Author Topic: Sir Roger Hunt  (Read 17441 times)

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
Re: Sir Roger Hunt
« Reply #200 on: September 29, 2021, 12:42:27 am »
United vs Liverpool '68.

Brilliant match.

Hunt scores the winner in front of the Stretford End, playing a brilliant, one, two with Hateley then makes the finish look easy.

Hunt's winner is two minutes in, but the whole video is worth the watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA7P8jFjFSQ
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 12:45:45 am by Billy Elliot »
With me 3 star jumper half way up me back!

Offline trotter58

• Boys Pen
  • We are the one and only Wanderers!
« Reply #201 on: September 29, 2021, 12:55:16 am »
Ended his career at Bolton, the club he supported.

Signed by Nat Lofthouse, his boyhood hero.

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2021/september/roger-hunt-1938-2021/

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #202 on: September 29, 2021, 01:05:52 am »
United vs Liverpool '68.

Brilliant match.

Hunt scores the winner in front of the Stretford End, playing a brilliant, one, two with Hateley then makes the finish look easy.

Great stuff . I loved the Chris Lawler bit .
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 01:09:31 am by kesey »
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline RedBootsTommySmith

• Kopite
« Reply #203 on: September 29, 2021, 01:22:24 am »
Lawrence
Lawler
Byrne
Milne
Yeats
Stevenson
Callaghan
Hunt
St.John
Smith
Thompson

.... same as last year, boys!

(OK, Geoff Strong & Alf Arrowsmith got a shout now & again)

RIP, Roger.

I remember a game at Anfield 69-ish, when Shankly subbed Roger for the first time. Everyone in the ground was stunned. Hunt threw his shirt at the dug-out as he stormed off... and you sensed it was the end of an era. Glad he had a few solid years at Bolton beyond that (as did Peter Thompson, later on, if I remember correctly). Roger, so strong on the ball, power in both feet, but in my mind his strength was his ability to make half a yard for himself and conjure a goal when nothing seemed 'on'. Him & the Saint will be knocking in a few upstairs, now, I think.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 01:29:45 am by RedBootsTommySmith »
Victorious and glorious....

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #204 on: September 29, 2021, 01:46:30 am »
Everton tweeted this today, it's such a great picture, must have been great to be there.

Everton
@Everton
Our thoughts are with Roger Hunt's loved ones and everyone at
@LFC
 at this sad time. RIP.

We were magnificent that day. Totally dominated them even though it was only 1-0. Sir Roger scored the winner with a great shot. The Park End went mental. Great day. Thank you Sir Roger.

Sadly a week or so later they signed Alan Ball and a few weeks after that he inspired them to a 3-1 win in the first league derby of the season plus a 1-0 win later that season in the famous FA cup match where 64000 watched at Goodison and 46,000 watched on big screens at Anfield. What a horrible journey home that was on the 68 bus full of gloating Blues.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #205 on: September 29, 2021, 01:51:13 am »
Great story from "nickmannion" at https://discussion.theguardian.com/comment-permalink/152170656

A long story as short as possible.

1965 and my gran insists I say hello to the famous (as fame went in '65) footballer who was courting the girl next door but one. An awkward 6 yr old shook his hand and he gave me an autograph and made me laugh and a lifelong devotion to a player/club was born.

My first time seeing him play was 67/8 when my uncle took me to watch Liverpool v Blackpool. We were in the paddock and he sat me on the wall as the players warmed up. A bullet headed Scot prowling the sidelines said 'ye alright son?' 'I've come to see Roger play' 'Aye there's 11 guys in tangerine come to do that too'

He scored twice.

1970 am long term seriously ill in hospital, life threatening at first. Via my gran word got to Roger that this little lad who worshipped him was in dire straits. He came to visit me unnanounced. Sat for 30 mins and brought in and gave me to hold an England cap, one of his league medals, his FA Cup medal and I think a Euro Comp. losers medal.

Then out of his jacket pocket in a velvet box in my hands to open...yes...his World Cup winners medal. Aside: In the private ward was a parent of someone as world famous as possible in 1970. A nurse told visiting son about my plight and he came to the childrens ward to chat for 10 mins and I bored George Harrison all about Roger Hunt!

Fast forward to 1982. Me working in a pub, busy tea time shift full of a gang of lads talking bollox about the coming world cup in Spain...Keegan this/Robson that/Mariner the other...

A lorry cab had pulled in to the car park and the driver came in and ordered his bar meal and half and was sat no more than 5 yards from the 'knowledgeable' footie crew. Not one recognised they had a World Cup winner in the same room.

I went over to collect his plate and glass with a 'you wont remember me but...' to thank him. He asked how I was and how my gran was and remembered his visit.

For everything you ever did on the field and for the above showing what an exemplary and humble human being you were I want to express my heartfelt thanks and it is a while since I have shed a tear but today is the day I did again.

Thanks so much for posting this. What a fitting tribute in this fine thread and what a fantastic insight into the true stature of the man. A true gent, an incredible footballer and a truly decent man. God bless you Sir Roger Hunt.

Offline Kalito

• Legacy Fan
  • ***JFT97***
« Reply #206 on: September 29, 2021, 02:16:29 am »
RIP, Sir Roger.

True Gent. Humble and down to earth.

You'll Never Walk Alone, Sir.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Mr Bill Shankly

"be careful of media, they can make you hate the oppressed and love the oppressors." - Malcolm X

The notion that an Occupier is defending itself is as absurd as the notion that the rapist is defending itself from the victim.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #207 on: September 29, 2021, 02:19:35 am »
United vs Liverpool '68.

Brilliant match.

Thanks so much for posting that. Never seen it before.

Was in the Scoreboard end to witness it. So fitting you’ve posted it in this thread because I honestly believe that ranks as Sir Roger’s finest ever performance for the Reds. And believe me that really is saying something when you consider how many great performances he gave us. But that particular day I just recall he seemed almost unplayable. Looking at the highlights it looks a pretty even contest but that in no way reflects the full game.

We bossed it from start to finish and sure Bestie as ever was a menace but his were fleeting moments against a white shirted tide.

I never did figure out quite why but in that game Shanks deployed our wonderful number 8 striker in a midfield role and he did completely run the show. Bobby Charlton in a similar role for United could get nowhere near him. Roger was inspired; magnificent from start to finish and, of course, rounded off his performance with that terrific winner. And the thing was he was nearing the end of his career here by then which made his performance all the more remarkable.

A fantastic memory of a great day and such a fitting watch on this sad day for us older Reds but nevertheless a great way to celebrate one of the greatest ever Liverpool footballers. Also a great bonus cameo of our wonderful Emlyn playing such a terrific game at left back in his first season with us.

Once again tonight God Bless you Sir Roger Hunt. That day you most certainly were wonderful and full of health full of go and full of vigour.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #208 on: September 29, 2021, 07:11:14 am »
United vs Liverpool '68.

Brilliant match.

great that, Traveling Kop at the end going mad  :scarf

And right at the very end George Best deep in conversation with Tommy Lawrence and laughing as they go down the tunnel.- Great clip

Offline Homesick

• Main Stander
  • Dragged up in Bootle
« Reply #209 on: September 29, 2021, 07:39:33 am »
Wednesday 14 December 1966.
Liverpool v Ajax. Game ended up 2-2
There was thick fog at Anfield.
Almost 55,000 fans packed in.
I was a 14-year-old on the Kop.
We couldn't even see the halfway line.
Heard a roar from the Anfield Road end.
The Kop sang: "Who scored the goal, who scored the goal, ee aye adio who scored the goal".
The Anny Road End replied: "Sir Roger Hunt, Sir Roger Hunt, ee aye adio, Sir Roger Hunt."
Happy days.
Trust those who seek the truth but doubt those who say they have found it.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #210 on: September 29, 2021, 09:54:26 am »
great that, Traveling Kop at the end going mad  :scarf

And right at the very end George Best deep in conversation with Tommy Lawrence and laughing as they go down the tunnel.- Great clip

What a terrific piece of film. Pace and power and skill and a red hot atmosphere. Sir Roger had a stormer.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: September 29, 2021, 10:08:06 am »
We were magnificent that day. Totally dominated them even though it was only 1-0. Sir Roger scored the winner with a great shot. The Park End went mental. Great day. Thank you Sir Roger.

Sadly a week or so later they signed Alan Ball and a few weeks after that he inspired them to a 3-1 win in the first league derby of the season plus a 1-0 win later that season in the famous FA cup match where 64000 watched at Goodison and 46,000 watched on big screens at Anfield. What a horrible journey home that was on the 68 bus full of gloating Blues.

Showed my Uncle (on my Ma's side) that photo and he said he was there with my dad (no longer with us). Told me it was the Charity Shield, which I didn't know.

My Uncle is completely gutted, it must be horrible, as some have said to have lost a bit more of your childhood (although my Uncle and Dad would have been older than Timbo, etc.).

It's like how I'm going to feel when Dalglish or Rush goes (assuming I don't go before them!).
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 10:30:42 am by Billy Elliot »

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: September 29, 2021, 10:20:44 am »
What a terrific piece of film. Pace and power and skill and a red hot atmosphere. Sir Roger had a stormer.

I love that goal. The vision from both Hunt and Hateley (was told the blues used to chant "not worth a hape'ny" back at us when we chanted his name) was great. And the way Hunt opens his body just before slotting it in.

It's the type of goal that a young kid would watch and think, "what's so good?". It's so good because it all looks so simple. And it all looks so simple, because he's so good!

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #213 on: September 29, 2021, 11:33:22 am »
'Sir Roger'

Knighted by the Kop, no need of sword.
My boyhood hero, with every goal scored.
On my red jersey, I wore number 8.
A record maker, a legend, an all time great.
He helped achieve Bill Shankly's dream.
Part of Ramsey's World Cup winning team.
On and off the pitch, a well deserved 'Sir'
Struck a thunderous shot through the air.
One of the greatest players we'll ever see.
Still my favourite ever Red, if you ask me!
So at number 8 or number 21.
He was my childhood hero, second to none.
His flag, next game will take pride of place.
'Sir Roger' a man of skill, a man of grace.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 11:42:58 am by mikeb58 »
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
« Reply #214 on: September 29, 2021, 01:26:31 pm »
Don’t know why but the sad news really affected me and it forced me to reflect on what great football times we enjoyed all brought about by the Shankly management and the start of becoming the huge world famous club we are today.

Like Timbo and others we served our time in the boys pen before graduating to the Kop. Roger was there when Shanks arrived and whilst all great teams need class in every position the goal scorer is key and we have been blessed with so many great ones. Shanks put him in as he recognised that he allied hard work for the team as well as goal scorer in chief. I saw him score on his debut as all the greats that followed him seem to do.

So many memorable goals as described in this excellent thread to one of our all time greats.

I decided his most memorable goals for me were at the beginning of May ‘65. The first goal after 3 minutes of extra time v Leeds when he stooped to head home ‘Crunches’ cross to set us on our way.

Then 3 days later his rasping shot from 20 yards which flew into the Internationale net after just 4 minutes. They had bragged how their defence was impenetrable thanks to Catenaccio or dead-bolt system they played. Not when Roger was on the pitch. If the roar that greeted the FACup being paraded around Anfield was loud it was eclipsed when Roger’s shot hit the net past a motionless keeper.

Thanks Roger for all you did during your time at LFC.

Thoughts go to his family and friends. RIP.
We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Offline Corbykop

• Main Stander
« Reply #215 on: September 29, 2021, 02:22:26 pm »
Fantastic stories and tributes on here to a childhood hero and just a wonderful ambassador for LFC!

Imagine the amount of goals he would get in this team today with all the chances we create and miss not to mention the billiard tables they play on and not like the glue pots of Sir Roger's day!

RIP SIR ROGER HUNT a true legend never to be forgotten. 

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: September 29, 2021, 02:56:46 pm »
Lovely to see so many tributes, it seems like lots of our true greats have been taken in the last couple of years.

Roger Hunt was before my time, but as a kid his name and deeds were spoken of in almost reverential tones by older family members, a fair few of whom were blues, but that didn't matter to them. Many blues of that generation used to go to Anfield when Everton were away and likewise reds did the same at Goodison. There was a respect and admiration for each others greats.

Having had so many great players over the years I've come to rely on the fantastic LFC history site to help me put into perspective what a Liverpool legend is. Of course there's lots of definitions and opinions, but for me the top 100 appearance makers / players with >200 games, the top 50 goalscorers / scorers of >50 goals, is a good starting point. Then we have involvement in winning major trophies and also behaviour and attitude towards the club.

Roger Hunt scores highly on all these counts, but every time I look at the goalscorers list, there he is. 285 in 492. Only beaten by 1 man.

His appearance record was bettered only by 14 players and as a double league winner, that really does put him in the top echelon.
Just sorry I never got to see him play. RIP Roger and thoughts with his family.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 03:29:22 pm by Charlie Adams fried egg »

Offline TAA66

• Kopite
  • Nobody grows up wanting to be a Gary Neville
« Reply #217 on: September 29, 2021, 03:15:47 pm »
RIP Sir Roger

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #218 on: September 29, 2021, 03:20:25 pm »
Rest in peace to an all time great. The club's fabric is made from people like Roger and the indelible marks they leave on the club. A proper gentleman he was by all accounts too. Such a shame, we've lost some great ones lately.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: September 29, 2021, 04:05:15 pm »
Another great from this era passes away.  An absolute legend of the game.  Before my time, but I've got some great footage of him playing for us.

Football and footballers are just so different now.

Offline LiverBirdKop

• A moron. Twice. No flies on their nullshit
  • Legacy Fan
  • 51,077 Deleted
« Reply #220 on: September 29, 2021, 04:08:20 pm »
RIP Sir Roger.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: September 29, 2021, 04:21:39 pm »
Scored the first goal I ever witnessed Liverpool slot home.
SAT 18 JAN 1969 Chelsea 1 Liverpool 2
Go gently, Sir Roger.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: September 29, 2021, 05:44:00 pm »
This is the 1969/70 squad pic. All signed at the time but faded now. I don't think Hunt played many games after this.

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #223 on: September 29, 2021, 08:42:26 pm »
RIP, Sir Roger.

True Gent. Humble and down to earth.

You'll Never Walk Alone, Sir.
Couldn't have said it better.  :) R.I.P., Sir Roger.

Offline Manila Vanilla

• aka Spud Balls!
  • Legacy Fan
    • Baile Family Website
« Reply #224 on: September 29, 2021, 10:47:09 pm »
I was at that one too.
It was the game where we believed Roger had overtaken Gordon Hodgson's total to become record scorer. They did a recount some years later and found he'd only equalled it. It was broken a bit later.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #225 on: September 29, 2021, 11:22:47 pm »
Go gently, Sir Roger.

Same here, two weeks earlier against Doncaster Rovers in the FA cup

I also got to see the Doncaster legend that was Allick Jeffrey, I was aware of him (because of family connections to Doncaster). Made his debut at 15, scored prolifically (34 in 71 aged 15-17) such that United were going to buy him (he would have been in the Munich Plane crash) but he broke his leg at age 17. Had to retire but came back to play again (unheard of really) 7 years later and was top scorer in the whole league in 1965 before getting another 95 goals for Doncaster before leaving them not long after this game. I mention him because he would have been a legend but for that leg break and may have even kept Sir Roger out of that 1966 team had he survived Munich?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 11:50:29 pm by Black Bull Nova »
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #226 on: September 29, 2021, 11:26:45 pm »
United vs Liverpool '68.

Brilliant match.

Wonderful video, some great names on show, that's about a month before United won the European Cup (CL for you youngsters)

I'd forgotten what a strong runner Roger was.

The other thing I noticed was I was expecting VAR after the disallowed goal and penalty claim and we didn't even have a slow motion replay. They just got on with it, which they also appeared to do when the ball went out and hit the stanchion and came back into play.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #227 on: September 29, 2021, 11:38:14 pm »
Unfortunately a bit before my time but what I have seen, read and heard about Sir Roger chimes perfectly with his status as an all time great.

RIP
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #228 on: September 30, 2021, 06:44:51 am »
Lawrence
Lawler
Byrne
Milne
Yeats
Stevenson
Callaghan
Hunt
St.John
Smith
Thompson

.... same as last year, boys!

(OK, Geoff Strong & Alf Arrowsmith got a shout now & again)

Just printing that line-up brings back so many memories. Couldn't last for ever, of course, but I still have the feeling I had then: if you put that lot on the pitch, you could take on anybody.
"Ders fuck'n arms goin in, ders fuck'n legs goin in, ders de 'ole fuck'n yuman fuck'n body goin in."  - expression of admiration from kopite behind me, Leeds v. L'pool, late '60s.

Offline Corbykop

• Main Stander
« Reply #229 on: September 30, 2021, 08:05:44 am »
Just printing that line-up brings back so many memories. Couldn't last for ever, of course, but I still have the feeling I had then: if you put that lot on the pitch, you could take on anybody.

What a team that was and the names just roll off the tongue like an institution and sadly only Lawler, Milne, Rowdy, Stevo and Cally still with us

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #230 on: October 1, 2021, 03:08:14 pm »
Was enough that my old man considered him a true legend.

I've never been a "minutes applause" person, I really hope we stick to a minutes silence for a real legend on Sunday.

Offline free_at_last

• Legacy Fan
  • we all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #231 on: October 2, 2021, 04:25:59 am »
I'm sure I was at a game at Turf Moor where we won 2-0 and Sir Roger scored and broke the scoring record. It may have been League goals only but I distinctly remember it being a scoring record because we had been waiting a few games for him to get it. Does anybody have a better memory of that?

RIP Sir Roger Hunt - a Liverpool Legend. YNWA

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
« Reply #232 on: October 2, 2021, 09:36:05 am »
I'm sure I was at a game at Turf Moor where we won 2-0 and Sir Roger scored and broke the scoring record. It may have been League goals only but I distinctly remember it being a scoring record because we had been waiting a few games for him to get it. Does anybody have a better memory of that?

RIP Sir Roger Hunt - a Liverpool Legend. YNWA

Roger scored the first 2 goals in a 4-0 win at Turf Moor in Oct ‘68. So you are probably correct if you have blanked the other 2 out! Didn’t score again on that ground so it could well be the record for League goals that he broke that day but I’m not sure.

Edit. Roger broke the record for League goals in Feb ‘69 when he scored the only goal in a 1-0 win over Sheffield Wednesday. It was his 234th goal.
« Last Edit: October 2, 2021, 09:43:48 am by redtel »
We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Offline Thepooloflife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #233 on: October 2, 2021, 01:17:27 pm »
So sad to hear of yet another great Red passing away - I suppose it's that time now given the period they played in. What can one say about Roger Hunt that hasn't already been said. I only caught the back end of his time at Anfield, but I always remember the chant from the Kop........'Sir Roger Hunt, Sir Roger Hunt - Ee Aye Addio, Sir Roger Hunt !'
Which sums it up for me....Sir Roger Hunt, Liverpool Legend. RIP.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #234 on: October 11, 2021, 10:21:25 am »
This is the 1969/70 squad pic. All signed at the time but faded now. I don't think Hunt played many games after this.

That must be the famous photo, where they stuck Alun Evans' head on Hateley's body - unless Evans was taller than Yeatsy.

As for Roger, can't do him justice with mere words. Everyone's childhood hero, workhorse, battering ram, poacher, the lot. RIP Sir Roger.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline WaterfordRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #235 on: October 11, 2021, 11:50:04 am »
RIP Sir Roger. Thanks for the memories. Thanks for everything.
SOS 8040

Offline Lord Roger Hunt

• Elevated to the RAWK Peerage. Furious Legend In His Own Lunchtime.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Humans were harmed in the making of this picture
« Reply #236 on: October 11, 2021, 10:52:23 pm »

I was in the Kop when Sir Roger was pulled off and he threw his shirt into the dugout - I was shocked beyond belief, he was my hero….. :(
From the Country of Liverpool

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: October 11, 2021, 11:03:26 pm »
I was in the Kop when Sir Roger was pulled off and he threw his shirt into the dugout - I was shocked beyond belief, he was my hero….. :(
Although he was supposed to have played his last game in December '69 (I think), there's something planted from the back of my very, very young mind that he left shortly after the pic was taken. I just remember being told something when I was given it.
My mum knew a bloke that knew someone at the club and I was handed all kinds of memorabilia weekly, great times mate.

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: October 12, 2021, 12:20:48 pm »

I was in the Anfield Road. I was shocked by it; the event itself but who was actually doing it. It was against Leicester and it was only the first or second sub that Shankly had made since the rule came, in so it was a surprise to see Roger called off with absolutely no warning or word from the bench.

Offline free_at_last

• Legacy Fan
  • we all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #239 on: October 12, 2021, 11:39:59 pm »
Roger scored the first 2 goals in a 4-0 win at Turf Moor in Oct ‘68. So you are probably correct if you have blanked the other 2 out! Didn’t score again on that ground so it could well be the record for League goals that he broke that day but I’m not sure.

Edit. Roger broke the record for League goals in Feb ‘69 when he scored the only goal in a 1-0 win over Sheffield Wednesday. It was his 234th goal.
You're right, I must have blanked the 2 goals after Sir Roger's :) . The goal that mattered was the first goal - my memory of it was that there were 4 defenders round him and he just turned and shot in typical fashion but there's a photo on this link of 2 defenders and the goalie:
https://www.nationalfootballmuseum.com/halloffame/roger-hunt/

I'm sure it was some record(maybe away goals) but I'll have to keep digging.
Edit: No mention in the match report:
https://www.lfchistory.net/SeasonArchive/Game/475
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 10:31:59 am by free_at_last »