Author Topic: Jermaine Pennant  (Read 72871 times)

Offline Hoppy

• Wino
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Attack Attack Attack
Re: Jermaine Pennant
« Reply #120 on: November 13, 2008, 12:36:34 pm »
a number of people will do well to 'step away' from the forums and actually form an opinion from watching these guys in action.

That aint gonna happen anytime soon though is it unfortunately.......
In for a week, Out for a month....Duncan is a Tampon!

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #121 on: November 13, 2008, 12:44:51 pm »
You talk a lot of sense, and a number of people will do well to 'step away' from the forums and actually form an opinion from watching these guys in action.

I think one of the key issues is the line in bold.  I don't mind a bit of rotation to keep key players fresh, but I think the likes of Pennant, Cisse, Bellamy etc have all suffered here from a severe lack of a decent run of games, as all three of them (and others) have shown what they can do when they're regularly selected in a side.  Not saying they were the right players for us, or even good enough - but the fact remains their worse football has been during their time here.

In my opinion the only type of players who benefit from something along the lines of one game every 4 or 5, are promising youngsters who gain from the experience.

I agree, players do tend to find it hard being in and out of the side so much, i think its mainly because when you are there isnt as much ground for progression. Its tough to play a good game then do it again about 4 or 5 games later rather than being able to play a good game then push on from it with the next game the team has.

I do wonder what could have been had he not got that injury, he was in fantastic form then it just stopped him in his tracks. It was good seeing him in such confident spirits back then, he was great.

Offline elnino

• Kemlynite
« Reply #122 on: November 13, 2008, 01:52:13 pm »
Pennant aint good enough, poor attitude too often when he does get a chance. Get rid in January i say.

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #123 on: November 13, 2008, 01:56:19 pm »
Pennant aint good enough, poor attitude too often when he does get a chance. Get rid in January i say.

what is poor attitude?
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #124 on: November 13, 2008, 02:44:50 pm »
what is poor attitude?

Err, befriending a bellend like Ashley Cole?

Offline Sweeper

• Give a little whistle
  • Kopite
  • Lifelong Rafa Supporter
« Reply #125 on: November 13, 2008, 05:38:59 pm »
Anyone who knows what happened at the MTV awards last week will know why he wasn't in the squad last night. Yet another player who's life outside the game is more important to him than playing.

Lots of crap going on in his life and he can't (or won't) knuckle down.
Cut the Cancer from our club NOW!  Thank you Rafa for your class, dignity, humility...and for being one of us!

Offline marko35s

• Kopite
« Reply #126 on: November 13, 2008, 05:44:32 pm »
Anyone who knows what happened at the MTV awards last week will know why he wasn't in the squad last night. Yet another player who's life outside the game is more important to him than playing.

All nighter?

Offline Rotation

• fuck u. Rory's biggest fan.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pepe Reina is a Scouser...
« Reply #127 on: November 13, 2008, 05:55:25 pm »

What went on at said awards...
ynwa

Offline new-red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: November 13, 2008, 06:02:12 pm »
I think pennant is one of the players that doesn't have an attitude or mentality that rafa talks about so much. he very rarely gets stuck in for the team and its shows in his play. We don't need him at the club anymore because El zhar has taken his role and in my opinion is better than him.
http://redsacrossthepond.blogspot.com/

My LFC blog. If you read it, please leave me any feedback regardless of whether it is critical or complimentary.

Offline balticred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: November 13, 2008, 06:25:16 pm »
Not sure what happened at awards and actually I think Pennant has done his best to "fit-in" and played a few really good games

A few years back he maybe would have had more of a chance but if we want to really challenge he is not the answer

Should have left in the summer - could become a real favourite at somewhere like Stoke, no way back here

Offline MagicB8all

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh
« Reply #130 on: November 13, 2008, 06:45:24 pm »
Not sure what happened at awards and actually I think Pennant has done his best to "fit-in" and played a few really good games

A few years back he maybe would have had more of a chance but if we want to really challenge he is not the answer

Should have left in the summer - could become a real favourite at somewhere like Stoke, no way back here
sadly I think thats true,  but he has a good attitude (despite what people say) he's asked to play for the reserves to keep fit - he's desperate to make it here. Sadly he's not good enough, but he's hardly been the cause of trouble as some expected
Goodbye & thank you Rafa. You've given us more than we ever had a right to expect from you and you stayed loyal and fought for us even when some of our own turned on you. I truly hope that you find somewhere with the support that you deserve & win everything in sight.

Offline LFCfan4Life

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: November 13, 2008, 06:49:38 pm »

well rather than hint why not just tell everyone?

or is it that he just went to them had a good time, meet some friends, mingled with some stars, celebrating getting engaged to his gf? hang the bastard i say!!!

fuck sake they are allowed a life,  btw el zhar will be shipped on

Two bulls, one old and one young, standing at the top of a field watching a herd of cows. The young one says, "hey let's run down and fuck one of them", and the older one says, "patience, let's walk down and fuck them all".

JUSTICE 4 THE 96.

Offline litliper

• Legacy Fan
  • Does anybody wanna buy a country?
« Reply #132 on: November 14, 2008, 02:37:02 am »
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/liverpool/article5151357.ece

Jermaine Pennant set for January Anfield exit
James Ducker

Jermaine Pennant's career at Liverpool finally appears to be drawing to a close, with the club eager to offload him in January. The 25-year-old was left out of Liverpool's squad for the Carling Cup fourth-round defeat away to Tottenham Hotspur on Wednesday evening and his stock has plummeted to such an extent at Anfield that there seems to be little chance of the winger forcing his way back into Rafael Benítez's first-team plans.

The Liverpool manager is thought to be unhappy with Pennant's lifestyle and timekeeping and had hoped to sell him in the summer, only for the player's wage demands to scupper moves to Stoke City or Blackburn Rovers. Having informed Pennant that his chances would be limited this season, Benítez was understood to be dismayed that the player chose to stay at Anfield rather than pursue regular first-team football elsewhere.

Benítez's suggestion that Pennant might find his opportunities restricted has been borne out by the player having started only two Barclays Premier League matches this season, at home to Wigan Athletic and Portsmouth last month. He has played only 247 minutes in total. Paul Ince, the Blackburn manager, is in the market for a right winger and would take Pennant at the right price, and his counterpart at Stoke, Tony Pulis, is keen to add pace to his team. Liverpool will almost certainly have to take a substantial loss on a player who cost them £6.7 million when he signed from Birmingham City in July 2006.

Liverpool are Pennant's sixth club, taking into account loan moves, and his surprise transfer to Anfield was widely viewed as being his last chance to make it at a top club. After playing in more than 40 matches in his first season at the club, Pennant, who has been no stranger to controversy during his career, has gradually fallen out of favour.
Related Links

* Benítez angers Liverpool owners yet again

* Fears over Liverpool fire sale

* Benitez retains his focus

Benítez's switch to a 4-2-3-1 formation, with Dirk Kuyt used predominantly on the right of the three behind a lone striker, has significantly curtailed Pennant's involvement and even when he has played of late, his impact has been limited. The manager's decision to omit Pennant from his squad for the 4-2 defeat by Tottenham on Wednesday will be widely perceived as the final snub.

The result was a bitter blow to Benítez, who has turned his attention to the league game away to Bolton Wanderers on Saturday. He must decide whether to start with Fernando Torres after the Spain striker made his first start since October 5 having recovered from a hamstring injury.

Contrary to earlier reports, Tom Hicks and George Gillett Jr, the club's co-owners, were happy for Benítez to make public their intention to discuss an extension to his contract. Preliminary discussions between the club and Benítez's agent, Manuel García Quilón, are expected to start shortly, with the manager having been given permission to announce their plans.
"My country is the world, and my religion to do good." (Thomas Paine)

Offline Red Cez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stop Fucking Moaning!!!!
« Reply #133 on: November 14, 2008, 02:59:56 am »
Pennant was brought into the club to attack opposition fullbacks and provide quality service for our forwards and has failed on both counts.

Riera has shown all of us what we have been missing and whether El Zhar is a better player than Pennant or not is irrelevant as El Zhar has at least shown courage and commitment enough to provide a constant, if so far erratic, threat to opposition fullbacks.

Pennant has, contrary to what some have stated on here, had many opportunities in our starting eleven as well as from the bench and, aside from the odd flash, has been disappointing both in terms of ability as well as desire.

El Zhar on the other hand has relished his opportunities and, as shown by the goal against Pompey last season as well as his slaloming dribble attempts in his games this season, is completely unafraid of expressing himself in a Red shirt.

That kind of sheer guts and belief in his own ability to cut it at a top club like ours shows that El Zhar at the very least has the mentality to succeed at LFC although his technical ability and in-game intelligence has yet to be proven.

Is El Zhar the answer on the right? Time will tell.

Is Pennant the answer? I think not.
Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.

Oscar Wilde

Offline Cocacola_Red

• Main Stander
  • Mr Suarez Is Not A Racist!
« Reply #134 on: November 14, 2008, 03:19:18 am »
I am very suprise to hear from Torres that he think Pennant can help him as a right wing, how many times he played with him this season?

Fernando Torres believes the arrival of 'real winger' Albert Riera could help him beat the 33 goals he scored last season. 
A hamstring tear has restricted Torres to just four starts with his countryman so far, but the striker has already seen enough to predict Riera will have a big impact at Anfield.

"He's a different player to what we've had because he is a real winger," El Nino told the official LFC Magazine.

"On the right we have Jermaine Pennant and now on the left we have Albert.

"He is capable of going on the outside or coming inside. He can dribble and cross - he is a complete player. He is really important to the team already.

"As a striker, it is great to have someone who can cross the ball so well.

"Having him in the team should create more space for the other forwards because defenders need to watch Albert. That should help the rest of us get more opportunities." 

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: November 14, 2008, 08:38:57 am »
Looks like he's off in January then.
I'd be extremely surprised if we didn't try to do some sort of swap + cash deal with Wigan for Antonio Valencia.
He would be a real good signing for us.

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: November 14, 2008, 09:40:08 am »
Looks like he's off in January then.
I'd be extremely surprised if we didn't try to do some sort of swap + cash deal with Wigan for Antonio Valencia.
He would be a real good signing for us.

Love to have him playing for us, very underrated player

Offline Mr.Red

• meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh......meh
  • No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #137 on: November 14, 2008, 09:44:08 am »
If I were Rafa I'd offer him + 2-3 millions bid in exchange with Wigan's Valencia.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: November 14, 2008, 09:48:25 am »
We don't have 2-3 million, though.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: November 14, 2008, 09:59:37 am »
We don't have 2-3 million, though.

We'll get hom on strap

Offline Dam Sodd

• Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #140 on: November 14, 2008, 10:16:44 am »

If Pennant had half of Kuyt's effort and mentality he'd have binned Beckham from the England squad ages ago. If Kuyt had half Pennants skill he'd be up there with Messi. Reckon we should put them both in a cage dim the lights and see what happens. Shit looks like Dirk's rumbled my cruel medical experiment..

"WAAT..not the vaseline and the James Ingram Lps!"

Cool down and play

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: November 14, 2008, 10:24:17 am »
Read yesterday that Simao is wanting out of Atletico Madrid.  Personally i would prefer Pennant.

Offline minusone

• considered rubbish
  • Legacy Fan
  • Resurrection 2.0
« Reply #142 on: November 14, 2008, 10:30:02 am »
If you read it, it must be true.
Fired?? He should be shot! With shit, human shit!

Online .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: November 14, 2008, 10:34:29 am »
Where d'ya read that?

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Legacy Fan

Offline suede lady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: November 14, 2008, 10:41:09 am »
that newspaper is a load of crap. look at the related articles and i tbecomes quite clear.

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: November 14, 2008, 10:43:47 am »
What newspaper?

Offline i_wun_bite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: November 14, 2008, 12:33:55 pm »
Jermaine Pennant’s Anfield future is in doubt
Nov 14 2008 by Ian Doyle, Liverpool Daily Post

JERMAINE PENNANT’S Liverpool future is under fresh doubt after the winger was left out of the Carling Cup defeat to Tottenham Hotspur.

But the Anfield outfit run the risk of the winger walking away for nothing at the end of the season if they fail to offload him during the January transfer window.

After starting Liverpool’s previous two home Premier League games, Pennant failed to make the squad for the weekend Anfield win against West Bromwich Albion and was again absent from the 18-man party on Wednesday.

It is believed the absence at White Hart Lane of Pennant, who appeared in the win over Crewe Alexandra in the previous round, was due to disciplinary reasons.

Pennant was told by Rafael Benitez earlier this season that he would not be frozen out despite Liverpool actively seeking to sell the player during the summer.

The winger turned down the chance of a £5million move to Stoke City and came close to joining Blackburn Rovers on transfer deadline day.

Recent events are likely to accelerate Pennant’s departure, with Wigan Athletic tracking the player along with Bolton Wanderers, who were yesterday linked with a possible £3.5m bid in the New Year.

However, the situation is complicated by the contract Pennant agreed when signing from Birmingham City for £6.7m in July 2006.

That deal will expire in the summer unless Pennant plays a specified number of games this season. Should he reach that target – thought to be around 15 – it will automatically invoke a one-year contract extension.

But if Pennant, who has played only four times so far this campaign, falls short of the required total of appearances – the likelihood of which has increased with Liverpool’s Carling Cup exit – then he would walk away for nothing in June.

Meanwhile, Daniel Agger admits Benitez’s side will win nothing this season if they don’t improve on their woeful showing at Tottenham.

Liverpool conceded three goals in seven minutes before half-time before eventually slumping to a 4-2 defeat.

And Agger, the only survivor at White Hart Lane from the team that started the 3-0 win against West Brom five days earlier, reckons the Anfield outfit must banish the game from their memory banks ahead of tomorrow’s tricky trip to Bolton Wanderers.

“If you see the goals it was the same problem every time and they speak for themselves,” said the Denmark international. “We conceded four bad goals and you cannot expect to do that and still get anything out of a game.

“We improved in the second half but we knew it could only go one way as we couldn’t play as badly as we did in the first half.

“Right now it’s difficult to take any positives at all. That just wasn’t good enough. We have to do better than this otherwise we won’t achieve anything this season.

“The mood wasn’t the best in the squad after the game but we have to put this behind us quickly. Bolton are a strong, physical team and it’s another difficult game for us. We can’t perform like this on Saturday because if we do then we will lose.”

Agger refused to entertain the notion that the Carling Cup was a mere distraction for Liverpool, given their progress in the Premier League and Champions League this season.

“For some players this is a very important competition,” he said. “We have a big squad and the more games we can have the better it is for us. Not going any further than the fourth round this season is very annoying.”

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2008/11/14/jermaine-pennant-s-anfield-future-is-in-doubt-64375-22254535/

Offline quasimodo

• Kopite
« Reply #148 on: November 14, 2008, 12:40:53 pm »
Pennant has done okay in a few games especially as sub but this is what happens when you buy third choice players to try and save money. They're ultimately not good enough and you end up giving them away so actually waste money.

Either buy first choices or just give the youngsters a game.

Offline fowlerisgod96

• Legacy Fan
  • The Monster Masch
« Reply #149 on: November 14, 2008, 12:43:32 pm »
Either buy first choices or just give the youngsters a game.

The whole point is that we couldnt afford first choice.
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.

Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us."

Offline Regi

• mental
  • Legacy Fan
  • We're caught in a Trap
« Reply #150 on: November 14, 2008, 01:09:08 pm »
Read yesterday that Simao is wanting out of Atletico Madrid.  Personally i would prefer Pennant.

Pennant ahead of Simao?

Fuck there's not much to say there
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come
Lester Freamon

Offline IOMRed

• Kopite
  • We all dream of a team of Carraghers
« Reply #151 on: November 14, 2008, 01:30:52 pm »
One of Rafa's more bizarre signings when you think how much importance he puts on team ethic, attitude etc. Never rated Pennant and not seen anything to ever suggest he is of the quality we need. Fair enough, he's kept himself out of trouble (I think) but I for one will not be too upset when he goes.
Fernando Torres, Liverpool's no. 9. His armband proved he was a red, Torres, Torres, you'll never walk alone it said, Torres, Torres, we bought the lad from sunny Spain, he gets the ball and scores again, Fernando Torres, Liverpool's no. 9.

Offline joe fitz red

• Kopite
  • Cometh the hour, Cometh the Steve
    • www.facebook.com/weplay
« Reply #152 on: November 14, 2008, 01:35:29 pm »
Pennant ahead of Simao?

Fuck there's not much to say there

simao's not very good either to be fair

Offline dane

• Kopite
« Reply #153 on: November 14, 2008, 01:53:24 pm »

If you mean that you 'would prefer Pennant' (to leave his current club) rather than Simao then I agree.

If you mean that you 'would prefer Pennant' at Liverpool over Simao... nurse!

Offline firebrand

• Anny Roader
« Reply #154 on: November 14, 2008, 01:56:06 pm »
Unless Rafa is ready to sign another association trained or promote someone from the academy i don't see him going so soon as  we have the small matter of Euro cup registration
Dave Whelan is the comedian of the north west!!!!

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: November 14, 2008, 02:04:45 pm »
simao's not very good either to be fair

Are we thinking of the same Simao ?  Portuguese dude, plays for Atletico ?
He's quality
love him to sign for us

Offline LFCfan4Life

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: November 14, 2008, 02:04:56 pm »
fuck sake play him 15 times and ship him off for cash in the summer

i cant see him being sold for more than a button in january because we are freezing him out and other clubs will think no worries we will grab him in the summer for nothing why pay now.

If you mean that you 'would prefer Pennant' at Liverpool over Simao... nurse!

thinking about it more he would be just as much a hit or miss as JP ive seen him play a few good games but a few poor ones too over the years

and would cost a lot more than £6.7m
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 02:22:57 pm by LFCfan4Life »
Two bulls, one old and one young, standing at the top of a field watching a herd of cows. The young one says, "hey let's run down and fuck one of them", and the older one says, "patience, let's walk down and fuck them all".

JUSTICE 4 THE 96.

Offline Madigano

• Kopite
« Reply #157 on: November 14, 2008, 02:57:20 pm »
Rafa has just been on SSN saying JP has a good attitude and is a good lad, more or less said he will probely be sold in january as there is a couple of teams after him.

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #158 on: November 14, 2008, 03:04:12 pm »
Rafa has just been on SSN saying JP has a good attitude and is a good lad, more or less said he will probely be sold in january as there is a couple of teams after him.

He's not going to say otherwise. After all, he wants to offload him. Rafa knows that the teams that will come calling are at a limit, so he has to throw some kind of bait. There's no doubt in my mind that he thinks Pennant's mentality isn't up to scratch.

Offline harrytrow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: November 14, 2008, 03:04:31 pm »
good attitude and a good lad, honest guvenor, an that'll be £4m to you mate, how would you like to pay
How come pointed questions recieve blunt answers