Author Topic: Jonjo Shelvey  (Read 81505 times)

Offline Jehst1979

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Reds confirm Shelvey sale to Swansea City
« Reply #120 on: July 3, 2013, 05:59:37 pm »
Can't say i'm massively impressed with this window so far, the players we've brought in, huge gamble's, unproven, (Toure, surely only a squad player?) and i think we've let a decent young, hungry midfielder go, it could be made good if Suarez stays and we sign another couple of real stars, if that doesn't happen then i fear another season in the wilderness, all if's and buts and i'm not a football manager obviously but surely other people must feel slightly concerned with things so far?

Offline astowell1

• Legacy Fan
  • Klopp!
« Reply #121 on: July 3, 2013, 06:00:38 pm »
Good luck Jonjo, hope you can realise your potential now you'll get more game time.

As I said yesterday, this is a good deal for all.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: July 3, 2013, 06:00:57 pm »
Can't say i'm massively impressed with this window so far, the players we've brought in, huge gamble's, unproven, (Toure, surely only a squad player?) and i think we've let a decent young, hungry midfielder go, it could be made good if Suarez stays and we sign another couple of real stars, if that doesn't happen then i fear another season in the wilderness, all if's and buts and i'm not a football manager obviously but surely other people must feel slightly concerned with things so far?

nope.  i think most are quite happy with the way things are going so far.

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: July 3, 2013, 06:01:24 pm »
This could be seen as ruthless by the club to move on a young player who they think is not up to the standard that they think is required or it is foolish to let him go. I am going with the first one. Good luck Jonjo!
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: July 3, 2013, 06:02:26 pm »

We still have 2 months left. And even if ignoring that, we've done well so far.

Offline Jehst1979

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: July 3, 2013, 06:02:32 pm »
nope.  i think most are quite happy with the way things are going so far.

Fair enough, must just be me!

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #126 on: July 3, 2013, 06:03:31 pm »

I'm not concerned at all. Quite excited actually.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: July 3, 2013, 06:04:02 pm »
Fair enough, must just be me!

I think it is.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #128 on: July 3, 2013, 06:04:49 pm »

Nope, I'm not.  We've let a young, hungry midfielder go, we have two more in his position who I personally believe have greater quality and more potential still at the club in Coutinho and Suso.  I like Shelvey and think he has the potential to be a very good player but I think Suso has the potential to be a better player.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: July 3, 2013, 06:05:26 pm »

I'm happy with what we have got so far and if we can pull off the Micky Ryan signing that be great.

Don't know what you mean by "real stars" but we aint going out there looking for ready made superstars.  We are looking at those in the next group down.

Offline joezydudek

• Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #130 on: July 3, 2013, 06:05:38 pm »

No, I'm not concerned because I realise it's July the third!

Shelvey's the first player Rodgers has sold in three transfer windows that I think we MIGHT regret selling, but I can see why the club came to that decision as he was unlikely to be a regular any time soon. He's got potential but I don't think he'd ever have fulfilled it with us! A loan might have been nice so we could see what he's like with a run of games behind him, but we'd have got less than six million if it hadn't gone to plan and I don't think he'll play every week at Swansea either.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: July 3, 2013, 06:06:21 pm »
Good luck lad as he does have some talent and hopefully will find it & his potential at a good footballing club
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: July 3, 2013, 06:08:32 pm »
Thing is with Jonjo, we already have too many midifielders with "potential" in Allen, Henderson and Suso. We're well stocked in that department, and it's easy to see why we've offloaded him, especially if we're getting a decent sum of money for it.

Good luck to the lad and hope he fulfils his potential elsewhere.

Offline OnTheVolley

• Kemlynite
  • We get to keep it - 25/5/05
« Reply #133 on: July 3, 2013, 06:09:19 pm »
I think the price we have gotten is pretty good. with savings in wages included, we should be able to push a bit harder for our targets.

good luck to jonjo for the future. :wave

Offline Mashy-rawr!nooo

• Oordeers friiees wiith hiis whoopers!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Once upon a time.....
« Reply #134 on: July 3, 2013, 06:09:21 pm »
Honestly believed given time he'd become a confident AM bagging 10 a season for us alas we'll never know. Wish him the best, He's got the potential if used right and he tries hard.
My Grammar is shit. I no it and you no it.
They're Stoke. They throw sticks at aeroplanes there

Offline TitanTrigger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: July 3, 2013, 06:13:07 pm »
No, we should have been better judges when we brought them to the club. Let me ask you, would you have spent 26m on Allen and Borini? What would you value them at now?

Offline stonty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: July 3, 2013, 06:17:34 pm »
Good luck to the lad

Will Charlton Athletic get a cut of the fee?

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: July 3, 2013, 06:19:27 pm »
No, we should have been better judges when we brought them to the club. Let me ask you, would you have spent 26m on Allen and Borini? What would you value them at now?

It's a risk when you buy younger players but are you writing off Allen and Borini already?

Offline Senior Cutinhio

• Anny Roader
« Reply #138 on: July 3, 2013, 06:26:16 pm »
good luck to the kid ! I am sure he will make it - given the immense confidence he has despite his young age

Offline banksybanks

• Legacy Fan
  • Oranges and cigarettes
« Reply #139 on: July 3, 2013, 06:26:29 pm »
I had high hopes for him a few years ago, but he dropped off alarmingly last season. Hope a change does him good. He certainly has more talent than most of us.

Offline Senior Cutinhio

• Anny Roader
« Reply #140 on: July 3, 2013, 06:28:29 pm »
Shelvey will become a good subtop premier league player, if he develops correctly and catches the right breaks in his career, when he enters his prime age 27-28 onwards. Might even become a solid squad option for a top 5-6 team. However, he would never reach even that level by staying here IMHO. Staying here would mean his development would get derailed/destroyed. At least thats my take on things. Thats why I think the price mentioned is fair.

Anyway, good luck to the lad.

very nicely put, the more regularly he plays - better he will get and no one better to play under than Laudrup and stress free environment of Swansea ! good luck

Offline fredfrop

• 19*
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: July 3, 2013, 06:30:35 pm »
If their fans are surfing this site for info on him, I hope they're not too disheartened by PoP's searingly honest critique...

Offline psycllone

• Main Stander
  • Neo, its about time you free your mind.
« Reply #142 on: July 3, 2013, 06:31:15 pm »
We are running out of bald headed footballers. Brendan bring konchesky back !!!

But good luck jonjo, great attitude but not athletic enough to make the grade (I'm sure that's gonna be proven wrong in the years to come). Gonna miss the Voldemort jokes. YNWA. 
Your intelligence is my common sense.

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: July 3, 2013, 06:32:23 pm »
The right move for both party's but he will become some player for Swansea I'm certain of

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: July 3, 2013, 06:32:39 pm »
Excellent piece of business IMO. Will be a good PL player, but we are loaded with young players with more potential than him. I wish Shelvey all the best.

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: July 3, 2013, 06:35:59 pm »
Best of luck Jonjo, and thanks for giving old shittypants a dressing down too.

Offline Hymer Red

• With the money from the accident she bought herself a mobile home...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: July 3, 2013, 06:36:23 pm »
Good luck Jonjo, shame it didnt work out for you here
This Klopp fella, hes not bad is he?

Offline Dirk18Kuyt

• Kopite
« Reply #147 on: July 3, 2013, 06:42:41 pm »
Ridiculous deal. He's 21. You can't possibly know how good he's going to be at 21.

Let's just keep buying unproven Spaniards from the Spanish second division, most ans seem to assume they're incredible players compared to 'Overrated crap British players' yeah okay. Awful business.

Offline edge

• hill, getting off at...with a dijk still hard...
  • Legacy Fan
  • allright, then..
« Reply #148 on: July 3, 2013, 06:43:02 pm »
Good luck Jonjo. Learn all of Laudrups tricks and come back, please!

Offline Red Cez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stop Fucking Moaning!!!!
« Reply #149 on: July 3, 2013, 06:45:18 pm »
Can't say I'm not disappointed. Jonjo may not have been everyone's cup of tea but I reckon he's got a great future ahead of him. Time will tell, of course, I hope we don't end up regretting getting rid of him so early on in his career.

All the best Jonjo. YNWA.
Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.

Oscar Wilde

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: July 3, 2013, 06:45:34 pm »
Ridiculous deal. He's 21. You can't possibly know how good he's going to be at 21.

It works both ways. He's been inconsistent during his time here, and has been given plenty of opportunities in the first team. He's last in the pecking order in our midfield. So having regard for all that we've made a decision to cash in for a decent sum of money.

How can you say it's "ridiculous" and "awful" business?

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #151 on: July 3, 2013, 06:46:15 pm »
:( I had high hopes for the lad but he seemed to regress last season if anything. He has plenty of talent but is too often on the periphery of games. Still very young and could mature into an excellent player and I hope he enjoys a successful career at Swansea.
Thanks for telling the drunken tramp to fuck off Jonjo  :D

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #152 on: July 3, 2013, 06:50:12 pm »
Let's just keep buying unproven Spaniards from the Spanish second division, most ans seem to assume they're incredible players compared to 'Overrated crap British players' yeah okay. Awful business.

Bit premature to say that when the new players have barely walked through the door at Melwood.  How do you know whether or not someone like Luis Alberto is an upgrade on Shelvey? 

Offline greyfade

• "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe....."
  • Legacy Fan
  • ★★★★★
« Reply #153 on: July 3, 2013, 06:53:19 pm »
Good luck Jonjo, hope you do well there.

Offline SweetSilverSevens

• Kopite
« Reply #154 on: July 3, 2013, 06:59:56 pm »

At the end of the day, we've got many young players in our squad. It's only fair to allow the best to rise to the top.

In other words, we rate Suso higher than Shelvey, and hence decided to prioritise him over Shelvey, Yes some of the players like Alberto are unproven.... SO IS SHELVEY! Again, it's down to the fact Brendan rate Alberto higher and thinks he's got a higher ceiling.

You can't just keep every youngster "because they're young", because there's so many of them here. It's about them being good enough to remain here. I think Shelvey has far too many deficiencies to ever really make it here - poor touch, lacks composure in the final third, loses concentration during games, very slow and unathletic...... I just think there's too many things that come together, too many weaknesses that needs to be resolved at this stage of his development.... and I think it makes it really difficult for him to ever reach the highest level in football.

Offline Tomo!

• Shit post editor! Will be giving his wife one.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: July 3, 2013, 07:01:35 pm »

He's best of played as an attacking midfielder, with Coutinhio already here and Micky a possibility I can only see him stagnating on the bench here.
We could of tried him deeper but there's no way he's outing Gerrard from his role and we use our other midfielders to compensate Gerrards ageing legs by running there bollocks off which isn't one of his strong points.

Good move for both parties.
Google messi topless on holiday. Now look at david silva, villa, iniesta, xavi, they have the upper bodies of little boys.

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: July 3, 2013, 07:13:26 pm »
Tell that to the tens of fans saying he's a 'replacement', an 'upgrade' etc etc. Nobody knows yet, these lads haven't played for us.

Yet you're on here saying its a ridiculous and awful deal, when you have no idea how he will develop in the future..

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: July 3, 2013, 07:17:12 pm »
Awful business.

How do you know this?...That's right. You don't!

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: July 3, 2013, 07:21:04 pm »
I know people seem to rate him, but how far have we fallen if the likes of Shelvey leaving is almost universally mourned, when he's not exactly set the world alight in his rare actually starts for the first team?
Some of you seem to give more of a shit that he hold Fergie to fuck off, making him a 'legend'.

He'd have been more of a legend had he been brilliant when he played against Man U and scored a few past them.
 :-X

That said, best of luck to him. Decent for a team like Swansea, nowhere near good enough for us if we want to be the club we were. Just my opinion.
I'm with you entirely Paul, I guessed earlier this week it would mean a call to the Samaritans for some who had predicted he'd play in our midfield "for years to come".

Good luck to the lad, I appreciate his comments but I'm pleased with the amount we've received to be re-invested. That's a good bit of business hopefully ahead some of some impressive signings to follow.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #159 on: July 3, 2013, 07:22:00 pm »
Tell that to the tens of fans saying he's a 'replacement', an 'upgrade' etc etc. Nobody knows yet, these lads haven't played for us.

Unless you give them a chance you're not going to know one way or the other.  Alberto aside, we still have Coutinho and Suso who play in the role that Shelvey wants to play in so we still have exciting young talent coming through and developing.