Author Topic: International Watch  (Read 283558 times)

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: International Watch
« Reply #80 on: March 20, 2019, 08:25:00 pm »
Heard it myself and was taken aback. Would love to know which c*nt it was.
So I hadn't misheard then as I hadn't really been paying attention.  I'd just walked in from work.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #81 on: March 20, 2019, 08:38:46 pm »
Don't have a 2 week break in the middle of March. Have the season finish a week earlier, play them at the end.
I don't understand why they don't just have a club season and an international season. It'd be more interesting to watch if they played multiple games and you might actually get some decent tactics and improvement in the national sides - I mean a big problem these days is that it's not the pinnacle of the game anymore. The national teams are not only shitter, but also play shittier football than the majority of good club sides. Look at France, for goodness sake. Had a great squad, a fine selection of the world's best players in every position, but played like a Mourinho side. Partly that's just the coach, but it's also a consequence of how international football works - you get barely any time with players and you only have, what, 7 matches max but in a relatively short space of time? No-risk football just makes sense.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #82 on: March 20, 2019, 09:39:40 pm »
The Prince of Wales returns!

Online Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #83 on: March 20, 2019, 09:44:48 pm »
The Prince of Wales returns!

Is he still at Sheffield Utd ?

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: March 20, 2019, 09:54:37 pm »
Is he still at Sheffield Utd ?

No, back home

Offline cricketrocks

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: March 20, 2019, 10:09:41 pm »
I don't understand why they don't just have a club season and an international season. It'd be more interesting to watch if they played multiple games and you might actually get some decent tactics and improvement in the national sides - I mean a big problem these days is that it's not the pinnacle of the game anymore. The national teams are not only shitter, but also play shittier football than the majority of good club sides. Look at France, for goodness sake. Had a great squad, a fine selection of the world's best players in every position, but played like a Mourinho side. Partly that's just the coach, but it's also a consequence of how international football works - you get barely any time with players and you only have, what, 7 matches max but in a relatively short space of time? No-risk football just makes sense.
I think this is spot on. It'd make it easier to get into internation football; you actually might see some team progression and it'd be less frustrating having 1 long break (even mid-season) than lots of short breaks.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 10:12:29 pm by cricketrocks »

Offline AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #86 on: March 20, 2019, 10:19:04 pm »
I think this is spot on. It'd make it easier to get into internation football; you actually might see some team progression and it'd be less frustrating having 1 long break (even mid-season) than lots of short breaks.

This. Instead of doing 4 2-week breaks, just take December and January for Internationals and then June and July again. It might even get some decent viewership during that time. Plus they could play more than 8 games in each of the breaks with the national teams. With so many breaks players just lose stupid amount of time just travelling and recovering from travels.

I never bother with International football because its all so disjointed, but if they started having all the qualifiers in a 2 month window, it might actually be fun to watch.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 10:23:23 pm by AmanShah21 »

Offline Risto

• Anny Roader
« Reply #87 on: March 20, 2019, 10:27:22 pm »
Ben Woodburn scored a late winner for Wales in their friendly. Good to see him do something again after being out on loan and having had some injury problems I think.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: March 21, 2019, 08:47:08 am »
Looked like a nice Wilson dribble and cross to the back stick, and wait for it... wait for it...

He stuck it in with his chest. Woodburnho.

https://twitter.com/NabySZN/status/1108482927376125952
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #89 on: March 21, 2019, 09:19:06 am »
I keep seeing people moaning on here about the international break but what do they suggest should happen? I can understand that it's annoying at this point in the season when we're in a title race but they need to play the qualifiers at some point.

Do the following;

Year 1 (Pre-World Cup) - Season finishes in May. Players get a month off. Then play all qualification games for the following years World Cup. No friendlies or shite through the year.

Year 2 (World Cup) - Season finishes in May. Players get a month off. Qualified teams play in the world cup. No friendly shite.

Year 3 (Pre-Euros etc.) - Season finishes in May. Players get a month off. Then play all qualification games for the following years World Cup. No friendlies or shite through the year.

Year 4 (Euros etc.) - Season finishes in May. Players get a month off. Qualified teams play in the regional bollocks cups. No friendly shite.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 09:21:29 am by Andy @ Allerton »
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #90 on: March 21, 2019, 09:38:34 am »
Do the following;

Year 1 (Pre-World Cup) - Season finishes in May. Players get a month off. Then play all qualification games for the following years World Cup. No friendlies or shite through the year.

Year 2 (World Cup) - Season finishes in May. Players get a month off. Qualified teams play in the world cup. No friendly shite.

Year 3 (Pre-Euros etc.) - Season finishes in May. Players get a month off. Then play all qualification games for the following years World Cup. No friendlies or shite through the year.

Year 4 (Euros etc.) - Season finishes in May. Players get a month off. Qualified teams play in the regional bollocks cups. No friendly shite.

I'm no fan of international football but this is terrible suggestion.

Let's take Year 1 for example. Season finishes in May. Then month off for the players. So we are in June and need to play all the qualification games for a World Cup. In the last World Cup that equate to 10-12 games for European Nations. Also the players won't have had any pre-season training for this run of 10-12 games after 4 weeks off.

How long does it take to complete pre-season training with the national team and then play 10-12 competitive games? 6-8 weeks. Maybe more. We are then in mid July at the very earliest.

Do the players then need another rest or pre-season with their clubs? Or do you just start the season in August as usual?

If you then have a preseason with clubs then you are starting the season in September and need to get all the games into a smaller time period. You could argue the free international weekends help this.

If there is no preseason then you are essentially letting the national teams provide pre-season training for your players.

At least with the current set up every other year, European players are generally finished by June and have 4- 6 weeks off without an international tournament. The suggestion above would make every summer like a World Cup year and the players would be goosed.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Online BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #91 on: March 21, 2019, 10:07:08 am »
I'm no fan of international football but this is terrible suggestion.

Let's take Year 1 for example. Season finishes in May. Then month off for the players. So we are in June and need to play all the qualification games for a World Cup. In the last World Cup that equate to 10-12 games for European Nations. Also the players won't have had any pre-season training for this run of 10-12 games after 4 weeks off.

How long does it take to complete pre-season training with the national team and then play 10-12 competitive games? 6-8 weeks. Maybe more. We are then in mid July at the very earliest.

Do the players then need another rest or pre-season with their clubs? Or do you just start the season in August as usual?

If you then have a preseason with clubs then you are starting the season in September and need to get all the games into a smaller time period. You could argue the free international weekends help this.

If there is no preseason then you are essentially letting the national teams provide pre-season training for your players.

At least with the current set up every other year, European players are generally finished by June and have 4- 6 weeks off without an international tournament. The suggestion above would make every summer like a World Cup year and the players would be goosed.

As it stands, the domestic season has four two-week breaks for international football. That's effectively two months off. So we could easily fit the domestic season from the beginning of September to the end of April, have the internationals (qualifiers or tournaments) in May and June, give the players July off, and have them report for a full pre-season in August.

The only problem with that is that we'd have to survive four months without club football. :)

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #92 on: March 21, 2019, 12:17:44 pm »
As it stands, the domestic season has four two-week breaks for international football. That's effectively two months off. So we could easily fit the domestic season from the beginning of September to the end of April, have the internationals (qualifiers or tournaments) in May and June, give the players July off, and have them report for a full pre-season in August.

The only problem with that is that we'd have to survive four months without club football. :)

For me I'd rather have our players under the control of national managers for short period over multiple occasions rather than long stretches on a yearly basis.

You see how goosed some players are after a World Cup or Euros. I think that might be worse if you had that replicated every summer with qualifiers too.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Perham

• Effes v2.0 - RAWK's Official Dog Snogger!
  • Legacy Fan
  • All is well
« Reply #93 on: March 21, 2019, 12:32:08 pm »
Do the following;

This only takes European teams in to account. Obviously for players who play for national teams which aren't in Europe, This schedule won't work as they don't play in the euros.

For example, how do you account for continental competitions which take place a year after the world cup? When would you fit the qualifiers? You need to account for every single national team and their respective schedules so it's not as simple as just playing all the international in the summer when there isn't a major tournament.

Also, this doesn't take in to account the qualifiers for national teams outside of UEFA and the qualification process for the world cup is much longer than in Europe. For example, the qualification process in North America consists of five rounds of qualifying including two group stages. You couldn't fit all of those fixtures in to one Summer.
if I came home to allison in bed with my wife I'd ask him to phone Virgil to see if he wanted to pop round too.

Online BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #94 on: March 21, 2019, 07:46:34 pm »
Keep everything crossed for our Dutch lads who are about to kick off.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: March 21, 2019, 07:53:03 pm »
Both van Dijk and Wijnaldum started for Holland.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 07:54:57 pm by Barneylfc »
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: March 21, 2019, 08:09:24 pm »
Wijnaldum scores for Holland.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: March 21, 2019, 08:43:37 pm »
Lovren not involved for Croatia, not on the bench either.

Offline CanuckYNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: March 21, 2019, 08:45:05 pm »
Lovren not involved for Croatia, not on the bench either.

Hes banned for this match mate

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: March 21, 2019, 08:54:06 pm »

Cheers, forgot about that

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: March 21, 2019, 09:32:57 pm »

Van Dijk scores for Holland.

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: March 21, 2019, 09:40:01 pm »

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: March 21, 2019, 09:43:13 pm »

Online BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #103 on: March 21, 2019, 09:43:38 pm »
More importantly neither were injured. 1 down, about 12 to go.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: March 22, 2019, 07:50:16 am »
Looked like a nice Wilson dribble and cross to the back stick, and wait for it... wait for it...

Wilson didn’t play, saved for Sunday

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #105 on: March 22, 2019, 09:29:35 am »

Wonderful piece of news.

No Trent, no Shaqiri for 2 games, no Robertson & Lovren for 1 game. Good stuff!

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #106 on: March 22, 2019, 09:36:31 am »

I watched the all touches video of this game and Woodburn, with that No. 10 shirt and all, with that dribbling style and disguised passes, had an uncanny resemblance to our previous 10.

Coutinho kept running through my mind whenever he had the ball.

Offline penwhen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #107 on: March 22, 2019, 06:36:10 pm »
Henderson starts for England.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #108 on: March 22, 2019, 06:41:31 pm »
Henderson starts for England.

boooo, I was hoping he'd get an extra rest. Not that I'm surprised they want him to start like! Just being selfish.

Online rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #109 on: March 22, 2019, 06:41:48 pm »

Playing The 1 in front of the two suits him nicely

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: March 22, 2019, 06:45:53 pm »
Hopefully this is the only match Henderson plays in

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: March 22, 2019, 06:51:01 pm »

Saw bits of the game and Woodburn looked really good. The opposition was weak and most of the Wales team weren't their regular starters (from what I can tell), but he definitely stood out quality-wise.

Offline Cu Chulainn

• "It's Peanut Butter Fascist Time!" (thinkaboutit). greedy, stupid, selfish capitalist pig who hates the poor and wants to euthanise the disabled.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: March 22, 2019, 09:20:41 pm »
Hendo's looked very good tonight, used the ball really well.

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #113 on: March 22, 2019, 09:42:32 pm »
Hendo's looked very good tonight, used the ball really well.

He was excellent, just hope he gets through the next game in one piece

Offline phonic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: March 22, 2019, 10:37:42 pm »
Watched a bit of the second half of the England game and Hendo looked really good. Hopefully they'll give him a rest in the next game.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #115 on: March 22, 2019, 11:07:46 pm »
Main thing is he’s properly fit again after Bayern and hopefully comes back fit for the remaining games for us.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: March 23, 2019, 02:09:38 am »
Hendo was excellent tonight. Main thing he was forwarding passing mainly.

Needs to shoot more though I must say.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #117 on: March 23, 2019, 06:22:41 am »
Playing The 1 in front of the two suits him nicely

I've been saying for a while that the Dutch setup brings out his attacking game really well.

Offline jlb

• Anny Roader
« Reply #118 on: March 23, 2019, 05:09:36 pm »
Firmino starts for Brazil, with Alisson and Fabinho on the bench.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #119 on: March 23, 2019, 06:19:46 pm »
Bobby subbed off after an hour.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."