Author Topic: Unpopular Opinions  (Read 131360 times)

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
Re: Unpopular Opinions
« Reply #1200 on: August 25, 2022, 07:19:14 am »
English cuisine is indeed shite, all bland and flavourless.

Welsh Rarebit though is brilliant

Worcestershire sauce required. That's some sauce that. Think I even like it more than sriracha, different uses but them's premium level sauces.

So I slag England food but Worcestershire sauce is one of their (the English's) finest liquid ingredients

Brown sauce is muck

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1201 on: August 26, 2022, 02:55:06 pm »
I actually like spending a day/night out in Manchester.

It is also a better ran city than ours currently.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1202 on: August 27, 2022, 10:45:50 am »
Lobskaus is Norwegian.

It is. Lobscaws is Welsh though.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1203 on: August 27, 2022, 01:09:01 pm »
I actually like spending a day/night out in Manchester.

It is also a better ran city than ours currently.

I will say this for Manchester

At least they get gigs. Basically a lot of the artists I'd see and even comedians don't play Liverpool

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1204 on: August 27, 2022, 01:37:17 pm »

At least they get gigs. Basically a lot of the artists I'd see and even comedians don't play Liverpool

Yeah that’s true. Why is it people tend to swerve playing here yet do Manchester?

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1205 on: August 27, 2022, 02:16:00 pm »
Yeah that’s true. Why is it people tend to swerve playing here yet do Manchester?

Bigger venues in Manc land, the Manchester Arena holds 21k alone, Liverpool Arena holds only 11k, even the Apollo in Ardwick holds 3.5k, that's bigger than the music venues in Liverpool
#Sausages

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #1206 on: August 27, 2022, 02:33:54 pm »
The Arts Club is a better venue than any smaller ones in Manc though.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1207 on: August 27, 2022, 02:34:03 pm »
Bigger venues in Manc land, the Manchester Arena holds 21k alone, Liverpool Arena holds only 11k, even the Apollo in Ardwick holds 3.5k, that's bigger than the music venues in Liverpool

The artists I like couldn't fill out the Arena anyway, I think this is the answer but for lower capacity buildings. Manchester has better - or even more - gig venues at all levels I reckon, sadly

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1208 on: August 27, 2022, 03:02:48 pm »
The artists I like couldn't fill out the Arena anyway, I think this is the answer but for lower capacity buildings. Manchester has better - or even more - gig venues at all levels I reckon, sadly

Yep, next biggest venue in Liverpool, i think The Empire which only holds 2.3k, rest under 2k, as you say Manchester has better capacity venues at all levels, plus City & United's stadiums seem to host gigs without too much opposition or going through too many hurdles, we had to go through a load of hurdles just to host gigs at Anfield, even then we end up being limited to how many we can host, although might be more to do with laying of the pitch.
#Sausages

Offline ianburns252

• RAWK Economist not the MP spelling and Crosby background differentiate
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gentleman in the streets; freak in the spreadsheet
« Reply #1209 on: August 27, 2022, 11:41:15 pm »

Similar with the band's I'm in to.

Will be the case that there is only enough interest to do one of Liv/Manc

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1210 on: August 28, 2022, 01:44:52 pm »

Who wants to go to fucking Manchester?
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1211 on: August 28, 2022, 01:48:05 pm »
not FdJ apparently.  :)

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #1212 on: August 28, 2022, 03:41:12 pm »

We won't spend our money there. We've gone to see bands in Leeds and Bristol who also had Manc shows on the tour schedule. We'd rather travel to other places and spend money there than go to see bands in Manchester.

Last time I went to Manchester for a show was to see The Cure in the 90s.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1213 on: August 28, 2022, 03:43:14 pm »

Bands who want bigger capacity venues than what we have in Liverpool, even if it's a smallish venue too, not just the big arenas.
#Sausages

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1214 on: August 28, 2022, 04:27:21 pm »

The bands I like
Big bands little bands

Comedians too! Doug Stanhope used to play de Phil but his next visit and the last one -  just zero Liverpool gig

Radiohead didn't play Liverpool. But oh, they can take over the cricket ground in Mancs.

Seeing Godspeed You! Black Emperor next month. Mancsville

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #1215 on: August 29, 2022, 10:54:29 am »

I always figured that it's just a result of the geography of the north west - Manchester venues can draw in visitors from Greater Manchester, Cheshire, Merseyside, and West Yorkshire, whereas our 'draw' is from a less populated area. I find that artists I like very often play just Manchester (of the two), occasionally play both cities, but almost never play only Liverpool. Over recent years, I reckon 75-90% of the gigs I've been to have been in Manchester - it's frustrating & expensive!

The Arts Club is a better venue than any smaller ones in Manc though.

Yes, I think the Arts Club is a cracking venue - been to some cracking gigs in there. Gorilla is very good Manchester venue of a similar size. Steals a march on us when you add the Ritz and the Albert Hall to the mix unfortunately.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #1216 on: August 29, 2022, 11:16:16 am »
I always figured that it's just a result of the geography of the north west - Manchester venues can draw in visitors from Greater Manchester, Cheshire, Merseyside, and West Yorkshire, whereas our 'draw' is from a less populated area. I find that artists I like very often play just Manchester (of the two), occasionally play both cities, but almost never play only Liverpool. Over recent years, I reckon 75-90% of the gigs I've been to have been in Manchester - it's frustrating & expensive!

Yes, I think the Arts Club is a cracking venue - been to some cracking gigs in there. Gorilla is very good Manchester venue of a similar size. Steals a march on us when you add the Ritz and the Albert Hall to the mix unfortunately.
Is Gorilla still open? The Ritz is reasonable. Tbf Manchester does beat us for gig venues but I have nostalgic love for The Arts Club and still think it’s genuinely great.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1218 on: August 29, 2022, 12:23:21 pm »
Great venues in Liverpool

Royal Court
Plaza
Everyman
Bluecoat
Epstein
Echo Arena
Playhouse
Nepture Theatre
Empire
Zanzibar
O2 Academy
Studio2
Arts Club
The Phil
Haus
St. Lukes
Unity
Olympia
Mountford Hall
Valley
Phase 1
Kitchen Street
Kazimer
Camp and Furnace
District
Meraki
Outpost
Hangar34
Cavern Club
Cavern Pub
Jacaranda

And probably another 200 odd that do great intimate gigs with local bands
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 12:25:24 pm by Andy @ Allerton! »

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #1219 on: August 29, 2022, 02:16:14 pm »
Great venues in Liverpool

And probably another 200 odd that do great intimate gigs with local bands

Feel like we've drifted away from the original point being made here. Odd list.

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #1220 on: August 29, 2022, 02:20:31 pm »
Is Gorilla still open? The Ritz is reasonable. Tbf Manchester does beat us for gig venues but I have nostalgic love for The Arts Club and still think it’s genuinely great.

Yeah, and pretty busy too by the looks of it: https://www.thisisgorilla.com/stage-club/

First visited back in 2017 myself, but have made 7/8 visits since.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1221 on: August 29, 2022, 02:24:23 pm »
Odd list.

Usual Andy bollocks.

Kazimier is closed, years ago. Stockroom is nice, true, but only good for tiny bands. O2 Academy is a fucking awful venue. Is Studio 2 even still open? Epstein and Neptune Theatres are, erm...the same place renamed.

Loads of theatres in there that aren't really used for bands, about half the list.

Liverpool has no answer to the Ritz, Gorilla, Yes, Deaf Institute etc.

It doesn't make you a bad Liverpudlian to admit that there are a few reasons why bands will choose Manchester over Liverpool.

Personally I dislike the Arts Club and actively avoid going to gigs there. No vibe.

Quarry is where its at. Although like the Olympia, it's a ballache to get to.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #1222 on: August 29, 2022, 02:35:12 pm »
Usual Andy bollocks.

Curious to understand the criteria behind discerning between the "great" and the rest in that list ;D.

I've no doubt you could find some decent music quite often if you had the time & energy to drop-in on venues in that list that host bands/musical arts, but it seemed to me that it was ticketed events where people were deliberately seeking a particular band/artist that were being implied in the conversation.

It doesn't make you a bad Liverpudlian to admit that there are a few reasons why bands will choose Manchester over Liverpool.

Agreed. I'd feel like it'd be a shame to miss out on so much for the sake of bloody-minded myopia.

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #1223 on: August 29, 2022, 02:38:40 pm »

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1224 on: August 29, 2022, 02:46:32 pm »
Doesn't make you a bad scouser & all that, but bands often prefer Manchester over Liverpool, more bigger capacity venues that cater for every level, some of the venues in Liverpool are tiny, what does the O2 Academy hold, think it's less than 1k, when you can get more than 3k in the O2 Apollo.

Manchester is a bit easier to get as well, more so if you're coming from overseas, even though Manchester Airport is a mess right now, more direct international flights, they have more direct trains too

That's not being a bas scouser, that's being realistic
#Sausages

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #1225 on: August 29, 2022, 02:51:50 pm »
Doesn't make you a bad scouser & all that, but bands often prefer Manchester over Liverpool, more bigger capacity venues that cater for every level, some of the venues in Liverpool are tiny, what does the O2 Academy hold, think it's less than 1k, when you can get more than 3k in the O2 Apollo.

Manchester is a bit easier to get as well, more so if you're coming from overseas, even though Manchester Airport is a mess right now, more direct international flights, they have more direct trains too

According to a quick search (of the 'major' venues; some missing for sure)...

Manchester Arena 21k capacity
Liverpool Arena 11k

Manchester Apollo: 3.5k
Liverpool Olympia 2k

Manchester Academy 2.6k
Manchester Ritz 1.5k
Liverpool Academy 1.2k

Manchester Gorilla 550
Liverpool Arts Club 500

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #1226 on: August 29, 2022, 03:02:04 pm »

Pump that bas
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1227 on: August 29, 2022, 03:05:42 pm »
According to a quick search (of the 'major' venues; some missing for sure)...

Manchester Arena 21k capacity
Liverpool Arena 11k

Manchester Apollo: 3.5k
Liverpool Olympia 2k

Manchester Academy 2.6k
Manchester Ritz 1.5k
Liverpool Academy 1.2k

Manchester Gorilla 550
Liverpool Arts Club 500

Didn't realise the Liverpool Academy had different performance areas, the one i was looking at was Academy 2, holds 500, Academy 1 holds 1.2k
#Sausages

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1228 on: August 29, 2022, 03:47:59 pm »
Yeah well anyone who goes to Manchester for a night out can’t be in Andy’s gang  ::)

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1229 on: August 30, 2022, 11:17:33 am »
Podcasts are shite and give a voice to anybody and everybody to spout their shite opinions.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1230 on: August 30, 2022, 11:21:35 am »
Podcasts are shite and give a voice to anybody and everybody to spout their shite opinions.

Or some podcasts are shite and some are great, they give everyone the chance to voice their opinion that you can either agree or disagree with.

You could take your quote and change podcast to almost any form of media, including RAWK
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #1231 on: August 30, 2022, 11:22:21 am »
Or some podcasts are shite and some are great, they give everyone the chance to voice their opinion that you can either agree or disagree with.

You could take your quote and change podcast to almost any form of media, including RAWK

Yeah, a podcast is just an easier way of listening to the radio you like....
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1232 on: August 30, 2022, 11:27:38 am »

That's why I posted it in the Unpopular Opinions thread. Or is this the change somebodies mind about an Unpopular Opinion thread?

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1233 on: August 30, 2022, 11:27:49 am »
Feel like we've drifted away from the original point being made here. Odd list.

Can only comment on places I've personally been over the years (But not so much lately)

Seen bands in pretty much all of those.

Don't really go out watching bands that often any more and have seen a handful in Manchester (The Apollo usually) which wasn't the best.

If I'm going to be watching a band thesedays, then it would usually be in London if they weren't in Liverpool.

But been a while :) 

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1234 on: August 30, 2022, 11:34:18 am »
That's why I posted it in the Unpopular Opinions thread. Or is this the change somebodies mind about an Unpopular Opinion thread?

generally people have commented on other peoples unpopular opinion and it seems to be quite a popular thread.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1235 on: August 30, 2022, 11:45:37 am »
generally people have commented on other peoples unpopular opinion and it seems to be quite a popular thread.

This thread is shite then. That is my unpopular opinion.

;D

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1236 on: August 30, 2022, 11:55:20 am »
This thread is shite then. That is my unpopular opinion.

;D

Poppy?

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1237 on: August 30, 2022, 01:27:29 pm »
AndyMuller is just a lite version of me..

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1238 on: August 30, 2022, 01:30:53 pm »
AndyMuller is just a lite version of me..

But Andy@Allerton gets mullered more.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1239 on: August 30, 2022, 01:51:21 pm »
But Andy@Allerton gets mullered more.

Nowt wrong with a good Mullering :)