Author Topic: Xabi Alonso  (Read 334815 times)

Offline liverpoolfc73

• pure shyte
  • No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Xabi Alonso
« on: September 1, 2009, 07:07:47 pm »
Mods feel free to move this where appropriate:

ALONSO ON LIVERPOOL...
"It was a tough call and a very difficult decision for me to leave Liverpool. During my five years I was lucky enough to experience some magical nights at Anfield, to experience the support of the best fans in the world. I will always have them in my mind."

ALONSO ON BENITEZ...
"There have been a lot of rumours but as I've said before, it was a professional relationship. I have always tried to do what he asked me to do on the pitch. When the birth of my child happened, I had to take a decision to be with my family because it was an important moment. Last summer when the club proposed that I had to be sold to buy new players it was a difficult moment, but I accepted it as a professional. That moment changed my mind, from that moment it was time for a change.

Offline mariov77

• Legacy Fan
Re: Xabi Alonso - new interview
« Reply #1 on: September 1, 2009, 07:09:42 pm »
Source?
The past was amazing the future looks scary...

Offline trigger

• sexist and shallow
  • Legacy Fan
  • The romans invented the knob on a stick
« Reply #2 on: September 1, 2009, 07:10:27 pm »

General football and sport :wave
Frankly if your team is mentioned in a Liverpool song, you should be chuffed

Offline evenflow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: September 1, 2009, 07:11:30 pm »
Source?

was on this evening sky sports this evening
Quote from: rowan_d on Today at 05:49:28 PM
And though Jacob once did ascend unto the Holy Mountain, Christ the Healer declared unto him, 'Mad Men has had a mare in this thread.'

Jacob, 3:16

Offline alex.

• "Bring out The Blimp!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: September 1, 2009, 07:13:33 pm »
Was on Revista de La Liga earlier

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: September 1, 2009, 07:13:56 pm »

ALONSO ON LIVERPOOL...
"It was a tough call and a very difficult decision for me to leave Liverpool. During my five years I was lucky enough to experience some magical nights at Anfield, to experience the support of the best fans in the world. I will always have them in my mind."

ALONSO ON BENITEZ...
"There have been a lot of rumours but as I've said before, it was a professional relationship. I have always tried to do what he asked me to do on the pitch. When the birth of my child happened, I had to take a decision to be with my family because it was an important moment. Last summer when the club proposed that I had to be sold to buy new players it was a difficult moment, but I accepted it as a professional. That moment changed my mind, from that moment it was time for a change.

A gentlemen. You cannot argue with a single word.
---It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love-- william melvin hicks

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: September 1, 2009, 07:15:25 pm »
That is precisely why i have no ill-feeling towards Xabi, don't blame him one bit for wanting to move. Not having at go at Rafa either btw.

Offline liverpoolfc73

• pure shyte
  • No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #7 on: September 1, 2009, 07:17:24 pm »
Source: La Liga Revista -

He talks about Kaka, Ronaldo and the confidence Real madrid showed in him by spending that much money.

A true Professional, I think he called it like he saw it - the club put him up for sale and any half decent professional would have seen that has a sign to move on....glad he he mentions the Anfield faithful.

Xabi Alonso, we will miss you...!!1

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: September 1, 2009, 07:19:28 pm »
Saw the interview, feel gutted every time I see him on telly particularly wearing those fascists shirt. It is true Rafa and the whole Juve/Barry thing was very underhand as was him not being allowed to see his baby being born. But I always hoped that our love for him would somehow win the day. No offense to Gerro/Carra but I think for me he was more Liverpool than any other player in the team.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #9 on: September 1, 2009, 07:19:38 pm »
So, it DOES come down to bad man-management afterall.
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: September 1, 2009, 07:19:40 pm »
it was pretty interesting how his tone changed when the conversation switched from kaka to ronaldo

Offline Ecuared

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: September 1, 2009, 07:19:58 pm »
So the truth comes out at last. Fair enough I guess. Still wish he would have stayed one last year, but what can you do? If I was in a job and wanted to move elsewhere I would do so so I can{t really blame him.
“He was a very good customer. He was just the three bottles of semi-skimmed. They didn’t have to be placed zonally on his step or anything. He was happy to have a chat and he would always look after you at Christmas.”

Offline MidwestWool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wool
« Reply #12 on: September 1, 2009, 07:22:11 pm »
it was pretty interesting how his tone changed when the conversation switched from kaka to ronaldo

Did he froth at his mouth and called Ronaldo a cheating c*nt?

Anyways, true professional and I wish him the best.

Offline liverpoolfc73

• pure shyte
  • No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #13 on: September 1, 2009, 07:22:40 pm »
If you put yourself in his shoes, whatever form of employment you are in and you realize that your employer is looking for a replacement for you while you are still employed and you have given it your best for the past 4 years, i bet everyone would feel insecure and would want to protect their own interest and that of their young family (if they had one).

Xabi Alonso - you walk tall !!

I hope you get a rapturous welcome if and when you come back to Anfield. The Lazio pre-season friendly last year, told you all you need to know about how we felt about you.

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #14 on: September 1, 2009, 07:25:48 pm »
If I was in a job and wanted to move elsewhere I would do so so I can{t really blame him.

But the simple truth is ... if he hadn't been touted around by Rafa and the club last year, he would probably have still been with us now.

This is not a Ronalso situation here, in fact it's almost the complete opposite.
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline The Nihilists

• Bovvered
  • Legacy Fan
  • I will cut off your Johnson
« Reply #15 on: September 1, 2009, 07:26:22 pm »
So, it DOES come down to bad man-management afterall.

Maybe.

But it was right on the eve of a massive game, and Rafa is paid to get results. A difficult situation, maybe not handled the best.

But as for going after Barry, Alonso had lost his edge, and he only found it again after that.

So - good man-management as well. Within a year, the player was worth £30m. It backfired in that we still need him, but had we won the title on the back of Xabi's form last season, it'd be labelled genius.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #16 on: September 1, 2009, 07:26:47 pm »
Cany argue with that, he knows the fans loved him (who will forget that saved penalty???)

As for his relationship with Rafa, again I cant fault him. I love Rafa as much as anyone and am a firm Rafaista but he cocked up there big time. I expect every player to be ready to die for the cause and show total commitment to the club and its fans, but I couldnt knock a man wanting to be at the birth of his child, footballer or otherwise.

And Rafa made it clear he wanted to sell Xabi last year, and when a manager demonstrates a lack of belief in your ability (justified or not) most of us would walk if an employer of equal stature comes knocking, again footballer or otherwise.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Scribble8

• Bad WUM. Nu hållar sin käft, jävla wumjävel......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: September 1, 2009, 07:28:05 pm »
Can't understand we wanted to sell him last summer and bring in Barry, and then fail with that. After that Alonso made a fantastic season due to the dissapointment from the boarding and Rafa, what a PROFESSIONAL. I loveed him here at Liverpool and I will love to see him rule Spain.

Offline MHLC

• My Horse Likes Cheese
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: September 1, 2009, 07:28:13 pm »

But the simple truth is ... if he hadn't been touted around by Rafa and the club last year, he would probably have still been with us now.

This is not a Ronalso situation here, in fact it's almost the complete opposite.

How can a "probably" be a truth?

Move on mate. Alonso plays for Madrid.

Offline liverpoolfc73

• pure shyte
  • No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #19 on: September 1, 2009, 07:31:24 pm »
I am 100% behind Rafa and am completely convinced of the current crop of managers out there available or not, he is the one to bring back our glory days, however having said that, it doesnt make Rafa immune from mistakes. Like all managers, Rafa has had some clangers, and his man--management of Alonso (either forced or voluntary) was one of his poorest decisions. Even last summer, when Rafa came out in the media to reaffirm his committment to players like Benayoun and Kuyt, he failed to come out and put his arms around Alonso. The Barry deal never happened and we were better off for it.  Like all of us, Alonso is a down to earth simple human being at the end of the day, he needed to feel wanted and needed to feel that the manager and club had confidence in his abilities.

Unfortunately, he had to move on. Credit to Rafa for being able to realize a significant gain on his sale, but what good are those funds if the Yanks use them to retire debt obligations. Till Aquilani is fit and available, we have a $30mil gaiping hole in the middle. If you listen to his interview, Alonso talks about how Real Madrid plan on using him i.e linking the defence with the offence...exactly what we are missing now....

Xabi Alonso !!
Xabi Alonso !!
Xabi Alonso !!
Xabi Alonso !!

Admittedly players who hand in transfer requests are'nt remembered too fondly, but in this case, I hope the Anfield faithful make an exception. He was an Anfield Legend
« Last Edit: September 1, 2009, 07:34:23 pm by liverpoolfc73 »

Offline k4bir

• Main Stander
« Reply #20 on: September 1, 2009, 07:31:58 pm »
fuckin still gutted about this,never really bothered that much with past [layers lkeaving but this one bugs me still

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: September 1, 2009, 07:31:58 pm »
Did he froth at his mouth and called Ronaldo a cheating c*nt?

sounded a bit like he was talking through gritted teeth when speaking about him

Offline bullfrog

• Main Stander
  • smashing it in
« Reply #22 on: September 1, 2009, 07:32:08 pm »
After three poor years rafa decided it was time for a replacement. It was only then, when Xabi says in his own words he decided it was time to move on following which he upped his game to the level expected. He was clearly stagnating at Liverpool and while we will never know why it's certain that what has transpired is best all round.

Players come and go, it's well past the time you all moved on.

Offline nyctex

• God Bless America
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Close your eyes...and imagine it's Jason McAteer
« Reply #23 on: September 1, 2009, 07:32:49 pm »
a professional in his relationship with the club and Rafa, but he definitely held the supporters higher than that.

Can't hate on Xabi.

Offline Tom_B

• Suffering from Keyboard Diarrhea? Rawkite most likely to take his ball home in a huff #1
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #24 on: September 1, 2009, 07:34:33 pm »
but he definitely held the supporters higher than that.

So much so that he didn't tell the fans he wanted to go until a week before the season started.
We're on our way to glory...

Offline liverpoolfc73

• pure shyte
  • No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #25 on: September 1, 2009, 07:38:18 pm »
So much so that he didn't tell the fans he wanted to go until a week before the season started.

I dont think he has an obligation to tell the fans anything. He didnt want to go last year - he was being flogged around by the club. Why would he come out and categorically state that he wanted to go, especially since no deal was on the table till then...

Offline alex.

• "Bring out The Blimp!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: September 1, 2009, 07:42:54 pm »
I think Rafa, the fans and the club deserved at least one more season of loyalty from him especially considering how close we came last season

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: September 1, 2009, 07:43:15 pm »
He still calls us the best fans in the world. He may be an ultra professional, but there's no arguing with that whiff of emotion laced in that statement.

He told Rafa 2-3 months before- ie, the people who needed to know, knew in plenty of time.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: September 1, 2009, 07:43:15 pm »
After three poor years rafa decided it was time for a replacement.

That is complete horseshit!

Offline 12Kings

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: September 1, 2009, 07:43:15 pm »
It was also the moment he realized he would have to play his best football to go where he really wanted to move to.

Bah, you can't help being bitter about it, but I suppose he had to act out his revenge after what happened last summer, but it brought the best out of him. I did a similar thing a few months ago, not that I'm a professional footballer, but I was treated in the same minor by former employee's and moved on to greener pastures leaving them in the shit. It's harsh, but there's a point of no going back, and I get that.

Offline Tom_B

• Suffering from Keyboard Diarrhea? Rawkite most likely to take his ball home in a huff #1
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #30 on: September 1, 2009, 07:44:23 pm »
He told Rafa 2-3 months before- ie, the people who needed to know, knew in plenty of time.

Who told you that?
We're on our way to glory...

Offline beardsley4ever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: September 1, 2009, 07:45:22 pm »
I think what is so painful about it all is that Xabi embodied (for me anyway) what Liverpool Football Club is all about.  Almost more than Carra or Stevie.  I know that sounds crazy, but Xabi had the understated class that only a true fan of football would appreciate to its fullest - not of its glitz and MOTD highlights, but of the perfect pass, the simple tackle, the quiet leadership, and the perfect setting of tempo.  And in that sense, he was a player that we felt we appreciated more than your average Engerland fan ever would.  And it was that that makes his departure hurt so much.

Hmm, drinking before posting is a bad idea.  Off to get another bevvie.

Offline Helsinki Red

• ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: September 1, 2009, 07:45:34 pm »
Come back Xabi.

Offline beardsley4ever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: September 1, 2009, 07:45:52 pm »
Who told you that?

Urr, Rafa when he said that he knew Xabi was leaving in May this year?

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: September 1, 2009, 07:45:58 pm »

Then why had you made your mind up before the season had finished? Why wouldn't you stay one more season when we needed stability to go for the league?

Last summer when the club proposed that I had to be sold to buy new players it was a difficult moment, but I accepted it as a professional. That moment changed my mind, from that moment it was time for a change.

If he'd had the season he had in his last year with us then, we wouldn't have tried to sell him or shake up the system as we did.

As much as it will be debated as to how good Xabi was in his two 'crap' seasons (for lack of a better term), it's clear that last season was his best since he first joined us.
It hurts and sickens me that he's essentially saying that he upped his game to get a transfer. He decided a year ago to move? Xabi, I thought better of you.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: September 1, 2009, 07:48:42 pm »
Who told you that?

Rafa said in an interview that Alonso had told him in May that he wanted to leave. It was just the price war which meant the deal was done so late.

Personally, I'd have set a date before the Asia tour at the latest, told Real to put up or shut up by then (they were obviously willing to pay £30m in the end so they'd have done it earlier) and if the deadline was elapsed, Alonso would stay.

« Last Edit: September 1, 2009, 07:50:18 pm by BazC »
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: September 1, 2009, 07:49:28 pm »
Who told you that?

He intimated as much in an interview soon after he joined the fascists. He said his mind was made up a few months before the end of last season. I think he would have let Rafa know well in advance his plans, hence the protracted transfer, with Rafa genuinely trying to keep him and also get the most for him and the immediate signing of Aquilani.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline liverpoolfc73

• pure shyte
  • No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #37 on: September 1, 2009, 07:49:37 pm »
Who told you that?

Rafa in his press conference when introducing Aquilani saying that Alonso had made up his mind in April/May of this year

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: September 1, 2009, 07:51:01 pm »
I think Rafa, the fans and the club deserved at least one more season of loyalty from him especially considering how close we came last season

even though it now appears that rafa wanted to sell him?

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: September 1, 2009, 07:51:31 pm »

As much as it will be debated as to how good Xabi was in his two 'crap' seasons (for lack of a better term), it's clear that last season was his best since he first joined us.
It hurts and sickens me that he's essentially saying that he upped his game to get a transfer. He decided a year ago to move? Xabi, I thought better of you.

Don't remember any crap seasons from Xabi, I remember crap seasons for Liverpool as a team but his performance for me was always above par.