get him for less than his worth in a market they themselves helped to inflate (he’s certainly worth more than the inexperienced Dembele, for example). Then again, replacing one of the greatest players of his generation was never likely to be easy on the Nou Camp coffers — talent like that comes at a premium unless a club can develop it in-house, and La Masia has had about as much success producing the next Iniesta as Liverpool’s Academy has had unearthing another Steven Gerrard.

This is the man whose boots Coutinho will now attempt to fill, having burned the bridge so spectacularly on his way out of Merseyside that Jürgen Klopp’s subsequent characterisation of him as “a wonderful person” must surely have been typed through the written-word equivalent of gritted teeth. In fact the Liverpool manager’s entire statement on the matter feels surreal and, so riddled is it with context and excuses for Coutinho’s behaviour over the past five months or so, the reader would be forgiven for thinking that it was drafted by the Brazilian himself. If the words are indeed Klopp’s, then their formulation must surely have involved an extraordinary level of self-control and are indicative either of a man with the patience of a saint or, perhaps more likely, one putting the club’s interests before his own.

After all, with Coutinho having so publicly acted out (like a child, some might say) to try and engineer this move in August (commencing with the toy-throwing a mere 9 days before the start of Liverpool’s season, upon Neymar’s move to PSG) and Emre Can’s imminent departure to Juventus rumoured to be at least partially over the absence of a buyout clause in any proposed new deal, there may be an element involved in the manager’s statement of trying to reassure any prospective world-class talents who may want to use the club as a stepping-stone in the future — you know, arrive at Anfield, spend 3 or 4 years improving under a world-class coach, then move on for a massive fee to Barcelona, Real Madrid or PSG. If the club gets the reputation for allowing trifling matters like a contract to get in the way of such plans, or matching brattish behaviour with a well-deserved kick up the arse on the way out, then promising players and their agents might choose a different club to be the incubator of their talent in the future. To be fair, it’s a serious consideration for the club.

In any case the Liverpool boss, whether he wrote the words himself or merely added his name to them, spectacularly misses the point in one sense when he states that “it is totally understandable that supporters will be disappointed; this is always the case when you have to say goodbye to someone special” and that “as hard as it is sometimes to accept, it is part of life and part of football — individuals have their own dreams and their own goals and objectives in life.” To be clear, the source of this particular (bitter) disappointment is absolutely not the fact that Coutinho is leaving, rather it’s about: (a) when he’s leaving, and (b) the fact that the club has allowed it to happen now, halfway through a season that still promises so much. The inference that we’re simply upset at losing one of our favourites for reasons we don’t fully understand veers dangerously towards patronising.

From the moment that infamous back “injury” struck prior to the first fixture of the season at Watford, it was clear to all but the most optimistic of us that this was going to be the Brazilian’s last season at the club. That much has long been accepted by the majority of the fanbase, I would argue. The extent to which we wanted him to stay no longer mattered quite as much once we recognised that he had very clearly made his mind up and wasn’t about to change it, any more than Luis Suárez did after securing Champions League qualification and winning the PFA Players’ Player of the Year in 2014. None of us wanted blood; all we wanted, I would suggest, was what the Uruguayan gave us on his way out — the season of his life — and had Coutinho stayed and contributed to the entirety of the club’s 2017/18 campaign then I sincerely doubt that many of us would have begrudged him his dream move in the summer.

That’s not possible now, of course. Coutinho’s contribution (when he’s played) has undoubtedly been impressive this season, and his per-minute goals/assists average is reportedly better even than Mo Salah’s (who really is having the season of his life). None of it matters now. Having started the campaign missing both legs of Liverpool’s monumentally important Champions League qualifier against Hoffenheim, as well as the club’s opening 4 League fixtures, with an injury every bit as convenient and dubious in nature as the thigh problem that “forced” him to miss nearly half of Liverpool’s congested Christmas period (that it has now apparently ruled him out for his first 3 weeks as a Barcelona player merely underlines, as I saw someone put it on Twitter today, a level of “commitment to a role Daniel Day Lewis would envy”), the Brazilian now leaves with 16 games of the Premier League season remaining (and just 8 points separating 2nd to 6th) and the club’s first Champions League knockout fixture in almost 9 years upcoming in mid-February.

If his performances between September and December made up for his behaviour in August, then he has surely now forfeited any right to be associated with anything his former club achieves over the remainder of this campaign. The fear, of course, is that his absence may take a realistic shot at, say, 2nd place in the League (thus avoiding the necessity of a Champions League qualifier in the early weeks of 2018/19), a Champions League quarter- (or even semi-) final this season and perhaps an FA Cup win, and turn it into 5th place, Europa League qualification, and limp exits to Porto and West Brom (or whoever) in the Champions League and FA Cup respectively.

So with all due respect to the manager, and taking his words at face value, I don’t think he does understand the nature of our disappointment. This notion that “there is nothing left at our disposal to change his mind” is fine in the longer term, but in the short-term it ignores the twin factors of a contract and a World Cup at the end of the season. Regardless of how well or badly Coutinho played over the next 5 months, whether it was in the first-team or the U-23’s, or if he never played at all, Barcelona would still have had to pay a premium for that level of talent next summer and, in the meantime, the prospect of playing a crucial role in Brazil’s assault on the World Cup in June would have surely once again focused his mind into contributing towards the remainder of Liverpool’s season.

I’ll leave others to debate the transfer business that Liverpool may yet conduct in January, but the club is instead now left with a very conspicuous £100m in its pocket and the choice of either leaving a creative void in the team (hands-up if you think Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain is going to fill it adequately — anyone?) or spending heavily on a replacement who, even if he knows the league (e.g. Mahrez), is unlikely to be up to speed as regards the unique demands of Klopp’s system before the end of the season, or who may be cup-tied for the remainder of the Champions League campaign (e.g. Lemar, Pulisic), and who doesn’t necessarily fit into Coutinho’s role in the team anyway (all three, arguably). So under the circumstances, it isn’t too difficult to envisage this piece of business severely hurting the club’s interests in the short-term.

That’s where the disappointment lies. As regards the “dreams” and “goals and objectives in life” that players may have, this is not our first rodeo. Kevin Keegan (Hamburg) had them, as did Graeme Souness (Sampdoria) and Ian Rush (Juventus). Steve McManaman and Michael Owen (both Real Madrid) did too. Ditto Xabi Alonso (Real again), Javier Mascherano (Barcelona), Fernando Torres (Chelsea) and Suárez (Barcelona). They all had dreams, goals and objectives in life that led them away from Anfield, never to return (with the exceptions of Rush and, regrettably as it turned out, Souness). Steven Gerrard had them too, and they almost led him to Chelsea.

Well Liverpool supporters have theirs too, and it’s those dreams, goals and objectives which should forever be foremost in the manager’s mind because they’re intrinsically linked to those of Jürgen Klopp himself, consisting as they do only of what benefits this club. Conversely, we’re not Barcelona supporters so Philippe Coutinho has one less life objective in common with us than he previously did — he still wants to win, just not for Liverpool. Whatever he wishes to achieve therefore means nothing to us. He doesn’t seem to care about our “dreams” — so why on earth should any of us care about his?

The thing is, Keegan and Souness signed off with a European Cup (in 1977 and 1984 respectively), the former confirming a 3-1 victory in Rome by blazing his way past a World Cup-winner and leaving him with little choice but to haul him down in the box, the latter bossing both the home side and their volatile support in the same venue and on the same occasion 7 years later. And Alonso and Suárez both almost delivered League titles during their final seasons (2008/09 and 2013/14 respectively) on their way to turning in what were undoubtedly their best campaigns for the club on their way to Real Madrid and Barcelona respectively.

The others listed above perhaps didn’t cover themselves in glory on the way out, to varying degrees — Torres had a nasty dig upon joining Chelsea, McManaman and Owen allowed their contracts to run down, Mascherano was rumoured to have refused to play away to Manchester City — but Coutinho becomes the first of them to leave in the middle of a season. That truly puts him in a league of his own, a place which has nothing to do with his performances in a red shirt. Had he stayed for another few months, the end of his time with Liverpool may not have proven to be a glorious Keegan-esque exit, it may not have taken place on club football’s biggest night in the NSC Olimpiyskiy Stadium in Kiev next May, but it could have conceivably concluded at Wembley in front of 90,000 with the end of a trophy drought stretching back to 2012 and the club safely ensconced in the group stages of the 2018/19 Champions League.

Instead, he has summarily turned his nose up at the prospect of achieving anything for this great club. So under the circumstances, I hope I’ll be forgiven if I don’t exactly send him my best regards, although I’ll certainly appreciate it if he has the integrity and taste not to send a goodbye letter to the supporters damning the club with faint praise, reiterating the sentiments of Klopp’s statement (as if we care) and taking the words “You’ll Never Walk Alone” in vain. We’re not stupid — we know that Barcelona is a vastly more successful club than Liverpool and that he’ll win more trophies there (hey, he’ll pick up a League winners’ medal this season just by showing his face). It’s been that way for 30 years or more, no need to patronise, we know why he’s leaving. If honesty and realism is what we’re going for, though, then leaving in January is what the Americans might call a “dick move”, and that, my friends, is as real as it gets.

However, if you’re a bit more charitable than me then please, by all means, wish the lad luck. Wish him all the luck in the world, because he’s going to need it. I mentioned earlier that he’s likely to be Andrés Iniesta’s replacement at Barcelona. Iniesta (who turns 34 in May) is an all-time great by any measure, a player who has delivered virtual perfection throughout his illustrious career, undoubtedly helped by the talent around him but whose most memorable interventions were his alone and were made when the stakes and the pressure were at their highest — the ice-cold finishes in injury-time at Stamford Bridge in 2009 and during extra-time in Johannesburg just over a year later spring readily to mind. A key part of what are widely-held to be two of the greatest football teams of all time (Barcelona 2009-2011 and Spain 2008-2012), he has never just been an individual but has actively improved the players around him and his talent has above all been consistently underlined by a metronomic level of dependability.

I’m not a subscriber to the frankly ludicrous beliefs expressed by Souness about Coutinho back in August (“Is he that good? For that sort of money you want a player that is a game-changer, the difference in big games, and I don’t see him as that...Does he turn up in the real big games?). Coutinho absolutely did “turn up” in many big games for Liverpool over the years (not the Europa League final in 2016, mind) — the winner in the crucial 3-2 League victory over Manchester City in April 2014 that could have been a title decider, the opener in the FA Cup semi-final in 2015, the equaliser in the 2016 League Cup final that sent the game to extra-time, the crucial goal at Old Trafford in the Europa League the same season, the second against Dortmund a few weeks later that lifted heads again after Reus had made it 1-3.

However, and this is not a knock on Liverpool F.C., “big games” for Barcelona are a very different beast. Whether the 3-2 against City, or a League Cup final against the same opposition, or a Europa League tie against Manchester United or Borussia Dortmund, many of these games have either been in secondary competitions (League Cup, Europa League) or were fixtures that Liverpool did not approach with the absolute certainty of winning that Barcelona regularly have, with all the pressure that comes along with it. Liverpool haven’t won a trophy since 2012, haven’t played in the knockout stages of the Champions League since 2009, haven’t won a League title since before Coutinho was born — Barcelona won the treble as recently as 2015, a domestic double as recently as 2016.

It’s hard not to admire his ambition on some level, but he’s filling massive shoes and he’ll be expected to produce results with them every single time he plays. I loved him, I thought he was brilliant, but for a large portion of his time at Anfield (and before that at Inter) he came across as a timid young man whose ability to influence games on a consistent basis only really began to flourish once Jürgen Klopp arrived and built a team around him, eventually moving him into the position he’ll ultimately be expected to fill with Barcelona. It remains to be seen whether a little over 2 years of being that kind of player has given him a sufficient grounding in how to consistently influence games and handle the immense pressure that he’ll experience at the Nou Camp, but one thing is for sure — Barcelona weren’t sniffing around the player when he was struggling to turn Liverpool’s disappointing season around under Brendan Rodgers in 2014/15.

That’s why, despite the outward magnanimity, this has to be a bitter pill for the manager to swallow. Mario Götze, another young player who benefitted from Klopp’s guidance in his early-twenties, at least stayed and helped Dortmund to a Champions League final in 2013 before departing for Bayern. Of course, Coutinho’s improvement as a player under Klopp doesn’t mean that Liverpool “own” him in perpetuity, and he could certainly make the case that he has repaid both the club and the manager with his performances. But to leave in the middle of a campaign, having already tried to do so mere days before the start of the season, represents nothing less than a slap in the face to his former boss and a middle finger to everything he’s trying to achieve here.

Coutinho leaves as a footnote in Liverpool’s history, a mere hint of what could have been. Klopp once said the following of Shinji Kagawa, another for whom the grass was greener after enjoying splendid success under the German in his early twenties, who found himself struggling at Manchester United: “My heart breaks. Really, I have tears in my eyes”. If Coutinho’s time at Barcelona turns out similar, with the player perhaps sinking without a trace like Götze did at Bayern or Kagawa did at Old Trafford (unlikely to be fair), Jürgen might well be moved to shed a tear once again. He’ll likely be the only one crying around these parts.
Twitter: @e2klassic
Blog: theredstar.home.blog

Offline Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7368 on: January 9, 2018, 02:38:02 am »
As well written as ever, but your post leaves a bad taste in my mouth for its rather unpleasant jibes at our manager.

I prefer to believe Jürgen when he says he did everything he could to keep Coutinho here. You cannot force someone to play football, contract or not.
Be humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble, for you are made of stars.

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #7369 on: January 9, 2018, 02:41:21 am »
Great article. Torres left in the middle of a season as well.
We are Liverpool!

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7370 on: January 9, 2018, 02:46:16 am »
As well written as ever, but your post leaves a bad taste in my mouth for its rather unpleasant jibes at our manager.

I prefer to believe Jürgen when he says he did everything he could to keep Coutinho here. You cannot force someone to play football, contract or not.

I agree. A bit patronizing towards the manager in regards to ''not understanding our disappointment''

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #7371 on: January 9, 2018, 02:58:42 am »

indeed, very unnecessary it was too.

And maybe a bit of research about the Dortmund references, Mario Götze almost derailed their quest to get to the CL final, as the revelation of him leaving happened right before their semi final.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7372 on: January 9, 2018, 03:08:45 am »
indeed, very unnecessary it was too.

And maybe a bit of research about the Dortmund references, Mario Götze almost derailed their quest to get to the CL final, as the revelation of him leaving happened right before their semi final.

I agree, and anyone knows how losing a player can affect a side and how disappointing it is for the club and its supporters, then it's Klopp. Which is ironic as he mentions that in his post.

Offline MancEunuchian

• Manc
  • Main Stander
  • On the piss with Georgie Best
« Reply #7373 on: January 9, 2018, 04:09:29 am »
Two of the most expensive footballers of all-time, currently...

Straight outta City of God.

Offline joekim87

• Truly gone shark fishing.....
  • Kopite
« Reply #7374 on: January 9, 2018, 04:29:40 am »
I felt the very same about the article, excellent piece but I didn't enjoy the parts about Klopp... Personally I hope Coutinho does well for Barca and I'll probably watch more of their games now to see how he does. But ultimately I hope we beat them in the Champions League Final.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7375 on: January 9, 2018, 05:33:25 am »

That YNWA is an insult. He's letting us to walk alone for half season, like he couldn't wait till summer.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline CIDER_RED

• Main Stander
« Reply #7376 on: January 9, 2018, 06:49:18 am »
I would say Klopp does understand the nature of our disappointment. He had his German championship wining side striped like lead of an old church roof, which almost cost him his job and probably lead him to leave Dortmund. I expect one of the attractions of coming to Liverpool was the ability to hold on to the stars he created. 

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #7377 on: January 9, 2018, 07:08:13 am »
I would say Klopp does understand the nature of our disappointment. He had his German championship wining side striped like lead of an old church roof, which almost cost him his job and probably lead him to leave Dortmund. I expect one of the attractions of coming to Liverpool was the ability to hold on to the stars he created.

Dortmund are exactly in the same spot in the global pecking order as we are.

Infact The likes of Dahoud, Gotze and Mkhitaryan have picked them above us in recent times. They've also been way, way more successful than us in recent history.

He knew the job he was taking up. We're not an elite club in the current moment in time, the challenge is to take us back there.
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7378 on: January 9, 2018, 07:29:26 am »
He's following his dream. I actually believe him and don't think he's being the Brazilian Robbie Keane. He's got about five years left at the top. A few more if he's lucky. I don't feel the slightest bit of animosity. We got a huge fee and I actually feel we'll improve as a result in the long term because of the management team.  Good luck to him.

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7379 on: January 9, 2018, 08:37:27 am »
Dortmund are exactly in the same spot in the global pecking order as we are.

Infact The likes of Dahoud, Gotze and Mkhitaryan have picked them above us in recent times. They've also been way, way more successful than us in recent history.

He knew the job he was taking up. We're not an elite club in the current moment in time, the challenge is to take us back there.

With CL football, we are a step up from Dortmund in the global pecking order.

Regarding his statement, can't hate Coutinho. He put his own money down to move. Gave us good memories and helped us for half a season. Not his fault if we don't re-invest the money this window.
« Last Edit: January 9, 2018, 08:39:15 am by LFC when it suits »

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #7380 on: January 9, 2018, 09:01:41 am »
Superb piece E2K...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Online Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #7381 on: January 9, 2018, 09:25:03 am »
Superb piece E2K...

Is it?  Don't like the unnecessary jibes at Klopp to be honest.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #7382 on: January 9, 2018, 09:30:55 am »

Why not, what choices did Coutinho have?

Great piece E2K, very good read.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #7383 on: January 9, 2018, 09:39:42 am »
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7384 on: January 9, 2018, 09:51:13 am »

You can force someone to stay. Not forever, but certainly for a season. Coutinho isnt the first to do this and isnt the last. We have just signed two players who did just that.

They all know how to get out of Liverpool.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #7385 on: January 9, 2018, 10:03:36 am »
Fuck me, some of the comments on here you'd think he shagged your Mums!

Jesus Wept lads, haven't seen bitterness like this outside GoT in a while, move on lads, it's modern footie, stop attaching yourselves to individual players, just to burst some bubbles, Mo Salah won't finish his career here (probably) so don't form any deep feelings for him either.

Yeah Coutinho left in a shit way, but he had a dream and he did everything in his power to make it come true. Everyone in this forum probably has or has had the dream to play for Liverpool and would do similar given the chance, I know I would give a bollock to play for LFC so just let it go lads, he's gone, he played 100% when he was here (bar the back injury), that's what I care about.

Peace.

Offline Simplexity

• Do we need the xity? (apparently not)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7386 on: January 9, 2018, 10:13:38 am »
I find it very weird when players insist on these social media goodbye messages, are we supposed to believe Coutinho wrote this himself?

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #7387 on: January 9, 2018, 10:50:24 am »
Is it?  Don't like the unnecessary jibes at Klopp to be honest.
yeah im of the same view
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline lessthanmatt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7388 on: January 9, 2018, 10:53:30 am »
I find it very weird when players insist on these social media goodbye messages, are we supposed to believe Coutinho wrote this himself?

The only possibility is that he dictated to someone in Portuguese (or wrote it up in Portuguese) and they translated it for him to post. But whether he wrote it or not, it's ingenuine bollocks. Wanting to leave the day before our season starts. "Ouch my back" for our first seven matches yet miraculously recovering to play for Brazils' World Cup qualifiers. Paying £11.5m of his own money to leave the club mid-season even though he can't play for Barca in the Champions League and will have basically zero impact on the remainder of their league campaign.
"I want to get off Mr. Rodgers Wild Ride"

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #7389 on: January 9, 2018, 11:25:50 am »
Meh. The club knew of his intentions to leave since the summer (though I've been hearing the Barca rumours for about a year). They had plenty of time and warning to prepare for his departure, they could even have released him later in this window after they had brought in his replacement.

The bitterness towards Coutinho just shows how much he'll be missed. He'll be vilified whether he writes a goodbye note or not. He's 25 and like many footballers knows his window is closing and needs to win now. If we won fuck all with him it's hardly because of his lack of contribution.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #7390 on: January 9, 2018, 11:37:52 am »
He's gone. We'll reopen this when he starts playing again. Maybe.

Offline SquirrelandGman

• 24 Hour Party People Plastic Face Carnt Smile (White Out)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Shagging a sheep somewhere.
Coutinho
« Reply #7391 on: January 25, 2018, 11:34:57 pm »
Mods..you can merge this with the old thread if you want.

But made his debut today. Came in as a sub and looked very good .Took to it like duck to water. Slotted in the team perfectly which isnt a surprise really.

Dickhead.

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7392 on: January 26, 2018, 12:02:00 am »
Mods..you can merge this with the old thread if you want.

But made his debut today. Came in as a sub and looked very good .Took to it like duck to water. Slotted in the team perfectly which isnt a surprise really.

Dickhead.
Yeah but we got Lallana...

...No offense to Lallana.

He’s probably the most technically gifted player I ever saw play for us, 2001 being the year I began watching football as a kid.

Offline King Kenny 7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Philip Coutinho Correia
« Reply #7393 on: April 5, 2018, 01:47:11 am »
AKA . . . The Little Magician

Gone and left us for the Magical Spanish League . . . . but left so many happy memories.

On the day that Ray Wilkins passed away (a player that was always one of them -  but a player I grew up with and always such a nice guy) I feel sympathy for my Chelsea friends that lost one of their hero's.

Is it too soon for a Coutinho thread ? ? ?

My anger/disappointment is starting to fade . . . right up to the last six months he was one of us and he gave his all (and tonight after the 3-0 win at Anfield) I wish he was still with us moving closer to a C.L Final but wanna wish him well in Spain.

A really really special player for us and one I would have back in the future.

Offline ghost1359

• Loves his nuts, but can't swallow them without gagging
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Philip Coutinho Correia
« Reply #7394 on: April 5, 2018, 01:50:31 am »
Too soon? Forgive me but I'm struggling to understand the need for one.

Is he even getting regular game time for Barca at the moment?

More to the point, who's arsed?
"Be on the watch, the gods will offer you chances. Know them, take them" - The laughing heart, Charles Bukowski

Offline Longwood NY

• Main Stander
  • Innit
« Reply #7395 on: April 5, 2018, 03:07:02 am »
Yeah who gives a feck about him on this of all nights?

Not sure what he has to do with Wilkins either.

He played for Liverpool a few years, did well, moved on, end of.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7396 on: April 5, 2018, 05:45:25 am »
He was holding us back.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7397 on: April 5, 2018, 05:55:50 am »
I don’t see the need for this thread, strange one to make right after we win.

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #7398 on: April 5, 2018, 09:14:42 am »
Has he scored/assisted/played for barca yet? Genuine question.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7399 on: April 5, 2018, 09:31:38 am »
Has he scored/assisted/played for barca yet? Genuine question.

He's played 13 games and scored 3 goals.