Author Topic: The iPhone  (Read 1040379 times)

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The iPhone
« Reply #16440 on: November 27, 2017, 02:22:30 pm »
Hold down the home button and power together when this happens and it'll come back on after about 5 minutes.

The battery is dying and as a result the software can't work out what power is actually left. The 30% will likely be about 6% of the battery's original capacity.

Yeah I do that usually and it turns back on, I put in my passcode and whilst loading everything up again it dies again and comes up with the 'plug in' screen.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16441 on: November 29, 2017, 10:48:08 am »
My X is here so looking at selling my iPhone 6S, anyone used Tech 360 or music magpie? Or recommend any others?

Tech 360, along with a few others I've never heard of, are offering £230 for an unlocked one, it's in perfect nick to be honest, always been in a case, no battery issues. There's a tiny little scratch down near the home button, like couple of mm and I doubt anyone would notice it but I'm wondering if they'll be pricks as some of the reviews seem sketchy.

Music Magpie is £215 but obviously they're a bigger name and the reviews seem better.

Just checked my battery and it's 84.7%/331 cycles, not bad for a 2 yr old phone!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 10:57:15 am by Claire. »

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16442 on: November 29, 2017, 10:50:29 am »
Check out Envirofone.

I've used them in the past and at the time they were offering the most out of anyone and was a great service. Believe EXTRA5 still works to get an additional 5% too (try EXTRA10 but not sure it works anymore).

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16443 on: November 29, 2017, 11:53:25 am »
I'll have a look at envirofone, heard of them and they've got a good rating on trustpilot :)

I'm pretty happy with £215 like, was surprised at it to be honest, I remember when I got the 6S and I had a 5S to sell and the prices were low - £130ish.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16444 on: November 29, 2017, 12:37:19 pm »
Quick look seems to suggest £236 on Envirofone, so £247.80 with the added 5%.

Guessing you’ve got the 128GB?

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16445 on: November 29, 2017, 01:06:00 pm »
nah 64GB, think it's £211 with envirofone but the 5% will push them ahead of music magpie on £215 ;D

it's just gone up to £216 with them now, weird.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #16446 on: November 29, 2017, 03:35:56 pm »
I used envirofone and the wife used music magpie recently. Neither of us had any issues
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16447 on: November 29, 2017, 08:11:43 pm »
Have you unwittingly started a bidding war? :o

Haha, hope so! Gotta wait for voda to unlock it and then transfer my number so few days for them to fight over it ;D

PS the X is bloody lovely 

Offline S.Red please

• SerbianRed ;)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Penny Lane there is a barber showing photographs
    • HFSG
« Reply #16448 on: November 30, 2017, 11:32:37 am »
Has anyone used Mobile Phones Direct to order before?!?!?

Ordered an iPhone X which was accepted by the network and all sorted on Saturday. Thursday today and it still says 'order awaiting handset release'. I'm going to give them a call in a bit but last time on the phone to them was a disaster.

I failed an initial security check as they said the card I used wasn't one they accepted yet they still charged me. At first they said they couldn't tell me why I failed the check as they don't know, then when I said I'd call Vodafone to ask they said Vodafone couldn't tell me because it wasn't them that failed the check it was MobilePhonesDirect. When I kindly put it to them that if they failed the check themselves how the fuck could they not know why it failed, I managed to get an answer from them. This new phone is in someone elses name which passed all checks within minutes.

Just seems to be a bit sketchy. They have over 18k reviews on Trustpilot (5 stars) so I assumed it was a good company. What worries me is when I click on 'more info' on my order it actually says 'We are currently awaiting our first shipment of stock for this newly released item'... are they really fucking selling a phone online they haven't had since it came out 4 weeks ago??? Surely that's a mistake.
Justice for the 97

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16449 on: November 30, 2017, 08:38:56 pm »
Why would you buy a phone from them?

Offline S.Red please

• SerbianRed ;)
  • Legacy Fan
    • HFSG
« Reply #16450 on: November 30, 2017, 10:34:42 pm »
Why would you buy a phone from them?

Because they had a really good deal for the iPhone X and over 18 thousand good reviews, my uncle has used them before no problem which I only just found out so maybe Apple are just being slow with stock.

Have you used them?
Justice for the 97

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16451 on: December 1, 2017, 07:30:05 am »
On the product page it does say estimated delivery is 1-2 weeks

Offline S.Red please

• SerbianRed ;)
  • Legacy Fan
    • HFSG
« Reply #16452 on: December 1, 2017, 11:59:50 am »
On the product page it does say estimated delivery is 1-2 weeks

It does now yes (was saying next day delivery when I ordered). I had a chat with them over the phone and they said Apple aren't sending enough handsets to cope with the amount of orders. Understandable really, I'm fairly happy to wait anyway just some of the reviews worried me. People ordering early November and still not getting anything. I've had a look and most other retailers are the same. I can't really afford to go direct to provider so I'll wait it out.
Justice for the 97

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16453 on: December 1, 2017, 12:03:04 pm »
Ha, typically blaming Apple when they'd have known full well what quantity they'd be getting on launch. False delivery dates to get the order secured - not the first time I've seen that.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16454 on: December 2, 2017, 11:25:19 am »
Nah, not getting tempted in by the iPhone X, no matter what. It's incredible how pricey it really is, when it costs of production are minuscule in comparison. I reluctantly paid for the iPhone 4, 5 and 6 - but it's taking the piss now how quickly it needs replacing and how much the newer models cost. Not worth getting an iPhone 5/6 second-hand now either, since it can barely run the software or keep up with its demands.

Just sticking to my old iPhone 6 now, which has a range of problems including cutting out randomly at 30-40% and being slow. Maybe in 10 years time when the X is cheaper I'll get that...

You're talking about the cost of the parts alone. You're not factoring in the R&D costs, tooling, wages, advertising and promotion of the phone. When all that is factored in they make a profit for sure but probably no more than they've previously done.

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16455 on: December 5, 2017, 03:04:55 pm »
A couple of weeks in, and I really cannot say enough good things about the X.  The screen is simply superb, being able to go brighter and darker than my old phone.  The sound is much better - including a better maximum volume.  I get a full two days on the battery with normal usage. Swiping up instead of a back button is more intuitive and something that should've been implemented sooner.  Face ID is more reliable and quick than the fingerprint id.  I've not really tried hard to fool it, but it really doesn't open without my attention being on the screen.

All in all, I repeat my earlier claim that this is the best phone I've ever used.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16456 on: December 5, 2017, 03:08:24 pm »
So how does the Face ID work? Say if I have my phone on a stand on my desk, locked, and I glanced at it would it unlock? Or if I got a notification and I looked at it would it automatically unlock?

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #16457 on: December 5, 2017, 03:09:05 pm »
So how does the Face ID work? Say if I have my phone on a stand on my desk, locked, and I glanced at it would it unlock? Or if I got a notification and I looked at it would it automatically unlock?

With my girlfriends phone she just picks it up and looks at it and it unlocks.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16458 on: December 5, 2017, 03:30:42 pm »
Check out Envirofone.

I've used them in the past and at the time they were offering the most out of anyone and was a great service. Believe EXTRA5 still works to get an additional 5% too (try EXTRA10 but not sure it works anymore).

number all sorted so just sent off for me pack, £238 with that extra5 code, cheers Craig! :D

Oh, do you know what accessories they expect with it? is it just the plug and wire? I have the box, wondering about headphones.

It works really well, it unlocks if the screen is on and you're looking at it (if you just touch it to check the time it'll come on but not unlock straight away, you have to interact again). If you get a notification and you look at the phone, it will unlock but it stays on the lock screen. Though I have noticed if I'm out with the dog and wearing a hat or something that covers my forehead it doesn't recognise me ;D

I have driven Jon mad sending him animoji videos cos they're fucking awesome ;D
« Last Edit: December 5, 2017, 04:02:48 pm by Claire. »

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16459 on: December 5, 2017, 03:36:14 pm »

It only unlocks if I pick it up and look directly at it.  For notifications, they come up blank.  When you look at it, it unlocks and gives a preview of the notification. It's pretty intuitive.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16460 on: December 5, 2017, 05:05:42 pm »
number all sorted so just sent off for me pack, £238 with that extra5 code, cheers Craig! :D

Oh, do you know what accessories they expect with it? is it just the plug and wire? I have the box, wondering about headphones.

It works really well, it unlocks if the screen is on and you're looking at it (if you just touch it to check the time it'll come on but not unlock straight away, you have to interact again). If you get a notification and you look at the phone, it will unlock but it stays on the lock screen. Though I have noticed if I'm out with the dog and wearing a hat or something that covers my forehead it doesn't recognise me ;D

I have driven Jon mad sending him animoji videos cos they're fucking awesome ;D

Hi Claire Envirofone just want the phone itself, I sent my old 6 to them recently and was paid in full despite not providing a charger or headphones. Make sure it’s wiped and fully charged before sending though, you don’t want to risk them saying it won’t turn on.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline aaronaldo

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA
« Reply #16461 on: December 5, 2017, 05:15:53 pm »
It only unlocks if I pick it up and look directly at it.  For notifications, they come up blank.  When you look at it, it unlocks and gives a preview of the notification. It's pretty intuitive.

Do you not have to look at it and then swipe up to unlock with face id?

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16462 on: December 5, 2017, 05:47:01 pm »
Yeah I only sent the phone. No charge, wires, boxes, etc.

Make sure to unlink the phone from your iTunes account in the settings.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16463 on: December 5, 2017, 07:14:31 pm »
Hi Claire Envirofone just want the phone itself, I sent my old 6 to them recently and was paid in full despite not providing a charger or headphones. Make sure it’s wiped and fully charged before sending though, you don’t want to risk them saying it won’t turn on.

Yeah I only sent the phone. No charge, wires, boxes, etc.

Make sure to unlink the phone from your iTunes account in the settings.

Cheers lads, couldn't see it on their site but others mentioned the charger so wasn't sure. I packed it up in the box with a wire and the charger so I'll just take them out ;D

I've fully charged it, removed the sim and removed it from find my iPhone and done a full reset so all good to go!

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16464 on: December 5, 2017, 07:15:16 pm »
Do you not have to look at it and then swipe up to unlock with face id?

To open it you swipe up, but it's unlocked like it is when you use fingerprint.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16465 on: December 6, 2017, 11:53:15 am »
I hate adverts but I think this is class.  ;D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Kkq8a6AV3HM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Kkq8a6AV3HM</a>

Offline aaronaldo

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA
« Reply #16466 on: December 7, 2017, 09:58:42 am »
Anyone found any quality cases for the X? using a bog standard one from Amazon at the moment

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16467 on: December 7, 2017, 02:08:36 pm »
I've got the apple silicone one, it's very grippy but as a result does attract dust and things.

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #16468 on: December 7, 2017, 11:39:28 pm »
iphone help please for an old fart  ;D
right i use a Moto g5 .. £11 pm ... enough for me, sorted  8).. i know nish about iphones.
Anyway, i gave my older sister (over 50) a new iphone 4s in white several years ago, sim free she's on 3 at £12 pm & time for an upgrade  ;D
So which iphone model do you think i should get her that's either sim-free or maybe start a new contract.. Not the latest, but a good older model for a minimal user ?
she phones, txts, email, facebook & photo's.. that's about it ... to keep in contact with her daughter
so a an older iphone that is still ok..  ::)

Thanks for any help... ta.  :-*
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #16469 on: December 8, 2017, 01:38:13 am »
iphone help please for an old fart  ;D
right i use a Moto g5 .. £11 pm ... enough for me, sorted  8).. i know nish about iphones.
Anyway, i gave my older sister (over 50) a n

ew iphone 4s in white several years ago, sim free she's on 3 at £12 pm & time for an upgrade  ;D
So which iphone model do you think i should get her that's either sim-free or maybe start a new contract.. Not the latest, but a good older model for a minimal user ?
she phones, txts, email, facebook & photo's.. that's about it ... to keep in contact with her daughter
so a an older iphone that is still ok..  ::)

Thanks for any help... ta.  :-*

Try the iPhone SE.

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16470 on: December 8, 2017, 08:38:08 am »
Try the iPhone SE.

Yep, definitely the iPhone SE.
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
« Reply #16471 on: December 8, 2017, 07:43:21 pm »
Currently got an iPhone 6 and needing an upgrade.  Can't justify the price of the X, so looking at the 7 Plus or 8 Plus, as I fancy one of the bigger models now.

Is the extra cost of the 8 Plus (over the 7 Plus) worthwhile?

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16472 on: December 9, 2017, 06:31:54 pm »
Try the iPhone SE.

Thanks... will have a look see..  :wave

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16473 on: December 12, 2017, 11:59:07 pm »
Currently got an iPhone 6 and needing an upgrade.  Can't justify the price of the X, so looking at the 7 Plus or 8 Plus, as I fancy one of the bigger models now.

Is the extra cost of the 8 Plus (over the 7 Plus) worthwhile?

A friend wen to an 8 plus from a 6 and loves it.  Battery and screen are great apparently. My missus has gone from 7 plus to the X and thinks it's a massive improvement. She didn't find much difference between the 6plus and 7plus.

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16474 on: December 13, 2017, 05:32:47 pm »
Pay the extra and get an X. I wasn’t sure before I bought it as didn’t like the notch - but absoltely love the phone. Much better and slicker than I expected, as it seems the last few iterations had been too similar and I had ceased to get excited despite upgrading every year.

The form factor is perfect, I was getting embarrassed by the 7+. Comedy the size of that phone looking back, like a breeze block in my pocket.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 05:35:35 pm by JamesG L4 »
---It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love-- william melvin hicks

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16475 on: December 19, 2017, 08:09:30 pm »
Thanks again for the pointers to the iPhone SE.. lot's of cheap deals around £14 pm ideal for my sister (low usage)..(the phone, not my sister)   8)

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16476 on: December 20, 2017, 12:32:45 pm »
Still massively torn between the X and the Note 8. Convince me people.

Stick with the 6 for now.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #16478 on: December 21, 2017, 04:06:21 pm »
Apple has confirmed the suspicions of many iPhone owners by revealing it does deliberately slow down some models of the iPhone as they age.
For good reason...  quite sensible I thought....

Replace the battery and it goes faster.. the phone adapts to the condition of your battery.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16479 on: December 21, 2017, 05:36:03 pm »