Author Topic: My Favourite Player #9 - Ian Rush  (Read 16095 times)

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
My Favourite Player #9 - Ian Rush
« on: November 16, 2012, 12:10:31 pm »
Authentically signed by Ian Rush

Every visitor to my house sees 3 things in the first 5 minutes of walking through the door. The first is whomever opened the door (usually me or my wife accompanied by a loud but cute 15 month old daughter). The second is either a No 7 shirt signed by Kenny Dalglish made out to me or a large elephant, but the third, due to where it is positioned is a photograph signed by Ian Rush. Just as he drills it to give to Everton one more time in the FA cup final… the one that smashes the camera.

Read on if you want see an emotional gushing support of the greatest striker I’ve known. History lessons and stats are elsewhere as he’s got a cracking autobiography for that which he’d be happy that you would purchase (late Christmas present perhaps). Just think that you've been saved a wikipediaesque post! It won’t enrich this posting in anyway by saying how his career started and how many goals he scored etc as it’s all out there. What isn’t is what he means to me. That is for a very obvious reason… I’ve never written about it before  ;D

So Ian. Our number 9. Possibly THE number 9. He will forever be recalled when someone says Who was Liverpool's greatest striker? Who's our best ever number 9? Rush will always be an answer. I can't say that in a Smarties sort of way but more often than not he did have goalscoring answers and the record books will always show it.

I got into football and supporting Liverpool due to some extremely mad relatives around 1983/84. I was 6 years old and tortured by West Ham fans. They lived in Ilford and on a Sunday afternoon my 2 uncles said I should support West Ham. I asked, as you do at that age, who are they? Trevor Brooking, Billy Bonds, I didn’t have a clue about them. One of them I vaguely recalled being in a video game ad with Morecambe and Wise and the only Billy I knew then was a snotty kid at school.

“Geezah… who’dchyooo like den innit?”, said the first uncle
“aihhh?”, was the god’s honest reply
“is all about Wesht 'aim sunny”
“aihhh?”
“main thenu dasdah…” (I can see a lot of people on Rawk now going “aihhh?”. This translates from Punjabi to English as “I’ll tell you in an angry way!”)

Well, he did. He grabbed me by the ankles and wrists and placed me on a prickly hedge.

It hurt. It really really hurt. My mum wasn’t impressed with the actions of her brothers and let them know in no uncertain terms.

“He likes that Ian Musche”, she said. I corrected her. She corrected me.
“He gotta muscha real bad like Dharmendra!”

Who the fuck is Dharmendra? Well...that's a whole thread in itself but just think of him as the Oliver Reed of the Bollywood industry at the time!

Cultural references. So many already but oh so important. Liverpool were huge in Southall. Most people were Red as they hated Conservatives (true but not real reason). Actually the phenomenon of the team winning the most garnishing the most support will be there for time memorial. However every weekend the Big Match meant one team and one team alone. Liverpool. In a town rife with racial tensions and National Front based fighting/arguments/protests etc having something to look forward to and escape to was a big thing. Liverpool Football Club provided that. At the game today look around you. It’s no surprise to see so many Indian faces… Liverpool became part of the family. Ian Rush became everyone’s son, big brother or younger cousin.

Rush was like the archetypal poster boy for such a following. Especially kids/teenagers. You’re at school. Recess, quick match. First shouts “I’m Rush!”. No wanted to be Sammy Lee or Paul Walsh for some odd reason. We all wanted to be Ian. You can just imagine it now. Rough as school playground, bags down across two ends and a game started with your mates. No real skills or mad Benteke (please ban me mods, I am not worthy to post in this forum ) , just kids battering past someone who could tackle. A pass/break because off side is a foreign concept in the mean turfs of schools up and down the country and the spherical godsend made of plastic or leather is at your feet.

You are by no means guaranteed to score. The keeper thinks his Brucey. Sack that. I’M IAN RUSH! You don’t have the brains to think about a little jink, left side, right side, round the keeper. You’re 8-10 years old and all you know is approximately 14 other lads are looking at what you do next.

Whatchya gonna do boy? WHAT?

You hit it. You pray it’s hard. You pray to that Ian Rush god like figure. You’ve imagined your whole life taking the ball like him, turning, swivelling, shooting, heading from all over the box and hearing the crisp sound of that ball hitting the back of the net. Only its gonna sound like your foot scraping a tarmac ground and a bit of a swoosh if your lucky. Do you care? No. To you you’re Ian Rush goddamit and this ball and that goal is all that stands between ultimate glory or the depths of despair and anguish, well at least until you can repent at lunchtime. You’ve got a while to go yet before I reveal what did happen next!

Ian Rush. We all wanted to be him. We all wanted to be prolific. We all wanted to be the hero. Admittedly I was a rubbish striker as a kid. So much so that I played for the school team in goal so really it should have been Brucey as my hero. That famous line of no-one wanting to grow up to play in goal couldn’t have been more applicable. I spent days dreaming of latching on to a half chance on the edge of the 18 yard box or ghosting in behind the defence. I wanted Nike boots. I wanted to be my hero saying “Bo… he don’t know Didley” in Nike football boots tv ads. I wanted to be told that I could one day play for Acrington Stanley if I drank all my milk. World at his feet? Pfft. The Universe.

What I didn’t want him to do is sod off to Italy. Now I cannot recall any other time this has happened but when it came out that Ian Rush was being sold to Juventus there was pandemonium. Scousers outside Anfield being shown on the One O’clock news stating their undying love and not wanting him to leave. A certain number 9 some 25 years later didn’t get that kind of adulation. Probably made him sulk more. No burning shirts or raging effigies. WE WANTED HIM TO STAY. I was heartbroken. I was reaching double figures in age (not goals) and cried myself to sleep for a few days. Mother back then didn’t really have time for such nonsense. He wasn’t Dharmendra and so he wasn’t important. My Dad wasn’t really into football. It got in the way of overtime at work so I had no-one to turn to. My cousins who’d put me on this bright Red path were busy drying their own tears. We were doomed I thought. No goal scorer that I cared about or even took the time to know about would be the same. I didn’t care about what he was going to get in Italy. Maradona came to Italy (via Argentina) playing for Napoli and what good did that do? Souness went to Sampdoria and literally who the fruck were they? But Juventus… I KNEW Juventus. You cannot know Liverpool without knowing Juventus (and that god forsaken Independiente!)

When Heysel occurred I knew nothing of football fans other than those who watched The Big Match on ITV. Kids and a simple life eh? Who’d have thought… What followed robbed Europe seeing some amazing talents and Football was poorer for it. History now tells us how to view Heysel and some dimwits will tell everyone they know the root cause. I know of its effects on a young Mr Singh from Southall at the time. It meant we wouldn’t have Big Ears for a while. I didn’t think it would mean Ian Rush doing one for a bit of Pasta and life in Italy. It’s hard for any kid to come to terms with someone leaving and he was leaving my family. I didn’t understand it. It confused the hell out of me when he stayed another year at Liverpool after he was leaving! Great leaving present too… a truck load of goals and nothing in the sense of silverware.

But one day. Yes. One day. He came back. He hadn’t been gone that long and he was back. Back to be my hero and I should have been sparkling like tinsel with the fairy lights. Only it wasn’t the same. He’d moved on, I’d moved on… we’d learned to live without each other. His void had been filled somewhat by tomorrow’s advent calendar Mr John Barnes as well as a couple of others What could he possibly give me now that I was aching for?

Well he knocked on, neigh smashed, Harinder’s redemption door down in the 1989 FA Cup Final with them goals. Ohhh they were sublime. Stuart McCall can do one in my books. He remains to this day an abomination in my life simply because he made Ian work harder for my affection on that day. Who asked you to pop along and equalise therefore needing Ian to score one more than Everton can and land himself back in my good books? Twice as well! Hell hath no fury like a Harinder scorned.

So I’m in love again with my hero. He’s back. He’s just as deadly and wasn’t afraid to show it. Although personally I knew my striking days were well and truly over. I was still a schoolboys goalkeeper receiving a medal or two from a drunk Paul Merson. Season after season he produces. Consistent like the government at the time only he was source of cheer rather than consistent dismay at one tory fuckup after another.

In 1993 I left football. This was almost like being in exile from life itself but it was a needed time in my life to reboot things and return myself to who I am not who I thought I was. So fast forward to 1995 and a return to watching football. Jan 1995 in fact and 18 months out was hard to reconnect at first. I came back to a new manager in Roy Evans. A new striker called Robbie Fowler and some strange bits that I was blessed to miss such as Julian Dicks. In amongst the storm of changes inside me as well as the world we still had Ian Rush and as captain. As I let go of my demons it was such a relief that my hero was still around.

I can hear you all asking did I score? Was it a Rushy styled piece of brilliance or a moment more forgettable than walking the dog with your Fanta yo-yo’s?

There was no whoosh.

There was no scuff.

But there was a goal. The ball trickled through the keeper’s legs and I turned and did this. For that split second I was him and he was me… he just didn’t know it

« Last Edit: December 9, 2012, 12:14:37 am by Ha-run-run-reindeer »
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
Re: My Favourite Player #9 - Ian Rush
« Reply #1 on: December 9, 2012, 12:00:26 am »
On the 9th day of Christmas...a Yuletide treat for you as Harinder writes about Ian Rush. Enjoy!

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: December 9, 2012, 12:23:44 am »
That's a lovely lovely homage to a great great player, thanks mate, really good read!
Yep.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: December 9, 2012, 12:26:27 am »
Like most other players included in this series, most football fans around the country acknowledge them as being world class - which is a standard that means different things to different people. But Ian Rush was a level above any other striker not just in his day but in all time.

Robbie was probably a better finisher and Torres a better creator of his own chances but Rush was the best reader of the game as a striker that I recall. He had everything and I'm sure he invented the "bend your run" philosophy.

For a couple of years Liverpool went through a period in which we never lost when Rush scored. It was one of those special era's never to be reclaimed or repeated.

Above all, what makes Rush special is because of his double act with Kenny. You can't create, buy, coach or even wish for a duo like that. Not because football has changed- no, its simply because life-time greats are only once in a life-time.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #4 on: December 9, 2012, 12:36:51 am »
Particularly enjoyed the cultural references, nice one mate it really is excellent.
I'll buy you a pint of milk at Upton Park tomorrow ;)

Offline The 5th Benitle

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #5 on: December 9, 2012, 12:37:50 am »
And JohnC with a top input too, great shooting lads :wave

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: December 9, 2012, 12:43:46 am »
One day he'll talk to me. I'm sure of it. Blanked 3 times, stalled myself twice and once I just walked past

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Online rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #7 on: December 9, 2012, 12:55:49 am »
Awesome mate

My childhood hero. My Dad started a football team when I was 10 and I wanted to be him. The number 9 shirt was like a special thing to me

Whoevers 9 is the man. THE man

Fowler, Torres and before them Toshack Keegan Hunt. Great forwards

But theyre not Rush.

There are those on here now, unbelievably to me still (just cant get used to this ageing business) that never saw him play and cant appreciate that he was better than anything weve had as a goalscorer. Thank God the stats are there. I finally get it now when my old man used to tell me about Roger Hunt, all I was interested in was Rushy, but he, like me now was clinging to the memories and knew what I just didnt. But even he come the end admitted who the best ever was
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8 on: December 9, 2012, 01:08:39 am »
Probably the best No 9 i've seen. That's how good Rushie was.

Great team player too. These were the days when all of our lads were street smart and top pros and Rushie was just special. Even forgetting the goals, he was hard as nails, made better runs than I have ever seen since, I used to watch hos movement and be obsessed with it. He worked the back lne better than any forward ever has, he'd have a nibble when needed and his defenders always knew he was about. I watched Steve Foster, this hairy arsed centre half for Brighton go through him and try and rough him up only for Rushie to do him late and leave him limping the rest of the game.

He was lightning quick, he made near post runs and took the lot into the net when he went there, defender/keeper and ball if needed. He learnt to link it too.

What a player. If you didn't see him you missed something special.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: December 9, 2012, 01:10:13 am »
Sorry, Van Basten and Fat Ronaldo were possibly better but in this country Rush is the best I've seen, icnluding Shearer. Even FatRonaldo might not get there for longevity although Van Basten was something else.

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #10 on: December 9, 2012, 01:57:42 am »
Has there ever been a better striker to play in the British game? I've certainly not seen one.

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: December 9, 2012, 02:10:57 am »
The amazing thing about Rushy for me, was that he never looked like a natural footballer, in the way Robbie did (John C's point), rather he maximised the attributes he did have, which wasn't the spectacular stuff like dribbling or long range shots (though their were quite a few amazing ones, Aston Villa volley for example), making intelligent runs and always shooting into the corners or between the legs of the goalie. The way he managed to hit the side netting of the goals, its was unerring. Its like he had a sixth sense when on one-on-ones with goalie, knowing exactly the right time to pull the trigger, so many players with perhaps more dribbling ability get flustered and mired in indecision, whereas more times than not he always made to right call and timed his shot perfectly giving the goalie no chance.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #12 on: December 9, 2012, 02:38:30 am »
Lovely bloke. You'll have to catch him in more comfortable surroundings for him Harrinder. Amazing goalscoring record at every level (better than 1 in 3 for Wales is superb going over nearly 80 caps too). Not bad for a bluenose.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

royhendo

« Reply #13 on: December 9, 2012, 07:36:19 am »
Really enjoyed that. Again. Thanks again Harinder! :wellin

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: December 9, 2012, 08:14:53 am »
रश बॉलीवुड की फिल्म की मूंछें सितारा
Ha, NiSwan Harrinder.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline RedinExile

• credulous ingratiating simpleton
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: December 9, 2012, 08:15:25 am »
Thought of playing against him must have terrified opposition defenders. Genius, great player, just needed one sniff.
There are always more fortresses to torch.

Offline StevenLFC

• Charles Colville. Spyin Kop purveyor extraordinaire. Likes pigeons and buses.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @stehoare
    • The Bib Theorists
« Reply #16 on: December 9, 2012, 08:20:08 am »
Loving this series so far, great work pal.

Imagine what Ian Rush would be worth these days. He was a sublime finisher, but there was more to his game than that. His runs in front of defenders before bending away were magnificent, and in an era where we all seem obsessed by pressing the ball Rushie would fit in perfectly, he never gave defenders a minute's peace.

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: December 9, 2012, 09:03:40 am »
रश बॉलीवुड की फिल्म की मूंछें सितारा
Ha, NiSwan Harrinder.

Ha. Now if it was in Punjabi I'd read that no sweat  :)

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: December 9, 2012, 09:09:25 am »
Rush for me is the pinnacle of strikers. Record books aside just seeing him play you don't recall his misses or fluffs or even bad days at the office.

Playing with passion. One day it will be a historical pastime when talking about footballers. Luckily it's not today  :)

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: December 9, 2012, 09:15:59 am »
Ha. Now if it was in Punjabi I'd read that no sweat  :)
An here's me thinking I had it down pat.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: December 9, 2012, 09:17:02 am »
PS, it's supposed to say, Rushes Mussie stars in new Bollywood epic!

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: December 9, 2012, 09:18:50 am »
PS, it's supposed to say, Rushes Mussie stars in new Bollywood epic!

It actually reads close to "Rush is a mustachioed Bollywood star" ;D

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: December 9, 2012, 09:19:29 am »
Just reading the OP now, previous post was just an off the cuff write up at work. Harinder loving the Dharmendra stuff dude, I'm in stitches!
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: December 9, 2012, 09:19:36 am »
There you go, I'm practically fluent.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: December 9, 2012, 09:24:01 am »
Gerrvindh, what language is it actually in then, mate?

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: December 9, 2012, 09:25:29 am »
Gerrvindh, what language is it actually in then, mate?

Hindi. Or that's what I think it is :P

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: December 9, 2012, 09:46:52 am »
Hindi. Or that's what I think it is :P
Harrinder's been teaching me, so I just knew it wasn't Scouse :)
Oh well, back on track... Rushy was that good, he's Mussie should have starred in it's own movie.

Offline John Zac

• Anny Roader
« Reply #27 on: December 9, 2012, 10:14:54 am »
Enjoyable read.

I missed the 6th and 7th of "My Favourite Player". I am not able to find it. Could someone post the link. Thanks.

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: December 9, 2012, 10:15:58 am »
What a wonderful piece. Wonderful!

(thought of something else, but I'll keep that for meself - for now ;))

Thank you Harinder!
@Yvanicuzz

Offline TLW 84

• Kopite
« Reply #29 on: December 9, 2012, 10:51:17 am »
One of my ballsy, doesn't give a fuck aunties got him on the phone to me in some pub in the early 80s. He was with Kenny and I got both their autographs on some betting slips. Sound bloke.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #30 on: December 9, 2012, 10:57:26 am »
ticks a few boxes
From North Wales tick
Played for Chester when i lived there, tick
Great player, nice bloke,  tick

Always remember he was also our first line of defence, benefitted from having Kenny alongside but had a fantastic work rate to go with a great eye for the goal, and broke the blues hearts at Anfield South.

edit that OP is a work of art
« Last Edit: December 9, 2012, 11:02:35 am by feeling unloved now »
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline The 5th Benitle

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #31 on: December 9, 2012, 11:16:27 am »
@John Zac

Look in the Opinion sub forum for your missing treats. :wave

Offline murdell

• Main Stander
« Reply #32 on: December 9, 2012, 11:35:20 am »
Rush's two goals against Everton in the '89 cup final are my first memories of Liverpool. 'Barnes... Rush goal!'.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #33 on: December 9, 2012, 11:40:36 am »
Enjoyed the OP. I always wanted to be Dalglish myself though :)

Saw Ian a few times in town and had a few chats with him about footy. Really approachable fella. Despite his ability and his genius - a really down to earth humble man. Always has time for everyone. Certainly one of my favourite players at the club.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline keyo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: December 9, 2012, 11:54:11 am »
Loved Rushie.....could never find fault even if I looked for it (which I didn't as a young kid).....and his record in the cup and against everton added to his overall record....
Joey's ate the frogs legs, made the swiss roll, now he's munchin' gladbach!!

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #35 on: December 9, 2012, 01:38:19 pm »
Excellent write-up Harinder - and a lovely thread. Rushy is still the benchmark by which we measure all our great strikers.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: December 9, 2012, 01:55:14 pm »
A big buy from Chester as we spent a lot of cash on the young teenager. 300k ...they were the days when the best club in Europe were bringing in the next generation from Chester :) he def struggled those early days as he took some ribbing from the senior lads and he and Ronnie Whelan became best of pals as they took cover together from the lashing tongues of Souness Kenny & Co. remember that season where he banged in 45 plus goals for the club, 47 actually what a season that was in 1983/84. His first spell at the club was amazing stunning really while his second after coming back from Juve was still impressive as he still scored over 100 goals for us in 6 or 7 seasons.

Himself and Kenny were the perfect pair and I doubt any other striking partnership have come close to gelling in England. Our best #9 ever and not even worth a debate which says it all considering who else we have been blessed with over the decades.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #37 on: December 9, 2012, 02:39:14 pm »
Great tribute to the great man, the only thing I'll add is to say I was there the day,

Rush scored one, Rush scored two, Rush scored three and Rush scored four.

A true Liverpool legend Rushie.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #38 on: December 9, 2012, 02:50:32 pm »
Great summary of a fantastic player, who helped with his countless goals and often overlooked defending from the front.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: December 9, 2012, 03:40:39 pm »
Nice read mate. My mom can't stop harping on about Dharmendra too. But she liked other stars more!
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.