Author Topic: Sebastion Leto??  (Read 25077 times)

Offline Koparoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Number 7 is just around the corner!!
Re: Sebastion Leto??
« Reply #80 on: July 13, 2008, 01:04:09 pm »
There's a worrying story on the bbc today:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7503877.stm

I very much hope that Leto isn't involved with this (there's no suggestion from the story that he is, it just says that Argentinian footballers are among those being investigated).  Just thought it was worth posting because of the similarities with what we've heard about his passport situation.

Yeah it's all over the Italian papers this weekend. Unfortunately resolution of Leto's "issues" will inevitably be delayed while this "affair" is resolved.

It's always been an attractive backdoor into Europe as the right to Italian nationality just keeps extending once the paperwork is completed. This is particularly useful in Argentina where a lot of Italians migrated after WW2.

So say your great grandfather was Italian, then his grandchildren (the generation above you) can establish their right to Italian nationality by lodging the paperwork to prove the link. Once they establish their right to nationality, their children and grandchildren have the right to claim nationality in turn by proving their link to the last generation.

The key is to complete the paperwork - and get through the byzantine Italian bureaucracy. [One of the problems is that most Italian records are held locally - usually in your place of birth - rather than centrally in Rome or somewhere. And most records are still manual not computer-based.] That's partly what this is about - apart from the fraudulent passports - plenty of legitimate people get frustrated by the delays in the system... Particularly if they've just signed a lucrative contract in Europe!!

If he's not an EU national, then coming from Argentina (or Brazil) makes it virtually impossible to satisfy the UK qualification tests for footballers.

I hope he's close to resolving it... but I note that he didn't play at Tranmere - so not looking good.
"After 27 years and 11 days, finally, we got justice for the 96"
Adrian Tempany

... YNWA

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #81 on: July 13, 2008, 02:03:32 pm »
jim

it gets worse

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_3811619,00.html

Police made a 120 raids. One of the places that got raided was lanus. The club we got leto from! dosen't look like we'll be seeing him again!

bugger.  i actually rate him quite highly - when he played for the rezzies he looked the best player though its clearly been a while since he got a run out.  if we have to wait another season while the italians slowly get round to sorting this out it might be time to move him on but i rather hope he gets a chance to play - he is big but mobile and with a real ability to deliver short clever balls in and around the area which is just what we need.

Offline Manila Kop

• TRYING HARD TO FIT IN OOTER
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Greatest Fighter in the World
« Reply #82 on: July 16, 2008, 09:44:11 am »
bugger.  i actually rate him quite highly - when he played for the rezzies he looked the best player though its clearly been a while since he got a run out.  if we have to wait another season while the italians slowly get round to sorting this out it might be time to move him on but i rather hope he gets a chance to play - he is big but mobile and with a real ability to deliver short clever balls in and around the area which is just what we need.

Can't we send him on loan to Spain or Argentina first while we're sorting the bloody paperwork out?  A year on the sidelines for a perfectly healthy professional player is a bloody waste, he needs the competitive runouts to keep honing his skills as much as the exposure to Melwood will be useful.
The infallible wank stain
Lolzies. More chance of a wank off the pope than beating United, I'm afraid. It is beyond Benitez, apart from when they were at their lowest ebb, when we knocked them out of the FA Cup. They certainly aren't anywhere near there now.

Offline dmn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: July 16, 2008, 10:35:45 am »
Can't we send him on loan to Spain or Argentina first while we're sorting the bloody paperwork out?  A year on the sidelines for a perfectly healthy professional player is a bloody waste, he needs the competitive runouts to keep honing his skills as much as the exposure to Melwood will be useful.
It was said that we rejected offers from Argentina (River - big club) and Spain in January, cause Rafa saw it better that he continued to adapt to both life and football in England.

But obviously, if his passport can't be sorted he'll have to go.

Offline richj.lfc

• Kemlynite
« Reply #84 on: July 16, 2008, 07:40:00 pm »
Watching him now against Luzern. He's having a really good game.

Offline cj

• didn't get where he is today without becoming a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: July 16, 2008, 08:42:32 pm »
Nice to see him finally playing at least.
He did have a good game today but then again you have to consider the opposition.

I did rate him as a player before we signed him, like Babel he possesses great technical ability but is sometimes lacking in the final ball/decision making. Whether he will fit into our system/playing in the premiership is a complete unkown to all of us though. We all have to wait and see.

Offline lvcjmac

• Legacy Fan
  • Pennsylvania Kopite
    • Local Internet Marketing
« Reply #86 on: July 16, 2008, 08:46:13 pm »
I'd like to see the lad get a run of games this preseason.  I think it would suit him us to loan him out this season if he continues to have his passport issues.
18 time English Champions | 5 time European Champions | 3 UEFA Cups | 7 FA Cups | 8 League Cups

Offline nocturnalvin

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96.
« Reply #87 on: July 16, 2008, 08:47:59 pm »
his final ball hasnt improve one tad, which is quite a waste considering his technical abilities. I would like to see this kid be given more chances.

Offline LukeD

• Middle aged perv on the school bus. Can't cope with massively fat tongues.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #88 on: July 16, 2008, 08:51:24 pm »
his final ball hasnt improve one tad, which is quite a waste considering his technical abilities. I would like to see this kid be given more chances.

Agree with that, the final ball and choice of pass needs work on big time.  He looked scared to have the ball at times which made him look a bit clumsy on occasions.  That said, I felt the same way about Finnan when Rafa first came and he grew into a great player so lets hope Rafa can work the magic on Leto, there's definitely promise there.

Offline AJ305

• Main Stander
« Reply #89 on: July 16, 2008, 09:02:03 pm »
just think he's still very young to be thrown into a new league and a team like liverpool it'll be mad to lose him so early in his career

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #90 on: July 16, 2008, 09:27:45 pm »
BENITEZ WELCOMES RETURN OF LETO
Steve Hunter in Grenchen 16 July 2008 
  Rafael Benitez welcomed the return of Sebastian Leto after the Argentine winger enjoyed an impressive run-out during the 2-1 win over FC Lucerne in Grenchen. 
The left winger, who was signed by Benitez from Club Atletico Lanus, gave an exciting performance during the 55 minutes that he was on the pitch.

Andriy Voronin scored a brilliant winner for Rafael Benitez's side after Mario Gavranovic had equalised Lucas' opener.

Due to work permit problems Leto last played a competitive match for the reserves against Middlesbrough on December 10, 2008, and the Reds boss is now hoping to have the winger available for selection in his squad this season.

"Leto is a good player and he showed tonight the quality that he has," said Benitez. "He has had some problems with his work permit but hopefully that will be okay because has a lot of quality.

"We are waiting to hear when that permit will come through and we should find that out in the next 10 days.

"I thought there were a lot of positives to take for us from this game. The idea was to continue improving the fitness level of the players. It was a good game with a lot of opportunities and like many times last season I could see another game when their goalkeeper was man of the match.

"The understanding between Daniel Pacheco and Voronin was good and both players did well. The team worked really hard which was good. We kept the ball well and passed the ball well.

"It was also good to give Ryan Babel, Dirk Kuyt and Javier Mascherano their first games. Kuyt has only just joined us for training and wanted to play tonight."

Steven Gerrard was an unused substitute but Benitez revealed that decision was taken as a precaution because of tiredness, and confirmed his skipper is expected to play against Wisla Krakow on Saturday,

"Steven Gerrard was a little bit tired so we didn't want to take any risks," added the boss. "Jermaine Pennant has a knock so like Gerrard we didn't want to take any risk.

"Steve Finnan has a problem with his thigh and he is back in Liverpool receiving treatment."

The Reds boss also revealed that Andrea Dossena couldn't play because international clearance had not arrived in time for this match. It is hoped he can make his debut against Wisla Krakow in Poland on Saturday.

Benitez also confirmed that Ryan Babel will be allowed to go to the Olympics with the Holland squad. 

On the official site.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline Xabier Alonso Olano

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: July 16, 2008, 09:30:59 pm »
Steve Finnan is back with "a problem with his thigh"?

How convenient. Barry deal is finally going to be over soon then?

Online RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: July 16, 2008, 10:04:54 pm »
Agree with that, the final ball and choice of pass needs work on big time.  He looked scared to have the ball at times which made him look a bit clumsy on occasions.  That said, I felt the same way about Finnan when Rafa first came and he grew into a great player so lets hope Rafa can work the magic on Leto, there's definitely promise there.

Agreed. He shows a willingness to run at players and go past them, which is promising, he just needs to work on what he's going to do once he's done that.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: July 16, 2008, 10:10:09 pm »
I know we are in the NOW NOW NOOOWWW generation but if people just let this guy develop. We may have an absolute gem on our hands.

IMO, he was by far the most impressive player in the Reserves last season.

Offline cj

• didn't get where he is today without becoming a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: July 16, 2008, 10:33:52 pm »
As for the last 2 games I still have this secret leto+doessena admiration. Would like to see them both offer up what they can do on saturday.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #95 on: July 17, 2008, 01:24:53 am »
I know we are in the NOW NOW NOOOWWW generation but if people just let this guy develop. We may have an absolute gem on our hands.

Thought he was very promising today. It looks like he's beginning to use his size and strength to his advantage. I'd assume that by playing against Luzern, his passport problems must have been resolved or the club think they are. If so, he needs to be utilized more often this season.

Offline nocturnalvin

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96.
« Reply #96 on: July 17, 2008, 08:36:43 am »
Agreed. He shows a willingness to run at players and go past them, which is promising, he just needs to work on what he's going to do once he's done that.

else we will be left with a leftfooted pennant, albeit a cheaper version.

Offline woz92

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: July 17, 2008, 08:57:16 am »
Xabier Alonso Olano
Anny Roader

I will be watching Juve next season. Boo!

« Reply #91 on: Yesterday at 09:30:59 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steve Finnan is back with "a problem with his thigh"?

How convenient. Barry deal is finally going to be over soon then?

i agree, why would he go back to liverpool when the physios ect are in switserland with the team . hmmmmmm, maybe Finnan is on his way out then :( i think he has been solid for us over the years , he has been injured this year and maybe it wasnt his best season in a reds shirt. but he could do a job for us next season
YNWA 96

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
« Reply #98 on: July 20, 2008, 09:17:32 am »
Got to agree with the posts here, great at running past people, bad at the final ball/finding other players.

Granted he hasn't played as much as he should've, and he has time to develop, so will reserve judgement, but when you look at him compared to Babel (who's younger) you can see the gulf in class.

Could be a monster on the wing if his passing and awareness become as good as his running past defenders.
You try me once you beg for more.

Offline abhred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: July 20, 2008, 12:14:02 pm »
He has the talent. He's tricky, has decent pace, and can get past a man. Only problem is his final ball/decision making. If he sorts that out (and he probably could if he plays more regularly), then we'd have a big, powerful, tricky winger in our squad, kinda like Santiago Solari. And that's not a bad type of player to have.
It wouldn't be Liverpool if we didn't do it the hard way... ask Gareth Southgate.

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #100 on: July 20, 2008, 12:19:40 pm »
Funny what we see.

For me, he doesn't have the pace to be a winger.
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline AussieG

• Kopite
  • Gerrard shots, OH MY WORD WHAT A GOAL
« Reply #101 on: July 20, 2008, 12:33:53 pm »
his passing would improve if he lifted his head and had a look at what going on instead of ball watchin

Offline Taylor_LFC

• Whopper who didn't make it to Porto
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS
« Reply #102 on: July 20, 2008, 12:50:41 pm »
I'm probably one of the few on here that thinks he is shite. I'd be shocked if he became top 4 material in the near future. I suppose he is only 21, but for me that gives him maybe a year or two to improve. Possibly worth loaning him out to see how he does.

Offline Juan Loco

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: July 20, 2008, 02:46:29 pm »
I'm probably one of the few on here that thinks he is shite. I'd be shocked if he became top 4 material in the near future. I suppose he is only 21, but for me that gives him maybe a year or two to improve. Possibly worth loaning him out to see how he does.

I reckon he's alright to be honest. Not deserving of some of the criticism he got yesterday from commentary. Particularly from Fairclough as he will have known the lad hasn't played for atleast 6 months, except on Wednesday.

I'm not sure exactly what people were expecting. Our team in general looks slow and like they've never played together - it's pre-season. Leto has probably played with half of these players as many times as Degen and Dossena has.

The way I see it the criticisms that can be leveled at him as what you'd usually level at any young player - he lacks a final product and 'game intelligence'. But you'd expect him to, not having played in anything but training games for months.

Funny what we see.

I sort of agree. For me he seems quick enough, though not Torres, but he lacks any sort of explosiveness. He looks quite good at dribbling past players, but then doesn't have that surge of acceleration over 5-10 yards to take him away from that player. I'm not sure if that's something you can train on, I seem to remember Shevchenko trying to do something about it at Chelsea but that didn't seem to work. My frustration with the lad more than pace is the fact that every time he played since he arrived he seems to get bullied off the ball. Even in friendlies he goes down easy. The guy must be 6'2, and he isn't fucking skinny either, yet he's always on the ground or complaining about a freekick he didn't get.

Given the lack of quality players out wide we have I'm not going to write off the lads chances. Same with Hammil and Anderson. There's got to be 2 or 3 spots in the squad available for wingers, and you've got to hope one of them makes it. Bit frustrating at the moment that two of them, both of whom could have come off bench and made an impact now that we have this 7 subs thing, have been loaned out. Hope same thing doesn't happen to Leto. Be nice if there was a youngster on the bench, coming on in games for half an hour and learning his trade, rather than another utility player or a 4th choice ponytailed striker.

Offline MrPlow

• Super Dick
  • Anny Roader
  • ^^^I have a Super Dick apparently.
« Reply #104 on: July 20, 2008, 02:50:18 pm »
He's really slow for a winger.
'You can't have your cake and eat it too'

Seriously, WTF.

If you're not going to let me eat the cake, I will throw it at your smug face you stupid cliche using bastard.

Offline red through and through

• Anny Roader
« Reply #105 on: July 20, 2008, 02:57:13 pm »
“The recipe for perpetual ignorance is a very simple and effective one: be satisfied with your opinions and content with your knowledge” Elbert Hubbard.

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!

Offline red through and through

• Anny Roader
« Reply #107 on: July 20, 2008, 03:41:39 pm »
 :-X
“The recipe for perpetual ignorance is a very simple and effective one: be satisfied with your opinions and content with your knowledge” Elbert Hubbard.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: July 20, 2008, 03:49:18 pm »
He's really slow for a winger.
He overcomes it with his size and strength.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: July 20, 2008, 10:20:59 pm »
He overcomes it with his size and strength.
Hope I'm wrong but 'll be amazed if Leto makes it into our first team on any kind of regular basis.

Going past a few Swiss dead-legs doesn't mean he can do it in the Premier League. He's strong and rangy but lacks pace and more importantly from what I've seen, end product.

He looked half-decent in the reserves but he is 3 years older than most of them so he should do really.

Offline Jägarn99

• Main Stander
« Reply #110 on: July 20, 2008, 10:31:16 pm »
Funny what we see.

I am there with you, have decent skills but lack the pace.

Offline Juan Loco

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: July 20, 2008, 10:48:57 pm »
Going past a few Swiss dead-legs doesn't mean he can do it in the Premier League.

That's a bit harsh. Luzern's right back has been around for years and he's very combative.

Any winger who can make the highlander and Rayden look stupid isn't too bad.

Offline Indian

• Anny Roader
« Reply #112 on: July 20, 2008, 11:03:34 pm »
Nice one Juan  ;)
"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much,much more important than that. "
-----Bill Shankly -----

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: February 13, 2015, 02:46:01 pm »
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/former-liverpool-player-sebastian-leto-in-intensive-care-after-barbell-fell-on-his-head-during-freak-training-ground-accident-10041735.html
poor bugger,,all the best to him

Former Liverpool player Sebastian Leto will undergo surgery in the next 48 hours after a freak accident in the gym left the striker, who now pays for Lanus in his native Argentina, in intensive care.

Leto, who is on loan from Italian club Catania, was hit on the head by a piece of exercise equipment, fracturing his skull.

He was initially sent home, before attending hospital where the extent of the injury was assessed, and he was then placed in intensive care.

Now, the Argentinian club have confirmed the player - who is in a stable condition - is set for surgery.

Reports in Argentina today suggest his life is not in danger but his recovery will take four to six months.

"Yesterday, Sebastian Leto, during routine work in the gym, suffered an accident with head trauma, leaving a wound in his scalp," the club said in a statement.
He was treated at the club, [however] an hour after consultation with the medical team he complained of a headache and was evaluated again.

"After the evaluation it was decided he should attend hospital, where he was diagnosed with a fractured skull.
"He was assessed by a neurological team who confirmed the fracture.

"He was then evaluated by Dr. Cristian Fuster who decided he needed surgical treatment, which take place within the next 48 hrs."

Leto, 28. was signed for Liverpool by Rafa Benitez for £1.8m in 2007 and made four competitive appearances for the club - before leaving to join Olympiakos on loan the following year after problems securing a work permit.

He completed a permanent move away from Liverpool in 2009, when he signed for Panathinaikos for £3m
bollocks

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #114 on: February 13, 2015, 02:47:42 pm »
Hope he gets well soon.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline stevo7

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Direct Action Now
« Reply #115 on: February 13, 2015, 02:53:07 pm »
Good luck lad.

Online paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #116 on: February 13, 2015, 03:03:04 pm »
nasty

good luck seb
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Mamadou

• & Ariam. Reads RAWK in strip clubs, but does not post.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: February 13, 2015, 03:08:10 pm »
get well
" Throw me to the wolves and I will return leading the pack"

Offline KenyanKopite

• Main Stander
« Reply #118 on: February 13, 2015, 04:15:45 pm »
Yikes! What are the chances? Hope he pulls through.
Quote from: Pelé as a Comedian

maybe the wasp was from Uruguay ? did it fly away and kiss its wrists jubilantly ?

Nope, he flopped on the floor and rolled about a bit when I hadn't even touched him so I nailed him with a stamp. Huth-like.

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: February 13, 2015, 04:17:50 pm »
Get well soon and good luck Seb!