Author Topic: It's a conspiraceh  (Read 45374 times)

Offline Bioluminescence

• Hidden Gem
  • Legacy Fan
Re: It's a conspiraceh
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2020, 04:47:49 pm »
There's a conspiracy theories handbook!?

Wow!

:D

And very informative it is. I recommend it. Quick read what's more, what's not to like?

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2020, 04:50:25 pm »

Absolutely agree on all points.

WRT people disenfranchised with 'politics as normal' as you put it, I had a waffle about this and its impact on recent political matters in the US Election thread - https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=342706.msg17305834#msg17305834.

Millions upon millions of people DO feel disenfranchised. Jobs are precarious, and an increasing proportion are paid at minimum wage and/or on a temp or ZHC basis. House prices are kept artificially high through massive levels of investment in houses to rent out by people seeking a RoI better than the 1% a bank invariably gives. And we're all bombarded with advertising and a culture that screams your life is a failure if you don't have a nice house/good car/foreign holidays/new kitchen/designer gear/etc/etc.

Oh that is so true. I had an example of the influence of social media a few days ago on people warped sense of self.

I will keep this as short as I can. My wife puts together playlists for classes she gives at her gym.She takes hours doing them. She asks people in her classes not to video them because apparently there is high level espionage with people nicking playlists (I know, amused me greatly). Anyway, some fella had indeed posted a video of her class on social media. She mentioned this to me and I was actually supportive of this fella. I said that it is just a one off. Don`t worry about it, no point in getting into a debate etc etc. Anyway, she ignored my advice and asked him very politely to remove it. Various messages were exchanged and it turned out that his reticence to remove it was because "he would lose followers". This is a 40+ year old man arsed about the number of followers he has. I think it is fair to say my view of the situation changed after that. I couldn`t believe that someone nearly my age gave a flying fuck about followers. Narcissism is rife. The herd mentality follows.

Black Mirror gets it spot on with how shit like this ultimately will matter to people. Thankfully I remain stoic in my opposition to join any social media whatsoever. In fact RAWK is the only place I go to online for anything approaching a discussion etc.

Not quite sure how any of that ties in with the rise of conspiracy theories but there is probably a link in the chain somewhere !
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2020, 05:06:42 pm »
I don't think this has really changed by modern forces like social media etc.  I think there were plenty of conspiracy theorists out there back in the day and things like Diana being murdered, aliens at area 51, MMR etc. were all pretty mainstream opinions.  Everyone knew a classic pub bore who would get going on stuff like this after a couple of pints.  The X-Files was the biggest show on TV for a while and I know a lot of people who weren't exactly sure it was a work of fiction.  You could buy magazines that covered all this nonsense in WH Smiths.  The MMR hoax was practically endorsed by the Prime Minister and his wife at the time, as well as a lot of the mainstream press.

What maybe has changed is that outside forces are trying to harness this kind of thing to their benefit.  So the aliens at area 51 have been replaced with a deep state conspiracy that only Donald Trump can combat for some reason.

Shows what you know. Donald trump is way too busy ridding the world of a massive paedophile ring. They're responsible for raping and sacrificing 22000 kids a year. Naturally the Clintons are involved, but the pope has also been arrested and all the gold from the vatican has been shipped to fort knox. Apparently the royal family have been collared too. Covid has been created as a smokescreen to avert your attention from it all.

Funny this thread popped up today as what I wrote was a short synopsis of what a woman in work came out with last night. She's sane (no really) and not political. She's getting this info from "the horses mouth" apparently. She's really angry about the whole thing.
I thought she was joking at first, then I started thinking she was having a breakdown until finally it became clear she believed it all implicitly.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2020, 05:10:34 pm »

Shows what you know. Donald trump is way too busy ridding the world of a massive paedophile ring. They're responsible for raping and sacrificing 22000 kids a year. Naturally the Clintons are involved, but the pope has also been arrested and all the gold from the vatican has been shipped to fort knox. Apparently the royal family have been collared too. Covid has been created as a smokescreen to avert your attention from it all.

Funny this thread popped up today as what I wrote was a short synopsis of what a woman in work came out with last night. She's sane (no really) and not political. She's getting this info from "the horses mouth" apparently. She's really angry about the whole thing.
I thought she was joking at first, then I started thinking she was having a breakdown until finally it became clear she believed it all implicitly.

No she's not mate !
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2020, 05:16:32 pm »
Most (if not all) on here are familiar with the data exploitation via FB by Cambridge Analytica, etc, and subsequent outcomes of various elections, inc of course the last USA election and the Brexit referendum.

But when FB launched some years ago it was merely a place to connect with family, friends (old and new), etc.  Such is the extent today of ‘conspiracy’ type lies peddled and shared by some connections, you’re left wondering how you ever had anything in common with said connections.  Poisonous stuff (and people) on there. 

Don’t have a twitter account so not sure if it’s similar.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2020, 05:30:01 pm »
No she's not mate !

You must be one of them 8).  Seriously though she seems to spend a huge amount of time on the internet listening to podcasts. It got me thinking about how ordinary people get radicalized online. There's a large cohort of people who aren't stupid or insane, but are missing something and can be easily led. They're the type of people cult leaders thrive on.
In the real world it's a challange for a cult to find them. Online they find the cult.

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2020, 06:40:19 pm »
There was an article in the Spiegel a few weeks ago about QAnon followers. The author said that if you want to believe to a group (any group, but for example a religious cult), usually you have to take part in certain behaviour, and quite often also make some sort of sacrifice. With religions, its often somehing like not eating certain foods or at certain times, for example. Often, the bigger the sacrifice, the closer the group feels. For the QAnon people, the sacrifice is to believe in the most blatant nonsense (and be seen to believe in it in public). They sacrifice their common sense.

....not sure if that is conclusive. They did argue it a bit better in the article. ;)
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2020, 07:00:13 pm »
Have you heard that one about a guy called 'Jesus' or something like that.

Yeh supposedly the son of God!

Someone said there's a book about it somewhere.

Re the 5G hokum - I have an intelligent mate (no, he really is) and he was into the whole let's destroy the masts thing.

I managed to persuaded him that it was all bullshit and he eventually acquiesced.

But it did make me question that relationship.

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2020, 07:07:22 pm »
At a wedding last year I was sitting next to a UKIP councillor for Spalding, Lincolnshire. It was fascinating - we obvioulsy disagreed on everything politically and I asked hime where he got his information about things like the European Army (one of the main reasons he voted Leave) and he said it was all from Facebook and Twitter. His Twitter timeline was mental (literally) full of the most bizarre stories with people retweeting and reinforcing the infomration bubble.

He proudly said he doesn't watch or read the 'Mainstream Media' and as I said to him, he will never be exposed to the world that I live in. He was fine with that.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Qston

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2020, 08:44:06 pm »
There was an article in the Spiegel a few weeks ago about QAnon followers. The author said that if you want to believe to a group (any group, but for example a religious cult), usually you have to take part in certain behaviour, and quite often also make some sort of sacrifice. With religions, its often somehing like not eating certain foods or at certain times, for example. Often, the bigger the sacrifice, the closer the group feels. For the QAnon people, the sacrifice is to believe in the most blatant nonsense (and be seen to believe in it in public). They sacrifice their common sense.

....not sure if that is conclusive. They did argue it a bit better in the article. ;)

Hold on. Is RAWK a cult ?  Al needs to make a sacrifice.

In seriousness though you could make a case that there is a feeling of belonging that you get with following a team. Odd conflating the two but you get my point. Human  nature

Offline Qston

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2020, 08:47:21 pm »
At a wedding last year I was sitting next to a UKIP councillor for Spalding, Lincolnshire. It was fascinating - we obvioulsy disagreed on everything politically and I asked hime where he got his information about things like the European Army (one of the main reasons he voted Leave) and he said it was all from Facebook and Twitter. His Twitter timeline was mental (literally) full of the most bizarre stories with people retweeting and reinforcing the infomration bubble.

He proudly said he doesn't watch or read the 'Mainstream Media' and as I said to him, he will never be exposed to the world that I live in. He was fine with that.

Bet he had british beef. I actually enjoy meeting people like this. I like a good discussion - even with people like that. My brother gets married next year and there will be a few there like that. I will be part entertained and part horrified.

I get what you mean about reinforcement of the information.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2020, 08:55:50 pm »

Interesting. Its the kind of conversation you can't have online as depending on the think tank, one side invariably gets shouted down.

But how do you combat it? The mainstream media are persona non grata so if they try tackle it they just enforce the veiws of these people.

Im finding the topic interesting as last night was my first experience of someone who's a believer. Never heard of Qanon before and her views seem to fit that phenomenon.

Never had social media either and it feels like more of a blessing every day.

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2020, 09:05:07 pm »
Hold on. Is RAWK a cult ?  Al needs to make a sacrifice.

In seriousness though you could make a case that there is a feeling of belonging that you get with following a team. Odd conflating the two but you get my point. Human  nature

Ah, I missed mentioning the feeling of belonging, hah. And yes, I would think supporting a team would fall into that category.  There is emotional investment, ridicule (and more extreme abuse) from fans of other teams, etc. Just think of all the lost hours of work, dreaming about the Champions :P

Of course, the sacrifice is much more painful when you decide to belong to the blue side...
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Qston

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2020, 09:42:03 pm »
Ah, I missed mentioning the feeling of belonging, hah. And yes, I would think supporting a team would fall into that category.  There is emotional investment, ridicule (and more extreme abuse) from fans of other teams, etc. Just think of all the lost hours of work, dreaming about the Champions :P

Of course, the sacrifice is much more painful when you decide to belong to the blue side...

Thread on conspiracy theories, their spread and development leads us back to......Everton  ;D

Offline Andy_lfc

• Kopite
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2020, 07:28:02 am »

This fascinates me, how someone who appears to lead a normal existence can be manipulated by what they are exposed to on their social media feed to believe this stuff.  A lot of what you described is all part of Q-Anon.  I have been listening to a podcast called Q-Anon Anonymous that tracks the spread of Q-Anon through news and politics, it also explains the various parts of Q-Anon lore and describes why they are genuinely batshit crazy.

It mentioned a Youtube film called 'Fall of the Cabal' several times as a place where many people start their journey to becoming 'red-pilled'.  I decided to watch it, hoping that I wouldn't end up a follower of Q.  3 hours of pure indoctrination later and I can confidently tell you that Trump is a manifestation of the return of Jesus Christ, Hillary Clinton is a devil worshiper, we should all try to drink the blood of terrified children and the arrests will start any day now, oh, and it is all George Soros' fault.  I don't recommend watching it, if nothing else than because of the terrible narration.

Seriously though, I can see how easy it is for someone to get sucked in to it all.  It constantly asks you questions and 'makes you think', it gives convenient answers as to why powerful people are powerful and you are not, and it gives hope that someone with deep inside knowledge is letting you know that the new world is just around the corner, everything will be better if you 'trust the plan'.

It absolutely felt religious and, frankly, quite scary.  After the 2020 elections, there will be Q-Anon followers in Congress in the US.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2020, 12:36:23 am »
Considering there's over 7b people in the world, many with phones, cameras, internet computers to be able to be used to capture evidence and do research, what are the 5 biggest conspiracy theories of the past 20 years that have proven to be true?
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2020, 12:47:56 am »
Considering there's over 7b people in the world, many with phones, cameras, internet computers to be able to be used to capture evidence and do research, what are the 5 biggest conspiracy theories of the past 20 years that have proven to be true?

What you don't realise is that the aliens in their UFO's knew that we were developing phones with cameras that millions of people would have handy and also that cctv would become widespread that would also possibly show them doing their nefarious things and anal probing activities, so they stopped visiting...

Or, they now disguise themselves as human beings or domesticated cattle (or something) and their UFO's are now camouflaged to resemble normal aircraft complete with fake chemtrails...

It's the same with Ghosts, they too knew, being in the afterlife and obviously privy to such stuff from the future, that mobile phone cameras would be invented so decided not to play games with humans anymore and remain invisible.

But the Fairies and Goblins and other assorted small folk, they are all now sadly dead, killed by 5G signals.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2020, 08:06:52 am »
What you don't realise is that the aliens in their UFO's knew that we were developing phones with cameras that millions of people would have handy and also that cctv would become widespread that would also possibly show them doing their nefarious things and anal probing activities, so they stopped visiting...

Or, they now disguise themselves as human beings or domesticated cattle (or something) and their UFO's are now camouflaged to resemble normal aircraft complete with fake chemtrails...

It's the same with Ghosts, they too knew, being in the afterlife and obviously privy to such stuff from the future, that mobile phone cameras would be invented so decided not to play games with humans anymore and remain invisible.

But the Fairies and Goblins and other assorted small folk, they are all now sadly dead, killed by 5G signals.

By the very fact that you didn't raise the conspiracy that we are ruled by lizards (for evidence just look at how long the Royal family live) proves that YOU are a lizard familiar and are hiding the truth.

Online RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2020, 03:38:25 pm »
I wonder if all of these people who religiously follow all of these crank conspiracies would have benefited by exposure to established religion?

They could have wasted as much energy praying in a mosque or taking communion or even better going to confession or chanting hari Krishna. At least then their fantasies would have stood the test if time and left the rest of us to get on with our lives.

If anything most of the conspiracy theorists I've met are religious.
YNWA.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2020, 04:03:37 pm »

Religions are mostly conspiracy theories when you get down to it. The have an all-seeing and all-knowing power that controls everything and is the answer to everything. 

The only significant difference is that religions tend to have supernatural 'agents' and conspiracy theories have mortal 'agents'. In grand conspiracies it's the organisation that is immortal - whether it's the Freemasons, aliens, the Illuminati, the Elders of Zion etc...
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2020, 04:22:12 pm »

Interesting.

All the conspiracy theorists I've met are atheists and strongly anti-religion.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2020, 04:28:38 pm »
Interesting.

All the conspiracy theorists I've met are atheists and strongly anti-religion.

If you mean the anti vax, anti 5g, flat earth, climate change denying conspiracy theorists I'd agree.

And they tend to have libertarian/anarchist political views to boot.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2020, 04:31:50 pm »
Ban social media. The downsides outweigh the good.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2020, 06:41:34 pm »
Including rawk?!
Ban social media. The downsides outweigh the good.
I believe if you don't believe in at least one conspiracy theory you're being naive. The trick is choosing which to hang your hat on.

Many theories are inconclusive. These should not be believed or disbelieved without further evidence.

Some are just good stories and should be treated as such, fiction.

And some are just batshit crazy.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2020, 08:16:08 pm »
So apparently Trump will expose the moon landings as a hoax upon leaving office.  Considering that NASA has allegedly had people murdered for threatening to reveal this, I'm not sure that's a wise move from Donnie. ;D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/0SnUaeMuyB0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/0SnUaeMuyB0</a>
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2020, 02:46:10 pm »
Was reading some crap on FB a couple weeks ago peddling various conspiracies, and then read the below link on the BBC which references the conspiracies, originating with something called 'QAnon'.  I'd never heard of it but seems to peddle various conspiracies.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53849295

QAnon: Facebook takes action on conspiracy groups

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2020, 03:32:03 pm »
Was reading some crap on FB a couple weeks ago peddling various conspiracies, and then read the below link on the BBC which references the conspiracies, originating with something called 'QAnon'.  I'd never heard of it but seems to peddle various conspiracies.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53849295

QAnon: Facebook takes action on conspiracy groups

QAnon is the daddy of all conspiracy theories.

Those American Studies graduates in St Petersburg who promulgate this stuff must piss themselves at how gullible the American public are.

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2020, 02:34:29 pm »
Speaking of QAnon:

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/YfJq1K20YZg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/YfJq1K20YZg</a>

Online RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: August 24, 2020, 10:05:53 am »
The "Save our Children" protests are mainly QAnon by the way. It was pretty surprising so many turned up to the Liverpool protest.

It's obviously an important cause BUT it has been hijacked by the right-wing for some easily debunked conspiracies. Prince Andrew might be a nonce but the focus on "celebrity" sex trafficking is problematic when most of these people don't seem to be too concerned about every day trafficking.
YNWA.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: August 24, 2020, 01:59:30 pm »
The "Save our Children" protests are mainly QAnon by the way. It was pretty surprising so many turned up to the Liverpool protest.

It's obviously an important cause BUT it has been hijacked by the right-wing for some easily debunked conspiracies. Prince Andrew might be a nonce but the focus on "celebrity" sex trafficking is problematic when most of these people don't seem to be too concerned about every day trafficking.

I would imagine the Liverpool protesters were the same sort who were ranting on about Covid, 5g conspiracies in Castle Street a couple weeks ago.

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: August 24, 2020, 02:20:00 pm »
I would imagine the Liverpool protesters were the same sort who were ranting on about Covid, 5g conspiracies in Castle Street a couple weeks ago.

North Liverpool has what I would describe as a major issue with conspiracy theorists and the like. I don’t know if that’s the same elsewhere in the city but I think an understandable mistrust of authority is quite a natural thing here so it only makes sense that a disproportionate amount of people end up thinking along these lines.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: August 24, 2020, 02:42:31 pm »
North Liverpool has what I would describe as a major issue with conspiracy theorists and the like. I don’t know if that’s the same elsewhere in the city but I think an understandable mistrust of authority is quite a natural thing here so it only makes sense that a disproportionate amount of people end up thinking along these lines.

The people protesting in Castle Street looked like the usual middle class protesters with no real problems in their lives but feel the need to have a rant now and then.

Growing up on a Council estate we had waves of unfounded rumours but social media has now doubt given some credence to utter guff.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: August 24, 2020, 08:56:03 pm »

Fuck me. Completely deluded. I found a video of the London and Liverpool marches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABkMzQ9Qt7I

Interesting to hear the shouts of 'take your mask off' in the Liverpool section.

Of course child traffiking is bad, or it would be if these deluded numbskulls could actually say what traffiking they are protesting against. The #pizzagate hashtag is included in the video and along with the anti-mask shouts suggests these people are responding to a right-wing conspiracy theory that ironically, is part of a conspiracy to undermine democracy and the Democratic Party in America.

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: August 24, 2020, 09:05:46 pm »
The Unbelievable Story of Carl Beech is on BBC 2 shortly. A classic example of a story that people wanted to believe because, like #pizzagate, it fits with an association of power and sexual perversion.

I'll write a bit more after I've watched it.

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: August 24, 2020, 11:38:39 pm »
Religions are mostly conspiracy theories when you get down to it. The have an all-seeing and all-knowing power that controls everything and is the answer to everything. 

The only significant difference is that religions tend to have supernatural 'agents' and conspiracy theories have mortal 'agents'. In grand conspiracies it's the organisation that is immortal - whether it's the Freemasons, aliens, the Illuminati, the Elders of Zion etc...

I see what you're saying but I think it's really a completely different thought process. For a lot of people the reason they follow a religion is it's because their norm, what they've been brought up as being told as true. The tendencies towards conspiracies is based on the opposite, this is what we've been told is true, so it isn't.

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #75 on: August 25, 2020, 12:42:31 am »
Fuck me. Completely deluded. I found a video of the London and Liverpool marches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABkMzQ9Qt7I

Interesting to hear the shouts of 'take your mask off' in the Liverpool section.

Of course child traffiking is bad, or it would be if these deluded numbskulls could actually say what traffiking they are protesting against. The #pizzagate hashtag is included in the video and along with the anti-mask shouts suggests these people are responding to a right-wing conspiracy theory that ironically, is part of a conspiracy to undermine democracy and the Democratic Party in America.

You have to wonder how many of those people who want to "save our children" have actually fucked up their children's future by voting for Brexit? I would imagine that the number is quite high....

I see what you're saying but I think it's really a completely different thought process. For a lot of people the reason they follow a religion is it's because their norm, what they've been brought up as being told as true. The tendencies towards conspiracies is based on the opposite, this is what we've been told is true, so it isn't.

I would also add that I think religions used to be a way to make living together work. You had basic rules and people followed them, because a "higher power" was watching them and noting all the sins. They were a means to strengthen a community and focussed on the people within that circle treating each other well. I don't really see that with conspiracy theories. Yes, they kind of bring people together, but it's basically just a way of having a go at others - be that "the elites" or "the sheeple" and give the believers a feeling of superiority.

That said, there is also no doubt that a lot of horrible stuff has happened and is still happening in the name of religion. I just feel that religion has served a purpose and can still serve a purpose in how our societies develop. Not by people following "the church" and whatever the pope is saying, but by bringing people together and basically holding up those values like "love thy neighbour" or support the people who are in need of help. I'm not religious. If it wasn't for weddings or funerals, I would never be in church. However, because of my job I do know a bit about what local church groups are doing to strengthen their communities and I think that is a good thing about religion.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #76 on: August 25, 2020, 06:28:27 am »
What was that film with Mel Gibson called?

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: August 25, 2020, 08:10:30 am »
What was that film with Mel Gibson called?

Where do you even start with somethig like this?

There's a fundamental difference between a conspiracy, of which there are many, and conspiracy theories. 

And many on that that list are only 'true' if you're a conspiracy theorist.

The most obvious to start with is 23, the Kennedy Assassination. The Select Committee on Assassinations conclusion that there were multiple shooters has been dealt with. It was the misreporting of a noise picked up by a police motorcycle radio. The fact that its on the list is typical - maintaining the fiction that it was a conspiracy based on one line in a 1976 report that also includes the following:

Lee Harvey Oswald fired three shots at President John F. Kennedy. The second and third shots he fired struck the President. The third shot he fired killed the President.

President Kennedy was struck by two rifle shots fired from behind him.
    The shots that struck President Kennedy from behind him were fired from the sixth floor window of the southeast corner of the Texas School Book Depository building.
    Lee Harvey Oswald owned the rifle that was used to fire the shots from the sixth floor window of the southeast comer of the Texas School Book Depository building.
    Lee Harvey Oswald, shortly before the assassination, had access to and was present on the sixth floor of the Texas School Book Depository building.
    Lee Harvey Oswald's other actions tend to support the conclusion that he assassinated President Kennedy.

Bohemian Grove and the Illuminati are real things, they just aren't organisations that run the world.

If you're putting the Manhattan Project in there you need to include D Day, the development of Radar ad a thousand other things that were kept secret during wartime.

Shadow Government?... really? It's true if you're a Trump supporter and believe in QAnon.

To refer back to my post about Carl Beech. One constant falacy used by conspiracy theorists is that because one thing is true, everything is true... Jimmy Saville was a real predatory paedophile so Carl Beech's ridiculous fantasies were treated as real. The Manhattan Project was real therefore Area 51 is a secret site housing flying saucers... But it's actually quite easy to tell the difference. Evidence.

There was plenty of evidence that Saville was a paedophile. It may have been dismissed at the time but it was there. There was no evidence that Leon Britton was a paedophile, just the fantasies of a child molestor.

The Manhattan Project was kept secret during the war (unfortunately not from the Russians thanks to Carl Fuchs) but there are documents, films, records, testimony and the detonations of atomic devices that prove it happened. Area 51 as a centre for alien investogations is supported by nothing.

And the great danger of lists like the one you posted is that it devalues the real conspiracies. It's insidious and opens the mind to the shite spread by the Leave campaign for Brexit and Trump in the US. If you can't tell the difference between Watergate and the Illuminati you are not in a position to dismiss stories of European Armies or the 'Deep State'.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 08:24:52 am by Alan_X »
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Online redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: August 25, 2020, 08:24:09 am »
Hah, I was looking at that list, but it seems an odd mix of things that just exist, things that turned out more dangerous than we thought, some real conspiracies that have no theory attached to them, some 'official secrets', and a couple of things I haven't got a clue what they're on about

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: August 25, 2020, 08:58:41 am »
Hah, I was looking at that list, but it seems an odd mix of things that just exist, things that turned out more dangerous than we thought, some real conspiracies that have no theory attached to them, some 'official secrets', and a couple of things I haven't got a clue what they're on about

Good to see Arnold Rothstein's fixing if the 1919 World Series is in there but they missed out Nucky Thompson's nefarious plot to fix the contracts for the highway to Atlantic City. :D