Author Topic: John Barnes  (Read 171299 times)

Offline Trousers

• All Mouth And...
  • Legacy Fan
Re: John Barnes
« Reply #80 on: January 22, 2009, 06:57:06 am »
I read these forums all the time and never post, but for John Barnes, I have to! Anybody remember a goal he scored at the kop end against Villa? He cut in from the left and put so much bend on it! Nigel Spink said it was the best goal he`d ever conceded.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dzGouuyt2Cc
1.29 in.
Militant Internet Terrorist.

Offline In the Name of Klopp

• smann. Talks as if he/she/they single handedly saw off H&G in 2010.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: January 22, 2009, 07:47:45 am »
My all time favorite Liverpoolplayer along with Ian Rush.
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”

Offline Bosshog

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • what a hit son.....WHAT A HIT!!!!!!!
« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2009, 08:37:19 am »
The main reason im a reds fan!!

absolute legend and an amazing talent........no one like him these days!!
Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose: it's how drunk you get!!

Homer Simpson

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #83 on: January 22, 2009, 09:37:00 am »
He made me somewhat miserable as a child. My cousin was probably the first person who really got me into football when I was a youngster, and he's 5/6 years older than I am, and he absolutely loved John Barnes. I always felt as though I was missing something out as a kid because wingers were my favourite players. I absolutely loved McManaman, he was my favourite player. I also loved watching Ginola, Kinkladze and for my sins, Kanchelskis and Giggs. Those wonderfully direct wingers who could beat a man (or three) with ease. When I went on and on about these players I was always greeted with the same old "John Barnes was better" - it stung. My abiding memory of John Barnes is the double one-two with Rush, the "Collymore closing in..." moment. It took me another 10 years to find out that this wasn't even Barnes' definitive "double one-two".

By the time I finally got around to seeing the 'real' John Barnes I'd already been told enough to know that he was on a different level to my boyhood heroes. I've seen most of the famous Barnes moments through things like Youtube now, and it's easy to see why he was so loved. Two of my favourite Liverpool goals are from Barnes. The Brentford (I think?) one where he gets the ball on the half way line and goes past two players with absolute ease, and sells one of the best step-overs I've ever seen. The other is the QPR (?) one where he wins the ball himself on the half way line and ends up almost going through two defenders before slotting with his right foot. It's the ease with which he does it that's just spectacular.

Sadly though, I know I'll never be able to 'get' Barnes the same way as people who were around to see him live. For as much as I'm able to appreciate some of the things he did, I'll never quite have the appreciation of those who saw it happen, because I know it's coming. That's the thing with only seeing clips and videos, you know you're seeing the finished article. I can't fully comprehend the speed his mind was working at, because in all these things he's making it up as he goes along. I'll never fully be able to appreciate the goal against Brazil, for example, because to me I'll always think that was his intention from the off. The reality though is that his mind was probably working at an unbelievable pace - no one sets off to beat 3 players and slot it in, that's stupidity. That goal, like Maradona's against England, probably happened in segments where he was looking for a team-mate, but the best option was just to keep on going. He's constantly adjusting to what's going on around him in that particular moment. Looking back you can never appreciate the spontaneity of it. I know, even before I see how it's done, that there's a goal coming at the end of it. It ruins the magic a little. I know what the end result is before I see how it got to that point. I would have loved to have just seen Barnes live, not knowing what exactly he was going to do. I bet for every goal that's archived, there are hundreds of little runs with the ball where he skips past 2 or 3 players and just lays the ball off to a team mate.

It's my biggest - I don't want to say regret because that would imply I had a choice in the matter - disappointment that I missed out on Barnes' first 4 seasons at Liverpool. It's clear just from watching clips that he was on a different level, but clips will never do someone like Barnes the justice he deserves. ...

*sigh*
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #84 on: January 22, 2009, 09:48:28 am »
Great post Juan. To an extent that's a bit how I feel about Kenny. I know he's the best to have played for us because everyone older than me tells me so but I never got to witness it first time around. My Dad and older brother always used to talk about Kenny but by the time they took me to games it was Barnes who was running the show.

Agree on the point that even watching great goals back doesn't have the same effect as seeing it for the first time when you don't know what's going to happen.

Offline Jason McG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: January 22, 2009, 10:04:34 am »
Unbelievable player.  If Kaka is getting bids of £100m, then Digger would have been worth half a billion at his peak.  Even when he was fat and spent the entire game in the centre circle he was still better than any player we have now.  Messi is the only player in world football who is close to how good Barnes was in 87/88/89, and I'd happily argue that in terms of raw ability he's the best player we've had at the club.

I'm going to have to dig out my old 'The John Barnes Story' video and stick it on.

I was gonna say something similar, I saw him play most of his football in the middle and he was so intelligent. With better players around him I think would have been rated a much better central midfielder.
I'm so fucking angry I'm rubbing my face!!!

Offline Papey

• Main Stander
  • When footballers were cool...
« Reply #86 on: January 22, 2009, 10:06:24 am »
Papey and Terry - those goals you mention are shown in the youtube link at the end of my first post. Enjoy!

Didn`t realise! I`ll watch them now. Memories!
I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt, not that fancy store-bought dirt... I can't compete with that stuff.

Offline JohnBarnesBigToe

• Legacy Fan
  • We decide when it's over
« Reply #87 on: January 22, 2009, 10:08:10 am »
The man was a God.

Thanks Digger   :scarf :scarf
"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques". Bill Shankly

Offline zimmie'5555

• passenger on an intergalactic spaceship... sometimes wishes he was a woman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: January 22, 2009, 10:11:06 am »
Unbelievable player.  If Kaka is getting bids of £100m, then Digger would have been worth half a billion at his peak.  Even when he was fat and spent the entire game in the centre circle he was still better than any player we have now.  Messi is the only player in world football who is close to how good Barnes was in 87/88/89, and I'd happily argue that in terms of raw ability he's the best player we've had at the club.

I'm going to have to dig out my old 'The John Barnes Story' video and stick it on.

I remember when Ravanelli came to play for Middlesbrough and made his debut against us, he said John Barnes was the best player in the Premiership. He must have been 34 and a good few stone overweight at that point too. Can't remember him ever losing the ball.

Offline staniola

• Main Stander
« Reply #89 on: January 22, 2009, 10:28:47 am »
digger was the best winger this country has ever witnessed. even better than giggs. he was the reason i fell in love with th reds. me ahl fella's a blue, but digger swayed me. i love him as much as robbie
"The treble parade would have been the most perfect moment of my footballing life, but for the two people standing behind me, clearly already plotting their next move." - Robbie Fowler

Offline Joe_Singh

• Legacy Fan
  • My idea is always to win trophies, not just games
    • Joe Singh
« Reply #90 on: January 22, 2009, 10:44:14 am »

Is that available on DVD at all?
What I love about this, and several other of Kenny's press conferences, is that he manages to say something to the effect of  'Shut the fuck up, you fucking helmets and don't fuck with me or my football club or I'll make you eat your own balls', without actually using th

Offline The Red artist.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • With hope in your heart.
« Reply #91 on: January 22, 2009, 10:48:52 am »
Top post mate, well in. What a player digger was. When he was cruisin past defenders with such composure and skill will live with me forever, its what watchin footy is all about. Players like digger are few and far between, it was a priveliage to watch him.

My favourite goal of his has to be the one against QPR at Anfield. A block tackle on the halfway line and then sprinted foward weavin in and out of their defenders, in this mood he was simply unstoppable. My second favourite is the back heel at Crew, many yrs ago now.

If anyone has seen his video 'The john Barnes story'. Well on that vid is just about the best skill i've ever witnessed on a football field. My memory isnt what it once was but it was away from home and the other team wore blue, it might have been Brighton. Well Digger is in midfield surounded by at least 3 players, he does this crazy bit of skill to weave through them.

The camera angle from behind the goal is on the ground level and behind Digger in the background is our dugout, when Digger does his magic the reaction from our bench is fantastic, John Charles Barnes it was a priveliage watchin you , what memories.
Y.N.W.A....J.F.T.96.

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: January 22, 2009, 11:05:18 am »
If anyone has seen his video 'The john Barnes story'. Well on that vid is just about the best skill i've ever witnessed on a football field. My memory isnt what it once was but it was away from home and the other team wore blue, it might have been Brighton. Well Digger is in midfield surounded by at least 3 players, he does this crazy bit of skill to weave through them.
My favourite bit on that video is when he's playing for Watford and he's stood with the ball, an oppo player comes flying in with a slide tackle that starts about 10 yards away from Digger...the player is literally flying across the ground and Barnes just puts his foot over the ball, rolls it back, the player goes sliding past and he rolls the ball back to where it was and then starts running forward.  The utter effortlessness of it blew my mind.

My favourite part of his QPR goal is when he does his slalom bit just before he puts it away....I swear he hangs in midair for a moment as he jinks from left to right.  Every single time I watch it I think that time itself has stopped at that moment.
"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains."

Offline redlikeanose

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #93 on: January 22, 2009, 11:08:55 am »
one of mi favourite player in a red shirt loved seeing im go past opposing player but the personality of a goat

Offline Peeker

• Blames Rafa for fucking up Johnson deal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Simply Magnificent
« Reply #94 on: January 22, 2009, 11:09:52 am »
Best Liverpool player ive seen live.

My most vivid memory of Digger was against Man Utd in 1988. We won 1-0 with a Molby penalty.

Barnes was tightly marked from the start by Englands right back at the time Viv Anderson. I swear to god i have never seen anybody rip apart a defender as much as Barnesy did to Anderson that day... at any level. Every time he got the ball he fucking skinned him. After about 30 minutes Fergie put Bryan Robson (England captain and magnificent player) man marking Barnesy as well as Viv Anderson...Didnt make any difference. Digger ripped them both apart.

Absolutely fucking brilliant player.

Offline T-Bone

• Kopite
  • Oh, it's got cachet, baby!
« Reply #95 on: January 22, 2009, 11:21:22 am »
Fantastic player and perhaps the best I've ever seen play for Liverpool.

Offline Upanishad

• Change is good
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • hi
« Reply #96 on: January 22, 2009, 12:08:40 pm »
My favourite player of all time.

A legend, genius, a joy to watch.
Voyager-1 is on course to approach a star called AC +793888, but it will only get to within two light-years of it and it will be tens of thousands of years before it does so.

Offline Rafas Tapas

• Main Stander
  • This here is our bread and butter...
« Reply #97 on: January 22, 2009, 12:11:55 pm »
He would have excelled at most sports.  I remember hearing the story of how some of the golf-playing lads took Digger for a round after training one day.  Digger had never played golf in his life but when he was handed a driver on the first tee he stepped up and smacked a huge drive right down the middle. 

He also featured, I think on The Saint and Greavesie, when he was still at Watford and he went to Eton to play the Wall Game - the one where the ball is stuck in a ruck in the middle of a huge pitch and there is a goal once every hundred years.  Well Digger was lurking by the side of the scrum when the ball suddenly popped out, and he wellied it first time, left footed, at the "goal" - a tiny gate in a wall about 100 yards away.  It hit the post - bugger.

Offline HeWonItFromBrock

• Main Stander
« Reply #98 on: January 22, 2009, 12:35:32 pm »
Couldn't agree more with what's been said in this excellent thread. Like Fowler you can divide his career into before and after serious injury. My first game in the Kop with my mates was QPR 4-1 in the 87/88 season and he was like a footballing God. His individual ability was something we had not really had in the 80's with the team functioning like a well drilled unit (Red Machine) and you could feel the buzz around the ground whenever he got the ball.

One goal which hasn't been mentioned was his header against Villa in the FA Cup in a 2-0 win (1988?) where it was slightly behind him but he managed to readjust his body to power in a diving header which I swear curled into the far corner.

Absolute genuis and a proper LFC legend

Offline SmallwoodRed

• Kopite
  • remember april 1989
« Reply #99 on: January 22, 2009, 12:45:55 pm »
My favourite player of all time.

A legend, genius, a joy to watch.
Heres a few other moments that are not as well remembered but worth a mention. Anyone recall:

-   Man City away in the cup 1988 in the mud? He ripped City apart on an appalling surface. The forty yard run for the 3rd goal.
-   His backward header against Villa in the Cup in 1988 as well – crossed from the right behind him and somehow he got his neck back and round it and knocked it back into the far corner.
-   His pass to Macmahon for the first goal in the Mersey derby in 1987 – took it on his  chest sideways in his own half facing the touchline and hit this awesome disguised pass at a right angle to his body with his left foot straight through the everton back four.
-   Spurs at home in the league 1990 – high ball in from deep to Barnes on the edge of the box – its going like a train at him but he just jumps in the air, takes it on his chest, and in one movement before it can drop he volleys it with his right foot – shame the keeper tipped it over really as we would be seeing it all the time as one of the best goals ever.
-   Brentford home in the cup 1989 – very similar to the goal against QPR from the half way line

See if you can find those on utube.

Offline DuncMcD

• Main Stander
« Reply #100 on: January 22, 2009, 12:54:03 pm »

-   His backward header against Villa in the Cup in 1988 as well – crossed from the right behind him and somehow he got his neck back and round it and knocked it back into the far corner.

Remember that one well. Digger was receiving rave reviews from all quarters before that game (Rightly so) but Graham Taylor, who was his manager at Watford (but I think was then in charge of Villa?) said something along the lines of "Yeah, he's a great player, but he can't head the ball..."

Cue superb headed goal from Barnes!

Offline itsgunnabebarnes!

• Neghead. hard and gagging. Will never be Barnes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: January 22, 2009, 01:15:12 pm »
That's the goal I always think of. I was there and there were only a couple of minutes left, with the score at 1-1.
It has the Martin Tyler commentary: "Oh my word! What can you do about that? Absolutely nothing!".

The most exhilarating player I've ever seen for poise and athleticism.
Great team player - nine times out of ten he would look for the easy ball - but when he set off.....
And as for free kicks, well, he hit these four in our last Championship season.

the goal against arsenal at home in 89  in the photo was my first game. i was right behind it hence my username.

One bit of skill that season that stuck in my mind is the following. I think its was live on itvs the match. we played spurs and we had a freekick. the ball came in just slightly outside the box. he soared into the air, chested the ball while in the air and on the turn still in the air he volleyed it right footed straight at the top corner. their keeper (the norwiegen) saved it brilliantly.
'Tramps like us, baby we were born to run!'

Offline yafoy

• lazy git - sabu pundit on pot
  • Legacy Fan
  • a RED who occupies Europe
    • EuRED Liverpool UNofficial Supporters Network
« Reply #102 on: January 22, 2009, 01:18:29 pm »
Barnes had it in terms of skill ...possibly our best, though Kenny in application & affect on the team, Rushie with Goals, Sounes in midfield domination, Emlyns energy & Clems reliability all equally as important in my book in brining RED supremacy...may SG & co rise to the same heights THIS season!

YNWA/J4t96
Shanks: "Some people believe football is a matter of life and  death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that. - At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it"

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: January 22, 2009, 01:46:39 pm »
I just feel lucky to be the age I am and having supported Liverpool throughout those days and got to see the legendary teams we had.  Barnes was an unbelievable talent.  Forget comparing him to players of other positions.....at left wing...I cannot think of anyone better.

Ronaldo scored a shedload last season, but played a lot as a striker/ 2nd striker.  Not taking anything away from his achievement but Barnes put in his displays and goals as an out and out left winger.  Absolutely incredible.

Offline Fairytale of 2005

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: January 22, 2009, 02:04:59 pm »
I'm in my mid 30's & John Barnes is easily the best English player I've ever seen.

Offline monkeyharris

• Best Monkey In Show
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: January 22, 2009, 02:29:49 pm »
hopefully my memory is not playing tricks on me but didn't he score an absolute pearler against us in 85 - just before heysel - we played Watford at Anfield on a Friday night for some strange reason? i remember Kenny also scored a beauty when he drifted in from the  right dribbling through a few then curling one in - almost a direct copy of that goal he scored for Scotland

That QPR goal - we all got locked out of the kop for the crime of getting into the queue about 1230 for the 3 o'clock kick off! - went back to the car and listened to the first 3/4 of the game on the radio before decided to head back to get in when they opened the exit gates 20 mins before the end - literally the moment they did that and we raced up the stairs at the side was the moment he picked up the ball and statred to run towards the goal - sweet timing...
+6 ticket exchange

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #106 on: January 22, 2009, 02:39:22 pm »
He made me somewhat miserable as a child. My cousin was probably the first person who really got me into football when I was a youngster, and he's 5/6 years older than I am, and he absolutely loved John Barnes. I always felt as though I was missing something out as a kid because wingers were my favourite players. I absolutely loved McManaman, he was my favourite player. I also loved watching Ginola, Kinkladze and for my sins, Kanchelskis and Giggs. Those wonderfully direct wingers who could beat a man (or three) with ease. When I went on and on about these players I was always greeted with the same old "John Barnes was better" - it stung. My abiding memory of John Barnes is the double one-two with Rush, the "Collymore closing in..." moment. It took me another 10 years to find out that this wasn't even Barnes' definitive "double one-two".

By the time I finally got around to seeing the 'real' John Barnes I'd already been told enough to know that he was on a different level to my boyhood heroes. I've seen most of the famous Barnes moments through things like Youtube now, and it's easy to see why he was so loved. Two of my favourite Liverpool goals are from Barnes. The Brentford (I think?) one where he gets the ball on the half way line and goes past two players with absolute ease, and sells one of the best step-overs I've ever seen. The other is the QPR (?) one where he wins the ball himself on the half way line and ends up almost going through two defenders before slotting with his right foot. It's the ease with which he does it that's just spectacular.

Sadly though, I know I'll never be able to 'get' Barnes the same way as people who were around to see him live. For as much as I'm able to appreciate some of the things he did, I'll never quite have the appreciation of those who saw it happen, because I know it's coming. That's the thing with only seeing clips and videos, you know you're seeing the finished article. I can't fully comprehend the speed his mind was working at, because in all these things he's making it up as he goes along. I'll never fully be able to appreciate the goal against Brazil, for example, because to me I'll always think that was his intention from the off. The reality though is that his mind was probably working at an unbelievable pace - no one sets off to beat 3 players and slot it in, that's stupidity. That goal, like Maradona's against England, probably happened in segments where he was looking for a team-mate, but the best option was just to keep on going. He's constantly adjusting to what's going on around him in that particular moment. Looking back you can never appreciate the spontaneity of it. I know, even before I see how it's done, that there's a goal coming at the end of it. It ruins the magic a little. I know what the end result is before I see how it got to that point. I would have loved to have just seen Barnes live, not knowing what exactly he was going to do. I bet for every goal that's archived, there are hundreds of little runs with the ball where he skips past 2 or 3 players and just lays the ball off to a team mate.

It's my biggest - I don't want to say regret because that would imply I had a choice in the matter - disappointment that I missed out on Barnes' first 4 seasons at Liverpool. It's clear just from watching clips that he was on a different level, but clips will never do someone like Barnes the justice he deserves. ...

*sigh*

Even though I'm just about old enough to have see John Barnes play I understand what you mean. It's the same for me looking at players from the 60's and 70's. Think everyone has said everything I was going to say about Digger. I think part of the reason people love John Barnes and look back at him so fondly was the excitement factor he brought. This was an excitement factor not to a team who was starved of success, but to a team who had ruled both domestically and in Europe during that decade. John stood head and shoulders above all others in a team who literally blew away the opposition with some of the best attacking football you are likely to see.

Since Barnes, as a signing, only Torres comes remotely close in terms of impact on the club. In my opinion only Gerrard in the last 20 years comes remotely close to Digger in comparison as a player. Maybe Torres can be compared to him in 4-5 years if he can prove himself to be continually one of the very best players in the league. Because make no mistake John Barnes wasn't just one of the best players in the league for 4 or 5 seasons, he was undoubtedly THE best player in the league for 4-5 seasons.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline whtwht

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: January 22, 2009, 03:02:21 pm »
One goal which hasn't been mentioned was his header against Villa in the FA Cup in a 2-0 win (1988?) where it was slightly behind him but he managed to readjust his body to power in a diving header which I swear curled into the far corner.

A lovely header and IT DID curl into the corner lol !!  - Remember the Saint and Greavsie Show on Saturdays . That goal was used in the intro to that show

Plus one blinding bit of skill vs MAN utd at Old trafford  lingers in my head  - deep near the corner flag  - I think David Speedie was in the team at the time - Can anyone else remember it ??
He'll win the league in the next 3 years. Quote me on that.
Quote me on this, but come next season he'll be great for us. Just needs to remove the walking headless chicken next to him

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #108 on: January 22, 2009, 03:20:27 pm »
Plus one blinding bit of skill vs MAN utd at Old trafford  lingers in my head  - deep near the corner flag  - I think David Speedie was in the team at the time - Can anyone else remember it ??

Yeah, that one was described somewhere above. Can't remember the exact bit of skill but beat about 3 men I think before standing up a teasing cross that the keeper (Sealy?) could only flap into the path of Speedie to volley home on his debut. Follwed up by 2 on his home debut against Everton in the next game, complete with celebrting in front of the bitters "because he didn't know the layout of Anfield"!

Offline whtwht

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: January 22, 2009, 03:47:16 pm »
Yeah, that one was described somewhere above. Can't remember the exact bit of skill but beat about 3 men I think before standing up a teasing cross that the keeper (Sealy?) could only flap into the path of Speedie to volley home on his debut. Follwed up by 2 on his home debut against Everton in the next game, complete with celebrting in front of the bitters "because he didn't know the layout of Anfield"!

yes thats it!! wonder if anyone has that on vid ?? We shouldve won that game although Mancs played alot better 2nd half.
I also remember going to highbury with my Arsenal loving cousin  for my first  evening game Barnes scored the equalizer after Merson put them in front i was sar in the corner adjacent to the Liverpool supporters !

Waht surprised me was Burrows pace down the flank ! :o

no end product tho :-\
He'll win the league in the next 3 years. Quote me on that.
Quote me on this, but come next season he'll be great for us. Just needs to remove the walking headless chicken next to him

Offline Walk On

• Legacy Fan
  • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart ...
« Reply #110 on: January 22, 2009, 03:51:38 pm »
Can't say more than anything that hasn't already been said... he is a absolute legend.

I grew up watching the team of the 80's and 90's and he was my favourite player.  Mostly because of that left peg of his... he could really hit them as sweetly as they come... and I for some obscure reason am naturally left-footed. ;)

I never had the chance to watch him play but what I saw on the telly was pure magic.  Really deserved to be playing in Europe with the best of them but alas...

- Rebuilding the Bastion

Offline Greg

• RAWK Statto
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • http://www.twitter.com/@paintbox_
« Reply #111 on: January 22, 2009, 04:17:32 pm »
I read these forums all the time and never post, but for John Barnes, I have to! Anybody remember a goal he scored at the kop end against Villa? He cut in from the left and put so much bend on it! Nigel Spink said it was the best goal he`d ever conceded. I also remember numerous players at the time all saying how amazing he was in training, how he literally never lost possession. I even sent him a letter as a kid begging him not to leave Liverpool (it had been in the Mirror that Monaco were gonna bid for him in the summer) I fuckin` love John Barnes

I loved that goal, remember the Kop going mad.

That's something I miss these days. Somebody who can do something fucking magical like that. It's a bit unfair on the players we have now, I just loved John Barnes.

Offline It's Jimmy Corkhill

• No more scrapping in Page Moss. Marxist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta La Victoria Siempre....
« Reply #112 on: January 22, 2009, 04:35:19 pm »
Yeah, that one was described somewhere above. Can't remember the exact bit of skill but beat about 3 men I think before standing up a teasing cross that the keeper (Sealy?) could only flap into the path of Speedie to volley home on his debut.

Superb that was, Stretford end penalty area. He was running to the byline, kind of spun, ended up facing our goal and then doubled back, all with the ball seemingly attached to his foot, got to the touchline and the ball took the piss.

I'd love to see that again. May be totally wrong like, years of hard-living has wrecked my memory. And Digger has so many magic moments
"I'm a people man. Only the people matter".
-Bill Shankly.

Offline the_cote_kid

• Main Stander
« Reply #113 on: January 22, 2009, 04:41:07 pm »

My favourite has to be the free kick against Pompey, the moment of agony when it hit the woodwork, followed by the ecstasy when Ronnie scored.

The reaction to that goal was amazing, anyone got a link to it?

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #114 on: January 22, 2009, 04:42:05 pm »
Just thought of another great memory of Barnes against United - burying a header in front of the Anny Road to put us 3-0 before half time. It was the game Beardsley scored a hat-trick, think it was September 91?He seemed to hang in the air like Pele's header in the World Cup final. I could be talking bollocks though! Not seen the goal since I saw it at the ground so probably improved over the numerous replays in my mind. Can just remember the guy sat next to me looking to the Heavens and shouting "Thank you God"! Made me realise how great it felt to beat the Mancs.

Offline Greg

• RAWK Statto
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • http://www.twitter.com/@paintbox_
« Reply #115 on: January 22, 2009, 05:10:12 pm »

In the North bank for that (or whatever end it was).

I can honestly say, I've never seen a goal celebrated so much. Fucking brilliant. One of those where you end up on the other side of the terrace.

Offline RedHandGang

• Kopite
« Reply #116 on: January 22, 2009, 05:20:34 pm »
Easily the best around in his position during that period. In fact I think you would have to think long and hard to find players coming even close in the same era who were as consistenly good. The man was and and still is a legend. Some parlallels here with Gerrard about club and country form, but that just makes him even more of a legend.

Top bloke too and as Kenny is the King, Digger has to be the Prince, and Souness the tyrant.  ;)
"One defends when his strength is inadaquate, he attacks when it is abundant."

Offline Trousers

• All Mouth And...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: January 22, 2009, 05:45:39 pm »
Anyone remember his goal against Norwich City in the cup replay at Anfield.
I shit you not a diving header from almost 20 yards a foot off the ground.

There's not been a player on these shores since that would try it never mind execute it perfectly.

Offline Trousers

• All Mouth And...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: January 22, 2009, 05:47:05 pm »

Oh yes.
The North Bank was indeed the place to be when that went in.

Offline redchiz

• No income tax, no VAT
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Reds are coming up the hill, boys...
« Reply #119 on: January 22, 2009, 06:49:49 pm »
Top bloke too and as Kenny is the King, Digger has to be the Prince, and Souness the tyrant.  ;)

And Beardsley is the Ugly Sister?  :-X
"Rise like Lions after slumber
In unvanquishable number,
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you -
Ye are many - they are few." Percy Bysshe Shelley