Author Topic: What was the last book you read?  (Read 586845 times)

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
Re: What was the last book you read?
« Reply #8280 on: September 3, 2022, 09:23:54 am »
Has anyone read the "The New York Trilogy" by Paul Auster

I got it when I was off on a 'good reading' kick and it had high recommendations. I first read it and although found it a bit tedious, convinced myself that it was good and a deep book about innate knowledge

I read it again recently and it's absolute total utter shite.

I started reading that a few years back as people said he's similar to Murakami (probably my favourite author).

Agree that I found it terrible and gave up after a bit.

I recently finished 'The woman in the Dunes' which was strange but quite good.

Now 3/4 the way through of 'Pachinko' and it's probably the best read of 2022 for me alongside 'Piranesi'.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline tray fenny

• virtue signaling keyboard warrior
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8281 on: September 4, 2022, 09:05:26 pm »
The Second Summer of Love by Alun Shulman. Honestly, 4 mates invented acid house raves, fortunatley they knew fashion magazine writers, fanzine editors, photographers, club owners & promoters. Thank fuck, imagine if they didnt.
'Germany are a very difficult team to play, they had 11 internationals out there today.' - Steve Lomas

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #8282 on: September 5, 2022, 02:07:43 pm »
Finally finished the Deadhouse Gates.

Now reading Memories of Ice.

Deadhouse gates was a really interesting mix of fantasy and history within the world

Spoiler

I'm wondering with all the hints of no-go areas and 'the Fall' that he's going the same direction of Michael Moorcock in his Eternal Champion Series and especially Jerry Cornelius where World War III was hinted at (Also see My Experiences in the Third World War, 1980 by the same author)

[close]
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #8283 on: September 8, 2022, 11:46:41 pm »
Has anyone read the "The New York Trilogy" by Paul Auster

I got it when I was off on a 'good reading' kick and it had high recommendations. I first read it and although found it a bit tedious, convinced myself that it was good and a deep book about innate knowledge

I read it again recently and it's absolute total utter shite.

It is unreadable shite. Just fucking awful.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8284 on: September 14, 2022, 07:31:54 pm »
Has anyone read Stephen King's new book 'Fairy Tale'? I'm 100 or so pages in and fuck all has happened really. Extremely slow burner but going to persevere as he usually doesn't let you down.

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #8285 on: September 14, 2022, 07:33:59 pm »
Has anyone read Stephen King's new book 'Fairy Tale'? I'm 100 or so pages in and fuck all has happened really. Extremely slow burner but going to persevere as he usually doesn't let you down.

Give it time, you're only about 4% in aren't you?  ;)

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #8286 on: September 14, 2022, 11:14:57 pm »
From the Stephen King thread.

Fairy Tale

I was away recently on holidays somewhere Dutch, and I searched out and paid for the hardback of this in English, on a day trip to Utrecht. The following day, I started and finished it. Now, I had a good armchair, a lake view, plenty of cigarettes and beer and a wife mostly willing to leave me alone but still. I can't remember the last time I did that, if ever. Not for a book of more than 500 pages, certainly.

It's a thumper. I saw someone on the twitter machine comment with desperation that there was "no good place to stop". There are echoes of The Hunger Games, King's own The Long Walk and 11/22/63 or Neil Gaiman's Stardust. There are strong whiffs of Narnia about the place, there are evil Kings and good but cursed Princesses, disfigured but kind loners, wicked dwarves and royal insects. The story starts with our almost adult hero dealing with loss, grief and danger in the real world before going to a different sort of reality, and there's a faithful dog who is actually a big thread in the tale. I suspect King had an old dog in the house when he was writing this, and I had one at home being minded by my college age son, so it was plinking a lot of strings for me.

As I've said before in this thread, King can be a bit hit and miss. I went through a phase of not finishing a couple of his books, I just wasn't that bothered, but this one I fucking devoured. He also tends to start big and trail off somewhat but this one keeps going like a train all the way to the finish.

His best in a while.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #8287 on: September 14, 2022, 11:15:52 pm »
Also, Paul Auster is fucking fabulous.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8288 on: September 15, 2022, 11:12:59 pm »
Just finished "the road to unfreedom " by Timothy Snyder. Gives a great insight into Putin and his cabals way of thinking. How he influenced Brexit, Trumps election etc. Also the dangerous path America seems to be on. It's compelling and chilling  and was written in 2018. Warnings aplenty about how countries walk into facism. I dare anyone to read it and not suspect Trump is a russian asset.
I need some fiction now ;D

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #8289 on: September 16, 2022, 08:26:05 am »
Finally got round to Michael Wolff’s “Landslide”, the third part in his disaster-comedy trilogy about the Trump White House. You can tell who his sources are because he’s gushingly positive about them in his depiction of events. It’s the usual gossipy entertainment.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8290 on: September 16, 2022, 09:56:13 am »
Just finishing "Eversion" by Alastair Reynolds.  Got King's "Fairy Tales " up next.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #8291 on: September 16, 2022, 11:42:40 am »
Philip and Alexander: Kings and Conquerors by Adrian Goldsworthy. Goldsworthy does his usual sharp analysis of the quality of sources behind so much of the canon surrounding the two Macedonian kings. If you're at all interested in the military history or the historical time frame, highly recommended.
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8292 on: September 16, 2022, 01:41:22 pm »
Just seen Gabor Mate has a new book out (The Myth of Normal: Trauma, Illness & Healing in a Toxic Culture).

Definitely will be getting it at some stage but maybe when I'm going through a bit of a down period so it has the most impact. A couple of his earlier books changed my life.

You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Online spen71

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8293 on: September 16, 2022, 03:32:57 pm »
I know this thread is dominated by fiction but for those of you who like history and want to see it written from the perspective of those who lost, this is a fantastic book, the peasants revolt, the 1536 'Pilgrimage of Grace' uprising, the general strike, Peterloo and the Chartists, the English Civil War. It just makes you realise how this country has remained in the hands of the establishment by good luck and fortune and how much, over the years, the masses have been controlled and conned.

Frank Mclynn writes in a detailed but really accessible manner, well researched every time

Just got that

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8294 on: September 21, 2022, 11:40:43 am »
I’ve just started Robert Harris’s “Act of Oblivion”, about the manhunt for the regicides of Charles I.

I like all his books, but much prefer his historical novels which are well researched yet very accessible. If you haven’t read them I very much recommend his Cicero trilogy and his book about the Dreyfus Affair.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #8295 on: September 21, 2022, 12:29:41 pm »
I’ve just started Robert Harris’s “Act of Oblivion”, about the manhunt for the regicides of Charles I.

I like all his books, but much prefer his historical novels which are well researched yet very accessible. If you haven’t read them I very much recommend his Cicero trilogy and his book about the Dreyfus Affair.

The research supporting the alt-history in Fatherland is superb...

Online Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #8296 on: September 21, 2022, 02:59:39 pm »

Written by a local lad I went to school with (who is also a red)

Charles I's Executioners: Civil War, Regicide and the Republic – 4 Nov. 2020

by James Hobson
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8297 on: September 21, 2022, 02:59:43 pm »
I really like his WW2 books too. There was one I read recently though that I found a bit lightweight & clunky: Conclave. Just didn’t seem to be his usual standard.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #8298 on: September 21, 2022, 09:38:43 pm »
I really like his WW2 books too. There was one I read recently though that I found a bit lightweight & clunky: Conclave. Just didn’t seem to be his usual standard.

Enjoyed Conclave as it was a pretty quick, easy read but agree it wasn't as meaty as his usual. Munich I thought was a bit phoned-in as well. Really looking forward to AOO though.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8299 on: September 21, 2022, 10:32:15 pm »
Enjoyed Conclave as it was a pretty quick, easy read but agree it wasn't as meaty as his usual. Munich I thought was a bit phoned-in as well. Really looking forward to AOO though.
Yes, agree about Munich. You could say the same with V2, but both enjoyable. He seems to veer from the well researched, yet accessible,  thriller to the fun & lightweight action story. Philip Kerr, when not writing the genius of Bernie Gunther was similar.

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8300 on: September 22, 2022, 02:21:55 pm »

Act of Oblivion is intriguing: it’s difficult that know who to pull for; the parliamentarians who killed the king and go on the run after the return of his son (Charles II) or the regicide-hunter and the other royalists who are tracking them down. On the one hand the “roundheads/parliamentarians” are republicans but puritanical religious zealots who acted as badly as the monarchy did towards common people & their neighbouring countries. Or the royalists who are decadent & eager for revenge and the return of their social order when they reclaim power. Both sides claiming the same God to be on their side yet wholly devoid of mercy. The answer, I guess is both & neither. I suppose that’s the mark of good writing. Imagine having to tip toe around during that period.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #8301 on: September 22, 2022, 07:42:02 pm »
Robert Harris's Fatherland was one of the best books I read, I loved Archangel as well.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #8302 on: September 22, 2022, 08:53:14 pm »
Robert Harris's Fatherland was one of the best books I read, I loved Archangel as well.

Two really superb stories, with believable characters and solid enough research to lend verisimilitude to the alternate histories proposed...

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8303 on: September 22, 2022, 10:11:35 pm »
Two really superb stories, with believable characters and solid enough research to lend verisimilitude to the alternate histories proposed...

Too true, Fatherland terrified me.  ;D

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #8304 on: September 23, 2022, 12:29:53 am »
Too true, Fatherland terrified me.  ;D

Great ending, too, for both main characters; very true to their, well, character demonstrated throughout the narrative.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #8305 on: September 23, 2022, 11:33:53 am »
Sad news - Hilary Mantel, author of the Wolf Hall trilogy, has died aged 70.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8306 on: September 23, 2022, 12:27:33 pm »
Sad news - Hilary Mantel, author of the Wolf Hall trilogy, has died aged 70.

Oh that is sad, far too young. I think her Wolf Hall trilogy was brilliant.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8307 on: September 23, 2022, 12:32:41 pm »
Wolf Hall was amazing, sad news to hear of Hilary's demise at least she was surrounded by her loved ones. That part of history has endless fascination to me.

Online Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8308 on: September 26, 2022, 10:46:42 am »
Just finished China by Edward Rutherfurd and loved it. His books are usually vast, sprawling epics set over hundreds or even thousands of years, akin to James Michener. This one is a bit different and is set from the opium wars to the Boxer rebellion, roughly 60 years.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8309 on: September 26, 2022, 10:53:33 am »
Just pre ordered the Alan Rickman diaries. The guardian has a preview which i guarantee you’ll read in his voice.

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #8310 on: September 26, 2022, 11:33:20 am »
Just finished China by Edward Rutherfurd and loved it. His books are usually vast, sprawling epics set over hundreds or even thousands of years, akin to James Michener. This one is a bit different and is set from the opium wars to the Boxer rebellion, roughly 60 years.

Really enjoyed the Flashman book set during the Taiping Rebellion, Flashman and the Dragon. Would the above be a good choice for someone who followed Flashy's (s)exploits up the Yangtze?

Online Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8311 on: September 26, 2022, 11:59:53 am »
Really enjoyed the Flashman book set during the Taiping Rebellion, Flashman and the Dragon. Would the above be a good choice for someone who followed Flashy's (s)exploits up the Yangtze?

Bit hard to say. It's very different to Flashman but there is a character in that rebellion. The story is about 4 or 5 people and their families over time. Flashy would have liked one of the ladies. Theres interesting parts about feet binding, eunuchs and Brits invading and being twats.

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #8312 on: September 26, 2022, 12:02:32 pm »
Bit hard to say. It's very different to Flashman but there is a character in that rebellion. The story is about 4 or 5 people and their families over time. Flashy would have liked one of the ladies. Theres interesting parts about feet binding, eunuchs and Brits invading and being twats.

Flashman is different to most everything, fair point.  :D

I find the time period fascinating from a historical perspective. How's Rutherford's background research? Never read anyof his stuff, although have read some Michener.

Online Nitramdorf

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8313 on: September 26, 2022, 02:42:18 pm »
Flashman is different to most everything, fair point.  :D

I find the time period fascinating from a historical perspective. How's Rutherford's background research? Never read anyof his stuff, although have read some Michener.

I think hes a great writer. His research must be deep as he spends years writing each book.

Heres a link to his novels,

https://www.fantasticfiction.com/r/edward-rutherfurd/

Sarum is great and is over 1300 pages. London was fantastic, as was Paris.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #8314 on: October 23, 2022, 05:14:02 pm »
Reading act of oblivion by Robert Harris.  About the hunt to find two regicides who fled England after the restoration of the monarchy.

It’s really quite dull to be honest. I somehow don’t care about the hunter or the hunted
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8315 on: October 23, 2022, 05:15:38 pm »
Mrs has bought the Richard Osman book (1st one). Worth a read?

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #8316 on: October 23, 2022, 05:32:56 pm »
It’s an enjoyable whodunnit.  It’s very Osman …. Lots of discussion of biscuits and cakes..
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8317 on: October 23, 2022, 06:00:32 pm »

It's OK. Apparently his 2nd and 3rd are better but not read those.

For anyone who likes mystery, other than a lot of Agatha Christie, I found Anthony Horowitz to be a great mystery writer. His Hawthorne murder books are great and so is his stand alone ones (Magpie Murders and Moonflower Murders).

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8318 on: October 24, 2022, 08:53:37 am »
Reading act of oblivion by Robert Harris.  About the hunt to find two regicides who fled England after the restoration of the monarchy.

It’s really quite dull to be honest. I somehow don’t care about the hunter or the hunted

It`s difficult to warm to religious fantatics, but they book just about gets there in the end by making you hate one lot more than the other!
Not his best book, but i do enjoy the historical research he embellishes.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8319 on: October 24, 2022, 09:40:48 am »
It’s an enjoyable whodunnit.  It’s very Osman …. Lots of discussion of biscuits and cakes..
It's OK. Apparently his 2nd and 3rd are better but not read those.

For anyone who likes mystery, other than a lot of Agatha Christie, I found Anthony Horowitz to be a great mystery writer. His Hawthorne murder books are great and so is his stand alone ones (Magpie Murders and Moonflower Murders).
Cheers. Not normally one for reading but might start on train on the way home or holiday next year.