Author Topic: Does Kevin Keegan get enough recognition for what he achieved at Liverpool?  (Read 63846 times)

Offline Fowllah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • What the fuck was I thinking with this pseudo?
Re: Does Kevin Keegan get enough recognition for what he achieved at Liverpool?
« Reply #160 on: November 6, 2011, 11:39:53 am »
When Terry Mac (who hardly ever gets the respect he deserves these days) was on LFCTV he stressed that he would always remain a Red. Keegan said LFC and Newcastle were the two clubs in his heart.
I remember Terry Mac saying years ago that Newcastle was his club and has been since he played for them. It's obvious that both have been in love with the toon when they've commented on us in the past. More so Keegan but probably because he's been interviewed more. 

Offline youll never walk alone it

• Can no longer walk alone as he has whiplash... or that's what his insurer thinks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: November 6, 2011, 11:41:05 am »
terry macs deffo newcstle 1st us 2nd, which is remarkable really...
Im drunk  but i havent had  a drink!  bob paisley after rome 77                The times i had here wernt all great, we only  finished 2nd one  season....the great  bob paisley

when shanks was asked  how he relaxed,  he said  he looks at the league table and checks where everton are...

Offline The Jolly Boys Outing

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: November 6, 2011, 11:41:20 am »
Was keegan ever considered for the job after Souness left ?
AND ARBELOAAAAA

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #163 on: November 6, 2011, 11:48:09 am »
Not really arsed what they did elsewhere....they both have a thoroughly deserved place in the list of LFC legends.
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline gkmacca

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #164 on: November 6, 2011, 12:16:00 pm »
I remember Terry Mac saying years ago that Newcastle was his club and has been since he played for them. It's obvious that both have been in love with the toon when they've commented on us in the past. More so Keegan but probably because he's been interviewed more. 

Yes, and I remember him sayimg what I said I said I remembered him saying. I don't really see why your memory trumps mine.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #165 on: November 6, 2011, 02:47:55 pm »
I'd recommend 60 minutes with Kevin Keegan on LFCTV. Great show.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #166 on: November 6, 2011, 03:28:44 pm »
Was keegan ever considered for the job after Souness left ?

Kevin got asked whether Liverpool had ever asked him to be manager and according to him no they hadn't.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #167 on: November 6, 2011, 04:11:07 pm »
I loved Keegan as a player and was gutted when he left. Unfortunately for Kevin Keegan he was replaced by Kenny Dalglish and the rest is history.

So I suppose the short answer is yes from a playing point of view.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #168 on: November 6, 2011, 04:27:54 pm »
I loved Keegan as a player and was gutted when he left. Unfortunately for Kevin Keegan he was replaced by Kenny Dalglish and the rest is history.

So I suppose the short answer is yes from a playing point of view.

the even shorter answer is no.
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Les Willis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: November 6, 2011, 04:30:51 pm »
I've often wondered why Keegan isn't given the credit he deserves as a legend. I suppose some of it his association with the Toon, but also I think a lot of it is time has elapsed and maybe quite a few of us aren't old enough to remember him playing.

I remember him playing for England more than I can for Liverpool. Players like Toshack don't get much praise either or Steve Heighway. I think a lot of it is down to the fact that some of us are too young (edit: and I'm no whippersnapper..)  :D

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #170 on: November 6, 2011, 04:58:26 pm »
the even shorter answer is no.

I actually meant yes he doesn't get enough recognition. I'm going senile.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #171 on: November 6, 2011, 05:13:51 pm »
I've often wondered why Keegan isn't given the credit he deserves as a legend. I suppose some of it his association with the Toon, but also I think a lot of it is time has elapsed and maybe quite a few of us aren't old enough to remember him playing.

I remember him playing for England more than I can for Liverpool. Players like Toshack don't get much praise either or Steve Heighway. I think a lot of it is down to the fact that some of us are too young (edit: and I'm no whippersnapper..)  :D

I dont necessarily think it's an age thing...as others have said, It has more to do with what happened after he left...his achievements at Anfield were superseded by the most successful spell in the clubs history - If we'd have entered a barren spell the likes of which the Geordies have endured, then he may have attained a similar degree of Messiah status here as well.........although obviously not to the extent demonstrated by the capped t-shirt, potbellied, tab smerkin fans in the North East

Offline larrylimestreet

• Kopite
« Reply #172 on: November 6, 2011, 09:00:16 pm »
Ha ha ha - love that Toon description

Thing is we could always find out about Kevin by reading
the latest news on Geordie arms and legs on holiday abroad.

Whether it be Smerkin Tabs, Battlin' the Flabs or sendin' Mackem's jabs - Kevin Keegan is a Liverpool legend.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: November 6, 2011, 09:07:53 pm »

You've got to remember though Kevin's family came from the north east, his dad was a Newcastle fan so the influence was always there, then he went on to play and manage the Toon, but I don't remember Kevin ever being disrespecful of Liverpool as a club. In fact he always had a photo of Shanks on his desk at Newcastle.

Offline its cold in the stands

• e e cummings
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: November 6, 2011, 09:48:41 pm »

without kevin keegan signing for liverpool there`s a good chance that half the fans supporting us now would be supporting someone else.
after reading some of the comments on these boards last night i dont know if thats a good thing or a bad thing.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: November 6, 2011, 09:54:21 pm »
without kevin keegan signing for liverpool there`s a good chance that half the fans supporting us now would be supporting someone else.
after reading some of the comments on these boards last night i dont know if thats a good thing or a bad thing.
After a bad weekend that brought a smile.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: November 7, 2011, 10:53:39 am »
You've got to remember though Kevin's family came from the north east, his dad was a Newcastle fan so the influence was always there, then he went on to play and manage the Toon, but I don't remember Kevin ever being disrespecful of Liverpool as a club. In fact he always had a photo of Shanks on his desk at Newcastle.

Yeah he always talks about Shanks with much more affection than LFC. Is that the reason?
I dont get the NEwcastle reason. Its possible for fans of two clubs to both love a player = Ray Kennedy for example.
He was born in Doncastor and onlt played for Newcastle for 2 years.

Think the reason we dont love him as much as his football perhaps deserved is that he doesnt particularly love us.

I wonder if he'd never left, who would be our Manager today? Strange to think that things that happen today can effect the future of the club in 30 years time. 
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #177 on: November 7, 2011, 02:22:30 pm »
old man loves him
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: November 7, 2011, 07:09:48 pm »
Yeah he always talks about Shanks with much more affection than LFC. Is that the reason?
I dont get the NEwcastle reason. Its possible for fans of two clubs to both love a player = Ray Kennedy for example.
He was born in Doncastor and onlt played for Newcastle for 2 years.

Think the reason we dont love him as much as his football perhaps deserved is that he doesnt particularly love us.

I wonder if he'd never left, who would be our Manager today? Strange to think that things that happen today can effect the future of the club in 30 years time.

See I don't get what you are saying, if you saw the interview you would see that the has a lot of respect and love for our club. In fact he went on to say that his time at Liverpool shaped him into the man he became, you can't be more respectful than that. And that's even before the affection for Shanks and Bob, whom he learnt a great deal off, and also put into practice when he was manager of Newcastle. Also he was extremely generous towards the fans too, said when they called his name at Anfield it made him feel ten feet tall. 

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #179 on: November 7, 2011, 11:04:41 pm »
The fact, that he left us and then went to Southampton and Newcastle when he returned stopped him from getting the sort of legend status we give to far lesser players. But the lad was a class act. And if Shankly was around he'd soon put his status right. Bill loved the lad. That should say all anyone needs to know about Keegan ....

That's all that need be said really.  keegan was and is an absolute Liverpool Legend.  He may now not have us as deep in his heart as soeme other ex-players, but he has nothing but respect and fondness for the club and its fans.
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #180 on: November 7, 2011, 11:19:36 pm »
The only thing that matters is when he had a red shirt on he gave everything for the team, which he did.     

Good point that.

Compare his last season in 76-77 (when he knew all through it that he was going) to the one that Torres had - moping around like a mardy twat.
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: November 7, 2011, 11:29:34 pm »

Good point that.

Compare his last season in 76-77 (when he knew all through it that he was going) to the one that Torres had - moping around like a mardy twat.
and if he didn't Jimmy Case twatted him.......allegedly.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: November 7, 2011, 11:39:59 pm »
and if he didn't Jimmy Case twatted him.......allegedly.
Tommy Smith?

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: November 8, 2011, 10:17:38 am »
His burst in the European Cup final that leads to the penalty is incredibly Gerrard-esque I think... or more, Gerrard's bursts are Keegan-esque perhaps.

Offline gkmacca

• Kopite
« Reply #184 on: November 8, 2011, 01:09:57 pm »

Good point that.

Well, Kevin was pretty moody in his last season. But, yes, he was certainly infinitely better than Torres when it came to how much energy he invested in the final few months. And what a finale.

Offline bigbear

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: November 8, 2011, 10:59:38 pm »
Tommy Smith?
I always thought it was Jimmy. Maybe just an urban myth.

Offline Redrider

• Departed for a forum with better manners
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: November 9, 2011, 01:11:37 pm »
Frankly, he deserves nothing special, he has not associated himself with the club, since his departure.
His heart is not with the club, others of his era have made a bigger effort to remain part of the family. We were just a useful step along the way in his career. The same will happen with Michael Owen for the same reasons.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #187 on: November 9, 2011, 01:29:11 pm »
Frankly, he deserves nothing special, he has not associated himself with the club, since his departure.

I admire that. He's made his own way in the game and left Liverpool managers to get on with it as they see fit. Better that than hang around, St John style, like a bad smell.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline SuperSubway

• Boys Pen
« Reply #188 on: November 9, 2011, 01:34:56 pm »
I support Liverpool because the old man did, and a large part of that was down to Keegan. Sadly, when Keegan left, the old man took it quite personally and seemed to lose his interest in LFC just as mine was increasing thanks to Keegan's replacement.

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #189 on: November 9, 2011, 01:52:43 pm »
His heart is not with the club, others of his era have made a bigger effort to remain part of the family. We were just a useful step along the way in his career. The same will happen with Michael Owen for the same reasons.
He deserves nothing special? This is a great player who was a huge part of all that 70's success. As far as remaining part of the 'family' - I don't buy that. This is first and foremost big business.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #190 on: November 9, 2011, 02:13:30 pm »
When people talk about the very best Liverpool players of all time, Keegan rarely seems to be mentioned. Does he get the recognition he deserves? If not, why?

Does he get the recognition?

Not by a long chalk. Kevin Keegan was the extra ingredient that transformed Shankly's second side from a really good side into a fantastic one. I've never seen a player sparkle in the way Kevin did for us in that '71-72 season. It was unbelievable. None of us had even heard of him yet there was this little dynamo running every defence ragged and hauling us to greatness . I guess the nearest comparison would be little Luis right now. I'd say if Luis maintains his sparkle for the next 3 or 4 years then he'll definitely rank alongside Kevin Keegan.

Why Not?

Simple one to answer. He was the first idol ever to ask to leave. Many fans never forgave him for that sacrilege. And the player we got to replace him was the greatest we've ever had. And just after Kenny signed kevin keegan returned in his Hamburg team in the Super Cup and we trounced them 5-0 I think. That sort of sealed his demise as a reds hero i think. But to most Reds who grew up with him he'll always be one of our greats.

Offline eAyeAddio

• Legacy Fan
  • The last Kremlin-esque figure in The Main Stand...
« Reply #191 on: November 9, 2011, 02:32:30 pm »
........kevin keegan returned in his Hamburg team in the Super Cup and we trounced them 5-0 I think.

We beat them  6 - 0 and Terry Mc played a blinder.......
They laugh at me because I'm different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.....

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #192 on: November 9, 2011, 02:36:50 pm »
We beat them  6 - 0 and Terry Mc played a blinder.......

Yeah, Ee Aye, remember it now. I was in the kemlyn - that extra goal made all the difference...

;D

Offline Redrider

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: November 9, 2011, 02:43:22 pm »
Keegan, has sufficient respect for his time with Liverpool as a player, particularly in those seasons leading up to the initial European Cup success, but where was he when the club required support, post Heysel and Hillsborough. Other players of his era - Ian Callaghan, Tommy Smith, Jimmy Case have remained steadfast in their quiet supportive association with the club, whilst Keegan has principaly associated himself with the Geordies and nothing wrong with that - his choice!

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #194 on: November 9, 2011, 03:01:55 pm »
Keegan, has sufficient respect for his time with Liverpool as a player, particularly in those seasons leading up to the initial European Cup success, but where was he when the club required support, post Heysel and Hillsborough. Other players of his era - Ian Callaghan, Tommy Smith, Jimmy Case have remained steadfast in their quiet supportive association with the club, whilst Keegan has principaly associated himself with the Geordies and nothing wrong with that - his choice!

I think that's pretty fair comment to balance some of the unstinting praise with a dose of KK's distancing of himself from the scouseness of LFC in favour of the Geordieness of NUFC.

It probably does stem from his family roots being North east and his closeness being more to Shanks as distinct from just the club itself.

At the back of my mind I have this very faint recollection of something a little bit uncomplimentary he once said about Liverpudlians as a breed. I don't think it was particularly nasty or anything but just not as endearing as we might have liked it to be. I'm buggered if i can recall any details of it though as it was possibly 30 years ago.

:)

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: November 9, 2011, 03:21:44 pm »
See I don't get what you are saying, if you saw the interview you would see that the has a lot of respect and love for our club. In fact he went on to say that his time at Liverpool shaped him into the man he became, you can't be more respectful than that. And that's even before the affection for Shanks and Bob, whom he learnt a great deal off, and also put into practice when he was manager of Newcastle. Also he was extremely generous towards the fans too, said when they called his name at Anfield it made him feel ten feet tall.

To be honest Ive not seen whatever interview you are talking about.  Ive assembled this opinion of years of seing make him comments on TV as either a pundit or as a co-commentator. If you are being interviewed you are always likely to say nice things about a club/person. But in general chatter I think you get a better insight.
he obviously  has no grudge against LFC, I just dont think he particularly loves us. If someone doesnt love you, its harder to love them back.

As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Online Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #196 on: November 9, 2011, 03:37:52 pm »
Kevin Keegan says Liverpool turned-down the chance to re-sign him after he left Hamburg in 1980.

Following a six-year career at Anfield, Keegan moved to Hamburg in 1977, before securing a move to Southampton at the end of the decade, but says before moving to the south coast, Liverpool were offered the opportunity to bring him back.

"It was an option," he said. "I was with Lawrie McMenemy at a charity event the other day and he said he phoned up Peter Robinson, because he wanted me but Liverpool had a clause, but Peter said, 'No, we won't be signing him, definitely, we don't need him'.

"Liverpool had moved on, got different players and partnerships, were just as successful and arguably about to be even more successful.

"In football terms, it's never easy to go back. You've had it happen over the years a couple of times and it's half worked but it's never really the same. My book had been written at Liverpool and it was a nice little book. I had a lot of good fun and a few little downs, which makes a good story."

However, while he may be worshipped in the north-east, Keegan says his real calling is on Merseyside.

"I played for and managed Newcastle, my father and all his relatives were from up there, so there was a big pull for me in the north-east. But Liverpool made me, not just as a footballer but as a person. The people I met: Shanks, Tommy Smith, Ian Callaghan, Ron Yeats. All these people you take something from.

"You think, what makes Emlyn Hughes so special on the football field? Fitness. I want to be fit. What makes Tommy Smith so special? He absolutely loves the club. I'll take a bit of that. Taking bits of those people made me. It was a very influential time for me.

"The fans made me. When they started singing my name! What am I, five foot seven with Cuban heeled boots? But [because of them] I was six foot six."

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/keegan-reveals-return-offer
That shows me that he still has a lot of love and respect for us.
Compairing his move away from us with Owen or Torres is ridiculous.
He had given us 6 full seasons service, helping us to win 3 League titles, 2 UEFA cups, 1 FA Cup and 1 European cup.
His leaving of us was purely for financial reasons, as there was more money to be made in Europe and he DID give us a full seasons notice.
Some people might look at that as he was greedy, but you have to remember that the money the players were making then in the old First Division was crap compaired to what you could make playing abroad.

I prefer to remember him as a whole hearted player who gave his all while he was here, helping us to become the best team in Europe.

Offline Redrider

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: November 9, 2011, 03:47:02 pm »
With the exception of gushing praise for Bill Shankly, which by the way is principally projected from the selfish point of the influence that Bill had upon himself. Keegan is usually fairly neutral about Liverpool Football Club.
I half suspect that Bill retiring was the catalyst for his decision to take his football career off into another direction. What was suprising at the time was his team of choice - Hamburg! who were hardly the Barca or RM of their day. Infact, as history would have it, he had just resigned from the team of the forthcoming decade. His motives for a move were never clear, but most certainly he had no emotional regrets at laeaving LFC and carries no real affection for the club forward to this day.
« Last Edit: November 9, 2011, 04:09:21 pm by Redrider »

Offline youll never walk alone it

• Can no longer walk alone as he has whiplash... or that's what his insurer thinks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: November 9, 2011, 03:56:14 pm »
wont forget his knicked car jibe when he was man city boss, of course he was great for us but so was the likes of lawrenson, great player but not great  people i see it.
Im drunk  but i havent had  a drink!  bob paisley after rome 77                The times i had here wernt all great, we only  finished 2nd one  season....the great  bob paisley

when shanks was asked  how he relaxed,  he said  he looks at the league table and checks where everton are...

Offline its cold in the stands

• e e cummings
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: November 9, 2011, 04:21:39 pm »

i think your missing the point, keegan was a major factor in this club becoming the force it did in european and english football.
before keegan we were just one of a number of clubs who had achieved a bit of success, in the decade before he arrived we had won the title twice (also finished runners up once) plus an F.A cup win, man united had won the title twice (runners up twice) plus a european cup and a F.A. cup, everton had won the title twice plus an F.A. cup win, leeds had won the title once (runners up four times, five if you include keegans first season) and lost three F.A cup finals, man city had won the title once plus an F.A cup win and arsenal had the same as city.
until keegan arrived there was nothing remarkable about us, we were just one of a host of clubs and infact when he arrived we were at the back of that bunch finishing 5th the two previous years and both times 15 points away from the champions (in those 2 points for a win days 15 points would be more like 25 points these days)
in the six years he spent here we won 3 titles, finished runner up twice and the other season we finished third, but ironically the season we finished third we ended up on the same points as second place leeds just 1 point behind the champions and we had a good goal ruled out away at arsenal on the last day of the season that would have made us champions.
in other words all the while keegan was here we either won the title or went very close
on top of that in those six years we won two uefa cups (in an era when some people said it was harder to win than the actual european cup) we appeared in two F.A cup finals winning one and we won the european cup.
in the six years keegan spent at liverpool we went from one of the pack to the best side in england and europe, no other club in the history of the game had had such a run of success and consistency
it depends what you call a legend i suppose, you could get someone from roy evans era going on telly saying this club means the world to him getting called a legend for his words.
personally my legends did their talking on the pitch, not in the tv studio.
none bigger than keegan in my book, he`s up there with the liddell`s and dalglish`s etc