Author Topic: Jerzy Dudek Retires  (Read 33342 times)

Offline Mr Kipling

• Manhattanite
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Dream of Kloppifornication"
Re: Jerzy Dudek Retires
« Reply #200 on: May 30, 2011, 12:23:18 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/FEwcj81nX5k" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/FEwcj81nX5k</a>

Top fella and i've always thought that his double save and penalty save against Shevchenko was the catalyst for Shevchenko's decline shortly after.

Enjoy your Retirement Jerzy.  :scarf :champ

Offline redoneusa

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #201 on: May 30, 2011, 12:48:12 pm »
Legend! Enjoy your retirement mate. One of the very best goalkeepers in our history.
You will find me on Twatter: Follow my Twatter

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: May 30, 2011, 12:51:46 pm »
Enjoy retirement Jerzy.  What a great servant to our club.

Offline Theman1976

• Main Stander
  • "Non è tutto oro quello che luce"
« Reply #203 on: May 30, 2011, 01:06:11 pm »
Thanks for what you did for us and you will always be part of our historic victory that wont ever be surpassed

Goodluck with your gardening now matie

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #204 on: May 30, 2011, 04:11:28 pm »
Dudek flag for istanbul? Class

Yeah Inter always were pretty class over that, the time we played them in 2008, there was a banner saying something like "No matter what happens tonight, for 25/05/2005, we will always thank you."
I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

"Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone
YNWA Rafa.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Jerzy Dudek
« Reply #205 on: April 22, 2016, 03:21:27 pm »
So our Jerzy will forever be a legend. Love the man.

But we've surely got to chit chat about this article, where he talks about wanting to punch Rafa in the face in his final year at the club:
http://www.espnfc.com/liverpool/story/2855916/jerzy-dudek-wanted-to-punch-ex-liverpool-manager-rafa-benitez

Wowzer lol
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline _00_deathscar

• Has a quite operational deflecsor shield.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
    • The Suite Life by Chinmoy Lad
Re: Jerzy Dudek
« Reply #206 on: April 22, 2016, 05:42:42 pm »
I often want to punch my manager in the face. It's work, it's a job.
All things luxury travel. Be inspired for your next trip: https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #207 on: April 22, 2016, 06:43:05 pm »
http://www.joe.co.uk/

In the pantheon of Liverpool greats, Jerzy Dudek definitely falls more into the category of cult hero than outright legend.
The Polish goalkeeper was between the sticks on that night in Istanbul, making a skilful double save to keep the Reds in the game in extra time (after conceding three goals in the first half of the game).

Despite saving penalties from Andrea Pirlo and Andriy Shevchenko in the final's shootout, then-Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez deemed the Pole surplus to requirements and brought in fellow Spaniard Pepe Reina from Villareal.

Although Dudek stuck around Anfield for a further two seasons, he has revealed that his time on Merseyside after winning the Champions League was anything but amicable.

In a recently serialised segment of his brilliantly-titled autobiography - A Pole in Our Goal - in the Liverpool Echo, Dudek admits he wanted to punch Benitez in the face after the future Newcastle manager refused to allow him join FC Koln on loan, before deciding punching a Champions League-winning manager might be a bad look.

'He said, "I will be honest with you, I am not interested in loaning you. If they come back today to buy you, they need to double their offer as this is the last day of the transfer window.” I was furious with him, absolutely fuming, and in my head I could hear a devilish voice saying ‘punch him in the face – punch him in the face and he’ll let you go to Germany’.

'To be completely honest, I genuinely considered punching Rafa in the face. Then the consequences of doing so flashed through my mind. Would he let me go? Or would it just lead to a massive media scandal? Surely I couldn’t stay if I gave him a smack?

'I don’t know how, but I managed to stop myself. Punching a Liverpool manager who had won the European Cup only a few months earlier wouldn’t have looked too good on the CV I guess, but I was still angry.'
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
« Reply #208 on: April 22, 2016, 07:14:43 pm »
Well done to Rafa for looking after Liverpool's interests.
You try me once you beg for more.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: April 22, 2016, 07:15:56 pm »
I often want to punch my manager in the face. It's work, it's a job.

i suppose when you put it like that ... surprised not more people want to dissect this. Pleasantly surprised :)
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline anything else

• You ain't seen me..... roight?
  • Kopite
« Reply #210 on: April 22, 2016, 07:20:48 pm »
 :lmao

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #211 on: April 22, 2016, 07:30:14 pm »
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/jerzy-dudek-reveals-gerard-houllier-7813408?1

Doesn't like Ged:

Jerzy Dudek has revealed the moment when he believes Gerard Houllier lost the Liverpool dressing room.

The Frenchman managed Liverpool for six years between 1998 and 2004 before being replaced by Valencia boss Rafa Benitez.

Houllier won half a dozen pieces of silverware during his time at Anfield, but Dudek revealed things started to go wrong in November 2003 - six months before Houllier left the club.

This excerpt from his new book explains how Houllier became, as Dudek puts it, paranoid towards the end of his tenure, believing the players were turning against him.

Dudek takes up the story...

We travelled to Romania to play Steaua Bucharest in the UEFA Cup. It was a filthy night. We played on a rain-soaked pitch in freezing conditions and drew 1-1.

Normally, after a game, we did a warm down on the pitch so it was no surprise when we heard: “Outside in three minutes lads,” from Sammy Lee, a former Liverpool player who was one of our coaches.

Houllier managed Liverpool for six years between 1998 and 2000
“You kidding?” said Steven Gerrard. “We’re going nowhere. Look at the lads, they’re all freezing. Djimi [Traore] is shaking so much he looks like he's been wired up to the mains. We’ll do stretches in the dressing room instead.”

Lee wasn’t having it. He started to argue with Stevie when Houllier walked back in: “What’s going on?” Stevie explained that we didn’t want to go back out into the freezing rain so Houllier thought for a moment before telling Phil Thompson, Lee and all the rest of the staff to leave the dressing room.

“This is what I like to hear,” he said. “Sometimes you have to take the responsibility. You don’t want to go? Fine. Stevie, lead the stretching in the dressing room. It’ll be the best for you all.”

This was the moment when I believe Houllier lost the Liverpool dressing room. He undermined one of his coaches and gave the power to the players. Sammy even came back into the dressing room and apologised to Stevie while we were doing the stretches! That said a lot.

An incident involving Sammy Lee was the turning point, Dudek claims
Increasingly, Houllier had been trying to ‘motivate’ players by making examples of them in front of the other lads. After another game he started going through the team. “Where’s that player from Leicester City? Emile? Emile Heskey? Where are you? Remember when you used to get the ball, run through the defence and score goals? Where is that player now? Am I missing something? We paid a lot of money for you...”

Then it was Salif Diao: “Do you remember where you came from? Sedan. And do you know the difference between Sedan and Liverpool? I don’t think you do. You don’t appreciate the fact you play for mighty Liverpool now.”

Stephane Henchoz had problems with his Achilles tendon. He was doing all he could to get back on the pitch and had been a great servant for Houllier, especially when Liverpool won five trophies in 2001, but now he was on the receiving end of the manager’s anger.

“How long are you going to be injured, Stephane?” asked Houllier. “You’re taking your time to recover on purpose because we’re not playing well.”

Dudek says Houllier became critical of his players towards the end of his tenure
“I’ve just come back from the doctor. I’ve had another injection,” he replied. “He says I’ve got tendinitis but this might help...”

“I know what I’m seeing.”

Then it was my turn. He went back to the start of my Liverpool career and listed every mistake I’d made, month by month.

“November 2002, Middlesbrough. December 2002, Manchester United. March 2003, Tottenham.” He chucked in a couple of other teams and yelled: “You think because you were Man Of The Match when we won the League Cup you can act like a star? You’re making mistakes which cost us points.”

“That’s not too bad for the three years,” I snapped back, smiling as I did so.

“You think it’s funny? Let me tell you this. If Chris Kirkland had been fit he’d have played in the League Cup final.”

Then he turned to Danny Murphy: “And don’t think I haven’t been watching you. You train like a grandad. Are you going to retire soon?”

But then he paused for a moment. Danny was part of a ‘titled’ group at Liverpool, I suppose you might call it a group of players the manager favoured. “But Danny, I liked your reaction against Bolton.” Danny had scored in that game and, realising he was a player he wanted to keep onside, he tried to soften the criticism.

Danny Murphy celebrates scoring at Old Trafford in 2000 Mirrorpix
Danny Murphy (left) was one of the players liked by Houllier
Traore also got stick from Houllier: “Since you got your contract extension you’ve stopped trying in training – you’re lazy.”

He concluded by addressing the whole group and displaying his paranoia: “I know what you’re up to. You’re waiting for me to be sacked. You’re playing badly to get rid of me. You’ll be sorry. The new manager will put most of you in the reserves. You won’t be laughing then.”

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: April 22, 2016, 07:35:37 pm »
Wow Ged had really lost the plot by then.

But it does sound funny trying to imagine how it sounded in that voice.  ;D

Offline goalspaytherent

• Just thought of a CT.....then saw the post history.....not gonna bother.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #213 on: April 22, 2016, 07:35:41 pm »
That night in Istanbul will live with me forever ....that save was heaven sent ....love Dudek :)

Thanks for the memories

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #214 on: April 22, 2016, 08:10:09 pm »
His new book sounds like a cracker

Here's an excerpt about the '05 CL Final penalties and the coaches' signals from the sidelines

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/former-liverpool-keeper-jerzy-dudek-7808928
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline ABZ Rover

• Legacy Fan
  • Hates Poodles
« Reply #215 on: April 22, 2016, 10:05:54 pm »
Thank god for the reason of the resurrection of this thread.  I had a bloody awful moment when I saw it pop up after the way 2016 seems to be killing off folk I admire.......
97 stars burning bright, forever watching over day or night

12/09/12 Truth Day!   Justice Day is coming... it arrived 26/04/16!

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: April 23, 2016, 06:33:56 am »
Then he turned to Danny Murphy: “And don’t think I haven’t been watching you. You train like a grandad. Are you going to retire soon?”

TBF it looks like Rafa agreed with Houllier in the end.  ;D
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
« Reply #217 on: April 23, 2016, 07:18:42 am »
That was a very poor squad Rafa inherited.

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
« Reply #218 on: April 23, 2016, 07:23:55 am »
On Rafa's advice on penalties: -

He advised me to mentally divide the goal into six squares. Starting from the top right would be squares one, two and three and from the bottom left would be squares four, five and six. I would then look at videos of opposition penalty takers and work out which ‘square’ they were most likely to strike their penalty towards.

It took me four months to truly get my head around it

4 months?

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: April 23, 2016, 07:30:28 am »
Fascinating reading the link about the prep, the events in the final.

Offline kaz1983

• "Bloody Memory Wavers" Currently in debt with RAWK.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well dunno what to say, honest
« Reply #220 on: April 23, 2016, 10:42:48 am »

TBF it looks like Rafa agreed with Houllier in the end.  ;D
hahahahahaha

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #221 on: April 23, 2016, 11:29:55 am »
The Sammy Lee getting back to the room and apologising to Gerrard bit is the worst. Fucking hell!
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline leroy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: April 23, 2016, 11:46:37 am »

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #223 on: April 23, 2016, 11:59:54 am »
The Sammy Lee getting back to the room and apologising to Gerrard bit is the worst. Fucking hell!

Shocking that. Gerrard complaining it was too cold and the players didn't want to go back out in the rain(poor lambs). And then Houllier telling him its a good idea and to do what he thinks best.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: April 23, 2016, 12:50:20 pm »
Former players and their books can get to fuck. All that dressing room stuff should stay in the dressing room, not be blathered about for people's entertainment.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #225 on: April 23, 2016, 01:11:25 pm »
Former players and their books can get to fuck. All that dressing room stuff should stay in the dressing room, not be blathered about for people's entertainment.
I see your point but this is pretty historical. I don't like it if managers and players are still at the club but this was another life time ago in footballing terms. Plus, it's football, it's there to entertain - even the politics.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: April 23, 2016, 01:15:52 pm »
What about former managers? :-X

Offline Crackerjack Sam

• Legacy Fan
  • Egyptian Magician
« Reply #227 on: April 23, 2016, 03:48:39 pm »
It's interesting stuff. But I do agree
PSN ID - hajme1   
Sticking to RAWK I am.  Real forum, real mods, real fans, fair and unbiased opinions etc..etc.. 8)

Offline Loo Pan

• Lower Cooker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Heavy Metal Football
« Reply #228 on: April 23, 2016, 04:32:43 pm »
Would still have him over Mignolet.

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #229 on: April 23, 2016, 04:36:33 pm »
Would still have him over Mignolet.

amazing how literally any thread can be used to have a pop at our players. idiot.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #230 on: April 23, 2016, 05:39:42 pm »
Would have made a good International Ambassador  ;)
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #231 on: April 23, 2016, 05:40:58 pm »
What about former managers? :-X

Depends entirely on the manager and  how honest they are with their failings. I buy or read very few player books, especially from today's players. As most seem unable to see life from anyone else's point of view apart from their own. Everything is about me, me, me, and very few can ever see the wider picture, so it get's really pointless reading it. 

Some one who is prepared to be a bit more open-minded and mature enough to admit their own mistakes, on the other hand, is a bit more enlightening. I can't say I will be buying Jerzy's book, as it seems a bit too much like the first paragraph.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #232 on: April 23, 2016, 06:53:29 pm »
I don't see the harm now none of these players are no longer with us. Dudek was an exceptional keeper during his 1st season with us but looked fragile at times during the following 3 seasons. Had it not been for injuries to Chris Kirkland I think Dudek would have played a lot less games for us.

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #233 on: April 23, 2016, 10:31:05 pm »
Shocking that. Gerrard complaining it was too cold and the players didn't want to go back out in the rain(poor lambs). And then Houllier telling him its a good idea and to do what he thinks best.

No wonder Gerrard has/had issues with Rafa if he was getting his own way to that extent under GH.
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: April 23, 2016, 11:05:00 pm »
Just read that piece from the link above. Not suprised. Will remember Dudek for one game and it's the best one he could have picked. Still can't believe he actually made that save from close range in extra time.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #235 on: April 24, 2016, 12:26:43 am »
Just read that piece from the link above. Not suprised. Will remember Dudek for one game and it's the best one he could have picked. Still can't believe he actually made that save from close range in extra time.

i'm still convinced dudek entered the matrix for that save.  it defied all sense.
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline UNO

• Kopite
« Reply #236 on: April 24, 2016, 04:58:35 am »
No wonder Gerrard has/had issues with Rafa if he was getting his own way to that extent under GH.

We should never let players have too much power, bit disappointed with Gerrard if what Dudek said is true!

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: April 24, 2016, 06:47:43 am »
I see your point but this is pretty historical. I don't like it if managers and players are still at the club but this was another life time ago in footballing terms. Plus, it's football, it's there to entertain - even the politics.
Yeah, fair point. I don't mind so long as it's respectful. All that stuff making Houllier out to be a paranoid lunatic isn't right. Especially when you consider how he brought him to the club where he had the most successful years of his career. Comes across a bit bitter.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: April 24, 2016, 08:24:30 pm »
All that stuff making Houllier out to be a paranoid lunatic isn't right. Especially when you consider how he brought him to the club where he had the most successful years of his career. Comes across a bit bitter.

What Dudek said doesn't sound good. It makes him sound bitter. But I'm not surprised. I expect more players to come out with similar stories about GH. If you go back to around 2003, you may understand. My opinion is that players need to keep their mouths shut when they are active and I think they stick with that. After their career is over, they may think otherwise.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #239 on: April 24, 2016, 08:25:49 pm »

Aye, true.