Author Topic: PL: Liverpool 4 v 0 Southampton 2' 33' Jota, 37' Thiago, 52' Virgil  (Read 15902 times)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Liverpool vs Southampton

15:00, Saturday 27th October 2021
Anfield, Liverpool
Premier League
Referee: Andre Marriner

Supporters of both Liverpool and Southampton alike could be forgiven for lamenting ‘seasons of two halves’ going into their meeting in early May last season. Having been top of the Premier League at Christmas, following a 7-0 victory away to Crystal Palace, injury-hit Liverpool had won just three of their next fourteen matches up to mid-March. A trio of spring wins against Wolves, Arsenal, and Villa had given slight promise of a late-season fightback, but confidence, hope, and resilience were in extremely short supply after the Reds fell to back-to-back late equalisers to Leeds and Wolves – they sat 7th, 7 points from 4th, going into their final five matches. Southampton’s own impressive opening ‘half’ of the campaign ran until game 17 – a 1-0 home victory against Liverpool, after which they sat 9th, on 26 points and only 3 from the top four (and with a game in hand). The Saints would somewhat collapse from this point on, however, taking just 8 points from their next thirteen matches and dropping to 15th.

Though still at nowhere near their best, the Reds were able to claim a professional 2-0 home victory courtesy of goals from Sadio Mane and – his first for Liverpool – Thiago. The win nudged Liverpool into the top six – though supporters’ hopes of qualifications remained more in hearts than heads – whilst defeat extended Southampton’s dismal run amidst a state of anonymous safety. The run-in would prove exhilarating for Jurgen Klopp’s side – Mo Salah’s breakaway late goal to seal a 4-2 victory at Old Trafford felt like a turning point, whilst Alisson’s headed injury-time winner at The Hawthorns reminded Liverpool supporters of just why they should never give up. ‘Head up high’ and ‘with hope in your heart’ indeed. With renewed confidence & belief, two more victories (against Burnley and Crystal Palace) saw the Reds finish an unlikely – given the context – 3rd in the league. Though never really in danger going into their final four, Southampton too claimed a couple of wins – 3-1 against Crystal Palace and Fulham – before defeats to Leeds and West Ham saw them finish a lowly 16th, but 15 points clear of the drop zone.

After a seven-season absence (two of which were spent as low as League One, for the first time since 1960), it seems fair to say that Southampton have settled back to familiar territory: an only-occasionally-in-trouble top-half-of-the-bottom-half top-flight team, as they were for much of the period between promotion in 1978 and their relegation in 2005 (they’re also behind only the Premier League ever-presents and Manchester City in terms of their length of current stay). The likes of Paul Jones, Claus Lundekvam, and Matt le Tissier are the names that spring to mind from my own childhood, whilst I also recall Egil Ostenstad, James Beattie, and Marian Pahars being amongst the goals for the Saints. They finished a solid 14th in their return season, under Nigel Adkins, but performed really well with a talented squad* that finished 8th, 7th, 6th, & 8th between 2014 & 2017. They’ve reverted to type a little during the last four years, and – under Ralph Hassenhuttl – appear a somewhat unusual side who deliver half-and-half campaigns of the good and the very bad (see 2019-20 and 2020-21, across which their form was the 5th best in the league over a 43 game period).

(*and one particular team that lined up with: Forster, Clyne, Alderweireld, Fonte, Bertrand, Schneiderlin, Wanyama, Davis, Tadic, Mane, Pelle).

Southampton’s start to the 2021-22 campaign has been…well…very Southampton. The visitors were poor during the early stints of the season, taking just 4 points (from draws) from their opening seven matches, but performed well between the last pair of international breaks, going undefeated and claiming 10 points from four matches – last time out, they lost 2-1 away to then-bottom of the table Norwich City. Southampton can be a really difficult team to predict – looking at their run of fixtures through December and the festive period, it’s hard to call whether it presents opportunity or jeopardy. What’s for sure, however, is that a trip to Anfield represents an unlikely potential scalp rather a game they’ll be expecting multiple points from – sitting 13th, clear of the relegation zone and in touch with the top-half, a solid performance may be more important than the result when it comes to establishing a foundation of confidence for the weeks ahead.

It’s perhaps fair to say that the Reds have started the season with modest success – they sit 3rd, just out of touch with leaders Chelsea, and are the league’s top scorers. Four draws and a defeat to West Ham mean that Klopp’s side have yet to truly build a head of steam in the Premier League, however, and even the emphatic defeat of an in-form Arsenal side is difficult to read too much into. Leaders Chelsea face both Liverpool and Man City either side of their January FA Cup fixture, in what is likely to be a pivotal pair of fixtures – to ensure genuine confidence going into that Chelsea game, you sense that Liverpool must be no further away from the summit than the current 4 points. Saturday’s game represents the first of a run of league matches to see out 2021 that Liverpool will be expected to win each one of, and professional efficiency will be key through this period.

Southampton – with a free midweek in which to prepare for their trip north – are almost at full strength ahead of this weekend’s match. With his team one of the league’s worst performers in front of goal, Hassenhuttl will be pleased to welcome Jack Stephens back to his defence in order to provide some reinforcement – not only against Sadio Mane, Diogo Jota, and Mo Salah on Saturday, but also to try to help tip the balance during the coming weeks and prevent potential wins & draws becoming draws & defeats. Liverpool have qualified for the Champions League knockout stages with two games to spare and so had the luxury of making some changes midweek, though may be more restricted at the weekend – Klopp remains without injured Bobby Firmino and Harvey Elliott, whilst Saturday may come a few days too early for the midfield pair of Naby Keita and Curtis Jones.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 04:30:46 pm by Rush 82 »
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: PL: Liverpool v Southampton
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2021, 02:13:30 pm »

« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 02:19:49 pm by jillc »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2021, 02:14:56 pm »

« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 02:20:43 pm by jillc »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2021, 02:56:45 pm »
The teams are coming out.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2021, 03:00:20 pm »
0 Liverpool are attacking the Anfield Road end.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2021, 03:01:13 pm »
1 Southampton straight away attack us and gain a corner. The corner goes in and and eventually goes over the goal post.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2021, 03:02:43 pm »
2 Then we attack with Jota but the ball is blocked, we manage to get hold of the ball again some good work between Mane and Robbo and Jota puts it in the net. 1-0.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 03:20:32 pm by jillc »

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
Re: PL: Liverpool 1 v 0 Southampton 2' Jota
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2021, 03:03:33 pm »
Jota makes up for his dithering 30 seconds earlier

Salah's song rings out loud and clear

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2021, 03:03:59 pm »
3 Both teams are having issues with the swirling wind we just about manage to keep out Southampton after our goal.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2021, 03:04:37 pm »
3 Wow, then Thiago messes up a back pass but somehow Alisson manages to prevent a goal.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2021, 03:04:55 pm »
erm...team seems determined to keep our adrenaline up - would prefer if they do it by scoring goals

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2021, 03:05:34 pm »
4 This game has a thunderous pace some great running by Robertson there puts in a great cross but we can't take advantage this time.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2021, 03:05:57 pm »
3 Wow, then Thiago messes up a back pass but somehow Alisson manages to prevent a goal.
showing why he's the best in the world - he reacted lightning fast to dive in and parry that away

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2021, 03:06:52 pm »
5 We had another half chance there some great work from Mane, but Southampton just about manage to control the ball and get it back to their goalie.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2021, 03:07:50 pm »
showing why he's the best in the world - he reacted lightning fast to dive in and parry that away

He was brilliant, so quick in his reactions. It's going to be a game of mistake thanks to that wind, its helping neither team.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2021, 03:09:02 pm »
7 We are little bit guilty of being careless with some of our passing at the back and into midfield. Soton are very quick to take advantage of any mistake.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2021, 03:09:38 pm »
Hah! Haven't seen that for a while - the ref calling the player back for taking too many steps at the throw-in

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2021, 03:10:07 pm »
9 That was a great move, started by Alisson a great pass by Thiago onto Jota but he couldn't quite reach the ball quickly enough, but the right idea.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2021, 03:11:18 pm »
12 That looked a poor tackle on Mane, he was in a lot of pain there. Mane is up with no need of treatment. A free kick, Robbo with a delivery and Mane with a header into the net but its been disallowed.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 03:12:54 pm by jillc »

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2021, 03:12:27 pm »
Mane channelling his inner Neymar - legitimate foul but he didn't half execute a surfeit of rolls :lmao

Maybe it's his new tactic to make sure that refs notice him being fouled

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2021, 03:13:48 pm »
12 That looked a poor tackle on Mane, he was in a lot of pain there. Mane is up with no need of treatment. A free kick, Robbo with a delivery and Mane with a header into the net but its been disallowed.
No lines shown of course but that must have been one of those hairsbreadth decisions

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2021, 03:14:07 pm »
13 A minutes applause from the fans for poor Ava White tragically murdered on Thursday night. RIP Ava.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2021, 03:14:53 pm »
No lines shown of course but that must have been one of those hairsbreadth decisions

It looked as though they got it right but it was very close.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2021, 03:16:06 pm »
14 Southampton getting a bit of possession until we get away with the ball, but we can't quite manage to create anything. But this game goes end to end very quickly.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2021, 03:16:09 pm »
Bednarek earned himself a card for that tackle too so it was deffo a poor one

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2021, 03:16:54 pm »
16 Mane and Jota doing some great pressing and managing to force Soton to play it back. We manage to win it back again and Salah puts in a shot which narrowly goes wide.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2021, 03:18:22 pm »
Given the pace of this game, I'd really like to see us score another 2 quick goals to kill these off - they have far too much energy for my liking

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2021, 03:18:55 pm »
17 We win the ball high up again but this time Trent waits a little too long he was trying to put Salah in, looked as if he could have taken the shot himself.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2021, 03:20:23 pm »
That's a ridiculous arm around Mo's neck to stop him - no idea why the 'saints player didn't get a card for that

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2021, 03:20:54 pm »
That's a ridiculous arm around Mo's neck to stop him - no idea why the 'saints player didn't get a card for that

Crazy what they allow.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2021, 03:21:39 pm »
20 Southampton have some possession but Konate does brilliantly there.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2021, 03:22:41 pm »
22 After a long throw in for Soton we get the goal back to Alisson who sees Salah free and tries a pass to him, doesn't quite come off.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2021, 03:23:24 pm »
23 Over to Rush82.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2021, 03:23:59 pm »
23' Thiago with a really good take in the middle of the park - he's fouled but manages to stay upright. Whistle goes and we move the ball toward the right. Southampton break but Alisson does brilliantly to block and it's out for a corner.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2021, 03:25:03 pm »
That was great anticipation from Alisson again, he's so quick at spotting danger and reacting.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2021, 03:26:08 pm »
25' Alisson, Virgil and Konate take a bit of the sting out of the game before a punt towards Mane. S'hampton throwing that ends up with us giving it back to Alisson.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2021, 03:27:56 pm »
Yet another stupid offside decision. When it's that offside put the flag up.  :butt

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2021, 03:28:00 pm »
26' Game has slowed down slightly - S'hampton break, Alisson pushes it wide but the player was so far offside that Anfield rightly display their displeasure at the stupidity of it all.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2021, 03:29:59 pm »
28' ball is moved beautifully through the field, Mane cuts it back to Hendo but he can't get over it and skies it way into the stands

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2021, 03:32:09 pm »
30' Trent with a pinpoint pass nearly threads it through to Hendo lurking on the edge of the Saints area but they clear.

Whoop whoop

Jota 2-0 - on a plate from Mo