Author Topic: Squash  (Read 11523 times)

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
Re: Squash
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2013, 08:57:14 pm »
Squash is a small area and its very stop start, giving your heart rate time to come down. Constant jogging, depending on the pace, doesnt. Dont get me wrong though, play squash with someone who knows what they are doing and have you sprinting all over the court is exhausting. Depends on the intensity of the game.
You're not wrong. My Grandad used to be a top ranked Senior in 'Racketlon' (A competitive league where you play other players in Tennis, Squash and Badminton) player right up until he was 62, before he started to calm down a bit. He's pushing 70 now but when I last played him (admittedly getting on for 2 years ago when I was in far worse shape) he seemed like he didn't have to move. Always in position to receive my shot and could have killed it at any point but kept me running around for a laugh. It was humbling , it really was.

I really fancy a game now.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Pheeny

« Reply #41 on: June 9, 2013, 11:21:24 am »
Played my first game for over 20 years this morning,took a while but slowly got the hang of it again.

Played my daughter in law who has never played before so I actually won, as well ;)

Offline El Phes

• Answers to Judith, but only on Thurdays.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Portraits / Weddings / Commercial / Events
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2013, 12:15:41 pm »
Daughter in law has asked me for a game.All I/we need now is some rackets etc and for me to try and remember the rules...

Is this yours Pheeny  :P

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
Squash
« Reply #43 on: December 9, 2013, 06:17:02 pm »
Had a little search, couldn't find a similar thread.

I'm 26, and this sport was my Dad's favourite in his life. He's 70 now, and has arthritis so can no longer play, but he always speaks happily about when he used to play. I had for some reason or another had never played it, apart from throwing the squash balls at my brother when I was 8 ;D, until 5 weeks ago, my flat mate suggested that we play it as a flat, and now five of play 3 times a week for 80 minutes- It's brilliant.

Just wondering if anyone else plays it to discuss it, or has any tips and hints to give regarding strategy. When I first started playing it was a very formulaic 'hit it back' and as long as it was in, that's what mattered. Now I'm getting to the ball earlier I'm able to use the extra half a second to play my opponent around the court at make it more difficult for him. Lobs, drops, different sides of the court etc. Varying up serve.

Cracking little game, playing another 80 minutes tonight to take my mind off my essay and can't wait for it.
« Last Edit: December 9, 2013, 06:46:29 pm by Merry Hijmas »
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #44 on: December 9, 2013, 06:24:53 pm »
Played it in Highschool. Quite decent as well, I got school colors for it.

I tried to play a few years back and was knackered after 30 mins.

Basically the object is to control the T. If you can dictate the game from there you win. Your sole purpose is to get your opponent running around and as far away from the T (now the T is where the straight line halfway down the court meets the vertical line going through the court (see pic). You control the game from there. Basically keep your opponent running away from that. Try not to hit the ball to close to you as that's a foul. Work on your drop shots, while being able to hit the ball to the back of the court is great, a well placed drop shot will kill the point instantly.

« Last Edit: December 9, 2013, 06:27:26 pm by ChakaKhanCDforXmas »

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #45 on: December 9, 2013, 06:26:19 pm »
Quite a good game when you get into it. Not played it since school either. Some 21 years ago.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #46 on: December 9, 2013, 06:50:19 pm »
Cheers for the advice Chakan, yeah, I read about the T and controlling there seemed to come naturally, it's also the best place to be stationed I believe for when your opponent is playing a shot- it makes sense as it's essentially standing in the middle of the box, so where ever they play the ball you are likely to be able to reach it.

How strict are the rules on getting in each others way etc? This is always a bone of contention for all players as we are a fairly competitive bunch. I'll have a read through the rest of the thread now as I'm sure it will be interesting.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: December 9, 2013, 07:04:23 pm »
Yup its the best position to take up before your opponent hits his shot, if you are already there then it means you are doing the right thing, my brother (the bastard) was way better than me, and used to stand on T and make me run from side to side, no matter what I did he was always on the T dictating the game. Used to run me ragged.

If the ball hits you its a stroke, 1 point to your opponent, so if he hits the ball towards the front and hits you instead , it's his point. Although if they do this repeatedly then the ref will award the game to you.

There's 2 different rulings on "getting in each others way" the rule above is called a stroke as well as hitting the ball so close to you that your opponent would be forced to either hit you, or hit the ball into you. That's a stroke. Then there's something called a "let" which is in the opinion of the ref. If your opponent is say at the back of the court and you drop the ball to the front, and your opponent kinda has to go through you to get to it, but will probably get to it then that's a "Best Effort let" meaning you were in the way (somehow) but if you weren't your opponent would probably have gotten to it then the point is a let and replayed.

If it's clear your opponent would never get to the ball but tries to make an effort (with you in the way) it's at the discretion of the ref, but usually those won't be given and the point is awarded to the person playing the shot.

Offline El Phes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2013, 10:21:27 am »
Just wondering if anyone else plays it to discuss it, or has any tips and hints to give regarding strategy.

Try to hit the ball down the side walls (off the front wall, bouncing back to the back wall), parallel and as close to the wall as possible. You'll probably find you'll get some decent rallys going too as your partner will mirror your shot until 1 of you changes direction and then tries to get the ball parallel and close to the other side wall...and repeat!

Offline brownie 09

• Long-winded.....but never mind :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • twitter - brownie09RAWK
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2013, 11:51:06 am »
love squash, not played in a while but got quite good at smashing returns low and hard parallel to wall closest to me. Practically impossible for the other player to get to.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #50 on: August 6, 2014, 01:30:48 pm »
I used to play squash with a colleague at lunch. Great way to burn a few calories and enjoy a bit of banter.
Staying out of the way of the ball was never a problem, resisting the urge to belt it as hard as possible at him when he'd just beaten me after a long rally was much harder. 
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline El Phes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: August 7, 2014, 10:06:09 am »
1 of the lads I play against is a right clumsy twat. He's hit me a few times + loads of near misses. It's not nice and worse when you hear a tiny rubber ball fizzing past your ear or sensing it past your head!

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #52 on: August 8, 2014, 06:16:54 pm »
1 of the lads I play against is a right clumsy twat. He's hit me a few times + loads of near misses. It's not nice and worse when you hear a tiny rubber ball fizzing past your ear or sensing it past your head!

Get out the fucking way then ;)
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2014, 09:27:29 am »
Recently took this up with a mate after joining a gym with two courts, loving it so far.
THOSE AREN'T FINGERS. THOSE ARE SCARF TASSELLS.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2014, 02:18:42 pm »
I now boast an impressive collection of welts and ball-shaped bruises. From a distance I could be mistaken for a gangly, hairless dalmation. To add to those come two permanent scars. One on my chin and - as of last weekend - another dead centre of my top lip. Both as a result of a racket to the face. Suddenly I resemble a gangly, hairless dalmation with facial features baring a slight resemblence to Sam Dingle from Emmerdale.

You can add another to that list; Just above my right eyebrow  :wave

Not a raquet wound this time either, but a result of running full pelt into the side wall. What glorious idiocy. Bled like a bastard as well.

I actually joined my local squash club last year (after getting back from Australia). There's five leagues, with promotion and relegation between each. 6-8 people per league and you play each other over the course of a month, with two going up and two going down. I started in league five and gradually worked my way up to league one (which i'm in now). Some of the people i've played are really very good, which makes the workout exhausting, it really does. It's also very interesting to encounter different styles, which I think (hope?) has improved my awareness and appreciation of the game overall as well. Prior to that I was playing the same two or three people consistently and it really got to a stage whereby we both knew what the next shot was going to be before it was even played. Little too predictable, I guess.

Just wondering if anyone else plays it to discuss it, or has any tips and hints to give regarding strategy.

It's actually a very strategic game, squash. I try and mix things up as much as I can, almost probing to find a weakness in your opponent becauese ultimately, there will be one. Mix up your serves until you find one that they struggle with, for example (lob, drive, long, short, different widths etc), and then hone in on that weakness. If you can put them under pressure and on the back foot from the serve (or return) then you're on the way to controlling the rally and winning the point. Same with general play. As others have said, try and control the centre of the court if you can, but also be aware of where your opponent is and therefore where your next shot needs to go. Dont go for the same shots over and over either because you'll become predictable and if your opponent is good they'll begin reading you quite quickly, so mix it up. Long, short, lobs, drops, different widths and legths. If you can master getting the length and width of the shot right then you can make it extremely difficult without the need for any great power. Try playing some off the side walls as well. The change in direction of the ball will often wrong foot your opponent entirely, and if you get them right, the ball will drop just in, but will be travelling at an angle that makes it very difficult to return should your opponent be anywhere other than the front of the court.

Another thing that I try to do which often bears results, is to take a step (or two) back when your opponent plays the shot and wait for it to come to you, rather than moving into the shot and potentially narrowing your options. That additional split second that you allow yourself can change the entire picture in front of you. Your opponent is likely to make a move anticipating your return, but as you delay it you can wait for that move and then make a decision based on that.

Oh, and resist the urge to step back after service. It kills you instantly if your opponent plays any kind of drop and was something that I used to do a lot. Stay on your toes.

Great game.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 05:30:26 pm by Grobbelrevell »
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline eddymunster

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2014, 03:26:27 pm »
I started playing to lose some weight last year. Was going well and lost nearly a stone. Went over on my ankle and tore a lateral ankle ligament. Put it all back on through inactivity. It was 3 weeks on crutches before I could put any weight on it and best part of 4 months before I could run.

Back playing now though, love it. I play between 2 and 4 nights a week and the weight is dropping off. I'm back down to below what I was before I injured my ankle.

My first advice to anyone looking to start would be, invest in a pair of court shoes, they are invaluable for protecting your ankles.
Brexit (n) - "The undefined being negotiated by the unprepared in order to get the unspecified for the uninformed."

Offline LondonRapLondon

• "Please leave me alone.....These little forum games are annoying."
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2014, 12:36:27 pm »
Quite a good game when you get into it. Not played it since school either. Some 21 years ago.

Quite tough on the knees.  :o

I've got my racket, plenty of courts in and around London. If anybody is up for a match in London hit me up. I hae access to a gym near London Bridge which has a few courts.

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2015, 01:55:28 pm »
Been stepping up the Squash lately, 3-4 sessions a week and have noticed big improvements to my game lately.

Great for the fitness side of things as well.
THOSE AREN'T FINGERS. THOSE ARE SCARF TASSELLS.

Offline Glass Kites

• Anny Roader
  • 5x
    • Blog
« Reply #58 on: December 8, 2015, 07:52:00 pm »
Played against my old fella and a few mates weekly over the last 10 years, but I recently joined a proper league (to play new people) and had my first match tonight.

Everyone I've played over the years always have slight variations over the rules.

Can someone confirm a few things for me (playing in England btw)

Points - Is it 9 points to a game?

Match - Best of 5 games?

8-8 drawing - If a game gets to 8-8, how do you decide to play one or two clear points?

Red lines in/out - I've always played that the red lines on the ground are classed as IN (i.e. from a serve), but the red lines on the walls are OUT. Is this right?

Point check - If I'm confirming the score. Do I always say my points first i.e. 4-1 to me. Or their points first i.e. 1-4?

Serving - If  a serve was clearly below the service line, but I choose to play the stroke anyway. Do we continue the rally. Or pull it back and my point?

Serving after winning a game - If I win a game. Who gets first serve on the next game?

End - Once the match is over (e.g. one of us got to three games) and there's still 5 minutes or so left. Do you try and squeeze another game in, or have a rally to warm down, or just end it?

Cheers in advance guys. Could do with confirming these to saves any awkwardness.
« Last Edit: December 8, 2015, 07:56:16 pm by Glass Kites »

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: December 8, 2015, 07:55:26 pm »
Played against my old fella and a few mates weekly over the last 10 years, but I recently joined a proper league (to play new people) and had my first match tonight.

Everyone I've played over the years always have slight variations over the rules.

Can someone confirm a few things for me (playing in England btw)

Points - Is it 9 points to a game? Yes

Match - Best of 5 games?  Most of the times yes

8-8 drawing - If a game gets to 8-8, how do you decide to play one or two clear points?  Far as I remember the receiving person has the option of calling either 1 or 2, 1 being play to 9 2 meaning play to 10. I also remember you only have to win by 2 clear points if you're in the 5th set.

Red lines in/out - I've always played that the red lines on the ground are classed as IN (i.e. from a serve), but the red lines on the walls are OUT. Is this right?  Far as I remember on the line is out, anywhere in the court.

Point check - If I'm confirming the score. Do I always say my points first i.e. 4-1 to me. Or they're points first i.e. 1-4?  Whoever is serving has their points read out first I think.

Serving - If  a serve was clearly below the service line, but I choose to play the stroke anyway. Do we continue the rally. Or pull it back and my point?  No, it's a false serve regardless if you return it or not.

Serving after winning a game - If I win a game. Who gets first serve on the next game?  I can't remember honestly

End - Once the match is over (e.g. one of us got to three games) and there's still 5 minutes or so left. Do you try and squeeze another game in, or have a rally to warm down, or just end it?  Do whatever your body is telling?

Cheers in advance guys. Could do with confirming these to saves any awkwardness.

I might preface this with I played in South Africa quite awhile ago, so the rules might have changed somewhat.
« Last Edit: December 8, 2015, 08:13:48 pm by Chakan »

Offline just Riggins?

• seeks man with gsoh 28-36. Likes a man in uniform.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: December 8, 2015, 08:11:59 pm »
Got a bit tired of playing football after a good 15 years of playing competitively so been trying other sports for fun, rowing being one and most recently squash.  Surprised how much I've enjoyed it.  Probably joined originally for the social aspect as much as anything but I'm properly into it now.  Great fun.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: December 8, 2015, 11:14:35 pm »
I've played once a week at lunch the past few weeks now, the guy who organises it has tried to get a few people involved but so far it's just me and him, which means I get thrashed every game. Still a lot of fun though, I'm going to work on my backhand this week as I rarely use it and I also need to focus more on getting into a good position after each shot, instead of just standing there like a lemon. We've got a big deadline this week so hopefully next week or in the new year a few others will get involved and I can kick their asses.

Offline just Riggins?

• seeks man with gsoh 28-36. Likes a man in uniform.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2015, 03:37:43 pm »
I've played once a week at lunch the past few weeks now, the guy who organises it has tried to get a few people involved but so far it's just me and him, which means I get thrashed every game. Still a lot of fun though, I'm going to work on my backhand this week as I rarely use it and I also need to focus more on getting into a good position after each shot, instead of just standing there like a lemon. We've got a big deadline this week so hopefully next week or in the new year a few others will get involved and I can kick their asses.

My backhand is atrocious!  Half of the time I'm playing it like I would a tennis backhand because the only other way I can play it is so weak it's effectively a lob.  Obviously that sets me up for them to run in and play it wherever/however they want.  Still lots of fun learning the game though.

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2015, 11:45:17 am »
My backhand is atrocious!  Half of the time I'm playing it like I would a tennis backhand because the only other way I can play it is so weak it's effectively a lob.  Obviously that sets me up for them to run in and play it wherever/however they want.  Still lots of fun learning the game though.

Yeah mine's terrible too, I get plenty of power behind it but always hit the ball way too low, as a result I've ended up taking lots of really awkward swings when I should just do a simple backhand swing. I might see if I can find a squash court close to where I live and go on my own a couple of times to sneak some practice in.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2016, 06:48:47 pm »
Does anybody play in south Liverpool?

Had a brief spell of playing regularly a couple of years back but, between a couple of mates and I, we just got out of the habit.

Tempted to get playing again (I'm abysmal, before anybody asks!).

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #65 on: June 6, 2016, 04:44:09 pm »
By the way, the series of videos available via the one below offer a decent introduction and address many of the questions and issues within this thread:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/4Xse7SZMdcE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/4Xse7SZMdcE</a>

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #66 on: June 8, 2016, 11:16:56 am »
Played an hour and a half of squash against my brother on Sunday, we're both about the same level, just casual players but I'm still feeling it today.  Right arm is crazy sore and my arsecheeks feel like they've got rocks in them.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #67 on: September 1, 2016, 02:14:11 pm »
Played my first couple of matches in the local league this week.  Got beaten 3-0 twice but played two top fellas who were more than happy to be patient and share some tips - improved so much during that second match.

One thing I've noticed is that I feel so much more confident playing with my backhand...with the forearm I feel like I'm flailing a bit!

Good game though!

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #68 on: September 2, 2016, 11:27:09 pm »
By the way, if anyone is in south Liverpool and fancies a game... :wave

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #69 on: October 5, 2016, 09:49:13 pm »
Right arm is crazy sore and my arsecheeks feel like they've got rocks in them.
Still talking about squash, right ;)
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: October 7, 2016, 10:17:38 am »
I've been playing this quite a bit lately, really enjoying it but stuck at a point where the best guy we play with trounces me every time and I comfortably beat the rest, so all of my games are a bit predictable. The better player always gets me with shots that drop into the back corner of the court, I can't for the life of me get enough power into my backhand to return it when there isn't room for a big swing.

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2017, 04:31:55 pm »
Long shot - but if there's anyone here from around Worcestershire - fancy a game now and again?
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2017, 04:14:19 pm »
Long shot - but if there's anyone here from around Worcestershire - fancy a game now and again?

Unfortunately not, however (not sure how close you are to Worcester itself), a glance at Google uncovers a league setup which looks like it's open to join at the moment for the coming season:

http://www.wsraonline.co.uk/contact.asp

Contacts for the different teams and divisions are on the above link.

That would certainly give you some guaranteed games, if you fancied it and it was near enough  :wave
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline ArthurDooley82

• Box-clever, non-pink, manly man's man. Contact for more details. No bibs! Grrrr :)
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2017, 10:58:34 am »
Anyone play racket ball ?

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: September 28, 2017, 03:27:47 pm »
Unfortunately not, however (not sure how close you are to Worcester itself), a glance at Google uncovers a league setup which looks like it's open to join at the moment for the coming season:

http://www.wsraonline.co.uk/contact.asp

Contacts for the different teams and divisions are on the above link.

That would certainly give you some guaranteed games, if you fancied it and it was near enough  :wave

Thanks. I have played a couple of people on that list....and got whopped :(
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid