Author Topic: Harry Kewell  (Read 90974 times)

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
Re: Harry Kewell
« Reply #400 on: July 25, 2015, 04:53:22 pm »
It's official:  Kewell will coach Watford 's U-21s this season.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11686/9922504/harry-kewell-joins-watford-as-coach
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #401 on: July 25, 2015, 04:55:44 pm »
That ankle injury he got when he came on at half time to rescue a freaking Carling Cup match against Bolton (why, Houllier, why!) was the point at which he basically became a shell of the player he formerly was. That was around halfway through his first season and he'd been terrific up to that point. When he came back from that injury, he'd lost a huge amount of pace, it was ridiculous. Was still extremely talented with his reduced mobility - I mean, Rafa played him basically always when he was fit, and Rafa never had much room for luxury players - but never again would you see him running at defenders at full hilt. Bit similar to the Torres situation and the 2010 World Cup, honestly.

You look back at the medical department during those times as well, doesn't exactly fill you with confidence that the players had the best rehab possible. If we could have given him that, who knows, Kewell might have had a longer period at his best.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #402 on: July 28, 2015, 05:09:53 am »
You look back at the medical department during those times as well, doesn't exactly fill you with confidence that the players had the best rehab possible. If we could have given him that, who knows, Kewell might have had a longer period at his best.

They royal fucked him over. Diagnosing blood poisoning from blister as gout another example.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #403 on: July 28, 2015, 06:23:48 am »
The Kewell were looking for was the one who marauded for Leeds all the way to Europe. And as already mentioned players seem to get crocked more frequently when they make the move to the team.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #404 on: August 13, 2015, 08:15:17 am »
Just read his interview on coaching the Watford U21s. Interesting stuff, wish him all the best.
Tubby thinks PGMOL are awesome..

And tubby is always right

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #405 on: August 19, 2015, 07:27:42 pm »
Was proper happy when we signed him, remember Rushie or Hansen saying we'd nabbed ourselves a new Ray Kennedy which only added to that excitement. We completely mismanaged him from the off though, he'd come off a season with Leeds where they'd played him when he should have been nowhere near the pitch and Houlier really ignored that from the off. I won't place it all on Ged, the medical department was well behind the standards Arsenal were setting at the time but the club as a whole could have handled it better. Harry used to get a tonne of shit for being a sicknote even though I'd argue he had a higher pain threshold than some of our more recent favourites, he was just royally bollocks'd.

If Kewell wasn't fucked by the time Rafa took over I'd have loved to have seen what we as a team could've done with him alongside Xabi, Masch and Stevie.

Wish him well at Watford, was an intelligent player as well as super talented so you hope he can have a positive affect whoever he coaches.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #406 on: August 19, 2015, 10:49:13 pm »
My mate has been doing his a licence with him, says he's a lovely bloke who got involved in everything football and social. Francis Jeffers on the other hand is a cock who plays billy big bollocks all the time.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #407 on: August 24, 2015, 06:40:49 am »
Harry Kewell sues Jeep over dropped sponsorship for his junior academy

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/national/soccer-star-harry-kewell-sues-jeep-for-breach-of-contract-over-his-junior-training-academy/story-fntzoymg-1227493648673

Not sure what's going on, but apparently Fiat Chrysler Australia was providing Kewell with a free car while a former executive was siphoning off money for a "web services" company that he owned.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/world-business/fiat-chrysler-australia-scandal-reaches-uk-company-with-ties-to-clyde-campbell-20150616-ghpb09.html
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

Offline OzBomber

• Favourite manager Tommy Tootchel favourite Player Naby 'lid' Kyta
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #408 on: August 26, 2015, 09:39:57 am »
I thought he was a quality player, but his inability to stay fit was very frustrating... his injuries pretty much put paid to him, IMO.

The Aussies voted him their best ever footballer a couple of years ago.  :o

Best of luck to the fella in his retirement.
Tim Cahill's our best ever footballer in terms of contribution to the country. Scored a ridiculous amount of important goals (06/10/14 World Cups, multiple goals in Asian Cups + other important goals).

However Harry Kewell is easily the most talented. Had the most technical ability of any Australian I've seen.

I'm just glad Kewell was numero uno in Australia when I started watching football or else I'd be a blueshite right about now...

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #409 on: November 16, 2015, 04:05:37 pm »
Never worked out for Kewell at Anfield, and I dont think a lot of the fans took to him the end, but for me I remember his goal in the Derby when Gerrard got sent off! :) :) :)
Boss goal and a boss game.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #410 on: November 17, 2015, 05:26:16 pm »
Never worked out for Kewell at Anfield, and I dont think a lot of the fans took to him the end, but for me I remember his goal in the Derby when Gerrard got sent off! :) :) :)
Boss goal and a boss game.

He flattened Gary Neville when we beat them 1-0 in the FA cup too after about 2 minutes. That's probably my favourite Kewell moment.

Also had a big hand in the Olympiakos game. As much as people like to give credit to Gerrard for that game, Kewell, Pongolle, and Neil Mellor all played their part too.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #411 on: February 21, 2016, 04:36:16 pm »
Kewell burned bridges with Leeds supporters when he played for Galatasaray

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/02/21/harry-kewell-shares-feelings-on-sleeping-giant-leeds-discusses-p/

...it was his move to Galatasaray in 2008 which really offended Leeds supporters.

As reported by BBC, two Leeds fans were sadly killed by Galatasaray supporters before a UEFA Cup clash in 2000 - when Kewell was still a Leeds player, a move which was seen as unforgivable for many supporters.

Offline _00_deathscar

• Has a quite operational deflecsor shield.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
    • The Suite Life by Chinmoy Lad
« Reply #412 on: February 22, 2016, 04:02:25 am »
He flattened Gary Neville when we beat them 1-0 in the FA cup too after about 2 minutes. That's probably my favourite Kewell moment.

Also had a big hand in the Olympiakos game. As much as people like to give credit to Gerrard for that game, Kewell, Pongolle, and Neil Mellor all played their part too.

Chelsea game the same season we won the FA Cup too - in the semis. Had a brilliant game.
All things luxury travel. Be inspired for your next trip: https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #413 on: February 22, 2016, 09:53:41 am »
Chelsea game the same season we won the FA Cup too - in the semis. Had a brilliant game.
he was brilliant in that game

same that season at home to everton. Gerrard was sent off and he stepped up to the plate

scored a belter too
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #414 on: February 22, 2016, 10:05:36 am »
He was here longer than you tend to think and generally Rafa picked him when fit. Even in those group games v Porto and Marseille when we needed to win he started. Not quite sure when his last game for us was, can't remember him playing much after that.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #415 on: February 22, 2016, 10:06:52 am »
He was here longer than you tend to think and generally Rafa picked him when fit. Even in those group games v Porto and Marseille when we needed to win he started. Not quite sure when his last game for us was, can't remember him playing much after that.
think it was barnsley in the fa cup in 2008

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #416 on: May 23, 2017, 08:45:31 am »
Kewell has left his coaching position with Watford's U-23s, and is favored to get his first manager's position at L2 Crawley Town.

http://www.espnfc.com/english-league-two/story/3132055/harry-kewell-set-for-first-managerial-job-at-crawley-town-reports

Offline Stand Free

• Anny Roader
« Reply #417 on: May 23, 2017, 02:14:26 pm »
Officially announced as Crawley Head Coach. Good luck to him.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40013576

Offline mkferdy

• "Zlat's all, folks!" (yes, that's MY joke!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #418 on: May 23, 2017, 04:37:12 pm »
Managing my local side. Will be interested to see how he gets on.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #419 on: May 23, 2017, 04:43:53 pm »
All-red team as well!

Good luck to Harry! Shame about his injuries or he'd been the McManaman of the 2000's for us.
Linudden.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #420 on: May 27, 2017, 05:07:42 pm »
Good luck Harry. Along with Litmanen, he was probably the signing that excited me most back in the day. Awesome player in his pomp. Hope he does great - -comes across as a top fella.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline ggcc14

• C onfuses objective and objectionable. C-ock
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #421 on: August 5, 2017, 03:12:36 pm »
Just heard he was Crawley manager, I had no idea.. will be interesting to see how he does!
I´ll say something that might surprise you. Real life is different to computer games.
I think Nadal is brilliant. One of the top 10 ever.

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #422 on: November 19, 2017, 06:12:20 pm »
Not going well for Harry ...  :-\

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42045348

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #423 on: November 19, 2017, 09:20:37 pm »
Not going well for Harry ...  :-\

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42045348

at least he’s been given a bit of time i suppose

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #424 on: February 23, 2018, 05:24:47 am »
In a dramatic turnaround from their early season struggles, Kewell's Crawley Town breaks their home win record, and they're in the chase for a promotion spot out of L2

"Incredibly, Crawley now have the same number of points after 34 games (51) than they did in the whole of last season (in 46 games)"

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/socceroos/crawley-town-latest-harry-kewell-praised-for-teams-turnaround-as-they-beat-home-win-record/news-story/db1ffceea768880dd144025c08c49642

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #425 on: February 23, 2018, 07:53:49 am »
Never struck me as one who’d go into management but well done to him doing well at a level he wasn’t familiar at

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #426 on: February 24, 2018, 02:38:21 pm »
Sounds like he's doing well there, good stuff.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #427 on: February 26, 2018, 01:48:18 pm »
This is great - will always have a lot of time for Kewell. Delighted he’s doing well at Crawley - deserves a tremendous amount of credit
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #428 on: February 26, 2018, 06:47:12 pm »
Absolutely superb footballer, what a shame he was injured as much as he was

Offline _00_deathscar

• Has a quite operational deflecsor shield.....
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Suite Life by Chinmoy Lad
« Reply #429 on: February 28, 2018, 03:28:28 pm »
I remember when the Duff/Kewell thing was happened, and I was over the moon we'd signed Harry Kewell rather than Damien Duff.

Things don't always work out that way though. Reckon he was definitely the more talented player, but injuries and all that.
All things luxury travel. Be inspired for your next trip: https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #430 on: March 1, 2018, 04:53:17 pm »
I remember when the Duff/Kewell thing was happened, and I was over the moon we'd signed Harry Kewell rather than Damien Duff.

Things don't always work out that way though. Reckon he was definitely the more talented player, but injuries and all that.

Yeah Duff was decent but Harry was way above him, as you say though, injuries etc....Glad he seems to be doing well. Anyone know how they play? Are they trying to play football?

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #431 on: March 3, 2018, 04:57:58 am »
Exclusive interview with the Torygraph.  Does anyone have subscription so they can can paste it here for us?
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/03/02/harry-kewell-exclusive-interview-love-coaching-far-ever-did/

Offline Koparoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Number 7 is just around the corner!!
« Reply #432 on: March 4, 2018, 02:23:52 am »
Here you go - photos won't show (but you can register for free and get one article per month without paying...)

Harry Kewell exclusive interview: 'I love coaching far more than I ever did playing'

Chris Bascombe
2 MARCH 2018 • 11:00AM

He is one of the youngest coaches in the Football League, leading one of England’s form teams, energising a borough of West Sussex.

Despite that, Harry Kewell admits even some of his former colleagues are unaware he is the manager of League Two Crawley Town.

“One or two have asked me what I am up to these days,” he chuckles. “Part of me likes it that people don’t know I am here because it is about the team, not me. I have always liked being under the radar. Work hard and do well. That is why people talk about you.”

With respect to the Checkatrade.com Stadium with its average gates of 2,000, it is a fair distance from the grand arenas of the Champions League, FA Cup Final and World Cup. But the former Liverpool, Leeds and Australia winger has never been so enthusiastic after finding a professional satisfaction that eluded him on the pitch.

“Honestly, I love coaching far more than I ever did playing,” he says, sounding as if he is startling himself with this admission.

“What I enjoy now is sitting here, getting my ideas across and seeing players fulfil them. I get more from that. I finished my career in Australia and started my Academy, showing kids technique. I just loved it. That fire started to burn straight away.

“You know what? No, I don’t miss playing. I love coaching that much. Maybe if we’re short of a player in training I would make the numbers up, but that is as far it goes.

“I don’t know how to put this without it sounding stupid, but sometimes you wonder if your path is destined, you know?

“When I look back at my career, I knew I could play the game; I knew I understood the game; and I knew I was learning a lot from the game. Not just by playing, but through the rough side - through the injuries and through not playing. I would work my way back into squads, get questioned about things out of my control and I knew people were making comments. Now I believe 100 per cent the setbacks I had help me to be a more understanding coach. In hindsight I obviously wish I did not have so many injuries. I could have seen how far I could have gone in the game. But in saying that, I would not change it because I saw highs and lows.

“I feel these things have given me an inside track for coaching. I had a player this season who started well, got injured, came back and was then injured again. For him it is so frustrating but I know what he is going through. I can make him feel positive to go back at it.

“When I speak to my players about these kinds of issues I understand them better.”

Kewell played for Liverpool more than 100 times CREDIT: ACTION IMAGES

After a spell with Watford’s Under 23s, Kewell took over Crawley in May. It did not start well. After 18 games Crawley had only four wins and a wounding 4-0 defeat against Wycombe prompted some supporters to claim Kewell’s idealistic mission to create an attractive brand of football was misguided.

Kewell stood his ground, publicly addressed fans’ concerns and promised his way would work.

“It is not the first time I have had stick. I will defend myself,” he said. “When ex-professionals go back into the game a lot of people question straight away if a club has just gone for him for his name.

“Then if you don’t set the place alight there are more question marks. But I take all that. I know, just like anyone, you are only as good as the next three points.

“It was hard to keep the fans happy at the start of the season, but slowly they have started enjoying the football. We had a slow start, we picked up and now we are in a good position. In the last few years Crawley have been relegated, been 19th and 20th. We were second favourites to go down at the start of the season. We had to bring a winning mentality and slowly we are turning it around.”

English Football League - League Two
Team                    P   W   D   L   GD   Pts
1   Luton Town   35   20   9   6   40   69
2   Accrington St.   34   20   5   9   20   65
3   Wycombe W.   35   18   8   9   16   62
4   Notts County   35   17   10   8   20   61
5   Mansfield Town   34   16   12   6   18   60
6   Exeter City   33   18   4   11   7   58
7   Swindon Town   35   18   3   14   4   57
8   Coventry City   34   16   6   12   10   54
9   Carlisle U.    36   15   9   12   7   54
10   Lincoln City   34   14   11   9   9   53
11   Crawley Town   35   15   6   14   -2   51
12   Colchester U.   35   13   11   11   4   50
13   Cambridge U.   36   13   10   13   -10   49
14   Newport County   34   12   12   10   -2   48
15   Stevenage         35   11   9   15   -5   42
16   Cheltenham T.   35   10   10   15   -4   40
17   Yeovil Town   34   10   8   16   -9   38
18   Crewe Alex.   35   11   3   21   -16   36
19   Forest Green R   34   10   6   18   -17   36
20   Grimsby Town   36   9   9   18   -23   36
21   Morecambe   33   8   11   14   -10   35
22   Port Vale      34   9   8   17   -12   35
23   Chesterfield   34   8   6   20   -26   30
24   Barnet           35   7   8   20   -19   29

Since November Crawley have won 11 of 16 league games, including a club record five consecutive league home wins to get within six points of the play-offs. They are playing with the imagination expected of a team led by such a technically gifted player.

“I am sure if you asked some of my old team mates they would say, ‘Harry is the last person I thought would be a coach,’” he says.

“I don’t know why, really. I was always asking questions of my managers. One of my pet hates was a manager giving the team an instruction and then someone going off and doing the opposite. Like if we were told to have a two-touch game and someone would take three touches. I would say, ‘he has just told you. Why did you do that?’ When a coach asked me to do something, I would want to be clear exactly what he wanted and do it. It infuriated me – and still does – when players do not do that.

You work all week to get that win, and when it does not happen you feel it. It hurts... it is something you feel more personally than you did as a player

“I had a great teacher at the start at Leeds with George Graham – a military coach. When he walked down the hallway you would stand to attention. Then we had Eddie Gray and Paul Hart who I still talk to. Then Gerard Houllier and Rafa Benitez were fantastic for me at Liverpool, as was Guus Hiddink with Australia. But my favourite was Frank Rijkaard at Galatasaray.  The way he saw football took it to another level. He explained ideas to me in a way no-one had before. Even the way he warmed us up was impressive. After playing for him I never felt better on a football field.”

But is it not a risk for such a well-known player to start in the lowest tier?

Kewell rejects the suggestion.

“I’m glad you mentioned that because anyone who says, ‘you are starting at the bottom,’ could not be more wrong,” he says.

“When we played Accrington Stanley at the start of the season, their manager John Coleman said to me this is not the bottom. He is right. There are four other leagues under this.

“I have been given the opportunity to start high and I feel privileged I have been given the chance to manage at a Football League club.

“Anyone who gets the chance has to do it, because you can make a difference. They can all play the game here. It’s just they need someone to coach them.

“Don’t get me wrong, everyone would love to walk out and have all the best facilities, five newly installed pitches to train on every season. But you have to learn your trade. I see this as starting my apprenticeship again. Instead of being a 15-year-old trainee cleaning boots at Leeds I am learning how to become a manager. I love it.

“You work all week to get that win, and when it does not happen you feel it. It hurts. It could be your decision; the system not working. It may be the opposition is just better or you were unlucky, but it is something you feel more personally than you did as a player.”

Kewell’s presence is scattering stardust on the touchlines of League Two. He is unlikely to stay under the radar.
"After 27 years and 11 days, finally, we got justice for the 96"
Adrian Tempany

... YNWA

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #433 on: March 4, 2018, 06:45:56 am »

“You know what? No, I don’t miss playing. I love coaching that much. Maybe if we’re short of a player in training I would make the numbers up, but that is as far it goes.

Harry Kewell gets it. Most ex-players coach because they either don't know what else to do, or they just want to stay as "players" for as long as possible. You usually see these types of coaches get involved in every drill or game they can, just so they can still feel as if they're "one of the lads". But Kewell gets it. Give it 5 years, he might be a serious contended in the top leagues for a top 6 job.

Better looking than Samie.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #434 on: March 4, 2018, 11:04:16 am »

Harry Kewell gets it. Most ex-players coach because they either don't know what else to do, or they just want to stay as "players" for as long as possible. You usually see these types of coaches get involved in every drill or game they can, just so they can still feel as if they're "one of the lads". But Kewell gets it. Give it 5 years, he might be a serious contended in the top leagues for a top 6 job.

Not saying I disagree with you but that is quite a big statement. I wish him all the best and I really liked him as a footballer but what has he really done? He'll take that team to mid table which is hardly a huge achievement when you compare to other young managers down in the football league. The likes of Darrell Clarke at Bristol Rovers for example who's got back to back promotions in the conference and league 2 and now has them close to the league 1 playoffs on a shoestring budget. There's other examples too down there of young managers doing great jobs for multiple seasons. Is there something in particular that you see in Kewell that elevates him so highly?

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #435 on: March 4, 2018, 02:29:52 pm »
Not saying I disagree with you but that is quite a big statement. I wish him all the best and I really liked him as a footballer but what has he really done? He'll take that team to mid table which is hardly a huge achievement when you compare to other young managers down in the football league. The likes of Darrell Clarke at Bristol Rovers for example who's got back to back promotions in the conference and league 2 and now has them close to the league 1 playoffs on a shoestring budget. There's other examples too down there of young managers doing great jobs for multiple seasons. Is there something in particular that you see in Kewell that elevates him so highly?

I did say "Might" ;D

And what he has over the others is, unfortunately, his past playing career. Because while it doesn't, in any way, indicate coaching or managing ability in future, a good playing career opens up a hell of a lot more doors.

But my point was more that Kewell has the right mentality. To be a good coach, the first thing you have to do is love coaching, and usually love it more than playing. It's a profession in itself, not an extension of being a player, and that's where most ex-players get it wrong.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #436 on: March 4, 2018, 07:03:08 pm »
Great to hear his enthusiasm. I would love it; just love it if he could do really well at coaching.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #437 on: March 5, 2018, 09:18:13 am »

I guess it's all about style of play and whether it's transferable to the highest level. There are so many managers for instance who are specialists at getting a team out of a certain division but then are incapable of being competitive at the higher level, or there are managers who will always keep a team up but are unable to get them finishing higher. Colin Wanker is a good example of the former; Tony Pulis is an example of the latter. Roy Hodgson was evidence of this when he took over Liverpool and immediately had us playing like Fulham, likewise with Moyes at United.

From media reports, it sounds as though Harry Kewell has Crawley playing good, attacking football, which could translate to a club fighting for honours in Premiership. In contrast, most managers in League 2 will favour long ball, defensive football, which definitely wouldn't suit a bigger club.

The media always ask why British managers aren't given a chance at one of the top 6 clubs and it is the style of play that is the reason, rather than nationality. Eddie Howe it the only one currently who would ever be considered by an Arsenal if Wenger leaves or by a Tottenham if Pochettino leaves. Shaun Dyche is doing a better job than Howe at Burnley but he would have no chance of getting such a job, unless someone made a catastrophic decision.

And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #438 on: March 5, 2018, 04:48:16 pm »

I was gagging for us to sign one of them. But yeah Kewell was probably the more talented although hindsight shows we'd have been better off with Duff.

injuries ruined his time here. although even after some bad injuries i thought he did very well the year we won the fa cup in 2006. his pace was gone but his game intelligence was still there

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #439 on: August 31, 2018, 11:30:28 am »